PDA

View Full Version : Star Players that hardly get respect from the refs in drawing fouls?

JordansBulls
10-29-2010, 04:43 PM
What Star Players come to mind that hardly get respect from the refs in drawing fouls and getting fta?

Hellcrooner
10-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Do i need to say it?

BDoggaF
10-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Rondo never really goes to the line too much, and he looks like he gets hit everytime he drives the ball

hihbidty
10-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Why should one player get the calls and the next does not?

It is pretty bull ****. Call it both ways evenly.

Chronz
10-29-2010, 05:47 PM
MYTH

When you have Corey freaking Maggette leading the league in draw foul rate for years on end it doesnt make sense why they would be biased towards any other player. This is just an excuse for people who cant handle the fact that their player isnt good at getting to the line (ROSE)

BDoggaF
10-29-2010, 05:50 PM
MYTH

When you have Corey freaking Maggette leading the league in draw foul rate for years on end it doesnt make sense why they would be biased towards any other player. This is just an excuse for people who cant handle the fact that their player isnt good at getting to the line (ROSE)

I agree, was just noticing though, not all contact is a foul. When Rondo drives I know its not always a foul. They can go either way.

sep11ie
10-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Yao

Natty Ice
10-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Pierce never gets superstars calls despite going toe to toe with Lebron, Kobe, Wade ect.

Da Knicks
10-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Rondo never really goes to the line too much, and he looks like he gets hit everytime he drives the ball

I dont think rondo likes going to the line, he is pretty awful from there.

John Walls Era
10-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Pierce never gets superstars calls despite going toe to toe with Lebron, Kobe, Wade ect.

Well we can't tell if hes faking or not. So can't blame the refs there.

marlinsfan24
10-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Lebron James....NOT!

D Roses Bulls
10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Derrick Rose

asandhu23
10-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Monta Ellis

MickeyMgl
10-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Kobe.

Yeah, I said it. 'Cause it's true.

Hellcrooner
10-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Kobe.

Yeah, I said it. 'Cause it's true.

:facepalm:

Afro
10-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Well we can't tell if hes faking or not. So can't blame the refs there.

Lol, it's said the greatest trick Paul Pierce ever pulled was convincing the world to call him "The Truth". :p:p:p

KeepMonta#8
10-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Pierce flops sometimes and acts like his injury is worse than it is.

BaustinSali08
10-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Yao

This, he may be fragile, but the dude is just beat up in the paint and rarely gets a second look.

Chronz
10-29-2010, 07:20 PM
OK Yao is a good one, as was Shaq back in the day. These guys are really hard to officiate

STAT32
10-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Nash comes to mind, Yao is probably your winner here.

blacknell
10-29-2010, 07:34 PM
dirk

Meaze_Gibson
10-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Rose and Melo by far..Melo gets hacked down low and they don't call it. Rose as well but not as much as melo.

JordansBulls
10-29-2010, 11:45 PM
MYTH

I was thinking more of prime Tmac.

TylerSL
10-29-2010, 11:59 PM
um, Tim Duncan......

JordansBulls
10-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Rose and Melo by far..Melo gets hacked down low and they don't call it. Rose as well but not as much as melo.

Melo gets a lot of FTA.

Sactown
10-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Tyreke Evans.. he was a rookie last year so I didn't expect him to get alot of calls, but this year he should get much more

RulerSlick
10-30-2010, 01:40 PM
LMAO @ melo. Dude had tons of games last season with like 15+ FT's

DeyAce
10-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Rose for sure.

Raph12
10-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Dwight on the defensive end...

HowBoutDemBulls
10-30-2010, 03:38 PM
It's gotta be Rose

Hawkeye15
10-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't even believe in this. Some players are great at drawing fouls, some aren't. So those stars who don't draw fouls are not getting the calls because they don't know how to.

_KB24_
10-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Definitely Dwight. He gets so many BS calls on both sides of the floor it gets me irritated sometimes.

tangent12
10-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Derrick Rose, without a doubt.

tredigs
10-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't even believe in this. Some players are great at drawing fouls, some aren't. So those stars who don't draw fouls are not getting the calls because they don't know how to.

Exactly. This concept is the most misguided and bull ____ of all NBA conspiracies.

ManRam
10-30-2010, 05:12 PM

Seriously. The reason certain players get to the line more often than others is because they are the best at attacking the rim and drawing contact.

Rondo, for instance, doesn't get to the line a ton because he is a poor shooter and shies away from contact at the rim. He's more willing to kick it out, do his little fake pass move, etc. than he is willing to draw a foul.

Kobe is another guy whose FT rates can be explained. He's developed more of a post up game, and does attack a little bit less than he did a few years ago in order to preserve his body.

Durant, Wade and LeBron are the best at getting to the line because they are the three most aggressive players in the league, and they have extremely high usage rates. They get to the line so much because they are the best at doing so, not because "refs favor them".

It's not respect that gets you to the line...not at all.

DieHardCubFan
10-30-2010, 05:25 PM
The refs in the bulls-thunder game called fouls on the bulls like crazy. Durant went to the line like 20 times!

Sox72
10-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Rose and Howard.

ManRam
10-30-2010, 05:45 PM
The refs in the bulls-thunder game called fouls on the bulls like crazy. Durant went to the line like 20 times!

Cool. Howard went to the line 19 times in game one, and deserved all 19. I'm sure Durant deserved at least 90% of those shots.

Your point?

goblazers7
10-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Kevin durant. NoT

OnslaughtXX6
10-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Derrick Rose is a star?

JordansBulls
10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Cool. Howard went to the line 19 times in game one, and deserved all 19. I'm sure Durant deserved at least 90% of those shots.

Your point?

No he didn't especially when he ran right into Bogans who was clearly outside the paint. Even the commentators said that.

basketfan4life
10-30-2010, 07:09 PM
dwight,melo and kobe...and yes i am serious...

@hellcrooner;dude we are both foreign here, i get it when you say pau is not getting the respect he deserves from fans, writers etc...but when you say he doesn't get the respect he deserves from the refs it is ridicuolus, the guy is one of the biggest floppers in the league and more often than not he gets away with it...actually,a lot of the spanish players are floppers, calderon is for sure...don't get me wrong pau is one of my favourite players and i think he is the most versatile big in the league but truth has to be told.

Nirvanaskurdt
10-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Nash, and its not just at the line.. constantly getting fouled and no calls :(

ragee
10-30-2010, 08:09 PM

Isn't that a good thing for the Celtics? Hahaha

ragee
10-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Pierce flops sometimes and acts like his injury is worse than it is.

So does Lebron! :D

Dwight on the defensive end...

I was about to say the same thing...

dirk

Really? I am a big fan of Dirk and I actually think he does get fair calls... Sure, the refs miss a call here and there but that applies to all players...

dodie53
10-30-2010, 10:36 PM
steve nash

topdog
10-30-2010, 10:47 PM
There are way too many ticky tack fouls in the league. All these guys who drive to the rim, initiate the contact, and get the foul. A defender has to be allowed to stand with his hands straight up or get a hand on the ball and not have a foul called because the other player flails his arms!:mad:

Public Enemy #1
10-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Monta, every time he drives he gets hit and the refs never call anything.

nuggetsyankees
10-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Meeeeeeeelllllllloo

Sactown
10-31-2010, 06:34 AM
Seriously. The reason certain players get to the line more often than others is because they are the best at attacking the rim and drawing contact.

Rondo, for instance, doesn't get to the line a ton because he is a poor shooter and shies away from contact at the rim. He's more willing to kick it out, do his little fake pass move, etc. than he is willing to draw a foul.

Kobe is another guy whose FT rates can be explained. He's developed more of a post up game, and does attack a little bit less than he did a few years ago in order to preserve his body.

Durant, Wade and LeBron are the best at getting to the line because they are the three most aggressive players in the league, and they have extremely high usage rates. They get to the line so much because they are the best at doing so, not because "refs favor them".

It's not respect that gets you to the line...not at all.

Tyreke led the league in layups last year lol.. def the most aggressive player in the league..

Hawkeye15
10-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Tyreke led the league in layups last year lol.. def the most aggressive player in the league..

that doesn't necessarily make him the most aggressive player in the league. He simply knew getting to the rim was his best bet. Guys like LeBron, Maggette, Durant, they find a body on the way, hence why they go to the line

Sactown
10-31-2010, 11:24 AM
that doesn't necessarily make him the most aggressive player in the league. He simply knew getting to the rim was his best bet. Guys like LeBron, Maggette, Durant, they find a body on the way, hence why they go to the line

I know where you're coming from, but he didn't get alot of calls based on the fact that he's a rookie.. also because he doesn't verbally or physically flop..

Hawkeye15
10-31-2010, 11:31 AM
I know where you're coming from, but he didn't get alot of calls based on the fact that he's a rookie.. also because he doesn't verbally or physically flop..

you do indeed need to sell a foul to an extent. I only watched Reke about 10 times, so I am only so familiar with his game, but most his drives, from the games I watched, he simply avoided contact much of the time. But you should expect his foul draw rate to increase with him getting smarter on how to score efficiently in the NBA. He will start looking for that bump.

Sactown
10-31-2010, 11:34 AM
you do indeed need to sell a foul to an extent. I only watched Reke about 10 times, so I am only so familiar with his game, but most his drives, from the games I watched, he simply avoided contact much of the time. But you should expect his foul draw rate to increase with him getting smarter on how to score efficiently in the NBA. He will start looking for that bump.
Honestly I think the absurd yelling when you're touched should be a tech.. I'm honestly sick of players crying..

Hawkeye15
10-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Honestly I think the absurd yelling when you're touched should be a tech.. I'm honestly sick of players crying..

well, they changed the rules this year, and so far, they are giving techs for arguing, or flailing your arms in the air after a no call.
I guess what I meant by selling it, is you have to show that bump effected your shot. Guys who can do this without flailing go to the line all night long. Maggette is a freakin artist at this

Niro
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
one name
monta ellis...seems like an homer pick bu seriously he takes so much pounding and rarely gets the call

Hawkeye15
10-31-2010, 12:34 PM
one name
monta ellis...seems like an homer pick bu seriously he takes so much pounding and rarely gets the call

yeah but he shot 70% of his attempts on long 2's over the past two years. Dont get fouled out there much.
I just got back from Berlin. Awesome city!

topdog
10-31-2010, 01:11 PM

You mean like when guys go up for a layup and get blocked legit but they yell and flail their arms out to get a call? I can't stand that.

The after the play thing is getting called somewhat, but definitely not consistently.

blams
10-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Derrick Rose

tr4shb0t
10-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Lamar odom, monta ellis sometimes

ManRam
10-31-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm one of the ones who doesn't mind the new technical foul rules. I hate whining, and it is really the one thing about the game I can't stand the most. There is whining after ever single play. It's a league full of spoiled primma donnas. 20-30 years ago there was none of this crap.

JordansBulls
10-31-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm one of the ones who doesn't mind the new technical foul rules. I hate whining, and it is really the one thing about the game I can't stand the most. There is whining after ever single play. It's a league full of spoiled primma donnas. 20-30 years ago there was none of this crap.

:nod:

Or even 10 years ago.

Sactown
11-01-2010, 10:21 AM
You mean like when guys go up for a layup and get blocked legit but they yell and flail their arms out to get a call? I can't stand that.

The after the play thing is getting called somewhat, but definitely not consistently.

Yeah it's ridiculous.. Kobe and Pau yell when they go into the paint like someone shot them in the foot.

JordansBulls
11-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah it's ridiculous.. Kobe and Pau yell when they go into the paint like someone shot them in the foot.

Vince does it a lot as well.

ttam68
11-01-2010, 12:29 PM

I think the underlying issue is all the new rules, in addition to the attitude of these guys.

15 years ago guys may have whined less, but they also were able to play more. Now, its as if they're helpless. Its impossible to be a good defender anymore because every play just results in a foul. 95% of the time, the ref just assumes a foul occurred instead of waiting to see one. Flopping and dramatism are rampant, so players are forced to re-focus their attention from tough minded plays to pleading to officials. While I hate whining, I hate the 10,000 rules even more. This is just one more aspect where referees will become too big a part of the game now.

tcav701
11-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I think of Pierce and Ginobli over their careers. Two guys that have gotten whacked alot and had no calls

Pierce has become an actor like alot of others so I can understand recently why he doesnt get the benifit of the doubt.

Im ust happy the refs are calling charges on superstars this year which usually are predetermined blocking fouls base on their name.

RulerSlick
11-01-2010, 01:25 PM
:nod:

Or even 10 years ago.

10 years ago the likes of Kobe, Iverson and even Duncan were in the league:facepalm:

DoJoTheSlasher
11-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Dirk Nowitzki. Has been this way his entire career. Opposing teams rookies get more calls than him (no joke). Against the Clippers yesterday, Al Farouq Aminu got way more respect than Dirk did.

JordansBulls
11-02-2010, 08:34 AM
10 years ago the likes of Kobe, Iverson and even Duncan were in the league:facepalm:

ok, what is your point? Guys started getting more and more fta from 2006 and beyond.

braveniler58
11-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Steve Nash.

Sactown
11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I think Kobe, Lebron, Durant don't get very many FT attempts.. they should be in the 40+ Per

millerandco
11-02-2010, 10:25 AM
without question Monta Ellis...the guy attacks the rim like no tommorrow gets backed and still makes the basket...lebron gets a touch on his arm and gets ft's...

anyone remember the "fouls" from howard on lebron 2 seasons ago in the playoffs??

Double_R
11-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Definitely Dwight. He gets so many BS calls on both sides of the floor it gets me irritated sometimes.

Yea I agree completely; it is really crazy how bad he gets screwed sometimes... That's David Stern for ya.

turnaround3
11-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Derrick Rose is a star?

Is Deron Williams a star?

How about Tim Duncan?

Rondo, Pierce, Yao, J Johnson, Billups - any one of those guys?

The Vegas line on all of these guys to win this years MVP is below that of Derrick Rose. So as far as the people who are paid to evaluate who the stars are, yeah...Rose fits the bill.

If you wanna qualify stardom as simple popularity, how about jersey sales?

Here's your top 4 selling jerseys as of the latest report:

1. Bryant
2. James
3. Howard
4. Rose

5 and so on: Everybody else.

Yeah Derrick Rose is a star.

jeter4president
11-02-2010, 11:46 AM

im sure there wasnt as much whining back then, but i think the other problem is the multiple camera angles and stupid tv networks. right after every call TNT or ESPN or whoever zooms in on that players face just to make sure we all see how he reacts to it. they need to back off.

The Apprentice
11-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ LEBRON JAMES!! J/K

Sly Guy
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM

they do that to save him the embarrassment of missing another open shot.

JordansBulls
11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
they do that to save him the embarrassment of missing another open shot.

:)

Klivlend
11-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I think Kobe, Lebron, Durant don't get very many FT attempts.. they should be in the 40+ Per

How do you figure that? Even if they averaged 95% from the line, they wouldn't average 40ppg

iggypop123
11-02-2010, 06:03 PM
i cant think of any players but i can sure think of some who dont deserve them. like maggette and kevin martin.

Sactown
11-02-2010, 09:32 PM
How do you figure that? Even if they averaged 95% from the line, they wouldn't average 40ppg

It was a joke haha

JordansBulls
11-02-2010, 11:41 PM
i cant think of any players but i can sure think of some who dont deserve them. like maggette and kevin martin.

I was kinda shocked to see how many fta Maggette got.

bigmac8675
11-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Monta Ellis... figure I can be bias like everyone expects lol

JordansBulls
11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Monta Ellis... figure I can be bias like everyone expects lol

:)