PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Red Sox pitching coach Farrel officially hired as Jays manager

nstojic
09-07-2010, 07:09 AM
since it will become a bigger topic once the season ends and the off-season gets under way...let's try and keep all content related to this topic in this thread...

here's a candidate who's already in our system

The first-year skipper, guiding the team to its first winning season in six years, has been asked to interview for the 2011 managing job in Toronto. Rivera has overseen some of the Jays' top prospects while leading the Double-A team toward the Eastern League playoffs.
The parent club needs a replacement for Cito Gaston, retiring from managing following this season. Rivera, 46, will sit down with Toronto general manager Alex Anthopoulos and assistant GM Tony LaCava in Toronto following New Hampshire's bid for an Eastern League title.
Rivera, a former Red Sox infielder, was surprised when taking that call from Toronto.
"I wasn't expecting anything like that. I came to work with these guys in Double-A and help make them better," said Rivera, who joined the Toronto organization after spending the past four years coaching with the Cleveland Indians.

Rivera, of Puerto Rico, signed a one-year contract to manage New Hampshire, which established itself as a dangerous team in April. The second-place Fisher Cats took a 78-58 record into last night's game against Harrisburg and produced a league-best six midseason All-Stars and league-leading three full-season All-Stars (top 13 players in the EL). In addition, Kyle Drabek was named Eastern League Pitcher of the Year.

All season, New Hampshire players have commented on a positive "team chemistry" and team-wide approach to development and winning. Down the road, several of these players will be wearing a Blue Jays uniform. Rivera as their manager would be a good fit.
"I think it's absolutely a great idea. Luis has been amazing this year," New Hampshire center fielder Darin Mastroianni, a candidate for EL Player of the Year, said. "This is my fourth season, and I've had four different managers. They've all been good, but Luis has been awesome."

Following his playing career, Rivera began coaching and managing in the minors, including a memorable stint at Class A Lake County with Cleveland. The team won a minor-league best 97 games in 2003, and Rivera was named South Atlantic League Manager of the Year.
Votes for 2010 Eastern League Manager of the Year have yet to be tabulated, but Rivera certainly has opened eyes.
"He knows how to handle things," said Mastroianni, leading the league in hits, runs and steals. "He played in the big leagues for 11 years and knows what we go through every day: the wear and tear, the mental game, the slumps. He can feel when you need a rest. He can feel when you need to be kicked in the butt. I hope he gets (the Toronto job). He deserves it. I feel like he's a big reason why I've gotten better this year and made the progress that I have."
The Blue Jays already have given Rivera a vote of confidence the season, sending young shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria to Double-A in late June. The 21-year-old batted only .193 at Single-A, but the Jays were eager to send their phenom to New Hampshire and learn from Rivera, a former big-league shortstop. Hechavarria has been as good as advertised, batting .274 and making big-league plays on defense.
Toronto's expanding scouting department continues to target young players from Latin America. This spring, the Jays signed Hechavarria for four years and $10 million. This summer, they signed 16-year-old Venezuelan southpaw Adonis Cardona to a $2.8 million deal.
A bilingual Latino manager could be a wise move for Toronto, a club with Latino big-league stars Jose Bautista and Yunel Escobar. And more on the way.
Other candidates for the Toronto job include current third-base coach Brian Butterfield, ex-Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez, White Sox bench coach Joey Cora and others.
Rivera, however, will be among the strongest candidates on the list.
"It's a great organization. We have some talented young players here, and I think (the Blue Jays) like the way the guys are playing and the way things are running," said Rivera, crediting hitting coach Ralph Dickenson and pitching coach Tom Signore. "We'll see what happens."
New Hampshire's loss could be Toronto's gain.
http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Kevin+Gray's+On+Baseball:+Ri vera+good+fit+for+Jays&articleId=96f3749a-bb65-4a4e-a5e6-871c7a613019

StealingSigns
09-07-2010, 08:10 AM
AA was on Prime Time Sports recently and said they looked at EVERY teams entire farm system when looking for candidates for the upcoming managers vacancy. It looks like a pretty exhaustive search.

GrumpyOldMan
09-07-2010, 08:19 AM
AA was on Prime Time Sports recently and said they looked at EVERY teams entire farm system when looking for candidates for the upcoming managers vacancy. It looks like a pretty exhaustive search.

I really hope this is the case. I really like the talent the Jays are developing, but they need a change in offensive philosophy in my opinion. I trust AA to make the right decision for the future of the club.

Bob_at_york
09-07-2010, 01:51 PM
If Joey Cora gets the job, my brother will go nuts. he is a joey cora fan for some reason.

nithanyo
09-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I really hope this is the case. I really like the talent the Jays are developing, but they need a change in offensive philosophy in my opinion. I trust AA to make the right decision for the future of the club.

We dont need to change our offensive philosophy altogether. We need to change it in certain hitters. This aggresive approach has helped hitters like Bautista, Wells and Jmac while it has hurt hitters like Lind and Hill. With hitters going deep into counts and some swinging early opposing pitchers will not know how to pitch us leading to even more offensive success. We need to keep Murphy while adding another hitting coach who teaches patience to hitters.

GrumpyOldMan
09-07-2010, 05:31 PM
We dont need to change our offensive philosophy altogether. We need to change it in certain hitters. This aggresive approach has helped hitters like Bautista, Wells and Jmac while it has hurt hitters like Lind and Hill. With hitters going deep into counts and some swinging early opposing pitchers will not know how to pitch us leading to even more offensive success. We need to keep Murphy while adding another hitting coach who teaches patience to hitters.

I won't argue about the success of Wells, Buck and Bautista, they have had great seasons. I just don't think the entire lineup should swing from their heels. It would be great to have more runners on base is all I'm saying. Solo homers will only get you so far in a long season.

Asham
09-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I would like to see Ozzie Guillen

T.O. Fan
09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Fredi Gonzalez?

T.O.Bombinators
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Buck Martinez!!!!!

2009mvp
09-08-2010, 05:07 AM
I would like to see Ozzie Guillen

That would make things...interesting.

Buck Martinez!!!!!

And run the risk of jamie campbell returning to the booth? Never!

B2theRY
09-08-2010, 04:55 PM
I said this a long time ago (and i dont think im right but im going to guess)

Tony Pena.

I dont know why, I just have a gut feeling hes the type of manager they will hire.

nstojic
09-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Leyva's thrown his hat into the mix

"They know I'm interested," he says. "Why wouldn't I be? This organization is going in the right direction. You have a young, aggressive general manager. He's got a plan. You'd be foolish if you didn't want to be part of that."

The general manager, widely credited with Midas-like qualities in his rookie year, is Alex Anthopoulos, now deeply engaged in his next big decision: culling a long list of contestants for the job Gaston will vacate at season's end.

Leyva, 57, is Gaston's bench coach. Several other Jays coaches also may become candidates. The most senior, in terms of big-league coaching experience, are third-base coach Brian Butterfield and pitching coach Bruce Walton, both of whom declined comment when the National Post asked about their intentions.

But their potential entry into the race underscores a sticky issue. When Anthopoulos makes his choice, what will become of the generally cohesive coaching staff that has helped guide the Jays to surprising success this season?

Often, a new manager brings in his own coaches, especially if he has extensive experience as a big-league skipper. A lower-profile manager would likely lack the clout to wield a broom; Anthopoulos might well dictate that certain incumbent coaches stay, with the new man getting to choose the rest.

The GM, of course, is not tipping his hand and is far from a final decision. Those inclined to speculate, however, might also note he has been fulsome in his praise of Walton, who, after seven years as bullpen coach, stepped up to pitching coach and guided the Jays' young rotation into a model of consistency, poise and uncommon good health.

Anthopoulos has made it clear he wants a skipper with a major-league background, either as a manager, coach or player. The GM also says he will look carefully at applicants from within the Toronto system, both at the big-league and minor-league levels.

Both Anthopoulos and potential candidates for the job have had an unusually long period to conduct their due diligence. Rarely is a baseball job opening advertised for so long, but at the end of last season, the new GM said Gaston -- who originally wanted to manage through 2011--would move into an advisory job with the team after completing the final year of his contract.

Anthopoulos is nothing if not thorough. He has said the final interviews will represent only a small part of the process. By then, through extensive background checks with everyone from front-office types to trainers and equipment managers, the GM will have a fat dossier on each finalist.

Levya will be a quick study. He started managing in the minors at 24, coached under the legendary Whitey Herzog in St. Louis in the 1980s and became the Philadelphia Phillies' skipper in 1989 when he was only 36.

Fired early in 1991 with a 148-189 record, Leyva worked in the Jays' system and joined Gaston as third-base coach from 1993 through 1997. After then-GM Gord Ash cleaned house following the '97 season, Leyva held several minor-league jobs in other organizations before rejoining Gaston when John Gibbons was fired in mid-2008.

Recalling the challenges he faced in Philadelphia, Leyva says he hopes the Jays hire from within.

"We really didn't know each other," he says, thinking back to the day he arrived to take over the floundering Phillies. "To me, the ideal situation for any first-year young manager, in a case like here, would be to be promoted from within your own organization. Two reasons: You know the organization, and they know you."

Whatever happens, Levya hopes he can stick around.

"I think Alex will give the new manager an opportunity to pick his own coaches," he says. "But I'm hoping that if I can't get a managing job here, that he would consider keeping me here because I know these guys. I can help the new manager. I've coached third, I've been a dugout coach, I know the system here, I know the players here and their strengths and weaknesses. That's very important."

While they are not saying so aloud, several other Jays' coaches might well be thinking along the same lines about now.

http://www.nationalpost.com/Leyva+wants+part+Jays+plan/3504273/story.html#ixzz0z7aAIZhv

nstojic
09-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Dan Shulman on primetime, today.... @ 6:00 they start talking about the Jays managerial job

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20100922_183537_5080

2009mvp
09-22-2010, 10:45 PM
I wonder what the leaders of last years "revolt" against Cito think about the idea of continuity and such with regards to a new manager. According to Griffin it's really only Wells and Hill out of that group remaining on the roster next year, but still, I wonder if the issue was with Cito or with the way Cito does things (which is naturally going to influence how a new manager from within would do things).

Really all I want is a guy whose bottom line is to do what's in the best interests of the organization, not necessarily what he feels is always right (ie: play our freakin' young players!!!). Having a clue when it comes to lineups/in-game decisions certainly helps as well.

Eagles4Lyfe
09-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Whos ryne sandberg??

Bob_at_york
09-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Whos ryne sandberg??

I can't tell if you are joking or not. Do you honestly not know who he is?

1hardcore
09-23-2010, 12:28 PM
RYNE ****EN SANDBERG?????
U ****EN KIDDING ME ????

apparently he was manager of the year for peoria, but he might do good in NL but not the AL though

Bob_at_york
09-23-2010, 12:30 PM
apparently he was manager of the year for peoria, but he might do good in NL but not the AL though
what? can you explain this part?

1hardcore
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
what? can you explain this part?

sorry my mistake

In December 2009 Sandberg was named manager of the Iowa Cubs. It was announced on September 3, 2010 that Sandberg was named as the Pacific Coast League's Manager of the Year for 2010

He's been a national leaguer all his life..
I guess he could delegate the DH position somewhat, but i want manager with a good track record with a young team!

Bob_at_york
09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
In December 2009 Sandberg was named manager of the Iowa Cubs. It was announced on September 3, 2010 that Sandberg was named as the Pacific Coast League's Manager of the Year for 2010

He's been a national leaguer all his life..
I guess he could delegate the DH position somewhat, but i want manager with a good track record with a young team!
It sounds like he has a good track record with a young team. Do you honestly think it is that much different to manage in the AL compared to the NL? Hell if there is a difference then the AL should be easier than the NL because they have more managing to do with their pitchers. Did people say that Leyland was going to have trouble when he joined the Tigers? Did people talk about Joe Torre struggling when he joined the Dodgers?

Eagles4Lyfe
09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
im serious lol i dunno much about the history of baseball that much but whos ryne sandberg sounds familiar?? I heard he won manager of the year and the cubs are after him too

1hardcore
09-23-2010, 05:06 PM
It sounds like he has a good track record with a young team. Do you honestly think it is that much different to manage in the AL compared to the NL? Hell if there is a difference then the AL should be easier than the NL because they have more managing to do with their pitchers. Did people say that Leyland was going to have trouble when he joined the Tigers? Did people talk about Joe Torre struggling when he joined the Dodgers?

Jim Leyland has a pretty strong supporting cast .... Joe Torre didnt in L.A
Maybe Ryne sandberg might do well in A.L.... but what about figuring out how to win in the A.L east

I've followed ryne sandberg long ago, but i think he'll be the next cubs skipper so scratch him on the list!!!

H-MYK
09-23-2010, 08:01 PM
im serious lol i dunno much about the history of baseball that much but whos ryne sandberg sounds familiar?? I heard he won manager of the year and the cubs are after him too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryne_Sandberg

Asham
09-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Hire ozzie

TyA
09-24-2010, 02:17 AM
Is ozzie's contract finished at the end of this year? He would look good managing the jays

Bob_at_york
09-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Jim Leyland has a pretty strong supporting cast .... Joe Torre didnt in L.A
Maybe Ryne sandberg might do well in A.L.... but what about figuring out how to win in the A.L east

I've followed ryne sandberg long ago, but i think he'll be the next cubs skipper so scratch him on the list!!!

I think he would also make a lot of sense for the cubs too... because that is HIS TEAM.

Speaking about Leyland, the Tigers were alright but they did win only 71 games the season before he was hired. Also do you really want me to find more examples of managers switching leagues? You make it sound like it never happens.

1hardcore
09-24-2010, 01:27 PM
I think he would also make a lot of sense for the cubs too... because that is HIS TEAM.

Speaking about Leyland, the Tigers were alright but they did win only 71 games the season before he was hired. Also do you really want me to find more examples of managers switching leagues? You make it sound like it never happens.

Buddy!
What manager do u want then.?????

Because every manager that the jays had since 93 hasn't done well!!
And i was only speaking for Ryne Sandberg himself okay!!!!!! He might do well in the AL, but i dont think he'll do well as a blue jay

Bob_at_york
09-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Buddy!
I have no favourites right now. I am waiting for the season to end and to see if anyone else gets fired before I start thinking about names.

Because every manager that the jays had since 93 hasn't come close!!!
what does that have to do with Sandberg and managers changing leagues? :confused:

miller74
09-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Buddy!

Because every manager that the jays had since 93 hasn't done well!!
And i was only speaking for Ryne Sandberg himself okay!!!!!! He might do well in the AL, but i dont think he'll do well as a blue jay

Tim Johnson had a good year, then well.... you know

Theres an article on sportsnet.ca about the jays getting back into latin america and have alot of latin americans working throughout there system. Im thinking Riveria is gets the job

1hardcore
09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I have no favourites right now. I am waiting for the season to end and to see if anyone else gets fired before I start thinking about names.

what does that have to do with Sandberg and managers changing leagues? :confused:

Were in a new era man!

and joe torre went to the dodgers without a strong supporting cast, Jim Leyland had a pretty good supporting cast.....Joe Girardi .... .nuff said about that one.

If Ryne Sandberg were to manage he'd be coming fromt the PCL. From what i hear some reports say that he has done nothing to deserve a managerial spot in the majors and that it's just the fans that want him as a cub manager. so how is he going to fair will in AL ball parks??? If he was a blue ......we'll be hearing lots of *****ing all over again!!!!!.

Point being.... i'd rather have a manager with m.l experience ..... i'd love to have Ozzie guillen as a manager :p

miller74
09-24-2010, 01:54 PM

They also put alot of money into that team and had a boat load of players come up around the time leyland got there. hes a good manager but u dont go from worst team in the league to the WS because of a managaer, pudge, verlander bonderman robertson (kenny rogers on roids) ordonez, granderson among others had alot to do with it

1hardcore
09-24-2010, 02:05 PM

Theres an article on sportsnet.ca about the jays getting back into latin america and have alot of latin americans working throughout there system. Im thinking Riveria is gets the job

ehhhh

my opinion is my opinion.

Riveria is only AA ....

i just want the jays to have a smart aggresive manager... Ala Ozzie guillen.. heck Willie Randolph wouldn't be so bad either coz he's been in the AL east before

Bob_at_york
09-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Point being.... i'd rather have a manager with m.l experience
That is a completely different point. That is a point I agree with. I just don't think there is that big a difference between the NL and the AL that a manager can't go from one to the other.

miller74
09-24-2010, 02:18 PM
ehhhh

Riveria is only AA ....

i just want the jays to have a smart aggresive manager... Ala Ozzie guillen.. heck Willie Randolph wouldn't be so bad either coz he's been in the AL east before

ya i wasnt discrediting u or anything just adding to it

Bob_at_york
09-24-2010, 02:30 PM
They also put alot of money into that team and had a boat load of players come up around the time leyland got there. hes a good manager but u dont go from worst team in the league to the WS because of a managaer, pudge, verlander bonderman robertson (kenny rogers on roids) ordonez, granderson among others had alot to do with it

I wasn't aware that they were the worst with their 71 wins. I am aware they had talent but I still feel that it wasn't easy for Leyland:

A great deal of credit was also given to manager Jim Leyland. On April 17, after a loss dropped the team's record to 7-7, the manager launched into a tirade against the team about its lack of effort, telling the media, "We stunk." It appeared to light a fire under the players, spurring them on to a stretch in which they won 28 of 35 games

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Detroit_Tigers_season

miller74
09-24-2010, 02:38 PM
I wasn't aware that they were the worst with their 71 wins. I am aware they had talent but I still feel that it wasn't easy for Leyland:

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Detroit_Tigers_season

my mistake i thought he took over after 03 when they were just terrible

2009mvp
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
ehhhh

Riveria is only AA ....

I'd ask White Sox fans about that if I were you. I'd have a hard time calling anyone who pushed Jim Thome out the door so he could DH Mark Kotsay 'smart.'

1hardcore
09-24-2010, 02:59 PM

Tim Johnson only did well coz Roger Clemens and steroids made him well :D

no pun intended

1hardcore
09-24-2010, 03:03 PM
That is a completely different point. That is a point I agree with. I just don't think there is that big a difference between the NL and the AL that a manager can't go from one to the other.

Again ... i said it before.... he might do well in the A.L...

but not with the jays.

If you were a manager coming from an AL to NL i bet you anything it'll take time to adjust!!! just like La Russa did .... there are some some succesfull manager but also there some failures too (changeing leagues)

Bob_at_york
09-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Again ... i said it before.... he might do well in the A.L...

but not with the jays.

If you were a manager coming from an AL to NL i bet you anything it'll take time to adjust!!! just like La Russa did .... there are some some succesfull manager but also there some failures too (changeing leagues)

it took La Russa time to adjust?

1hardcore
09-24-2010, 03:35 PM
it took La Russa time to adjust?

did he win alot then ?? maybe i'm wrong

Bob_at_york
09-24-2010, 03:45 PM

When he joined the White Sox organization, they improved. I am not saying they won a lot but there was improvement there. If he was struggling to get use to the AL game then I would think the team would do worse.

nstojic
09-25-2010, 06:48 AM
The Blue Jays aren’t waiting for season’s end to begin their managerial search.

Early this week they interviewed New York Mets pro scout Bob Melvin and former Cleveland Indians manager Eric Wedge.

Melvin, who turns 49 next month, has two 90-win seasons on his resume: the 2003 Seattle Mariners and the 2007 Arizona Diamondbacks.

The Melvin took over for Lou Piniella with the M’s and won 93 games, finishing two games out of a wild-card spot behind the Boston Red Sox. In his third year managing Arizona, Melvin guided the Diamondbacks to a first-place finish in the National League West. They swept the Chicago Cubs in the first round of post-season play, but were swept by the Colorado Rockies in the NL Championship Series.

Just 29 games into 2009, Melvin was fired and replaced by A.J. Hinch.

It is a competitive market place for clubs seeking managers, possibly double-digits — including Cito Gaston, who has eight games remaining on his run as the Jays’ manager.

Melvin was fired after his second season in Seattle when the M’s won 63 games. He was hired by Arizona in 2005.

In seven seasons, two with the M1s and five with the Diamondbacks, Melvin as three winning seasons and a 156-168 (.481 win percentage) lifetime mark.

At the end of last season Melvin was interviewed by New York Mets manager Jerry Manuel and was not hired as a coach. He was then interviewed by Jeff Wilpon, son of Mets owner Fred Wilpon. He was hired as a pro scout.

That would lead most to believe Melvin would be in the Mets mix for 2011 if Manuel is not retained.

The Melvin interview was conducted by phone.

The Cubs also have permission to interview Melvin and have interviewed Wedge.

Wedge managed the Indians for seven seasons with a 561-573 (.495) mark. He also had two 90-win seasons, winning 93 in 2005 and 96 in 2007, when the Indians won the Central, beating the New York Yankees and losing Game 7 to the Boston Red Sox of the ALCS.

The Jays will interview bench coach Nick Leyva, who managed two-plus seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies, going 148-189 (.439).

“1ve had preliminary talks,” Leyva said before Friday’s game against the Baltimore Orioles. “I’ve talked to a few former general managers. I’m well prepared. I don’t want them to surprise me with a question I’m not familiar with.”

FOX sports reports that Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg is on the Jays list of managers to interview. Sandberg, 51, was named the 2010 manager of the year in the Triple-A

Pacific Coast League running the Iowa Cubs. With Piniella vacating the dugout at Wrigley Field, Sandberg would be a natural to return to the Cubs.

Or as talk that surfaced this season, New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi could return to his home town of Chicago.

Tim Wallach, who played third for Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos’ hometown team, the Montreal Expos, is a candidate after managing Triple-A Albuquerque in the Los Angeles Dodgers system.

Antopoulos told the Jays coaching staff a week ago that all would be invited back for 2011 — depending upon who the new manager wants on his staff.

The only two names to confirm interest were Colorado Rockies hitting coach Don Baylor and Orioles’ Juan Samuel, assistant to Orioles president Andy MacPhail.

Baylor and Samuel both have said Gaston asked them if they were interested.

Baylor, 61, managed the Cubs and Rockies for seven seasons with a 627-689 (.476) record, while ex-Jay Samuel was 17-34 (.333) earlier with the O1s.http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseball/2010/09/24/15473041.html

09-25-2010, 11:16 PM

LaRussa won a division title his first year in the NL

T.O. Fan
09-26-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm still thinking Fredi Gonzalez should at least get a look.

Gordow
09-26-2010, 12:11 PM
I like Samuel , but not as the main guy ,, bench coach for now maybe , but not manager.

The way the Jays have responded to guys like Leyva , Walton , Murphy , Langford , Butterfield i would like to see the nucleus of the current staff kept , that being said really the only way most of these guys would be kept is if one became manager , probably Leyva.

But bringing someone like Manuel on as say bench coach would give him more experience down the road if for some reason the Jays find themselves looking for another manager.

Just my measly .02$

peruball
09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Keep the coaches the same except we move Butterfield to manager and let Roberto Alomar take over his duties on the bases.

tuck25
09-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Keep the coaches the same except we move Butterfield to manager and let Roberto Alomar take over his duties on the bases.

I like that idea actually. Would love to see Alomar on the staff. But i really like the Ryan Sandberg idea more.

frostilicus
09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Alomar needs to stop beating up his wife before he can be on the staff.

Kenny Powders
09-27-2010, 07:11 PM
I like the idea of Rivera.In a few years time when this team is going to be ready compete,there will be a handful of players that he had in New Hampshire playing. Hopefully. They had a decent run this year, and should continue that next year.

Then hire one of the sexy picks, like Sandberg or Alomar as a bench coach. Then you have somewhat of a back up plan.

masTOR_shake1
09-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Buck Martinez!!!!!

lol :cool:

nstojic
09-30-2010, 08:44 AM
“I don’t think that I ever had a list to begin with,” Anthopoulos said. “I don’t want to look back five years from now and think we were a little too quick to dismiss someone. If we didn’t hire someone and they turned out to be a great manager, but we did our due diligence and went through the process, I can live with that. But if we got lazy with it, that I wouldn’t be able to live with.”

This is going to be a slow process. Right now, the Jays are narrowing the list down to a workable number before beginning interviews. Anthopoulos is calling other GMs to ask about certain candidates, so if a name is leaked as being on the Jays’ “list” then it means there was interest. Nothing more. When the GM and his advisers get down to a short list in October and some of the candidates are still in the post-season, the hiring likely would not get done until after the World Series.

“At one point we thought when we got to two, three, four candidates, whatever it was, making them available to the media,” Anthopoulos said of when the public might become involved. “But because there might be so many (managerial) openings available (in the majors) we may not make them available. You look what happened last year with the Astros and the Cleveland Indians with Manny Acta. That’s a tough position to be in for the actual candidate and for both organizations. We’re in a much better position to do things behind the scenes, quietly.”

Last October the Astros announced Acta as a prime candidate for manager then lost him to the Indians. But the fact is this GM always plays his cards close to the vest. He likes it that way. The final interviews will likely be done and the manager hired between the end of the World Series and the start of free agency 15 days later.

“The ones that we still need to work with and still need to be determined are ones that are employed by clubs,” Anthopoulos explained. “The way these things work out, by the winter meetings mostly everybody has someone in place. Out of respect for everyone in the organization, everyone on the staff I hope we have it done sooner rather than later. I just don’t want to rush.”

The search process has put the Jays’ major-league coaches in employment limbo. Anthopoulos has spoken to Dwayne Murphy, Nick Leyva, Brian Butterfield, Bruce Walton, Omar Malave and Rick Langford one-on-one and guaranteed them a job in the organization, but the final call on the major-league staff will belong to the new manager. In the meantime, they are all free to seek jobs elsewhere.

“The manager has to be involved,” Anthopoulos said. “I don’t think it’s fair to hand him a staff entirely picked by the front office. You hire a manager to do the job. They should have input.”

“I feel strongly about every (coach) here and I think everyone realizes the job these guys did. I just don’t know how the off-season’s going to play out. I talked to Paul Beeston about it knowing these guys all signed one-year deals, knowing there was going to be uncertainty and the tremendous job they’ve done and the loyalty they’ve shown to the organization.”

He talks a good game when it comes to him giving the new guy the final say on coaches, but it’s likely that whenever he interviews his final four candidates, Anthopoulos will lobby hard for a couple of the current instructors to stay on the staff, especially Walton the pitching coach, because of the spectacular work he did with an emerging young starting rotation.http://www.thestar.com/article/867672--griffin-no-rush-to-find-new-manager-gm-says

BBB
09-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Pat Hentgen

nstojic
09-30-2010, 03:27 PM
The Toronto Blue Jays have received permission to interview Rockies hitting coach Don Baylor for their managerial opening, sources say.
Retiring manager Cito Gaston has been trumpeting Baylor for the managing job behind the scenes, sources also say.
Baylor managed the Rockies from 1993 to 1998 and the Cubs from 2000 to 2002.
The Blue Jays are doing several phone interviews -- as many as 15 -- before calling in finalists. It is believed Yankees third base coach Rob Thomson and Blue Jays third base coach Brian Butterfield will be among those considered, as well.
According to the Toronto Sun, the Blue Jays interviewed former Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin and ex-Indians manager Eric Wedge.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/09/30/baylor.blue.jays/index.html?eref=sihp

wowzman
10-01-2010, 12:57 AM
The Toronto Blue Jays have received permission to interview Rockies hitting coach Don Baylor for their managerial opening, sources say.
Retiring manager Cito Gaston has been trumpeting Baylor for the managing job behind the scenes, sources also say.
Baylor managed the Rockies from 1993 to 1998 and the Cubs from 2000 to 2002.
The Blue Jays are doing several phone interviews -- as many as 15 -- before calling in finalists. It is believed Yankees third base coach Rob Thomson and Blue Jays third base coach Brian Butterfield will be among those considered, as well.
According to the Toronto Sun, the Blue Jays interviewed former Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin and ex-Indians manager Eric Wedge.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/09/30/baylor.blue.jays/index.html?eref=sihp

Gaston said Thursday that he was pleased to hear that Baylor will interview for the job and said he has passed the names of several other possible candidates to Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos

Gaston said he recommended Juan Samuel, who served as interim manager in Baltimore this season after Dave Trembley was fired, for an interview. He also has passed along the names of a handful of other people who reached out to him to express interest.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/09/30/baylor.jays.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Frankly, I don't like either Baylor or Samuel.

1hardcore
10-01-2010, 01:30 AM
actually baylor might be a good one....

The Slave
10-01-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm hoping for Ryne Sandberg to get the gig. He definitely has to be considered one of the A-list guys available. Funny, how in baseball, a minor league coach or an assistant could be considered an A-list type guy.

Guys like Ryne Sandberg, Ron Roenicke, Dave Martinez, and Steve Liddle have become big time names only because they're serving under A-list managers.

I think building for the future is what Anthopolous is aiming for and Sandberg just proved that he can work with youngsters. He was an All-Star when he was in the majors and has the coaching resume as well. For a young, up and coming team like the Jays, he's a perfect fit.

Steve Liddle, the bench coach for the Twins is second on my list. He's been under the best manager in baseball for quite some time now. He's probably learned his fair share from Gardenhire, and should be given a shot.

wowzman
10-02-2010, 09:35 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/article/869699--griffin-managerial-search-list-growing-for-blue-jays

Add Angels bench coach Ron Roenicke to the list of potential managerial replacements for Cito Gaston after the Jays requested permission to talk to him earlier this week.

Candidates’ names will continue to be leaked on a regular basis, however the process is a long way from over, according to GM Alex Anthopoulos.

There is no doubt it has begun. Colorado hitting coach Don Baylor has received permission from the Rockies to interview for the job after his club was eliminated from the wild-card race. Bob Melvin (who last managed the Diamondbacks in ’09) and Eric Wedge (fired by the Indians after ’09) have also been contacted. Chatter will continue, the list will grow and eventually be whittled down to about four.

On Monday, Anthopoulos spoke regarding his personal vision of making sure he gets the right man. It’s his first managerial search and he describes a careful, plodding process that casts a huge net and should end with the announcement of a skipper shortly after the World Series.

First will be talks with internal Jays candidates and several others not currently affiliated or active with clubs. Third-base coach Brian Butterfield is interested but doesn’t even want to talk about it with the GM until the season ends Sunday. Bench coach and Gaston confidant Nick Leyva will not ask for an interview but if Anthopoulos wants to sit down with him, he will. Double-A manager Luis Rivera will get an interview and could be a member of the major-league coaching staff.

How deep is the overall pool of candidates that Anthopoulos and his staff have had to wade through? Consider that there are 68 men who have managed in the major leagues since the 2000 season who are not managing at the moment or may be about to be fired — like the Mets’ Jerry Manuel.

There are 37 current major-league coaches with credentials that would be of interest to any team with an opening. There are six obvious minor-league managers to consider, led by former Expos third basemen Tim Wallach and Larry Parrish, and two men that we’ll label as others — Jim Fregosi, a senior adviser to the Braves (who says he’s not interested), and Davey Johnson, filling the same role with the Nats. Remember that several of Anthopoulos’ key front-office hires have a Nationals background.

The list of serious Jays candidates running unattached is led by Wedge and Melvin, with Wedge likely to get a callback at some point. Former Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez will draw some Jays interest, while ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine is forever a candidate for open jobs but is probably looking for a higher-profile club. Anyway, he is not the right fit for Toronto.

Then come the candidate coaches from teams that at the end of the season are not going to be playoff-bound. Baylor leads that list, although he is far too similar in terms of philosophy and style to Gaston. Usually teams replacing managers look for the polar opposite of what they had before. Both Gaston and Baylor are former players, former hitting coaches with managerial experience who are regarded as players’ managers but with questionable in-game credentials.

Others that should likely be considered from non-playoff teams once the season ends include Brewers bench coach Willie Randolph and Nationals’ bench coach John McLaren.

Coaches from current playoff teams with a chance to be still playing late into October, candidates that will at least be discussed internally by the Jays include two from the Phillies, Pete Mackanin and Davey Lopes, two from the Yankees, Tony Pena and Rob Thompson, and two from the Rays, Dave Martinez and Tom Foley. Thompson is a Sarnia native and a sentimental favourite. Pena was once a hot managerial property before going to the Royals and eventually resigning in mid-season for personal reasons.

Consider, also, that with the number of jobs likely opening up via firings and retirements and interims like the Cubs’ Mike Quade actually being interim, the top candidates with track records may have more than one option and may make the Jays wait before giving them an answer.

Anthopoulos will continue to be patient and careful. He wants to get the right man for the Jays’ situation to build one more year and then contend. The process is not even halfway through.

Apparently, everyone is a candidate. :D

lpz_77
10-04-2010, 12:34 AM
I love the idea of Tim Wallach as the new manager and Luis Rivera as the bench coach. Rivera has been a great teacher with the young players, so much so that our main top prospects are being sent to Double A instead of TrIple A.

As for Wallach, I love the idea for the NL style play of speed and hit and run aka small ball and producing runs. Add that to our HR hitting ability with Murphy as out batting coach and we could be a scary team to play.

lovingTO
10-04-2010, 02:50 AM
I really like AA, that man is thorough.

I hope the new manager gets rid of Murphy as the hitting coach. This team needs a new approach at the plate moving forward.

tuck25
10-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Tim is interesting for sure but i still like Sandberg the most out of all of them, and maybe Rivera, but i really dont like Samuel at all.

ryhno
10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
To think these are only half of the people that are interested in. Should be a very interesting off-season.

Sturmer
10-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Who will be the manager next season, Baylor, Butterfield?

the_jon
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
I might get a slap for this but..... Dave Tremblay?

nstojic
10-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Don Baylor has been interviewed for the Blue Jays’ vacant managerial job.

Baylor, 61, was interviewed by phone Friday when he was in St. Louis serving as hitting coach with the Colorado Rockies.

He managed nine years with the Chicago Cubs and the Rockies.

General manager Alex Anthopoulos and assistant GM Tony LaCava have held one-hour, interviews with Bob Melvin, 48, who had two 90-win seasons in seven seasons with the Seattle Mariners and the Arizona Diamondbacks; Eric Wedge, 42, who had two 90-win seasons in seven seasons with the Cleveland Indians; Ron Roenicke, 54, who twice won manager-of-the-year honours in the minors and is the bench coach with the Los Angeles Angels and the Jays double-A manager Luis Rivera, 46, who guided New Hampshire to a post-season berth in the Eastern League.

The Blue Jays also interviewed current bench coach Nick Leyva, 57, who managed two-plus seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies, and Jays third base coach Brian Butterfield, 51, who managed in the minors but only for a few weeks above the class-A level.

Once the Jays are finished with their first round of interviews, finalists will be interviewed a second time.

Cito Gaston managed his final game Sunday in Minneapolis.

Of course, other candidates could surface as teams are eliminated from post-season play.

For example, the Jays could ask for permission on New York Yankees third base coach Rob Thomson when the Yanks post-season concludes.http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseball/2010/10/05/15595726.html

wowzman
10-06-2010, 05:47 PM
SI list of managerial candidates

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/10/05/managers.openings/index.html?eref=sihp

Some excerpts pertaining to the Jays;

14. Bob Melvin. Mets scout took the Diamondbacks to the NLCS in 2007. Solid baseball man is on the list of the Cubs and Blue Jays, and maybe the Brewers, too.

19. Don Baylor. Has Gaston's blessing in Toronto. But will that be enough? Former Cubs and Rockies manager is well-liked.

20. Brian Butterfield. Blue Jays coach and excellent baseball man has everything but name recognition (or Gaston's blessing apparently). Will get an interview in Toronto, though.

22. Rick Down. Blue Jays scout has excellent track record as minor-league manager and came close to several big-league managing jobs.

24. Ron Roenicke. Solid guy working under the great Angels manager Mike Scioscia. Just interviewed by Blue Jays

26. Tim Wallach. Very good major league player did nice job managing the Dodgers Triple-A team in Albuquerque. Supposedly turned down interview in Toronto.

37. John Gibbons. The Mariners received permission to interview the Royals bench coach, according to Larry Stone of the Seattle Times.

Sturmer
10-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Torre

Kenny Powders
10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Torre

I don't want Joe Torre anywhere near this team. what exactly has he accomplished outside of the Bronx, where his stats were inflated due to the great team he had.

The only good thing Torre is good at is managing a team of high priced superstars, which we are not.

jaysfan55
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I think its either going to be baylor, butterfield, or thompson... but if i had too choose...butterfield...he spent alot of time with Cito and is fimiliar with this team and the coaches..plus he diserves the shot

Kenny Powders
10-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I think its either going to be baylor, butterfield, or thompson... but if i had too choose...butterfield...he spent alot of time with Cito and is fimiliar with this team and the coaches..plus he diserves the shot

Personally, I don't want anyone who has any connection to Cito Gaston to have anything to do with coaching this team.

Twitchy
10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Let's try to keep all the info about the Jays manager in one thread.

TyA
10-08-2010, 12:28 AM
What would u guys think of Joe girardi

1hardcore
10-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Joe girardi would be a dream..

Kinda think of it ....... all it takes is a really good solid team..... **** .... bring in buck martinez with a 200 mill payroll and the jays might do well.

how many good managers are out there aside from Rod gardenhire, and so forth that has a team with low payroll????

FlakeyFool
10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
eric wedge has been connected to the jays

B2theRY
10-09-2010, 03:15 PM
i want a manager who will play a national league style.. instead of the one who sits and waits for the homer.

or my favorite

if hill is batting 2nd and he gets the day off his replacement will take teh #2slot in the order like cito has the order based on position

wowzman
10-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Quick little tidbit I found here

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/10/11/girardi.yankees/index.html?eref=sihp

• Ron Roenicke, the Angels' third base coach emerging as a managerial candidate in Toronto and elsewhere, is known around the Angels for giving a stirring sermon about losing a loved one following the untimely and tragic death of Nick Adenhart.

nstojic
10-12-2010, 03:53 PM
^^ that's very touching and 'stirring' BUT I want a guy who's known for something directly related to the game of baseball or player development..

1hardcore
10-12-2010, 04:11 PM
John Farrell has been added as possible candidates! ....... Interersting. He could be a good one too

The Slave
10-12-2010, 11:20 PM
As per TSN The Jays have interviewed Bobby Valentine.

statquo
10-13-2010, 12:40 AM
The Blue Jays managerial search appears to be officially underway.

The Toronto Star is reporting that the Jays have interviewed former New York Mets and Texas Rangers manager Bobby Valentine for the team's vacant managerial position.

The 60-year old Valentine, who last managed in the Majors with the Mets in 2002, is also reportedly in the running for both the Mariners and Marlins manager's role. He also managed the Chiba Lotte Marines of the Japanese league for six seasons and is currently a baseball analyst for ESPN.

The Jays managerial position opened when Cito Gaston was moved into an executive role with the club following the season.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=337224

FlakeyFool
10-13-2010, 11:33 AM
i want eric wedge

wowzman
10-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Quick little tidbit I found here

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/10/11/girardi.yankees/index.html?eref=sihp

• Ron Roenicke, the Angels' third base coach emerging as a managerial candidate in Toronto and elsewhere, is known around the Angels for giving a stirring sermon about losing a loved one following the untimely and tragic death of Nick Adenhart.

^^ that's very touching and 'stirring' BUT I want a guy who's known for something directly related to the game of baseball or player development..

I am glad it touched you on an emotional level but that was not the point. It was meant to inform you and others that Roenike is "emerging as a managerial candidate in Toronto".

I think that a former 1st round pick, (17th overall), former major league ballplayer (1981-88), former coach on the LA Dodgers major league team (1992-93), former California League Manger of the Year (1995), former hitting coach for AAA Albuquerque (1996), former Manager of the Year (1997) for leading the Double A San Antonio Missions to the Texas league Championship, former manager at AAA Albuquerque (1998), former manager of AAA Fresno Grizzlies, Angels third base coach (2000-06) and current bench coach (2006 to present), may just meet your criteria as "a guy who's known for something directly related to the game of baseball or player development"

nstojic
10-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I am glad it touched you on an emotional level but that was not the point. It was meant to inform you and others that Roenike is "emerging as a managerial candidate in Toronto".

I think that a former 1st round pick, (17th overall), former major league ballplayer (1981-88), former coach on the LA Dodgers major league team (1992-93), former California League Manger of the Year (1995), former hitting coach for AAA Albuquerque (1996), former Manager of the Year (1997) for leading the Double A San Antonio Missions to the Texas league Championship, former manager at AAA Albuquerque (1998), former manager of AAA Fresno Grizzlies, Angels third base coach (2000-06) and current bench coach (2006 to present), may just meet your criteria as "a guy who's known for something directly related to the game of baseball or player development"

well then...this should've been in your original post :eyebrow:

wowzman
10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
well then...this should've been in your original post :eyebrow:

If so, then maybe you should have posted the pedigree of each and every managerial candidate in this story that you posted previously as well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/09/30/baylor.blue.jays/index.html?eref=sihp

or in this story.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseball/2010/10/05/15595726.html

From your posted article;

Ron Roenicke, 54, who twice won manager-of-the-year honours in the minors

Maybe had you actually read the article you posted referenced above, then you may have realized that Roenicke is "a guy who's known for something directly related to the game of baseball or player development.. "

nstojic
10-13-2010, 05:56 PM
:sigh: really wowzman? really?

you cut and paste the entire sentence, when you could've cut and paste just the first part about him being a candidate... my original comment was lighthearted and not a shot at you or a criticism of roenicke.... get over yourself..

scotttube
10-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Bobby Valentine would be solid. Didn't think they could get a guy with his pedigree.

T.O. Fan
10-13-2010, 09:05 PM
^^^On that note, he's withdrawn himself as a candidate from the Marlins job.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thehotstoneleague/2013153890_valentine_pulls_name_from_flor.html

wowzman
10-13-2010, 09:12 PM
:sigh: really wowzman? really?

you cut and paste the entire sentence, when you could've cut and paste just the first part about him being a candidate... my original comment was lighthearted and not a shot at you or a criticism of roenicke.... get over yourself..

My apologies. I guess I should have cut that 40 word post down to 14 words for you as highlighting a specific section of the text appears to have been insufficient. I guess those extra words about his ability as a public speaker and his compasion toward a former player are completely irrelevant and would have no bearing on someone interveiwing for a managerial position. However, you keep posting those 8 paragraph articles, no need to trim them.

Your original comment did not come across to me as lighthearted. It came across as a snide remark and a direct shot at me along with a dismissal of Roenicke`s abilities and talents.

However, it is sometimes difficult to gage the emotional context of a statement, be it sarcasm or jocularity, when one has only the type written word to go by.

If, as you say, that your original statement was ìntended as a lighthearted remark then I am willing to accept that and move on.

No hard feelings.

nstojic
10-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I guess those extra words about his ability as a public speaker and his compasion toward a former player are completely irrelevant and would have no bearing on someone interveiwing for a managerial position.

as if those are exclusive only to him...

If, as you say, that your original statement was ìntended as a lighthearted remark then I am willing to accept that and move on.

No hard feelings.

they were...
don't get all defensive like that.. you didn't write those words, you quoted them... that would be a classic example of 'shooting the messenger'...

R. Johnson#3
10-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Get us the master of disguise, Bobby Valentine!

Asham
10-14-2010, 05:58 PM
hire jp ricciardi

1hardcore
10-15-2010, 11:54 PM
OKay ...
word has it that Eric Wedge is now taken by the mariners....

The blue jays i think should've snatched him!

nstojic
10-17-2010, 07:54 AM
There are coaches on both sides of the field who deserve a chance to be considered for any open managerial position, including the Jays, but are still working on their 2010 season. Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin is one of those

“No. 1, you don’t call in my opinion, you can’t really promote yourself,” Mackanin said. “You hope that somebody thinks enough of you to have them put you on their list. In that regard, you just hope that your body of work makes an impression on somebody. That’s all you can rely on.

“I’m sure there are people that push. When I was the interim in Pittsburgh, a number of people called the Pirates expressing interest in the job while I was the manager. I don’t think that’s very ethical, but people do it all the time. It happened with Jerry Manuel (of the Mets) and I don’t think it’s right. ”

Mackanin, 59, has done it all in various baseball capacities to create what should be a powerful resume. He has interim managed two bad MLB teams to a combined .500 record. He has managed in the minors, coached in the minors and majors, worked as an advance scout, toiled in player development and managed more than 10 years in Caribbean League winter ball.

“At one point a couple of years ago, somebody told me, ‘You know what, Pete, one of the problems is that nobody reads resumes. They go by (a name) somebody might refer ... or somebody might recommend you.’ There’s guys whose names come up and I don’t understand why they would warrant an interview, whereas if you look at my 43 years in baseball, you would think if somebody read it they’d say, ‘You know what? This guy looks pretty interesting.’”

Mackanin has 106 games as a major league manager. The Chicago native, who played second base for the Rangers, Expos, Phillies and Twins, was bench coach for the Pirates when he took over in the final month after Lloyd McClendon was fired. He had been scouting for the Reds in 2007, taking over from the fired Jerry Narron on July 1. He was replaced at year’s end by Dusty Baker. He has been the Phillies bench coach the past two seasons, taking over from Jimy Williams.

“There’s more to managing at that level than strategy,” Mackanin explained. “There’s plenty of guys in the minor leagues that know how to run a game at the big league level. I remember (Expos manager) Felipe (Alou) once saying when you’re managing, you’re managing not only the players, you’re managing the coaches, the owners, the people who work in the front office. You’re managing the trainers. You’re in charge of everything. You need to show you’re capable of doing that.”

In addition to Alou, Mackanin has played for and worked with numerous big-name managers including Billy Martin, Gene Mauch, Whitey Herzog and Dick Williams. But the prototype he describes, someone who manages men better than games, is his current boss Charlie Manuel.

“Charlie is a real good example of that,” Mackanin said. “As somebody put it, he keeps the temperature in the clubhouse at the right level. He knows how to handle people. That’s his strongest asset. He gets the respect from the players and he respects the players. It’s a mutual admiration thing. A team needs someone that’s going to represent the organization the way they want to be represented.”http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/876590--griffin-jays-managerial-search-make-go-through-philly

StealingSigns
10-18-2010, 12:57 AM
It appears the Toronto Blue Jays have run into a roadblock in their search for a new manager.

According to FoxSports.com, the Los Angeles Dodgers have denied the Jays request to interview Tim Wallach for their vacant manager position. Wallach was considered an early favourite for the position.

Wallach, who played for the Montreal Expos for 13 seasons, has been a manager in the Dodgers minor-league system for the past four years, the last two at Triple A Albuquerque.

Although Wallach recently interviewed with the Milwaukee Brewers, the report indicates the Jays were denied permission to talk to him because his contract allows him to interview with only certain teams.

According to a major league source, Padres first base coach Rick Renteria and Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell, are also in the running for the position.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=337376

StealingSigns
10-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale is getting a second interview for the Blue Jays managerial position - Twitter post from Nick Carfado of the Boston Globe.

Filter here at work won't let me into Twitter, posted on the website that cannot be named.

Eagles4Lyfe
10-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I just want a john madden or jerry manuel type handling the young guys properly and just helping us maintain how we were this year..

T.O. Fan
10-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Sandy Alomar Jr. is going for his 3rd interview with the Jays.

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/27774494014

Mark Polishuk M L B T R
Sandy Alomar Jr. is going to have his third interview with the Blue Jays and is "among [the] finalists" for Toronto's managerial job, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, though Rosenthal isn't sure how many names are on the Jays' list of finalists. Alomar Jr. is one of the least experienced of the many names on Toronto's list, with just the past season as Cleveland's first base coach and two years as a Mets minor league catching instructor on his coaching resume. Rosenthal also notes that Boston bench coach DeMarlo Hale "is in [the] mix," which ties into yesterday's item about Hale being asked back for a second interview.

Twitchy
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
I just want a john madden or jerry manuel type handling the young guys properly and just helping us maintain how we were this year..

Ironically, Jerry Manuel is probably the worst person at handling young players.

fatkev78
10-19-2010, 08:45 AM
The Toronto Blue Jays have given the New York Mets permission to interview Dana Brown, the special assistant to GM Alex Anthopoulos.

Brown joined the Blue Jays last October when Anthopoulos lured him over from the Washington Nationals.

At the time he made the move, Brown said he had aspirations of becoming a GM himself one day.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2010/10/18/mets-gm-search-0/?source=topstories

Not managerial related....but it would suck.

Shifty1 69
10-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Jerry Manuel?? Really?? haha, just kidding. Just not a fan of the idea at all.

John Madden managing the Jays is intriguing.... I will just want the Jays to make it to playing October so Madden can bust out the Turducken for Canadian Thanksgiving too.:D

Eagles4Lyfe
10-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Ironically, Jerry Manuel is probably the worst person at handling young players.

Jerry Manuel?? Really?? haha, just kidding. Just not a fan of the idea at all.

John Madden managing the Jays is intriguing.... I will just want the Jays to make it to playing October so Madden can bust out the Turducken for Canadian Thanksgiving too.:D

Sorry i meant the phillies manager Charlie lol...My mistake guys everytime i watch their games i like how he handles situations, reminds me kinda like cito a little..For example the freshest example is in the playoffs last game when people thought he was going out there to take oswalt out but left him in the game, which shows confidence in your guy and that gets you respect in the club house...This is why i think AA is looking at minor league managers so because their used to dealing with young prospects day in and day out showing they know how to handle them..
Think is a lot of guys like that are up their in age like near their 60's so its kind of hard...

nstojic
10-19-2010, 03:32 PM
As the Toronto Blue Jays search for a new manager, the lingering mystery is why the Los Angeles Dodgers rejected general manager Alex Anthopoulos’s request to interview former Montreal Expo Tim Wallach.

It is an unwritten rule in baseball, and professional sports in general, that teams never stand in the way of a coach or front-office employee who has an opportunity to advance with another organization.

While Anthopoulos remains tight-lipped about everything to do with the ongoing search for a new manager to replace Cito Gaston, it is known that the Blue Jays organization is miffed at the Dodgers for their refusal to make Wallach available.

“It makes no sense,” said one senior official with the baseball team.

Ned Colletti, the Dodgers GM, has so far declined comment on the matter and did not respond to an e-mail sent to him on Monday.

There have been reports that Wallach’s contract with the Dodgers allows him to interview only with certain teams and that the Blue Jays aren’t one of them.

Why Wallach would agree to such a clause in his contract, especially when he is not a player, is a pertinent question.

One scenario is that Wallach is considered the manager in waiting should new boss Don Mattingly falter.

The Dodgers, so the theory goes, are still haunted by the spectre of Mike Scioscia, their former bench coach in the late 1990s who was passed over one too many times for the manager’s job.

Scioscia eventually grew tired of it all, resigned, and headed to Anaheim where he emerged as one of baseball’s best managers with the Los Angeles Angels.

Wallach coached this past season for the Albuquerque Isotopes, the Dodgers’ top minor-league affiliation, and many felt he was in line for the top job in L.A. after Joe Torre announced he was stepping down in September.

Instead, the Dodgers appointed former major-leaguer Mattingly to the position, with Wallach being promised a spot on the Dodgers’ coaching staff for 2011 unless he is hired to manage another big-league club.

In the meantime, Anthopoulos’s search for a new manager continues without Wallach in the mix, and it would appear that Hale has emerged as one of the front-runners.

The former Red Sox third-base coach, who took over as bench coach in 2010, will be interviewed a second time by the Blue Jays, this time in person.

The Jays also interviewed current Red Sox third-base coach Tim Bogar for the job, but Bogar has since taken himself out of the running.

Others who have reportedly interviewed for the job include Dave Martinez, the Tampa Bay Rays bench coach; San Diego Padres first-base coach Rick Renteria; and Rob Thomson, the New York Yankees third-base coach, who is a native of Corunna, Ont.

Former major-league manager Bobby Valentine has also talked to the Jays, among other teams, about returning to the game, but recent comments he made would indicate he is no longer a consideration in Toronto.

“I’m looking for that perfect situation and it hasn’t presented itself yet,” Valentine said on Sirius XM radio.

Asked if he expected to have a second conversation with the Blue Jays, Valentine said he didn’t.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/jays-miffed-dodgers-wont-let-them-talk-to-wallach/article1762668/

nstojic
10-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Well, we have candidates who have been interviewed on the phone, possible candidates and people who should be interviewed.

Already interviewed

n Don Baylor, 61, Colorado Rockies hitting coach

(Managed Rockies, Cubs, nine years, 1,317 games)

n Tim Bogar, 43, Red Sox third base coach

(Three seasons in minors, 347 games)

n Brian Butterfield, 52, Jays third base coach

(Managed class-A five years, six weeks triple-A, 592 games)

n John Farrell, 48, pitching coach, Red Sox

(Zero managing experience)

n Sal Fasano, 38, class-A Lansing manager

(Managed one season in minors, 139 games)

n DeMarlo Hale, 49, Red Sox bench coach

(Managed seven seasons in minors, 779 games)

n Nick Leyva, 57, Jays bench coach

(Managed Phillies two-plus years, 13 years in minors, 1,733 games)

n Bob Melvin, 48, Mets pro scout

(Managed M’s, Diamondbacks, seven years, 1,001 games)

n Rick Renteria, 49, San Diego Padres coach

(Managed eight seasons in minors, 1,122 games)

n Ron Roenicke, 54, bench coach, Los Angeles Angels

(Managed five seasons in minors, 775 games)

n Luis Rivera, 46, manager, double-A New Hampshire

(Managed three seasons in minors, 560 games)

n Rob Thomson, 47, third base coach for the Yankees.

(Managed one season in minors, 75 games).

n Bobby Valentine, 60, ESPN broadcaster

(Managed Rangers, Mets, Chiba Lotte, Japan, 3,385 games)

n Eric Wedge, 42

(Managed Indians seven years, five years in minors, 1,840 game

To be interviewed

n Joey Cora, 45, bench coach Chicago White Sox.

(Managed three seasons in minors, 272 games).

n Clint Hurdle, 52 hitting coach, Texas Rangers.

(Managed Rockies eight seasons, six years in minors, 2,127 games)

n Pat Listach, 42, Washington Nationals third base coach.

(Managed two seasons in minors, 280 games)

n Dave Martinez, 46, bench coach Tampa Bay.

(Zero managing experience)

n Juan Samuel, 49, Orioles assistant to president.

(Partial season managing Orioles, 51 games)

n Ryne Sandberg, 50, manager triple-A Iowa.

(Managed four seasons in minors, 562 games)

n Don Wakamatsu, 47

(Managed Mariners, managed in minors three seasons, 695 games)

Eliminated

n Tim Wallach, 52, Los Angeles Dodgers coach

(Managed four seasons in minors, 567 games)http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseball/2010/10/14/15696121.html

Bob_at_york
10-19-2010, 03:47 PM
why isn't Sandy Alomar on that list?

2009mvp
10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Wedge should probably be on the eliminated list now. Weird that Elliot makes no mention of Sandy Alomar Jr. when someone reported he was back for a third interview the other day.

ryhno
10-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Maybe he is not on the list, because he is already hired? Just a thought lol.

T.O. Fan
10-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Perhaps Alomar Jr. is in the running for a different position with the Jays?

Fasano, Rivera, Rob Thomson and Dave Martinez are no longer in the running.

http://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/27874022950

Kenny Powders
10-19-2010, 07:45 PM
With Sal Fasono, Luis Rivera, Rob Thompson, and Dave Martinez out of the running? That leaves Brian Butterfield, Nick Leyva, DeMarlo Hale, Sandy Alomar. Who you got?

I really don't want Leyva or Butterfield who might be influenced because of their time with Cito. So either Hale or Alomar for me.

nstojic
10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
“They told me I wasn’t one of the final guys,” Baylor said Tuesday afternoon. “That’s not the way I’d would have liked it to go down — a one-hour phone interview.”

General manager Alex Anthopoulos, assistant GM Tony LaCava and special assistant GM Dana Brown conducted their first round of interviews by phone. Some as many as three hours.

The two candidates to emerge to date past the first phone call interview are Cleveland Indians coach Sandy Alomar, Jr., 46, the former all-star catcher, who has never managed and Boston Red Sox bench coach Demarlo Hale, 49, who managed seven years in the minors.

Will Ryne Sandberg emerge now that he’s out of the Chicago Cubs job? People in the Jays system have spoken highly of Sandberg for the previous two months.

Baylor said he’d mentioned to the Jays bringing in Sandy Alomar as one of his possible coaches and wondered if that’s how the Jays thought of Alomar.

Baylor was told it was not Sandy, but Sandy, Jr.

“Sandy Jr.? Sounds like they are going with youth over experience,” said Baylor, 61, who managed the Colorado Rockies and the Chicago Cubs for nine seasons. This year, Baylor was the Rockies hitting coach. He has been offered a position as an assistant to GM Dan O’Dowd, but says he won’t take that position.

Likely previous interviewee and former Cleveland manager Eric Wedge, hired by the Seattle Mariners, suggested Alomar.

“I’m going to have to phone Cito Gaston and thank him for putting my name forward, but it was a useless exercise. I gave them an hour of my time to pursue the issue.”

Baylor said he told Jays executives of ways to improve in the American League East. Like stealing bases.

“You can’t live on the home run alone, I thought they had some talent there to force the issue, this team could steal more bases,” said Baylor, who said he gave the Jays a few examples of clubhouse protocol.

“Some players will go to the trainer to ask out of the lineup,” Baylor said. “Not in my clubhouse. They have to come to me and then I’d discuss it with the trainers. I gave them some other scenarios.

“How will a young guy handle that?”

Meanwhile, Dave Martinez, Tampa Bay Rays bench coach, said Tuesday he was interviewed “five or six days ago.”

“They said I’d hear back from them,” Martinez said. “Alex is a great guy and they have a plan going forward.”

And Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium, Texas Rangers hitting coach Clint Hurdle said he had not heard from the Jays, but would be interested in managing again.

Hurdle, 52, managed the Rockies for eight seasons, including a trip to the Series and managed six years in the minors.

“Look around the AL East at the managers,” an executive said, referring to Joe Girardi of the New York Yankees, Joe Maddon of the Tampa Bay Rays, Terry Francona of the Boston Red Sox and Buck Showalter, who had success with the Yanks and the Arizona Diamondbacks, before joining the Baltimore Orioles this summer.

All have been to post-season play. Francona has won two World Series, Giradi one, Maddon an AL pennant and Showalter guided the Diamondbacks to post-season play in 1999.

“Is it fair to toss in someone with zero managing experience at the major-league level?” the executive asked.http://www.torontosun.com/sports/2010/10/19/15752076.html

Twitchy
10-19-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm glad Baylor didn't get the spot. Why risk getting thrown out to advance one base when they damn near broke the major league record in home runs? It's just as bad as when Escobar sac bunted over the leadoff guy so that Bautista could hit a home run with one less potential runner to drive in.

Who did he think was capable of stealing more bases? Escobar? Wells? Lind? This roster isn't exactly built to run...

StealingSigns
10-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Clint Hurdle is an intriguing possibility. There was some speculation this past week that the Jays have an eye on someone whose team was still playing in the post season.

StayOnBoard
10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I would really like Sandy Alomar Jr or Hale - the Sox asst coach, even though Im a little worried about his lack of experience. That said, its nice to see AA swing for the fences.

I really wish Rob Thompson and Tom Foley were given more of a shot but I have to figure AA knows more than I do.

Either way, I think we'll soon see. I don't think Butter/Leyva are the right choices either - they need new/fresh blood IMO.

T.O. Fan
10-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm guessing it will be Hale with Alomar Jr. coming over in some capacity.

If it is Hale, here's a wiki link that goes over his experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeMarlo_Hale

StayOnBoard
10-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm guessing it will be Hale with Alomar Jr. coming over in some capacity.

If it is Hale, here's a wiki link that goes over his experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeMarlo_Hale

Honestly, if we could have Hale as our skipper with Alomar as the asst. coach - that would be the best possible scenario.

I'd be happy with either but I think Hale is the right choice. He has a very impressive resume where as Alomar doesn't have a ton of coaching experience.

Still - we're in good hands... can't wait until the offseason - hurry up Texas and take out the Yankees :clap:

2009mvp
10-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Dude sounds bitter. I predict a (another?) fallout between the Jays and Cito, it's clear they only interviewed Baylor to appease Cito and it sounds like both of those guys thought he had a legit shot at the job. A crappy situation for all parties, but at least what happened is what's best for the team.

StealingSigns
10-20-2010, 04:22 AM
Dude sounds bitter. I predict a (another?) fallout between the Jays and Cito, it's clear they only interviewed Baylor to appease Cito and it sounds like both of those guys thought he had a legit shot at the job. A crappy situation for all parties, but at least what happened is what's best for the team.

If Cito knows whats good for him, he will suck it up.

BlueJayFanDan
10-20-2010, 05:13 AM
I just want a damn manager already lol. Hope we get our guy soon.

Bob_at_york
10-20-2010, 09:57 AM
If Cito knows whats good for him, he will suck it up.

i truly wonder what Cito's job is going to be going further. What is his responsibility?

fatkev78
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Two Red Sox coaches -- bench coach DeMarlo Hale and pitching coach John Farrell -- appear to be on the short list of finalists for the Toronto Blue Jays' managerial job, according to an industry source.

A decision is expected by early next week at the latest,

Both Hale and Farrell have interviewed for the post three times - by phone and in person. Cleveland Indians first-base coach Sandy Alomar Jr. is also said to be on the team's list of finalists.

http://www.csnne.com/10/20/10/Source-Red-Sox-coaches-Hale-Farrell-amon/v1_landing_redsox.html?blockID=335221&feedID=3352

T.O. Fan
10-20-2010, 02:20 PM
At this point I hope it's Hale.

It's actually no surprise that the Jays look like they're going to hire a guy with lesser MLB experience given that AA wants to have a hand in who the rest of the coaching staff is. Most established guys want to bring in their own people.

town123
10-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm really surprised that Ryne Sandberg hasn't been mentioned.

StayOnBoard
10-20-2010, 04:52 PM
At this point I hope it's Hale.

It's actually no surprise that the Jays look like they're going to hire a guy with lesser MLB experience given that AA wants to have a hand in who the rest of the coaching staff is. Most established guys want to bring in their own people.

This is true - I think that's why Valentine wasn't even really that much of a consideration.

I also hope Hale gets it and I really think he does. Any of these guys are good choices in my opinion. Francona is a winner so learning from him can only be good.... Sandy Alomar I've always liked, and I always thought he'd make a good coach someday.

So we'll see soon enough fellas' - my money's on Hale

Gibby
10-20-2010, 05:00 PM
i would hope John Farrell gets the job, he has done well with pitchers like Buchholz, Lester, Papelbon, so hopefully he can do the same with guys like drabek and stewart. Also he was director of player developement with the indians (2001-2006), which should be good since we have a young team.

wamco
10-20-2010, 07:12 PM
alomar, farrell and hale are the final 3

jaysfan4ever
10-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Clint Hurdle is an intriguing possibility. There was some speculation this past week that the Jays have an eye on someone whose team was still playing in the post season.

He would be the one guy with postseason experience. A manager who's been with power-hitting teams would be a good guy to have as our manager. Dunno if I like having a rookie manager.

GNick
10-21-2010, 08:37 AM
i would hope John Farrell gets the job, he has done well with pitchers like Buchholz, Lester, Papelbon, so hopefully he can do the same with guys like drabek and stewart. Also he was director of player developement with the indians (2001-2006), which should be good since we have a young team.

Farrell be one of my favorites also. He comes from a winning organization and has worked successfully with young players before. Both are two things I would be looking for if I am Anthropoulos. But I do admit not knowing much about the others.

Gibby
10-21-2010, 09:01 AM
now Brian Butterfield seems to be in the mix also. so now 4 finalist.

According to an industry source, Blue Jays’ third base coach Brian Butterfield is one of the four finalists for the Toronto managerial opening. Butterfield, 52, a native of Maine who still lives in the state, has also served as the Jays’ bench coach during his nine-season tenure with the Jays. He has managerial experience in the minor leagues in the Yankees’ organization.

Others identified as finalists for the Jays’ job (which was held by Cito Gaston for the past 2 1/2 seasons) are Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale, Sox pitching coach John Farrell, and Sandy Alomar Jr., the Indians’ first-base coach. Neither Butterfield or representatives from the Blue Jays’ organization were available for comment.

Link (http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2010/10/21/theres-a-fourth-finalist-for-the-blue-jays-job-brian-butterfield/)

Eagles4Lyfe
10-21-2010, 11:22 AM
i rather take one of the redsox guys away:p

ryhno
10-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Would this work out where all 3 get hired ?

Hale - Manager
Farrell - Pitching Coach
Alomar Jr. - Hitting Coach

That would be interesting...

RapsPlayoffPush
10-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Alomar

Twitchy
10-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Hale - Manager
Farrell - Pitching Coach

I don't think they'd get rid of Walton at pitching coach for Farrell. It's been said somewhere that one of the criteria for hiring a manager is that they keep Walton on as pitching coach.

Eagles4Lyfe
10-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Who would be the better candidate hale or farrel??
Im happy with our pitching coach to dont want to change him but i think our hitting will be different too now that we dont have cito

FlakeyFool
10-21-2010, 01:34 PM
I want the guy with experience, no learning on the job bs.

BlueJayFanDan
10-21-2010, 02:52 PM
I think Hale seems like the best fit. I have always liked Alomar too. Tough call on who it should be.

Gibby
10-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Hale - Manager
Farrell - Pitching Coach

I dont think they would leave their organization unless its for a promotion.

Gibby
10-21-2010, 04:51 PM
i intially said farrell but thats because i thought the new manager would have his own staff. but if Walton is staying then i would go with Hale or Alomar. I would go with Alomar because cathcers make good managers but alomar has less experience than others. I would be okay whoever AA chooses. But as long as they get rid of Murphy as the hitting coach.

juanguzman
10-21-2010, 06:14 PM
pgammo

Three GMs today insisted John Farrell will get the Toronto job. The final list was the product of exhaustive, thoughtful due diligence

StayOnBoard
10-21-2010, 06:22 PM
My apologies if this has already been posted

Three MLB executives told Peter Gammons Thursday that Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell will be awarded the Blue Jays' managerial gig.

The Jays interviewed a ton of candidates for the job, including Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale, Indians first base coach Sandy Alomar Jr., Yankees third base coach Rob Thomson and Rays bench coach Dave Martinez. But Farrell stood out and has experience in the ever-tough American League East. An official announcement should come within a few weeks. Oct. 21 - 5:56 pm et

Gibby
10-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Im glad he got the job, he did alot of good as boston's pitching coach. i trust AA's decision.

jon32
10-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Didnt see a thread yet but just read this on the tsn site.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=338200

T.O.Bombinators
10-21-2010, 07:18 PM
in AA i trust

GNick
10-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Didnt see a thread yet but just read this on the tsn site.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=338200

Well, AA did a lot of work on this one. Hope it works out. Can't comment as judging managers is different than judging talent on the field.

StealingSigns
10-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Interesting choice. I have to admit, I thought it would have been Hale or Alomar Jr.

melmac
10-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I just hope that if in fact Farrell is named skipper he keeps Walton and lets him do his thing. Based on the pitching results of last year I would have to think he deserves to keep his job. Hopefully the pitching coach in Farrell doesnt change things.

Eagles4Lyfe
10-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Adds more talent to our pitching coaches..But dwayne murphy has to step it up a little now on his own as the lone pitching coach without cito there..Hopefully he does well, but its good we took away the redsox pitching coach away:P

papipapsmanny
10-21-2010, 11:44 PM
dam dude was an awesome pitching coach

nithanyo
10-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Now if we can get the rangers hitting coach we would be set

Jamiecballer
10-22-2010, 12:09 AM
can't say i know too much about Farrel but it always stood out to me when he came out to the mound as pitching coach he always seemed to be a commanding presence. i love the idea of having a great pitching coach added to the staff without losing our current pitching coach too. continuing to develop our great bunch of young arms is our best chance at contending in the near future.

Jamiecballer
10-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Now if we can get the rangers hitting coach we would be set

the hell with that. let's take the best coach from each of the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays. might be an easier way to contend than trying to match $.

nithanyo
10-22-2010, 12:15 AM
the hell with that. let's take the best coach from each of the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays. might be an easier way to contend than trying to match $.

Tru say. We would know all there flaws and talents and than use it against them. :D. i have a feeling we are gonna tee off on red sox pitching from now on

Jamiecballer
10-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Tru say. We would know all there flaws and talents and than use it against them. :D. i have a feeling we are gonna tee off on red sox pitching from now on

i'm sure this strategy of ours will trigger mad panic throughout the AL East. You keep your 200 million dollar payroll Yankees, let's see how you do without your 3rd base coach, *****es!

lovingTO
10-22-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm excited that a new manager has been chosen! Goodluck Farrell. Still don't really know much about this guy though.

2009mvp
10-22-2010, 02:10 AM
I didn't know Farrell was the Director of Player Development for the Indians from 01-06. Now I have no idea what a Director of Player Development does but considering the Indians were one of the elite farm systems in baseball right in the middle of his tenure it's gotta be encouraging.

I like the idea of a relatively young guy who was still playing not all that long ago. I'm anxious to hear him talk a little strategy and hopefully for him to bring in his own hitting coach.

2009mvp
10-22-2010, 02:39 AM
Just found this buried in a Keith Law chat:

Interesting rumor: If Butterfield doesn't get the Toronto gig, he goes to join Buck in Baltimore. Butterfield's a wizard with infielders and I'd make his first assignment fixing up Bell's defense.

No surprises there, I'm curious to see who Farrell's bringing with him.

papipapsmanny
10-22-2010, 05:49 AM

Ehh I doubt it (part about getting an advantage from Farrell against the Sox).

I will say he is a great hire for you (And I hate the Jays)

Dude came in 07, beckett did awesome 07-09, Lester, Clay, Bard. Dude knows things, and he is really settling especially when he visited the mound. He is big on teaching Lefties Cutters.

As a manager he should be very good for you all. He isn't a ******* or someone who looks scared.

JermanJaysFan
10-22-2010, 08:56 AM
I didn't know Farrell was the Director of Player Development for the Indians from 01-06. Now I have no idea what a Director of Player Development does but considering the Indians were one of the elite farm systems in baseball right in the middle of his tenure it's gotta be encouraging.

I like the idea of a relatively young guy who was still playing not all that long ago. I'm anxious to hear him talk a little strategy and hopefully for him to bring in his own hitting coach.

This.

And I found a article from 2005- a (http://bluejays.scout.com/2/350363.html)n interview with the Jay's DoPD Dick Scott. He sums the job up nicely:

InsideTheDome: What are the duties of the Director of Player Development?

Dick Scott: I am in charge of overseeing all the minor league players and staff, as well as move the players up and down the system. A big part of my job is evaluating player for JP regarding potential call-ups or trades. JP has input on what we are doing, and so does Tony Lacava. We have a number of people looking at our minor league guys and making decisions on them.

InsideTheDome: How much time do you spend on the road with each farm team?

Dick Scott: I visit all our full season teams about four times a year, and I am with them about three to four days per visit. The half season teams (Pulaski and Auburn) I usually see them about twice, and spend about three days with them as well. I head over to Toronto to see the Blue Jays play also, so basically about 100-110 days out of 150 days I am traveling on the road with the teams.

So from that info (assuming Farrel's role was similar), we can assume that Farrel would indeed have had a fairly large hand in the Indian's system's success.

Mile High Champ
10-22-2010, 09:13 AM
I think this team really needed an established name to take the next step. Unproven managers have been nothing but awful for us in the past, just once I wanted to see management make the right call and find an established managers with a past track record of success. Major let down for me as a jays fan.

FlakeyFool
10-22-2010, 09:20 AM
I think this team really needed an established name to take the next step. Unproven managers have been nothing but awful for us in the past, just once I wanted to see management make the right call and find an established managers with a past track record of success. Major let down for me as a jays fan.

this.

JermanJaysFan
10-22-2010, 10:38 AM

In my mind, this is really dumb. Established managers have to come from somewhere. By continuing to recycle the same "established" managers, all you get are guys that are out of date and out of touch. Cito was a proven manager. He won two WS, 4 division titles, and managed for 12 seasons.

The only way you get a big-time, all-star manager or whatever is by getting the next one.

Also- you said "to take the next step". The next step is to continue developing our players. That's why we got a player development manager. You're jaded if you think this team is good enough that all it needs is some big name manager to win. Yes, we did better than expected this year, but AA has made it clear that his plan (and its the right one) is to keep bringing young guys along and striking when the time is right.

StayOnBoard
10-22-2010, 11:18 AM
In my mind, this is really dumb. Established managers have to come from somewhere. By continuing to recycle the same "established" managers, all you get are guys that are out of date and out of touch. Cito was a proven manager. He won two WS, 4 division titles, and managed for 12 seasons.

The only way you get a big-time, all-star manager or whatever is by getting the next one.

Also- you said "to take the next step". The next step is to continue developing our players. That's why we got a player development manager. You're jaded if you think this team is good enough that all it needs is some big name manager to win. Yes, we did better than expected this year, but AA has made it clear that his plan (and its the right one) is to keep bringing young guys along and striking when the time is right.

Very well said :clap:

scotttube
10-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I like this hiring a lot. It isn't official yet because they are probably going through the formalities of a hiring plus going through who his coaching staff will be (probably a new bench coach, base coaches and possibly a new pitching coach).

rubeus
10-22-2010, 11:33 AM
AA says decision not made yet.

I think he may still have an eye on someone in the yankees or ranger organization.

Either that or he wants to wait until the lull before the world series to
make the annoucement.

juanguzman
10-22-2010, 12:07 PM
pgammo

Told I may be preamture on John Farrell , that Alex Anthropolous last night still considering Demarlo Hale. Decision very soon

Mile High Champ
10-22-2010, 12:19 PM

I disagree with you big time. Look at all the managers we have had over the last 10 years. Buck Martinez, John Gibbons, Carlos Tosca and Cito Gaston. 3 of those 4 guys were rookie managers. All 3 accomplished nothing in their tenure but an average track record. Why is it better to go after a rookie when are track record has been sub par in evaluating talent? I like AA but I certainly don't think he is going to find a diamond in the rough.

I think taking the next step is getting a manager with experience. The jays last year lost 10-15 game due to game managing and poor decisions. Why would a rookie manager fare well in improving our game managing? The answer is that he wouldn't. None of the guys we are interviewing have managed a game at the MLB level. I would of much rather had a manager that has the experience and is a terrific game manager. We have enough guys to develop our young talent in terms of our personel for pitching and hitting coaches. Enough with the so called young managers and how they relate better to younger players. All a bunch of BS!

GNick
10-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Just wondering...record of rookie managers doing well in majors? Can't think of any off top of my head. Not saying there wasn't...just can't think of many. Guys like Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa were canned some many times before getting it right

miller74
10-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Just wondering...record of rookie managers doing well in majors? Can't think of any off top of my head. Not saying there wasn't...just can't think of many. Guys like Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa were canned some many times before getting it right

Maddon is great in TB, Girardi had 1 solid year and FLA before winning a WS in NYY, Mike Scocia was a rookie when he took over the Angels. Its about the talent you have on the team, a manager is important but he has to have a solid team

JermanJaysFan
10-22-2010, 01:14 PM
I disagree with you big time. Look at all the managers we have had over the last 10 years. Buck Martinez, John Gibbons, Carlos Tosca and Cito Gaston. 3 of those 4 guys were rookie managers. All 3 accomplished nothing in their tenure but an average track record. Why is it better to go after a rookie when are track record has been sub par in evaluating talent? I like AA but I certainly don't think he is going to find a diamond in the rough.

I think taking the next step is getting a manager with experience. The jays last year lost 10-15 game due to game managing and poor decisions. Why would a rookie manager fare well in improving our game managing? The answer is that he wouldn't. None of the guys we are interviewing have managed a game at the MLB level. I would of much rather had a manager that has the experience and is a terrific game manager. We have enough guys to develop our young talent in terms of our personel for pitching and hitting coaches. Enough with the so called young managers and how they relate better to younger players. All a bunch of BS!
I can understand your thinking if you were one of the guys that was happy with Cito's decisions to have guys like veterans like Buck force young guys like Arencibia and Snider to ride the pine. If thats the approach you like, then you're right, a veteran, proven manager is the way to go.

Here's the scenarios as I see them.

Lets say we hire a big name manager. Say Bobby Cox. Bobby comes in. Plays the vets, manages the hell out of every game. Squad plays above their talent level thanks solely to his masterful management, and we still miss the playoffs because we're just not that good. After 3-4 years of 78-84 win seasons, either Cox gets disgruntled and resigns, or AA, feeling pressure from the media ("You hired this guy to win us ball games, and hes not!") fires him. A few young guns make it through to contribute on the MLB scene, a few get dealt to bring in more vets for Bobby. In 2014 we're in the same exact spot we were last year.

Say we hire John Farrel. Farrel comes in, and being a player development guy (and since he is AA's hire, thats surely the message being put in his ear), gives great opportunity and tutelage to the younger players. Jays drop off a bit from this years win total, but quite a few prospects come through the system to become contributors. Farrel makes some game-management mistakes in his first few years- what rookie doesn't make rookie mistakes? But by 2014 he is fully settled in, and he has a cohesive unit of younger players that have grown under his leadership. AA decides the time is right, makes a FA splash, and in 2015 we have a WS.

Even if in 2014 we decide Farrel isn't the guy to take the team to the top- manage his way through the playoffs or whatever, then you sack him and bring in your veteran to guide the ship there. But the point of this is that we're not on the brink of contention yet, so there is no use pretending we are by bringing in Joe Torre or whoever.

BC_13
10-22-2010, 01:51 PM
A guy named Cito Gaston got his first managerial job in 1989 and had some success for a team in Toronto. Joe Maddon got his first official managing job in 2008 with the Rays, a team very similar to the Jays right now. I think he's had some success. Joe Girardi has been a successful first time manager, especially his first year with the Marlins when his $20 million team competed for the wild card till the end. Ron Gardenhire had no managerial experience when he took over the Twins in 2002 and you could argue he has been the most consistent manager in all of baseball over the last 8 years with a team that continually competes despite at times dealing with payroll, the exit of big names, huge injuries, etc.

StayOnBoard
10-22-2010, 02:23 PM
I can understand your thinking if you were one of the guys that was happy with Cito's decisions to have guys like veterans like Buck force young guys like Arencibia and Snider to ride the pine. If thats the approach you like, then you're right, a veteran, proven manager is the way to go.

Here's the scenarios as I see them.

Lets say we hire a big name manager. Say Bobby Cox. Bobby comes in. Plays the vets, manages the hell out of every game. Squad plays above their talent level thanks solely to his masterful management, and we still miss the playoffs because we're just not that good. After 3-4 years of 78-84 win seasons, either Cox gets disgruntled and resigns, or AA, feeling pressure from the media ("You hired this guy to win us ball games, and hes not!") fires him. A few young guns make it through to contribute on the MLB scene, a few get dealt to bring in more vets for Bobby. In 2014 we're in the same exact spot we were last year.

Say we hire John Farrel. Farrel comes in, and being a player development guy (and since he is AA's hire, thats surely the message being put in his ear), gives great opportunity and tutelage to the younger players. Jays drop off a bit from this years win total, but quite a few prospects come through the system to become contributors. Farrel makes some game-management mistakes in his first few years- what rookie doesn't make rookie mistakes? But by 2014 he is fully settled in, and he has a cohesive unit of younger players that have grown under his leadership. AA decides the time is right, makes a FA splash, and in 2015 we have a WS.

Even if in 2014 we decide Farrel isn't the guy to take the team to the top- manage his way through the playoffs or whatever, then you sack him and bring in your veteran to guide the ship there. But the point of this is that we're not on the brink of contention yet, so there is no use pretending we are by bringing in Joe Torre or whoever.

Again, really well said... for the record I can also see where the other guy is coming from... but this is my opinion as well.

Neither opinion is "wrong or right" - but I'm going to trust who AA gives the job to because frankly I think he's done a fantastic job so far so why not trust him now?

I think the comparison to Cito was great. Everyone complained on why snider is batting 9th, why JPA isn't getting any at-bats when Buck is a free agent, etc, etc. This is moves "veteran" managers make.... I'm tired of such moves to be honest.

As others have said - guys like Girardi were first time managers and did very well for themselves. I would rather take a chance on a young guy than on a guy like Bobby Valentine - even though I dont think Valentine would have been a bad choice.

Again - just my personal opinion.

2009mvp
10-22-2010, 02:33 PM

First off that's an insane number. Secondly, weren't those decisions being made by a 'manager with experience?' I'd say Cito's 900+ wins certainly qualify him as that. I have no idea why a veteran has to be better at managing a game than a newcomer, in fact, I'd argue it's the other way around. The old grizzly managers are the ones who live by the sac bunt and the stolen base and would rather put the game on the shoulders of mediocre veterans than younger more talented players. They're set in their ways. That experience counts when you're talking about the behind the scenes aspect of managing, but the truth is managing a baseball game outs 1 through 27 just isn't that difficult.

BlueJayFanDan
10-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Stealing someone from the Sox organization whether it be Hale or Farrell will be awesome.

StayOnBoard
10-22-2010, 03:21 PM
First off that's an insane number. Secondly, weren't those decisions being made by a 'manager with experience?' I'd say Cito's 900+ wins certainly qualify him as that. I have no idea why a veteran has to be better at managing a game than a newcomer, in fact, I'd argue it's the other way around. The old grizzly managers are the ones who live by the sac bunt and the stolen base and would rather put the game on the shoulders of mediocre veterans than younger more talented players. They're set in their ways. That experience counts when you're talking about the behind the scenes aspect of managing, but the truth is managing a baseball game outs 1 through 27 just isn't that difficult.

This is so incredibly accurate... In the NL - I'd say its a bit harder... double switch, the pitcher batting, etc.

But this isn't like the NFL where schemes are put against one another. In baseball - I really don't think there's that much "managing" done to record those outs - exactly how you describe it here.

All I care about is...
1) Will our young kids get time to play or will the coach be a stubborn mule "a la Cito" and let guys rot on the bench?
2) Can he manage our players and get the absolute most out of this group?

If the answer is yes to both of these, I frankly don't care who gets the job.

Jamiecballer
10-22-2010, 03:40 PM

i highlighted a sentence i found a little humorous (confusing?) in your post. if i understand correctly, you think the Jays lost 10-15 games due to in-game managing (a claim i find kind of humorous in itself, honestly) and lay the blame at the feet of exactly the kind of manager you are advocating as Cito's replacement - a recycled veteran!

you also question why a rookie manager would improve the in-game managing side of things - but really in-game managing is something that you could basically write a computer program to do, it's not something that really requires managerial experience but rather comes from a thorough understanding of the game and the ability to make quick decisions. years of managerial experience don't play much of a factor in this side of the game IMO. where the experience often shows up is in the ability to manage ego's and teach, two areas that i think you are seriously shortchanging Cito on.

damn it 2009 you stole my thunder

ah nuts
10-22-2010, 05:17 PM

I kinda agree.

I believe it's more about preparing your players mentally for 160 games for a manager. A sign of a good (trusted)manager is when he pulls a pitcher and doesn't get shown up.

Ie. seems like a lot of people trust AA, even if one or 2 decisions does not pan out. He is trusted and respected.

T.O. Fan
10-22-2010, 05:50 PM
More on Farrell and Hale as potential Jays manager by Gammons:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2010/10/22/gammons-on-big-show-sox-very-worried-about-losing-farrell/

GNick
10-22-2010, 06:50 PM
I listed to WEEI once in awhile. I dislike Red Sox fans as I find them arrogant. But they are knowledgeable baseball guys. Many are calling in saying they hope we take Farrell away. They point to failure of many veterans on their staff in recent years. Not sure if it traditional Red Sox fans being obnoxious or they really know what they are talking about.

Gibby
10-22-2010, 06:53 PM
More on Farrell and Hale as potential Jays manager by Gammons:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2010/10/22/gammons-on-big-show-sox-very-worried-about-losing-farrell/

its seems like AA has a hard decision between Hale and Farrell

Gibby
10-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Update: DeMarlo Hale has been told he is no longer in the running for the job, according to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com (on Twitter). That means it's down to John Farrell and Brian Butterfield.

well this contradicting because its between Farrell and Butterfield. but the common name is Farrell.

T.O. Fan
10-22-2010, 08:05 PM
^^^Yup, it's gotta be Farrell.

I also read a report that said that Butterfield may go to Baltimore (3B Coach) if he doesn't get the job. Will try to find the link.

Edit: Here it is http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/10/butterfield_still_in_blue_jays.html

DiehardJaysFan
10-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Do pitching coaches make good managers? I like how it sounds like the front office is debating, and it sounds like everyone but AA is on the other side. At least he is willing to listen to his assistants.

Eagles4Lyfe
10-22-2010, 08:50 PM
ya i heard on fan too its between farrell and butterfield but i highly doubt itll be butterfield in all honesty

StayOnBoard
10-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I listed to WEEI once in awhile. I dislike Red Sox fans as I find them arrogant. But they are knowledgeable baseball guys. Many are calling in saying they hope we take Farrell away. They point to failure of many veterans on their staff in recent years. Not sure if it traditional Red Sox fans being obnoxious or they really know what they are talking about.

Its probably "half right", meaning Im sure they probably blame Farrell for their pitching staff's demise. But - i dont think he can be accountable for having Dice K run out of gas or Beckett having an off year (for the record, I say he's done - but that's another topic).

I think its better to look at what he HAS done... such as bringing guys like Bucholtz, Paplebon and Baird along. Not to mention he's a great scout of talent as when he was scouting with the Indians he brought up some very good players.

I trust AA because I think he's building a winner. If he thinks Farrell is our guy - then Im all for it. Im not sure what to make of Butterfield's involvement. Personally - I dont like it, if nothing else because I'd rather go in a new direction. But - AA was a "pupil" of JP Riccardi and those two are nothing alike. So, we'll see... I won't like the Butterfield decision if that's what happens but Ill accept it until proven otherwise.

For the record - I can't see it being anyone apart from Farrell right now.

Gibby
10-22-2010, 09:34 PM
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell has been offered the job and needs only to come to agreement on a contract to become the manager of the Toronto Blue Jays, multiple industry sources said.

LINK (http://www.csnne.com/10/22/10/Multiple-sources-Farrell-offered-Blue-Ja/v1_landing_redsox.html?blockID=337136&feedID=3352)

looks like its Farrell's job now, its only a matter of time before its official

Gibby
10-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Its probably "half right", meaning Im sure they probably blame Farrell for their pitching staff's demise. But - i dont think he can be accountable for having Dice K run out of gas or Beckett having an off year (for the record, I say he's done - but that's another topic).

I think its better to look at what he HAS done... such as bringing guys like Bucholtz, Paplebon and Baird along. Not to mention he's a great scout of talent as when he was scouting with the Indians he brought up some very good players.

I trust AA because I think he's building a winner. If he thinks Farrell is our guy - then Im all for it. Im not sure what to make of Butterfield's involvement. Personally - I dont like it, if nothing else because I'd rather go in a new direction. But - AA was a "pupil" of JP Riccardi and those two are nothing alike. So, we'll see... I won't like the Butterfield decision if that's what happens but Ill accept it until proven otherwise.

I agree with you cant blame Dice-K and Beckett on Farrell. But they were also blaming Lackey and Colon on Farrell which i think isnt fair either. Colon was washed up when he went to the red sox. I think lackey's numbers were a bit high but that should have been expected playing in the AL east.

StayOnBoard
10-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I agree with you cant blame Dice-K and Beckett on Farrell. But they were also blaming Lackey and Colon on Farrell which i think isnt fair either. Colon was washed up when he went to the red sox. I think lackey's numbers were a bit high but that should have been expected playing in the AL east.

Colon? He was signed to a minor league deal with almost ZERO expectations. It would have taken a miracle to make him good again... The guy is done.

As for Lackey - I always thought that was a bad signing. I told my buddy whos a huge Sox fan when it happened they'd regret it, and so far Im right (then again, he disagrees and thinks Lackey is good).

Boston has ALWAYS had good pitching - at least recently. But lately, they've always been good and pitching has always been a strong point. I very much like this move if it goes through. Farrell or Hale was really the best choice all along out of the candidates they interviewed IMO and Im glad it came down to those two.

That said - I really wish Thompson or Foley got more of a look but I really can't complain given it seems the Jays made a really solid move here.

jaysfan55
10-23-2010, 12:44 AM
I just hope he keeps Murphy and the pitching coach...

Gibby
10-23-2010, 02:52 AM
I just hope he keeps Murphy and the pitching coach...

i hope he gets rid of murphy. his mentality of OBP doesnt matter is just stupid.

GNick
10-23-2010, 05:50 AM

One caller seemed to focus on Papelbon and his 8 blown saves. He was saying JP not the same since a game against the Yankees on May 15th, but not being a Red Sox fan I didn't know situation he was talking about.

Hope new manager and Walton are on same page if it is Farrell. Walton done a great job so far

Nofear
10-23-2010, 06:15 AM

Just a few things,

First as several have pointed out, 10-15 games lost by poor managing is a little off don't you think? That would put the team close to 100 wins which this team was not going to do with any manager in the league.

Second, you named off three rookie manager as part of your arguement. Did you think for one second when these guys were hired, it was because they were the next great manager? Me either. Everyone knows these guys got the job because they were cheap and would actually take the job. I don't think comparing the search that when into this manager, the class of candiates or the money that will be spent is anything like it was for Gibbons, Tosca or Buck.

Lastly, though I don't think your entirely wrong with hiring a veteran manager and the point isn't as wild as some guy made it out to be, I don't think there's any available vet managers that A) fit the team and B) would come here first. Some of the guys interviewed that fit your bill were Valentine, Baylor, and Wedge. The only one who I would have been happy with was Wedge and he said no.

Having said that, who exactly would you have wanted a a new vet manager? I'm scouring the league and anyone that fits the team is hired into a much better spot than the Jays can offer. There is no sense hiring a vet manager if it isn't going to lead anywhere and thats exactly where Valentine and Baylor would have taken us; nowhere.

Twitchy
10-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I think it's somewhat ironic that people want a big name, experienced manager when our last successful manager was none other than Cito. And how much managing experience did he have back in the 80/90s when he first started off?

nstojic
10-23-2010, 09:15 AM
a report out of Boston on Friday night said Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell had been offered the job.

According to Comcast SportsNet New England, citing multiple sources, the sides need only to agree on a new contract. Earlier, reports said both Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale and Cleveland Indians first base coach Sandy Alomar Jr., had been told they were out of the running.

The status of Blue Jays third base coach Brian Butterfield remained uncertain, although a news conference is expected Monday or Tuesday during the gap between the league championship series and the World Series.

If Farrell is indeed the retired Cito Gaston's replacement, it would bring to a close a thorough and exhaustive process that began in August with GM Alex Anthopoulos and his staff combing through all 30 organizations to examine prospective candidates.

They whittled down those names into an interview list of at least 15 men, but possibly more given the secretive nature of the process.

Anthopoulos is believed to have narrowed the field down to the four finalists in the middle of this week, and wanted a decision made by Friday in order to give the new manager time to start building his coaching staff.

The Blue Jays are expected to ask that pitching coach Bruce Walton be retained but the future of the rest of the staff is up in the air, although each is guaranteed a job within the organization.

Butterfield may be the most interesting case, described by one player as someone who definitely needed to be brought back. But having been passed up for the manager's job despite being on staff since 2002, he may feel a change is needed to further his career, and he is thought to have a third base coach's job waiting for him in Baltimore under close friend Buck Showalter.

Farrell has strong backing in the Blue Jays front office from assistant GM Tony LaCava, who was the national crosschecker for the Indians in 2002 while Farrell served as Cleveland's director of player development.

His work included overseeing the team's Latin American programs in Venezuela and the Dominican Republic, a new point of emphasis for the Blue Jays under Anthopoulos. Another is player development, in which Farrell will also be well schooled, and he is well positioned to mould the club's most important asset — young pitching.http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/article/880177--blue-jays-offer-farrell-manager-position-according-to-report?bn=1

Eagles4Lyfe
10-24-2010, 12:29 AM
i think i saw press conference is going to happen on tuesday to announce this

rubeus
10-25-2010, 11:08 AM
annoncement today at 3:30pm

StayOnBoard
10-25-2010, 02:32 PM
The Blue Jays hired John Farrell as manager.

Farrell becomes the 12th skipper in franchise history. He was with the Red Sox as a pitching coach from 2007-2010 and ran the Indians' player development department when that club brought up some serious talent in the early 2000s. It's a great hire, and Farrell should do well with the quality youngsters in Toronto's starting rotation. No contract terms were released. Oct. 25 - 1:41 pm et

It's official (this is via Rotoworld)

Farsight
10-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Apparently Bruce Walton and Brian Butterfield are coming back!. Those were probably two of the people i wanted back

ah nuts
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
oh crap - he starting to remind me of G. W. Bush :facepalm:

Bob_at_york
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Apparently Bruce Walton and Brian Butterfield are coming back!. Those were probably two of the people i wanted back

That is good news. It is good that there are no hard feelings.

Gibby
10-25-2010, 03:56 PM
great move and even better that jays were able to bring back Butterfiled and Walton

Gibby
10-25-2010, 03:56 PM
oh crap - he starting to remind me of G. W. Bush :facepalm:

who are you talking about?

ah nuts
10-25-2010, 05:07 PM
who are you talking about?

farrel

god I hope I'm way off, but I'm watching the telecast and wondering why does his mannerisms look so familiar - then bingo.

is farrel from texas? (maybe most there have those mannerisms? )

Gibby
10-25-2010, 05:43 PM
farrel

god I hope I'm way off, but I'm watching the telecast and wondering why does his mannerisms look so familiar - then bingo.

is farrel from texas? (maybe most there have those mannerisms? )

i dont think he is from texas. he was born in new jersey and played at the oklahoma state university. I dont see any resemblence in his mannerism. I think your nitpicking. Even if he does have some mannerism, they are very subtle and you shouldnt be worried about that. what i noticed was some of the good points he made:

he wanted build a more complete offence
He wanted use the speed to score more ways
He identified the young pitching as a strength
He said he will play with what roster he has
He was well spoken and fluent
He didnt have the look like he was staring directly into the sun

ah nuts
10-25-2010, 05:50 PM
i dont think he is from texas. he was born in new jersey and played at the oklahoma state university. I dont see any resemblence in his mannerism. I think your nitpicking. Even if he does have some mannerism, they are very subtle and you shouldnt be worried about that. what i noticed was some of the good points he made:

he wanted build a more complete offence
He wanted use the speed to score more ways
He identified the young pitching as a strength
He said he will play with what roster he has
He was well spoken and fluent
He didnt have the look like he was staring directly into the sun

for sure. agreed

2009mvp
10-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Just unoriginal manager-speak, I hope. Would have been nice if he addressed the need to get on base, rather than talking about using speed when there is very little of that currently on the roster.

town123
10-25-2010, 06:17 PM
As long as he doesn't stifle what little major league prospects we have on the roster ( Arencibia & Snider ) then I'm happy.

Eagles4Lyfe
10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Just unoriginal manager-speak, I hope. Would have been nice if he addressed the need to get on base, rather than talking about using speed when there is very little of that currently on the roster.

i think he did i was listening on the radio and he was saying we cant always expect to patiently wait for a 3 run homerun..Instead we must focus on getting base more and forgot what else he added to it but he did mention getting on base

Halladay
10-25-2010, 06:40 PM
John Henry(owner of the Sox)

"He will be an effective, excellent manager. I expect him to manage in MLB for as long as he wants to," Henry wrote. "He’s going to an excellent young team with a strong and smart hierarchy. The Blue Jays are going to be a force in the AL East for some time to come."

"The Jays are getting a great baseball man and a great person,’’ he added. “We were able to keep John as a part of our organization longer than a couple of other teams would have wanted, but it really is time for John to step up to the next level."

Dol-Fan
10-25-2010, 06:58 PM

He actually mentioned quite adamantly at the presser that he wants the guys to start getting on base and manufacturing runs.

fatkev78
10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Wow, from the quote Butter made a few days ago I thought he was a goner - great news he's sticking around. I'm glad Walton is staying, but that is much less of a surprise.
Some points he made that I really liked:
- stressed OBP
- no more waiting around for the 3 run bomb
- isn't going to micro manage Walton

2009mvp
Oh, good. I was just going off of Gibby's notes. Hopefully that translates to a new hitting coach.

Gibby
One thing that was interesting about Farrell was that he turned down interview for alot of others jobs. It seems he really likes the current team and the talent the team has.

also when asked to rank the starters 1-4. He said if its based on pure stuff Morrow or Romero would be 1. But he was impressed with Marcum's competitiveness. also he said Brett Cecil would be in the 4th spot.

Gibby
10-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Oh, good. I was just going off of Gibby's notes. Hopefully that translates to a new hitting coach.

i only watched the short clip on bluejays.com at first and listed some of the points. i am listening to the whole interview now and he talks about alot more stuff including the importance OBP.

2009mvp
10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
^^Is it up on the Fan website? I'd like to check it out as well.

Gibby
10-25-2010, 09:54 PM
^^Is it up on the Fan website? I'd like to check it out as well.

ya it was pretty interesting. he also mentions that he is familar with sabremetrics and it could be useful. I like he is up to date unlike cito.

1hardcore
10-26-2010, 01:29 AM
OKay so Walton and Butterfield are gonna be back ..... but what about Dwayne Murphy???? I want him back too!!!

BlueJayFanDan
10-26-2010, 03:46 AM
I am pretty excited about Farrel. I would have rather had Hale probably but Farrell will be good for us.

Gibby
10-26-2010, 06:33 AM
OKay so Walton and Butterfield are gonna be back ..... but what about Dwayne Murphy???? I want him back too!!!

they said they havent made the decision on the other coaches but they will be talking to all the staff soon.

T.O. Fan
10-26-2010, 06:41 AM
they said they havent made the decision on the other coaches but they will be talking to all the staff soon.

IMO, the Jays have to let Farrell select some of his own staff.

On the Jays website it says that Omar Malave was appointed the 1B coach for the 2010 season?

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/team/coach_staff_bio.jsp?c_id=tor&coachorstaffid=492506

I doubt Leyva and possibly Murphy will be back.

Gibby
10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
IMO, the Jays have to let Farrell select some of his own staff.

On the Jays website it says that Omar Malave was appointed the 1B coach for the 2010 season?

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/team/coach_staff_bio.jsp?c_id=tor&coachorstaffid=492506

I doubt Leyva and possibly Murphy will be back.

AA said that Farrell will get to choose his own staff but he will still talk to all the old members. I dont think Murphy will be back since their philosphies differ.

Bob_at_york
10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
At the end of the following article they claim that the terms of the deal have not been disclosed: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Farrell-as-Blue-Jays-skipper-brings-talk-of-Mann;_ylt=AiHe6YIQOXH58P34MlV5TWlShgM6?urn=mlb-279879

How long is Farrell's deal? Does anyone know?

StayOnBoard
10-26-2010, 04:07 PM
At the end of the following article they claim that the terms of the deal have not been disclosed: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Farrell-as-Blue-Jays-skipper-brings-talk-of-Mann;_ylt=AiHe6YIQOXH58P34MlV5TWlShgM6?urn=mlb-279879

I read on rotoworld it was 3 years

Nofear
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
I like the Farrell hiring for many reasons but especially because he's a former pitcher. I think Cito's biggest weakness was handling a staff like leaving guys in for too long or taking them out too soon.

I think this is something that has plagued the Jays for years and I'm sure Farrell will make a big difference

town123
10-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I like the Farrell hiring for many reasons but especially because he's a former pitcher. I think Cito's biggest weakness was handling a staff like leaving guys in for too long or taking them out too soon.

I think this is something that has plagued the Jays for years and I'm sure Farrell will make a big difference

Couldn't agree more. If he lets the kids play that would be a bonus too. ( Arencibia & Snider)

Gibby
10-26-2010, 07:29 PM

AA said he has said he wont be releasing the terms of the deal and he says he does this with alot of the front office staff. He said it causes unneccessary speculation. But he understands it can leak somehow.

fatkev78
10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
FWIW:

John Farrell signed 3-yr deal to manage the Blue Jays.

http://twitter.com/elliottbaseball/status/28754915349

StealingSigns
10-27-2010, 05:54 AM
But what matters is the substance. Farrell has turned down other shots at managerial jobs before, citing a personal unreadiness and the wrong situation. So maybe it says something about John Farrell that he considers this job and this franchise the right one, caught as it is between the sport's great ocean liners, and Tampa Bay besides.

"At the right time -- and this is where the conversations got very pointed with Alex -- at the right time there is going to be the ability to support a very strong payroll, and one that will allow us to compete at the highest level," Farrell said.

http://www.nationalpost.com/Only+good+roster/3726649/story.html

Also, numerous reports he told his ex-teamate, Pat Tabler, in September that he turned down several interviews and that the Toronto is where he wanted to manage.

nithanyo
10-27-2010, 10:40 AM
^^ So even the managers believe that payroll will be higher when we are ready to compete.... which is a good thing