PDA

View Full Version : Bucher on Staphylococcus, Grant Hill

bholly
10-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Ric Bucher has posted an article about staphyloccocus infections in sports. It's eye-opening, to say the least.

Staph infections are credited in the article for a finger injury to Paul Pierce and toe injury to Delonte, both four years ago, and time on the bench for Rudy Gay, Shane Battier, Kenyon Martin, and others. Chris Kaman has a permanent divot in his leg from a staph infection.
One kid (not a pro athlete) spent 50 days in intensive care, a month of which was in a coma, and then had his leg amputated, from a staph infection which they believe was caused by a contaminated cleat to the ankle.
A pro skater lost all but 15% of the vision on his left eye, and all vision in his right, after picking it up in a fall at a skatepark.

Here's a bit about prevalence in the NFL:

Among the major sports leagues, the NFL has had the most reported cases of MRSA: 33 were reported league-wide from 2006 to 2008, according to a team physicians' survey. But as Carter's experience suggests, it's a good bet not every case was reported. Brady nearly missed the 2009 season because of his infection, yet to this day neither he nor the Patriots has acknowledged he had MRSA, much less talked about what he's doing now to avoid another bout. The Browns have had at least five MRSA infections, but when one of the infected, Kellen Winslow Jr., accused the team of covering up the threat, the tight end was reprimanded and was going to be suspended, until he appealed. He was soon traded. Colts quarterback Peyton Manning had a knee infection that required the removal of a bursa sac. The Colts have said only that it wasn't MRSA. "That's something I don't think Peyton wants to discuss," says a Colts spokesman.

And, most importantly, assorted bits about Grant Hill:

I think people just don't understand," says Suns forward Grant Hill. "It will take the death of someone young and high-profile for us to take it as seriously as we should. We haven't had our Rock Hudson yet."

Hill was nearly that someone. After two injury-plagued seasons with the Magic, he underwent reconstructive ankle surgery in the spring of 2003 at Duke University Hospital. Recouping in Orlando, he felt achy and worn out. On Day 4, he went into shock and began to convulse. He thrashed in his seat, eyes wide with panic, as his wife, Tamia, sped him to the emergency room.

Doctors suspected staph-induced blood clots in his chest and placed him in a hyperbaric chamber. But when Hill unwrapped the bandages around his ankle, he found a gaping hole at the site of the incision. He sent a cell-phone photo of the wound to his doctors in Durham, and they had him fly back right away. For the next six weeks they pumped him with heavy doses of vancomycin and grafted skin from his arm over the gap. At the end of the ordeal, Hill was ready to retire rather than risk future hospital visits. "I thought if I got hurt again and had to get another surgery, I could die," he says.

Hill is an anti-MRSA advocate now, but at the time of his illness he didn't explain why a projected five-month recovery stretched to 16. People just assumed his ankle wasn't sound, and he was content to let them. Admitting his body had betrayed him, while not knowing how or why, was simply too difficult. "I didn't talk to my friends about it, much less the media," says Hill. "I was too scarred by the experience."

This is maybe the most eye-opening NBA story I've read all year.
It's in Insider, so not everyone can read it, but for those who can the link is here:
http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/insider/news/story?id=5706900

Highly recommended.

MacFitz92
10-21-2010, 09:05 AM
ESPN Insider :no:, but thanks for the read :)

bholly
10-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Is insider not allowed?
I read the NBA forum rules sticky, and the main PSD forum rules, and didn't see anything about it. Mods will deal with it if it's against the rules, I guess.

Teufelshunde4
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Good article in OP!! A person doesnt have to be an athlete to get MRSA.. My wifes 21 yr old Nephew came down with "virus" like symptoms. Fours days later he is dead from MRSA.. The day they put him in the ground was the day he graduated from U of Illinois..

Have read where some think MRSA is from people and businesses dumping unused antibiotics down the toleit and into the general water supply.. Thus helping bacteria develop a resistance to antibiotics.

king4day
10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I don't have a problem with the post since it's only a small sampling of the article.
If other mods do, then let me know for the future.

Kinda surprised such an important issue is on insider.

sep11ie
10-21-2010, 10:16 AM
ESPN does reporting?

pistonsfanomg
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I have staph

daleja424
10-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Putting this ariticle on insider is disgusting. This is a good piece of journalism here, and silly espn puts it in the paid part of its site. sighhhhh.

I agree with king4day... I dont have a problem with the way this was posted...snippets of the article with a link to the full paid artical.

sep11ie
10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I have herpies

Sorry bro!

Kiddin, yea, this should be open to the public. Don't really see why people would pay/go out of their way to read about an uncommon infection that few know about.

pistonsfanomg
10-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Sorry bro!

Kiddin, yea, this should be open to the public. Don't really see why people would pay/go out of their way to read about an uncommon infection that few know about.

lol nice edit

but yeah I get skin boils from time to time and they are no joke.

I play baseball btw in college Division I

sep11ie
10-21-2010, 12:56 PM
lol nice edit

but yeah I get skin boils from time to time and they are no joke.

I play baseball btw in college Division I

Cool. What position?

I'm past my time in baseball, so now I just wreck everyone at softball.

pistonsfanomg
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Cool. What position?

I'm past my time in baseball, so now I just wreck everyone at softball.

Oops Sorry for the late response

I play Left Field lol

and lol at the softball part