PDA

View Full Version : Why is Luol Deng so Underrated?

dnewguy
10-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Does anyone think Luol Deng is not a good player? There have been several analysts that think the Bulls would only be a contender if they trade him for someone like Carmelo. Luol Deng is probably one of the few players that can put up huge stats but settle for less shots for the benefit of his team. IMO he is a top 5 small forward in the league. I just don't understand why people just don't take the guy seriously.

I would only rank him below this guys

1. Bron
2. Durrant
3. Melo
4. Deng (even though I think he brings more balance to a team than melo)

Your thoughts?

DerekRE_3
10-23-2010, 01:22 PM
haha, ok. So he's better than Gerald Wallace who can put up 20 and 10 and be a top 3 candidate for defensive player of the year? Please.

footballer2369
10-23-2010, 01:23 PM
My initial thought was "lol".

Then after reading my thought was "holy crap".

So those are my thoughts...

Gators123
10-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Hes good, but not top 5

Iggz53
10-23-2010, 01:25 PM
He's not as good as G-Wall, Granger when he tries on defense, and probably not Iggy either. But other than that, I don't see any SF's better (so 7th on my list).

dnewguy
10-23-2010, 01:26 PM
haha, ok. So he's better than Gerald Wallace who can put up 20 and 10 and be a top 3 candidate for defensive player of the year? Please.

IMO he is...better scorer.

Hellcrooner
10-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Average Shooter.
Average Defender.
Average .

CubbySwag313
10-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Does anyone think Luol Deng is not a good player? There have been several analysts that think the Bulls would only be a contender if they trade him for someone like Carmelo. Luol Deng is probably one of the few players that can put up huge stats but settle for less shots for the benefit of his team. IMO he is a top 5 small forward in the league. I just don't understand why people just don't take the guy seriously.

1. Bron
2. Durrant
3. Melo

Your thoughts?

Im a Bulls fan and i find this hilarious....If the Bulls management could find a taker for Deng and his horrible contract they would trade his *** in a heart beat. Hes soft, no handles and all he does is shoot 15-17 foot jump shots! And please dont compare him to Melo...

effen5
10-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Average Shooter.
Average Defender.
Average .

Except hes a pretty good shooter
a pretty good defender

but he just disapears at end of games...but the way Coach Thibs has been playing him so far in preseason, hes going to have a huge impact with the team if IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF hes healthy

nystandup
10-23-2010, 01:37 PM
shouldn't the name of the thread be called why is Deng so overrrated?

YoungOne
10-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Average Shooter.
Average Defender.
Average .

that's it.

ink
10-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Except hes a pretty good shooter
a pretty good defender

but he just disapears at end of games...but the way Coach Thibs has been playing him so far in preseason, hes going to have a huge impact with the team if IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF hes healthy

I have to admit I've only seen him in two games this year but I liked what I saw. The same thought went through my mind: that we've been under-rating Deng for a few years. Looks like coaching has a lot to do with his play because he has been pretty impressive this year.

smith&wesson
10-23-2010, 01:38 PM
bron
durant
mello
iggy
gerald wallace
rudy gay
granger

and im sure im missing some.

deng is decent, injuries is really why ppl sleap on him now because he was injured for a loongg time.

SeekTheTruth
10-23-2010, 01:40 PM
granger,iggy,pp,wallace,magette, gay, and probably butler. So no, i would say he is thought of just as he should be, a near top 10 SF

YoungOne
10-23-2010, 01:40 PM
bron
durant
mello
iggy
gerald wallace
rudy gay
granger

deng is decent, injuries is really why ppl sleap on him now because he was injured for a loongg time.

what about pierce??

Hellcrooner
10-23-2010, 01:41 PM
bron
durant
mello
iggy
gerald wallace
rudy gay
granger

Remove Gay who does not deffend for jack and has horrible Iq and you ahve yourself a list

effen5
10-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I have to admit I've only seen him in two games this year but I liked what I saw. The same thought went through my mind: that we've been under-rating Deng for a few years. Looks like coaching has a lot to do with his play because he has been pretty impressive this year.

You know what I love about coach Thibs? Hes making Deng shoot threes (and hes been on fire behind the arc so far in the preseason) instead of the long two's he took last year.

If we can get melo for deng, of course I would do that in a heart beat, but I am not going to cry over not getting Melo, Deng has so far shown he has improved tremendously from last year just by switching coaches.

NYtilIdie
10-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Because he gets paid like a star.

1. Bron
2. Durant
3. Melo
4. Crash
5. Granger

Deng be between 8-10.

KG2TB
10-23-2010, 01:46 PM
granger,iggy,pp,wallace,magette, gay, and probably butler. So no, i would say he is thought of just as he should be, a near top 10 SF

He's definitely better than Maggette and Gay. Butler is debatable. Pretty close, IMO. Deng is a top 10 SF and I'd put him at 8.

justinnum1
10-23-2010, 01:46 PM
My initial thought was "lol".

Then after reading my thought was "holy crap".

So those are my thoughts...

This.

29$JerZ
10-23-2010, 01:48 PM

1. Bron
2. Durrant
3. Melo

Your thoughts?

Crash/Granger are better than Deng.

Deng isn't underrated or overrated, he is just an above average SF who is getting paid like a star when he isn't. If his contract wasn't so high he'd be valuable to other teams.

effen5
10-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Crash/Granger are better than Deng.

Deng isn't underrated or overrated, he is just an above average SF who is getting paid like a star when he isn't. If his contract wasn't so high he'd be valuable to other teams.

Id say Crash is but I don't think Granger is.

Jays Claw
10-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Deng isn't underrated or overrated. He's just an average but inconsistent SF who's being paid like an all-star.

Lake_Show2416
10-23-2010, 01:53 PM
hes not even a top 10 SF.. theres a reason the bulls have been trying to trade him for awhile now.. he just never panned out to his full potential

D1JM
10-23-2010, 01:57 PM
hes not even a top 10 SF.. theres a reason the bulls have been trying to trade him for awhile now.. he just never panned out to his full potential

or vinny del negro was misusing him

dnewguy
10-23-2010, 01:59 PM
bron
durant
mello
iggy
gerald wallace
rudy gay
granger

If Deng was the primary focus of his team he will be putting up better stats than Iguodola, Gay, Wallace and Granger....he has always been used as 3rd offensive option on his team....give him the kind of oppurtunity those 4 guys have and he will be putting up better and more efficient stats than Melo. Keep in mind that despite his injuries, Deng career fg percentage if .474.

Raoul Duke
10-23-2010, 01:59 PM
He's not terrible. Heck, you could even argue that he's worth his 11 million dollar price tag this season if he stays healthy (and thats a big "IF"). What kills his value is that he has three years left on his contract after this season. He's set to make over 14 million in '13/'14. That is not a bargain...

Jays Claw
10-23-2010, 02:01 PM

The Bulls never suspected his talent or capabilities. It was his contract that hindered their payroll and they wanted to get rid of him so they could have cap space before the 2010 FA. Yeah sure, he never panned out to be that all-star SF everyone expected him to be, but hindsight is a *****. I fully expect both Deng and the Bulls to move on forward from here on out.

lavilevi23
10-23-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd take these players ahead of him:
Bron
Pierce
Gay
Butler
Maggette
Granger
Durant
G-Wall
Melo
Iggy
Artest
Mike Miller

YoungOne
10-23-2010, 02:06 PM
The Bulls never suspected his talent or capabilities. It was his contract that hindered their payroll and they wanted to get rid of him so they could have cap space before the 2010 FA. Yeah sure, he never panned out to be that all-star SF everyone expected him to be, but hindsight is a *****. I fully expect both Deng and the Bulls to move on forward from here on out.

bulls paying deng, boozer and noah nearly as much as the heat paying lebron, wade and bosh, so their future looks not to bright after the new collective bargain agreement...

Hellcrooner
10-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Id Rather Have as my Sf. In no order.

Igoudala.
Pierce.
J Simith.
G Wallace.
Lebron.
MIke Miller.
R Lewis.
T Prince.
D Granger.
R Artest.
batum.
Durant.
Melo.
R Jeffersson.
Ariza.
Battier.
Butler

ink
10-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Igoudala.
Pierce.
J Simith.
G Wallace.
Lebron.
MIke Miller.
R Lewis.
T Prince.
D Granger.
R Artest.
batum.
Durant.
Melo.
R Jeffersson.
Ariza.
Battier.
Butler

But that's not the topic of the thread.

If you don't think he's under-rated that's fine, but please don't throw the thread off-topic.

The OP wants to talk about WHY Deng is under-rated.

NihonJinDesu
10-23-2010, 02:09 PM

1. Bron
2. Durrant
3. Melo

Your thoughts?

In the words of OCHOCINCO "CHILD PLEASE!"

Here are some of SF in the league

LeBon
Durant
Carmelo
Artest
Battier
Chandler
Ariza
Butler
Hedo
Magette
AK-47
Roy
Gay
Granger
Wallace
Prince

Its not that Deng is no good its the fact that he was not underrated in my opinion if he was the main piece for a possible deal for Kobe (that Kobe wanted him to stay) its just the fact his range needed to be expanded and he is often injured... so no he is not overrated or underrated he is what he is a average SF

TrueFan420
10-23-2010, 02:10 PM
If Deng was the primary focus of his team he will be putting up better stats than Iguodola, Gay, Wallace and Granger....he has always been used as 3rd offensive option on his team....give him the kind of oppurtunity those 4 guys have and he will be putting up better and more efficient stats than Melo. Keep in mind that despite his injuries, Deng career fg percentage if .474.

hahahahahahah thats just erroneous deng will never put up numbers like melo first option or not

YoungOne
10-23-2010, 02:15 PM
In the words of OCHOCINCO "CHILD PLEASE!"

Here are some of SF in the league

LeBon
Durant
Carmelo
Artest
Battier
Chandler
Ariza
Butler
Hedo
Magette
AK-47
Roy
Gay
Granger
Wallace
Prince

Its not that Deng is no good its the fact that he was not underrated in my opinion if he was the main piece for a possible deal for Kobe (that Kobe wanted him to stay) its just the fact his range needed to be expanded and he is often injured... so no he is not overrated or underrated he is what he is a average SF

again... PIERCE?? :facepalm:

Jays Claw
10-23-2010, 02:20 PM
he has always been used as 3rd offensive option on his team....give him the kind of oppurtunity those 4 guys have and he will be putting up better and more efficient stats than Melo.

Deng has never been consistent nor efficient enough to begin with. Also, Deng was never really the third option over the years. Only in '08-09 was he viewed as the third option as he played with Gordon and Rose (rookie at the time).

And when comparing career PER's, Deng isn't really up to that level. Deng (16.4), Granger (19.8) and Wallace (18.3). The only exception is Gay (16.2).

If you still disagree, shall we look into 36MPG statistics? Scoring-wise, Deng (17.8), Granger (24.1), Wallace (18.2) and Gay (17.8).

As for the Melo comment, false. Deng even if averaging 48MPG will never be as efficient as Melo, sorry.

bulls paying deng, boozer and noah nearly as much as the heat paying lebron, wade and bosh, so their future looks not to bright after the new collective bargain agreement...

I was talking about team play rather than team payroll.

fadedmario
10-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Because he sucks and the Bulls haven't done **** with him since they drafted him imo

NihonJinDesu
10-23-2010, 02:24 PM
again... PIERCE?? :facepalm:

NO! NO ! NO!

Haha jk I just forgot that I mentioned the number of SF... if anything we should prolly start mentioning how underrated Pierce is

John Walls Era
10-23-2010, 02:24 PM
A guy who gets paid that much is not underrated. A few years ago he was really overrated though.

Bravo95
10-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Maybe because people saw how he remained more of a complimentary guy, even when the Bulls needed much more from him. Good player, but not a Top 10 SF imo. Lebron, Durant, Carmelo, Crash, Granger, Pierce, Butler, Artest, Gay, Iggy

lavilevi23
10-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Who the hell is Crash?

DerekRE_3
10-23-2010, 03:56 PM
IMO he is...better scorer.

At best it's a push. And Gerald Wallace is a better rebounder, defender, and leader. And it's not close in those 3 areas.

DerekRE_3
10-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Who the hell is Crash?

Gerald Wallace. Because he's always crashing into things/people.

Cool007
10-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Igoudala.
Pierce.
J Simith.
G Wallace.
Lebron.
MIke Miller.
R Lewis.
T Prince.
D Granger.
R Artest.
batum.
Durant.
Melo.
R Jeffersson.
Ariza.
Battier.
Butler

This is the classic example why Deng is so underrated. If you take Artest/RJeff/Ariza/Mike Miller/Prince of 2010 etc. over him.

People don't know how good this current Deng is. He is totally justifying his contract right now (if he continues his play that he has been in the preseason).

The biggest knock on him was that he was just a pure jump shooter and really stopped slashing more like he was in 06-07 season but right now under Thibs, he is easily like himself that he was in 06-07 season and some as he has really improved on his 3pt shooting and is slashing a lot more, posting a lot more, and shooting 3s in volume too.

His efficiency is going through the roof, going to the free throw line a lot etc.

People need to pay more attention. I easily see Deng as top 5-7 SF in the league by end of the year.

JordansBulls
10-23-2010, 07:04 PM

1. Bron
2. Durrant
3. Melo

Your thoughts?

I think he is in the range of Butler, Wallace and maybe Pierce.

DerekRE_3
10-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I think he is in the range of Butler, Wallace and maybe Pierce.

Butler sure, Wallace no. Pierce no.

Rafer17
10-24-2010, 11:20 PM
:laugh:

Luol Deng is top 30 at best

Ovratd1up
10-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Durant, Lebron, Pierce, Granger, Wallace, and Melo are all beter than him. You could argue Iguodala.