PDA

View Full Version : Its official: Greg Oden to become restricted free agent next year

spreadeagle
10-26-2010, 05:58 PM
It's official. Portland center Greg Oden will be a restricted free agent next summer.

While it's not a surprise, considering Oden has played in just 82 games in his first three seasons due to injuries, the 2007 NBA top draft pick will become the first No. 1 selection to not have signed a contract extension after his third season since Kwame Brown was taken by Washington in 2001 and became a restricted free agent in the summer of 2005.

Bill Duffy, head of BDA Sports, which represents Oden, confirmed to FanHouse on Tuesday that Oden will not sign an extension by Monday's deadline.

"There's too much that he needs to do,'' Duffy said of Oden, who still has yet to be cleared to play after suffering a serious knee injury last December and missing the rest of the season.

Duffy called it a mutual decision between Oden's camp and the Trail Blazers to not to pursue an extension. He said it never really was discussed.

"It's really a foregone conclusion,'' Duffy said. "To evaluate what he's done so far, it's incomplete.''

Nov. 1 is the deadline for players taken in the first round of the 2007 draft to sign extensions that would kick in at the start of next season. It's normally Oct. 31 but was moved back a day this fall because Oct. 31 falls on a Sunday.

Only two players have signed so far, No. 2 pick Kevin Durant with Oklahoma City, and No. 9 selection Joakim Noah with Chicago. One agent representing a player taken in that first round speculates No. 3 selection Al Horford will end up re-signing with Atlanta, but that nobody else might sign. If that is the case, the number of players locked in would be three, half of the six who got extensions last fall. http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/26/greg-oden-to-be-restricted-free-agent-next-summer/

Chronz
10-26-2010, 06:02 PM
This will come back to haunt them because if hes healthy there is no question he will command more than what the option is. They will either let him go and lose out on that low risk extra year or match and be stuck with an injury prone player for a long time, rather than seeing if he can stay healthy for 2 more years before making that decision. Why not buy yourself more time before that big pay day. If he gets hurt then its all moot but youve got to figure hes going to put it together for atleast a season, it just so happens that you now have to pay 5 years for that season instead of 2.

kArSoN RyDaH
10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
they gtta give him an extension. especially since this year he should have a breakout year without being injured. like chronz said it can come back and bite em in the a.s.s because if he balls out then it can cost them more $$

spreadeagle
10-26-2010, 06:46 PM
He will look nice in a Raps uni next year:D

North Yorker
10-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Teams will be scared to sign him longterm. I bet he gets a lot of 1-3 yr offers, and Portland will match if he plays well and stays healthy this season.

BillyHoyle35
10-26-2010, 07:06 PM
This will come back to haunt them because if hes healthy there is no question he will command more than what the option is. They will either let him go and lose out on that low risk extra year or match and be stuck with an injury prone player for a long time, rather than seeing if he can stay healthy for 2 more years before making that decision. Why not buy yourself more time before that big pay day. If he gets hurt then its all moot but youve got to figure hes going to put it together for atleast a season, it just so happens that you now have to pay 5 years for that season instead of 2.

I totally agree with this, this is a mistake by the blazers

imagesrdecievin
10-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Teams will be scared to sign him longterm. I bet he gets a lot of 1-3 yr offers, and Portland will match if he plays well and stays healthy this season.

never underestimate the power of the overpaid bigman!

see Amir Johnson, Charlie Villanueva... etc.

abe_froman
10-26-2010, 07:15 PM
expect the cavs to overpay for him

numba1CHANGsta
10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Let the cap space dumping begin! :D

godolphins
10-26-2010, 07:35 PM
He'll take he's talent to South Beach.

Klivlend
10-26-2010, 07:36 PM
expect the cavs to overpay for him

That was actually my first thought as well.

ChiSox219
10-26-2010, 07:37 PM

The QO is $8,788,681.

If the Blazers were to offer Oden that annually for a short term, I think his agent would convince him to take his chances in RFA.

The Blazers already exercised both options on Oden, they have no more left.

JWO35
10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
He's worth the MLE...at the most

lvlheaded
10-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Id take him next to Amar'e

dob_telescope
10-26-2010, 08:15 PM
This is nothing... No matter what GO will be a blazer at least for the next couple of years. If he is healthy and even plays up to half of his potential Portland is has invested to much into him to let him go. If he is not healthy no team is going to come in with a huge offer and Portland will match. GM Cho has made this very clear in local interviews.

spreadeagle
10-26-2010, 08:24 PM
This is nothing... No matter what GO will be a blazer at least for the next couple of years. If he is healthy and even plays up to half of his potential Portland is has invested to much into him to let him go. If he is not healthy no team is going to come in with a huge offer and Portland will match. GM Cho has made this very clear in local interviews.

He was a number 1 pick...as long as he can walk he will get a big offer by 1 or 2 teams and it will cost the Blazers way more to resign him...and if they let him walk they look like fools for drafting him

BradyIsTheMan12
10-26-2010, 08:45 PM
We should have offered a deal before the season in order to get him locked up for a discount but I'm not worried about holding onto him after the season. Money isn't an issue for Paul Allen, it's just going to cost more to pay him when he pans out after the season.

Niro
10-26-2010, 08:45 PM
i would welcome him to golden state

SluggeR
10-26-2010, 09:52 PM
wouldnt be suprised if the cavs go after him and conley.

spreadeagle
10-26-2010, 10:07 PM
wouldnt be suprised if the cavs go after him and conley.

good idea to reunite them

Rafer17
10-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Greg Oden is a top 7 center when healthy. unfortunetly hes never healthy, so yes hes been a bust so far. However, with some good play this year, he can get rid of that label

Sixerlover
10-26-2010, 11:59 PM
If I had cap room and no dominant big man, I'd sign Greg Oden in a heartbeat for a reasonable number. He's the best defensive center in the league when healthy. A true post anchor

SA5195
10-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Hey...the Raptors need a C badly! :D

blackjack_119
10-27-2010, 12:53 AM
If Greg Oden is healthy, Portland will match any offer. If he is hurt, everyone would question the Blazers for signing him to an extention. This makes perfect sense for Portland.

Sadds The Gr8
10-27-2010, 01:10 AM
yes. hopefully we'll make a move for him.

bigsams50
10-27-2010, 01:17 AM
If he can show he can stay healthy this year, i'd love for Charlotte to give him a chance

Baller1
10-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Go to OKC and play with your "rival-by-default". That would be ****ing awesome.

jiggin
10-27-2010, 03:13 AM
With Paul allens deep pockets Portland isn't going to let him go if the price isn't ridiculous. I think this helps Portland get some outside guidance via other teams and if portland wants to pay going forward. Remember, they have been winning 50+ games a year with out him.

JasonJohnHorn
10-27-2010, 11:04 AM

This.

fadedmario
10-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Stuckey
Gordon
Daye
Monroe
Oden

We'll have enough cap room to make a run at Oden next year. Everyone know Detroit needs a center

drobe86
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Oden can't play dead anyway so it doesnt matter. This guys a walking injury

JPHX
10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
his only chance is to go to a team with an elite medical staff.

Chronz
10-27-2010, 02:59 PM
The QO is $8,788,681.

If the Blazers were to offer Oden that annually for a short term, I think his agent would convince him to take his chances in RFA.

The Blazers already exercised both options on Oden, they have no more left.
Hes at QO stage already? When did they exercise his options, seems pretty quick but I guess thats a result of him missing his entire rookie year, doesnt seem like hes been here that long.

Still if Im the Blazers I wouldnt eliminate the idea of a QO so soon, what if he stays healthy this year, I wouldnt commit long term to Oden until he has consecutive healthy seasons. Could you see the Thunder chasing him next year? I hope the Clips do if we have the funds

Yunqn
10-27-2010, 03:29 PM
go home greg(indiana) and ima bulls fan.. i sometimes wish he could just get back to full strength and play for us..(only cause joakim is way too skinny and gets destroyed by guys like roy hibbert smh) but go back home and play with collinson and granger..let them trade hibbert and something for kevin love or something..