PDA

View Full Version : NBA All Time Redraft Playoffs: 4) LA Lakers v. 5) Utah Jazz (Please Vote)

Mile High Champ
10-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Every once in a while, the fantastic and committed users of PSD participate in the NBA All time redraft. Players that were eligible to be drafted must have played in the 1980-81 or beyond. The intention of this rule was to ensure that PSD community had better knowledge of the players being drafted and voted on. Please take the time to look over the players and the teams and vote for the better squad. We thank you for your time as your votes are important to determining an NBA ALL Time Redraft champion.

Please evaluate each player based on how well they played in their prime; injuries have no bearing on this game what so ever. Most of the GM’s have taken the time to create a clubhouse with stats for their player which is based on each player’s best s 3 consecutive seasons.

4) LA Lakers v. 5) Utah Jazz

Lakers have home court advantage

Lakers Depth Chart

PG:Sam Cassell [01-04: 20 PST/7 AST/4 TRB/47 FG%/37 3P%/1 SPG]
SG:Dwyane Wade [06-09: 27 PST/7 AST/5 TRB/48 FG%/2 SPG/1 BLK]
SF: Eddie Jones [99-02: 18 PST/5 TRB/3 APG/43 FG%/38 3P%/2 SPG]
PF:Pau Gasol [05-08: 20 PST/9 TRB/4 AST/52 FG%/2 BLK]
C: Alonzo Mourning [93-96: 22 PST/10 TRB/51 FG%/3 BLK]

BENCH MOB:

PG: Nick Van Exel [99-02: 17 PST/8 AST/3 TRB/35 3P%/45 FG%]
SG: Rick Fox [95-98: 14 PST/5 TRB/4 AST/46 FG%/35 3P%/1.5 SPG]
6th MAN [SF]:Jamal Mashburn [00-03: 21 PST/5 AST/6 TRB/41 FG%/37 3P%/1 SPG]
G: Kenny Smith [90-93: 15 PST/6 AST/1 SPG/50 FG%/40 3P%]
PF: Zach Randolph [06-09: 20 PST/10 TRB/2 AST/46 FG%/30 3P%]
C: Jamaal Magloire [02-05: 12 PST/9 TRB/1 BLK/46 FG%]
C: Marc Gasol 08-10: 13 PST/8 TRB/55 FG%/1 BLK/1 SPG

Jazz Depth Chart:
PG: Isiah Thomas (http://www.nba.com/history/players/thomas_stats.html) / Lionel Hollins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Hollins) / Randy Smith (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithra01.html)
SG: Latrell Sprewell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrell_Sprewell) / Randy Smith (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithra01.html) / Raja Bell (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bellra01.html)
SF: Jamaal Wilkes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaal_Wilkes) / Josh Howard (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/howarjo01.html) / Danilo Gallinari (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gallida01.html)
PF: Charles Barkley (http://www.nba.com/history/players/barkley_stats.html) / Clifford Robinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_R._Robinson)
C: Ralph Sampson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jeffeal01.html) / Al Jefferson (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/al_jefferson/career_stats.html) / Clifford Robinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_R._Robinson)

Lakers Write Up

PG: Sam Cassell vs. Isiah Thomas
I think it's obvious that Thomas was the advantage here, but Cassell isn't a slouch and will make Thomas work on the other end. Cassell knows how to win big games and in his prime was a 20/7 player who played good defense and was a good three point shooter. Cassell will get plenty of open looks from down town on my team and he's more than capable of knocking them down.

SG: Wade vs. Sprewell
This match-up isn't close. Wade is more than capable of a defender to guard Spree and on the other end, Wade will just abuse him. Sprewell just doesn't have the quickness to keep up with Wade.

SF: Eddie Jones vs. Wilkes
Interesting match-up on two similar players. Both are good defenders but one clear cut advantage Jones has over Wilkes is 3 point shooting in which it isn't even close. Jones takes the advantage here as he's more of a complete scorer and better overall defender. Just to put it in perspective, Jones averaged 37% from 3 in his career and is 9th ALL-TIME in 3 pointers made. Wilkes on the other hand, averaged an atrocious 13% in his career.

PF: Alonzo Mourning vs. Charles Barkley
Yes, Zo will be defending Barkley 100% of time in this match-up. I'd say the Barkley has an advantage power wise and strength but let's not forget about Zo's incredible wingspan and the good 4 inch height advantage he has over him. Zo can really give Barkley his fits through his shot blocking and size advantage. You also can't forget that in his prime, Zo was a 20/10 player and will make Barkley work on the other end as well. Defensively, Barkley will struggle against him.

C: Gasol vs. Sampson
A battle of the 7 footers. Sampson in his career only had 3 good seasons and it went down hill from there. Gasol is the ideal second option behind Wade and he's proven what he can do through the real life LA Lakers. Gasol is the most complete post player on either team, as well as the best passing big man. He'll give Sampson a variety of looks and he wouldn't be able to stop Gasol.

Overall, I think what wins this match-up is the Barkley/Zo match-up. The Jazz's best player and offensive threat will be shut down by the 2x DPOY Alonzo Mourning. Wade will make Sprewell's head spin like his rims, Jones as the upper hand over Wilkes as well as Gasol over Sampson. Bench wise, I have Mashburn as my 6th man averaging 20/6/5 leading a bench that can score, defend, shoot the 3 and rebound the ball. Congrats to the Jazz on making a good team but the Lakers win this match-up in 5 games with HCA.

Jazz Write Up

The Starters
PG) Isiah Thomas vs Cassell: Isiah Thomas, one of the greatest PGs of all time vs. Sam Cassell. Both players have tons of experience in crunch time. However Cassell (who was never known for D) will not be able to contain Isiah. Isiah has the intangibles and the tangibles. I might also add that Cassell has never been a starting PG for any championship winning teams.

Advantage: Jazz

SG) Latrell Sprewell vs Wade: This is not as lopsided as it appears. Dwyane Wade is Dwyane Wade. All-Star and future HOF. However, Sprewell may make things tough for him (Can't question Latrell's toughness). Latrell is a 4 time all-star that has made the all defensive team in the past. Wade will get his, but Sprewell will no doubt be an aggressive and gritty defender.

Advantage: Lakers

SF) Jamaal Wilkes vs Eddie Jones: Wilkes will be utilized as our spot up shooter. He will be able to create space for everyone else on the court because Eddie Jones will have to guard him (Wilkes was one of the smoothest, steadiest and most productive forwards to ever play in the NBA; his jumper was so accurate, they dubbed it the “20 foot layup”). On the defensive end; Wilkes should be able to hold his own against Eddie since he was a good defender when he was a Laker.

PF) Charles Barkley vs Pau Gasol: I expect Barkley to slightly outplay Gasol. While both players are not known for their D, Barkley has proved in the past that he can be a tough defender when he felt like it. Despite his size, he should be able to rattle Gasol a bit using his strength. On offense; Barkley should be able to take Gasol on the drive, shoot the midrange or post up on him, wearing Gasol out.

C) Ralph Sampson vs Alonzo: Will Alonzo Mourning be able to stop Ralph Sampson and his large frame? Maybe, but it won't be an easy task for him. Sampson was an agile big man that had an established post game during his prime. Ralph's length should also help him on the defensive end.

Jazz's Bench
Two 20 point scorers come off the bench: Randy Smith (SG) and Cliff Robinson (PF). Lionel Hollins will provide some rest for Isiah since Hollins has made multiple defensive teams and should be able to contain both the Lakers starting PG and backup PG. Al Jefferson will backup Ralph, while his defense isn't great, his post offense can give the other team's bench problems. A group of wings in Josh Howard, Raja Bell and Danilo Gallinari will be able to step right in and make open jumpers.

Prediction: Jazz steal one on the road and win the series in 6 games.

zambo4president
10-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Lakers matchup well here. Although I like this Jazz squad alot, Lakers take this one.

Mile High Champ
10-27-2010, 07:55 PM
This will be a great series. A tough call. I am going to have to think this one over a bit.

John Walls Era
10-27-2010, 08:08 PM
This has to be a joke, right?

I'd rather watch old episodes of 'Designing Women.'

:confused:

ShakeN'Bake
10-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Ill take the Jazz

Jumba
10-27-2010, 08:52 PM
I like the Jazzes bench better then the lakers. But the lakers starters are pretty impresive

BillyHoyle35
10-27-2010, 09:26 PM
i feel sam cassell could make a difference here, he was the master at drawing fouls on the perimeter and posting smaller points, this could provide thomas some problems and in at least one game he would be in foul trouble which could make a huge difference in this series

Its such a tight call in this one though, the jazz's bench is good,
both good teams that would need a 7 game series to decide perhaps even some OT!

Lakers barely.

Sixerlover
10-27-2010, 09:34 PM
The Lakers would take this, although Barkley and Isiah is NASTY

KnicksorBust
10-27-2010, 10:28 PM
i feel sam cassell could make a difference here, he was the master at drawing fouls on the perimeter and posting smaller points, this could provide thomas some problems and in at least one game he would be in foul trouble which could make a huge difference in this series

Its such a tight call in this one though, the jazz's bench is good,
both good teams that would need a 7 game series to decide perhaps even some OT!

Lakers barely.

Cassell over Isiah could make the difference? If anything Isiah would ballgag him for 6 of the 7 games. This series would be a battle because the Lakers were one of my favorite teams in the whole redraft going in but the Jazz matchup with them extremely well. Spree on Wade, Barkley vs. Gasol, Sampson vs. Zo. I would love to see this series.

Catfish1314
10-27-2010, 10:51 PM
This has to be a joke, right?

I'd rather watch old episodes of 'Designing Women.'

Then go post in a thread about that?

x_notorious
10-28-2010, 01:47 AM
SF) Jamaal Wilkes vs Eddie Jones: Wilkes will be utilized as our spot up shooter. He will be able to create space for everyone else on the court because Eddie Jones will have to guard him (Wilkes was one of the smoothest, steadiest and most productive forwards to ever play in the NBA; his jumper was so accurate, they dubbed it the “20 foot layup”). On the defensive end; Wilkes should be able to hold his own against Eddie since he was a good defender when he was a Laker.

He averaged a measly 13% from 3 in his career and he has Eddie Jones guarding him which will give him PLENTY of trouble. Jones BTW, was an all-defensive 2nd team member 3 times. If the 20 foot jumper is all he has, he won't be able to do much against a quick, lengthy Jones. Kobe gave Jones tons of a credit for mentoring him as a young player, especially on the defensive end.

Another very, very important note is that Alonzo Mourning will be guarding Barkley, not Pau Gasol. It gives a much better match-up defensively and on the other end, Gasol can match-up with Sampsons length and abuse him offensively.

John Walls Era
10-28-2010, 01:55 AM
He averaged a measly 13% from 3 in his career and he has Eddie Jones guarding him which will give him PLENTY of trouble. Jones BTW, was an all-defensive 2nd team member 3 times. If the 20 foot jumper is all he has, he won't be able to do much against a quick, lengthy Jones. Kobe gave Jones tons of a credit for mentoring him as a young player, especially on the defensive end.

Another very, very important note is that Alonzo Mourning will be guarding Barkley, not Pau Gasol. It gives a much better match-up defensively and on the other end, Gasol can match-up with Sampsons length and abuse him offensively.

Ok... why do the Jazz have to follow your matchup? On defense: Barkley has Gasol. I don't see why the defensive matchups are based on what you want them to be.

13% hahahah, too small a sample size (the most 3 pointers he took was 17 in 1 season because the 3pt line was adopted in 1979).

juggla53
10-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Ill take the lakers in a close win in game 7, thats how close i feel about the seris, the decideing factor to me is the lakers stable of bigmen, they have offensive bigmen in gasol and randolph and deffensive bigs in Zo and Maglore. Plus haveing mashburn come off the bench will give them a huge boost in the offensive game. people forget how good he was in his prime. its hard to go against a team with isiah and barkley but i just feel the lakers are a tad deeper

John Walls Era
10-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Jazz will lose. Because some people will just vote for their team regardless...

NYKalltheway
10-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Jazz should win this imo. Not very fond of that Lakers team. The only overrated west team imo in the redraft

Khalifa21
10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Jazz for me.

Baller1
10-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I like the Lakers, especially with home court.

x_notorious
10-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Ok... why do the Jazz have to follow your matchup? On defense: Barkley has Gasol. I don't see why the defensive matchups are based on what you want them to be.

13% hahahah, too small a sample size (the most 3 pointers he took was 17 in 1 season because the 3pt line was adopted in 1979).

Because that's how I have my match-ups defensively. Why wouldn't I take advantage of something in a match-up? You can have who ever the hell you want on my players but Zo will be on Barkley and Gasol will be defending Sampson. Besides, either way Gasol will feast on the undefensive minded Barkely and Sampson. Gasol has a good half a foot of length on Barkley who would probably just shoot over him the whole game and he can definitely match-up against Sampson and his length.

Wilkes had 7 seasons to get used to the 3 point line and he didn't. Small sample size or not, he didn't fare well in shooting from 3. I don't know how he'll get "others involved" if he can't create his own shot with a great defender on him and being a poor shooter from deep. Jones will gladly guard a spot up shooter with ease. That's easy for him considering who and what he had to guard in the past.

Ebbs
10-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Lakers team is so overhyped due to most their players being recent in all honesty.

John Walls Era
10-28-2010, 03:06 PM
KOBE'S LAKER OWN JAZZ!! Laker will SWEEP THEM.... IT WOULDN'T EVEN COME DOWN TO GAME 7........ NOT A VALID THREAD!!! GO LAKERS FOR 3 PEAT!!!

This is why the Jazz will lose.

Chacarron
10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
That Isiah-Barkley combo is deadly. I like Kenny Smith off the bench for the Lakers and their frontcourt is very solid.

Chacarron
10-28-2010, 03:46 PM
KOBE'S LAKER OWN JAZZ!! Laker will SWEEP THEM.... IT WOULDN'T EVEN COME DOWN TO GAME 7........ NOT A VALID THREAD!!! GO LAKERS FOR 3 PEAT!!!

What a troll. He keeps saying stupid **** like this in every thread.

ChiSox219
10-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Isiah, Spree, and Barkley on one team is asking for trouble.

Lakers

Ebbs
10-28-2010, 04:28 PM
This is why the Jazz will lose.

Lol yep

x_notorious
10-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Lakers team is so overhyped due to most their players being recent in all honesty.

Can you blame me for using a good strategy? Just ask crooner. Besides, whats wrong with recent players? If anything, they're a quicker and stronger generation of basketball players and have played against a lot of great players.

Ebbs
10-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Can you blame me for using a good strategy? Just ask crooner. Besides, whats wrong with recent players? If anything, they're a quicker and stronger generation of basketball players and have played against a lot of great players.

No I don't blame you at all. It's a good plan I just feel like its sucky for teams like the Jazz.

John Walls Era
10-28-2010, 06:05 PM
:laugh: did someone just make a duplicate account to vote again? If so then thats kind of sad...

JordansBulls
10-29-2010, 12:25 PM
People are sleeping on that Jazz team though. That frontcourt if healthy is awesome.