PDA

View Full Version : Can Lebron James play PG??

dolfan2909
10-27-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion on whether James can be a PG or not...I get that LBJ can be a gifted passer at times, is good at penetrating and kicking it out, and can rack up assist totals, but does that really make him a PG? Can he run the offense and get others involved without dominating the ball? Can he do the little bit of everything that PG's are expected to do? Can he push the ball successfully in the fast break from the PG position? Do you see him more as a potential combo guard that could be successful playing PG in today's nba? Do you think he should stay at SF? This is not a pro or con lebron thread, in fact I'm not even going to give my opinion, I just want to see what you guys think.

GSW Hoops
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
I think LeBron can play (and dominate) at all 5 positions. He's like a modern Magic Johnson.

Besides, didn't he play PG his rookie year?

dolfan2909
10-27-2010, 02:10 PM
I think LeBron can play (and dominate) at all 5 positions. He's like a modern Magic Johnson.

i'm thinking more like can lebron be what we define a pg to be, not can erik spoelstra write lebron james next to pg on his lineup card and have him dribble the ball up the court...also he doesn't really play like magic johnson at all, so I don't get why you and ESPN keep making these comparisons except their similar physical attributes

shep33
10-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Lebron can play 1-3 IMO. So yeah he can play well if he was the pg. Problem is he'd have to chase other pg's around, which means him being more tired, and more likely to be injured. Or Wade for that matter, if he was asked to guard pgs...

So yeah he can play, but if say the Heat went with a lineup of:
Lebron
Wade
Miller/Jones
Bosh
Anthony

Wade or Lebron would have to guard Derron Williams, Chris Paul, etc... that's asking a lot, because their offensive production will drop significantly chasing those guys around. Also makes them more vulnerable to picking up fouls and injuries.

GoatMilk
10-27-2010, 02:15 PM
he's always played PG
he played it last night as well

i dont think they'll list him at PG, but he's their point forward
only time i see it at the end of a game. they'll throw he and wade with jones or miller and the bigs

otherwise Chalmers or Arroyo will be on the court for defensive reasons only
they wont be handling the ball, but they'll be guarding the other teams PG

heatfan03
10-27-2010, 02:15 PM
yeah he can look for it when miller is back
house
wade
lebron
bosh
anthony

bench
miller
chalmers
haslem
arroyo
big z

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-27-2010, 02:17 PM
i'm thinking more like can lebron be what we define a pg to be, not can erik spoelstra write lebron james next to pg on his lineup card and have him dribble the ball up the court...also he doesn't really play like magic johnson at all, so I don't get why you and ESPN keep making these comparisons except their similar physical attributes

I'm not sayin his his PG abilities @ PG are as good as Magic's, But LeBron can defintley play the 1. He has good handles, excellent court vision, a good passer, high IQ, speed, wich are all the attributes a successful PG needs.

redsox0717
10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
A PG should focus on making things happen for the other players, whereas LeBron looks to drive first or shoot, and then if he's doubled he passes. Not a PG at all.

Niro
10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
yes he can play pg-pf and even c against undersized centers...

he is fast and skilled enough to play pg and tall/strong enough to play pf.

this guy is a pg in a body of a pf

abe_froman
10-27-2010, 02:21 PM
yes,yes he can.

Niro
10-27-2010, 02:23 PM
A PG should focus on making things happen for the other players, whereas LeBron looks to drive first or shoot, and then if he's doubled he passes. Not a PG at all.

lol what?
most of the times lebron is looking to pass first, take a look at the first half yesterday he passed up many good looks to pass to house,bosh etc who just failed to make a shot

faze38
10-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Yes I think he can but not as well as Magic! I mean the guy can pass but he needs to do a better job at recognize the D and making plays for his teammates! Yes he can dominate the ball but at times he just looks like a more prductive Arenas attacking and passing as a last option!

Pierzynski4Prez
10-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Hasn't he basically played PG his whole career?

masalex1205
10-27-2010, 02:28 PM
^Yep, hes pretty much been a point forward

td0tsfinest
10-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Hasn't he basically played PG his whole career?

Thats what I was going to say. Lebron may not be listed as the PG on the score sheet but he basically runs the offense.

dolfan2909
10-27-2010, 02:32 PM
^Yep, hes pretty much been a point forward

Well to try to push this conversation forward beyond all the thoughtless generic responses such as this one, Can LBJ be successful playing PG in Miami the same way he always has in Cleveland or does he need to adjust his style to play PG with Wade and Bosh? Can he dominate the ball as much as he did in Cleveland?

thescore53
10-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Dont call me a point guard !!!!

- Lebron James

Sandman
10-27-2010, 02:40 PM
He could easily play PG. Like other people said, he's basically been the PG his whole career. It would just mean the team is trotting out an extra forward instead of an extra guard.

LeBron could probably play center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPMAcNj41Ds

the first 40 seconds are just a nice dunk

The last 40 seconds are LeBron being crazy.

Carey
10-27-2010, 02:54 PM
I think his passing and Bball is a bit overrated, most nights he can get away with it but playing defense like Boston exposes him a little. He turns over the ball way to much. With that said most nights he wont be playing against Boston type defense. This is not that i dont think he's a fantastic player i just dont think he's quite the facilitator he's been made out to be, good for a SF but i wouldnt make him my primary ball handler in important games against high caliber defense.

Mplsman
10-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Obviously the dude can play 1-5 if he wanted

Pierzynski4Prez
10-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Well to try to push this conversation forward beyond all the thoughtless generic responses such as this one, Can LBJ be successful playing PG in Miami the same way he always has in Cleveland or does he need to adjust his style to play PG with Wade and Bosh? Can he dominate the ball as much as he did in Cleveland?

How is that a thoughtless generic response?

He was basically agreeing with what I said, that basically James has played the point for his entire career? And you are asking if he can play PG. Most people have the opinion that he easily can, since he has been most of the time, even though he lines up at forward, he brings the ball down and sets up the offense most of the time in a way that a PG is supposed to do.

SANTHI
10-27-2010, 03:05 PM
same thing a couple others have already said:

point forward

Double_R
10-27-2010, 03:12 PM
To all those who keep saying he could play 1-5, that is ********... He can't play the 4 or 5 for any extended period of time. He doesn't have the post game and doesn't have the size to body up with most of the bigs in the NBA. He can guard 1-3 for sure, 4 spot sometimes. To answer the question though, like some people said he basically played point in Cle and he could easily do it for the heat.

JermanJaysFan
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Yes. I also think that Lebron James can (and I really, truly, believe) can play any classically-defined position.

PG- He clearly has the abilities to do it- court vision, passing ability, ball-handling skills, and even speed (many people put him top-10 speed wise in the game).

SG- Well, if you can play PG and you can play SF, then surely you can play SG. He has all of the abilities that are generally definitive of a SG (scoring/shooting/ball-handling...whatever).

SF- Duh

PF- He is bigger than some and stronger than most NBA PFs. If his game was more centralized in the paint, he would grab more boards and his immense strength and quickness would allow him to torch most PFs. He may have to work on his post defense a bit technique-wise, but he is surely strong enough.

C- Pretty much see PF. Maybe a bit undersized height wise here, but he is stronger (and heavier) than a good chunk of NBA centers. It wouldn't be a good use of his other talents, but he'd certainly be a better centre in this league than most.

nycsports2
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM

this

JermanJaysFan
10-27-2010, 03:16 PM
To all those who keep saying he could play 1-5, that is ********... He can't play the 4 or 5 for any extended period of time. He doesn't have the post game and doesn't have the size to body up with most of the bigs in the NBA. He can guard 1-3 for sure, 4 spot sometimes. To answer the question though, like some people said he basically played point in Cle and he could easily do it for the heat.

If you don't realize that Lebron is one of the strongest players in this NBA, both pound for pound and in total, then I don't know what to say. 6'9" and 250 (officially, some say he is much closer to 270) is a fine size to play down low, especially when you've got no body fat and can jump out of the building.

Double_R
10-27-2010, 03:21 PM
If you don't realize that Lebron is one of the strongest players in this NBA, both pound for pound and in total, then I don't know what to say. 6'9" and 250 (officially, some say he is much closer to 270) is a fine size to play down low, especially when you've got no body fat and can jump out of the building.

THe guy cannot play 4 or 5. He's 6-8 250, give or take... His game is not centralized in the paint, his game is centralized on driving in to the paint. Yea he is more talented than many, but has 0 post game and would not be anywhere near as effective as he could be. He is not built like a 4 or a 5, yes he is very strong, no doubt, but not gonna dominate playing the position as it is traditionally played, thus he would be playing the game like a SF, not a 4 or 5. He would just be on the floor playing like a SF and being guarded by one.

MJL
10-27-2010, 03:32 PM
No, he won't be a good PG because he is always scoring first...

Fmaranesi
10-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Lebron can play 1-3 IMO. So yeah he can play well if he was the pg. Problem is he'd have to chase other pg's around, which means him being more tired, and more likely to be injured. Or Wade for that matter, if he was asked to guard pgs...

So yeah he can play, but if say the Heat went with a lineup of:
Lebron
Wade
Miller/Jones
Bosh
Anthony

Wade or Lebron would have to guard Derron Williams, Chris Paul, etc... that's asking a lot, because their offensive production will drop significantly chasing those guys around. Also makes them more vulnerable to picking up fouls and injuries.

At the same time, Derron and Chris Paul would have try and defend Lebron James or Dwyane Wade and get just as tired