PDA

View Full Version : Dr Naismith's original rules of basketbll go to auction

spreadeagle
10-28-2010, 03:57 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—It’s been nearly 119 years since James Naismith wrote down 13 rules for a new game he devised as a way to give youths at a Springfield, Mass., YMCA an athletic activity to keep them busy in the winter.

On Dec. 10, those rules—considered “the birth certificate of one of the world’s most popular sports”—will be put up for auction in New York and are expected to bring in at least $2 million. The proceeds are to go to the Naismith International Basketball Foundation, which promotes sportsmanship and provides services to underprivileged youths around the world.

Ian Naismith, the foundation’s founder and grandson of James Naismith, said it was a family decision to put the rules on the auction block and give the money to the Naismith charity.

Basketball is a pure invention,” he said.

Ian Naismith said he has wanted to sell the rules for years, but had never made a serious effort to do so. He said someone offered his father, also named James, $1 million for them in 1968 and $2 million in 1973, but they were never sold. Read more- http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-naismith-rules

spreadeagle
10-28-2010, 03:58 PM
This is the kind of stuff I would buy if I was a millionire

Playa4life
10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
JAY Z OR SPIKE LEE will Buy these rules!!!

saintdrew
10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
This is the kind of stuff I would buy if I was a millionire

Hell yeah totally.

thescore53
10-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Canada !!!