PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant offers to play in 2012 Olympics

D Roses Bulls
11-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Mike Krzyzewski has a commitment from another top recruit: Kobe Bryant.

Bryant told the U.S. basketball coach that he would play in the Olympics in 2012 if the Americans want him there.

The Lakers guard was a guest on Krzyzewski's SIRIUS XM radio show Tuesday when the Duke coach asked Bryant about London.

"You guys want me there, I am there and I'm ready to defend," Bryant said. "And then when you guys need me to put some points on the board I'll do that, too."

Bryant was a starter on the U.S. team that won the gold medal in 2008 in Beijing. He sat out the world championships this summer after offseason knee surgery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=5757927

Baller1
11-02-2010, 11:44 PM
The U.S. is going to destroy the competition in 2012.

redsox0717
11-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Pfft he won't make the team.

JRisdabest
11-02-2010, 11:49 PM
eric gordon>kobe

goblazers7
11-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Is there a fiba tourney this summer? Or is it just every two years?

J4KOP99
11-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Someone better convince him not to. He doesn't seem to understand that he is getting older and can't keep playing as much as he currently does...

Take some time off during the summer Kobe. You already won your olympic gold medal.

GSRaider
11-03-2010, 12:15 AM
He wants 2 Gold medals... LEGACY

But honestly, I think we would win Gold with or without...

Raph12
11-03-2010, 12:17 AM
He needs some time off, but his love for the game and his country is just inspiring... Hopefully guys like Dwight, Lebron and Wade take notice and commit as well.

Storch
11-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Pfft he won't make the team.

eric gordon>kobe
Are you two being serious?

I think the entire team that won the olympics last time should go play again. They should defend their title so there are no excuses of the US winning as a fluke.

Hustlenomics
11-03-2010, 12:28 AM
nobody wants you chucking on the team ..stick to doing it with the lakers

shep33
11-03-2010, 12:57 AM

What? Last time I checked he was the defensive stopper for that team, and was clutch down the stretch when team USA needed buckets. Every game he guarded the oppostions best perimeter player... whether it be pg, sg, or sf.

Hunter48MVP
11-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Kobe Bryant will be 34 by 2012. He legs will not have anything left in the tank when the season starts. He should just rest.

Hustlenomics
11-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Kobe Bryant will be 34 by 2012. He legs will not have anything left in the tank when the season starts. He should just rest.

^ this

Storch
11-03-2010, 01:02 AM

You obviously either are baiting or you watched no olympic basketball games that the USA team played. :pity:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-03-2010, 01:06 AM

coming from boston fan

More-Than-Most
11-03-2010, 01:08 AM
I agree he should rest to benefit the lakers but I love the heart the guy has.

JJ_JKidd
11-03-2010, 01:20 AM
What's with the age anyway? Kidd played in '08 and he was the oldest.

Wilson
11-03-2010, 01:33 AM
People saying he should take the summer off to rest up, I can understand where you're all coming from. The thing is, you'd be asking Kobe Bryant to not be Kobe Bryant - I think more than anything he just wants the competition. It's a different kind of competition than the NBA where he plays a completely different role, I'm sure he relishes the challenge.

Hustlenomics
11-03-2010, 01:39 AM
coming from boston fan

hmmm

richiesaurus310
11-03-2010, 02:10 AM
I think he should rest, but why not let him play if he wants to?

Bulls_fan90
11-03-2010, 04:36 AM
I'd love to see him play. Kobe is still one hell of a player. And has enough in the tank for a few years yet.

shep33
11-03-2010, 04:52 AM
People saying he should take the summer off to rest up, I can understand where you're all coming from. The thing is, you'd be asking Kobe Bryant to not be Kobe Bryant - I think more than anything he just wants the competition. It's a different kind of competition than the NBA where he plays a completely different role, I'm sure he relishes the challenge.

I agree completely.

Wade>You
11-03-2010, 06:01 AM
People saying he should take the summer off to rest up, I can understand where you're all coming from. The thing is, you'd be asking Kobe Bryant to not be Kobe Bryant - I think more than anything he just wants the competition. It's a different kind of competition than the NBA where he plays a completely different role, I'm sure he relishes the challenge.The thing I ask is, how come it took Kobe so long to join Team USA? He only joined after his 12th year in the NBA. Wade / LBJ / Melo were already playing before the start of their 2nd season as well as many other players before their 12th season.

Saying things like "Asking Kobe Bryant not to be Kobe Bryant" when talking about Team USA is revisionists' history. This is the way Nike and his PR crew want people to remember him. It's like people saying "Kobe stuck it out in LA" when he was caught on tape dissing his teammates, demanding a trade, and calling Jerry Buss an idiot. It was an offseason of Kobe trade speculation before the Lakers were gifted Gasol.

It's quite remarkable how the media changes peoples minds' and re-writes history.

Other than that, it's good to have his commitment for 2012. Big boost for USA.

Hellcrooner
11-03-2010, 06:13 AM
tip : Unlike this usmmer every other team will go with ALL of their stars to the olympics.

So, if tema usa does again send a B team expect egg on the flag.

Kobes doing the right thing

Antipod
11-03-2010, 08:32 AM
I hope he won`t - by 2012 it will be the time to give the "youngsters" the chance to shine

Squad13
11-03-2010, 08:39 AM
The thing I ask is, how come it took Kobe so long to join Team USA? He only joined after his 12th year in the NBA. Wade / LBJ / Melo were already playing before the start of their 2nd season as well as many other players before their 12th season.

Saying things like "Asking Kobe Bryant not to be Kobe Bryant" when talking about Team USA is revisionists' history. This is the way Nike and his PR crew want people to remember him. It's like people saying "Kobe stuck it out in LA" when he was caught on tape dissing his teammates, demanding a trade, and calling Jerry Buss an idiot. It was an offseason of Kobe trade speculation before the Lakers were gifted Gasol.

It's quite remarkable how the media changes peoples minds' and re-writes history.

What the hell are you talking about?
I'd love to see him calling Jerry Buss an idiot, you hater.

Wilson
11-03-2010, 09:23 AM
The thing I ask is, how come it took Kobe so long to join Team USA? He only joined after his 12th year in the NBA. Wade / LBJ / Melo were already playing before the start of their 2nd season as well as many other players before their 12th season.

Well he was a rookie for the '96 Olympics, I don't think he was even picked. He had the court case in '04. I don't know about 2000.

But I think it's important to remember how different Kobe is now than he was earlier in his career. I wonder if some more competitiveness came with his improved maturity.

Da Knicks
11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Kobe will be ancient, let the young guys play!

ko8e24
11-03-2010, 10:38 AM

After July 8th, 2010, you started hating Kobe Bryant. We get it, move on!

Everyone knows that it was either his rape case or arthroscopic knee surgeries during the summers that hindered him from playing for the Olympics and World Championships for Team USA.

RaiderLakersA's
11-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Wow, so many misinformed and/or just idiotic comments.

If you think that Kobe intends to play every minute of every game, you missed the boat! Kobe said that he would like to play in whatever capacity Coach K needs, even if that's nothing more than 2 minutes a game. I think the comparison that he used was the NBA version of Mariano Rivera.

If you think that Kobe is offering to play with the mindset of "jacking up" shots, you missed the boat! Kobe said that he wants to play and DEFEND as his primary job. Scoring would be secondary and only if the team needs it.

If you think that Kobe wants to play simply to glory hound, hog the attention for himself and relegate the young talent to the bench, you missed the boat! Kobe said that he wants to play because it's an opportunity to mingle with the young talent, here and internationally, and get to know everyone. Kobe knows that he's approaching the twilight of his career and he'd like to extend olive branches as he leaves the game. God knows, he spent much of his youth dealing daggers to his opponents and rivals.

I hope Kobe does indeed make the team to represents the US. And as a Lakers fan, I also hope that he approaches it as a potential recruiting trip for the Lakers organization. In 2012, we'll be ready for the next wave of talent to join the squad and keep the wheels of success rolling.

AIRMAR72
11-04-2010, 07:49 PM
I agree he should rest to benefit the lakers but I love the heart the guy has.

kobe is fake hes just trying to match jordan resume with 2 olympics golds 2009 finals MVP belongs to gasol refs helped his lakers out with 23 freethrows in the 4th QTR in a game7(and I hate boston but they got cheated) along with mad RON who step up and gasol flopping his championship victory his FAKE just like him

Supreme LA
11-04-2010, 07:59 PM
kobe is fake hes just trying to match jordan resume with 2 olympics golds 2009 finals mvp belongs to gasol refs helped his lakers out with 23 freethrows in the 4th qtr in a game7(and i hate boston but they got cheated) along with mad ron who step up and gasol flopping his championship victory his fake just like him

huh?????

Supreme LA
11-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Why are so many of you guys against Kobe playing anyway?? If the guy wants to play then let him play. I'm pretty sure the rest of Team USA isn't going to mind having him on the team. I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

I think Kobe is really just trying play as much ball as he can before he retires and what's wrong with that?? The guy loves the game and instead of taking time off that he may regret after he is done with the game, why not get the most of out of your basketball life now? I'm pretty sure he just doesn't wanna make the mistake of regretting not playing and making a comeback from retirement just because he has the feeling to play again.

Avenged
11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
If Kobe wants to play, then he'll play. But as a Lakers fan, having him play more games [outside of the Lakers] considering his age and injuries, we are a bit hesitant to be happy about his decision.

It would be good for Team U.S.A if he plays, I'm sure they're happy to have him once the time comes.. But first and foremost, he plays and gets paid by the Lakers organization, so he has to take that into consideration as well as the risk factors.

He'll probably have a limited roll anyways so all my blabbing doesn't really matter.

Jenceman
11-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't mind at all as a Lakers fan. The Gold medal is just as, if not more, important as well.

dhopisthename
11-04-2010, 11:04 PM
if he wants to play he should play. It isn't a guarantee that he will play he might change his mind and back out if he feels that his body needs rest

Hustlenomics
11-04-2010, 11:08 PM
kobe is fake hes just trying to match jordan resume with 2 olympics golds 2009 finals MVP belongs to gasol refs helped his lakers out with 23 freethrows in the 4th QTR in a game7(and I hate boston but they got cheated) along with mad RON who step up and gasol flopping his championship victory his FAKE just like him

true