PDA

View Full Version : Predict Bad contracts given in 2010 FA.

xabial
10-20-2010, 12:51 AM
In 2010 The best Free agent class in NBA History the pool of talent was unbelievable. Many players received lucrative contracts including LeBron/Wade/Bosh who recieved less then Max and many others.
But This happens every season, where a player who had a great season and shows promise gets paid greatly and the team lives to regret his contract (Elton Brand for Example.) It seems to me a lot of disappointing contracts will come in 2010, simply because 2010 was the Year of the Free Agents. I felt that many players got overpaid. This isnt a jab at any team but predict which player will be considered a "bad" contract in the long run and wont be worth what he got paid in 2010.

- I think David Lee wont live up to his 6 year $80M deal (He was the Knicks best player but never put up Stats on a winning team, and is bad on defence)
- I think Brandon Haywood wont live up to his 6 year $55M Contract.
-Joe Johnson at 6 years $119M ( The Worst Contract in The Long Run, but he's got a couple of good years ahead of him)
- I dont think Channing Frye will Live to the 5 Year $30M Deal
-Darko's 4 year $20M seems overpaying for an underachieving Center.

Anyones i missed? Agree? Disagree?

MFFL==FML
10-20-2010, 12:55 AM
You missed Amare. He is incredibly over-paid and over-hyped, no where near the worth of his contract.

Oh wait, now I see why you forgot him... :rolleyes:

xabial
10-20-2010, 12:57 AM
You missed Amare. He is incredibly over-paid and over-hyped, no where near the worth of his contract.

Oh wait, now I see why you forgot him... :rolleyes:

Yea he's the Pre-seasons leading scorer. I know its Pre-season but thats a good sign. right?
He is x99999 Times better then David Lee, and does not hinder the Franchise in any way because Knicks can still Have room sign another Potential max Free Agent Next year even with Amare on the books. Their trying to trade for Carmelo. Imagine a Carmelo/Stadamire combo.. Still think it was a bad idea signing him? I would rather Amar'e then David Lee...

If you feel like he's ganna be bad feel free to put him up there. Everyone has his reasons. Im just interested to see which players people think got overpaid this off-season since it was a BIG offseason.

beardown78
10-20-2010, 01:15 AM
I say the 60million the Bulls gave Noah who's no more than an energy guy, average help defender, poor post defender and mediocre offesively.

tennisoscar1
10-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Brands going to own Amare first time you guys play us, just watch :)

Chacarron
10-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Amare was overpaid.

heatbb
10-20-2010, 08:11 AM
David Lee- Well he might've been overpaid but he's a terrific offensive player and the GS don't play any defense anyway so it doesn't really matter and he has good chances of living up to his contract.
Haywood-Just not worth a 6-yr deal, specially worth that much. Dallas is going to regret it.
Stoudamire- Not overpaid, his stats may not show it this year but he is going to have a big influence on the whole Knicks organisation.
Noah- Ten million Bulls fans are going to kill me, but he isn't worth his money.

Slimsim
10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Not one person mention Joe Johnson ?

NYKNYGNYY
10-20-2010, 08:41 AM
eveyones saying a'mare, but no joe johnson???????????

Antipod
10-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Milicic and JJ .. first names that come on my mind

The Miami Cheat
10-20-2010, 08:56 AM
joe johnson was wayyyyy overpaid and so is noah

Wilson
10-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Just a warning guys, please keep this clean. We've seen problems arise over arguments about who's overpaid and who isn't - I'm not going to give a lot of leeway if this one starts turning sour.

DLeeicious
10-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Rudy Gay

BOSTON617
10-20-2010, 09:09 AM
everyone was overpaid this year it feels like only a select few werent

jp611
10-20-2010, 09:26 AM
amare for sure... by the end of that contract he might not even be able to play on those knees anymore

NBAfan4life
10-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm going to say Chris Bosh not so much for his production, I have a feeling he is going to have trouble staying healthy. He is the Heats most important big which in turn is going to mean a lot of physical demand on his body

Patman
10-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Gay - Why jus Why? the Grizzlies had no competition and gave him nearly max money event though they just could have waited because he was a restricted free agent (i didn't see any other team that would pay more for him)
JJ - i mean the guy is nowhere near a mac Player but probably needed to keep him, because some other Team would also paid max.
Milicic - Hm 5 millions per year for him seems a bit much especially if you look around and realize that there was no interest in him from other teams. Did they fear that he would go back to europe?
Stoudemire - Sorry but you just don't Pay max for a one way player you just don't.

etc.

But this summer was set up to be a Summer where players could make way to much money because enough teems had cap space and it seems the owner even though they want a new CBA are quick to throw money at any player.

John Walls Era
10-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Amare. He may give you nice numbers for the first year, but hes injury prone and doesn't give it his all. Terrible contract.

newbs001
10-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Amare. He may give you nice numbers for the first year, but hes injury prone and doesn't give it his all. Terrible contract.

Seriously? Assuming you're a Wizards fan from your sig, what would you call the 6 year $111 Million extension the Wizards gave Arenas 2 years ago?

CubbySwag313
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
#1 is Joe Johnson
#2 Carlos Boozer and his injury prone self.....Tripped over a bag my ***!

But I still love my Bulls

jkcronyn
10-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I say the 60million the Bulls gave Noah who's no more than an energy guy, average help defender, poor post defender and mediocre offesively.

boom called it worst contract in the league shoulda traded him for melo

John Walls Era
10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Seriously? Assuming you're a Wizards fan from your sig, what would you call the 6 year $111 Million extension the Wizards gave Arenas 2 years ago?

Not defending that. But I'm more of a JW fan than a Wizards fan.

CubbySwag313
10-20-2010, 10:51 AM
boom called it worst contract in the league shoulda traded him for melo

Man do i second that!

Melo, Rose and Boozer (when healthy) would of been a sick trio

TylerSL
10-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Overpaid players this year have been
Amare
Noah
Darko
Joe Johnson (one of the most overpayed players in the history of the NBA)
Haywood

dnewguy
10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
The only over-paid player is Joe Johnson. Amare ain't over paid at all, Boozer was under-paid.

sep11ie
10-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Well, damn near all of them. Even Kyle Lowry was overpaid this offseason.

hgtiger32
10-20-2010, 11:24 AM
The Bucks signing Drew Gooden...

DaBUU
10-20-2010, 11:29 AM
how does Drew gooden keep getting big deals

ttam68
10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Gay - Why, just why? the Grizzlies had no competition and gave him nearly max money event though they could have just waited because he was a restricted free agent (I didn't see any other team that would pay more for him).

JJ - I mean the guy is no where near a max player but they probably needed to keep him, because some other team would also have paid max.

Milicic - $5 million per year for him seems a bit much, especially if you look around and realize that there was no interest in him from other teams. Did they fear that he would go back to Europe?

Amare Stoudemire - Sorry but you just don't pay max for a one way player. You just don't.

^This

llemon
10-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Travis Outlaw?

GMEN4EVER
10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Johnson, Haywood, Gay, Gooden, Milicic, David Lee, Outlaw, and Lowry were all over paid. I'm sure there's a couple more but that's the group that comes to mind. Amar'e is iffy. If he holds up for the 5 years health wise it's not a bad contract. If he doesn't, well obviously then it's a bad contract. But getting Amar'e wasn't just about him in the knicks eyes, having Amar'e on the team makes them a lot more attractive to other star players, and that's why I think it's an ok contract if he stays healthy, because the knicks desperately needed to upgrade their marketability to the stars in the next couple off seasons. Besides, he was easily a top 5 player the second half of last season, so a 5 yr max for that caliber of talent isn't a bad deal.

arkanian215
10-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Outlaw, Petro, JJ, Gay in that order

YoungOne
10-20-2010, 12:33 PM
boozer, noah for the bulls give them very less capspace for next season
jj's contract will kill the hawks in the future
haywood's 6 year contract.. he's already 30
pierce 60 mil. over 4 years is too much given he's already 33.. got it because he`s the face of the franchise
dirk 80 mil. over 4 years (same as pierce)

Hoopsadvocate
10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm going to say Chris Bosh not so much for his production, I have a feeling he is going to have trouble staying healthy. He is the Heats most important big which in turn is going to mean a lot of physical demand on his body

Thats one of the stupidest statements ive ever heard on psd.

1. he took a paycut his contact if more than reasonable compared to the other top pfs in the league especially in 2010 FA.

2. To say it will be bad because u think he wont be healthy is stupid. Its like saying i think kevin durants extention will be bad because i think he wont be healthy.

3. Your reasoning for bosh not being healthy is almost as stupid. Out of the top pfs in 2010 FA )boozer, amare) he has the best health history. And Amare and boozer hell any all star pf on any team is any teams most important big besides the few teams with a all star center. That doesnt mean there going to be injured more.

DUMB!

Dankster
10-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Joe Johnson was the most overpaid by anyone with a far 2nd going to Rudy Gay who really warranted a contract in the 9-10 million range....

Knickfan78
10-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Not one person mention Joe Johnson ?

A-f'n-men

I almost caught a fit when i heard the Knicks were considering on signing him. Could very well be the worst contract in NBA history when it's all said and done.

Hoopsadvocate
10-20-2010, 01:57 PM
If joe johnsons contract is bad then u have to think amares is bad also.

Both make there team a bottom of the standing playoff team but thats it. J Johnson isnt brining any championships to his team but neither is amare.

There contracts go from bad to worse in like 2-3 years.

COOLbeans
10-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Hakeem Warick

COOLbeans
10-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Yea he's the Pre-seasons leading scorer. I know its Pre-season but thats a good sign. right?
He is x99999 Times better then David Lee, and does not hinder the Franchise in any way because Knicks can still Have room sign another Potential max Free Agent Next year even with Amare on the books. Their trying to trade for Carmelo. Imagine a Carmelo/Stadamire combo.. Still think it was a bad idea signing him? I would rather Amar'e then David Lee...

If you feel like he's ganna be bad feel free to put him up there. Everyone has his reasons. Im just interested to see which players people think got overpaid this off-season since it was a BIG offseason.

you sound stupid. :speechless:

MurderousPress
10-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Amir Johnson

effen5
10-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Joe Johnson, Amare, and Rudy Gay

Slimsim
10-20-2010, 02:29 PM
If joe johnsons contract is bad then u have to think amares is bad also.

Both make there team a bottom of the standing playoff team but thats it. J Johnson isnt brining any championships to his team but neither is amare.

There contracts go from bad to worse in like 2-3 years.

Amare not by himself But if he can attract Melo and possibility CP3 to come play with him he is worth every dime.

Slimsim
10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Joe Johnson, Amare, and Rudy Gay

Don't forget boozer who already injured himself.

sargon21
10-20-2010, 02:37 PM
^ boozer's contract was one of the best this offseason...

the clock's just ticking on amare's knees

Corey
10-20-2010, 02:37 PM

1. he took a paycut his contact if more than reasonable compared to the other top pfs in the league especially in 2010 FA.

2. To say it will be bad because u think he wont be healthy is stupid. Its like saying i think kevin durants extention will be bad because i think he wont be healthy.

3. Your reasoning for bosh not being healthy is almost as stupid. Out of the top pfs in 2010 FA )boozer, amare) he has the best health history. And Amare and boozer hell any all star pf on any team is any teams most important big besides the few teams with a all star center. That doesnt mean there going to be injured more.

DUMB!

You know it's possible to prove someone wrong with statistics and facts, instead of calling their ideas stupid and dumb?

I agree with you, his contract is warranted, however you don't need to call someone dumb to get your point across :)

Big Quett
10-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, damn near all of them. Even Kyle Lowry was overpaid this offseason.

Travis Outlaw?

Yes and yes. who was competing for outlaw to give him 35 mil? And 32 mil for 4 years for your BACK-UP pg? What is Aaron Brooks going to get?

sargon21
10-20-2010, 02:44 PM
amir johnson, kyle lowry, travis outlaw, amare (yes, knicks fan that contract was ridiculous), joe johnson (crazy money), and probably rudy gay as well

Slimsim
10-20-2010, 02:46 PM
People keep saying amare and keep leaving out Lee and Boozer.

pebloemer
10-20-2010, 02:47 PM
With the young upcoming big men in the league and the recent draft which was heavy on high potential bigs, I'd say that most role playing big men that recieved large contracts will look pretty bad in a couple years.

sargon21
10-20-2010, 02:51 PM
People keep saying amare and keep leaving out Lee and Boozer.

Because it's not even close, amare got a max contract that no other team would have given him, while the bulls got boozer at a great price, and the warriors got lee at a pretty good price(maybe slightly overpaid), but it's not even close to the ridic amount the knicks gave to amare -- for virtually the same player with similar injury concerns (referring to boozer)

sep11ie
10-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes and yes. who was competing for outlaw to give him 35 mil? And 32 mil for 4 years for your BACK-UP pg? What is Aaron Brooks going to get?

The only reason I can think the Rockets matched on Lowry's deal was Brooks is gonna be moved soon. He's already openly complaining about his current deal.

Storch
10-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I posted steve blake 4 million a few minutes ago, but i take it back. We paid Sasha Vujacic and Luke Walton 5 million so this signing wasn't that bad.

nycericanguy
10-20-2010, 02:58 PM
In no particular order

Noah
JJ
Haywood
Frye
Darko
Gay

lavilevi23
10-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Raymond Felton and Jermaine Oneal.

Slimsim
10-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Felton Has been Decent so far.

VicRoyJr
10-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Atlanta is going to regret paying Joe Johnson so much money, I can see them trying to trade him in the next couple years to get rid of that monster contract

GodsSon
10-20-2010, 03:04 PM
amir johnson, kyle lowry, travis outlaw, amare (yes, knicks fan that contract was ridiculous), joe johnson (crazy money), and probably rudy gay as well

I don't think many people truly know the breakdown of that contract to begin with, but it's not as bad as it seems...

Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay were the two worst.

Hoopsadvocate
10-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Amare not by himself But if he can attract Melo and possibility CP3 to come play with him he is worth every dime.

Like i said melo would have been attracted to NY regardless u dont need to overpay amare simply to "attract" him or cp3.

David lee + some fa with the amount of money saved from overpaying amare, + gallinari, + melo and your city would be more than enough to attract any other all star.

PatsSoxKnicks
10-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Because it's not even close, amare got a max contract that no other team would have given him, while the bulls got boozer at a great price, and the warriors got lee at a pretty good price(maybe slightly overpaid), but it's not even close to the ridic amount the knicks gave to amare -- for virtually the same player with similar injury concerns (referring to boozer)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=stoudam01&y1=2010&p2=boozeca01&y2=2010

I would say Amare has been better. Since they both came into the league, they've played roughly around the same amount of games (Amare has played 6 more) and Amare's win share totals are better (including his WS/48). Boozer is def the better rebounder, both can't really play defense but Amare is the better scorer.

Obviously, if you take into account contracts, its a different story. But I'm just comparing them as players and I would give the edge to Amare.

Hoopsadvocate
10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
You know it's possible to prove someone wrong with statistics and facts, instead of calling their ideas stupid and dumb?

I agree with you, his contract is warranted, however you don't need to call someone dumb to get your point across :)

Possible yes likely no. I know people disagree and something you may percieve as stupid may not seem stupid to others but stuff like that is outlandish. I as theres no basis for it. Its just pulled out of there *** or out of random hate for a team or its players.

There should be a rule about posting such rediculousness call it baiting if u want cause essentially thats what really outlandish posts do, bait people who know better into insulting them.

But i understand.

jimbobjarree
10-20-2010, 03:26 PM
all the contracts the Bulls handed out this offseason

YoungOne
10-20-2010, 03:31 PM

bulls fans can't be objective, right? :facepalm:

PC
10-20-2010, 03:38 PM

2 year, partially guarenteed deal. Yep, we really overpaid for him!:rolleyes:

But as much as I like JJ, what the Hawks gave him was easily the worst contract of the summer

Korman12
10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Channing Frye

PatsSoxKnicks
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=stoudam01&y1=2010&p2=boozeca01&y2=2010

Actually, if we take their career WS/48 mins (.184 for Amare, .160 for Boozer), multiply by 1,000,000 (its just a coefficient, to make the numbers easier to read). Then we calculate WS/48 / (salary/82), we're getting their production per salary for 2010 based off career numbers.

salary salary/82 WS/48 WS/48 * 1000000 (WS/48 * 1000000) / (salary/82)
Amare 16486611 201056.2 0.184 184000 0.915167
Boozer 14400000 175609.8 0.160 160000 0.911111

Amare is slightly better.

We can also calculate the production per salary for an average player based on the fact that the average player makes 5.765 million (mid level exception) and the fact that the WS/48 for an average player is .100

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html

salary salary/82 WS/48 WS/48 * 1000000 (WS/48 * 1000000) / (salary/82)
average player 5765000 70304.9 0.100 100000 0.703049

Sly Guy
10-20-2010, 03:49 PM
chris bosh. no third option is a max money player

TylerSL
10-20-2010, 04:10 PM

:facepalm:

just because Bosh is 3rd to Lebron and Wade doesnt mean he isnt worth the 14.5 Million he is getting. He could be getting 16.7 Million but decided to take the less money to get Mike Miller and bring back UD. Joe Johnson got the worst contract in history yet you name Chris Bosh :pity:. Im sure you would be happy if Bosh signed with your team for 14.5 Million annually......

John Walls Era
10-20-2010, 07:47 PM

hahaha that means the Heats 3rd option is better than most teams 2nd (not always, but in this case it is). Also get your facts right... not a max contract. But hey, if you like having your 3rd option as a minimum vet guy then thats cool.

dodie53
10-20-2010, 07:54 PM
jj,
darko,
rudy,
frye,
amare,

iverson.. oh wait.

Big Quett
10-20-2010, 08:33 PM
The only reason I can think the Rockets matched on Lowry's deal was Brooks is gonna be moved soon. He's already openly complaining about his current deal.

He is on his rookie contract. And wouldn't you complain if you were clearly the starter and they gave your back-up 8 mil a year and you still haven't got an extension?

Wilson
10-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I posted steve blake 4 million a few minutes ago, but i take it back. We paid Sasha Vujacic and Luke Walton 5 million so this signing wasn't that bad.

I don't see what the problem would have been with Blake's contract even before you factor in how much we overpaid for Luke and Sasha. I don't think four million is too much to pay your back-up PG, especially when you consider that he's (in all likelihood) going to be starting next season.

Kashmir13579
10-20-2010, 09:54 PM
if amare gets hurt he's overpaid. if he stays healthy and stays a beast, he deserves that money. it has yet to be determined.

sargon21
10-21-2010, 12:35 AM
bulls fans can't be objective, right? :facepalm:

what's wrong with what I said *******? ... go back to germany

as, patsoxfans said... they're pretty close most likely with the edge to amare(depends on your team situation in some instances), but the knicks paid $20M more for "virtually the same player"

and to the guy about amir... yea i went and checked it out, it's not as bad as i thought it was, still alot for (7/5) or w.e, but originally i think they reported his contract wrong and that's why it was in my mind as being one of the worst

NBAfan4life
10-21-2010, 09:03 AM

DUMB!

I wasnt trying to bait, but Bosh has missed 57 games in the last 5 seasons. I could be wrong hopefully I am for the Heats sake.

eso
10-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Anybody who signed a contract... its only high skilled labour.
Athletes are way overpaid all the time!!! :)