PDA

View Full Version : Jordan says he could score 100 points in today's game

Mplsman
10-16-2010, 05:15 PM
HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS ó If he wanted to, Michael Jordan claims he could score 100 points in a game today, if we were playing that hypothetical game where Jordan in his prime played the game right now.

This isnít some journeyman from yesteryear talking about what he could do in the current game, this is the G.O.A.T. himself, telling you and anyone else that wants to know that he could get 100!

In an interview with USA Today about the release of NBA 2K11, Jordan was asked what has changed about the game since his playing days and his response wasnít anything radical:

Itís less physical and the rules have changed, obviously. Based on these rules, if I had to play with my style of play, Iím pretty sure I would have fouled out or I would have been at the free throw line pretty often and I could have scored 100 points.

Whatís so crazy about a guy that did whatever he wanted on the basketball court saying that? Mostly itís the fact that itís happened just once, courtesy of Wilt Chamberlain, and even that (as Kelly Dwyer of Ball Donít Lie points out in great detail) was a comical display of basketball theater at best.

MJ said things in the interview that were far more controversial (Kobe BryantĎs a ďtop-10 guardĒ all-time stuck out) and far more ridiculous than him scoring 100 points in a game.

Just using your own memory of the outlandish things MJ did at the height of his powers makes you want to believe him, doesnít it? There we nights when he could have easily chased, I said chased, the 100-point milestone if he wasnít so busy doing everything else (defending, passing, etc.) at the highest level.

It would take a maniacal, single-minded focus to even try to score 100 points in a game, be it 50 years ago or 50 years from now. And Iím not betting against someone, LeBron James or Kevin Durant maybe, accomplishing the feat at some point. As determined as Jordan was to win, though, Iím not sure even he could dial-up the selfishness it would take to score 100 points in the flow of a real game.

Too many things would have to fall into place for it happen. Heíd have to have a crazy shooting night (from everywhere, behind the 3-point line and at the foul line especially), his teammates would have to feed him the ball incessantly and the opposing team couldnít have a single player on its roster with a shred of pride if theyíd let a guy even attempt to get 100.

(Iíll never forgive the Toronto Raptors for allowing Kobe to pop them for 81 points and not sending him home with a busted lip or something.)

Still, itís hard for me to just dismiss the idea of Jordan doing whatever he sets out to do Ö

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/10/16/could-jordan-score-100-today/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Reversed86Curse
10-16-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree. A prime MJ in this era would be sick

Bullsfan22
10-16-2010, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMM906rIzk

TylerSL
10-16-2010, 06:00 PM
No he couldnt, I can see like averaging 35 at the least and 38 PPG at best, and I could see him scoring like 80+ against the bottom teams in the league, but not 100.

smiddy012
10-16-2010, 06:03 PM
There was already a thread about this moved.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-16-2010, 06:12 PM
posted like 1000 times already

nipo10847
10-16-2010, 06:14 PM
A prime MJ would be able to score 100 in today's game. Averaging 40 ppg would be very possible for him in today's game. Gotta agree with the GOAT.

Storch
If Kobe, Lebron, Wade, or Durant really wanted to get 100 points in a game I could see them doing it if their teammates are okay with it. But they may need more than one game to attempt to do it.

Wade_County
old

Wilson
10-16-2010, 06:24 PM
There was already a thread about this moved.

Indeed there was. You can find it here (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542542).