PDA

View Full Version : Why is Monta Ellis being slept on?

beasted86
10-29-2010, 04:49 PM
46 Points in the season opener in regulation? 75% shooting? 1 turnover?!

PSD would be slobbing on the knob of Kobe, Durant, LeBron, etc... if that's how they started the first game. This is one of the major issues I have with this forum's posters-- blind favoritism.

TheHoopsProphet
10-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Once the universe balances out, it will be 75 turnovers and 1% shooting.

haggis
10-29-2010, 04:58 PM
blind favoritism.

:rolleyes:

funny coming from you.

Gibby23
10-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Why is my bed being slept on?

Hellcrooner
10-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Why is my bed being slept on?

because you got no one to do anything different on it? :p JK

As for ellis, one game means jack hell socre his 25 pr game at 30% soon.

Kashmir13579
10-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Another Monta thread... ii love it. can anybody say MVP?

IAmKira
10-29-2010, 05:08 PM
1 game n we got a groupie alrdy. can we say #1 player even before kobe? ^^

gbpackers12
10-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Monta Ellis is pretty sick. I never understood why people call this guy overrated.

abe_froman
10-29-2010, 05:10 PM
my god you guys put so much stock in single games

The_Mac22
Monta Ellis > NBA

Sixerlover
Because we know what he is. It was 1 good game. He'll have his high scoring games, but he'll also have his 7-30 shooting nights with 5 turnovers. He's inconsistent and not very efficient either. And this is coming from someone who is a Monta fan.

abe_froman
10-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Monta Ellis is pretty sick. I never understood why people call this guy overrated.
because he's a woefully inefficient player

Lloyd Christmas
10-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Great. Another Monta thread which will now turn into horrible efficiancy and other general advanced stats (not saying I disagree with them, just am tired of trying to explain why he was inefficiant). We Warriors fans enjoyed his game, but you're not doing us any favors by starting this thread.

Lets just see what his numbers look like at the end of the year. And I don't mean PPG Hawkeye.

beasted86
10-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Well to tell you the truth, I don't put much stock into 1 game either, you'll rarely see me create a thread about 1 games stats... the whole point of this is why does Monta put up that statline and not 1 thread is made but Kobe/LeBron/Durant would be on page 11 by now? Either with people talking about how good it was or how overrated it is...

If Kobe, LeBron, Durant, etc... have 1 good game people start going into in-depth BS stats with even more extravagant proclaimations... IE: "Durant is the 1st player under 21years and 86 days to score 46 on 75% shooting in a season opener not on the East Coast. This proves Durant >>>>> LeBron." :rolleyes:

Raidaz4Life
10-29-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree Monta is awesome

SugeKnight
10-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Great. Another Monta thread which will now turn into horrible efficiancy and other general advanced stats (not saying I disagree with them, just am tired of trying to explain why he was inefficiant). We Warriors fans enjoyed his game, but you're not doing us any favors by starting this thread.

Lets just see what his numbers look like at the end of the year. And I don't mean PPG Hawkeye.

:clap:

Chronz
10-29-2010, 05:29 PM
So your complaining that Monta doesnt get the hype the best players do? WHY?

Chronz
10-29-2010, 05:31 PM

If you have to explain his inefficiency then youve already explained why he doesnt get the same hype, thread done

GSW Hoops
10-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Monta is a stud, but it's hard to take a guy seriously when his team hasn't won many games in the past few years.

Chronz
10-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I took Curry over Monta in my fantasy draft, I may have dropped the ball on that one if he keeps this up (obviously I dont mean scoring 40+) still if Monta chucks more than ever before on his most talented squad as a leader is that really a good thing?

Monta is a stud, but it's hard to take a guy seriously when his team hasn't won many games in the past few years.
Not really, Im pretty sure nobody holds it against him for not winning, atleast not around here. What we hold against him is his style of play

beasted86
10-29-2010, 05:40 PM
So your complaining that Monta doesnt get the hype the best players do? WHY?

Not quite.

Im complaining that people don't hype Monta as much over 1 game, and will hype average unproven players more than Monta over the same 1 game.

Just blind favoritism to the players they choose, but a guy like Monta doesn't get 1 thread. Kobe/LeBron/Durant would be on page 11 by now... and I don't think this is a fair comparison, but Jennings drops 55 and it's like his hype train just got twin turbos and a 200 nitrous shot with how many people start saying ridiculous things.

I guess these types of scoring nights have become blasé because Monta is just that good of a streak scorer.

n83417
10-29-2010, 05:47 PM
IF he was great, the Warriors would not suck every year. One great player can make an NBA team competitive.

LeBron did it with Cleveland.
Wade did it with Miami.
Pierce did it for years with the Celtics.
Bosh kept Toronto somewhat relevant.
Durant made OKC a potential powerhouse.
Kobe did it in LA.

If Monta was great, the Warriors would be competitive every year.
He does as much to harm the team (over 82 games) as he does to help the team.

If you took Dwight Howard off the Magic, they would be a lottery team. If you took Wade off last years HEat team, they would have had the worst record in the NBA.

Monta looks good, statistically. But if they traded him for Shane Battier, the Warriors would become a better team.

Monta is a terrible team player. In the NBA, team play is crucial. The Warriors will go nowhere this year. And if Monta was so great, they would at least be competitive.

n83417
10-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Not quite.

Im complaining that people don't hype Monta as much over 1 game, and will hype average unproven players more than Monta over the same 1 game.

Just blind favoritism to the players they choose, but a guy like Monta doesn't get 1 thread. Kobe/LeBron/Durant would be on page 11 by now... and I don't think this is a fair comparison, but Jennings drops 55 and it's like his hype train just got twin turbos and a 200 nitrous shot with how many people start saying ridiculous things.

I guess these types of scoring nights have become blasé because Monta is just that good of a streak scorer.

Jennings is not that great, and that 55 point night was terrible for his progression.

koreancabbage
10-29-2010, 05:54 PM
we know he can score. but 99% of his games he is inefficient.

doesn't really do much else anywhere in the game except offense. He's not known for anything else.

that's pretty much the same thing i can say for Durant as well cept he's pretty efficient most nights.

Chronz
10-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Not quite.

Jennings broke KAJ rookie record, surely you cant hold it against people for mentioning it.

And again your comparing him to elite players, of course they are going to get more pub. But him being a good streak scorer only implies hes a bad consistent scorer so yea its prolly why people are waiting to see how he plays throughout before jumping to any conclusion.

John Walls Era
10-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I never got the hate... hes a really good player. Of course he won't be able to keep this up, but I think he could avg 20PPG on any team and play efficiently.

n83417
10-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I never got the hate... hes a really good player. Of course he won't be able to keep this up, but I think he could avg 20PPG on any team and play efficiently.

So its the Warriors that are holding him down? Because he is remarkably inefficient. And that Warriors offense makes decent players look good, statistically speaking,

MGB
10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
OP is a ******

worst. thread. evar.

Giants-49ers-Ws
10-29-2010, 06:09 PM
monta is sick!! go warriors

Run&Gun
10-29-2010, 06:09 PM
We just had this thread like 2 weeks ago, but watching Monta against the Lakers in preseason and yesterday at the game he did make improvements.

His shot selection is better, against the Lakers he was 10/15 at the half, he ended up shooting 16/30 that night but the shots he took in the 2nd half were good open shots and layups but he was tired cuz. he played the entire game. Yesterday he had great shot selection, not forcing anything and passes the ball if he can't make a good move.

Point is in terms of scoring looks like his percentages will go up, he's taking open shots and moving better without the ball. The main reason why he had so many TO's against the Lakers was because no one else was scoring the ball and no one could really create for him since Curry was out with a sprained ankle. Additionally most the 2nd half he was trying to get the ball to Andris and David Lee to score, but they weren't doing so great so he had to start taking shots.

Will he be the superstar that leads his team to the playoffs? Probably not, but he seems to embraced the role as a off ball scorer with Curry, and looks like he knows his limitations, I expect good things from him this year and for him to make that jump to a solid low tier All-star this year.

John Walls Era
10-29-2010, 06:12 PM
So its the Warriors that are holding him down? Because he is remarkably inefficient. And that Warriors offense makes decent players look good, statistically speaking,

I ment he could be an efficient player if he toned it down a bit, on ANY team (includes his current one). Sometimes he forces shots.

Jays Claw
10-29-2010, 06:12 PM
It was his first game of the season. He'll undoubtedly have his high scoring nights to go along with his low FG%. He's pretty much an inefficient, inconsistent starter who plays in a system that inflates stats.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-29-2010, 06:13 PM
i like Ellis but it seems he has the Al Harrington mentality which can ruin team chemistry. Ellis can defend if he wanted to ( he was a ball hawk rookie year) but since his role became primary scorer he's lost that part of his game. If he had any kind of pg instincts he'd be better than Westbrook or Rose. But he doesn't so he's not. He's a volume scorer on a bad team. Warriors are fun to watch regardless !!!

DieHardCubFan
10-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Monta is a great player. He is slept on because he is on a bad team.

SugeKnight
10-29-2010, 06:15 PM
IF he was great, the Warriors would not suck every year. One great player can make an NBA team competitive.
False

LeBron did it with Cleveland.
Ok

Wade did it with Miami.
2007-2008 15-67

Pierce did it for years with the Celtics.
2006-2007 24–58

Bosh kept Toronto somewhat relevant.
2008-2009 33–49

Durant made OKC a potential powerhouse.
Ok

Kobe did it in LA.
2004 34-48

Monta isnt as good as any of those players, but he did about as good any of them could have done playing with an injury depleated "team" of 4 d-leaguers, 2 complete scrubs, and a rookie who didn't hit his stride until the end of the season.

Hellcrooner
10-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I wonder what woudl happen with a team like this.

Ellis, Iverson, Gay;Z Randolph, Stoudamire , with Mike James, Magette; being the irst two benchmen

asandhu23
10-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah yeah let's all forget that Warriors lead the league in injuries and D-League call ups last year and never had a legitimate big man to help his team out and had a coach who literally did not want to play any defense. his inconsistency is not his fault.

Sadds The Gr8
10-29-2010, 06:28 PM
46 Points in the season opener in regulation? 75% shooting? 1 turnover?!

PSD would be slobbing on the knob of Kobe, Durant, LeBron, etc... if that's how they started the first game. This is one of the major issues I have with this forum's posters-- blind favoritism.

u obviously missed the "destruction of Monta" thread a couple weeks ago where everyone (mainly Hawkeye), annihilated him. I used to think that he was good to, but his advanced stats are terrible.

Another major issue about the NBA forum is that many of you guys OVERREACT, which is what you're doing. He played well the other day but it's just one game...judge after 15-20+.

Chronz
10-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah yeah let's all forget that Warriors lead the league in injuries and D-League call ups last year and never had a legitimate big man to help his team out and had a coach who literally did not want to play any defense. his inconsistency is not his fault.
Who are you talking to?

asandhu23
10-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Who are you talking to?

the people with the inconsistency and "advanced stats" crap

Sadds The Gr8
10-29-2010, 06:55 PM

ok and wtf does having D-league teammates have to do with taking 18 ft. jumpers and shooting 40%> while doing it? don't be mad at advanced stats because they show how terrible Monta is...

Chronz
10-29-2010, 07:03 PM

Then you have no point because your only proving us right, if you have to make so many excuses then your showing us just how low down the chain of command he really is. Having a coach that doesnt expect you to play defense should help his offensive game so not only are you pointless but your clueless.

Klivlend
10-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm a Monta fan. Really fun to watch. He's a baller for sure.

Hawkeye15
10-29-2010, 10:35 PM
how many threads are we going to have about how awesome said player is after 1-2 games?
can we please give the season 30 games before we start blowing up players?

Rafer17
10-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Hes so underrated

TEXASTITAN
10-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Because he's a career 47% shooter from the field and only shoots 31% from behind the arc. He's a low percentage guy who catches fire occasionally big deal he's probably going to have a better year this year due to the extra attention Curry's going to get but he's not going to stay hot like this all year.

SugeKnight
10-30-2010, 12:27 AM
47% is actually not bad for a guard, and he only started shooting the 3 pointer last year

JoeDirt05
10-30-2010, 12:54 AM
bc people dont respect him bc of his size

SugeKnight
10-30-2010, 12:58 AM
wrong thread :(

asandhu23
10-30-2010, 01:02 AM
11 assists tonight :D still had 15 points

esscobar05
10-30-2010, 01:21 AM
we know he can score. but 99% of his games he is inefficient. doesn't really do much else anywhere in the game except offense. He's not known for anything else.

that's pretty much the same thing i can say for Durant as well cept he's pretty efficient most nights.

false

Monta is a goodplayer...You will see.. He is finally healthy.

esscobar05
10-30-2010, 01:26 AM
These girls are in here complaining about a new thread.. IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT DON"T READ IT!

I see a lot of dumb things posted and guess what, I move on...

Public Enemy #1
10-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Because people on here are stupid.... They base everything on one season and don't follow the Warriors. They all Rose/ Lebron/ Lakers you know what.

SouthSideRookie
10-30-2010, 01:31 AM
because he's a woefully inefficient player

I agree but his supporters say that he's a good shooter because his shooting percentage is 47% for his carrer:facepalm:

drobe86
10-30-2010, 04:12 AM
Montas a decent player but he's Allen Iverson 2.0 This means he will run hot and cold... So idk if people are sleeping, but let the season play out some and you will see what I'm saying

LakersIn5
10-30-2010, 06:14 AM
for those who are saying monta is overated. WHY IN THE HELL IS HE OVERATED? NO ONE IS OVERATING HIM. WARRIORS FANS ARE JUST RATING HIM WHAT HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE RATED.

Corey
10-30-2010, 08:51 AM
People overrate high scoring numbers.

TheGoodGerman
10-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Monta is not the most effective guy/scorer/guard in the league ... I wouldn't say, people slept on him. He is just ... ineffective and didn't got a reasonless hype like some other players. But, he's always good for dropping 30-40 on almost any team. So, sleeping on him can be fatal ... no matter how many shots he needs.

TheGoodGerman
10-30-2010, 09:10 AM
These girls are in here complaining about a new thread.. IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT DON"T READ IT!

I see a lot of dumb things posted and guess what, I move on...

Haven't read a word you wrote, but DAMN ... that sig pic made hold breath for a minute :drool:

save the knicks
10-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Quick some one make a Roy Hibbert is a triple double threat every night thread!

JasonJohnHorn
10-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Because he is a shooting guard in a point guard's body with an average shooting percentage at best and below average assist-to-turnover ratio and gives up too much on defence when guarding bigger guards. He's not even the best guard on his own team.