PDA

View Full Version : Evan Turner already being compared to Adam Morrison "Turner responds via Twitter"

spreadeagle
10-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Espn's Bill Simmons-I thought Evan Turner would be a good pro. Not great but good. I never thought he would be a bust. But when you talk to NBA people, they keep lobbing red flags in the air about him. Bad body language, a step slow, doesn't really have a position, bad fit with Iguodala, Doug Collins already hates him I taped Tuesday's Celts-Sixers game, zoomed through it and was taken back. That's Evan Turner? The kid I watched on Ohio State last year? He seemed like an Adam Morrison-esque mess. Now I need to see him in person for an official verdict. Either way, Cousins will haunt the Sixers this season. That's a lock. http://www.libertyballers.com/2010/10/15/1753435/bill-simmons-ranks-sixers-24th-most-watchable-team

http://twitter.com/#!/thekidet Turner-"Someone today just compared me to Adam Morrison LMAO wow"

spreadeagle
10-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Congrats Kwame..Adam Morrison is the new "bust" reference

calibird707
10-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Funny s**t!!!!

Crackadalic
10-17-2010, 08:09 AM
76ers should have took cousins

Slimsim
10-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Landry fields > Turner

jkiddvc20
10-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Wow 0 games into Turners NBA career and hes a bust already. How stupid

Corey
10-17-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd love the opportunity to have Turner on my team.

Haters.

tredigs
10-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Another case (looking at the Griffin thread) where I'm going to have to agree with Simmons... this kid really hasn't shown us **** against true competition (and he is not especially young... he's almost KD's age). He was always a little slow in college, but he found a way to make it work and continuously put up huge numbers/wins, but so far that doesn't look like it's translating to the NBA. I don't think Turner does anything great, and I wouldn't be surprised if the gravity of the NBA game ultimately ends up crushing this kids potential (being that there's no way he'll be an insta-star, and from his body language I'm not sure he has the balls to nut up and put in the effort to work through that).

We'll see... but I'm not impressed by the kid at all.

Heat4life
10-17-2010, 09:29 AM
WOW,atleast give the guy one game that actually counts! It takes a whole season or longer for some players to get it.

tredigs
10-17-2010, 09:38 AM
WOW,atleast give the guy one game that actually counts! It takes a whole season or longer for some players to get it.

Fair enough, and true. But Simmons is right that the red flags are flying. Obviously I'm being completely subjective, but from everything I've seen, I don't think the dude possesses the work ethic or raw talent to be a top tier NBA player at this point (and being that he's about to turn 22, I don't see that changing).

North Yorker
10-17-2010, 09:52 AM
I think he will be a serviceable player. He needs to learn how to play without the ball. He's a PG in a SG body.

tr3ymill3r
10-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I'd love to be compared to Morrison...2 time NBA champion. He CHEERED hard for those rings.

Raoul Duke
10-17-2010, 10:16 AM
So Turner is a bust and Blake Griffin is top five at his position, all based on preseason?

Bill, I know you've gotta eat and all, but god damn...

xbrackattackx
10-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Evan turner will NEVER be Adam Morrison, He should have taken that as a Compliment. Adam has 2 rings and is a great team mate.

Hawkeye15
10-17-2010, 10:20 AM
I will reserve my judgement for a few months, until he gets some real games under his belt.
Labeling a player a bust before he has even played a game, despite any "red flags" circulating, is a bit much for me to understand.
Lets revisit this after game 30

tredigs
10-17-2010, 10:23 AM
So Turner is a bust and Blake Griffin is top five at his position, all based on preseason?

Bill, I know you've gotta eat and all, but god damn...

See, this annoys me.

He might be jumping the gun (which is part of his job), but don't be ignorant and put words in his mouth man. He said neither, and merely speculated on the possibility of both (which, given their - albeit limited - performances) being a feasible scenario.

And like I said in the Griffin thread (and earlier here), I wouldn't be surprised if he's right about this.

Hustla23
10-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Evan turner will NEVER be Adam Morrison, He should have taken that as a Compliment. Adam has 2 rings and is a great team mate.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Raoul Duke
10-17-2010, 11:06 AM
See, this annoys me.

He might be jumping the gun (which is part of his job), but don't be ignorant and put words in his mouth man.

Huhwha?

Griffin cannot be hyped enough. He's already one of the best five power forwards in the league. (I have him behind Dirk, Bosh and Gasol and tied with an aging Duncan.) He would have been the third-best player on Team USA in August had the Americans included him. He's already (A) the best finisher of any big guy in the league, (B) the second-best rebounder in the league behind Dwight Howard, and (C) someone who flies around so recklessly that you constantly worry he might break his leg, his back, his neck … there's just nobody else like him right now

OK, guy. I'll try not to be so "ignorant". And yeah, I obviously put those words in his mouth (except how I didn't because he said it all himself...).

He's a little more ambiguous in his comments on Turner, but it's still rampant speculation based on games that don't count.

JWO35
10-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I stand by my statement before the NBA Draft,
"Turner will be better than Wall"

tredigs
10-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Huhwha?

OK, guy. I'll try not to be so "ignorant". And yeah, I obviously put those words in his mouth (except how I didn't because he said it all himself...).

He's a little more ambiguous in his comments on Turner, but it's still rampant speculation based on games that don't count.

My bad, you're right. He was clear on his take on Griffin. Though (like you cleared up in this post), he wasn't cutting Turner off here. Doubting him, sure. But he's not proclaiming the kid a bust. Like you said, dude's gotta eat. He watches a lot of NBA and is a bold predictor by nature, but he's not calling the kid the bust... yet.

I wish I was inside the facility and could speak with authority, but I don't see the work ethic from Turner that you see from a guy like Griffin, and I think that's what separates the men from the boys in this league.

Khalifa21
10-17-2010, 11:15 AM
I can see why people are thinking this, but it's way too early to be judging the guy.

Bullsfan22
10-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't see him fitting well in philly with iggy. I'll wait 30 to 40 games before I even throw up "red flags". I don't see him being as bad as morrison, at worst I see a Boris Diaw.

JayW_1023
10-17-2010, 11:32 AM
The comparison with Adam Morrison is utterly ridiculous. Morrison can't handle, defend or rebound...things Turner can do very well for a swingman.

Turner will be good, he just needs more time to adjust than other high picks. Nothing wrong with that. People are once again jumping to conclusions way too soon.

EaglesJackson10
10-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Evan Turner should of just said **** Bill Simmons. He really hasn't played that bad in the preseason he had one game where he was dominant against the Nets. He had 14 pts, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, and 6 steals. I hate Bill Simmons honestly. The guy hates philly it's pretty undeniable. Stephen Curry didn't put up big numbers in the preseason either and Turner is getting the ball way less than he was. If you watch his game it's not that he looks like he's struggling he just isn't getting that many touches and he not used to that. I love how fast we are to call people busts in both NBA and NFL. People were calling Sam Bradford a bust after half a preseason now he looks like a future franchise QB. Like other people said wait till about 30 games in. The preseason also isn't even over yet so if there a was ever a point where someone was jumping the gun it was here.

fadedmario
10-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Starting to feel pretty good about Greg Monroe. He could end up starting for us now that Jerebko's out.

tredigs
10-17-2010, 11:43 AM
The comparison with Adam Morrison is utterly ridiculous. Morrison can't handle, defend or rebound...things Turner can do very well for a swingman.

Turner will be good, he just needs more time to adjust than other high picks. Nothing wrong with that. People are once again jumping to conclusions way too soon.

There's not a chance he'll be as ineffective as Adam Morrison. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to be dramatic with that part of the statement.

But that said, I don't see him as being the lock that he was projected to be coming through the draft. We shall see... another storyline to follow this season.

prodigy
10-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Turner can rebound, Pass, Score and play defense. Morrison could just score in college.

So that would be a horrible comparison.

Gators123
10-17-2010, 12:03 PM
wow, They could at least let him play 20 games before they start making those comparisons.

John Walls Era
10-17-2010, 12:10 PM
To be fair, he never said Evan Turner is going to be like Morrison. He said in that game he played like him. I knew Turner was a great in college, but if all those components are true then he could have a tough time becoming good in the NBA.

PS: Looks like Evan Turner was a fan of BS.

TheShock45
10-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Wow 0 games into Turners NBA career and hes a bust already. How stupid

i love the sixers and i love evan but normally a bust isnt living up to hype but with Evan he justdoesnt look the part, im really hoping he turns it around but just doesnt look good at all, he looks like a superstar who's pushing his mid 30's and his skills areon the decline.

kjoke
10-17-2010, 12:13 PM
hope not cause it would have been a huge draft blunder for the 76ers

eXpLiiCt
10-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah he's a bust but hasn't played a NBA game yet.

North Yorker
10-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Turner can rebound, Pass, Score and play defense. Morrison could just score in college.

So that would be a horrible comparison.

whoa whoa whoa hold up a second. Are you just saying his defense is better than Morrison's? Cuz I have yet to see how he will be an above average wing defender in the NBA. He's definitely not the most athletic 2 in the NBA, nor will he ever be.

His defense will obviously be better than Morrison's but I doubt he will be anything more than an average defender at this level. Probably closer to below average, since he is already about to turn 22.

JabberJaw
10-17-2010, 12:39 PM
This is the same Bill Simmons that proclaimed Blake Griffin to already be the second best rebounder and a top 5 PF, before ever playing a meaningful NBA game. This guy is one of the most ridiculous journalists out there. It's almost like his focus is getting a reaction, over writing something with substance. It's come to a point where when I see a Bill Simmons (B.S...go figure) article, if it is actually written without saying something insanely radical and is just written with a clear and genuine purpose, it completely shocks me.

SugeKnight
10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
At worst he will be Marvin Williams

SA5195
10-17-2010, 12:48 PM
The season didn't even start yet.

Like someone else said, Blake Griffen is a top 5 player in his position, and Turner's already a bust? All in judgement of the preseason. :pity:

Baller1
10-17-2010, 12:49 PM
A bit too premature. I'll reserve judgement until we get to see him play in the season.

ink
10-17-2010, 12:50 PM
This is the same Bill Simmons that proclaimed Blake Griffin to already be the second best rebounder and a top 5 PF, before ever playing a meaningful NBA game. This guy is one of the most ridiculous journalists out there. It's almost like his focus is getting a reaction, over writing something with substance. It's come to a point where when I see a Bill Simmons (B.S...go figure) article, if it is actually written without saying something insanely radical and is just written with a clear and genuine purpose, it completely shocks me.

Sums it up. And this is a pretty pointless thread. The guy hasn't even played an NBA game yet and a journalist is hating on him. We've spent more time talking about Blake Griffin in this thread. Why? Because it's premature for this thread on Turner. Please don't start threads that bash players.