PDA

View Full Version : What's the hardest position to succeed with in the NBA?

TheHoopsProphet
10-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Keep in mind I am not asking whats the hardest position to stay healthy with (obviously center position), but rather the skill and craft and intelligence and effort (physical and mental) one must develop to be considered a perennial all-star.

Though guards have to learn quickness, dribbling, shooting more than big men, its relatively easy to score points with the no-hand check rules implemented in 2004.

And many centers don't have efficient postmoves, and if double teamed they are basically denied any chance of scoring. To lead a team, not only do they have to score, but they have to use their energy to block the lanes, box-out, screen, and rebound to be considered all-star bigmen.

I think its easiest to be a small-forward, just from the simple fact that if you have any solid-to-good outside shoot you are guaranteed a +4year, +$35 million contract in the market. They aren't expected to be as good ball handlers or rebounders as the respective positions.

But which is the hardest? Are hall of fame guards more accomplished than hall of fame centers? Or vice versa? And am i underrating the forward position? And is it inappropriate to be in your underwear past 4pm? These are all questions Id like answered

asandhu23
10-23-2010, 07:31 PM
point guard. the stat people look for when you play depends on the guy making the shot within a certain time

Crackadalic
10-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Point guard its not easy to run a team basically the quarterback of the nba

Mudvayne91
10-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Based on their consistent poor performance, I'd have to say the refs.

Jamiecballer
10-23-2010, 09:26 PM
i would think doggy because your hips are so much higher than the girls behind. just kidding. i say point guard. quarterbacking a team is the hardest part of the position.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Is there really a qualification to play a position?

I mean you have players at SG who can't shoot for their life.

SF25
10-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Point easily imo since they run your offense. If your point guard sucks it's tough to win games.

Rafer17
10-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Point is like the QB....so QB

phlp_bj
10-23-2010, 09:53 PM
point guard. then center

TheHoopsProphet
10-24-2010, 12:24 AM
I dont think the influx of all-star talent point guards (Rose, Rondo, Paul, Williams, Harris, Evans, Parker, Nelson, Nash, Westbrook, Kidd) is a coincidence. It is so much easier to be vaunted as a great player in the point guard position. All you need is TJ Ford-like talent to be considered an up and coming great player. They defend knowing they have back-up defenders waiting by the basket behind them, they don't rebound (sans rondo, kidd obviously), they don't block shots, and they usually risk their defensive positions by trying to anticipate passes so they can hawk up their spg stats, meanwhile bigmen change and alter shots that wont show up on the defensive box score. Their biggest asset is "court vision" yet most of these point guards have horrendous turnover-assist ratios.

mvb815
10-24-2010, 12:32 AM
i really don't see point guard being the hardest to succeed with, you come up with the ball in most cases so you are going to have more opportunity than anyone else even as a young guy.

however, a shooting guard has a frame smaller than a forward with half the looks of a point guard. so you have to have some serious talent to succeed as a great shooting guard.

Jewelz0376
10-24-2010, 04:54 AM
Its hard to say between pg and sg....Pg you have to know the whole offense..and able to the stick the super athletic pgs in the league...SG is also tough because they're lots of tough covers at the sg position too...and you either have to be a good shooter or be able to create off the dribble or be a great defender (ala ross, tabo, etc)

The easiest is C just because the position isn't very deep...you can't be a decent big man in the league just playing hard and being an energy guy...