PDA

View Full Version : Would the Rangers vs. the Giants in the WS be terrible for baseball?

BSplaya2121
10-22-2010, 11:14 PM
I know it would be fun to see two teams that aren't usually in the series and it would be fun to see Lee vs. Timmy a couple times but I would imagine outside of the games where the two aces are pitching it might have an absolutely terrible revenue stream for baseball.

I mean there probably aren't too many fans of these teams outside of their respective cities, but i just wonder what every one else thinks. Would anyone watch these games? In its entirety? bits and pieces? I'm not trying to diss either team because they would both deserve to be there and obviously I know the Phillies aren't out of it but please let me know what everything thinks.

gocubs2118
10-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Maybe for the Casual fan but Giants/Rangers is what I was hoping for.

mark1125
10-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Personally, I would love it. Get some new blood. I like to see teams that feel "entitled" like Yans and Phills (to a lesser extent), get dumped by the underdog. I don't say I am a huge fan of Texas or Giants, but I would rather see that then Yanks/Phills again.

natepro
10-22-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm so sick of questions like this.

spurs4#5
10-22-2010, 11:19 PM
dude this is great for baseball...personally im not a rangers fan im a cubs fan...but to see the rangers make the series is just awesome

Mopped_you
I would definitely watch, but I think that series would get pretty bad ratings. And I don't think it's bad for baseball, it shows parity which people love.

GottaBelieve
This is the biggest myth in baseball.

The idea that 2 teams like the Rangers and Giants being in the World Series is bad for baseball is nonsense.

Baseball needs a few more of these if it wants long-term success.

No one in the NFL said the Super Bowl between 2 teams from Louisiana and Indiana was bad for the sport. In fact, it was great for the sport.

That's the difference between the NFL and MLB.

Competitive balance is a good thing.

AjBurnett
10-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Maybe for people the casual fans. But for people who love baseball, I would say no. Glad not to see the Yanks vs Phillies in the WS again

mdlr52192
10-22-2010, 11:20 PM
In terms of people watching, maybe because there's a lack of household names, but for real fans it would be great.

JCmasta
10-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, and Cardinals being in the world series all the time would be bad for baseball.

In the NFL no one would complain if the Lions and Chiefs played in the superbowl. They'd be talking about how much the city of the detroit deserves a SB and how the KC chiefs rebuilt their team the right way and climbed the mountaintop.

In base ball you have fools going on about the fact that the same powerhouses aren't in. Wake up, the Yanks-Phillies WS didn't do gangbusters ratings wise.

rkelly7
10-22-2010, 11:23 PM
good for the game, bad for the business side of baseball, but I don't care, this is good for the game

Canterbury
10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
As a baseball fan, I'm loving it. Who knows? Maybe ESPN and such would make a push for theses teams for once.

Giraffes Rule
10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Not any worse than it was in 2005 with the Astros and White Sox. I think people are going to be more excited about seeing the Rangers play than anyone else that could have made it.

As a baseball fan, I'm loving it. Who knows? Maybe ESPN and such would make a push for theses teams for once.

:laugh2:
That's more delusional than the people that say the Cowboys will win the NFC east.

ugafan
10-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Good for baseball, bad for revenues.

astrosmaniac
10-22-2010, 11:32 PM
i personally wanna see philly and texas. lee versus halladay. then we'll see if philly made th right choice this offseason

netsgiantsyanks
10-22-2010, 11:35 PM
id watch. sig bet that the giants win!! :D

nysportsfan02
10-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I would say no.

Gives a chance for two pretty decent sized markets to get back on the map of being a popular team.

Public Enemy #1
10-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Not sure, I don't think its bad for baseball at all. Two underrated teams make the World Series and dethrone two teams that have gone the last 2 years, well, Yanks once but still.

jon32
10-22-2010, 11:37 PM
hell no, i personally would love it , pumped texas is going. That being said im a blue jays fan and i wanna see doc get the ring ..... go phillies!!

NYY NYJ NYK
10-22-2010, 11:37 PM
na I would actually really enjoy the series.

I really don't care who wins. Just like to watch baseball.

Giants vs Rangers could be a really fun match up

iggypop123
10-22-2010, 11:38 PM
horrific for business. dont think the casual fan would tune in. baseball fans will watch no matter what, but whether they stick around is up to the competition and quality of the games.

abe_froman
10-22-2010, 11:38 PM
how the hell would it be bad for baseball:
giants-one of the most storied franchises in the league,back in prominence v. texas-going on a cinderella run after a history of disappointment.have two of the best pitches in the game and both teams are fun to watch

sounds like a great storyline to me

phils and yanks have alot of fans sure.but there are fanbases of other teams besides those two,why is it bad for them to enjoy going to the ws? its no fun if only the same handful of teams are the ones that get to enjoy that level of success every year

Korman12
10-22-2010, 11:41 PM
If you look at sports purely as a tactical business, then it's bad. If you look at it as a sports, it's good.

One feeling I have about when this issue is asked (not only in this, but the three other sports), is that people who think things like this are bad (Colin Cowherd, for example) look at the sport as if it's in its infancy - as if, for some reason, it will not survive a small market championship, or it will be severely hurt.

What the reality is, is that all North American professional team sports cannot thrive on only a small group of teams winning everything - that's the root of the NBA's struggles.

If it works for the NFL, what's so bad about it for MLB?

Driven
10-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Absolutely it is awful for baseball. Anyone who says that it helps long-term is simply making that up. This will be the lowest rating World Series in history. What drives TV ratings? Big markets. NY vs. Philly would have been a gold mine, as it is a repeat of last year's WS.

What has helped the NBA gain momentum in the last few years, after hitting a huge low? The Lakers. The Celtics. LeBron James. Stars.

This World Series (if the Giants do end up making it) will have one star - Hamilton. Lincecum is right there as well, but he'll pitch two or three games. Guerrero is a name people know.

Bad ratings is bad for baseball anyway you look at it. You want people to talk about the World Series. You want it to be all over the place.

People will not be watching Texas vs. San Fran. Hell, no one watched TB vs. Philly and that included a big market/name.

otwisted
10-22-2010, 11:45 PM
It wouldn't draw high ratings outside of SF and TEX. Now MLB will say it's great to see two new teams in the WS, but behind closed doors they really want big market clubs in the WS, which is a terrible statement. When theres only a handful of teams that can afford high payrolls and at the same time MLB wants these teams at the big show, thats bad for the sport as a whole.

NYY NYJ NYK
10-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Absolutely it is awful for baseball. Anyone who says that it helps long-term is simply making that up. This will be the lowest rating World Series in history. What drives TV ratings? Big markets. NY vs. Philly would have been a gold mine, as it is a repeat of last year's WS.

What has helped the NBA gain momentum in the last few years, after hitting a huge low? The Lakers. The Celtics. LeBron James. Stars.

This World Series (if the Giants do end up making it) will have one star - Hamilton. Lincecum is right there as well, but he'll pitch two or three games. Guerrero is a name people know.

Bad ratings is bad for baseball anyway you look at it. You want people to talk about the World Series. You want it to be all over the place.

People will not be watching Texas vs. San Fran. Hell, no one watched TB vs. Philly and that included a big market/name.
Don't forget about Lee

Driven
10-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Don't forget about Lee
I did forget about Lee. But I don't think he's anywhere near the level of Halladay or Sabathia. I don't think he's the type of guy that will draw people into watching him pitch. If Halladay is pitching, EVERYONE's going to watch.

abe_froman
10-22-2010, 11:52 PM
It wouldn't draw high ratings outside of SF and TEX. Now MLB will say it's great to see two new teams in the WS, but behind closed doors they really want big market clubs in the WS, which is a terrible statement. When theres only a handful of teams that can afford high payrolls and at the same time MLB wants these teams at the big show, thats bad for the sport as a whole.

if so then whats the point of having clubs outside of those 4 markets? if your going to have a 30 club league than your accepting the possibility that some team among the 26 that you deem is "bad for baseball" is going to emerge and get past the 4 you deem as good

redsox0717
10-22-2010, 11:55 PM
It's bad for Fox, not bad for baseball.

Driven
10-22-2010, 11:55 PM
if your going to have a 30 club league than your accepting the possibility that some team among the 26 that you deem is "bad for baseball" is going to emerge and get past the 4 you deem as good

I don't really understand what you're saying here, but from what I understand, I don't see what's wrong with this statement.

Of course some teams are going to make you more money than others.

Driven
10-22-2010, 11:56 PM
It's bad for Fox, not bad for baseball.
Please explain this. If it's bad for Fox, then it's bad for baseball. Fox pays baseball to broadcast the World Series. If ratings decrease, it's less money that the MLB will make.

One Nut Kruk
10-22-2010, 11:57 PM
If San Fran vs Texas is bad for baseball, then I hope baseball struggles every year.

boomheadshot45
10-22-2010, 11:59 PM
For one year, I don't care if its bad for baseball's business. Hell maybe the outrageous contracts will take a hit, if so I'll be happy. I really want to see a Giants v. Rangers WS.

Eye_B_Hung
10-22-2010, 11:59 PM
1997 World Series: Cleveland Indians vs. Florida Marlins

16.7 TV Rating
29 Market Share
24,790,000 Viewers

Second highest viewership total in the last 13 years. Only 2004 (Red Sox first WS title since 1918) had a larger viewership at 25,390,000. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wstv.shtml

I think plenty will watch Giants/Rangers.

BoognishMN
10-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Lee vs. Lincecum would be good for Baseball. Relying on big market teams to reach the world series is a bad business model to begin with. Fans will watch regardless, fans who only watch if the Yankees are playing are not the core demographic they should be chasing.

NYY NYJ NYK
10-23-2010, 12:01 AM
I did forget about Lee. But I don't think he's anywhere near the level of Halladay or Sabathia. I don't think he's the type of guy that will draw people into watching him pitch. If Halladay is pitching, EVERYONE's going to watch.

I would disagree,

Watching Cliff Lee [pitch in the Playoffs is really entertain. He just so dominate.

NYY NYJ NYK
EDIT: Double Post

Giraffes Rule
i personally wanna see philly and texas. lee versus halladay. then we'll see if philly made th right choice this offseason

The Phillies did make the right choice. Cliff Lee was/is determined to test the free agent market, Halladay was willing to sign an extension. I'll take the best pitcher in baseball the past 2-3 years who pitched in the toughest division for multiple years over the best post-season pitcher for one season.

I love how everyone is saying the Rangers are the favorites just by virtue of having a good offense and Cliff Lee. The Phillies had a good offense and Cliff Lee last year and they still lost.

thedfactor
10-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Giants Rangers would be amazing. I think it's good for baseball you have a first timer team in the Rangers and then the Giants with Timmy and likely ROY Buster Posey representing the NL. It would be a fun series to watch because I like both teams.

ClayMatthews
10-23-2010, 12:08 AM
I like watching world series when the yankees dont win.

JCmasta
10-23-2010, 12:09 AM
The Phillies did make the right choice. Cliff Lee was/is determined to test the free agent market, Halladay was willing to sign an extension. I'll take the best pitcher in baseball the past 2-3 years who pitched in the toughest division for multiple years over the best post-season pitcher for one season.

I love how everyone is saying the Rangers are the favorites just by virtue of having a good offense and Cliff Lee. The Phillies had a good offense and Cliff Lee last year and they still lost.

The Phillies hand a 40 yd old Pedro Martinez, a Head case version of Cole hamels, and Joe Blanton in their rotation. We have CJ and COlby to compliment Lee along with our explosive, dynamic offense.

Oh and Brad Lidge was their closer. :p

SouthSideRookie
10-23-2010, 12:12 AM

I agree, Lee vs Halliday would be epic. That series would have 7 games written all over it.

jscotty8
10-23-2010, 12:14 AM
These are both top 10 media markets... And the Giants are one of the older teams around with as much of fan base as the phillies... Bad question.

Eye_B_Hung
10-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I'd rather watch the Yankees than have to sit through another WS involving Philadelphia. PUKE. I hope SF tramples them tomorrow.

NJBASEBALL22
10-23-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't see how it will be.

Teufelshunde4
10-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Thinks its awesome that a 200 million dollar All Star team couldnt make it to the World Series.... Its great for baseball... Plus its so much fun hearing ALL Yankee fans whine about it..

bklynny67
10-23-2010, 12:29 AM
no way, stupid question. was the cardinals and tigers WS bad for baseball? i dont think so. people wanna see different teams make it... i'm sure the majority of the country absolutely do not want another Yankees/Phillies WS.

bklynny67
10-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Thinks its awesome that a 200 million dollar All Star team couldnt make it to the World Series.... Its great for baseball... Plus its so much fun hearing ALL Yankee fans whine about it..

^^^THIS

200 million dollar team loses to the 55 million dollar team. yanks have 2 players that make more than the entire TEX team... thats definitely good for baseball. AND I LOVE IT

netsgiantsyanks
10-23-2010, 12:44 AM
^^^THIS

200 million dollar team loses to the 55 million dollar team. yanks have 2 players that make more than the entire TEX team... thats definitely good for baseball. AND I LOVE IT

good for baseball, terrible for revenue.

netsgiantsyanks
10-23-2010, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=bklynny67;15296149]no way, stupid question. was the cardinals and tigers WS bad for baseball? i dont think so. people wanna see different teams make it... QUOTE]

:facepalm:

netsgiantsyanks
10-23-2010, 12:48 AM
^^^ :facepalm: um, yea they would. not hating by any means, but a yankees/phillies matchup would have got the mlb shitloads of revenue because of how many people would have watched it across the country.

bklynny67
10-23-2010, 12:52 AM
^^^ :facepalm: um, yea they would. not hating by any means, but a yankees/phillies matchup would have got the mlb shitloads of revenue because of how many people would have watched it across the country.

i know ur bitter cuz the yanks lost... but anyone thats not a yanks/phills fan, wants TEX and SF to make it... there's gonna be more people watching the WS than u think. people dont wanna see yanks/phills

blacknell
10-23-2010, 01:01 AM
not if the games are exciting

Giraffes Rule
10-23-2010, 01:04 AM
i know ur bitter cuz the yanks lost... but anyone thats not a yanks/phills fan, wants TEX and SF to make it... there's gonna be more people watching the WS than u think. people dont wanna see yanks/phills

Non-fans want to see the big teams make it to the World Series, they want to see a rematch from last season. Maybe people who enjoy watching baseball don't want to see that, but those people will watch regardless of who's playing. It's like politics, you want to convince the people in the middle to come over, you don't need to worry about the people on your side.

tuck25
10-23-2010, 01:15 AM
I love it actually, shows the game is't all about money yet... but close.

Mell413
10-23-2010, 01:39 AM
I don't know if it's terrible for baseball, but I don't think it's good. People want star power and that series would only have 1 star in Hamilton. San Francisco can pitch and play D, but I think the casual fan is into hitting more so. I don't think this series would draw because the casual fan doesn't care about Andres Torres or Nelson Cruz.

2009mvp
10-23-2010, 01:52 AM
^^Yes, let's ignore 2 of the top 5 pitchers in baseball. Just because they don't hit HR's doesn't mean they're not 'stars.'

raidersrock99
10-23-2010, 01:54 AM
nope its definately good for baseball.

raidersrock99
10-23-2010, 01:55 AM
cuz tim lincecum, cliff lee arent stars.

what about buster posey??? every fan knows his name by now

Mell413
10-23-2010, 01:57 AM
^^Yes, let's ignore 2 of the top 5 pitchers in baseball. Just because they don't hit HR's doesn't mean they're not 'stars.'

I'm not saying it wouldn't be entertaining for people like us. Lincecum might only pitch twice in the series. I guess it would depend if those two matchup. If Lincecum or Lee are not pitching I don't see there being a lot of interest amongs casual fans and that's where the money is. I'll watch regardless.

Skizzik
10-23-2010, 01:58 AM
These are both top 10 media markets... And the Giants are one of the older teams around with as much of fan base as the phillies... Bad question.

What this guy said...How is it bad that the number 5 and number 6 media markets in the US might collide in a world series? It's not like a Kansas City (31st among US media markets) versus Cincy (33rd) matchup. These are big areas and naturally, the Rangers have spawned fans out of their *** in this area since making the playoffs and the bandwagon keeps picking up more with every win. Fresh blood can help ratings (which mlb desperately needs right now).

abe_froman
10-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Non-fans want to see the big teams make it to the World Series, they want to see a rematch from last season. Maybe people who enjoy watching baseball don't want to see that, but those people will watch regardless of who's playing. It's like politics, you want to convince the people in the middle to come over, you don't need to worry about the people on your side.

like who? everyone i know who isnt a yank fan(either fan of another team,casual,or non baseball fan),whenever asked or ws is talked about dont want the yanks(and increasingly phils)there.at least in my circle they express disappointment whenever the yanks,boston or other big money team are there

saintdrew
10-23-2010, 02:19 AM
Baseball is a dying sport IMO. The television ratings are low. I mean, NFL preseason games were pulling in more juice for TV ratings over MLB regular season games, that had implications for the playoffs.

Fox was hoping that the Yankees would make it to the World Series, then you get a bigger buck for 30 second spot commercials. However I'm pretty sure companies are paying around $450,000 for 30 sec spots during the World Series, and you can compare that price to top USA TV shows like Glee, American Idol & Dancing with the Stars....

^ Which proves that Major League Baseball can still top the ratings if their story and plot is good --- like Philadelphia vs New York would have been the prototypical matchup. Fox is paying over $200 million a year for rights to baseball, so maybe my statement about it being a 'dying sport' is false, however I do believe that with the Texas Rangers winning, you'll see lower ratings, maybe not as much ad spending, and so on...

I'm not a big baseball guy, I'm huge on NFL, College Football, and the NBA but I would be interested in San Francisco vs Texas just because you have two hot teams facing off against each other, and networks can definitely sell that story-line. But, I guess with Philadelphia potentially winning 3 straight NL pennants you might have something there to sell.

Who knows, but we'll see.

Giraffes Rule
10-23-2010, 02:48 AM

You know what people like to see? Home runs. People who aren't fans of baseball or sports in general don't want to see great pitching performances. It's boring not seeing anyone hit.

One Nut Kruk
10-23-2010, 02:59 AM
You know what people like to see? Home runs. People who aren't fans of baseball or sports in general don't want to see great pitching performances. It's boring not seeing anyone hit.

So let's hope for crappy pitching performances and/or tons of runs just to please people that don't really even care for the game? To hell with them.

MinnesnowtaWild
10-23-2010, 03:07 AM
I love the thought of the Rangers and Giants...GREAT for baseball!

NYKNYGNYY
10-23-2010, 03:07 AM
ehh im still extremely upset but itll be good for baseball top notch hitting vs top notch pitching if giants do make it id root for them just outta spite but congrats to you rangers fans u guys had a great season and do deserve it you outplayed us on every level

Rdy2PlayBall
10-23-2010, 03:10 AM
What's the next bad for baseball thread going to be?

"Are men bad for baseball?" :rolleyes:

Giants-49ers-Ws
10-23-2010, 03:50 AM
First things first..GO GIANTS and lets not jinx us with this world series talks..do your thing tomorrow sanchez..beat philly!!!

now, I find it laughable that people are acting like these are small media markets...here it is: Dallas-Fort Worth..Rangers Country is 5th and the Bay Area is 6th..is everyone really that oblivious?

http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp

yes I would've liked to have seen the giants play the yankees because it would have been an old school battle and there would be nothing sweeter than beating the yankees but giants-rangers should do pretty well in ratings

Go Giants

The Freak, R.O.Y, Kung Fu Panda, B-Weez Brian Wilson...Giants are made for TV

Ron!n
10-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Definitely not bad. It shows that as much fuss as there is about payroll, good run teams can still make it to the World Series on a normal payroll.

Its what baseballs all about. No sport is up to chance more than baseball.

The SF Giant
10-23-2010, 05:14 AM
San Francisco and Dallas are bigger markets than Philly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Combined_Statistical_Areas

bklynny67
10-23-2010, 05:52 AM
both teams have big media markets and great players. is it just me or do some people just think that if NYY, BOS, or PHL are not in the WS, then its bad for baseball?????

thats whats great about sports. the best team during the season doesnt always win the championship.

if that was the case then just put all 30 teams in 1 division and whoever is in first place after 162 games, is declared winner of the World Series!

i mean, what the hell is wrong with u people who think its bad!!!

tcav701
10-23-2010, 06:58 AM
The Rangers were clearly the better team.

Why is that bad the best team in the AL is representing them in the WS?

Young2Kinsler
10-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I forgot the AL bEast was unbeatable and the Rangers only made the playoffs because of their inferior division...

hugepatsfan
10-23-2010, 10:40 AM
like who? everyone i know who isnt a yank fan(either fan of another team,casual,or non baseball fan),whenever asked or ws is talked about dont want the yanks(and increasingly phils)there.at least in my circle they express disappointment whenever the yanks,boston or other big money team are there

What people say and what they actually do can somtimes conflict. Go look at the game thread. All of the Yankee haters were practically giddy when Texas won. Not even Texas fans either. People watch to see the Yanks, Phils, Red Sox, etc. lose.

And people need to stop comparing the WS to the SB. The SB is a national event - it is just one day of the year. That's why the NBA, MLB, and NHL need to worry about who makes their championship series but the NFL doesn't. The SB is such a part of our culture that it doesn't matter who plays. People are going to have SB parties and watch regardless.

With all that being said, I think TEX-SF would be a fine matchup. Neither is a small market and there are some interesting stories that the media will blow up to ridiculous levels to build some hype.

hugepatsfan
10-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I forgot the AL bEast was unbeatable and the Rangers only made the playoffs because of their inferior division...

TEX got hot at the right time. They fought through some injuries and rough patches during the season. But then it all came together at the right time for them. But yes, in the regular season, they were clrearly the 4th best of the AL playoff teams.

TO Rapz
10-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Jays fan. You dont even understand how excited I am for a Giants Rangers world series. For true fans who truly watch the game, this is going to be one hell of a series. Both teams play baseball the right way, and have built their teams the right way. Lincecum vs lee is just incredible too. Im really excited!!

ATL#22
10-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't think so. I didn't watch a single inning of the Yankees Phillies World Series because i couldn't find myself rooting for either team. This year i'll actually have someone to go for.

ATL#22
10-23-2010, 11:24 AM
TEX got hot at the right time. They fought through some injuries and rough patches during the season. But then it all came together at the right time for them. But yes, in the regular season, they were clrearly the 4th best of the AL playoff teams.

MMmm no.. Once they got Cliff Lee they were better then the Yankees. The Yankees SP was pretty bad there at the end.

hugepatsfan
10-23-2010, 11:51 AM
MMmm no.. Once they got Cliff Lee they were better then the Yankees. The Yankees SP was pretty bad there at the end.

Lee got hurt and really struggled when he first got to TEX (his ERA in TEX this year was over 5 if I;m not mistaken). And then when Lee came back Hamilton got hurt. And Cruz had some hammy issues this year. Kinsler missed a lot of time. TEX was lucky they played in a weak division this year because it allowed them to make it through there issues. Then by the postseason all their guys were semi-healthy, guys started to hit, and now they're going to the WS.

stupidmop
10-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I dont think it would necessarily be bad for revenue guys. I think a lot of people here are giving the Giants fan base, for example no credit. They aren't BIG market like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phils, but they have a steady following. It's not like we are the A's or the Royals . . . Giants have definitely a higher than average following.

stupidmop
10-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Sorry to double post, but I also would like to point out that it is ridiculous that we are even having this conversation. What it really proves is that those behind the business of baseball have failed to make a product that appeals to everyone. The NFL, the best run American sports league IMO, doesn't care that much who gets into the Superbowl. They know that in order for the league to be highly successful, every team and their fans need to be considered important. Green Bay was a quasi-dynasty during the 1990s. They have one of the smallest fan bases. But the NFL realized that was good for business because it got other fan bases charged for when it will be their time to shine.

Having less the huge revenue fan bases get their time to shine is only good for baseball. I consider myself a huge baseball fan, but I probably wouldn't watch the World Series this year if it was a repeat of Philly and NY. It's not a knock on their teams or their fans, but I just don't want to see the same thing year in, year out. I would, however, watch any other matchup between the the eight playoff teams this year.

VRP723
10-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Sorry to double post, but I also would like to point out that it is ridiculous that we are even having this conversation. What it really proves is that those behind the business of baseball have failed to make a product that appeals to everyone. The NFL, the best run American sports league IMO, doesn't care that much who gets into the Superbowl. They know that in order for the league to be highly successful, every team and their fans need to be considered important. Green Bay was a quasi-dynasty during the 1990s. They have one of the smallest fan bases. But the NFL realized that was good for business because it got other fan bases charged for when it will be their time to shine.

Having less the huge revenue fan bases get their time to shine is only good for baseball. I consider myself a huge baseball fan, but I probably wouldn't watch the World Series this year if it was a repeat of Philly and NY. It's not a knock on their teams or their fans, but I just don't want to see the same thing year in, year out. I would, however, watch any other matchup between the the eight playoff teams this year.

In all fairness, the NFL's largest fan base is not that of any team, it's gamblers, who aren't affected by who's playing in the games.

drizzydrake
10-23-2010, 12:29 PM
That's sad, josh hamilton is a great story, vlad is a great story and i love him too. Lee vs Lincecum possibly 3 times, that's enough for me. Even the Giants are a good story without bonds and all.

sexicano31
10-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Maybe if it was Twins/Padres or Twins/Giants it would

theslick1
10-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Baseball is a dying sport IMO. The television ratings are low. I mean, NFL preseason games were pulling in more juice for TV ratings over MLB regular season games, that had implications for the playoffs.

Fox was hoping that the Yankees would make it to the World Series, then you get a bigger buck for 30 second spot commercials. However I'm pretty sure companies are paying around $450,000 for 30 sec spots during the World Series, and you can compare that price to top USA TV shows like Glee, American Idol & Dancing with the Stars....

^ Which proves that Major League Baseball can still top the ratings if their story and plot is good --- like Philadelphia vs New York would have been the prototypical matchup. Fox is paying over $200 million a year for rights to baseball, so maybe my statement about it being a 'dying sport' is false, however I do believe that with the Texas Rangers winning, you'll see lower ratings, maybe not as much ad spending, and so on...

I'm not a big baseball guy, I'm huge on NFL, College Football, and the NBA but I would be interested in San Francisco vs Texas just because you have two hot teams facing off against each other, and networks can definitely sell that story-line. But, I guess with Philadelphia potentially winning 3 straight NL pennants you might have something there to sell.

Who knows, but we'll see.

Baseball is not dying. Revenues are anticipated to reach 7 billion dollars this year, which is an all time high. Not as big as football, but much bigger than the NBA or NHL.

nystandup
10-23-2010, 01:35 PM
i would love to see that match up. Both teams seem to have what it takes to go all the way with the clutch hitting and pitching.

northsider
10-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Lee got hurt and really struggled when he first got to TEX (his ERA in TEX this year was over 5 if I;m not mistaken). And then when Lee came back Hamilton got hurt. And Cruz had some hammy issues this year. Kinsler missed a lot of time. TEX was lucky they played in a weak division this year because it allowed them to make it through there issues. Then by the postseason all their guys were semi-healthy, guys started to hit, and now they're going to the WS.

Just cause I am that guy...It wasn't over 5 it was 3.98.

hype707
10-23-2010, 01:44 PM
i DONT CARE WHATS GOOD FOR BASEBALL OR RATINGS I WANT MY TEAM IN THE WORLD SERIES AND I WANT THEM TO WIN IT. **** THE MEDIA PRETTY MUCH

CAIN=FUTURE
10-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't think the Ratings would be bad at all. California, and Texas are big places if you didn't know.

hugepatsfan
10-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Just cause I am that guy...It wasn't over 5 it was 3.98.

Yeah. WITH Texas. I meant his ERA IN Texas.

Lou Holtz Lisp
10-23-2010, 02:02 PM
None of us work for fox.. Who cares if its bad for baseball? It's a good matchup!

el_primo_nano
10-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Great for Baseball, horrible for ratings.. This proves that buying the best free agents in the market doesn't guarantee a win. Proves that the Yankees dont have a unfair advantage, because in the end its winning the baseball game, not the bank account numbers

ExPitcher
10-23-2010, 03:31 PM
"Bad for baseball" would be having no competitions. There is no entitlement for any team regardless of what the biased mainstream media repeatedly insists. Let's imagine for a moment if MLB was reduced just the 3 or 4 generic most famous casual poser fan teams. That would get old real fast.

The same old, same old, is just old. Like reading yesterday's newspaper.

northsider
10-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Oh in that case it was 3.08.

ATL#22
10-23-2010, 03:33 PM

? Why exclude half his starts? And Yankee SP (excluding CC) had a 5.91 era after the all-star break. Texas was and is better

ATL#22
10-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh in that case it was 3.08.

lol. idk what this East homer is trying to prove by throwing out BS stats

Gigantes4Life
? Why exclude half his starts? And Yankee SP (excluding CC) had a 5.91 era after the all-star break. Texas was and is better

Cherry picking stats is fun!

northsider
I am pretty pumped if it is Rangers Giants it's cool to see teams that will get to embrace a WS that never have. I have seen Yankee fans and there team celebrate it and it starts to become like they just won a 2$ scratcher ticket(just kidding but, thought it was funny).

northsider
10-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Cherry picking stats is fun!

I mean come on how else can you prove invalid statements.

Gigantes4Life
10-23-2010, 03:37 PM
I am pretty pumped if it is Rangers Giants it's cool to see teams that will get to embrace a WS that never have. I have seen Yankee fans and there team celebrate it and it starts to become like they just won a 2$ scratcher ticket(just kidding but, thought it was funny).

Last year's WS celebration might have been the worst of all-time.

northsider
10-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Last year's WS celebration might have been the worst of all-time.

I guess it is the child part of me that I am not taking anything away from the Yankees cause I grew up with the 90's Bulls but, I feel like the innocent part of the game can get lost. If the Rangers or Giants win it you get to see that feeling again at least for me.

DodgerB24
10-23-2010, 04:40 PM
No, of course not. The Giants in any WS isn't good for baseball. Duh.

Pinstripe pride
10-23-2010, 04:45 PM
for reall baseball fans, no its not bad. for people wanting to make money of commercials and advertising, yes its bad

ExPitcher
10-23-2010, 04:50 PM
for people wanting to make money of commercials and advertising, yes its bad
Awwww, those sad downtrodden ultra-rich mega-corporations! Cry my a flipping river. :cry: :p

for reall baseball fans, no its not bad.
^^^

Cheezombie
10-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Once something is west of the Mississippi it's all of the sudden "bad"

jscotty8
10-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I dont think it would necessarily be bad for revenue guys. I think a lot of people here are giving the Giants fan base, for example no credit. They aren't BIG market like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phils, but they have a steady following. It's not like we are the A's or the Royals . . . Giants have definitely a higher than average following.

The giants are a bigger market team than the phillies. :facepalm:

Pedroia
10-23-2010, 05:55 PM
There is no way it's bad for baseball. It may be one of the lower rated WS matchups but it's great for the fans of the Giants and Rangers. To me it's more interesting than the Phillies and Yankees again. I'll watch a little.

Mike Oxlong
10-23-2010, 06:04 PM
What a stupid idea for a thread...No, it's not bad, it's good.

bklynny67
10-23-2010, 07:09 PM
for reall baseball fans, no its not bad. for people wanting to make money of commercials and advertising, yes its bad

its not bad in any way. some of u people think if its not the Yanks, Red Sox, and Phillies in the WS, it HAS to be bad for baseball. these are still 2 big media markets and the majority of the country is gonna want Rangers/Giants WS. people dont wanna see the same teams again.

seriously... if the NYY, BOS, or PHL are not in it, why is it automatically bad for baseball? its still 2 great teams and star players on them. its great for baseball.

sf-fanatic
10-23-2010, 07:26 PM
espn will be butthurt there will be no east coast team in the WS if it ends up being giants and rangers.

Burkey3472
10-23-2010, 07:28 PM
If we are talking about ratings it would be bad because both of these teams don't have the sex appeal to draw in casual fans. As far as getting new blood into the spotlight then yes it would be good for baseball.

TheHoopsProphet
10-23-2010, 07:30 PM
EAST COAST BIAS.

great pitching, great offense. This is what baseball needs.

Mike Oxlong
10-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I honestly wouldn't be opposed to a East vs West Cival war. I wish there were serious fault lines along that coast. I would like to see New York in an earthquake and their residents die.

t327
10-23-2010, 08:20 PM
No, of course not. The Giants in any WS isn't good for baseball. Duh.

:clap:

How were the ratings for Angels/Giants a few years back? One mega market and a good market squaring off? Rangers/Giants should be pretty good.

utl768
10-24-2010, 12:11 AM
in terms of parity hell no

but in terms of ratings this ws will get the lowest ws television ratings in history

Gigantes4Life
10-24-2010, 12:12 AM
in terms of parity hell no

but in terms of ratings this will ws will get the lowest television ratings in history

Yes, two large markets will get the worse ratings in history.

This will probably get better ratings than Philly/Tampa.

Canterbury
10-24-2010, 12:21 AM
*ala Monty Burns*

Excellent

iggypop123
10-24-2010, 12:22 AM
a better title would have been is this good for MLB?

utl768
10-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Yes, two large markets will get the worse ratings in history.

This will probably get better ratings than Philly/Tampa.

a good nfl week combinded with nba's opening week and the lack of interest in baseball worldwide right now basically guarentees this will bomb in the ratings

a ******** monday night football game beat a marquee alcs game in the ratings by millions of viewers

fact is most people dont care about baseball anymore

Gigantes4Life
10-24-2010, 12:25 AM
a good nfl week combinded with nba's opening week and the lack of interest in baseball worldwide right now basically guarentees this will bomb in the ratings

a ******** monday night football game beat a marquee alcs game in the ratings by millions of viewers

fact is most people dont care about baseball anymore

But people care about the NBA? :laugh2:

utl768
10-24-2010, 12:31 AM

not alot but they care about it more then baseball

the nba finals ratings last year are double what baseball averages usually for the world series lately

boomheadshot45
10-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Yeah a lot of people do actually. I wanted a Giants vs. Rangers series but I'm just befuddled with such a stupid response like yours.

Mike Oxlong
10-24-2010, 12:39 AM
The NBA is worthless. 8 teams in 30 years...come on. How is that even entertaining?

Gigantes4Life
10-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Yeah a lot of people do actually. I wanted a Giants vs. Rangers series but I'm just befuddled with such a stupid response like yours.

The NBA's revenue output is embarrassing compared to the NFL and MLB. For having an 18 month playoff system you'd think they could make more money.

The NBA is a joke.

Mopped_you
10-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Comparing the NBA to MLB is laughable. I watch and am a fan of the NBA, but that it's a true disgrace to sports with how it's run and all the rigging they do. Get real.

goldenstater
10-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Its bad for fox and the ratings but not bad at all baseball. But personally who gives a **** abouut the ratings and the media I think they are bad for sports. I hope its the worst ratings ever!

kmo429
10-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Is this a serious question? They represent the 2 biggest states in the country. True baseball fans will watch it anyway because it's the world series. The non and casual fans will watch it because they've heard of Josh hamilton or Ron Wshington or the whole "1st time in the World Series thing". The Ginats are also a very very historic team, and once again, not to mention a majority of the populations of the 2 biggest states would eb watching this.

And really? Don't you think the Yankees in the world series is the worst thing we could see? No one, besides Yankees fans, wants to see them in the World Series. NO ONE. It's BORING. And then add the Phillies, so it would be a rematch? Put me to sleep faster than wake me up when it's over please.

No, this world series was the best possible scenario for baseball.

BigBlueCrew
10-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Oct 31st should be real interesting. NBA in the afternoon. NFL in the afternoon. NFL on Sunday night. and World Series in the night. What will you watch??

boomheadshot45
10-24-2010, 12:56 PM
The NBA's revenue output is embarrassing compared to the NFL and MLB. For having an 18 month playoff system you'd think they could make more money.

The NBA is a joke.
But people do care about the NBA. You said people don't. Obviously people do. I wasn't commenting on the financial positions of the sports.

quade36
10-24-2010, 11:17 PM
This is absolutely the best thing for baseball. Forget about Fox. Who cares. So many great stories here. From it being Texas' first world series, Giants not ever winning since they moved to San Francisco, the Lincecum-Lee matchup, the Josh Hamilton story, to all the unknown players impacting the playoffs.

nithanyo
10-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Im glad to see mid payroll teams in the playoffs. Its really good for baseball cus small market teams feel like they matter

theslick1
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
I think it's pretty exciting to see two teams like this, one that has never been in a WS and the other that hasn't won one during my lifetime. I've already decided to be a Giants fan for a week.

ATL#22
10-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Can we stop talking about the NBA? :sleep:

bootleg42
10-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Is this a serious question? They represent the 2 biggest states in the country. True baseball fans will watch it anyway because it's the world series. The non and casual fans will watch it because they've heard of Josh hamilton or Ron Wshington or the whole "1st time in the World Series thing". The Ginats are also a very very historic team, and once again, not to mention a majority of the populations of the 2 biggest states would eb watching this.

Thank you!!!! This World Series will be great for baseball.

And in my opinion, the WORST World Series we had this decade was the Cardinals vs Tigers in 2006. I never watched one game and no one I knew (real and casual baseball fans) really talked about it. That was a bore-fest.

SouthSideRookie
10-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Can we stop talking about the NBA? :sleep:

:clap: As to the topic, it's not good for Fox but who cares. I'll be watching and hopefully it will be a good series. Rangers in 6.

iggypop123
10-25-2010, 01:48 AM
would have been interesting if the game was on tuesday. i happen to think the nba would have not necesarily destroyed the WS but beaten them in ratings thanks to Leheat.

Giants-49ers-Ws
10-25-2010, 02:21 AM
who cares about ratings..these are two huge markets

GO GIANTS

nestorm15
10-25-2010, 06:42 AM
The ratings shouldn't be any different from any other year, right. All the people who cry for salary cap and small market teams finally making the WS. They should all be watching. That should make the ratings even higher, unless they are hypocrites. Wouldn't you think.

koreancabbage
10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
good for baseball, terrible for tv ratings.

benzni
10-25-2010, 01:43 PM
im a yankees fan so I wish my team won but to be honest I am excited about the two teams playing in the ws. I would rather watch the rangers vs giants over the phillies going for a third time anyday.

obcha22
10-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Its great for baseball. One team that has never won and one that hasn't won in around 50 years. I'm a big Yankee fan but this outcome doesn't bother me. I'm excited to see who wins.

dasam12
10-25-2010, 02:58 PM
I am definitely gonna watch now that it is SF & TEX.
I probably would not have as much if it was NYY/PHI again.
I like to see long time stars like Vlad in there as well as Lincecum & Lee.
Plus up and coming stars like Posey Feliz & Andrus.

I have seen enough of Utley & Jeter in October to last a lifetime

Brew Crew
10-25-2010, 03:13 PM
The only people it's "bad" for is those who are money hungry. I'm very happy to see the match-up...Thank god I don't have to continue seeing 20 minute highlights for Yankee games.

This is why baseball playoffs are still better then basketball playoffs. Unscripted and teams that aren't expected to win, win.

ricomactaco
10-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I"m looking forward to seeing 2 unexpected teams battle in the series. Won't miss a game despite the late starts for me on the east coast.