PDA

View Full Version : Another "Golden Boy" Thread for Durant, Sorry

Baller1
10-20-2010, 01:34 AM
DENVER -- No, Sports Illustrated isn't trying to sell more copies in Switzerland and Serbia by putting Thabo Sefolosha and Nenad Krstic on the cover with Oklahoma City star teammate Kevin Durant.

The magazine wanted Durant to pose for the cover of the Oct. 25 basketball preview issue, which hits newsstands Wednesday. The high-scoring forward said that was fine as long as he was joined on the cover by Sefolosha, a Swiss guard, and Krstic, a Serbian center.

"Yeah, basically I had to say it like that,'' Durant said before the Thunder's preseason game Tuesday at Denver.

Durant, regarded by many as the ultimate team player despite having led the NBA in scoring last season, didn't want to pose by himself. But why didn't he want to be joined by fellow Thunder top players Russell Westbrook and Jeff Green?

"Everybody knows about Jeff and Russell,'' Durant said.

So enter Sefolosha and Krstic, two guys people don't know much about. Well, actually folks did learn a bit more about Krstic last summer but it wasn't because of a positive situation. He was suspended for the first three games of the World Championship due to throwing a chair in a fight during an exhibition game against Greece.

But now, while Elvis Presley had the Jordanaires, Durant has Sefolosha and Krstic, whom he handpicked for Sports Illustrated and whom are in the background while Durant is on the foreground for the cover.

"People don't really know about them too much for some odd reason,'' said Durant, who didn't play against the Nuggets due to Thunder coach Scott Brooks giving him his first game off this preseason. "So it was good to have them in there with me ... People don't really talk about them too much, but they're playing a role. They're guys we have to have on this team. So I want everybody to know how much they're important to us and what great teammates they are. So it was the chance to voice my opinion, and I'm glad Sports Illustrated put them on the cover with me.''

For those still learning about the two, Sefolosha averaged 6.0 points last season while starting all 82 games and is a solid defender while Krstic averaged 8.4 points and 5.0 rebounds as a starter.

"That just shows K.D.'s character, him knowing that he's not doing it all by himself and he realizes it,'' Green said of Durant's choices for the cover. "He knows it's a team effort. To do that is big. You don't see a lot of guys who would do that, and it shows his character.''

If anybody knows Durant's character, it's Thunder general manager Sam Presti. He wasn't surprised by Durant's move.

"It speaks to Kevin as a teammate and as an individual,'' Presti said. "Clearly, he personifies a lot of the values we're striving to build with as an organization. That's appreciated by the guys he plays with.''

As for the Thunder, being on the cover of SI is further illustration the team hardly is a secret anymore. Oklahoma City went a surprising 50-32 last season, and gave the eventual champion Lakers quite a battle in the first round of the playoffs before falling 4-2.

Oklahoma City is now expected by many to advance in the playoffs next spring. Does that put any extra pressure on the team?

"For us, the pressure we put on ourselves is staying true to who we are, understanding that we have to continue to take steps forward and being able to stay consistent as we go through some good times and some tough times,'' Presti said. "For us to continue to improve, we can't just show up and play. It's going to have to happen on the practice court. We've got a long way to go before we're where we want to be.''

Stay tuned to see if there's any extra pressure on Sefolosha and Krstic now that a lot more people figure to be talking about them.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/19/kevin-durant-shows-why-he-is-ultimate-teammate-on-si-cover/

I don't even know how to describe my love for this kid anymore.

DerekRE_3
10-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Perfection. He's the Patrick Willis of the NBA.

Bullsfan22
10-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Yeah, that's um nice.

dnewguy
10-20-2010, 01:40 AM
I sure hope this guy doesn't love fruitloops because he's sweeter than Skittles. No homo, No Ellen.

John Walls Era
10-20-2010, 01:42 AM
KD is getting built up like crazy now.

I'm sure hes a great person and all that, but isn't that what some people thought of Lebron (not me, but there were those out there).

Baller1
10-20-2010, 01:47 AM
KD is getting built up like crazy now.

I'm sure hes a great person and all that, but isn't that what some people thought of Lebron (not me, but there were those out there).

Not to this extent. Durant is genuine, and it's pretty evident (to me at least).

shep33
10-20-2010, 01:52 AM
It's probably safe to say that he and Steve Nash are probably two of the most liked players in the league

_KB24_
10-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Ok, it seems that their are more threads on Durant focusing on his personality rather than his play.... :rolleyes:

We all get it, he's an angel, but let's talk basketball folks.

Don't be offended if anyone thinks I'm calling you out or anything, just letting a concern out.

GoatMilk
10-20-2010, 02:09 AM
^it's not like he sucks anyways

Baller1
10-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Ok, it seems that their are more threads on Durant focusing on his personality rather than his play.... :rolleyes:

We all get it, he's an angel, but let's talk basketball folks.

Don't be offended if anyone thinks I'm calling you out or anything, just letting a concern out.

It's preseason, there's not a lot of play to talk about as of now... Do you want me to make a thread about him getting 7 assists the other night?

AddiX
10-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Not gonna lie, never thought he would be as good as he is. I put him right up there with the top players in the league. And he is quickly proving to be a leader not many knew he was.

Gibby
10-20-2010, 02:22 AM
I like durant as well but we remember that its all subjective. we will believe what we want to believe. alot of us here and alot of people around basketball love this kid. so obviously we wont here much bad about him. but lets say we dont like a guy, we will nitpick and try to find something bad about him.

Htownballa1622
10-20-2010, 02:57 AM
I understand this is a great guy who is remarkably good.but honestly im just tired of hearing how awesome this guy is.probably just me. I hope he performs as well as everyone wants him to now that the thunder aren't being underestimated and he'll be with the spotlight on him. Idk I just think people are riding him a little too hard too soon.

TheHoopsProphet
10-20-2010, 03:37 AM
These deserves threads, because to top off his once in a lifetime talent and frame, he couples it with a once in a lifetime personality. Im tired about hearing players talk contract extensions, free agency, wanting to be traded, etc. I think durant is a better person than me. I mean seriously, when can you remember a top2-3 talent player in the nba be as grounded as him? He makes George Mikas look like Wilt Chamberlain

dodie53
10-20-2010, 04:38 AM
It's probably safe to say that he and Steve Nash are probably two of the most liked players in the league

but Nash is funnier.
;)

Carey
10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
I thought it was a little weird that Krstic and Sefolosha was on the cover, nice gesture by our leader.

sep11ie
10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Kevin Durant's voice is like a mixture o Fergie and Jesus.

Wilson
10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
That's awesome. I've been a fan of Thabo Sefolosha for a while, he's a guy I would have loved to have seen join the Lakers.

I don't know too much about Nenad Krstic, except that he looked good in New Jersey before blowing his knee out (or something).

mikantsass
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
what a ***

daleja424
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
meh... I like the dude... but what does this have to do with basketball?

Baller1
10-20-2010, 01:02 PM
meh... I like the dude... but what does this have to do with basketball?

They're NBA players on the cover of a sports magazine pertaining to the NBA preview edition.

Baller1
10-20-2010, 01:08 PM
That's awesome. I've been a fan of Thabo Sefolosha for a while, he's a guy I would have loved to have seen join the Lakers.

I don't know too much about Nenad Krstic, except that he looked good in New Jersey before blowing his knee out (or something).

Kristic is a good basketball player, but should not/will not be the starting center in the near future, pending Aldrich's development.

Sixerlover
10-20-2010, 01:29 PM
*more suckage* it's getting out of hand people. It really is.

shep33
10-20-2010, 01:29 PM
but Nash is funnier.
;)

Haha agreed. I think Nash is hillarious, he and Delonte West probably the 2 funniest players in the league

Baller1
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Haha agreed. I think Nash is hillarious, he and Delonte West probably the 2 funniest players in the league

Cousins is hilarious.

JLynn943
10-20-2010, 02:06 PM
All hail King Durant :worthy:

Nice gesture, but come on. Is there anyone on this board not ready and willing to have his children? It's kinda ridiculous how much hype he's getting. Although he has gotten better, he is still a very one-dimensional player - sort of like a slightly better Carmelo Anthony. Yet he is getting treated like the next Jordan (which we've seen repeatedly with other players). People will never learn.

Baller1
10-20-2010, 02:11 PM
All hail King Durant :worthy:

Nice gesture, but come on. Is there anyone on this board not ready and willing to have his children? It's kinda ridiculous how much hype he's getting. Although he has gotten better, he is still a very one-dimensional player - sort of like a slightly better Carmelo Anthony. Yet he is getting treated like the next Jordan (which we've seen repeatedly with other players). People will never learn.

I'm going to hold myself back this time, but damn that's just a blatantly ignorant statement.

Super.
10-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Another reason to love the kid. If only the Celtics would have gotten that pick...:sigh:

Imagine this big 3, Al Jefferson, Kevin Durant, and Chris Paul (Yes the Celtics had a deal in place to ship Pierce out for Paul in return)

tr4shb0t
10-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Dudes probably a serial rapist behind the scenes.

Typical cover story...

Mrphilly
10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
What does this have to do with basketball. Every thread is about Durant being the Next coming of Jesus and Lebron being the antichrist.

Most people don't know who sefo and Nenad is, but nor do they care. People are picking that Mag up for Durant and the NBA Preview. They still won't know who these guys are.

Durant is a great player, there is no need to make him a kitten loving, cookie baking, homless feeding, baby adopting, sick healing, water walking Golden child.

lavilevi23
10-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Durant is overrated.

hugepatsfan
10-20-2010, 02:47 PM
I hope the media doesn't pump him up to be the Golden Boy. That's what they did w/ Lebron and that's why I hate him. When a guy is hyped up as perfect (like Tebow, Lebron, Favre, etc.), that's when I get sick of him.

SteveNash
10-20-2010, 04:13 PM
This message has been deleted by Wilson. Reason: Off-topic - let's just stick to Kevin Durant for now...

Chacarron
10-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't see the point to this thread. It's not NBA related, if anything it should be in the Thunder forum. I like Durant but it is getting out of hand. I'm sure he will handle the media attention fairly well like he has done so far.

0nekhmer
10-20-2010, 04:33 PM
dang thats nice of him

Wade>You
10-20-2010, 05:02 PM
I hope the media doesn't pump him up to be the Golden Boy. That's what they did w/ Lebron and that's why I hate him. When a guy is hyped up as perfect (like Tebow, Lebron, Favre, etc.), that's when I get sick of him.Exactly. I guess people forgot about how Cavs/LBJ fans were rammin him down our throats for 7 years. People don't realize that players are often times hated because of the way their fans portray them and talk about them so often.

NYtilIdie
10-20-2010, 05:29 PM
He's the Tim Tebow of the NBA, except he's actually accomplished some things.

I really like Durant, but sadly like the saying goes "either die the hero or see yourself become the villain"

Wade>You
10-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Something tells me there's more to Durant, a side that we don't know about, than his PR crew lets on

http://hoopeduponline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/kevin_durant_tee.jpg

Next stop: photos of his pensi.

Htownballa1622
10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Haha.thunder fans and durants fans will say something to cover up that pic.^^^

ldawg
10-20-2010, 11:35 PM
What, Lebron is no longer the golden boy??? I guess thats what happen when a Mega star joins another mega stars team. Did everyone lost respect for Lebron??? I know all the pass greats did but did he lost respect of his peers too??

Jaji
10-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Why didn't he put Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook on there with him? The real answer is, he wanted to make himself look even better. It's like a cute chick with 2 fat friends. She only hangs out with them to make herself look even better. Selfish prick.

NPH
10-20-2010, 11:54 PM
He actually, genuinely seems like a nice person... I understand why others would get annoyed by him being "too nice", though.

NYtilIdie
10-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Why didn't he put Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook on there with him? The real answer is, he wanted to make himself look even better. It's like a cute chick with 2 fat friends. She only hangs out with them to make herself look even better. Selfish prick.

Please tell me this is sarcasm? They were on the cover of SLAM with him, please think before you type.

Proof (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs499.snc3/27240_380346311654_81781281654_3975515_3245708_s.j pg&imgrefurl=http://www.facebook.com/posted.php%3Fid%3D81781281654%26share_id%3D1049192 76212329%26comments%3D1&usg=__LOuiU1Kuu2ocgstX97QV1piKy78=&h=130&w=94&sz=8&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=dyk4PvHAkmIttM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=75&prev=/images%3Fq%3DKevin%2BDurant%2Bslam%2Bmagazine%26hl %3Den%26biw%3D1276%26bih%3D573%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Di sch:1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=297&ei=mKXATICAEoX0tgOfu5jvCw&oei=XqXATM6pPJO6sQOZs8jdCw&esq=5&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0&tx=36&ty=69)

the_jon
10-21-2010, 04:51 PM
kevvin derraNT iz teh greetest!!!!!111!