PDA

View Full Version : Are the 0-1 Heat in a hole?

Gators123
10-27-2010, 12:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/459/are-the-0-1-heat-in-a-hole

It was just Game 1 of 82, but if you're a fan of historical trends, the Heat's opening night loss to the Celtics is not a good omen for this season.

Since the NBA-ABA merger in 1976, there have been 34 NBA champions crowned, and only eight of those 34 teams (23.5 percent) lost their season openers. The 2009-10 Lakers weren't among those eight. Nor were the 2008-09 Lakers, or the 2007-08 Celtics. In fact, you have to go all the way back to the 2003-04 Pistons to find a team that started the season 0-1 and finished it by hoisting the Larry O'Brien Trophy (or, as Wade calls it, "Mr. Larry").

Going from a loss to a championship has proven exceedingly difficult in recent seasons. The 2003-04 Pistons squad is the only team in the 2000s to do it. In their opening game, they lost to the Pacers -- the 61-21 team they ultimately defeated in the conference finals.

In the 90s, two teams started with a loss and ended with a banner: Michael Jordan's first and last title teams. The 1997-98 Bulls opened with a 7-point loss at Boston, then bounced back the very next night with a win over the 76ers. The Heat's next opponent? The 76ers.

And Miami's probably going to want to win that game, because it's been 20 years since a team started a season on a losing streak and recovered to win a championship. The 1991 Bulls -- Jordan's aforementioned first title team -- started 0-3 and were below .500 11 games into the season, but recovered to win 61 games and beat the Lakers in the Finals.

:eyebrow:

marlinsfan24
10-27-2010, 12:42 AM
So if the Lakers lose then do they get this article written about them too?

Gators123
10-27-2010, 12:44 AM

Yes.

justinnum1
10-27-2010, 12:45 AM
:laugh:

D Roses Bulls
10-27-2010, 12:46 AM
they were owned in the paint tonight IMO and against the teams like boston and orlando and even chicago with boozer and noah, they are gonna suffer

BDoggaF
10-27-2010, 12:46 AM

hahaha

first of all, I get the point of the article.. but what the hell.. its one game, they havent even played together much, theyll make the playoffs.

However, with that being said, the beast in the east, best def. prob in the nba, the team to beat in the east.. LETS GO CELTICSS!

marlinsfan24
10-27-2010, 12:48 AM
hahaha

first of all, I get the point of the article.. but what the hell.. its one game, they havent even played together much, theyll make the playoffs.

However, with that being said, the beast in the east, best def. prob in the nba, the team to beat in the east.. LETS GO CELTICSS!

You guys are the defending Eastern Conference Champs, so I have no argument with that.

godolphins
10-27-2010, 12:49 AM
There's 81 ****ing games left, who knows they might finish 81-1(unlikely)

kingbrentg
10-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Kind of silly, Adam Reisinger. Kind of silly.

John Walls Era
10-27-2010, 12:50 AM
hahahahaha w.e.

Kenny
10-27-2010, 12:51 AM
hasnt lebron lost the last couple season openers and his team the last 2 years won 66 and 61 games best record..

shep33
10-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Listen I'm a Laker fan, and no they aren't... I called this game once it first game out, the most overhyped, overrated game of the season. It literally means nothing. Great win for Boston, but we know that Boston, LA, Miami are arguably the 3 best teams in the league, and they'll be playing deep into the playoffs.

ink
10-27-2010, 12:52 AM

+1

And btw, I'm not a Heat fan. If you knew what I think of Lebron and Bosh that would be clear. But I'm a fan who's sick of the Heat hate, if only because it's becoming far more annoying than Lebron could ever be.

Let's just enjoy the season.

Jaji
10-27-2010, 12:54 AM
They're on pace to go 0-82.

Gators123
10-27-2010, 12:54 AM

:laugh2:

D Roses Bulls
10-27-2010, 12:55 AM

lol

justinnum1
10-27-2010, 12:55 AM
they were owned in the paint tonight IMO and against the teams like boston and orlando and even chicago with boozer and noah, they are gonna suffer

ink
10-27-2010, 12:56 AM

That will be a problem as long as Bosh is their main big man. He is a great scorer and rebounder but he is not a force in the post. The Heat are vulnerable there.

ink
10-27-2010, 12:57 AM

What? You don't think Noah and Boozer are going to be good? I don't think you've watched either of them play much.

kingbrentg
10-27-2010, 12:57 AM

Not sure what's funny. That's a pretty formidable front court no matter who you're a fan of.

saintdrew
10-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Wow... I was going to comment in a thread, making a joke about how I was waiting for some dumb member of this forum to create a thread with bringing up the question if the Heat are in trouble or something after starting the season 0-1.

I swear.... some of you people make me want to vomit sometimes. Honestly. I've had someone ruin my weekend before over something so dumb, irrelevant and insignificant.

Funny that this thread is all of the above- Dumb, Irrelevant, Insignificant.

Do you people realize there is 81 games left? Or do you not have anything to do?

abe_froman
10-27-2010, 12:59 AM
That will be a problem as long as Bosh is their main big man. He is a great scorer and rebounder but he is not a force in the post. The Heat are vulnerable there.

mmm very true,its why i dont have them winning champ until/unless they fix that problem.

D Roses Bulls
10-27-2010, 01:00 AM

you thought that was funny? this is even funnier

joel anthony and chris bosh combined 4-12 shooting for 10 points and 15 rebounds and got outplayed by 38 year old shaq..... now that's hilarious.

Gators123
10-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Wow... I was going to comment in a thread, making a joke about how I was waiting for some dumb member of this forum to create a thread with bringing up the question if the Heat are in trouble or something after starting the season 0-1.

I swear.... some of you people make me want to vomit sometimes. Honestly. I've had someone ruin my weekend before over something so dumb, irrelevant and insignificant.

Funny that this thread is all of the above- Dumb, Irrelevant, Insignificant.

Do you people realize there is 81 games left? Or do you not have anything to do?

Don't blame the messenger, ESPN wrote the article. I got a laugh out of it so I posted it.

LayZbone
10-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Yeah, we lost the 1st game that Wade-Lebron-Bosh have played together (aside from 3 minutes in the preseason). We're doomed. Wade and Bosh combined for 28%fg, Lebron + Wade had hella TOs, and it still went down to the wire against the reigning (largely intact) ECF champs. We're so F'ed.

ink
10-27-2010, 01:03 AM
OK guys we want to keep this thread open so let's have some civil discussion.

Fair game is analyzing the Heat, but let's keep the rivalries out of this.

justinnum1
you thought that was funny? this is even funnier

joel anthony and chris bosh combined 4-12 shooting and 10 points and 15 rebounds and got outplayed by 38 year old shaq..... now that's hilarious.

thats not funny, its sad. Pretty sure that won't be happening every night soooo:whistle:

ink
Yeah, we lost the 1st game that Wade-Lebron-Bosh have played together (aside from 3 minutes in the preseason). We're doomed. Wade and Bosh combined for 28%fg, and it still went down to the wire against the reigning (largely intact) ECF champs. We're so F'ed.

The second half comeback showed that they will still be a force and the first half showed that they have a long way to go.

hgtiger32
10-27-2010, 01:06 AM
last team to lose 1st game and win finals was 03 pistons yet you make it sound like it happend 30 years ago..

LayZbone
10-27-2010, 01:09 AM
The second half comeback showed that they will still be a force and the first half showed that they have a long way to go.

True, the chemistry needs to improve. Waaaay too many turnovers and stagnant half-court offense. But I think we'll see those improvements fairly quickly. 1st of all, Wade never plays that bad....I can't remember the last time he has, and I watch a lot of Heat games. You're more of a Bosh expert than I am, but I'm sure his play tonight was also uncharacteristic.

giventofly
10-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Yes, they are in a hole. They're just going to have to dig themselves out.

Hoopsadvocate
10-27-2010, 01:12 AM
If this means were in a hole, if we would have won would that have ment we won the nba championship?

Didnt realize there was only 1 game in the season. O well better luck next season.

Its a two way street i know 90% of the people saying negative things wouldnt be agreeing with the article if it were the other way around saying we would win the championship if we beat last years conference champs in the 1st game.

:facepalm: Pathetic.

xxcubs22xx
10-27-2010, 01:13 AM
lol

Raoul Duke_91
10-27-2010, 01:14 AM
First time in my life I cheered for a boston sports team lol.
Its one game tho, heat are not in a hole. get real dude.

the_jon
10-27-2010, 01:16 AM
trolololol

kingbrentg
10-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Yes, they are in a hole. They're just going to have to dig themselves out.

It's not gonna do any good to sit here whining about it.

ink
10-27-2010, 01:17 AM
True, the chemistry needs to improve. Waaaay too many turnovers and stagnant half-court offense. But I think we'll see those improvements fairly quickly. 1st of all, Wade never plays that bad....I can't remember the last time he has, and I watch a lot of Heat games. You're more of a Bosh expert than I am, but I'm sure his play tonight was also uncharacteristic.

I haven't seen Wade so out-of-sorts before. His rhythm was completely off. I mean, this is one of the league's premiere players no matter what anyone's bias is. He was off and he looked like he was trying to figure out his own offence. I have to say though, that the Celtics will do that to teams. Their D is phenomenal.

As for Bosh, it was weird seeing his positioning because he has never been a second option like this. He will have to adjust to them not running pick and rolls all night through him. It will be a challenge for both Wade and Bosh to be the 2nd and 3rd options after Lebron. They've never been anything but 1st options. But I have to say that Bosh surprised me with a couple of incredible passes tonight which was uncharacteristic. He'll settle down and get his points. He went 8 and 8 right? That will become 14-15 and 8-9 soon which will be fine.

I wouldn't laugh too hard at this team's first game. He who laughs last laughs best. The Heat are one of the most uneven teams I've ever seen, but they still have three very talented players. Still a long way to go ...

Celtic AL
10-27-2010, 01:25 AM

haha

blastmasta26
10-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Wow, really? It was the first game of the season, plus D-Wade and Bosh were almost non-existent, yet they still only lost by 8. No team's gonna win every game of the season, and this loss in isolation has no effect on their title chances.

bigsams50
10-27-2010, 01:43 AM
I didnt realize being 0-1 is considered being in a hole :shrug:

soundjunkies2
10-27-2010, 01:45 AM
hasnt lebron lost the last couple season openers and his team the last 2 years won 66 and 61 games best record..

But no championships.

I personally think a lot of people outside the Heat fan base are really overreacting to this 1 lose.

omdigga
10-27-2010, 01:46 AM
at least the undefeated nonsense never got a chance to get started.. people are acting like the heat didnt have a chance.. it looked like they might steal it at one point... anyway.... stupid article..

Wilson
10-27-2010, 01:52 AM
+1

And btw, I'm not a Heat fan. If you knew what I think of Lebron and Bosh that would be clear. But I'm a fan who's sick of the Heat hate, if only because it's becoming far more annoying than Lebron could ever be.

I 100% agree with this. The Heat-hate has become almost unbearable. Yes, they have flaws (as all teams do), but people will try to convince us that the roof has caved in on them.

The Heat will probably be very up and down for the first few weeks but when they figure it out (which they will), they'll be as dominating as expected. The biggest thing for them to figure out is how to split the ball evenly between LeBron and Wade, they both need the ball to be their most effective. I think Chris Bosh is going to get a lot of good looks from sharing the court with these two, so once he gets some rhythm he's going to put up great numbers.

ElMarroAfamado
Great Article hahaha
its not just to hate on the Heat, but game 1 proves everything that people like me have been saying his lebron announces his decision......

the Heat will probably dominate mediocre and sorry teams but they will not do anything serious against the better teams...and those are the teams that will be in the playoffs.....
so like Ima get tired of saying this season....the Heat will be the cavs of the past couple of seasons...Lebron James will get his points ...In Losses...and people will STILL find a way to defend him saying Wade or Bosh didnt show up....he will never be blamed for anything EVER....so just get ready for it ...its everything all over again....

amos1er
Overrated!

There is no team chemistry as I said when they made this little alliance. Lebron is a stat hog and will ruin any team he goes to because of that fact. Lebron is not a team player, he is a stat guy and stat guys don't win championships.

And you can quote me motha fukas.

what54!?
10-27-2010, 01:53 AM
lmao is all I'm gonna say. lmao at these haters.......

macc
10-27-2010, 01:54 AM
I knew there would be a thread made if Miami lost. This is sad really. Miami lost their first game of the season, who cares. Their first game was against the EC champions who have been together a few years, I really didn't expect Miami to win unless they were something really special right off the bat.

Reguardless, give Miami some slack, who cares if they lost their first game. We'll see how they finish and I'm sure they will finish just fine. This is coming from a Magic fan that should hate Miami, I just hate pointless threads just to hate on a team, no other reason then that for creating this.

John Walls Era
10-27-2010, 01:56 AM
early adversity isn't a bad thing.

John Walls Era
10-27-2010, 01:57 AM
+1

:) So am I. All my friends have become Heat haters... so just to piss them off, I cheer for them.

Venomous88
10-27-2010, 02:04 AM
When's the last time a team with 3 of the top 15 players in their prime loss their first game and then lost the championship? That's a better question

michael811
10-27-2010, 02:34 AM
When's the last time a team with 3 of the top 15 players in their prime loss their first game and then lost the championship? That's a better question
the 1968-69 and 69-70 Lakers had Elgin Baylor Wilt Chamberlin and Jerry West. Lost their opening games to the 76ers and failed to win a championship. That team didn't win their only title til their fourth season together

CBCable
10-27-2010, 02:35 AM

Haaa bosh spice top 15. come on dude.

shep33
10-27-2010, 02:39 AM
They're fine, they gotta learn to play with each other still. Although I've really disliked the Heat since as far back as I can remember, people saying they're in trouble is kinda strange. I understand it if people still are kinda questioning how Lebron and Wade will play together, okay I get that... but to think they're going to be terrible is moreso about just hating them then looking at the whats really going on.

I still think Boston is the best team out east come playoffs, but people actually thinking that Miami is going to be just a huge failure is kinda strange, especially after one game.

CBCable
10-27-2010, 02:41 AM
They're fine, they gotta learn to play with each other still. Although I've really disliked the Heat since as far back as I can remember, people saying they're in trouble is kinda strange. I understand it if people still are kinda questioning how Lebron and Wade will play together, okay I get that... but to think they're going to be terrible is moreso about just hating them then looking at the whats really going on.

I still think Boston is the best team out east come playoffs, but people actually thinking that Miami is going to be just a huge failure is kinda strange, especially after one game.

i think it's more wanting, and hoping, than thinking.

ink
10-27-2010, 02:44 AM
i think it's more wanting, and hoping, than thinking.

That's all it is.

GoatMilk
10-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Carlos Arroyo has got to go
he's a horrible player

Joel Anthony would be a nice bench player, i dont like him as a starter but he's probably ok most nights

The Final Boss
10-27-2010, 02:52 AM
Chicago only beat the Lakers in '91 'cause worthy was out otherwise the Lakers win in 6.

Hawkize31
10-27-2010, 02:55 AM

Or, maybe 1 game doesn't show anything. Because its 1 game.

:facepalm:

Anyone trying to make any predictions or real analysis after the first night of games doesn't understand sports well enough.

ink
10-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Or, maybe 1 game doesn't show anything. Because its 1 game.

Anyone trying to make any predictions or real analysis after the first night of games doesn't understand sports well enough.

Seems you missed the point of my post.

Raps26
10-27-2010, 03:09 AM
YES...there season is definitely over...they should aim for a high draft pick and tank! hahaha

abe_froman
10-27-2010, 03:16 AM

depends on what you define failure as.winning alot of games? no.winning the title(or being dynasty)? than maybe,or yet to be determined.

as was pointed out in the article that the op posted only a handful(8)teams that have lost the first game have gone on to win the title since the merger.so going by that,the odds are heavily stacked against their favor of doing it

also they showed that while yes they have these 3 talented players,they still have issues that can/will be exploited by other teams;and need to be addressed for hopes of future success when talent alone wont be enough to overcome the bad team construction

News24/7
10-27-2010, 03:20 AM
YES...there season is definitely over...they should aim for a high draft pick and tank! hahaha

you might be on to something....

PG: D-Wade
SG: Harrison Barnes
SF: Lebron James
PF: Chris Bosh
C: 2011 FA Center

:p

dodie53
10-27-2010, 03:28 AM

hehehehe

politiczombie
10-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Such a dumb article and I'm not even a Heat fan and I definitly hate Lebron I would still take Heat over the aging Boston in the playoffs just give this circus act some time to mesh and they will get better

Bulls_fan90
10-27-2010, 03:44 AM

Win.

stawka
10-27-2010, 03:58 AM
So I guess the sky has already fallen?

Miami went into this game hoping to learn each others games and gain some experience together, while Boston went into the game wanting to prove to Miami and the world that they're not ready to give up the East -- big difference in mentality

I don't think this team should have all 3 stars on at the same time for long stretches -- 2 together would be perfect. Play lebron the whole first quarter, Wade/Bosh for the first 8-9 minutes then let LeBron go to work while they're off... And starting the second, have Wade/Bosh on together with LeBron resting at the start

Something along those lines but yes -- these guys WILL mesh and be great!!

VillaMaravilla
10-27-2010, 04:21 AM
So I guess the sky has already fallen?

Miami went into this game hoping to learn each others games and gain some experience together, while Boston went into the game wanting to prove to Miami and the world that they're not ready to give up the East -- big difference in mentality

I don't think this team should have all 3 stars on at the same time for long stretches -- 2 together would be perfect. Play lebron the whole first quarter, Wade/Bosh for the first 8-9 minutes then let LeBron go to work while they're off... And starting the second, have Wade/Bosh on together with LeBron resting at the start

Something along those lines but yes -- these guys WILL mesh and be great!!

are you serious dude if you think Miami didnt want to win this games as bad as Boston your on something, to say they that on opening night Miami just went in to get experience playing together is worse then this thread:facepalm:

Iceman_9
10-27-2010, 04:47 AM
82-0??? :rolleyes:

Corey
10-27-2010, 06:04 AM
They still need a center and a point guard. Arroyo was awful last night, and Anthony provided no interior defense.

Their 3 will obviously produce, but they won't be able to win anything unless the supporting cast gets better, quickly. (Outside of Haslem, who is rock solid already)

Antipod
10-27-2010, 06:07 AM
they`ll be fine,,, in a few games they`ll start to click

heatfan03
10-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Overrated!

There is no team chemistry as I said when they made this little alliance. Lebron is a stat hog and will ruin any team he goes to because of that fact. Lebron is not a team player, he is a stat guy and stat guys don't win championships.

i will quote u on that. no team chemistry is prolyl right but thats what happens when your star player doesnt play the entire preseason, your 2 guards were both injured, your best 3pt shooter is out 3 months and numerous other injuries early. now we are all healthy we will adjust and build chemistry faster than anyone expects

Vikes_Fan04
10-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Chill...this team only scored 9 points in the 1st quarter and still made it a close game till the end. It's gonna be a long, fun, season. Can't wait. Although had the heat blown out Boston at Boston i'm pretty sure the bandwagon heat fans, NOT all the heat fans would've been preaching 82-0.

kingkenny01
10-27-2010, 07:20 AM
boston is the best team in the nba when healthy, but 20 games from now they won't be healthy
so i not suprised boston won, but the real test is later in the season

stawka
10-27-2010, 07:43 AM
are you serious dude if you think Miami didnt want to win this games as bad as Boston your on something, to say they that on opening night Miami just went in to get experience playing together is worse then this thread:facepalm:

Where did I say Miami didn't want to win the game? If they didn't want to win, they would have rested the starters. Like I said, it meant plenty more to Boston than it did to Miami

It's a long season buddy, and don't facepalm me, I don't think I said anything ridiculous at all, an in fact many people (outside of the haters) would agree with most of what I said

Tblaze
10-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Miami played AWFUL and still nearly stole the win... and I really don't like them at all. I think they are going to click at some point, but Wade/James really seems like a weird combination on the court, it really did not look comfortable.

Also, shaq is a great fit in Boston.

TheGoodGerman
10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
+1

+2 :clap:

Carey
10-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Lol, this is hilarious that this thread was even made one game into a 82 game season. They ran into a team in Boston that is deep and will just strangle you in the half court defensively, especially if you arent clicking. Part of this is just hate, but part of it is some Miami fans have been obnoxious so people cant wait to stick it to them when they can. They be fine and be one of the elite teams in the league, they just got some kinks to work out offensively but that lack of post points and easy buckets does kinda worry me about this team, with that said they have alot of time to correct it and not too many teams play D like Boston.

d00d
10-27-2010, 08:33 AM
one thing is clear, Bosh was the luckiest SOB in FA history to be that overrated. It is amazing how average he is. The Heat have 2 studs and a bunch of duds. They will be easy to shut down in the playoffs

thescore53
10-27-2010, 08:35 AM
remember wade said if they lose a game it will feel like the ''world trade center'' going down again ??

wasn't really a big deal.

d00d
10-27-2010, 08:37 AM
no it didn't feel like 3000 people just got murdered

cHi8DaL5LA420
10-27-2010, 08:52 AM
no they are not... that game means aboslutley nothing... the heat will be there at the end.

deaner
10-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Raptors focused on building Bosh with every possession. Now you know how over-rated he is. He will be the fourth or fifth option on the heat.

if he keeps making videos maybe the heat fans will still love him, in place of the 16 points he's missing every night.

He looks like he's lost weight and size as well.... exactly what the front court of the heat need.

I'm predicting Haslem at some point in the season will get priority over Bosh.

Industry
10-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Listen, people. A lot of you came into this site with the hopes of bashing whomever you HOPED would make a thread about the Miami Heat's first lost. The guy that created this thread didn't in any way, shape or form insinuate that the Heat were done for this season. He just posted a link from ESPN. Now if the Miami Heat had WON their first game, there would have been a thread discussing how they looked as a team and where they go from here.

The "Heat Hate" is unbearable, but the anointing of them as the greatest regular season team of all time by a lot of bandwagon fans was even more annoying. Every hole that has been discussed amongst knowledgeable basketball fans was exposed in this game. Will the Heat get better? Of course they will. They will go on an unbelievable run at some point during this season and then the "Heat Love" will be at an all-time high. Lets just try to balance it out and not get to over the top either way....

Da Knicks
10-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Overrated!

D-Block21-Chito
10-27-2010, 09:35 AM
I 100% agree with this. The Heat-hate has become almost unbearable. Yes, they have flaws (as all teams do), but people will try to convince us that the roof has caved in on them.

I think it's great how every other fan hates the HEAT. I have seen multiple posters even say I actually wanted to watch a boston team for the first time just because i hate the heat so much. This is great considering they fan base is the most annoying ever!

Pierzynski4Prez
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM

Actually 15 teams in total will get the article written about them.

footballer2369
10-27-2010, 09:41 AM

LOL Chicago fan is in for a rude awakening...

The Miami Cheat
10-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Miami played AWFUL and still nearly stole the win... and I really don't like them at all. I think they are going to click at some point, but Wade/James really seems like a weird combination on the court, it really did not look comfortable.
Also, shaq is a great fit in Boston.

i agree with you...wade/lebron together did not look it was going smooth...not to mention that all 3 of them couldnt make shots at all except when lebron did well in 3rd quarter when bosh/wade was on bench

Ace33Bone
10-27-2010, 09:47 AM
I knew someone was going to spark a thread like this up... it never fails... but there is no need for the Heat to hit the panic button they are going to take some time to gel

justinnum1
10-27-2010, 09:48 AM
I think it's great how every other fan hates the HEAT. I have seen multiple posters even say I actually wanted to watch a boston team for the first time just because i hate the heat so much. This is great considering they fan base is the most annoying ever!

Its what happens when a team gets the best free agents

D-Block21-Chito
10-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Everybody didn't hate boston when they signed the best free agents.... I think it has more to do with lebron being a prince....

el_primo_nano
10-27-2010, 10:23 AM
yes because if they win their next game, it it is up to the magic to lose so they make the playoffs or not.

JasonJohnHorn
10-27-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm not a Heat fan, but one game? Come on? Its a matter of chance what you pull off in game one. It doesnt impact the rest of the season. Its like saying 52% of teams that win the tip off win the game. The tip off doesnt even matter! 0-1? Seriously? Its jsut one of those useless facts that has no real impact. Having the best regular season record doesnt even help that much. How many teams with the best record went on to win the title on the '00s? Lets see... the Cavs had the best record the last two year, no title. The Mavs had the best record and got knocked out in the first round. The Pistons had the best record in 06 and watched the Heat hoist up a title. The Suns posted a league best 62 wins in 05 and watched the Spurs hosit up a banner. The Pistons didnt even win their division in 04, but they won the title. The Lakers didnt win their division in 02, but they won the title, and the Spurs finished ahead of the Lakers in 01 only to watch the Lakers win the title. Only 3 times in the last 11 years did the team with the best record win the title, so even if the Heat had won, and even if they win more games than anybody this year, they will still have odds against them.

What is more important I think, is the fact that the Heat were actually playing better when LBJ was the only one of hte big three on the court! The got on a big run when James was running the whole show and used that momentum to make a run at the game. That doesnt bode well for team chemistry if you ask me.

Articles like this are meaningless. They are filler. Something you can write without even watching the game.

ink
10-27-2010, 10:48 AM
^ And yet after one game you started a thread about Bosh losing his place in the starting lineup. :confused:

bal_ravens
10-27-2010, 10:54 AM
I love how most Heat "fans" are trying to be rational about this now, after all the talking in the offseason.

nitric
10-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I wonder if the Heat fans are mad

justinnum1
10-27-2010, 11:06 AM

No one is mad, this is the worst they will ever play, and we almost won it at the end.

Bigbadmoffo
10-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I think if you put Lebron on any team he will always make a run at the end. Truth is though is that Guys like Lebron need role players to really make them lethal. A guy like Wade just needs great defence and rebounding to win. I really feel that they won't make as good a fit as some may have thought. That being said they will still be dominant but will the regular season break down this team with so little depth.

ragee
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
03-04 Pistons? That's not even that far! I don't like how the some heat fans are acting that their team will be the one to win it all but it goes both ways... It is just one game! It is still too early to tell!

nitric
10-27-2010, 11:26 AM
No one is mad, this is the worst they will ever play, and we almost won it at the end.

It was rhetorical

walter
10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
To salvage this season, Joel and Arroyo got to go.

bringinwood
10-27-2010, 11:33 AM

You asked the wrong question...

Are the Heat fans excited ???

They have every bit of reason to be...

If you think that the Heat expected to jump right in here and blow out the East champs on their 1st 48 minutes together with very little time in training camp to establish some cohesion, you are a bit mistaken...

Look at the situation... The Heat lost by 6 after going toe to toe with a team that is a very entact version of the Eastern conference champions... This is nothing short of a great sign for that team...

The Celtics are a well oiled machine... The Heat are a team that will get substantially better from that effort...

This game was about as meaningless as an exhibition game...

If anything, it showed that the Heat are rusty and primed to get substantially better... The Celtics are the same team they have been for the last 4 seasons...

Once the Heat hit their stride after Wade gets some minutes under his belt, Bosh starts hitting some shots, and LeBron gets a defined role on this team, not even the other eastern conference powerhouses will be able to stop themselves from getting blown out...

marlinsfan24
10-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm calling it now, there will be another stupid thread like this tonight after the Heat beat the Sixers.

CLASSOF72
10-27-2010, 11:40 AM

Yea, but they didn't.

CLASSOF72
10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I think with Miller the Heat could of done better and they will have to sure up the paint a little, but The Thrice almost got things going and as much i hate to say it the c's are probably the most cohesive team unit in the league and Miami was just put together and will need time to work things out. I would say the c's for Miamis first game was their wourst case senerio.

Gators123
10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
They need to get rid of Arroyo

Southsideheat
10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Instead of Bosh they could have gotten 2 nice really nice role players who don't need the ball.

marlinsfan24
10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
They need to get rid of Arroyo

Amen.

marlinsfan24
10-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Instead of Bosh they could have gotten 2 nice really nice role players who don't need the ball.

You forget, if Bosh didn't sign with the Heat, you probably don't see Wade or Bron in a Heat uniform.

beasted86
10-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Like what? Overpay Haywood & Felton?

Considering Boozer got $14.4M, and Bosh got $14.5M, I'd say that was pretty much ingenious work by Riley.

RaiderLakersA's
10-27-2010, 11:58 AM
It was just one game and against the team that is the defending conference champion...and the team that I think will win the conference again, if healthy. There is no better measuring stick for the Heat this early into the season. They'll get better. It will be a fun season to watch.

kntresistheheat
10-27-2010, 12:01 PM
You can't be serious?? It was just one freaking game!!!!

Southsideheat
10-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Like what? Overpay Haywood & Felton?

Considering Boozer got $14.4M, and Bosh got $14.5M, I'd say that was pretty much ingenious work by Riley.

Whats the point of paying him $14 mil if you know he's only going to give you 9-10 points, and 7-8 rebounds a game. Brad Miller can do that for you. And you could have gotten another shooter like Morrow. Those two combined are less than 10 million.

marlinsfan24
10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Whats the point of paying him $14 mil if you know he's only going to give you 9-10 points, and 7-8 rebounds a game. Brad Miller can do that for you. And you could have gotten another shooter like Morrow. Those two combined are less than 10 million.

What makes you think he'll only get 9-10 and only 7-8?

KnickNyKnick
10-27-2010, 12:04 PM
LoL! they lost to the EC Champs by 8... on a day they played bad. yes tons of shame...

This team will dominate in a matter of time. as far as winning the finals? They have a great chance even this year. But theyll have to fix that paint job pronto, and they do have the assets to do so.

beasted86
10-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Wait, did you just tell me that instead of getting Chris Bosh, they should have gotton Morrow & Brad Miller?

Okay, you can have at it here... I'm out.

Robbw241
10-27-2010, 12:06 PM
If the Nets beat them in a couple days, then they should get lots of stick :D.

jetsforever
:yawn: As usual, ESPN provides the most boring, pointless stats.

Breaking News: Donovan Mcnabb is the first QB to be traded to a divisional rival over the age of 32 but not 35 to toss for 151 yards in a first quarter in which his team is on the road and both teams are wearing a shade of red.

dhopisthename
I knew there would be some kind of thread like this after the heat lost, but really I didn't like the heats chances before the game. Its almost like they scheduled a loss for the heat. having them play their first game against the second best team last year, at their place, and one of the best defensive teams really put them at a disadvantage.

blams
10-27-2010, 12:11 PM
THey're still the clear favorites in the east.

drobe86
10-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Yea its over cuz there are 81 games left or anything. I mean really?

Southsideheat
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Wait, did you just tell me that instead of getting Chris Bosh, they should have gotton Morrow & Brad Miller?

Okay, you can have at it here... I'm out.

My point i that Bosh won't come close to 20-10 this year. That's just a fact that Heat fans need to realize. You don't build a team like its fantasy basketball. They need to find a rotation and stick with it. But it's going to take a while.

iliketurtles24
10-27-2010, 12:42 PM
they are not ind a hole, this is stupid thread, find something real to talk about, are the nets gonna be in a hole if they open the season 0-, probably cause they are not that good, lets be real, the heat are good and are gonna win lots of games, and could win the championship, lets not get exited about 0-1 start. that's like making a thread saying the heat are gonna win the championship if the beat Boston, really stupid imo

NYsFinest
10-27-2010, 12:44 PM
its just a shame for a playmaker like lebron to have to kick it to an open James Jones 3 times in a span of a minute with the game on the line. They have a great team, but since both Wade and Lebron are unselfish will rely to much on guys like Jones, House etc... This is only one game so its ridiculous to think they are not going to have a great season, but experienced teams will be able to take advantage of those shortages.

king4day
10-27-2010, 01:13 PM

I wouldn't say clear favorites, but this article is silly.

Jonathan2323
10-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Bosh and Wade combined for 28% shooting. that will never happen again and they still had a chance to win at the end aganist the Celtics in their house.

Carey
10-27-2010, 01:15 PM

Clear, Have you seen Boston play basketball? And Boston didnt play their best game offensively last night either. The Heat will be right there but clear favorite is a discredit to Boston and Orlando.

ATL#22
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
You know what who cares if they go 0 - 82 or 81 - 1? Its the NBA nobody cares

KingsPhillies
10-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I can already foresee the subject of next NBA article on espn.com:

Whichever team wins tonight's Kings/Wolves game takes home the Championship.

;)

faze38
10-27-2010, 01:49 PM

Yeah your probably right but how many rings does Lebron have!

The Miami Cheat
10-27-2010, 01:50 PM

i dont think they are clear favorites...boston is gonna b very tough for them to beat....ALL SEASON

justinnum1
10-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Bosh and Wade combined for 28% shooting. that will never happen again and they still had a chance to win at the end aganist the Celtics in their house.

This.

ElMarroAfamado
10-27-2010, 01:58 PM
haha

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-27-2010, 01:59 PM
This is getting out of hand. One loss and they are getting an article written about how they are not going to win a championship? If they won, are they going to hand them the trophy? Its one damn game. People need to get over it.

WolvesJagsOs
10-27-2010, 02:00 PM
It's one damn game, who cares if they lost the 1st game? The Celtics are a tough team as well.

faze38
10-27-2010, 02:04 PM

It's funny how many excuses Miami fans are making! The Celtics forced turnover and completly dominated them! The score didn't show the whopping they really got! The Celtics excuted poorly on offense and the biggest run for the Heat came with Pierce in the locker room thanks to Lebron running him over and getting another call that he didn't deserve! The Heat are really in trouble unless they get a big man because honestly if the C's just wanted to beat the Heat the easy way they would have kept Shaq in and let him pound them! They need Dampier or somebody because Big Z and Anthony are not going to cut it! On top of that Lebron or Wade have to play the PG! Just being honest that team has alot of glaring holes! This team needs to have a starting line-up like this to really have a chance to win it all!

PG: Wade
SG: Miller
SF: Lebron
PF: Bosh
C: Dampier

or

PG: Lebron
SG: Wade
SF: Miller

Big part being Dampier they need a legit 7' footer that can still move side to side or they can always go after Oden because i'm sure he is on the market!

faze38
10-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Says who last time I checked most of the experts have them losing in the Eastern Conf finals! I think people really need to wake up as much talent as this team has they have alot of holes starting with that weak bench! Well u know what u better hope that Miller is the impact player that u guys need because honestly it's gonna come down to him if they do not upgrade their big man! Heat fans better hope he shots above 50% from the 3 because without a big man Shaq is gonna look like he did back in 2000 against u guys!

Southsideheat
10-27-2010, 02:19 PM
The problem i see with the Heat is that their post players (Bosh & Haslem) don't score in the post.

blams
10-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't care what the experts are picking. I'm sticking with the Heat as the Champs barring health- and the best record in the nba.

footballer2369
10-27-2010, 02:22 PM
:yawn: As usual, ESPN provides the most boring, pointless stats.

Breaking News: Donovan Mcnabb is the first QB to be traded to a divisional rival over the age of 32 but not 35 to toss for 151 yards in a first quarter in which his team is on the road and both teams are wearing a shade of red.

LOL.

Congrats on your first good post!!!

:cheer:

Jonathan2323
10-27-2010, 02:25 PM
It's funny how many excuses Miami fans are making! The Celtics forced turnover and completly dominated them! The score didn't show the whopping they really got! The Celtics excuted poorly on offense and the biggest run for the Heat came with Pierce in the locker room thanks to Lebron running him over and getting another call that he didn't deserve! The Heat are really in trouble unless they get a big man because honestly if the C's just wanted to beat the Heat the easy way they would have kept Shaq in and let him pound them! They need Dampier or somebody because Big Z and Anthony are not going to cut it! On top of that Lebron or Wade have to play the PG! Just being honest that team has alot of glaring holes! This team needs to have a starting line-up like this to really have a chance to win it all!

PG: Wade
SG: Miller
SF: Lebron

or

PG: Lebron
SG: Wade
SF: Miller

Big part being Dampier they need a legit 7' footer that can still move side to side or they can always go after Oden because i'm sure he is on the market!

Its not an excuse, unless you expect Wade and Bosh to combine for 28% FG for the rest of the season.

Niro
10-27-2010, 02:28 PM
i am expecting a blow out win tonight against the 76ers. if they fail again:sigh:

Hunter48MVP
10-27-2010, 02:31 PM
The Miami Heat are overrated. Hope they go 23-59 :up:. That my prediction

pd1dish
10-27-2010, 02:41 PM

yeah they had a lot of trouble with boston and they had no perkins. when perkins is back and the celtics have a deep rotation of big men, the heat are going to be praying they dont face the celtics in the playoffs.

TEXASTITAN
10-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah they are in each others hole and have been since they signed on together.

JordansBulls
10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/459/are-the-0-1-heat-in-a-hole

:eyebrow:

Dallas started 0-4 in 2007 IIRC and finished 67-15.

faze38
10-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Its not an excuse, unless you expect Wade and Bosh to combine for 28% FG for the rest of the season.

O I don't but I don't expect KG to play that poor again either and expect their D to be even tougher when Perkins comes back! I mean as poorly as they shot it wasn't jus because they missed open shots they were defended and their best weak side defender didn't even play so rather then having Big Baby taking charges Perkins is gonna turn those plays into blocks and hard fouls that tend to rattle Lebron and Wade! I mean as much as u can say o they shot poorly well the Celtics played tough D and were missing one of their best Defenders!

faze38
10-27-2010, 02:57 PM
The Miami Heat are overrated. Hope they go 23-59 :up:. That my prediction

Now thats just nuts 60+ wins but no rings this year Miami u guys need a good post defender! That is the clear def between the Miami big 3 and the Boston big 4 now a days! and yes I said 4 because I think it's time for Rondo to get his respect!

sep11ie
10-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah they are in each others hole and have been since they signed on together.

Exactly what I was gonna say.

heathonater
10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
the heat should be fine. they just played the defending eastern conf champs and made it a close game despite playing horrible basketball. wade and lebron clearly didnt look like they played much with each other, and as the season goes on i think the team will play better. it does show that it will take time for all 3 players to adjust to each others games.

todu82
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
The Heat will be fine. It's just 1 game. It'll take a couple weeks for these guys to mesh.

MJL
10-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, put it this way, the Heat sure doesn't looks like a 70 wins team as a lot sports media or Heat fans predicted...or at least it not like all those preseason high light clips of Heat from ESPN.
Matter of fact, I believe the first game performance of Heat sure put those prediction under 6 feet of dirt.

MJL
10-27-2010, 03:45 PM
The Heat will be fine. It's just 1 game. It'll take a couple weeks for these guys to mesh.

Need time to mesh...we sure didn't hear anyone signing that tune from day one they formed in Miami or during the preseason...Now, after the first lost, they suddently need time to mesh...
Sure, they will play better down the road, but it at least showed that it was not as easy and a sure thing as most sports media believed and predicted.
Don't forget the Magic and Bulls in the east too!

Avenged
10-27-2010, 03:46 PM
This may be a bit premature but a Celtics vs Heat series would be fun to watch. Either team could win it, especially come playoff time when both those teams will be even better than they are right now.

h2r09
10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
i think as a heat fan i have to be very encouraged about last night. even if it were the playoffs i wouldnt be horribly upset with a 8 point loss and the chance to win in the end. the fact that they couldnt hit anything in the first quarter, bosh and wade were horrible and lebron and wade had so many turnovers and we could have won that game in the end spells game over for most of the rest of the league. the celtics and lakers are the only teams who could realistically beat them in a 7 game series.

CLASSOF72
10-27-2010, 04:49 PM
i think as a heat fan i have to be very encouraged about last night. even if it were the playoffs i wouldnt be horribly upset with a 8 point loss and the chance to win in the end. the fact that they couldnt hit anything in the first quarter, bosh and wade were horrible and lebron and wade had so many turnovers and we could have won that game in the end spells game over for most of the rest of the league. the celtics and lakers are the only teams who could realistically beat them in a 7 game series.

I have to agree, the c's are a well oiled machine that took the Lakers to 7 in the finals last year and The Heat are just getting started. If the Heat had just lost to New Jersey or some other sub par team I'd be questioning the "decision", but the Heat showed they have a lot of tallent and it's just a matter of time before they get things rolling on all cylinders.

iliketurtles24
10-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I can already foresee the subject of next NBA article on espn.com:

Whichever team wins tonight's Kings/Wolves game takes home the Championship.

;)

the wolves are gonna win tonight and are gonna win the championship, no joke

CLASSOF72
10-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Good luck with that one.

Voodoo Alchemy
10-27-2010, 08:20 PM
wade needs to come off the bench like he did for team usa.

Hangtime
10-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Dallas started 0-4 in 2007 IIRC and finished 67-15.

And went on to lose to the 8th seed. Dominating the regular season doesn't guarantee success in the playoffs. They will seriously need those role players to step up in a seven game series against Boston.

P-O-Z
10-28-2010, 12:16 AM
:eyebrow: the heat just suck every fan on here outside the heat fans are correct we suck , we are overrated , this isnt gonna work out , we should just quit now . Dammit just shut the f up already this endless hate that everybody has on the heat is just ridiculous all this talk of wanting him to fail bugs me what are you mad he didnt come to your team ? huh ? The heat are fine and i cant wait to find out these ******** excuses when they end up beating YOUR team lets see what the excuses will be then .. and WHEN that happens ima shove it so far in your (Celtics , Lakers , Bulls , etc) faces my *** is gonna get banned and i speak for every heat fan . (Not on the getting banned part tho ... )

evadatam5150
10-28-2010, 12:17 AM
+1

For not being a Heat fan (Which you're sure to let us know every time you throw your hat into the forum) you sure do homer for them a lot.. Sad fact is most of us have had to listen to the same old rhetoric from Heat fans..

YOU MAD...??

So yeah it's kind of funny, kinda of refreshing, kinda satisfying, and kinda hard not to rub it in a little.. It is just one game in a very long season, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens... But I can say that the Celtics must have simply been laughing their junk off in the locker room after being completed discounted the entire pre-season by just about everybody...

evadatam5150
10-28-2010, 12:28 AM
:eyebrow: the heat just suck every fan on here outside the heat fans are correct we suck , we are overrated , this isnt gonna work out , we should just quit now . Dammit just shut the f up already this endless hate that everybody has on the heat is just ridiculous all this talk of wanting him to fail bugs me what are you mad he didnt come to your team ? huh ? The heat are fine and i cant wait to find out these ******** excuses when they end up beating YOUR team lets see what the excuses will be then .. and WHEN that happens ima shove it so far in your (Celtics , Lakers , Bulls , etc) faces my *** is gonna get banned and i speak for every heat fan . (Not on the getting banned part tho ... )

Soooooooooooooooo.. Stop watching, stop reading, stop posting, and move to Siberia that way you wont have to read 0r hear anything negative you poor widdle thing.. Honestly.. Get over yourself.. Listen, it is what it is, nut up or go home dude.. Lebron has made his bed, a lot of peeps don't like the choices he's made, a lot of people feel that he took the easy way out and you're going to hear a lot of laughter, a lot of cheering and a lot of negativity every time they win or lose.. As a lakers fan I have to hear this same stupid stuff about Kobe and our franchise and there's nothing I or anyone else can do about it..

In fact, you should become a Lakers fan... Nahhhhhhhh you couldn't handle it.. :D

John Walls Era
10-28-2010, 12:29 AM

I hate people who post like this.

But I'll give you 20000-1 odds.

NYKNYGNYY
10-28-2010, 12:47 AM
o no not one game...smh

justinnum1
10-28-2010, 12:47 AM
think its time to close this up...

P-O-Z
10-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Soooooooooooooooo.. Stop watching, stop reading, stop posting, and move to Siberia that way you wont have to read 0r hear anything negative you poor widdle thing.. Honestly.. Get over yourself.. Listen, it is what it is, nut up or go home dude.. Lebron has made his bed, a lot of peeps don't like the choices he's made, a lot of people feel that he took the easy way out and you're going to hear a lot of laughter, a lot of cheering and a lot of negativity every time they win or lose.. As a lakers fan I have to hear this same stupid stuff about Kobe and our franchise and there's nothing I or anyone else can do about it..

In fact, you should become a Lakers fan... Nahhhhhhhh you couldn't handle it.. :D

Spur of the moment bro

ink
10-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Since the Heat are no longer 0-1, this thread has expired.