PDA

View Full Version : Burrell's Interview Following Win

Armadillo19
10-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Mods, forgive me if this doesn't deserve its own thread, but what happened during Burrell's interview when everyone left in Philly started booing and Burrell looked over and said something like "what's going on over there?"

Obviously the announcers didn't want to comment, so I'm just curios what went down there.

iggypop123
10-23-2010, 11:53 PM
much to do about nothing

Jeffy25
10-23-2010, 11:54 PM
I love how Phillies fans boo him....unbelievable.

Talk about the greatest fans in baseball :rolleyes:

Gigantes4Life
10-24-2010, 12:01 AM
I think they were booing when the Giants were coming off the field.

WoodandNails
10-24-2010, 12:03 AM
I love how Phillies fans boo him....unbelievable.

Talk about the greatest fans in baseball :rolleyes:

I love how people judge when they don't even know what actually happened.

The people booing weren't anywhere near Burrell, so I don't know what makes you think they'd be booing him. Burrell got a great ovation every time he was introduced before the games in the series. If you're going to cheer for an opposing player when he comes to the plate in a playoff game, your priorities are out of whack.

Eagles4Lyfe
10-24-2010, 12:25 AM
what really happened??

ritz
10-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Phillies fans vomited/threw batteries/booed the Giants/Pat Burrell/Santa Claus/etc.

Gigantes4Life
10-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Phillies fans vomited/threw batteries/booed the Giants/Pat Burrell/Santa Claus/etc.

:laugh2:

You forgot tazed.

Jeffy25
10-24-2010, 12:41 AM
I love how people judge when they don't even know what actually happened.

The people booing weren't anywhere near Burrell, so I don't know what makes you think they'd be booing him. Burrell got a great ovation every time he was introduced before the games in the series. If you're going to cheer for an opposing player when he comes to the plate in a playoff game, your priorities are out of whack.

Then why was he booed at the plate?

I come from the school of never booing, ever. I don't believe it is good sportsmanship. But that is me, others don't necessarily agree.

That said, I would never boo a guy that was a part of my organization for 13 years, and helped us win a WS

vict1019
10-24-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm curious about why they were Booing too, it got pretty loud.

WoodandNails
10-24-2010, 12:52 AM

Because he was playing for the Giants...

I come from the school of never booing, ever. I don't believe it is good sportsmanship. But that is me, others don't necessarily agree.

That said, I would never boo a guy that was a part of my organization for 13 years, and helped us win a WS

Okay. I come from the school of 'boo is a three letter word that people get their panties in a bunch over for no good reason'.

Jeffy25
10-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Because he was playing for the Giants...

Okay. I come from the school of 'boo is a three letter word that people get their panties in a bunch over for no good reason'.

And to me, it is terrible sportsmanship. Why hate a player because he wears another jersey? Never got it. I don't hate any cubs players because they are Cubs....I don't like Zambrano for example, but I would never boo him.

A player was great for you, for a long time, and then you cast him out and boo him? Ouch...only in New York or Philly I guess.

Knowledge
10-24-2010, 01:00 AM

So we are suppose to cheer him during the game that decides our season?

Dmac
10-24-2010, 01:00 AM
I think they were booing when the Giants were coming off the field.

That is exactly why they were booing. They cut over, and you can see the Giants were going in the dugout when the booing started.

Jeffy25
10-24-2010, 01:03 AM
So we are suppose to cheer him during the game that decides our season?

how about....just not boo?

You can root for a former player and still hope to beat the team...

What if your kid/relative/person you know personally played on the Giants? You gonna boo him too?

I just don't see why you would boo the guy. Leave him alone...you aren't booing other players on the Giants.

stupidmop
They were booing because the Giant sjust pwned their girls.

MTone8788
And to me, it is terrible sportsmanship. Why hate a player because he wears another jersey? Never got it. I don't hate any cubs players because they are Cubs....I don't like Zambrano for example, but I would never boo him.

A player was great for you, for a long time, and then you cast him out and boo him? Ouch...only in New York or Philly I guess.

Burrell actually wasn't great... if you actually knew more about him you would know that he was suppose to be AMAZING coming out of college. He has underachieved in the Major Leagues... and you can't say I'm hating on him because he is one of my favorite players, and I always loved him as a Phillie and I still do.

Jeffy25
10-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Burrell actually wasn't great... if you actually knew more about him you would know that he was suppose to be AMAZING coming out of college. He has underachieved in the Major Leagues... and you can't say I'm hating on him because he is one of my favorite players, and I always loved him as a Phillie and I still do.

yeah, number one draft pick in 98.

Had a 119 OPS+ as a Phillie and hit 251 homers in 9 years. He may not be Albert Pujols, but he was no slacker in Phillie. A 15 WAR isn't very good over that time frame, but he was a solid hitter for you overall. He was supposed to be great, and he ended up just being pretty good.

2 pretty good seasons (02 and 05) and a bunch of underwhelming seasons, I get it. But to boo him when he comes to the plate? Just another example (IMO) of Phillies fans showing great class. Throwing batteries at Drew, a fan vomits on another fan? A cop tazing a fan? I know these are just petty little examples, every fan base has these types of fans...but it seems to happen an awful lot for Phillies fans...same with both New York teams. I will just never understand fans that boo though.

WoodandNails
10-24-2010, 01:11 AM

This is a difference in perspective. What about one syllable says "I hate you"? It's a simple word. The opposite of cheering. That's it.

If anything, there's more respect than hatred in a boo. If you're notable enough to be booed, it means the people doing the booing actually have a reason to voice an opinion on you and actively root against you.

If you're a person of note, like Burrell is in this city, you're going to get booed or cheered. When you're wearing the wrong jersey, it's not going to be the latter.

Jeffy25
10-24-2010, 01:14 AM
This is a difference in perspective. What about one syllable says "I hate you"? It's a simple word. The opposite of cheering. That's it.

If anything, there's more respect than hatred in a boo. If you're notable enough to be booed, it means the people doing the booing actually have a reason to voice an opinion on you and actively root against you.

If you're a person of note, like Burrell is in this city, you're going to get booed or cheered. When you're wearing the wrong jersey, it's not going to be the latter.

Well that is as good of a perspective you can have I guess.

Albert gets booed, the Yankees get booed, you boo those that are good, I get that. But booing an opposing player? Just seem classless.

MTone8788
10-24-2010, 01:16 AM

Had a 119 OPS+ as a Phillie and hit 251 homers in 9 years. He may not be Albert Pujols, but he was no slacker in Phillie. A 15 WAR isn't very good over that time frame, but he was a solid hitter for you overall. He was supposed to be great, and he ended up just being pretty good.

2 pretty good seasons (02 and 05) and a bunch of underwhelming seasons, I get it. But to boo him when he comes to the plate? Just another example (IMO) of Phillies fans showing great class. Throwing batteries at Drew, a fan vomits on another fan? A cop tazing a fan? I know these are just petty little examples, every fan base has these types of fans...but it seems to happen an awful lot for Phillies fans...same with both New York teams. I will just never understand fans that boo though.

Are you even from Philadelphia? Have you ever been to Citizen's Bank Park? Out of the millions of fans the Phillies have you choose the worst fans to generalize the fan base as a whole? You are ridiculous. Every city has bad fans and people who do disgusting and horrible things, but that doesn't mean every fan is like that. Get real.

And booing him when he comes to the plate is showing bad class? Are you serious? It's the NLCS aka the series leading to the World Series. No real fan of a team is going to cheer the opposing team with something that big at stake.

P.S. Good usage of the internet to quickly look up his stats, you're a real sharp one.

WoodandNails
10-24-2010, 01:17 AM

That line is the admittance of ignorance.

It comes up in almost every debate involving how "bad" Philly fans are. What you're saying is you don't consciously realize it, but you hear more about incidents in Philly because those are the ones the media loves to report on. Things seem a certain way for a reason. It's not because deep down you actually know something about the differences between people in several cities that you've never been to.

Think about it. What was the more celebrated case in the media: the dumb teenager in Philly who was tased after running onto the field for attention or the fan in New York who ran onto the field with intentions of harming Alex Rodriguez?

Knowledge
10-24-2010, 01:17 AM
how about....just not boo?

You can root for a former player and still hope to beat the team...

What if your kid/relative/person you know personally played on the Giants? You gonna boo him too?

I just don't see why you would boo the guy. Leave him alone...you aren't booing other players on the Giants.

I would probably be more of a Giants fan so that doesn't make sense.

The reason Burrell got booed that loudly at the plate was because of his stare down with Halladay. To be completely honest, although Burrell played here for a good amount of time, he was never completely liked.
But the fact that he helped bring a title to Philly made the fans respect and appreciate him. This wasnt like a true legend coming back to Philly like Dawkins who would be loved no matter the situation or where he played.

I would compare it to if you guys won the championship this year and Barry Zito came back next year as a Brave and played you guys in the playoffs and pitched well. He wouldn't be getting a standing ovation when he left the game, he would most likely be booed.

Jeffy25
10-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Are you even from Philadelphia? Have you ever been to Citizen's Bank Park? Out of the millions of fans the Phillies have you choose the worst fans to generalize the fan base as a whole? You are ridiculous. Every city has bad fans and people who do disgusting and horrible things, but that doesn't mean every fan is like that. Get real.

And booing him when he comes to the plate is showing bad class? Are you serious? It's the NLCS aka the series leading to the World Series. No real fan of a team is going to cheer the opposing team with something that big at stake.

P.S. Good usage of the internet to quickly look up his stats, you're a real sharp one.
:rolleyes:

okay darling.

MTone8788
10-24-2010, 01:21 AM
:rolleyes:

okay darling.

Exactly.

vict1019
10-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Rofl all this nonsense about not booing is dumb. Sports is all about fun. If people find booing fun, by all means do it! Get of your high horse.

Jeffy25
10-24-2010, 01:24 AM
That line is the admittance of ignorance.

It comes up in almost every debate involving how "bad" Philly fans are. What you're saying is you don't consciously realize it, but you hear more about incidents in Philly because those are the ones the media loves to report on. Things seem a certain way for a reason. It's not because deep down you actually know something about the differences between people in several cities that you've never been to.

Think about it. What was the more celebrated case in the media: the dumb teenager in Philly who was tased after running onto the field for attention or the fan in New York who ran onto the field with intentions of harming Alex Rodriguez?

You think anything like this is going to, or has happened in St. Louis? Denver? Atlanta? This isn't the media loving on it, it's the fact that these things happen in Philly, and the reputation hasn't been improved.

I have been to Philly a number of times, same with New York, hell I was in Atlanta this morning. This isn't from a lack of being in places, expierecing the rest of the country. It's the fact there is a fan base that do stupid ****. And I would be embarrassed to be a part of it, personally.

Either way, probably bad time to have this discussion, you just lost in the NLCS, so you are probably frustrated as it is, and I have no hard feelings toward you, or anyone in particular. But I would never boo an opposing player or team, and never have. Hell, I married a Cub fan, and I am a diehard Cards fan. Friendly competition, it's what I do in business, it's what I do in life, it isn't to sound preachy, I just can't believe you guys would boo Burrell. You don't boo every Giant, but you boo an ex player that really did perform okay for you.

leftymo
10-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Who cares. Let the losers boo, its what they do best.

Phillies and their fans got what they deserve. They tried to buy a championship like the yankees and now can watch.

They were overly confident and lost 2 of 3 games at home. The Giants beat Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels in the regular season, and beat all three in these playoffs.

What else do you want?

hype707
10-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Philly fans look like they are right out of the show "deadliest catch"... Those are some pretty good looking people if i do say so myself!lol.

i hope joe buck fell out of his seat when Howard struck out! **** him and **** the fans in Philly for proving once again that have no class!!!!

stupidmop
10-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Who the hell cares if they boo'ed? WE FREAKING WON THE SERIES. They can boo all they want. Haterz gunna hate.

Knowledge
10-24-2010, 01:32 AM
You think anything like this is going to, or has happened in St. Louis? Denver? Atlanta? This isn't the media loving on it, it's the fact that these things happen in Philly, and the reputation hasn't been improved.

I have been to Philly a number of times, same with New York, hell I was in Atlanta this morning. This isn't from a lack of being in places, expierecing the rest of the country. It's the fact there is a fan base that do stupid ****. And I would be embarrassed to be a part of it, personally.

Either way, probably bad time to have this discussion, you just lost in the NLCS, so you are probably frustrated as it is, and I have no hard feelings toward you, or anyone in particular. But I would never boo an opposing player or team, and never have. Hell, I married a Cub fan, and I am a diehard Cards fan. Friendly competition, it's what I do in business, it's what I do in life, it isn't to sound preachy, I just can't believe you guys would boo Burrell. You don't boo every Giant, but you boo an ex player that really did perform okay for you.

He just gave you an example and you totally ignored it to start preaching.

With this I now see that having any form of a intelligent conversation with you is hopeless. Good bye, sir. Have fun basking in ignorance.

WoodandNails
10-24-2010, 01:32 AM

Clearly, it does have everything to do with a lack of experiencing other places, as shown by your inability to comprehend different cultures having different views on the value of a word. You're not open-minded at all.

Absolutely, I believe something "like this" (whatever the hell you mean by that) has happened in other places and does pretty regularly. Running on the field wasn't invented in Philadelphia, nor was poor behavior or the consumption of alcohol.

goldenstater
10-24-2010, 01:36 AM
I think they booed cause the giants were coming off the field and there was a bunch of giants fans at the dugout cheering and the Philly fans were just simply drowning out there cheers. We would do the same out here really no big deal.

Jeffy25
10-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Clearly, it does have everything to do with a lack of experiencing other places, as shown by your inability to comprehend different cultures having different views on the value of a word. You're not open-minded at all.

Absolutely, I believe something "like this" (whatever the hell you mean by that) has happened in other places and does pretty regularly. Running on the field wasn't invented in Philadelphia, nor was poor behavior or the consumption of alcohol.

i'll let your frustration with your team, and not at me personally, slide and ignore it. I am not attacking you, you don't need to attack me.

I wasn't talking about running out on the field, or drinking. But where else do fans throw objects on the field with the intention of hurting an opposing player? Where do you have fans forcefully vomiting on one another? It really doesn't happen outside of the northeast. To say that I am not open minded? haha, from this conversation, that is what you create? Way to really dive deep into who I am, and call out my personal flaws that you so well can recognize. Every time I come to the northeast, I am met with tons of stereotypes that you don't see elsewhere (or at least not at the same frequency). I am not going to call those out as good or bad, it doesn't matter. But your fan base, can be awfully embarrassing at times. No one fan should ever have to accept that blame, or apologize for it, who cares. I simply called out the fan base for booing him. That is it. Take your frustration out elsewhere man, sorry you guys lost.

MTone8788
10-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Nobody is even hating on the Giants. They played a better series, obviously. Their whole team stepped it up, the starting pitching (minus Sanchez tonight), the bullpen, and they had some great hits. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be booed on an opposing field. I don't think San Fran would be doing much celebrating had the Phillies won there, but that's not case so we will never know :P

stupidmop
10-24-2010, 01:40 AM
I think they booed cause the giants were coming off the field and there was a bunch of giants fans at the dugout cheering and the Philly fans were just simply drowning out there cheers. We would do the same out here really no big deal.

No we wouldn't. We wouldn't have lost the game. LOLOLOLOLOOLOLO

Jeffy25
10-24-2010, 01:42 AM
He just gave you an example and you totally ignored it to start preaching.

With this I now see that having any form of a intelligent conversation with you is hopeless. Good bye, sir. Have fun basking in ignorance.

what example did I ignore?

MooseWithFleas
10-24-2010, 01:52 AM
This really isn't going anywhere. To the OP, I was at the game, and the fans were booing the Giants team as they came off the field. Hope that clears it up. Pretty much every fan base boo's the other team right after they have lost. If we won the series in SF, I'd expect them to boo us like the Dodgers did in 08, Brewers in 08, Rockies in 09, and Reds in 10 when we won on the road.

Not that any of what I said will alter everyone's preconceived notion of the Philly fan base. We are all drunk, vomiting, boo-birds, who hate santa, love batteries, and probably abuse our children. BRB, gonna go put a giants jersey on a puppy and kick it into the Schuylkill.