PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker signs extension w/Spurs

x_notorious
10-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Tony Parker has signed a multi-year extension with the Spurs.
Details of this surprising extension should be available soon.

rotoworld.

So much for New York.

lavilevi23
10-30-2010, 12:46 PM
wow. 1 down 2 to go for the NY

$KnicksAndKobe$
10-30-2010, 12:47 PM
We never wanted Parker /=
Felton has been playing well

NYsFinest
10-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Knicks going for Parker would have been a mistake... I'm glad hes off the market.

Jays Claw
10-30-2010, 12:50 PM
The Spurs' window of championship opportunity is more open than we think. With a more consistent RJ and a healthy Duncan, don't be surprised to see the Spurs win 50 games. Not to mention the production they'll be getting from Ginobili, Hill and Blair. And let's not forget Popovich is still coaching.

MagicBucsSox
10-30-2010, 12:53 PM
^^^^ dude that ship has sunk and you kno it. only reason he signed cause due to familiarity(spell check) and the money being down 30% next yr

NYtilIdie
10-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Thank you.

29$JerZ
10-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Good, I like Tony a lot as a PG but he is on the wrong side of his age to be invested in.
Much rather let our own Toney develop more and see if Felton is actually a long term solution.

Hunter48MVP
10-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Good deal for Tony Parker and the Spurs. Would not have work if he sign with the Knicks because they already have Felton at the point.

*Superman*
10-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Good. I don't want NY forming there own Big 3 now.

D1JM
10-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Good, I like Tony a lot as a PG but he is on the wrong side of his age to be invested in.
Much rather let our own Toney develop more and see if Felton is actually a long term solution.

And amare is at a perfect age? Parker is 28, he still has years left in him

faze38
10-30-2010, 01:12 PM

It's gonna happen it's just gonna be without Parker! If we get Melo expect CP3 in a Knicks uniform!

Slimsim
10-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Obvious Orlando can't take Miami. Some one has to do it since the Celtics are aging.

tangent12
10-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Good and bad for Parker. Poor guy has probably signed his death sentence right there...

He isn't winning a title with the Golden Girls cast over there anytime soon.

faze38
10-30-2010, 01:14 PM

x2 there I think people forget he has been in the league since he was 18! The man just came from a euro pro league!

29$JerZ
10-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Amar'e is in incredible shape and that alone will help him stay effective for the majority of his deal. We also have him now unlike Parker who will be a yr older after his extension kicks in. I didn't say Parker's age is too old, he is just on the wrong side of it when you want to invest long term into some one.

blackjack_119
10-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Since when did 28 years old become "the wrong side" of anyone's age. If you sign him to a 5 year deal, you are capturing the remainder of his prime with a little tailing off at the end.

oldfishermen
10-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Q. How does Parker signing a contract extension take him off of the trading market?? Is there a no trade clause??

I believe a case can be made Parker signing an extension increases his trade value.. Other teams interested in him, Portland Blazers for one, would have wanted an extension before trading for him..

D1JM
10-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Amar'e is in incredible shape and that alone will help him stay effective for the majority of his deal. We also have him now unlike Parker who will be a yr older after his extension kicks in. I didn't say Parker's age is too old, he is just on the wrong side of it when you want to invest long term into some one.

thinking that amare is somewhat better investment because he is a year younger is wrong. Amare has way more mileage on him than Parker since he has been playing in the NBA right after highschool. Plus, that clock is ticking in amare knees

Wilson
10-30-2010, 01:41 PM
The Spurs' window of championship opportunity is more open than we think. With a more consistent RJ and a healthy Duncan, don't be surprised to see the Spurs win 50 games. Not to mention the production they'll be getting from Ginobili, Hill and Blair. And let's not forget Popovich is still coaching.

I agree with you. It would be a mistake to count out the Spurs I think.

blackjack_119
10-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Q. How does Parker signing a contract extension take him off of the trading market?? Is there a no trade clause??

I believe a case can be made Parker signing an extension increases his trade value.. Other teams interested in him, Portland Blazers for one, would have wanted an extension before trading for him..

Players who sign contract extentions must stay with their current team for 90 days or until December 15th (which ever is later.) He could be traded before the deadline, but not until February, 1st.

blackjack_119
10-30-2010, 01:46 PM
thinking that amare is somewhat better investment because he is a year younger is wrong. Amare has way more mileage on him than Parker since he has been playing in the NBA right after highschool. Plus, that clock is ticking in amare knees

Parker was in the NBA at age 18, but you are right about STAT's knees.

asomen
10-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Ask Dallas fans what happened when they overlooked the Spurs in the playoffs. I find it funny that people continue to overlook the Spurs because they are "old".

AlexTmz2
:clap:

AlexTmz2
Ask Dallas fans what happened when they overlooked the Spurs in the playoffs. I find it funny that people continue to overlook the Spurs because they are "old".

:clap:

x_notorious
10-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Tony Parker has signed a four-year contract extension with the Spurs worth about $50 million. Parker was rumored to want to play for the Knicks, but the Spurs appear to have been his first choice all along. "It’s great to have security, and not go through a whole season worried if I get hurt or if I play bad," said Parker. "Now I can just focus on the team and hopefully have a great season and win a lot of games."

rotoworld

jkcronyn
10-30-2010, 02:31 PM
man this is ridiculous!! tony parker is dope! and think about nash... he's 36 and easily a top ten pg still... ridiculous... steve nash also didnt win his mvps til 31 and 32 everyone who says tony parker is fizzling out is an idiot.. . iknow he came into the league at 18 but still ridiculous

NYYCowboys
10-30-2010, 02:38 PM
I want CP3 anyway...Over Melo and Parker.

godolphins
10-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Great, now he won't be rumored to go to the Knicks :clap:

I hope Carmelo is the next one to get an extension, after him hopefully Chris Paul.

BigBlueCrew
10-30-2010, 03:31 PM
^^^^^^

Melo has an extension. A great extension. I think your forgetting the most crucial part. Oh yeah HIS SIGNATURE!!!!!!

MrfadeawayJB
10-30-2010, 03:44 PM
He was overpaid anyway... 4yr 50mil

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

Hawkeye15
10-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Parker must trust the Spurs management quite a bit, because I think their window has closed.

Netslunatic76
10-30-2010, 04:00 PM
:rolleyes: At all the Knick fans saying they never wanted Parker.

I agree with people questioning whether the Spurs have another run left in them. Wasn't Duncan talking about retiring soon? Parker already has a few rings so maybe he just wants to stay because it's where he's comfortable.

Mudvayne91
10-30-2010, 04:05 PM
That's nuts he's only 28. Although I hate the Spurs, it wouldn't surprise me if their FO were able to pull something out there *** to become contenders in a few years.

Joshtd1
10-30-2010, 04:06 PM
4 years 50 million is a great deal, I think he's worried about the potential lockout.

Parker is still in his prime, he could still average 20 a game if needed. Spurs just have a lot more offensive options then before.

oak2455
10-30-2010, 06:31 PM
:rolleyes: At all the Knick fans saying they never wanted Parker.

I agree with people questioning whether the Spurs have another run left in them. Wasn't Duncan talking about retiring soon? Parker already has a few rings so maybe he just wants to stay because it's where he's comfortable.

Im a Knicks fan never wanted Tony just his wife:rolleyes:

patsspurscubs
10-30-2010, 07:40 PM
That's nuts he's only 28. Although I hate the Spurs, it wouldn't surprise me if their FO were able to pull something out there *** to become contenders in a few years.

You could very well be right with that comment. We already have Hill, Blair, Anderson, and Splitter who are all young and have potential to at least be good pieces on a championship team.

patsspurscubs
10-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Im a Knicks fan never wanted Tony just his wife:rolleyes:

Haha. Don't we all?

Evolution23
10-30-2010, 10:31 PM
MELO where u at?

Giraffes Rule
10-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Great deal for the Spurs, great deal for Tony Parker. Love seeing all the doubters and people calling them old. The Spurs have 3 players over the age of 30, and 3 that are 30 exactly (Bonner, Jefferson, and Simmons). They have 8 players who are younger than 30, 6 of which are 25 or younger. If you averaged out their ages it would come out to be 27.5. The Spurs are much younger than people seem to think.

dodie53
10-30-2010, 10:47 PM
NY's big 3 are:
amare, melo and cp3.
hehe

IBleedPurple
10-31-2010, 12:22 AM
NY's big 1 is Amar'e

Fixed

SouthSideRookie
10-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Haha. Don't we all?

:cool:

ElMarroAfamado
10-31-2010, 03:07 AM

I was waiting for this. Like every single season (look at old posts if you can) people say the saaaaame ole cliches about the sports but the fact of the matter is they are not winning a title anytime soon or contending for one either. The realists understand that its over for them and has been for a while. There is a reason they got swept last year they will prob get swept again this year.....

ElMarroAfamado
10-31-2010, 03:08 AM

Ask Phoenix Suns fans what happened when they faced the old, passed their prime Spurs....people dont overlook them...they just cant contend anymore and it seems people alwaays put up an argument that they can so they can seem knowledgeable about basketball...
Stop.

Industry
10-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Obvious Orlando can't take Miami. Some one has to do it since the Celtics are aging.

It was one game, bruh. Miami's defense wasn't nearly as good as people pretended for it to be that game. They left Orlando open for scores of WIDE OPEN shots, and Orlando just didn't knock them down. Not to say that Orlando wouldn't have still lost, but everything varies from game to game and when Miami forms a style that teams will be able to prepare for, things will be a lot more competitive by the play offs.

Antipod
10-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Overpaid

Kakaroach
10-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Its a good move by the Spurs, he is one of the better PGs in the league and is so important to that team.

Giraffes Rule
10-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Ask Phoenix Suns fans what happened when they faced the old, passed their prime Spurs....people dont overlook them...they just cant contend anymore and it seems people alwaays put up an argument that they can so they can seem knowledgeable about basketball...
Stop.

People always put up the same "Spurs are too old" argument to make them seem knowledgeable about basketball... Stop.

Great deal for the Spurs, great deal for Tony Parker. Love seeing all the doubters and people calling them old. The Spurs have 3 players over the age of 30, and 3 that are 30 exactly (Bonner, Jefferson, and Simmons). They have 8 players who are younger than 30, 6 of which are 25 or younger. If you averaged out their ages it would come out to be 27.5. The Spurs are much younger than people seem to think.

lvlheaded
10-31-2010, 01:08 PM
I like Parker but did not wanna sign him long term. Id much rather let Toney Douglas develop and learn from Ray Felton or wait and see if CP3 or D-Will become availabe

Lindystud36
10-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Knick fans do not mind parker not being here
He wasnt in out plans, he isnt the type of player we need

Knicks know management wil try and make a trade for a 2 guard by the season's end, and just slot Melo in as the three guard next season.

Look for Gallo, Randolph, and another player to be traded from the knicks but not for a player that they already have on their radar. Call me crazy, but inorder to compete with Boston, Orlando and the Heat, you need more than three quality players on a team.

evadatam5150
10-31-2010, 02:19 PM
rotoworld.

So much for New York.

Is it me or has the Spurs management completely lost their mojo the last few years.. First Manu for an insane amount of money and now Parker.. I know Parker is not that old but he has a lot of mileage on him and clearly he's lost a step or two.. Valuable sure, but neither Manu or Parker are worth that money in my opinion.. The Spurs just seem to be moving in the wrong direction...

evadatam5150
10-31-2010, 02:38 PM
People always put up the same "Spurs are too old" argument to make them seem knowledgeable about basketball... Stop.

Stop reading if you don't like people telling you what their opinions are.. It's clear that the Spurs are getting longer in the tooth and are continuing to give overly large and long contracts to guys that are possibly on the downside of their careers.. THIS is relevant whether an unknowledgeable homer like you can see it or not because it was clear that a younger and more active team like Phx ran right through them... And yes there are other reasons the Spurs lost but you cannot discount the fact that the Suns were simply younger and more athletic than the Spurs who simply could not respond.. Proof is in the pudding, their core of Duncan, Manu and Parker are slowing down and are not nearly as effective as they used to be and this is clearly keeping them from getting further into the playoffs and winning..

Sox72
10-31-2010, 02:56 PM

Huh?

Giraffes Rule
10-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Stop reading if you don't like people telling you what their opinions are.. It's clear that the Spurs are getting longer in the tooth and are continuing to give overly large and long contracts to guys that are possibly on the downside of their careers.. THIS is relevant whether an unknowledgeable homer like you can see it or not because it was clear that a younger and more active team like Phx ran right through them... And yes there are other reasons the Spurs lost but you cannot discount the fact that the Suns were simply younger and more athletic than the Spurs who simply could not respond.. Proof is in the pudding, their core of Duncan, Manu and Parker are slowing down and are not nearly as effective as they used to be and this is clearly keeping them from getting further into the playoffs and winning..

How is what I posted an opinion? I suppose the term "old" is subjective, but the fact remains that only 3 of the Spurs are over 30 years old (McDyess, Duncan, and Manu). Duncan isn't as great as he used to be, but he's still one of the top power forwards in the league. Ginobili is still a dynamic scorer and playmaker, as long as he remains healthy. McDyess is a roleplayer and is in great shape for his age. Parker is 28 years old. He was banged up last season, yes, but the season before that he averaged 22 points and 6.9 assists per game. The dude is good.

By all means though, keep ignoring the facts and pretending like the Spurs are all old and useless. We'll see how things shake out by the end of the season.

Mplsman
10-31-2010, 03:51 PM
I can't say I saw this coming.

sargon21
10-31-2010, 05:32 PM
i think melo to NY is a forgone conclusion

hard_candy
10-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Great for Parker AND the spurs. Parker is in his prime, and he's great for team chemistry.

todu82
11-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Surprised Parker re-signed in San Antonio. Thought he'd go elsewhere for next season.

Patman
11-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Nice now lets hope he can play like his old self. If Tiago pans out the Spurs could have a pretty good team. RJ looks better then last year, more comfortable with the system and opportunities he gets in it. But it's a long season and they have to stay healthy.

LA_Raiders
11-01-2010, 03:49 PM
He is an alright PG, but too much $$$ for an injury prone player

Cromedome
11-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Another jerk who used the good people of New York for leverage. Tony Parker is now dead to me.

Heater4life
11-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Another jerk who used the good people of New York for leverage. Tony Parker is now dead to me.

LMAO!!! The only people that use New York as leverage is the media. Every talented player seems to have a "desire" to play in New York a year(s) prior to actually being able to have the oppurtunity to choose New York.

Blame the media.

Heater4life
11-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Look at the bright side; you still have hopes with CP3 and Melo. and even if that doesnt pan out im sure the New york media will find another player that wants to go play for the Knicks.

Giraffes Rule
11-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Lol, yeah! How dare Parker do anything but say that he desired to stay with the Spurs and then sign an extension! What an *******!

tyfreaks brotha
11-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Damn that is a huge shock to me.

dtmagnet
11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
LMAO!!! The only people that use New York as leverage is the media. Every talented player seems to have a "desire" to play in New York a year(s) prior to actually being able to have the oppurtunity to choose New York.

Blame the media.

I should tell my boss I'm thinking of accepting a job in New York and see what he says.

Wade>You
11-01-2010, 08:33 PM
It's funny how people blame the players when they receive bad contracts instead of the GMs and Owners that sign them to these bad contracts.

The Spurs have a team that will keep them relative for a few more years, but they won't do anything in the playoffs with the core they have locked up (i.e., get past the Lakers), and at worst they will set back their rebuilding stage years ahead instead of starting now.

spurs4#5
11-01-2010, 09:20 PM
so im not trying to be a homer...but i think its pretty ridiculous how many people count out the spurs...yes their not the favorite, but damn give them some credit you dont just count out a team with those credentials...its like saying you count out kobe cuz he's older or you count out the celtics cuz their older

spurs4#5
11-01-2010, 09:24 PM
He is an alright PG, but too much $$$ for an injury prone player

what a dumb thing to say...he was injured last year... that's like saying kobe bryant gets to much money cuz he's always injured...stupid!

RulerSlick
11-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Blame the media.

lol!