PDA

View Full Version : Celtics' Rondo, Lakers' Gasol named Players of the Week

JordansBulls
11-01-2010, 04:52 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/11/01/players-of-the-week/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

The Boston Celtics' Rajon Rondo and the Los Angeles Lakers' Pau Gasol today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Tuesday, October 26, through Sunday, October 31.

Rondo helped the Celtics to a 2-1 record to start their season, including an opening-night victory over the Miami Heat. The 6-1 guard's week was highlighted by a 24-assist performance in a win over the New York Knicks. In the team's opening three games, Rondo dished out 50 assists, which tied John Stockton (1989-90) for the best three-game start in NBA history. Rondo averaged 10.7 points, 16.7 assists and 6.3 rebounds for the week, while also recording the first triple double of the new season against the Knicks.

Gasol led the Lakers to a perfect 3-0 week, averaging 25.3 points on .525 shooting from the field to go with 10.3 rebounds and 5.0 assists. Gasol opened the season with a 29-point effort in a home win over the Rockets. He also recorded a double-double with 26 points and 12 rebounds in a win over the Warriors on Sunday night.

Here is a recap of the week for Rondo and Gasol:

Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
Oct. 26 vs. Miami: Recorded four points, five rebounds and 17 assists in an 88-80 win over the Heat.

Oct. 27 @ Cleveland: Tallied 18 points, nine assists and three steals in a 95-87 loss to the Cavs.

Oct. 29 vs. New York: Scored 10 points to go along with 24 assists and 10 rebounds in a 105-101 win over the Knicks.

Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers
Oct. 26 vs. Houston: Tallied 29 points, 11 rebounds and four assists in a 112-110 win over the Jazz.

Oct. 29 @ Phoenix: Posted 21 points, eight rebounds and nine assists in a 114-106 Lakers win over the Suns.

Oct. 31 vs. Golden State: Scored 26 points to go with 12 rebounds and two assists in a 107-83 win over the Warriors.

Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Atlanta's Joe Johnson, Boston's Paul Pierce, Golden State's Monta Ellis,

Houston's Luis Scola, Indiana's Roy Hibbert, Miami's LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings, New Jersey's Brook Lopez and Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook

HowBoutDemBulls
11-01-2010, 05:16 PM
What no Lebron???? What the Heck? Derp Derp Derp! I'm mad!
Honestly these 2 deserve it. Altough Scola has had an amazing start to the season besides the whole his team not winning thing.

DaBUU
11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
im done hating on Rondo. dudes a baller

Hawkeye15
11-01-2010, 05:27 PM
well deserved for each. Gasol is playing incredible ball to start the season, all the way around

Lil Rhody
11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
im done hating on Rondo. dudes a baller

:speechless:

WOW never thought I would see this from a Bulls fan

HowBoutDemBulls
11-01-2010, 06:00 PM
:speechless:

WOW never thought I would see this from a Bulls fan

Yeah for reasons unknown I'm actually starting to respect the Celtics. Except when we play them, then KG is a huge douche, Paul is a wheelchair bound crybaby, and Rondo is an annoying bratty kid.

sargon21
11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
how was rose not even a candidate? and yeah those guys deserved it.

Hellcrooner
11-01-2010, 06:12 PM
surprise surprise, if you feed Gasol STAR TOUches ( 20 a game) he goes and puts up STAR numbers 25 a game........

YOu see that ****iung hubbie brown? stupid fratello?

still1ballin
11-01-2010, 06:13 PM
The teams that will be meeting in the finals :)

ManRam
11-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Gasol is a clear top 10 player in the league, and Rondo is a top 15 player...so no surprises or controversy here.

Well deserving. I think this is finally the year the phrase "Big Three" gets completely phased out, and the year that Gasol seriously gets consideration as being the best player on his team...or at least most important.

SteveNash
11-01-2010, 06:23 PM

He only played 2 games.

td0tsfinest
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
The teams that will be meeting in the finals :)

hahaha nice

Congrats to both. Rondo has been dropping dimes left to right and Pau is finally get more touches.

Hellcrooner
11-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Gasol is a clear top 10 player in the league, and Rondo is a top 15 player...so no surprises or controversy here.

Well deserving. I think this is finally the year the phrase "Big Three" gets completely phased out, and the year that Gasol seriously gets consideration as being the best player on his team...or at least most important.

KObe has enough blind followers and enough economic interessts in Snicker compansy and so on to grant that DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Also two ro three weeks more like this and Gasol touches will for no "known reason W start to drop back to 12 a game while KObes start t rasie to 30 a game. ( check last year during the suns series, some article started to hin t that PAu wa smore important in the mid of the series and "suddenly" the bal stoped going at him )

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-01-2010, 06:39 PM
KObe has enough blind followers and enough economic interessts in Snicker compansy and so on to grant that DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Also two ro three weeks more like this and Gasol touches will for no "known reason W start to drop back to 12 a game while KObes start t rasie to 30 a game. ( check last year during the suns series, some article started to hin t that PAu wa smore important in the mid of the series and "suddenly" the bal stoped going at him )

We have seen Gasol choke big time, enough is enough

Hellcrooner
11-01-2010, 06:46 PM

There is only One active player that i have NEVER seen Choke and its TIm Duncan.

Every Other, including KObe Lebron, Shaq, etc have choked every now and than in the playoffs.

HowBoutDemBulls
11-01-2010, 06:55 PM
There is only One active player that i have NEVER seen Choke and its TIm Duncan.

Every Other, including KObe Lebron, Shaq, etc have choked every now and than in the playoffs.

Got a point there. Choking is not always a bad thing though. Pat Reilly chokes on Bosh, Lebron, and Wade every night and look how his team is doing.

Avenged
11-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Probably, but he won't be considered the best player on the team, not in the medias eyes or fans in general.. Theres definitely a case for him though but what mainly gets looked at is who can take over the game completely? who possesses that killer instinct?

Throughout a 3 1/2 quarters of play, I'd say Gasol is the best player on the Lakers. Heck his efficiency and win shares prove that. But that last minutes of the game [and all the intangibles] go to Kobe.

I guess it depends on how you view it. Without Kobe, the Lakers don't win. Without Gasol, the Lakers don't win. They're just 2 players who compliment each other perfectly.

Jenceman
11-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Dude, do you remember that series? Kobe absolutely destroyed the Suns, it's no wonder Kobe had more touches...

cabernetluver
11-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Dude, do you remember that series? Kobe absolutely destroyed the Suns, it's no wonder Kobe had more touches...

And that is really what the game is about. The greatest single player, cannot win, without a good team around him. Kareem did not win until Oscar Robertson (to me the singular most ignored great player in the history of the game, not even brought up in conversation) joined him in Milwaukee. MJ needed Pippin and the Worm. Part of Kobe's greatness is coming out at this point in his career as he is making those around him great.

JordansBulls
11-01-2010, 11:31 PM
He only played 2 games.

True, but how is Pierce a candidate?

Mplsman
11-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Well deserved for both of them. Especially Rondo. Just wow.

Super.
11-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Rondo :love:

Corey
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Rondo :love:

x2.

It's going to be very fun watching him develop even more over the next decade.

Corey
11-02-2010, 12:31 AM
True, but how is Pierce a candidate?

Averaging 19/8/3 on 46% from the field and 67% from 3pt probably had a little something to do with it :shrug:

sargon21
11-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Averaging 19/8/3 on 46% from the field and 67% from 3pt probably had a little something to do with it :shrug:

Well what JB was alluding to was that if those stats are candiate worthy, then why aren't 33.5/6.5/5?

Vincent33
11-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Both guys deserved it. Rondo is the catalyst to Boston's offense and Gasol and his neck beard has carried the Lakers.

JordansBulls
11-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Well what JB was alluding to was that if those stats are candiate worthy, then why aren't 33.5/6.5/5?

This.

Cool007
11-02-2010, 01:21 PM
This.

That's ok JB. It really doesn't matter who the other candidates were. The point is Rose and Bulls only played 2 games vs other members who played 3 games (slightly bigger sample size) so they picked them. Not bad at all.

Congrats to Rondo and Gasol. They both deserve it. :clap:

As for Rose, I think he will have a good opportunity this week as Bulls play 3-games this week and he is off to a good start and he has 2 more games on National TV this week (vs Knicks on TNT and vs Boston on ESPN).

I also don't think LeBron and Wade will win many of these this year coz of their stats will be divided between the 2, game by game.

JayW_1023
11-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Gasol can carry the Lakers this year.

mikantsass
11-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah for reasons unknown I'm actually starting to respect the Celtics. Except when we play them, then KG is a huge douche, Paul is a wheelchair bound crybaby, and Rondo is an annoying bratty kid.

That douche, crybaby and brat have some nice jewelry... and are also the key makeup of the best team in the east

because anyone in the NBA can score 30 points on 35 shots

Gasol didnt just choke, he **** his pants.

All the jokes and jabs aside, Gasol has had a great opening week. I do think that Scola deserves the award more.

JayW_1023
11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Scola would get it if the Rockets had actually won a game or two.

Big Scola fan, but the Rockets look out of sync early going...they will turn it around eventually. Adelman is too good of a coach.

The Lakers have been sharp and they are not even fully healthy. Best team in the NBA right now...and their best player at the moment is Gasol, not Kobe.

wirez
11-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Rondo had that huge 24 assist game against the Knicks and Gasol has been doing really well so far this season.

fadedmario
11-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Rondo is the best passing PG in the league imo

Hellcrooner
11-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Rondo is the best passing PG in the league imo

Steve nash ..............
Jason Kidd.........

fadedmario
11-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Steve nash ..............
Jason Kidd.........