PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons: Blake Griffin is a top 5 PF and top 2 rebounder already?

Pages : [1] 2

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 01:54 AM
I was reading bill simmons column and I know a lot of people like him, but again this is another reason why I think the guy isn't as smart as he leads himself on to be. I thought he was kidding on what he said about blake griffin and I finished the article expecting a kidding at the end or something and didnt get it, but here is what stuck out to me the most.

Call me a sucker, call me a fool. I don't care. Griffin cannot be hyped enough. He's already one of the best five power forwards in the league. (I have him behind Dirk, Bosh and Gasol and tied with an aging Duncan.) He would have been the third-best player on Team USA in August had the Americans included him. He's already (A) the best finisher of any big guy in the league, (B) the second-best rebounder in the league behind Dwight Howard, and (C) someone who flies around so recklessly that you constantly worry he might break his leg, his back, his neck … there's just nobody else like him right now. You can't keep your eyes off him.

So Griffin who hasnt played a single regular season game, is already better then Amare, Boozer, Garnett, Horford just to name a couple? and he would of been the 3rd best player on team USA if he had made it? well he didnt make it. and what really got me was he is already the 2nd best rebounder in the NBA? can someone tell me what bill simmons is smoking?

Does anyone else agree with this guy?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101015&sportCat=nba

John Walls Era
10-16-2010, 02:01 AM
I read that and I was surprised. But lets give him a pass since hes been force to suffer through those Clippers' games. Kinda surprised he didn't mention Amare seeing as how heralded Amare is.

TrueFan420
10-16-2010, 02:02 AM
God journalism has really gone down hill

alencp3
10-16-2010, 02:03 AM
I agree

hgtiger32
10-16-2010, 02:07 AM
no need to hate on simmons, the guy is the shitz

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 02:16 AM
no need to hate on simmons, the guy is the shitz

ummmm he is funny once in a while, but he does not obviously know his sports. maybe he was high when he wrote this.

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 02:17 AM
God jurnalism has really gone down hill

x2

Geargo Wallace
10-16-2010, 02:18 AM
BG is fo reaaaaaaaaaaaal. And I'm not talking about Ben Gordon.

TheWatcher34
10-16-2010, 02:19 AM
because of Griffin, the Clippers will soon be the best team in L.A. finally

29$JerZ
10-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Blake not playing against NBA competiton for a whole season is better than Gasol/Dirk/Amar'e/Bosh/Garnett/Boozer? Blake is a better rebounder than Dwight/Lee?
No

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 02:20 AM

im not saying he wont be good, but already this good with only playing a couple preseason games? im starting to think im the only one really having a problem with this.

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 02:21 AM
Blake not playing against NBA competiton for a whole season is better than Gasol/Dirk/Amar'e/Bosh/Garnett/Boozer? Blake is a better rebounder than Dwight/Lee?
No

actually he said he is the second best rebounder behind dwight. but yea even better then lee or noah who finished second in rebounding. its like wtf???? lol

airforceones25
10-16-2010, 02:23 AM
So Griffin who hasnt played a single regular season game, is already better then Amare, Boozer, Garnett, Horford just to name a couple? and he would of been the 3rd best player on team USA if he had made it? well he didnt make it. and what really got me was he is already the 2nd best rebounder in the NBA? can someone tell me what bill simmons is smoking?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101015&sportCat=nba

I'm a Clipper fan and I believe the hype so call me a homer w/e... However, he didn't play on the team because he was rehabbing his injury. It's not like he was cut because of his play. Quite frankly it should tell you right there that the kid is legit simply for being invited to attend even though he's never played a game and was coming off surgery all year. BG is the future. BELIEVE THE HYPE!

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm a Clipper fan and I believe the hype so call me a homer w/e... However, he didn't play on the team because he was rehabbing his injury. It's not like he was cut because of his play. Quite frankly it should tell you right there that the kid is legit simply for being invited to attend even though he's never played a game and was coming off surgery all year. BG is the future. BELIEVE THE HYPE!

stephan A....... is that you? :) kidding, but that doesnt mean nothing. christain latner was on the 92 dream team, jj reddick was invited to the 2008 olympic try outs. being invited doesnt really mean your good already. hell...... tyson chandler was on this team.

Geargo Wallace
10-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Rick James would be proud with how much of a Super Freak he is.

NJBASEBALL22
10-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Definitely not a better rebounder than Noah, either Gasol, Camby, Lopez, a healthy Yao, KG and Duncan.

GMEN4EVER
10-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Lets see the regular season before we make a call on this one. Griffin was a slam dunk number 1 overall choice, he obviously has some great talent so who knows. I wouldn't rate him at all right now, not until he's played half a season at least, and even then that's just giving you a ball park figure of what he's all about.

airforceones25
10-16-2010, 02:32 AM
he will average over a highlight play a game. kid has video game hops. seriously i know it's preseason and summer league yada yada. every single game he's played in has produced a show..

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 02:33 AM
Lets see the regular season before we make a call on this one. Griffin was a slam dunk number 1 overall choice, he obviously has some great talent so who knows. I wouldn't rate him at all right now, not until he's played half a season at least, and even then that's just giving you a ball park figure of what he's all about.

exactly, i think he can be good, but its way too early to go off by potential right now especially coming off the kind of injury he did.

TrueFan420
10-16-2010, 02:37 AM
ummmm he is funny once in a while, but he does not obviously know his sports. maybe he was high when he wrote this.

Good god sir dont blame his stupidness on drugs.

kEviN21
10-16-2010, 02:48 AM
Griffin is the real deal!!! Dont forget he is young and will only get better!!!

TrueFan420
10-16-2010, 02:55 AM
Griffin is the real deal!!! Dont forget he is young and will only get better!!!

I dont disagree but its way to early to say he is top 5 PF and that he is tied with Tim Freaking Duncan (dont care if hes old hes still a baller). Also come on top 2 rebounder lets be real about this cambys old *** is still a better rebounder. Griffin will be a great player I dont doubt this but lets not crown him king just yet. Remember last time someone was crowned king too early...he still doesnt have his ring yet.

John Walls Era
10-16-2010, 03:25 AM

Why read the guy if you don't think he knows his sports? In fact I think BS knows enough, and he also knows what to do to get the readers attention. Hes not unintelligent; he wants people to talk about what he said regarding Blake Griffin. If BG does dominate, then he would look smart, if he doesn't people would forget about it by that time.

Most journalists do this, but many just become cast-offs because everything they say is wrong. BS has some decent credibility imo.

TrueFan420
10-16-2010, 03:33 AM
Why read the guy if you don't think he knows his sports? In fact I think BS knows enough, and he also knows what to do to get the readers attention. Hes not unintelligent; he wants people to talk about what he said regarding Blake Griffin. If BG does dominate, then he would look smart, if he doesn't people would forget about it by that time.

Most journalists do this, but many just become cast-offs because everything they say is wrong. BS has some decent credibility imo.

And your point brings me back to mine... journalism has really gone down hill

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 03:35 AM

lmao...... oh im sorry, didnt mean to put down the kush. what i meant to say, he was on crack when he wrote this, lol

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 03:36 AM

ive never cared for him, like i said, i dont think he is all that intelligent. but then again i got a thing against writers for ESPN

Patman
10-16-2010, 03:36 AM
Wouldn't be the first time Simmons writes controversial to outlandish stuff to get attention this is his whole deal, the guy goes overboard sometimes and often i have to ask myself if he really knows that much about the game as many think he does. But on the other hand he probably does this for clicks....

TrueFan420
10-16-2010, 03:40 AM
lmao...... oh im sorry, didnt mean to put down the kush. what i meant to say, he was crack when he wrote this, lol

Crack sounds about right... smoking purps never hurt anyone.

John Walls Era
10-16-2010, 03:56 AM
ive never cared for him, like i said, i dont think he is all that intelligent. but then again i got a thing against writers for ESPN

Not saying much: But hes the best that ESPN has to offer.

Afridi786
10-16-2010, 04:02 AM
You guys are discounting how far strength and athleticism with some BB skills can get you in the NBA, just look at Lebron. ; )

dodie53
10-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Blake has to prove himself first in the regular season,
winning the ROY
and
his team making the playoffs will help.

BigEric
10-16-2010, 04:26 AM
We have to wait on the predictions. I'm not going to hate or call him dumb, it's a BOLD prediction.

Blake is as athletic as they come. He just finished so well. I was watching preseason against the Clippers, dude just dominates. He ALWAYS has something to do with the play. He's incredibly smart as well. Rotates well on defense. Sets great picks and rolls with them. Takes one helluva charge and is incredibly quick. The only thing stopping this guy is himself (injuries).

YoungOne
10-16-2010, 05:06 AM
maybe its his forecast for the season so dont overreact.. it's not that unrealistic..

C-ross12
10-16-2010, 05:15 AM
We have to wait on the predictions. I'm not going to hate or call him dumb, it's a BOLD prediction.

Blake is as athletic as they come. He just finished so well. I was watching preseason against the Clippers, dude just dominates. He ALWAYS has something to do with the play. He's incredibly smart as well. Rotates well on defense. Sets great picks and rolls with them. Takes one helluva charge and is incredibly quick. The only thing stopping this guy is himself (injuries).

I agree. Sky really is the limit with him. A true gift this kid has. I wish he was on the celtics.

UnWantedTheory
10-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Pau, Duncan, Dirk, Bosh, Garnett, Amare, Boozer, Horford, Jefferson.....Eh, no...The kid has the potential to be better than some of those on that list, but he hasnt played a game this season. Dejaun Blair is ahead of him at this point, but Griffin will blow him out of the water throughout this season....but during the season, not before it. Slow time for him I suppose.....grasping for straws much?....and dont even get me started on the 2nd best rebounding crap....LoL....but not so funny.

UnWantedTheory
10-16-2010, 05:37 AM
maybe its his forecast for the season so dont overreact.. it's not that unrealistic..

For this season I think it is....for next season is another matter altogether. He is techinically a rookie afterall. He is going to be special and a top 5 PF real soon, just not this year. IMO.

DamnGoat
10-16-2010, 05:48 AM
I like Bill Simmons, but it's ridiculous to call a guy that hasn't played in a regular season game yet a top 5 PF.

bholly
10-16-2010, 06:34 AM
God journalism has really gone down hill

Lol, what? Simmons isn't and hasn't ever claimed to be a journalist. He's a personality, comedy, sports writer. There's nothing even ostensibly journalistic about it, and he'd be the first to admit that.

As for the question, it's definitely too early to make such a claim without Griffin having played a game, and I was surprised too. Having said that, Simmons seems to have more access than most of us (I've seen a bunch of things with him messing around with Clippers players, attending scrimmages, and he clearly knows better insiders than any of us), so maybe he's right. He's clearly saying 'he's at a level that will make him top-5 this season', rather than arguing that his accomplishments make him top-5, and maybe it's true. It's a big claim, and definitely hard to make without seeing any actual NBA game-time, but maybe he is clearly displaying that sort of level behind closed doors, and Simmons just knows before the rest of us.

Antipod
10-16-2010, 07:36 AM
:facepalm:

tr3ymill3r
10-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Looks like he's got some raw talent, but after the bust that Beasley was I refuse to put him top 5 already and top 2 in rebounds? definitely not. He has to play at least 1 season before we can call him top anything.

Khalifa21
10-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Bill Simmons is my favorite basketball writer but to call Blake a top 5 PF after not playing a minute of regular season basketball is a bit over the top...

Potential wise, most definitely. By the end of the season, a realistic although improbable statement. They guy is a stud but I can't see what logical explanations Simmons is using to come to this conclusion. I definitely look forward to seeing Blake though.

Slimsim
10-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Amare lost all his respect once he came to NY. If he was still in PHX he would still be recognize as a top 5 PF.

John Walls Era
10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Amare lost all his respect once he came to NY. If he was still in PHX he would still be recognize as a top 5 PF.

I have to agree with you. Though, I never actually believed Amare was a top 5 PF; there were much more people on the bandwagon back then.

Kyben36
10-16-2010, 03:40 PM
guy hasnt played a regular season game yet, geese, You cant say anything till he plays against starters for 32 minutes and not some of the scrubs teams throw out there in presason.

dfritz03
10-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I think he's going to be good and all, but he hasn't even played a meaningful game yet in the NBA, that statement is a little ridiculous.

Rego247
10-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I think he's going to be good and all, but he hasn't even played a meaningful game yet in the NBA, that statement is a little ridiculous.

yup. i think griffin is getting a little of the john wall treatment, being a former number 1 pick and all. wasnt john wall already in the nba top 50 players poll? now im not saying that both wont be great players, they will. but there is such a thing as too much hype.

godolphins
10-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Right now he's not

AI4MVP
10-16-2010, 05:12 PM
blake griffin is a mother fukcing boss. thats all i have to say on the subject. id take him over just about any pf in the league.

sep11ie
10-16-2010, 05:18 PM

How many times has this dude been banned?

Chronz
10-16-2010, 05:48 PM
He obviously knows his sports, your obviously hating

Chronz
10-16-2010, 05:49 PM
stephan A....... is that you? :) kidding, but that doesnt mean nothing. christain latner was on the 92 dream team, jj reddick was invited to the 2008 olympic try outs. being invited doesnt really mean your good already. hell...... tyson chandler was on this team.
They were given collegiate spots, not asked to try out ala BG try again

Chronz
10-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I like Bill Simmons, but it's ridiculous to call a guy that hasn't played in a regular season game yet a top 5 PF.

Why? What if he is? If you wait for it to actually happen then its not a prediction, god damn you people

You guys are discounting how far strength and athleticism with some BB skills can get you in the NBA, just look at Lebron. ; )

You mean LOTS of both in the case of Bron

Sly Guy
10-16-2010, 06:20 PM
no one who has not played a regular season game should ever be compared to anyone who has. Call it a 'right of passage' if you don't wanna cite things like 'the rookie wall', or 'development'

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 06:30 PM
They were given collegiate spots, not asked to try out ala BG try again

yea lattner was givin a spot, but reddick in 2008 wasnt. he was asked to try out.

nipo10847
10-16-2010, 06:31 PM
I have never liked Bill Simmon's opinions. Blake Griffin is a great prospect. Let him play first an actual game before crowning him a top 5 PF in the league.

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 06:31 PM
He obviously knows his sports, your obviously hating

he obviously??? how is that? cause he gets paid for it? cause he wrote a book? go back and look at this guys prediction made for the last 3 years even. i dont ever remember him making good on one.

nipo10847
10-16-2010, 06:34 PM

What?? LeBron has SOME BB skills?

John Walls Era
10-16-2010, 06:41 PM
he obviously??? how is that? cause he gets paid for it? cause he wrote a book? go back and look at this guys prediction made for the last 3 years even. i dont ever remember him making good on one.

The only prediction I remember that he made correctly: Raptors will regret signing hedo. At least the guy is funny. I rather listen to him (or read his stuff) than a lot of other idiots.

magichatnumber9
10-16-2010, 06:52 PM
God journalism has really gone down hillThat's to be expected when the quality of the reader has gone down.

tredigs
10-16-2010, 07:00 PM

Last year (on 7:1 odds), he predicted that Kevin Durant would win the scoring title. DING. That's the only prediction of his I even know about, to be honest. But I remembered it because I agreed with him, just like I agree with his prediction on Blake.

I've already been talking about this with some buddies, and I expect BG to average ~18ppg 12 rpg this season. That would put him among the league leaders. The dude averaged 14 RPG in college, and has consistently grabbed rebound totals in the teens during this preseason. He's a workhouse who doesn't sit out a play, and will without a doubt be among the leagues best rebounders; and I don't think a prediction of him approaching top 5 in overall PF's this season is a stretch by any means.

topdog
10-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Bill Simmons' articles are "cute" at best. He is a gusher/dumper by nature - no one ever is just good or okay. Love is another guy who is for sure at least a better rebounder than Griffin, if not a better scorer, shooter, team player, ect.

topdog
10-16-2010, 07:10 PM

Marc Stein is decent. Bill Simmons initials stand for what he writes: BS.

tredigs
10-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Bill Simmons' articles are "cute" at best. He is a gusher/dumper by nature - no one ever is just good or okay. Love is another guy who is for sure at least a better rebounder than Griffin, if not a better scorer, shooter, team player, ect.

He's a great rebounder, but not necessarily better than Griffin. Love knows how to work position, but so does Griffin. And he's slightly taller, stronger, and more agile than Love. And a better scorer than Griffin? No. Blake scores with much better efficiency than Love ever has, and just as much if not more. Team player? Now you're just reaching, the homer's coming out in full force. Never heard anything but great things about BG's performance on and off the court from his peers/coaches. He's a better player than Love, period (and I do like Love). You'll see this clear as day in a couple weeks.

ManRam
10-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Bill Simmons has enough basketball knowledge to be a front office executive...and I seriously believe it. While his GM-seekingness might have been a stunt to some regard, he's the one sportswriter that I think could do it. He is extremely knowledgeable about basketball. However, his writing is more current and entertaining than serious more often than not...and this claim is appealing to that. He gets written off too much for that, and because he is bold and some fans can't get over things he says negatively about their team/players.

However, I do think Blake has a chance to establish himself as a top 5 PF this season. I think Tre's prediction of 18 and 12 is reasonable. The problem with most PFs in the league, besides Pau, is that they all for the most part lack severely on one side of the ball. Most of them are piss poor defenders (Amare, Boozer, Randolph, Dirk, Bosh etc.). Blake has a complete game.

I think I've been talking myself into believing Simmons here.

_KB24_
10-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Garnett should slap the fool with his dick. *lets see if anyone spots the reference ;)

Griffin isn't even near the top 10.

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 07:19 PM
The only prediction I remember that he made correctly: Raptors will regret signing hedo. At least the guy is funny. I rather listen to him (or read his stuff) than a lot of other idiots.

i remember that one, most people called that on back in the day though to be fair.

JRisdabest
10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Seriously this guy is a ****ing beast. So ****ing explosive.will average atleast 12 rebounds a game.

HT9Canada
10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
I think by the end of this season Blake will be looked upon as a top 5 PF, top 2 rebounder. He has shown the ability in preseason. Yes, preseason. Remember he was a first overall pick. He has great size, and is athletic. If he doesn't suffer through injuries, he has the possibilities of meeting those expectations this season. However, not yet. He hasn't done much. I'm no homer, but this guy is going to be a hell of a player.

tredigs
10-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Bill Simmons has enough basketball knowledge to be a front office executive...and I seriously believe it. While his GM-seekingness might have been a stunt to some regard, he's the one sportswriter that I think could do it. He is extremely knowledgeable about basketball. However, his writing is more current and entertaining than serious more often than not...and this claim is appealing to that. He gets written off too much for that, and because he is bold and some fans can't get over things he says negatively about their team/players.

However, I do think Blake has a chance to establish himself as a top 5 PF this season. I think Tre's prediction of 18 and 12 is reasonable. The problem with most PFs in the league, besides Pau, is that they all for the most part lack severely on one side of the ball. Most of them are piss poor defenders (Amare, Boozer, Randolph, Dirk, Bosh etc.). Blake has a complete game.

I think I've been talking myself into believing Simmons here.

Sup Ram - Yeah, the complete game is exactly what sets his potential bar higher than the norm. It's not exactly a deep position, and he is talent is absolutely legit and 100% NBA ready. Simmons may end up being wrong with his (admittedly bold) predictions, but they're not laughable by any means. And I do happen to think he's right.

As far as rebounding goes, I think Noah/Griffin/Love all have a solid chance of averaging near 13 a game. Along with D. Howard, obviously.

MaHaRaJaH
10-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Rick James would be proud with how much of a Super Freak he is.

Indeed

Mochalman
10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
i find bill simmons columns to be usually funny and a good read.

Chronz
10-16-2010, 07:38 PM
yea lattner was givin a spot, but reddick in 2008 wasnt. he was asked to try out.
Incorrect, JJ made the team because of his collegiate success, when team USA invited him for tryouts (2 YEARS LATER) he didnt make it, I think he was hurt. But if you could provide any proof then Ill take back everything Ive said.

Yes obviously, for all those reasons and more. His book was filled with so many facts that Im willing to bet more than half of the tidbits in there you never even knew existed. He has a supreme understanding of the leagues history. Predictions? LMAO So what are the success rates of all the analyst in the bizness with regards to their predictions?

BTW I remember him predicting some stuff about Pierce and Tmac, I hated it at the time (2003) but it proved downright prophetic. But still if you have some info I dont, please share it.

Chronz
10-16-2010, 07:42 PM

This I can agree with, well put

Chronz
10-16-2010, 07:43 PM
He's a great rebounder, but not necessarily better than Griffin. Love knows how to work position, but so does Griffin. And he's slightly taller, stronger, and more agile than Love. And a better scorer than Griffin? No. Blake scores with much better efficiency than Love ever has, and just as much if not more. Team player? Now you're just reaching, the homer's coming out in full force. Never heard anything but great things about BG's performance on and off the court from his peers/coaches. He's a better player than Love, period (and I do like Love). You'll see this clear as day in a couple weeks.

I would never trade Blake for Love but Love is a special kind of rebounder, I think its a stretch to list Blake over him, depends on his offensive rebounding mostly, still give the guy credit for naming him. It took this long for anyone to mention the 2nd best rebounder in the game.

Hawkeye15
10-16-2010, 08:18 PM

until we see Griffin put up a 21.2 rebound rate for his first two years, Love is a better rebounder. Tre, where are you getting your numbers? I am not saying Blake won't be better than Love, but don't you think he needs to play some NBA ball before you claim he is a better overall player than Love?
I think you will see in a couple weeks Love has a three point shot, and is arguably a top 5 passing big man.

Hawkeye15
10-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Love will be a monster this year. I virtually guarantee it.

EaglesJackson10
10-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Bill Simmons is obviously bias. I hope we all realize that he is a Clippers season ticket holder. I hate this guy. I don't think I have ever seen him pick the Eagles in his NFL picks. He obviously hates them and I'm sure he does that with other teams too but that's what Ive noticed.

EaglesJackson10
10-16-2010, 09:02 PM

I hope you mean just on basketball because you actually might be write but if you mean over all your dead wrong. Their baseball guys are actually very good. Jayson Stark, Buster Olney, and Tim Kurkijan are all really good and I really like Adam Schefter also.

Wilson
10-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Bill Simmons is obviously bias. I hope we all realize that he is a Clippers season ticket holder. I hate this guy. I don't think I have ever seen him pick the Eagles in his NFL picks. He obviously hates them and I'm sure he does that with other teams too but that's what Ive noticed.

Well he hates Andy Reid which probably skews his picks in favour of Eagles' opponents. He doesn't try to hide it though.

I love Bill Simmons, he tends to take a different perspective on things which is always interesting to read, whether I agree with it or not (could go either way most of the time :p). But he himself has confessed to just throwing things out there to get people talking before, I don't think anyone should get too wound up over this...

godolphins
10-16-2010, 09:26 PM
He definetly has the potential.

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Incorrect, JJ made the team because of his collegiate success, when team USA invited him for tryouts (2 YEARS LATER) he didnt make it, I think he was hurt. But if you could provide any proof then Ill take back everything Ive said.

Yes obviously, for all those reasons and more. His book was filled with so many facts that Im willing to bet more than half of the tidbits in there you never even knew existed. He has a supreme understanding of the leagues history. Predictions? LMAO So what are the success rates of all the analyst in the bizness with regards to their predictions?

BTW I remember him predicting some stuff about Pierce and Tmac, I hated it at the time (2003) but it proved downright prophetic. But still if you have some info I dont, please share it.

why would they invite him off of his college career two years after he was drafted? makes no sense. they invited him because he was a good shooter and since the fiba 3 point lines are closer they thought redick would put up big numbers. i remember watching this a couple years ago on NBA TV when they were talking about who was going to try out and why. never once was it mentioned because of his college career. oh and by the way, the predictions that people have brought up in this thread that were right were predictions everyone else was making as well like the hedo signing not being a good one for toronto...... it was discussed here on psd and most even on here agreed it wasnt a good signing

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 09:31 PM

you know when he was being recruited in college, love was the top prospect in the country according to some boards i remember seeing.

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 09:34 PM
ill put it this way for everyone who is getting mad about bill simmons being bashed. ESPN's coverage of hoops in general is bashed. why? because the predictions are wrong 99% of the time. the break downs are just horrible as well as the coverage. believe it or not people, simmons is part of that. like i said, he can be funny sometimes, but when it comes down to it, hes working for espn, not NBA tv or .com or tnt or another respectable sports new agency for a reason.

DenButsu
10-16-2010, 09:36 PM

He's well on his way. Had a monster game against the Nuggets.

Simmons is an excitable boy, and he tends to riff pretty loose with his prose, and be a bit hyperbolic sometimes.

It goes without saying that his notion is untested since Griffin has never played a regular season game. But that said, he does look freakin great. And the good news is that he's healthy and we'll have the chance to see the evidence that proves Simmons right or wrong this season.

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 09:42 PM
He's well on his way. Had a monster game against the Nuggets.

Simmons is an excitable boy, and he tends to riff pretty loose with his prose, and be a bit hyperbolic sometimes.

It goes without saying that his notion is untested since Griffin has never played a regular season game. But that said, he does look freakin great. And the good news is that he's healthy and we'll have the chance to see the evidence that proves Simmons right or wrong this season.

I understand that and Im not saying he wont be good or anything. thats not my problem, my problem is simmons is already giving a guy who hasnt played a single game all this credit. its too early for that. thats like saying john wall is a top 5 pg right now. i mean we might as well say austin rivers is going to be better in college then john wall was after not playing a single game. let griffin show what he can do in a regular season game before we jack this guy up there that far above guys who have been all stars.

John Walls Era
10-16-2010, 10:04 PM
I hope you mean just on basketball because you actually might be write but if you mean over all your dead wrong. Their baseball guys are actually very good. Jayson Stark, Buster Olney, and Tim Kurkijan are all really good and I really like Adam Schefter also.

I mean bball. I don't watch MLB.

Hawkeye15
10-16-2010, 10:04 PM
you know when he was being recruited in college, love was the top prospect in the country according to some boards i remember seeing.

Being non athletic has always hurt his perception. He was high school player of the year. Pac 10 freshman and player of the year (Lopez, Mayo, Westbrook, etc were in the conference). The dude continues to be underrated, and that is fine. Hopefully the Wolves won't have to pay him the $$ that an athletic player of his skill level would fetch. Love could easily challenge for the rebounding crown over the next 8 years. And if he continues to develop offensively, will be over 20 a game as well. This year, I am expecting, or hoping for, realistically, 18.5/12 with great outlet and halfcourt passing

kozelkid
10-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't understand why so many people (especially the OP), are getting worked up about this. Simmons from the very start admitted it's a bold prediction and even said that you can call him a sucker or a fool. He KNOWS it's a bold prediction. However, he sees something in Griffin. Who knows. I think it's definitely an exagerration, but with the way Griffin has played thus far, I'll be surprised if he doesn't average a double-double. Personally, I think he can average somewhere around 16/10 his rookie year.

John Walls Era
10-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Speaking of Kevin Love.... I would rather have him than Blake Griffin. I love his game.

topdog
10-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Love continually pulling down 15 rebounds in 20-some minutes means he's a pretty friggin' fantastic rebounder. He's never gotten much burn but has all kinds of rebounding stats which the analysts in this forum can tell you all about. Love may not be as efficient of a scorer but that's what happens when you're a jumpshooter and take 3pointers. Griffin is going to have some trouble with big defenses that keep him from the rim. By "team player" I don't mean character or any of that kind of deal. I mean he is better at doing the "intangible" things and sharing the ball/setting guys up. Blake may well be pretty good but Love is being way underrated. Everyone gets excited about rookies, until (like Joe Alexander) they hit their head on the rim. I.e. the limit is indeed much lower than the sky. I'm not a huge Love fan by the way, but he has impressed me quite a bit.

EaglesJackson10
10-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I mean bball. I don't watch MLB.

Yeah then your probably right.

Chronz
10-16-2010, 10:18 PM
why would they invite him off of his college career two years after he was drafted? makes no sense.
Dude when they invited him he DIDNT MAKE THE TEAM. When he MADE THE TEAM, it was as a Collegiate player. Atleast from what I remember, but like Ive said feel free to prove otherwise. Im not going to take your word for it.

never once was it mentioned because of his college career.
Prolly cuz your watching the wrong show

oh and by the way, the predictions that people have brought up in this thread that were right were predictions everyone else was making as well like the hedo signing not being a good one for toronto...... it was discussed here on psd and most even on here agreed it wasnt a good signing
OK totally pointless as people have mentioned other predictions and you never answer my question about predictions anyways.

Chronz
10-16-2010, 10:20 PM
until we see Griffin put up a 21.2 rebound rate for his first two years, Love is a better rebounder. Tre, where are you getting your numbers? I am not saying Blake won't be better than Love, but don't you think he needs to play some NBA ball before you claim he is a better overall player than Love?
I think you will see in a couple weeks Love has a three point shot, and is arguably a top 5 passing big man.

Hes looking at his collegiate #'s

Chronz
10-16-2010, 10:22 PM
ill put it this way for everyone who is getting mad about bill simmons being bashed. ESPN's coverage of hoops in general is bashed. why? because the predictions are wrong 99% of the time. the break downs are just horrible as well as the coverage. believe it or not people, simmons is part of that. like i said, he can be funny sometimes, but when it comes down to it, hes working for espn, not NBA tv or .com or tnt or another respectable sports new agency for a reason.
Ive never bought into that kind of talk, there is nothing distinguishing about nba.com vs ESPN.

el_primo_nano
10-16-2010, 10:54 PM
the blogging world we live in. Thats not journalism

Hawkeye15
10-16-2010, 11:19 PM

then Love would have projected as the better rebounder and player if you do that.
Simply put, Love is probably the 2nd best rebounder in the NBA, and has the tools to become the best. He showed all summer that his range is limitless, and his outlet passing, and halfcourt passing, are well known. He draws fouls, creates extra possessions with his offensive rebounding, and is not nearly as bad a defender as most think. To say Griffin is already a better PF is ridiculous. Let the man play a season and show us what he's got

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Dude when they invited him he DIDNT MAKE THE TEAM. When he MADE THE TEAM, it was as a Collegiate player. Atleast from what I remember, but like Ive said feel free to prove otherwise. Im not going to take your word for it.

Prolly cuz your watching the wrong show

OK totally pointless as people have mentioned other predictions and you never answer my question about predictions anyways.

where did i say once in my post he made the team? actually in my original post i said he was invited, thats all. all i mean is that its pointless if you are invited or not. you made that one of your arguments about bill simmons having a point and it isnt a valid point. yes it was a nice gesture to invite him, but of course they knew he wasnt going to make the team or even have a chance with his injury. your making this a lot more difficult then it has to to be. and look i remember what i saw so please dont tell me other wise. bills simmons was out of his m ind saying he is already better then amare,boozer,horford, garnett...... ALL-STAR PLAYERS.......... when he hasnt even played one game yet.

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Being non athletic has always hurt his perception. He was high school player of the year. Pac 10 freshman and player of the year (Lopez, Mayo, Westbrook, etc were in the conference). The dude continues to be underrated, and that is fine. Hopefully the Wolves won't have to pay him the $$ that an athletic player of his skill level would fetch. Love could easily challenge for the rebounding crown over the next 8 years. And if he continues to develop offensively, will be over 20 a game as well. This year, I am expecting, or hoping for, realistically, 18.5/12 with great outlet and halfcourt passing

Ive been impressed by him. I actually like the guy. he seems cool by what ive seen and he is a pretty damn good passer and shooter. he plays hard and i think you better count your lucky stars as a wolves fan they didnt keep mayo and traded for love. i thought it was smart at the time and its lookin better every day.

NYK|NYY
10-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Why is everyone so upset and slamming "Journalism"? Simmons gave his opinion. Jeez.

Illinirob83
10-17-2010, 01:35 AM
People keep saying it is a prediction. Simmons never said "he predicts" Griffin to be this that or the other, he said he IS CURRENTLY top 5 PF in the NBA, best FINISHER CURRENTLY in the NBA, and the 2nd best rebounder CURRENTLY in the NBA. I didn't read anything about any prediction. Simmons obviously went to the LAC preseason game the other night and he does what he always does...overrates something. Watch Griffin go out and have a great start the first two-three weeks of the season then Simmons will write a self-serving "I told you all" column. But when Griffin has some struggles in mid-season or has another injury he will act like he never wrote such things......that is what this guy does.

This guy is a great fan of the NBA, a fanboy of the Celtics, but he really doesn't have good sports perspective in the very least. He was freaking out about the Celtics during the reg. season last year and overly bashing them for not being as great as he thought they should be and basically claimed them dead sometime in March. He did this in every column or NBA podcast he had. I emailed him and asked, for a guy who is supposed to be so up on the NBA and its history why are you freaking out about reg. season buckets? Bos was clearly going to get a home series and their real season didn't begin until the playoffs, especially for such a veteran team. I asked him if he thought Pop, the Spurs and Spurs fans give a crap about reg. season buckets, they care about getting healthy for the first round. He emailed me back and explained how it was completely different in some absurd way. And once the Celts started doing well in the playoffs he kept saying that Q. Rich woke up the Celtics team with some weird brawl that never was and that is why the Celtics started playing better. Ridiculous.

The guy is ok, and I love his enthusiasm for the NBA but being the best that ESPN has to offer is like saying you are the tallest midget. The guy is a hyperbole, overstating hack at times and that is too bad because he obviously should know better.

D1JM
10-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Noah is an alright rebounder.

Vincent33
10-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Why is everyone so upset and slamming "Journalism"? Simmons gave his opinion. Jeez.

And everyone has the right to their own opinion. I would certainly take Simmons' opinion on players in the NBA over some of the GMs out there (Dumars, Kahn, King)

BTW, big fan of your sig. One of my favorite scenes of all time.

OA SLAY
10-17-2010, 03:39 AM

haha was ^^this^^ drug related?

JayW_1023
10-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Blake Griffin is looking like the ROY. I just hope he doesn't get injured. If he stays healthy he will be Amare with better court vision, rebounding and fundamentals. Scary.

tredigs
10-17-2010, 09:00 AM

I'm not just looking at his college numbers, but I'm definitely looking at his college game. And Hawk, what do you mean that Love would be the better projected rebounder/player if those were the only stats I did indeed look at? In his Freshman year they'd be comparable, but BG stepped his game up and blew Loves rebound/efficiency out of the water (some might say that's expected, but his improvement was extraordinary) away in his sophomore season (granted, Love didn't play his sophomore year - but again, BG had a ridiculously noticeable upgrade across the spectrum, especially in rbnd rate).

The bottom line is that after watching him actually play in college, seeing where he's at post injury (completely solid), and crunching his numbers, I don't see any reason why he won't be an insta-impact marquee PF in the league. He's a really good player man; only true weaknesses = holding defensive position in the low block (needs to strengthen his core/legs) and try to raise his FT% into the low 70's (especially considering he'll be averaging about ~8 a game this season).

Heat4life
10-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Blake could go down as one of the best PF's ever,but only if he stays healthy.I have only watched him play a few time,and I have to say,HE IS BETTER THAN ADVERTISED!!!!

Hawkeye15
10-17-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm not just looking at his college numbers, but I'm definitely looking at his college game. And Hawk, what do you mean that Love would be the better projected rebounder/player if those were the only stats I did indeed look at? In his Freshman year they'd be comparable, but BG stepped his game up and blew Loves rebound/efficiency out of the water (some might say that's expected, but his improvement was extraordinary) away in his sophomore season (granted, Love didn't play his sophomore year - but again, BG had a ridiculously noticeable upgrade across the spectrum, especially in rbnd rate).

The bottom line is that after watching him actually play in college, seeing where he's at post injury (completely solid), and crunching his numbers, I don't see any reason why he won't be an insta-impact marquee PF in the league. He's a really good player man; only true weaknesses = holding defensive position in the low block (needs to strengthen his core/legs) and try to raise his FT% into the low 70's (especially considering he'll be averaging about ~8 a game this season).

I have no doubt he will be an impact player. But you are claiming he will be on Love's level, rebound wise. He NEEDS to prove that first. Because Love is about as good as it gets.
Love had better numbers across the board their freshman year man. Same minutes. More ppg, rpg, PPS, hits free throws, and now can hit 3's. And their passing ability isn't even comparable. Griffin is a freak athlete, and that is what will give him the ultimate advantage.

But until Griffin proves it, and from what I have seen from Love over his career and this summer/preseason, I don't even want to hear that shizz dude. This one time, in all of my historical career on PSD, you can pull the homer flag, but Love is going to end up an all star, and have a monster year this season. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Griffin become better than Love, but until he proves it I don't care to talk about it, because there is no evidence to suggest it.

tredigs
10-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I have no doubt he will be an impact player. But you are claiming he will be on Love's level, rebound wise. He NEEDS to prove that first. Because Love is about as good as it gets.
Love had better numbers across the board their freshman year man. Same minutes. More ppg, rpg, PPS, hits free throws, and now can hit 3's. And their passing ability isn't even comparable. Griffin is a freak athlete, and that is what will give him the ultimate advantage.

But until Griffin proves it, and from what I have seen from Love over his career and this summer/preseason, I don't even want to hear that shizz dude. This one time, in all of my historical career on PSD, you can pull the homer flag, but Love is going to end up an all star, and have a monster year this season. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Griffin become better than Love, but until he proves it I don't care to talk about it, because there is no evidence to suggest it.

No reason to lambaste this post for two reasons:

#1: You're right, Griffin needs to prove it in the regular season. Period (I don't think anyone disagrees with that though).

#2: Love is absolutely going to have a big season (numbers/impact wise) if and when he sees ~36 mpg. I like his game a lot, even if he is a little undersized and has some propensity to get knocked by the elite bigs in the low block.

But, my points stand. BG was chosen (rightly) #1 for a reason. If he stays healthy (I don't see him as an Oden by any means), there is zero doubt in my mind that he's going to be a hugely impactful player from the start. They'll both be fighting Dwight for the rebound title.

Hawkeye15
10-17-2010, 10:57 AM
No reason to lambaste this post for two reasons:

#1: You're right, Griffin needs to prove it in the regular season. Period (I don't think anyone disagrees with that though).

#2: Love is absolutely going to have a big season (numbers/impact wise) if and when he sees ~36 mpg. I like his game a lot, even if he is a little undersized and has some propensity to get knocked by the elite bigs in the low block.

But, my points stand. BG was chosen (rightly) #1 for a reason. If he stays healthy (I don't see him as an Oden by any means), there is zero doubt in my mind that he's going to be a hugely impactful player from the start. They'll both be fighting Dwight for the rebound title.

I can agree to all of this. Rebounding is a stat that translates 9/10 times from college to the pros. And you obviously understand, which I can tell by your statements, that we KNOW this about Love, and are waiting to see if it holds true for Griffin
Dude will be beast. I am not even sure how Love came into this discussion haha. But I had to stick up for my boy, which hopefully I won't need to do much longer, since he is the Wolve's premier player now

Hawkeye15
10-17-2010, 10:58 AM
haha, I kid you not Tre, just as I typed that, I looked up, and it this on ESPN hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaxgMY9_dWk

tredigs
10-17-2010, 11:02 AM
haha, I kid you not Tre, just as I typed that, I looked up, and it this on ESPN hahaha

Ahahaha. God, that is awesome. No-racist - but Griffin has the same face as the Phoenix stunt gorilla, especially in that shot.

Vidball
10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
because of Griffin, the Clippers will soon be the best team in L.A. finally

Haha...so now there will be two teams in L.A. better than Boston!

jimbobjarree
10-17-2010, 06:56 PM
anybody see his nasty alley oop yday?

nipo10847
10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Both Griffin and Love are gonna be great players and monster rebounders. I can't wait to see the potential rebounding battle among Dwight, Love, and Griffin. Dwight has a pretty good chance of losing it this year.

I am a little concerned about Love's size and his offensive game (though he has a tons of time to improve his O game). Griffin IMO is a more complete player atm.

D Roses Bulls
10-17-2010, 07:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMuVjTayo8&feature=channel

Hawkeye15
10-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Both Griffin and Love are gonna be great players and monster rebounders. I can't wait to see the potential rebounding battle among Dwight, Love, and Griffin. Dwight has a pretty good chance of losing it this year.

I am a little concerned about Love's size and his offensive game (though he has a tons of time to improve his O game). Griffin IMO is a more complete player atm.

Love's shooting range will take care of that, as will his foul draw rate. He also gets 1-2 putbacks a night. 11-18 on three's so far in the preseason, and showed his range this summer. Not sure how you can say Griffin is the more complete player. Love's passing ability and range trump Blake. And we need to see Griffin play before we rank him anywhere

fresh prince
10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I was reading bill simmons column and I know a lot of people like him, but again this is another reason why I think the guy isn't as smart as he leads himself on to be. I thought he was kidding on what he said about blake griffin and I finished the article expecting a kidding at the end or something and didnt get it, but here is what stuck out to me the most.

Yes..if you watch this kid play you have to agree.

I know its pre -season but so far he has been un real to watch. He literally impacts the game in every facet right now. Whether he keeps it up and can avoid injury remains to be seen but from a talent and impact potential I agree with Simmons.

Chronz
10-19-2010, 02:52 PM
where did i say once in my post he made the team?
Your right I dont know why I thought you were saying he made the squad.

thats all. all i mean is that its pointless if you are invited or not.
Being invited to represent your country is pointless? Even if they invite you knowing full well your hurt.

you made that one of your arguments about bill simmons having a point and it isnt a valid point.
It was also the least important argument, feel free to tackle my key points.

bills simmons was out of his m ind saying he is already better then amare,boozer,horford, garnett...... ALL-STAR PLAYERS.......... when he hasnt even played one game yet.

I KNOW you believe this, youve done a piss poor job of backing up as to WHY

Tmoney8587
10-19-2010, 03:11 PM

John Walls Era
10-19-2010, 03:15 PM
I always read his stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm going to agree with him. But on this occasion, Griffin might prove to be top 5 after this season. He looks really good.

DaBUU
10-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I've read this opinion from different peopel and I have to agree. The kid is a mix of power, speed and agility at the 4. He may be the most athletic PF in the league.

DaBUU
10-19-2010, 03:54 PM

haha JVG calling shotgun

alencp3
11-13-2010, 05:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6GCV5fGQg
Reverse slam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkIJn7qbfHU
Crazy dunk attempt on Stuckey :speechless: :speechless: :speechless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxrtlDfETNw
Easy but sweet putback slam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnowDYGd5hk
Amazing block at 1:20

And all of this in just one game

jiggin
11-13-2010, 07:59 AM
clippers forum maybe?

Minimal
11-13-2010, 09:23 AM
With all this "crazyness" he will be out in 1 or 2 months with an injury.

ignorance=bliss
11-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Hey F that dude!

Thank you for posting this right where it is, otherwise there would be no way I would have seen them.
On to the point tho, that kid is a man. I can't belive how gifted that dude is. When he stole that and wrapped it around Stuckey and dunked on him, my jaw literally dropped.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
11-13-2010, 11:00 AM
With all this "crazyness" he will be out in 1 or 2 months with an injury.

word.

Lim
11-13-2010, 11:31 AM
that wouldve been one of the sickest dunks of all time if he converted it vs stuckey. he was so close too, just barely lost the handle.

he landed on his right hip pretty damn hard, prob will have a huge *** bruise when he wakes up today.

fadedmario
11-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Charlie Villanueva was better than Griffin last night......just saying

JayW_1023
11-13-2010, 11:55 AM

I disagree...C-Vill had one rebound...for a big thats pathetic.

cwilson21
11-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Freak athlete.

alencp3
11-13-2010, 12:15 PM

I would rather have a 18/18/5 guy than a 30/0/0 big

pacman16
11-13-2010, 12:39 PM
those were pretty impressive, thanks for posting where you did or like previously mentioned I wouldnt have seen them!

WadeCounty
11-13-2010, 12:44 PM
id trade you chris bosh for him :(

el_primo_nano
11-13-2010, 01:05 PM
id trade you chris bosh for him :(

:laugh:
Griffin is beasting rite now. What an addition. I can only imagine what the Clips would have been with him least year. Now they should think about getting rid of Baron Davis

WolvesJagsOs
11-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Griffin is amazing.

BenFrank
11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
When the season's over.. he's gonna have one of the best youtube highlights ever.. This guys amazing!

Baller1
11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Damn, wish he would've converted that on Stuckey. Holy ****.

Rafer17
11-13-2010, 02:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6GCV5fGQg
Reverse slam

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkIJn7qbfHU
Crazy dunk attempt on Stuckey :speechless: :speechless: :speechless:[/B]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxrtlDfETNw
Easy but sweet putback slam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnowDYGd5hk
Amazing block at 1:20

And all of this in just one game

Reminds me of this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAJjZei8X8M&feature=related

Hunter48MVP
11-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Griffin is a BEAST!

Hunter48MVP
11-13-2010, 03:27 PM
clippers forum maybe?

Who cares, its Blake Griffin.

Chacarron
11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Does he have a nickname yet?

sep11ie
11-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Does he have a nickname yet?

Yes. Blake "I almost had a nice dunk over a PG" Griffin.

Rafer17
11-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Yes. Blake "I almost had a nice dunk over a PG" Griffin.

H8ter

Potential Nicknames

The Punisher or Earthquake

tredigs
11-13-2010, 05:50 PM
When the season's over.. he's gonna have one of the best youtube highlights ever.. This guys amazing!

I am praying to all things holy that he doesn't get injured again; last thing I need is this guy slowing down or hampered by a torn miniscus.

He is out-of-this-****ing-world entertaining.

Him, D. Rose, John Wall and Russel Westbrook: The modern day high-flyers and human highlight films.

pd1dish
11-13-2010, 05:52 PM
i loved watching him in college, and now he is quickly becoming one of the more exciting players in the NBA. i hope he doesnt suffer from a serious injury this year. but with the clippers luck, he probably will.

Lloyd Christmas
11-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Reminds me of this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAJjZei8X8M&feature=related

And both Griffin and Brown tried to do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INK-Pr6Z82A

ilovemyangel
11-13-2010, 08:33 PM
what a freakish athlete! but my heart would be in my mouth everytime he goes up for one of those reckless crazy dunks if i were a clippers fan. as for nickname, does Quake Griffin sounds good? haha.

Mplsman
11-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Elite level athleticism for a big.

D Roses Bulls
11-20-2010, 04:46 AM
well looks like bill simmons has proven to be wrong once again. this made me bring it back since he wrote his new updated predictions today. anyways here is blakes stat line:

PPG RPG BPG
16.5 10.5 0.3

and the clippers have a record of 1-12. yeah, top 5 PF my ***.

D1JM
11-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Griffin is still going to he a future superstar, but saying he is a top 5 pf And top 2 rebounder is just ridiculous

nbafan63
11-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Griffin is a great player, but his hype is greater than his skills. He hasn't made a bit of a difference since last yrs Clippers. If he was a true super star, he would help his team win some games, which just isn't happening. He is very skilled and athletic though and will have a great career.

alencp3
11-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Who is the last rookie who had 16/10? Tim Duncan?
This kid is going to be superstar and HOF
Mark my words

nbafan63
11-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Blake Griffin has some serious acne problems. He needs Proactive, and Proactive needs Griffin as their new spokesperson.

Raoul Duke
11-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Blake Griffin has some serious acne problems. He needs Proactive, and Proactive needs Griffin as their new spokesperson.

Every pimple on his face is richer than you'll ever be.

Also, 16/10 is effin' WOW for a rookie. I'm impressed. Simmons was still dealing in some serious hyperbole, but I like the kid and I'm excited to see what his future holds (knock on wood).

Rndy
11-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Lets see

Lee TRB% 18
Griffin TRB% 18.2
Noah TRB% 19.9.

He's not too far off guy looks like a legit rebounder.

He's not even the second best PF rebounder though let alone second best overall.

Sactown
11-20-2010, 10:30 AM
It's been 13 games.. Let's see if the rookie wall has some play on his stats

tredigs
11-20-2010, 10:42 AM
well looks like bill simmons has proven to be wrong once again. this made me bring it back since he wrote his new updated predictions today. anyways here is blakes stat line:

PPG RPG BPG
16.5 10.5 0.3

Hahahah, you're a fool dude. You're talking down on a guy who put up 20 and 14 in his first NBA game. He also slotted 26 and 17 a couple nights ago. Have you even seen the kid play? He's incredible; one of the most athletic/talented bigs to come through this league in a LONG time.

His team sucks, yes. He wasn't introduced to the league under a solid franchise with David ****ing Robinson as his center. But I can assure you that he isn't the problem there.

edit: I'm still laughing at the thought of you bringing this thread up after all the potential (and reality) he's shown this year like you're proving some self-boasting point. By seasons end, there's a fighters chance that Simmons is actually right.

Hawkeye15
11-20-2010, 01:30 PM

PPG RPG BPG
16.5 10.5 0.3

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=griffbl01&y1=2011&p2=duncati01&y2=1998&p3=garneke01&y3=1996&p4=gasolpa01&y4=2002

rookie year comparisons for Blake, Duncan, KG, and Gasol. Blake is going to be just fine.

homie564
11-20-2010, 01:39 PM

PPG RPG BPG
16.5 10.5 0.3

that's bad??? on what planet is that not amazing for a rookie?

Sactown
11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=griffbl01&y1=2011&p2=duncati01&y2=1998&p3=garneke01&y3=1996&p4=gasolpa01&y4=2002

rookie year comparisons for Blake, Duncan, KG, and Gasol. Blake is going to be just fine.

It's been 13 games let's see how he looks after 82 grueling games.. I'm not calling him a bust. Let's see how he handles the rookie wall.

Sly Guy
11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
blake griffin is a stud. And provided he doesn't thrash his body too early, he will be for a very long time. One of my fav players in the league ATM.

Hawkeye15
11-20-2010, 02:59 PM
It's been 13 games let's see how he looks after 82 grueling games.. I'm not calling him a bust. Let's see how he handles the rookie wall.

oh I agree. But if you watch him play, he is a freak of nature. A harder working Amare. I don't think there is anything outside injuries that will stop him from being a top PF in the NBA

arkanian215
11-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Right now he's the 15th best rebounder.

Reggie Evans
Kevin Love
Marcus Camby
Samuel Dalembert
Dwight Howard
DeJuan Blair
Joakim Noah
Tim Duncan
Kris Humphries
Ben Wallace
Udonis Haslem
Andris Biedrins
Antonio McDyess
Roy Hibbert
Blake Griffin

Sactown
11-20-2010, 03:03 PM
oh I agree. But if you watch him play, he is a freak of nature. A harder working Amare. I don't think there is anything outside injuries that will stop him from being a top PF in the NBA

He'll have to learn when to use his body and when not to. I've been watching him play and it's fun to watch, but it's reckless. He needs to know when not to jump out of bounds and save the ball and when too because those kind of things will lead to injury.. undoubtedly a freak of nature with no limits to his potential.. only thing I'd be worried about is injury.. Kid needs to save his body

Hawkeye15
11-20-2010, 03:08 PM
He'll have to learn when to use his body and when not to. I've been watching him play and it's fun to watch, but it's reckless. He needs to know when not to jump out of bounds and save the ball and when too because those kind of things will lead to injury.. undoubtedly a freak of nature with no limits to his potential.. only thing I'd be worried about is injury.. Kid needs to save his body

As Larry Bird said, "It makes me sick when I see a guy watching the ball going out of bounds"

I am not saying you don't take care of your body. But playing hard is absolutely necessary to become elite. But Blake does need to play smart. It will come.

alencp3
11-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Right now he's the 15th best rebounder.

Reggie Evans
Kevin Love
Marcus Camby
Samuel Dalembert
Dwight Howard
DeJuan Blair
Joakim Noah
Tim Duncan
Kris Humphries
Ben Wallace
Udonis Haslem
Andris Biedrins
Antonio McDyess
Roy Hibbert
Blake Griffin

Numbers dont mean ****
Favors is better rebounder than half of those and let alone Griffin

alencp3
11-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Only thing im not impressed is his blocking
0.3 per game and he should average at least 1.5 with all the tools he got

Sactown
11-20-2010, 03:11 PM
As Larry Bird said, "It makes me sick when I see a guy watching the ball going out of bounds"

I am not saying you don't take care of your body. But playing hard is absolutely necessary to become elite. But Blake does need to play smart. It will come.

I agree I'm not saying he slacks off, just watches himself and doesn't get toooo reckless. Baring from injury he will become a top 5 PF maybe not this year, but in the future

D1JM
11-20-2010, 03:16 PM

I don't think he is bashing on griffin, but more on how Simmons already puts him as a top 5 pf and top 2 rebounder as in like right now because stats say otherwise.

D1JM
11-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Numbers dont mean ****

Has favors even started a game or is he still playing against the opponents bench?

tredigs
11-20-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree I'm not saying he slacks off, just watches himself and doesn't get toooo reckless. Baring from injury he will become a top 5 PF maybe not this year, but in the future

He's not a cheeseburger swallowing porker like DeMarcus Cousins, there's no reason why he won't continue this pace and/or improve as the season progresses.

Hawkeye15
11-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't think he is bashing on griffin, but more on how Simmons already puts him as a top 5 pf and top 2 rebounder as in like right now because stats say otherwise.

nah, I know. But cmon. Its not like Simmons doesn't make outlandish comments on a daily basis

alencp3
11-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Has favors even started a game or is he still playing against the opponents bench?

Joe Smith was starter, now Kris Humphries is, later Troy Murphy will be
He is playing 20min a game mostly against opponents benches

D1JM
11-20-2010, 05:09 PM
nah, I know. But cmon. Its not like Simmons doesn't make outlandish comments on a daily basis

lol, thats how he gets attention

this should just let him play 35 min a game.

Hawkeye15
11-20-2010, 05:13 PM

Favors is literally right behind Blake in rebound rate. But Blake is better right now. Favors was drafted to develop. He wasn't the most NBA ready in the draft, not even close. But his potential is off the charts. But no, Favors is not a better rebounder than half the players listed there. In fact, he is right out of the picture, at #16-17

GOON MUSIC
11-20-2010, 05:51 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chronz
11-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Numbers dont mean ****
Based on?

What tools?

2 post of yours has me wondering wtf

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:14 AM
just did Mozgov on the Knicks dirty. OMG! Link to be posted of that dunk, when available.

Here is one link I found so far, its pretty crappy; will post a better one when available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71X5OlPqbwY

AI4MVP
11-21-2010, 01:17 AM
all i have to say, it that Amare Stoudemire is a poor mans Blake Griffin

babyang04
11-21-2010, 01:17 AM
everytime there is a highlight on the knicks, There seems to be a thread. CAN WE STOP :mad:

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:19 AM
everytime there is a highlight on the knicks, There seems to be a thread. CAN WE STOP :mad:

I think it deserves a thread...did you see it?!

asandhu23
11-21-2010, 01:22 AM
man a lot of knicks players are getting posterized. i mean look at my sig

Draco
11-21-2010, 01:30 AM
nifty spin move on Amare.

AI4MVP
11-21-2010, 01:30 AM
wow blake griffin just owned the **** outa amare stoudemire

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:32 AM
man a lot of knicks players are getting posterized. i mean look at my sig

Well it is going to happen when you attempt to block shots. Knicks lead the league in blocked shots.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
Ino, just seen it.
I just wish Okc would of pick him up.
The clippers have a very promising guy in Blake.
I wish him the best

Crackadalic
already we have the 3 top 10 dunks of the season from other teams and its only nov lol at least were winning tonight

Slimsim
11-21-2010, 01:33 AM
all i have to say, it that Amare Stoudemire is a poor mans Blake Griffin

Blake will surpass Karl Malone Barkley Even LBJ Talent wise

SA5195
11-21-2010, 01:33 AM
Anyone have the link?

asandhu23
11-21-2010, 01:34 AM

no way in hell. you are talking about Karl Malone not LBJ

Raph12
11-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Griffin is showing great potential, but his team is getting whooped every night...

Draco
11-21-2010, 01:37 AM
What are the odds Griffin stays with the Clippers past his first or second contract?

daleja424
11-21-2010, 01:38 AM
I have a huge man crush on this guy... cant wait to see the highlights...

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-21-2010, 01:39 AM

Way to early to tell

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:39 AM
I have a huge man crush on this guy... cant wait to see the highlights...

He sure is going to have a lot. Its like a dunk contest for him tonight.

Chacarron
11-21-2010, 01:41 AM
I'm glad Blake plays in LA, get to see his amazing dunks. That poster on Mozgov was sick.

Draco
11-21-2010, 01:41 AM
I remember David Thorpe answering fan questions before the 08 draft and posted something about Beasley being a better prospect than Griffin. Opps.

Ragun
11-21-2010, 01:44 AM
thats just insane...wow.

D Roses Bulls
11-21-2010, 01:44 AM
heres a link, not a very good video but still you can see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71X5OlPqbwY

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:45 AM
heres a link, not a very good video but still you can see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71X5OlPqbwY

Already in the OP...thanks though. :)

daleja424
:speechless:

oh good lord... that is filthy

dc5jdm
I say he stays in LA but with the Lakers.

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Now Gallo just got it, but not as bad.

arkanian215
11-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Holy ****. Thank god for this thread. Otherwise I wouldn't be watching the sick spin move.

AI4MVP
11-21-2010, 01:49 AM
OMG!!!BLAKE ****ING GRIFFIN! HOLY ****

best power forward in the league

dc5jdm
thats nastyyyyy.. woww

29$JerZ
Jesus

GOON MUSIC
THE KID IS a FREAK

Draco
This guy could make an awesome pairing with D. Rose.

Mochalman
hopefully hes no KG and gets out of clipper-land asap

29$JerZ
Blake is going to be on 5 of the Top 10 plays

wileyisTOFU
god lord, yall gonna need to start another thread, that spun dunk was beast. for the love of god, get this guy off of the clippers already.

Sir Buckets
LOL, WOW. Just watching a vid of his Mozgov one, then he destroys Gallo. This guy is gonna be good.

BelieveTheDream
11-21-2010, 01:50 AM
I can't get over this kid...He is unreal, He is Shawn Kemp 2.0 and 3 inches taller, its insane and amazing to watch what he is doing right now

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Blake is going to be on 5 of the Top 10 plays

Haha so true!

asandhu23
11-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Oh man... Monta's poster or Blake's poster?

here's Monta's poster with a better view. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_B_dTwCBxM

NYKnickFanatic
Only thing that pisses me off about Griffin is having a mouth piece. It is never in his mouth, just chewing it the whole game.

TopsyTurvy
Early candidate for dunk of the year.

dc5jdm
11-21-2010, 01:52 AM
is he a better athelete than lebron??

BaustinSali08
That was so sick! It looked like he jumped again in mid air!

D Roses Bulls
how come all the best dunks are happening on the knicks?

Mochalman
he better be in the slam dunk contest this year

still1ballin
Reminds me of Shawn Kemp

Sir Buckets
11-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Side note: how the hell does Vinny Del Negro, a guy who never coached before on any level, get to coach two number one overall picks, Rose and Griffin? This guy needs to write a book on manipulation or something. GIOAT? (Greatest Interviewer of All Time?)

29$JerZ
The man almost has a trouble double if no one knew

NYKnickFanatic
I can't get over this kid...He is unreal, He is Shawn Kemp 2.0 and 3 inches taller, its insane and amazing to watch what he is doing right now

Nice comparison.

daleja424
he might be the best LEAPER ever... but no he is not a better athlete b/c he does not move as well, run as fast, or have near the same hand eye... but as for explosiveness... he is up there at the top of the list...

SA5195
11-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Holy mother****ing god! That was sick!

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:55 AM
Amare just threw it down on Blake and Cook. :D

AI4MVP
ohh amare wants a little somethin somethin to

arkanian215

It was more on Cook. He already beat Blake.

Kashmir13579
he just did it to gallo

29$JerZ

Amar'e with the Blake like dunk :o

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:56 AM

Lol not even close.

Chacarron
11-21-2010, 01:56 AM

It wasn't as exciting as Blake's dunks.

29$JerZ
11-21-2010, 01:57 AM
It wasn't as exciting as Blake's dunks.

it was a joke

Chacarron
11-21-2010, 01:58 AM
it was a joke

I know.

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Blake Griffin is an absolute freak.

D Roses Bulls
he might be the best LEAPER ever... but no he is not a better athlete b/c he does not move as well, run as fast, or have near the same hand eye... but as for explosiveness... he is up there at the top of the list...

NO WAY!!!!! Dwight Howard comes to mine, Shawn Kemp, Josh Smith just to name a few

AI4MVP
Blake Griffin > LeBron

STAT1
11-21-2010, 02:01 AM
That wasn't even a dunk. That was a Dwight Howard "superman dunk"

Draco
11-21-2010, 02:02 AM
If I could somehow get the league to replace Boozer with Griffin I'd be so happy.

king4day
11-21-2010, 02:02 AM
Looked more like he dunked around him. Mozgov wasn't under the basket. I probably need to see a clearer video but looked like he pushed Mozgovs face too. How are the Clips so bad this year with this guy on the team though?

D1JM
11-21-2010, 02:10 AM
mozgov just got tea bagged

daleja424
11-21-2010, 02:11 AM
NO WAY!!!!! Dwight Howard comes to mine, Shawn Kemp, Josh Smith just to name a few

I dont remember a lot of kemp... but griffin no doubt is more explosive than howard and smith IMO... no doubt

HeaTxRipZz
11-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Kemp was nasty back in the day literally jumping out of the gym id say he reminds me alot of that

JiffyMix88
11-21-2010, 02:16 AM
wow he got head a dunked at the same time!

D Roses Bulls
11-21-2010, 02:16 AM
I dont remember a lot of kemp... but griffin no doubt is more explosive than howard and smith IMO... no doubt

maybe smith, but no way howard...... howard can jump higher then anyone in the game today........ I mean the dude can dunk on a 12ft rim...... this video here is from 2008 but look at that number 1 dunk and tell me if anyone in the game today can do that. cause i highly doubt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmlDqPtHV-E

what54!?
11-21-2010, 02:17 AM
damn that was nasty. shawn kemp 2.0. He beasted tonight.....yet the clips still lost. :laugh2: