PDA

View Full Version : Stern: Committed to small markets, I am

asandhu23
10-22-2010, 04:53 PM
David Stern, commissioner of the National Basketball Association, said Friday that the league is committed to small-market teams such as Milwaukee, and added that he hoped a new collective bargaining agreement with the players would result in more “robust revenue sharing.”

In a teleconference with reporters in advance of the start of the season, Stern also raised the issue of contraction in the league.

“It’s a sensitive subject for me,” Stern said, adding that he has been in the league for 27 years. “We are working hard to maintain all of our teams and add a few.”

But, he said, any talk of contraction has to be discussed in the context of contract negotiations with the players’ association and whether there are markets that “cannot make it in the current environment.”

"I would say we're committed to small-market teams," Stern said.

Stern did not single out any franchises. As for the Milwaukee Bucks, Stern said the team had been with the league for a long time.

“I know there are efforts to see how additional revenues can be generated by the building,” he said of the Bradley Center. He added that U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl, the owner of the Bucks, was committed to keeping the team in Milwaukee.

Revenue sharing is of critical importance to the Bucks. Kohl has lobbied in recent years for a better revenue-sharing system so that the Bucks can compete better with larger markets. He has never discussed finances in detail, but has said for years that he loses money.

Stern said the issue of a new revenue-sharing model was being discussed internally and with the players’ association.

One possibility, he said, would be a revenue-sharing model that establishes performance standards in terms of sales and sponsorships, and profitability.

The team does not pay rent at the Bradley Center, and keeps a negotiated share of revenue from each game. The team has a lease with the Bradley Center on a year-to-year basis.

This season, the Bradley Center has a new and larger scoreboard. The new board was designed to maximize sponsorship opportunities.

The current collective bargaining agreement with the players ends after this season.

Stern said Thursday that the league is expected to lose $340 to $350 million this season. He said league negotiators had proposed cutting $750 to $800 million out of the current $2.3 billion in player salary expenses.

Asked if the word “contraction” was chilling to such small markets like Memphis, Stern said, “It’s a good word to use in collective bargaining.”

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105555178.html

right.......... :rolleyes:

SteveNash
10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
He is for small markets, that's why he helped steal the Sonics and send them to hicksville.

Bruno
10-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Only seven different franchises have won titles during Sterns 27 year tenure as NBA commissioner.

C-ross12
10-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Only seven different franchises have won titles during Sterns 27 year tenure as NBA commissioner.

By the looks of it it may stay that way until his 40th year. "Lets put 3 franchise players on 1 team." What a dumb idea.

Mudvayne91
10-22-2010, 05:30 PM
I firmly believe the Nugs will never win a championship with Stern in charge. Call me paranoid, but I've seen way too many BS calls called against them, especially in the playoffs(2 years ago in the finals comes to mind). Really is rather depressing cause I do love basketball.

avrpatsfan
10-22-2010, 05:37 PM
By the looks of it it may stay that way until his 40th year. "Lets put 3 franchise players on 1 team." What a dumb idea.

That wasn't his idea but the NBA is easily the least competitive league in the USA. Baseball fans want a cap, but it hasn't done **** for the NBA.

commonsense12
10-22-2010, 05:40 PM
That wasn't his idea but the NBA is easily the least competitive league in the USA. Baseball fans want a cap, but it hasn't done **** for the NBA.

There cap is a joke and isnt even really a cap. Any cap that allows you to sign a player a year (MLE) for good money and as many min salaries as possible, should not be called a cap. It still allows big market teams to way out spend small market teams.

Hellcrooner
10-22-2010, 05:41 PM
yeah we saw how much you cared for them when you didnt raise an investigagion for possible concussion or tampering on the "supremes" reunion tour of south beach.

Hellcrooner
10-22-2010, 05:48 PM
funny fact.

baseball has no cap.

nba champions since 1980

Lakers 1'0
Bulls 6
Spurs 4
Celtics 4
Pistons, Rockets: 2
Heat ,Sixers 1

Thats 7 teams.

Mlb :

Yankees , Philies,W sox , St Louis, Marlins, OAnahemin, Arizona, Oakland, LA, Sotta, mets, KC, Dtorit, Baltimore, Atlanta, Toronto and minessotta.

thats 17 different teams, with the alpowerfull all buying almighti ecomonics yankees wining the whoopting total of 5 wichis HALF of what the lakers ha ve won

Mudvayne91
10-22-2010, 05:52 PM

NBA officials can significantly effect/control games with their calls and they're a lot harder to dispute. Umps can to a certain extent, but not like the NBA.

godolphins
10-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Sure he does :laugh2:

xabial
10-22-2010, 06:04 PM
funny fact.

baseball has no cap.

nba champions since 1980

Lakers 1'0
Bulls 6
Spurs 4
Celtics 4
Heat ,Sixers 1

Thats 7 teams.

Mlb :

Yankees , Philies,W sox , St Louis, Marlins, OAnahemin, Arizona, Oakland, LA, Sotta, mets, KC, Dtorit, Baltimore, Atlanta, Toronto and minessotta.

thats 17 different teams, with the alpowerfull all buying almighti ecomonics yankees wining the whoopting total of 5 wichis HALF of what the lakers ha ve won

That's Threadworthy

xabial
10-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Who knows what happens in the next CBA...

kArSoN RyDaH
10-22-2010, 06:09 PM
funny fact.

baseball has no cap.

nba champions since 1980

Lakers 1'0
Bulls 6
Spurs 4
Celtics 4
Heat ,Sixers 1

Thats 7 teams.

Mlb :

you forgot BOSTON red sox. so that would 18 but then since you mentioned SOTTA (minnesota?) and minnesota thats two minnesotas im guessing so its still17

Da Knicks
10-22-2010, 06:16 PM
funny fact.

baseball has no cap.

nba champions since 1980

Lakers 1'0
Bulls 6
Spurs 4
Celtics 4
Heat ,Sixers 1

Thats 7 teams.

Mlb :

this :( what most fans are tired of the same freaking teams in the finals again and again....

abe_froman
10-22-2010, 06:22 PM
yes because having shaq,kobe,timmy,mj,ect. isnt going to greatly improve a teams chances of winning titles? :rolleyes:

basketball is more of a players game.its how the game is played.you cant,so you cant compare it to baseball as pujols or arod no matter how good they are,how good they're doing that game.they only get to bat 4-5 times a game(on average).while kobe/lebron ect. can take every shot for a team the entire game.you cant even something like that out

its just fundamentally different sports and so cant be compared to gleam any info to apply to one another.

HoopsDrive
10-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Only 4 teams from each conference in MLB and the first round it's just a 5-game series. The NFL is just a 1 game playoff which means that the chances that an upset happens is much more likely.

The NBA is a 8-team conference playoff with 4 rounds to the championship and all of them are 7-game series. This format allows the cream of the crop to rise to the top. I would have it no other way, why would I want to see anything but the best team from each conference face off in the final?

Plus, basketball only involves 5 players on the playing field at the same time with individual player skills having much more impact on the outcome of games than the other 2 sports.

NYKalltheway
10-22-2010, 06:32 PM
and you can compare the same sport even in Europe where there's no salary cap. (comparing the Euroleague of course, not domestic leagues as that's way different)

It all seems to be part of a well thought of plan.

NYKalltheway
10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
and as for basketball being about individuals... it's all crap. That's how it has become in this decade. It never used to be a one man show. Only Wilt managed that, we could argue that about Bill Russell as well. Not even Jordan's time was a one man show, even if you want to think it was

DerekRE_3
10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
He is for small markets, that's why he helped steal the Sonics and send them to hicksville.

Yeah he did that solely because he wanted another small market team. It had nothing to do with him being buddy buddy with owner Clay Bennett

abe_froman
10-22-2010, 06:38 PM
and as for basketball being about individuals... it's all crap. That's how it has become in this decade. It never used to be a one man show. Only Wilt managed that, we could argue that about Bill Russell as well. Not even Jordan's time was a one man show, even if you want to think it was

really?much not have not studied up on wilt as yeah it kind of was,especially on the warriors(averaging 35-40 fga alone,to compare i'll take a high volume scorer like kobe who i assume your *****ing about who never had over 30 once).and the whole offense was run through jordan,he gets to take every shot he wanted.

Giants99
10-22-2010, 06:46 PM
this :( what most fans are tired of the same freaking teams in the finals again and again....

its just the Nba. very prone to dynasty's because 1-2 players completely make a team. in baseball/football you need to be complete to make the playoffs.

NYKalltheway
10-22-2010, 06:51 PM
If basketball is an individual sport, then you can say the same about ice hockey and soccer... Which is not a correct statement. Basketball is the definition of team sports. Yet the NBA is giving the wrong impressions for the past 10 years.
Star system has become flawed. There used to be stars dominating games but you had players like Steve Kerr and Toni Kukoc who got fewer minutes having important roles as well as players like Scottie Pippen, Ron Harper and Dennis Rodman.

Yes, Jordan created individualism in the NBA... :rolleyes:

It just sells more when there's a lead figure.

Now you got Kevin Durant. Who cares about the rest of the Thunder? It's him who "sells".
Dwight Howard at the Magic. There's also Vince Carter who used to be in his shoes... Who remembers that when talking about D12?

When people talked of Jordan back in the day, it was Jordan, Pippen, Rodman. It rarely was just Jordan. This will be the case with Wade and Lebron. If they win 3-4 championships in a row, one of them will be more glorified than the other. 15 years from now it will be Wade's or Lebron's Heat. Probably Lebron's since a) he'll get more hype b) Wade was already there and it took Lebron to start winning consecutive championships (just assuming here)

Basketball is a team sport, don't fool yourselves

commonsense12
10-22-2010, 06:57 PM
funny fact.

baseball has no cap.

nba champions since 1980

Lakers 1'0
Bulls 6
Spurs 4
Celtics 4
Heat ,Sixers 1

Thats 7 teams.

Mlb :

MLB is about as capped as the NBA lol. How many NBA teams are actually under the cap? Last year i think it was 9 teams that were under the cap (prob because of Lebron sweepstakes). The year before i think it was 4 teams. That is not a cap.

BTW money only really became a problem in the MLB after the strike. From that point on the gap has widened further and further. So comparing championships from the 1980s is not fair. NBA is def unbalanced but so is baseball.

The best example is Hockey which since the salary cap went into affect a different team has won the cup every year. Football is also an example because before the cap the Cowboys, 49ers, Giants and Skins won like 10 superbowls in a row. After the cap 8 teams won the next 10 Superbowls. Caps work but they need to be hard caps or they have to prevent top spending teams from spending big money on FA. NBA with the MLE doesnt do this.
Stern knows this, but has a pipe dream of the players just making less and the big market teams still in the finals every year. He wants small market teams to lose but still make money. Not going to happen.

effen5
10-22-2010, 07:03 PM

omg thisssss

Look at the NFL this year....seriously who is the clear cut favorite?

Steelers maybe? Patriots? Saints? Colts? Packers? Thats why I love the NFL this year, anybody can win.

Same with baseball, sure the Yankees have the highest payroll but it doesn't mean they will always win.....I mean look how many of the lower payroll teams make the playoffs and actually compete such as the rays and rangers

Basketball has the most stacked teams out of all the sports imo which made the NBA very dull.

HoopsDrive
10-22-2010, 07:03 PM
If basketball is an individual sport, then you can say the same about ice hockey and soccer... Which is not a correct statement. Basketball is the definition of team sports. Yet the NBA is giving the wrong impressions for the past 10 years.
Star system has become flawed. There used to be stars dominating games but you had players like Steve Kerr and Toni Kukoc who got fewer minutes having important roles as well as players like Scottie Pippen, Ron Harper and Dennis Rodman.

Yes, Jordan created individualism in the NBA... :rolleyes:

It just sells more when there's a lead figure.

Now you got Kevin Durant. Who cares about the rest of the Thunder? It's him who "sells".
Dwight Howard at the Magic. There's also Vince Carter who used to be in his shoes... Who remembers that when talking about D12?

When people talked of Jordan back in the day, it was Jordan, Pippen, Rodman. It rarely was just Jordan. This will be the case with Wade and Lebron. If they win 3-4 championships in a row, one of them will be more glorified than the other. 15 years from now it will be Wade's or Lebron's Heat. Probably Lebron's since a) he'll get more hype b) Wade was already there and it took Lebron to start winning consecutive championships (just assuming here)

Basketball is a team sport, don't fool yourselves

It is, but at the same time, individual presence has much more of an impact in basketball than in other sports because the number of players is much lower. You need 2-3 high quality players and you can build something special from there. This is magnified by the fact that the NBA playoff format uses 4, 7-game series to crown a champion which decreases the chances of an underdog pulling off the upset.

HowBoutDemBulls
10-22-2010, 07:09 PM
David Stern is a turd. The day that he steps down as Commish will be the best day in the history of the NBA.

Chronz
10-22-2010, 07:13 PM
NBA officials can significantly effect/control games with their calls and they're a lot harder to dispute. Umps can to a certain extent, but not like the NBA.

BS

Refs dont decide games

David Stern is a turd. The day that he steps down as Commish will be the best day in the history of the NBA.

Based on...?

Chronz
10-22-2010, 07:15 PM
omg thisssss

Look at the NFL this year....seriously who is the clear cut favorite?

Steelers maybe? Patriots? Saints? Colts? Packers? Thats why I love the NFL this year, anybody can win.

Same with baseball, sure the Yankees have the highest payroll but it doesn't mean they will always win.....I mean look how many of the lower payroll teams make the playoffs and actually compete such as the rays and rangers

Basketball has the most stacked teams out of all the sports imo which made the NBA very dull.
Make the NBA reg season 15 games long and the playoffs 1 game elimination and youll see the same thing, this wont make the league more exciting it will make it less credible.

Korman12
10-22-2010, 07:29 PM
MLB is about as capped as the NBA lol. How many NBA teams are actually under the cap? Last year i think it was 9 teams that were under the cap (prob because of Lebron sweepstakes). The year before i think it was 4 teams. That is not a cap.

BTW money only really became a problem in the MLB after the strike. From that point on the gap has widened further and further. So comparing championships from the 1980s is not fair. NBA is def unbalanced but so is baseball.

The best example is Hockey which since the salary cap went into affect a different team has won the cup every year. Football is also an example because before the cap the Cowboys, 49ers, Giants and Skins won like 10 superbowls in a row. After the cap 8 teams won the next 10 Superbowls. Caps work but they need to be hard caps or they have to prevent top spending teams from spending big money on FA. NBA with the MLE doesnt do this.
Stern knows this, but has a pipe dream of the players just making less and the big market teams still in the finals every year. He wants small market teams to lose but still make money. Not going to happen.

Excellent points.

PHX2daDEATH
10-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I wish Stern would step down , anybody else is better then Stern..While yes I am for eliminating some teams that are just there to make money and not be competitive, that doesn't mean he still wont turn around and put an NBA team over-seas, because that will create a big cash cow. ive said it before the talent pool is spread too thin over 30 teams. Certainly the teams Im thinking off that are in small markets who havent any success are Memphis, Minnesota, Indiana (lately), then you have a big Market team like Atlanta who cant sell out a game and has been pretty good the last few years.. think about Stern's expansion team.. of the seven (Orlando, Bobcats, Hornets, Heat, Grizzlies, Heat, Raptors) only 1 has won a title, and another has made it to the finals..the heat and the magic..the two florida teams.. The hornets were good in Charlotte but other then that..the other teams are just there taking up space..

Raps18-19 Champ
10-22-2010, 08:36 PM
The man is pushing for a hard cap. Which basically brings the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics and other big market teams to pretty much the same level as eveyone else.

But it's his fault the big market teams are winning? I'm guessing Stern told Shaq to sign with the Lakers and it was Sterns doing of Kobe's talent so the Lakers would be great again. He probably told the Sonics and Wolves to trade Garnett and Allen to the Celtics. Because I am sure it has nothing to do with the players wanteing to leave small cities for the big market. :rolleyes:

Chronz
10-22-2010, 09:04 PM

According to what study? If you go by ratings they sure as hell arent.

jeter 2
10-22-2010, 10:03 PM
David Stern loves small market teams but he is open to contraction.

CB29
10-22-2010, 10:09 PM
i used to be a fan of stern but really since the dress code initiative i've come to dislike him more... if he even thinks of cutting the raps, he will face some serious *****

blacknell
10-22-2010, 10:34 PM
personally i believe the NBA is rigged because the two teams they say will be in the finals before the season starts are always in the finals.. SO we can expect the Heat vs Lakers in the finals this season because thats what will make them the most money.. The league is losing so much money because the games seem fixed and there just aren't players out there like MJ, magic,larry.kemp, payton, barkley,drexler, i can go on and NBA has seen a real drop in talent from 1990 till now instead of getting better.. And as long as stern is in teams are gonna pile up 3-4 superstars on one team and run the league and small market teams will be left in the dust... NBA stands for National Bullshid Association

jeter 2
10-22-2010, 10:36 PM
They should just cut out teams that do not make money. There is an answer to your solution. If they do not make money, get rid of them or move them! Therefore you do not have to reduce someone's salary by 1/3. Also, it reduces bad contracts.

Hangtime
10-22-2010, 11:15 PM
If Stern is in favor of helping these big markets then why have they sat idly by for years allowing the Knicks to suffer? Are they not one of the biggest markets in the league? Meanwhile the Spurs make the finals and ratings plummet. LA has always been a magnet for superstars since the days of Wilt. There is never really any surprise teams to win the NBA finals. Realistically there are only a few teams that are in contention for the title now. Basically the same ones last year with the addition of Miami.

Wade>You
10-22-2010, 11:41 PM
LoL @ the people crying about Miami and not acknowledging that THEY ARE A SMALL MARKET CITY!

Some people....

On topic, people need to quit blaming external factors and start blaming their garbage GMs for their failures.

Rafer17
10-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Stern is the biggest posh and fraud ever....he sucks

asandhu23
10-23-2010, 12:04 AM
LoL @ the people crying about Miami and not acknowledging that THEY ARE A SMALL MARKET CITY!

Some people....

On topic, people need to quit blaming external factors and start blaming their garbage GMs for their failures.

DUDE. its ****ing Miami. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS WHAT MIAMI IS. its not a small market

Wade>You
10-23-2010, 12:11 AM
DUDE. its ****ing Miami. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS WHAT MIAMI IS. its not a small market^ Does not know what defines a big/small city market.

Nice try, epic fail nonetheless.

Hangtime
10-23-2010, 12:25 AM
^ Does not know what defines a big/small city market.

Nice try, epic fail nonetheless.

LOL. Lots of people actually don't know. But yeah your right.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-23-2010, 12:28 AM
DUDE. its ****ing Miami. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS WHAT MIAMI IS. its not a small market

The fact that Miami is well known doesn't make it a big market. Toronto is one of the best cities in the world but it is in the lower mid section out of 30 in terms of being a big maket.

It isn't a small market as the guy makes it out to be though. Miami in the upper mid region(11-15) out of the 30 teams in the league.

THE GIPPER
10-23-2010, 01:38 AM
the nba should aim to make their league more like the nhl. yes, the nhl...every single year ANY team in the league has atleast a chance to win the stanley cup (small markets too) and its very rare for a team to repeat as champs in the nhl nowadays. not to mention the players dont run the league like they do in the nba...you wont see sidney crosby calling up alexander ovechkin and jonathan toews and asking them to all join up and make a super team in hope of an easy championship

Jaji
10-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Did he really say it like Yoda?

NateyB24
10-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Ive never liked Stern since him and Clay Bennet got rid of the Sonics so its great to see his product flounder no offense i hope the NBA stays afloat but i hope Stern falls flat on his face.

C-ross12
10-23-2010, 04:34 AM

Yea true. But Stern should have done everything in his power to prevent it. Its terrible for the league. Basketball should already be contracted due to the lack of talent. It only gets worst when 3 franchise, ticket selling guys all go to one place. Basketball clearly isn't a model business anyways.

Kefman2110
10-23-2010, 05:29 AM
my *** he is commited to small markets. Thats why the Bucks and Grizzlies who are good up and coming teams are never on live t.v.

Hangtime
10-23-2010, 01:16 PM
The Grizz are on annually every year on MLK day.