PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey

Tony_Starks
10-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Now this is coming straight from the mouth of a well respected HOF coach who is definitely not known for being biased toward AI. He says what real basketball fans (non haters) have been saying all summer....

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The news earlier this week that former NBA superstar Allen Iverson could be ending his career playing in Turkey made Larry Brown wince Thursday. It clearly bothered him.

Larry Brown and Allen Iverson, 2002
Brown, now coaching the Charlotte Bobcats, was the one most responsible for molding Iverson into the player he became -- one of the league's all-time greats.

They were together -- often in a love/hate relationship -- for six seasons in Philadelphia, reaching the NBA Finals in 2001. During their run together, Iverson became the NBA's Most Valuable Player, led the league in scoring three times, and twice was named All-NBA first team.

"Nobody who has done as much as Allen has done for this league should have to be in Turkey playing, to end his career,'' Brown said before the Bobcats-Magic game Thursday. "We have one of the most special players ever in our sport, who still has something left. I feel terrible about this. That is not how he should be ending his career.''

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/14/larry-brown-allen-iverson-deserves-better-than-finishing-career/

Iverson, 35, is considering a $2 million, one-year offer from Besiktas Cola Turka, according to his business partner Gary Moore. Iverson wanted to play this season in the NBA, but he found no one was interested, including the Bobcats.

He struggled last season with a variety of issues, starting the year and playing three games with Memphis, clashing with the coaching staff over his role before asking for his release. He later played 25 games with Philadelphia, averaged 13.9 points, but he left because of family issues.

Throughout his career, Iverson (6-0, 165 pounds) has been regarded as one of the toughest, pound-for-pound players in league history, both dynamic on the court but divisive in the locker room.

Brown said the Bobcats seriously considered signing Iverson last season, but he and majority partner Michael Jordan opted against it because of how it might affect the younger guards they were trying to develop.

"I remember an NBA coaches' meeting this summer, someone from the NBA staff, talking to me about 'hey this is not the way Allen should be ending his career,' " Brown said. "The commissioner (David Stern) doesn't want to see it happen like this. I feel terrible about it. He did so much for me, and my career.''

Although most everyone agrees that Iverson still could contribute to an NBA team, they also wonder how he would accept a reduced role after being a starter and star for so many years. It was an issue he never was comfortable with last season.

"I wish I was in a position to help him, where it wouldn't affect the other guys I'm coaching,'' Brown said. "He needs to be on a great team that has a chance to win (a championship) and could utilize what he does. He doesn't need to be in Turkey.''

edit- my bad I screwed the title up. Should be "done as much as Iverson."

if someone could help me out Id appreciate it.

dnewguy
10-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Really? He's the reason no teams wants him, his ego killed his career. I could care less if he plays in Iran.

BoognishMN
10-15-2010, 09:59 AM
He choose his path, if he wasn't such a distraction and could accept that he's lost a step he'd e great as an instant offense type 6th man. The guy couldn't even find a job with a major euroleauge team. As Marcellus Wallace said "That's pride ****in' with you. **** pride! Pride only hurts, it never helps."

Evolution23
10-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Overrated career and player. He hasn't done anything worth respecting. When did it become cool to like selfish players that have huge egos?

News24/7
10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Overrated career and player. He hasn't done anything worth respecting. When did it become cool to like selfish players that have huge egos?

ask the people who like lebron, kobe, pretty much any player on the celtics, etc...

it's pretty much the same thing with girls. Girls like *******s/bad boys lol.

Hawkeye15
10-15-2010, 10:24 AM
then tell him to retire Larry.

Hellcrooner
10-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Bob Mcadoo?

DOminique wilkins?

Artis GiLmore?

Byron Scott?

Is not like no Nba players have gonto europe to retire....

save the knicks
10-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Whats wrong with going to Europe? I think this just shows how biased Larry Brown is. I bet every foreign player hes had got buried. Even Paul Pierce was talking about retiring in Europe.

el_primo_nano
10-15-2010, 10:33 AM
True, but its A.I's fault he is there. Guys just gotta learn when to let go

Hellcrooner
10-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Whats wrong with going to Europe? I think this just shows how biased Larry Brown is. I bet every foreign player hes had got buried. Even Paul Pierce was talking about retiring in Europe.

Now we know what happened with Darko.

Had he had 20 mpg when he was developing he would have been something ocmpletley different

CB4AB7VC15
10-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Really? He's the reason no teams wants him, his ego killed his career. I could care less if he plays in Iran.

:facepalm: Coming from a guy who thinks Durant is better than MJ. What do u know.

save the knicks
10-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Had he had 20 mpg when he was developing he would have been something ocmpletley different

That didn't even cross my mind but it makes total sense

NYKalltheway
10-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Bob Mcadoo? Galis says hello
DOminique wilkins? :worthy:

Artis GiLmore? Galis says hello

Byron Scott? :worthy:

Iverson was quite an overrated player btw, but he still was good. He was overrated in the sense that people considered him the next Jordan which clearly he was not. But at least a Top 3 player during his prime

Double_R
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM

What's wrong with going to Europe... that's like finishing your career in the D League... That is like Henry going to the MLS to finish his career...

NYKNYGNYY
10-15-2010, 10:57 AM
then retire , but maybe he would go there and like it ****, i would love to play in Europe get to travel the world, im sure the heat will take him lol

xbrackattackx
10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I smell Bullsh__, This sounds like Larry Campaigning for a old friend. If he cared that much he would get Jordan to sign him to a non-guaranteed Vet Min and at least try him out.

NBA-GMaster
10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
WHY not sign him instead?? Larry Brown and Allen Iverson reunion

NYKalltheway
10-15-2010, 11:13 AM
What's wrong with going to Europe... that's like finishing your career in the D League... That is like Henry going to the MLS to finish his career...

yeah... or back in highschool :facepalm:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-15-2010, 11:13 AM

theres nothin overrated about a 5'11" 160 pound player who went out there everynight against dudes who were ALWAYS bigger and stronger then he was, and still poured in 35. please don't make me name is accomplishments. i think i dissed u enough.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-15-2010, 11:14 AM

who asked? :\

Jaji
10-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree with Brown 100%. AI is one of the all time greats. An NBA icon. The braids and tats scared all the conservatives. They couldn't wait for the day he could no longer drop 30 a game so they could kick him to the curb. He could easily contribute to a lot of teams. Its a shame.

C-Dub
10-15-2010, 11:30 AM
^im with ya :) but i aint even going to get into it with haters. i can guarantee they wouldnt have even made the rotation if they were in the nba at his size.
oh, whoever said the comment about LBJ and Kobe having big egos and being overrated... +1 AGREED. AI might not be as good as them, but he also isnt the only thing sportcenter talks about to the point where you want to puke cuz you here his name so much. there are more ppl in the nba then kobe and lbj. feels good to be a hater

C-Dub
10-15-2010, 11:33 AM
BTW, i honestly heard somewhere that MJ was considering a comeback and wanted to like hand the team over to someone else so he could play again, why not have an AI and MJ and Larry brown team? thatd be dope haha

AI
MJ
Jackson
Wallace
diaw or whoever they got

seriously tho, if brown thinks AI still has it then he should convince MJ to sign him, if anything MJ would have a great affect on AIs game. and jackson and wallace seem like AIs typa people, i think the chemistry would work

llemon
10-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Larry Brown once again displays his incredible talent of talking out of all his body's orifices simultaneously.

Hawkeye15
10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Larry Brown once again displays his incredible talent of talking out of all his body's orifices simultaneously.

tough to do too

Chronz
10-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Or hed be the exact same guy hes always been

Chronz
10-15-2010, 01:26 PM
BTW, i honestly heard somewhere that MJ was considering a comeback and wanted to like hand the team over to someone else so he could play again, why not have an AI and MJ and Larry brown team? thatd be dope haha

AI
MJ
Jackson
Wallace
diaw or whoever they got

seriously tho, if brown thinks AI still has it then he should convince MJ to sign him, if anything MJ would have a great affect on AIs game. and jackson and wallace seem like AIs typa people, i think the chemistry would work
Your optimism is obnoxious

Sadds The Gr8
10-15-2010, 01:30 PM

this.

Hellcrooner
10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Im tired of the Iverson is the best small guy blah blah blah.
I guess this people missed that 6-0 ( wow i guess 1 inch is sooooooooo muuuuuuchhhhh a difference) I thomas leading his team to back to back titles having to get rid of the alleged Goat and his bulls Larry 3 titles Bird Celtics and Show time 5 time champons lakers who happened to have a 6,9 Point guard ( taok bout playing taller players.).

Btw the most skilled ever midget has to be Mugsy bogues, not only short for nba but short for normal life and still could deal with having to play dudes almsot twice as tall on a day basis and become a starter, talk bout effort and having to be a total genius with your skills to overcome a BIG BIG BIG BIG phisical disadtvantage and still be succesfull.

llemon
10-15-2010, 01:34 PM
tough to do too

Not for LB. He has made a career of it.

llemon
10-15-2010, 01:39 PM
I guess this people missed that 6-0 ( wow i guess 1 inch is sooooooooo muuuuuuchhhhh a difference) I thomas leading his team to back to back titles having to get rid of the alleged Goat and his bulls Larry 3 titles Bird Celtics and Show time 5 time champons lakers who happened to have a 6,9 Point guard ( taok bout playing taller players.).

I attribute much of Isiah's and the Pistons' success to the talented and heady play of Joe Dumars.

jerseybostonian
10-15-2010, 01:45 PM
ask the people who like lebron, kobe, pretty much any player on the celtics, etc...

You mean winning championships is selfish?

jerseybostonian
10-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Iverson deserves it. I don't need to tell anyone that he's not what he used to be, so he shouldn't be looked at as a future hall of famer when signing a contract. If he became more of a traditional point guard, he'd find a job pretty easily in North America.

CLASSOF72
10-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't hire AI to wash the team bus at this point in his career. He could probably offer some reasonable production, but at way to high of a chemesty cost. AI can't contain his mega ego and any GM worth his beans knows that. AI may be the single greatest waist of superstar talent in league history.

abe_froman
10-15-2010, 01:55 PM
how is living the high life in turkey a bad thing?? :confused:

kblo247
10-15-2010, 03:58 PM
AI doesn't deserve ****. He dug his own grave.

He chose not to practice hard and actually build chemistry with one of the numerous sidekicks (Stack, Hughes, Kukoc, KVH, Big Dog, Webber) Phili brought in for him. He chose to spend as much time in Denver clubbing as he did playing instead of working and figuring out how to make the most of him and Melo's tandem. He chose to throw a fit about being benched in Detroit and left the team as a result of it. He chose to sign the deal in Memphis to be the 6th man and then pout because they wanted to play Mayo and Conley over him (won more after getting rid of him). He chose to go back to Phil and have people question his motives.

AI is a hof player, but like Shaq he never truly improved. He used the hell out of his god given talents and was great, but the second that speed faded away teams had to weigh the negative against the positives. He is a box office draw and can still score, but he is also a cancer, a poor defender, a volume shooter, a poor worker, a guy you don't want leading young guys, and a guy who put himself in the situation he is in. He had his chances to prove he could changes his spots, but he couldn't and that is why he isn't in the league today.

The NBA didn't wrong AI, AI wronged AI and he should know that since he is supposed to be the answer.

CLASSOF72
10-15-2010, 04:11 PM
AI doesn't deserve ****. He dug his own grave.

He chose not to practice hard and actually build chemistry with one of the numerous sidekicks (Stack, Hughes, Kukoc, KVH, Big Dog, Webber) Phili brought in for him. He chose to spend as much time in Denver clubbing as he did playing instead of working and figuring out how to make the most of him and Melo's tandem. He chose to throw a fit about being benched in Detroit and left the team as a result of it. He chose to sign the deal in Memphis to be the 6th man and then pout because they wanted to play Mayo and Conley over him (won more after getting rid of him). He chose to go back to Phil and have people question his motives.

AI is a hof player, but like Shaq he never truly improved. He used the hell out of his god given talents and was great, but the second that speed faded away teams had to weigh the negative against the positives. He is a box office draw and can still score, but he is also a cancer, a poor defender, a volume shooter, a poor worker, a guy you don't want leading young guys, and a guy who put himself in the situation he is in. He had his chances to prove he could changes his spots, but he couldn't and that is why he isn't in the league today.

The NBA didn't wrong AI, AI wronged AI and he should know that since he is supposed to be the answer.

I remember AI declaring it was his team and his ball before CWebb even got off the plane in Philly.

dodie53
10-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Ai needs to bring his ego down a notch or two,
then he's going to be ok.

godolphins
10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
He choose his path, if he wasn't such a distraction and could accept that he's lost a step he'd e great as an instant offense type 6th man. The guy couldn't even find a job with a major euroleauge team. As Marcellus Wallace said "That's pride ****in' with you. **** pride! Pride only hurts, it never helps."

This

Kakaroach
10-15-2010, 05:33 PM
He deserves better, but his ego won't allow. And try keeping it a little more clean fellas.

king4day
10-15-2010, 05:39 PM
It's his own fault if he won't accept being a 6th man. No pity here.

Wade>You
10-15-2010, 05:40 PM
It's his own fault if he won't accept being a 6th man. No pity here./thread

blacknell
10-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Overrated? LOL your a joke nothing more should be said to you

Hustlenomics
10-15-2010, 05:51 PM
overrated? Lol your a joke nothing more should be said to you

+ 1

bholly
10-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Such an absolutely ******** claim, suggesting he's anti-foreign players in some way. There's no evidence of that. I don't have time to go through his career rosters, but for example Diaw is playing the most minutes of his career under Brown. Mutombo was a huge part of the Sixer teams for the years he was there. That's just off the top of my head. Claiming he must be anti-foreign because he wants his friend to be able to retire in the NBA is beyond stupid.

Tony_Starks
10-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Wow.... So Iverson is the first superstar to have an ego trip problem, and apparently this negates the fact that he pretty much served all of his peers in his prime, was a MVP, took a garbage team to the finals, crossed up MJ in an unspeakable manor in rookie year, stepped over Tyron Lue, dunked on Centers, led the league in scoring, influenced the league to bring in zone D, multiple allstar, multiple all nba....on and on.

Lets just keep it real for a second. Iverson was the first superstar to bring the hiphop culture to the NBA in a MAJOR unapologetic way. He impacted the entire culture of the NBA, like it or not. Hey paved the way for the Carmelo's and other stars who represent that today. A whole lotta people had and still have a big problem with that. But he was so good there was nothing they could do but be mad. Now that he's on the downslope the haters have an opportunity to do what they wanted to do for a long time and that is make him go away.....

Hustlenomics
10-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Wow.... So Iverson is the first superstar to have an ego trip problem, and apparently this negates the fact that he pretty much served all of his peers in his prime, was a MVP, took a garbage team to the finals, crossed up MJ in an unspeakable manor in rookie year, stepped over Tyron Lue, dunked on Centers, led the league in scoring, influenced the league to bring in zone D, multiple allstar, multiple all nba....on and on.

Lets just keep it real for a second. Iverson was the first superstar to bring the hiphop culture to the NBA in a MAJOR unapologetic way. He impacted the entire culture of the NBA, like it or not. Hey paved the way for the Carmelo's and other stars who represent that today. A whole lotta people had and still have a big problem with that. But he was so good there was nothing they could do but be mad. Now that he's on the downslope the haters have an opportunity to do what they wanted to do for a long time and that is make him go away.....

+1
they been waiting on his downfall since 96'

kblo247
10-15-2010, 09:23 PM
He made himself go away.

You know damn well that Phili brought in sidekick after sidekick and he didn't click with any of them that had offensive mindsets. He didn't even put in the time to do so, which is where good practice habits would have helped him.

You also know that he never really improved as a player. He was always inefficient even at his best. He was pure speed, durable, and atheltic little freak that could get in the passing lanes. He however has no semblance of a post game. He was an average one on one defender at best and below average alot of the time. He never really learned how to play off the ball for long periods of time.

You know he didn't make the most out of his time in Denver with all his clubbing. You know he signed with Memphis and said he would accept a 6th man role in his press conference and then pouted when he had to go through with it. You also know that the Griz played better without him. You know that the Nuggets played better when they had a guard that had some professionalism in Billups.

Lets be real, AI burned every bridge on his own and his talent as of right now doesn't outweigh the cancer that the little malcontent brings into a locker room. If he wasn't a cancer and could actually act like a professional he would be on a team; hell if he still could change the game then he would at least be given a shot despite his poor work habits, locker room problems, and declining game just like Shaq.

It is sad that his career crumbled, but at the end of the day he chose for it to go down this way.

C-Dub
10-15-2010, 09:29 PM
wow.... So iverson is the first superstar to have an ego trip problem, and apparently this negates the fact that he pretty much served all of his peers in his prime, was a mvp, took a garbage team to the finals, crossed up mj in an unspeakable manor in rookie year, stepped over tyron lue, dunked on centers, led the league in scoring, influenced the league to bring in zone d, multiple allstar, multiple all nba....on and on.

Lets just keep it real for a second. Iverson was the first superstar to bring the hiphop culture to the nba in a major unapologetic way. He impacted the entire culture of the nba, like it or not. Hey paved the way for the carmelo's and other stars who represent that today. A whole lotta people had and still have a big problem with that. But he was so good there was nothing they could do but be mad. Now that he's on the downslope the haters have an opportunity to do what they wanted to do for a long time and that is make him go away.....

+2

Hellcrooner
10-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Made the inals beating antoher 3 crappy tems form teh crappy east from the early 00s.

Talk properly.
And to be honest they shoudl have fallen isn second round.

Jewelz0376
10-15-2010, 10:09 PM
He made himself go away.

You know damn well that Phili brought in sidekick after sidekick and he didn't click with any of them that had offensive mindsets. He didn't even put in the time to do so, which is where good practice habits would have helped him.

You also know that he never really improved as a player. He was always inefficient even at his best. He was pure speed, durable, and atheltic little freak that could get in the passing lanes. He however has no semblance of a post game. He was an average one on one defender at best and below average alot of the time. He never really learned how to play off the ball for long periods of time.

You know he didn't make the most out of his time in Denver with all his clubbing. You know he signed with Memphis and said he would accept a 6th man role in his press conference and then pouted when he had to go through with it. You also know that the Griz played better without him. You know that the Nuggets played better when they had a guard that had some professionalism in Billups.

Lets be real, AI burned every bridge on his own and his talent as of right now doesn't outweigh the cancer that the little malcontent brings into a locker room. If he wasn't a cancer and could actually act like a professional he would be on a team; hell if he still could change the game then he would at least be given a shot despite his poor work habits, locker room problems, and declining game just like Shaq.

It is sad that his career crumbled, but at the end of the day he chose for it to go down this way.

Which sidekick are you talking about?? Broken down CWebb?? Big Dogg?? come on he didn't play with a legit all star that could score until what 12 yrs into his career? lol

Please explain why AI would have a post game?? :facepalm: That might have been one of the dumbest lines i've ever read in the history of psd.. AI should have a post game?? yea ok hahahha

Hustlenomics
10-15-2010, 10:15 PM
lmao 6' 165 pound iverson is going to post up shooting guards

bagwell368
10-15-2010, 10:24 PM
He deserves nothing. The game gave him everything. If couldn't marshall his **** better, too bad, no second chances in this life.

Hustlenomics
10-15-2010, 10:27 PM
no second chances in this life but Kobe gets one after he rapes a woman
pacman jones gets 5 of them

KTheo77
10-15-2010, 10:51 PM
There is no doubt that Iverson created the situation he is in today. He has made many poor decisions throughout his career which he alone is responsible for. That being said, Iverson was a great player. You can hate on him for his attitude but not for his game. He could put up 30 on anyone in the league and was fearless in the way he played. If you can't forgive him for his mistakes, at least respect him for the way he played the game.

llemon
10-15-2010, 11:03 PM
no second chances in this life but Kobe gets one after he rapes a woman
pacman jones gets 5 of them

Life can be so cruel to millionaires sometimes

Mrphilly
10-15-2010, 11:10 PM
He deserves nothing. The game gave him everything. If couldn't marshall his **** better, too bad, no second chances in this life.
LOL, do you really believe this BS??? What did the game give Iverson? This game is nothing without the great players that play it. This League would fall on its face without Kobe, Lebron Durant etc, etc, etc. The game should thank Iverson.

Iverson has made many bad decisions in his career, But if people like T Mac, Adam Morrison, can get contracts why can't Iverson.

Iverson is better than at LEAST 2 or 3 people on every NBA roster.

llemon
10-15-2010, 11:35 PM
LOL, do you really believe this BS??? What did the game give Iverson? This game is nothing without the great players that play it. This League would fall on its face without Kobe, Lebron Durant etc, etc, etc. The game should thank Iverson.

Iverson has made many bad decisions in his career, But if people like T Mac, Adam Morrison, can get contracts why can't Iverson.

Iverson is better than at LEAST 2 or 3 people on every NBA roster.

Iverson was given an UNBELIEVABLE salary and fame. Not enough?

And AI MAY be better than some players on NBA rosters, but there are few bigger headaches in the NBA than Allen Iverson

nipo10847
10-15-2010, 11:48 PM
I agree with Larry Brown.

llemon
10-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Meaning Iverson should not play anywhere but the NBA, but Larry Brown's team is not stupid enough to sigh AI?

RipCity32
10-15-2010, 11:57 PM
he doesnt deserve to make money anywhere hes a very selfish person:mad:

1hardcore
10-16-2010, 12:31 AM
In professional sports worldwide... i believe that it's not a right to be a part of it .. It's a priveledge... You work hard at it from when you're a kid, going to school, etc..... So i think it's important to have good character and integrity as well. And it doesnt matter how good you are or how much you make.... what goes around comes around!

if youre in trouble with the law, or play poorly then expect consequences!!!!

There are thousands of athletes waiting at the door for the opportunity to play.........

I'm sorry ... .Allen Iverson is awesome as a player. As an individual though he's got some issues.... If he can be clean ..... Like Randy Moss per se .....

than i'm all supportive of that

RocketsRule
10-16-2010, 12:36 AM
He probably does deserve to finish his career on a contending team but his ego is too big to allow himself to take a secondary role on a championship caliber team. Considering what he wants, Turkey probably is the best place for at this point in his career.

Evolution23
10-16-2010, 05:07 PM
theres nothin overrated about a 5'11" 160 pound player who went out there everynight against dudes who were ALWAYS bigger and stronger then he was, and still poured in 35. please don't make me name is accomplishments. i think i dissed u enough.

if hes so great why didnt any team sign him?

C-Dub
10-16-2010, 09:25 PM
i cant believe how long these AI threads go on, if people were talking bout kobe or lbj like this itd benn closed a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

Forbo
10-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Why havent the Bobcats been knocking?

black1605
10-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Brown wants him, Jordan nixed it.

Forbo
10-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Brown wants him, Jordan nixed it.

Jordan wants his legacy to be flawless, he probably didn't like being crossed up by a rookie. ;)

masalex1205
10-16-2010, 11:59 PM
He deserves better but he's got to meet teams halfway

Hustlenomics
10-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Why havent the Bobcats been knocking?

because of what happened in my avatar

WolvesJagsOs
10-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Or hed be the exact same guy hes always been

whats wrong with who he is right now? He has been showing he can be a pretty solid guy for the Wolves.

OA SLAY
10-17-2010, 12:11 AM
all this bashing is disgusting. how old are half you fools, what have you ever done?

OA SLAY
10-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Jordan wants his legacy to be flawless, he probably didn't like being crossed up by a rookie. ;)

:clap:

Tony_Starks
10-17-2010, 10:53 AM
all this bashing is disgusting. how old are half you fools, what have you ever done?

I agree. Judging by the sheer hate and the fact they're completely downplaying or ignoring his accomplishments I'd say they're either

A) 15 and under and have no idea who AI is and what he did

or

B) Mid life crises age and still bitter that their sons took down their Mark Price poster and put Iverson up instead.....

YoungOne
10-17-2010, 11:18 AM

:facepalm: boston is one of the most unselfish team..

RenegadeRiot36
10-17-2010, 12:08 PM
I cant understand all the hate people have for him, without ever even meeting the guy. People that have had contact with him are entitled an opinion about his character. Everyone else, keep yours to your self. Have any of you thought maybe some of his stereotypes have been media generated? Has the media ever even swept your mind? People make such a big deal about how much of an ******* AI is, but how do you know other much less publicized players arent even more pricks?

And to people that say AI was overrated, i say :facepalm:. Have you ever seen a game, stop to finish, with him playing? it was something special. Iverson is one of the all time greats and anyone that knows anything about basketball cant dispute that. Not only was he one of the best scorers to ever step on an nba court, but he was the one that brought the current nba culture to light.

Also, for u haters out there. do me a favor, and watch the espn 30-30 on him and the bowling alley incident. He has faced adversity in every part of his life since he was born and he continues to do so now. He has fought alcoholism, a gambling problem, an extreme illness for his daughter, a divorce... all in the past year and a half. Next step is likely bankruptcy Give the man a break and get a life. find something better to do than kick a man while hes down. People disgust me sometimes

SugeKnight
10-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Woulda been a great fit with the bobcats actually. Couldve atleast got them some scoring

Hellcrooner
10-17-2010, 12:26 PM
I cant understand all the hate people have for him, without ever even meeting the guy. People that have had contact with him are entitled an opinion about his character. Everyone else, keep yours to your self. Have any of you thought maybe some of his stereotypes have been media generated? Has the media ever even swept your mind? People make such a big deal about how much of an @sshole AI is, but how do you know other much less publicized players arent even more pricks?

And to people that say AI was overrated, i say :facepalm:. Have you ever seen a game, stop to finish, with him playing? it was something special. Iverson is one of the all time greats and anyone that knows anything about basketball cant dispute that. Not only was he one of the best scorers to ever step on an nba court, but he was the one that brought the current nba culture to light.

Also, for u haters out there. do me a favor, and watch the espn 30-30 on him and the bowling alley incident. He has faced adversity in every part of his life since he was born and he continues to do so now. He has fought alcoholism, a gambling problem, an extreme illness for his daughter, a divorce... all in the past year and a half. Next step is likely bankruptcy Give the man a break and get a life. find something better to do than kick a man while hes down. People disgust me sometimes you mean being selsfihs, not caring to pass the ball, forgetting bout teamates and caring only for yourself alongside being stupid, being a gangaster, making rap teh only music that can be related to nba, having tatoos covering all your body to show how "tough" you are , acting like a dick head unruly dude from the ghetto etc etc etc etc.?

Yep thats one of the reasons i cant see the 30% unefficient Chucker :D

RenegadeRiot36
10-17-2010, 06:25 PM
you mean being selsfihs, not caring to pass the ball, forgetting bout teamates and caring only for yourself alongside being stupid, being a gangaster, making rap teh only music that can be related to nba, having tatoos covering all your body to show how "tough" you are , acting like a dick head unruly dude from the ghetto etc etc etc etc.?

Yep thats one of the reasons i cant see the 30% unefficient Chucker :D

you do realize that that is one of the reasons the nba skyrocketed in popularity, right? The nba was stagnant, with no real culture or new stars. Suddenly, all these guys from the streets came in a business was booming. People saw the music, the hair, the tattoos and it gave them another reason to like the nba. And most people give most of the credit to who... Allen Iverson. You must be one of the people that want to the game to go back to short shorts and no style.

Another thing i missed in the previous post was how Iverson changed the game for all the normal sized guards (ie not including Magic, Oscar...). Before him, name a guard that wasnt afraid to go inside for a dunk/layup (watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe66EodgWww or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvI_iTbgTwU ). Point guards before him were there to give the distribute the ball and dish it off to big guys. If they were open, they would shoot. Now with Iverson, he brought the element of making opponents look silly with scoring. He had it all and was the first undersized player to be a pure, true scorer that couldnt be stopped. He paved the way for other smaller guys by inventing the Scoring Guard Position.

Mplsman
10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
I agree. AI used to be sick.

hugepatsfan
10-17-2010, 11:05 PM
AI was damn good in his prime. But he got exactly what he deserves. He refused to accpept his declining athleticism and still thinks he is a star. No NBA team can have him unless he accpets his own age-imposed limitations.

sharqstealth
10-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Then why not get him Larry to your team? You know what's the reason teams don't like him. Its all just a consequence of Iverson's fault and his ego.

llemon
10-18-2010, 01:18 AM
Another thing i missed in the previous post was how Iverson changed the game for all the normal sized guards (ie not including Magic, Oscar...). Before him, name a guard that wasnt afraid to go inside for a dunk/layup

Tiny Archibald

todu82
10-18-2010, 09:44 AM
It's a wonder that a NBA team would not sign him. Yes he's best as a bench player now but as Larry Brown said Iverson should not finish his career in Europe.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2010, 09:55 AM
to those who say he is not overrated, if he was an efficient player in the slightest, he would be signed right now. But a 5'11" guard who can't shoot or play defense is not needed when he loses his elite athletic ability.
Iverson, when all said and done, will be exposed for what he was. A high volume shooter surrounded by the perfect complimentary players, in a perfect strength of conference scenario. I think Iverson was a good player, but he should never be talked about as a prolific scoring machine. He was just one of the all time greatest chuckers.

Hustlenomics
10-18-2010, 10:37 AM
^more like a hall of famer ..keep trying to discredit him though

Hawkeye15
10-18-2010, 10:43 AM
^more like a hall of famer ..keep trying to discredit him though

not tough to make the HOF. I am not discrediting him in the slightest. But to say he was a great scorer is not true. He scored a lot of points, but he was not a great scorer. Those are two different things

Hellcrooner
10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
not tough to make the HOF. I am not discrediting him in the slightest. But to say he was a great scorer is not true. He scored a lot of points, but he was not a great scorer. Those are two different things

Is not worth discussing it.
We saw his career beign adutls and having seen a ton of basketbll before.

they saw it as impresionable kids and got caught in the hype, the media brainwashing and the big averages not being mature enought to see beyond the plain stats.

Imagine, they talk bout him being small and driving in, they obviusly never saw, archibald, free, murphgy, thomas etc doing it in an era when it was legal that the other teams player smacked you down like a mosquito whiel iverson played in an era where you cnt breeze on someone (specially "starsQ) withouth being called a fouls.

nipo10847
10-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Allen Iverson is being underrated by some people here and I don't blame them for that because his current situation is good enough to make people forget his great years. God, I feel bad for him now. A lot of people used to worship him back in the days. Regardless of the present, AI will always remain one of my fav players of all time. Dude was sick in his prime.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2010, 11:42 AM
The one big thing that is underrated about Iverson is his great supporting cast. It continues to never get the credit it deserved.

VicRoyJr
10-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Well if he would have settled for being a reserve, he would have had some interest around the league, but his ego wouldn't allow it and wanted starter minutes, he only has himself to blame for the way his career is going to end

Mrphilly
10-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Its obvious that people are repeating what they hear or read to bash Iverson.

They say he is a selfish person, as if theyy actully know him him.

They say he needs to accept that he is a bench player. Why can't he be a starter, because he is older?
;ust because he didn't want to back up a bum in Memphis doesn't mean he is not willing to come off the bench. He did it in philly in his second go round.

The Majority of the negative things you hear about Iverson comes from the media. I've never heard one of his teammates say one bad word about him. Even in detroit when they said he brought that team down. All his teammates said it was the coach, put people still blame it on iverson.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2010, 12:07 PM

They say he needs to accept that he is a bench player. Why can't he be a starter, because he is older?
;ust because he didn't want to back up a bum in Memphis doesn't mean he is not willing to come off the bench. He did it in philly in his second go round.

The Majority of the negative things you hear about Iverson comes from the media. I've never heard one of his teammates say one bad word about him. Even in detroit when they said he brought that team down. All his teammates said it was the coach, put people still blame it on iverson.

yeah, I have never sensed that Iverson was a selfish person. I think he would accept coming off the bench for a contender anyday of the week. But the contenders probably have no interest in him at this stage of his career

JayW_1023
10-18-2010, 12:12 PM
The one big thing that is underrated about Iverson is his great supporting cast. It continues to never get the credit it deserved.

Indeed...it wasn't a 'garbage team' AI led to the finals...most of the guys on that roster were elite defenders who didn't care about offensive stats.

tones1012
10-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Im very sad to see this.

Double_R
10-18-2010, 12:45 PM
All these haters... the bottom line is that no one has ever had the impact that he has had at that size period. He was a unique talent. I think it's funny that people act like it is easy to take a bunch of shots a game at 6 foot. He was a great scorer and when he took the sixers to the finals that was one impressive feat and all you who keep saying he had such a good team around him at that time, then how come most of those guys were mediocre when they weren't on his team. I think it is insane that people want to sit here and bash a guy who played his heart out night in and night out, just because the last few years he dropped off. Name another 6 footer that had any where near the longevity that he had. Saying he was exposed the last few years is purely stupid, the fact is when your smaller than everyone on the court, you have to rely your athleticism and it was dwindling; not to mention that he was in situations where it was hard for him to gel being the type of player he was. I guess if he was exposed, then most every player that gets old, gets exposed.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2010, 12:52 PM
All these haters... the bottom line is that no one has ever had the impact that he has had at that size period. He was a unique talent. I think it's funny that people act like it is easy to take a bunch of shots a game at 6 foot. He was a great scorer and when he took the sixers to the finals that was one impressive feat and all you who keep saying he had such a good team around him at that time, then how come most of those guys were mediocre when they weren't on his team. I think it is insane that people want to sit here and bash a guy who played his heart out night in and night out, just because the last few years he dropped off. Name another 6 footer that had any where near the longevity that he had. Saying he was exposed the last few years is purely stupid, the fact is when your smaller than everyone on the court, you have to rely your athleticism and it was dwindling; not to mention that he was in situations where it was hard for him to gel being the type of player he was. I guess if he was exposed, then most every player that gets old, gets exposed.

I am speaking of his prime. How old are you?

Hellcrooner
10-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Isiaih thomas? 2 rings.

llemon
10-18-2010, 01:55 PM

What blinds you Iverson fans? That 'mediocre' talent is what got Iverson to the Finals in '01.

When that 'mediocre 'talent' started to get injured, there 'mediocrity' couldn't be replaced, as that talents were exactly what Iverson needed for a team with him on it to compete.

Hope he can work out the 'fines' thing in Turkey.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
What blinds you Iverson fans? That 'mediocre' talent is what got Iverson to the Finals in '01.

When that 'mediocre 'talent' started to get injured, there 'mediocrity' couldn't be replaced, as that talents were exactly what Iverson needed for a team with him on it to compete.

Hope he can work out the 'fines' thing in Turkey.

I have no problem with someone saying Iverson was a terrific player. But by no means was he ever a top NBA player, and was purely a high volume chucker who shot until one dropped. I have said for 10 years, the second his athletic ability drops, he is gonzo

Mrphilly
10-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Iverson was always a top NBA player. His reputation is the only reason his he is not on a NBA roster.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Iverson was always a top NBA player. His reputation is the only reason his he is not on a NBA roster.

that and his stats or effect in an NBA game at this point

Hellcrooner
10-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Mmore like 30% of 20000000000000000000000000 SHots is 30 somethig Ineffective but good looking points

but 30% of the 8 touches you get as a bench playe4r is 4ppg.

That more like the reason.

Hustlenomics
10-19-2010, 06:44 PM
yes because any average player makes it to the hall of fame and the third highest scoring average in NBA history means nothing

Allen Iverson is being underrated by some people here and I don't blame them for that because his current situation is good enough to make people forget his great years. God, I feel bad for him now. A lot of people used to worship him back in the days. Regardless of the present, AI will always remain one of my fav players of all time. Dude was sick in his prime.

+ 1

yes because his supporting cast was so excellent that they could have gone to the finals without him and he did absolutely nothing to help them get there

+1000

I have no problem with someone saying Iverson was a terrific player. But by no means was he ever a top NBA player, and was purely a high volume chucker who shot until one dropped. I have said for 10 years, the second his athletic ability drops, he is gonzo

yes because MVPS are never top players they are below average players that don't impact games at all ..yes since 1996 you've been waiting for his downfall that's nice

that and his stats or effect in an NBA game at this point

no I believe Mrphilly was right the first time he averaged a good amount of points in minimum minutes this year and spread the floor for the other players in philly and was a good team player

Gators123
10-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't feel bad for him. He did this to himself.

llemon
10-19-2010, 06:51 PM
no I believe Mrphilly was right the first time he averaged a good amount of points in minimum minutes this year and spread the floor for the other players in philly and was a good team player

Guess that's why Sixers were so anxious to get him back into camp this season.

Wade>You
10-19-2010, 06:55 PM
"Nobody who has done as much as Allen has done for this league should have to be in Turkey playing, to end his career,'' Brown said before the Bobcats-Magic game Thursday. "We have one of the most special players ever in our sport, who still has something left. I feel terrible about this. That is not how he should be ending his career.''You hear that Jordan? Get on the phone right now before Larry quits on you.

tangent12
10-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Iverson doesn't deserve ****.

Hustlenomics
10-19-2010, 07:13 PM
This message is hidden because llemon is on your ignore list.

nickdymez
10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I was just tellin a guy at work this exact same thing..

Tony_Starks
10-19-2010, 09:41 PM

I seriously disagree with that. Its easy to label someone a "chucker" but guess what it takes talent to be able to get all those buckets. You can give Devean George 50 shots a game and he probably wouldnt even score 50 points. AI in his prime was arguably one of the best in the league. He also played great defense, which no one wants to give him props for. He also handed out over 6 dimes for his career, pretty good for a "chucker."

I can go on and on about his accomplishments but Im sorry to say "he was never a top NBA player" just sounds like blatant hating. If thats the case Dominique Wilkins was a "chucker".....

JRisdabest
10-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I wore a.i shoes in middle school...it got me laid..thnx a.i

ryder78c
10-19-2010, 10:45 PM
A.I. should end his career with a good team i think the Blazers,Lakers,Spurs,Celtics,Magic,Nets,Bobcats,Bu lls should pick him up they all could use him well the blazers are my favorite team and AI is still one of my favorite players of all time so thats why i said them but every other team should give him a try

rabzouz 96
10-19-2010, 11:24 PM
to those who say he is not overrated, if he was an efficient player in the slightest, he would be signed right now. But a 5'11" guard who can't shoot or play defense is not needed when he loses his elite athletic ability.
Iverson, when all said and done, will be exposed for what he was. A high volume shooter surrounded by the perfect complimentary players, in a perfect strength of conference scenario. I think Iverson was a good player, but he should never be talked about as a prolific scoring machine. He was just one of the all time greatest chuckers.

i dont see how losing your athleticism is an argument for someone being overrated in his prime!?

RenegadeRiot36
10-19-2010, 11:33 PM
i dont see how losing your athleticism is an argument for someone being overrated in his prime!?

Exactly. People hear bits and pieces of different arguements against the man and they throw it all into a blender and pretend like its valid. They are the ones that have no clue about basketball and what he did for the game.

Hawkeye15
10-19-2010, 11:43 PM

I am sorry if I didn't make it clear what I meant was, a 5'11", 155 lb man, will lose value pretty quick when his elite seperation speed leaves.

I think the advanced stats show Iverson was indeed a great SG over time, but by no means should be in the discussion for best player in the NBA any given year he played

rabzouz 96
10-19-2010, 11:52 PM
I am sorry if I didn't make it clear what I meant was, a 5'11", 155 lb man, will lose value pretty quick when his elite seperation speed leaves.

I think the advanced stats show Iverson was indeed a great SG over time, but by no means should be in the discussion for best player in the NBA any given year he played

i can agree with the first statement now,
to the 2nd one, i dont think iverson not being among the best players excludes him from being among the best scorers to ever play. when it came to putting it in the basket, he just had a special talent, efficiently or not, he could still drive to the basket like only few others and create on this end of the floor.
now, if this style of play propelled his play to win is another question, but he definitely was sth special. and i think height or moreso the lack of it should never be a factor when it comes to discussing someones greatness in production. the only thing where it comes into play is discussing where it restricts a players effectivenes.
and no just because he once was sth doesnt mean he has a spot locked in the nba for him nowadays, if his behaviour and bodystate restrict him from being signed, so be it.

Hawkeye15
10-20-2010, 12:01 AM
i can agree with the first statement now,
to the 2nd one, i dont think iverson not being among the best players excludes him from being among the best scorers to ever play. when it came to putting it in the basket, he just had a special talent, efficiently or not, he could still drive to the basket like only few others and create on this end of the floor.
now, if this style of play propelled his play to win is another question, but he definitely was sth special. and i think height or moreso the lack of it should never be a factor when it comes to discussing someones greatness in production. the only thing where it comes into play is discussing where it restricts a players effectivenes.
and no just because he once was sth doesnt mean he has a spot locked in the nba for him nowadays, if his behaviour and bodystate restrict him from being signed, so be it.

then we agree...

rabzouz 96
10-20-2010, 12:05 AM
then we agree...

oh i thought you didnt see him as a profilic scoring machine. well,seems youre a smart man then :hi5:

daleja424
10-20-2010, 12:07 AM
If Brown was really that concerned he would sign the guy. but instead he says he doesnt wanna mess with what he has essentially...

well why would a good team want to gamble on him if an average team wont even do it...

llemon
10-20-2010, 12:15 AM
I seriously disagree with that. Its easy to label someone a "chucker" but guess what it takes talent to be able to get all those buckets. You can give Devean George 50 shots a game and he probably wouldnt even score 50 points. AI in his prime was arguably one of the best in the league. He also played great defense, which no one wants to give him props for. He also handed out over 6 dimes for his career, pretty good for a "chucker."

I can go on and on about his accomplishments but Im sorry to say "he was never a top NBA player" just sounds like blatant hating. If thats the case Dominique Wilkins was a "chucker".....

I have to agree on one point.

AI was better than Devean George.

Missing56&33
10-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Well he probably don't have to practice in Turkey.

ivylleague1'
10-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Hawkeye15 and Hellcrooner I do not want to bash you, but, please make intelligent statements about Iverson. He is the Big East defensive player of the year 2ce (Better than Camby, Ray Allen etc), regular season MVP, Allstar MVP (more than once the star of stars), all NBA first team player is not a Chucker, perennial top 10 in 3 (Scoring,Assists,and Steals) out 5
major categories (Scoring, Assists, Steals, Block and Rebound), Nba scoring champion 4 times, Nba steals champion 2ce or more times, holds the NBA record in the # of steals in a playoff game (Better than MJ etc in this aspect) and much much more !!!!!!! Iverson is the greatest and his record supports that. Last two years do not count, because he has not played a full season basketball. When he is healthy and in top form he is the best in the NBA.
My advice to him is to be Allen Iverson, and play like Allen Iverson. He is a starter and should choose to play for a team that he can help significantly. I support what Doc Rivers and Larry Brown said, and I expect George Karl to make a move.

COOLbeans
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Somebody sign this man!! he's one of the greatest ever!

CLASSOF72
10-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Hawkeye15 and Hellcrooner I do not want to bash you, but, please make intelligent statements about Iverson. He is the Big East defensive player of the year 2ce (Better than Camby, Ray Allen etc), regular season MVP, Allstar MVP (more than once the star of stars), all NBA first team player is not a Chucker, perennial top 10 in 3 (Scoring,Assists,and Steals) out 5
major categories (Scoring, Assists, Steals, Block and Rebound), Nba scoring champion 4 times, Nba steals champion 2ce or more times, holds the NBA record in the # of steals in a playoff game (Better than MJ etc in this aspect) and much much more !!!!!!! Iverson is the greatest and his record supports that. Last two years do not count, because he has not played a full season basketball. When he is healthy and in top form he is the best in the NBA.
My advice to him is to be Allen Iverson, and play like Allen Iverson. He is a starter and should choose to play for a team that he can help significantly. I support what Doc Rivers and Larry Brown said, and I expect George Karl to make a move.

He was also a thug with a bad attitude who pissed away his carreer to the point that nobody wants anything to do with him. The biggest waiste of the talent you've outlined that I've ever seen in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
10-20-2010, 02:39 PM

awards :D comletely subjective and voted by stupid sportwriters and corrupt ones tht bend to the sport shoe brands that pay them.

Sorry, but awards mean absolutley Nothing.

3RDASYSTEM
10-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Damn homie so i guess if ya took away SHAQ/KOBE/JORDAN/MAGIC/BIRD/LEBRON/KAREEM/RUSSELL/AI/WADE/STOCKTON/WEST/GARNETT Scoring/Rebounding/Assist/League MVP's/Finals MVP's then nobody would not accomplish anything because you said awards dont matter and last time i checked you get an award for pretty much all the big time achievements, im sorry AI has pretty much all outside of a ring, and just to think he's overrated
Hey i also heard that RILEY told AI to go overseas and play til midseason and he'll scoop him up, RILEY said he didnt want to invite AI to camp and not be in shape and have to cut him cause he respects him way too much, he wants AI to run the point..it makes sense to me now when i first heard LeBron say ''its going to be scary with me and Wade running the wings'' ....Bosh didnt wear number 4 so he could give it to the 2004 Olympian who wore that same number, go figure

Blazers#1Fan
10-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Btw the most skilled ever midget has to be Mugsy bogues, not only short for nba but short for normal life and still could deal with having to play dudes almsot twice as tall on a day basis and become a starter, talk bout effort and having to be a total genius with your skills to overcome a BIG BIG BIG BIG phisical disadtvantage and still be succesfull.

muggsy really! you just compared muggsy to AI....muggsy averaged like 10ppg a year and 1 year i think he had a double double average of 10ppg and 10APG thats not a very good comparison yeah muggsy was alright for his height muggsy and earl boykins are like the same player...but there no AI....AI averaged 33PPG and 7-8APG his last year before going to denver,yeah he was taller but AI is the best 5'10 player ever! im 5'10 and thats short compared to people 6'3"-7'5" brother in law is 6'8" and he towers over me AI is a top 10 great in my eyes

My Top 5(i careless what you think so dont comment)

MJ
KOBE
Wilt
Shaq
AI

C-Dub
10-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Hey i also heard that RILEY told AI to go overseas and play til midseason and he'll scoop him up, RILEY said he didnt want to invite AI to camp and not be in shape and have to cut him cause he respects him way too much, he wants AI to run the point..it makes sense to me now when i first heard LeBron say ''its going to be scary with me and Wade running the wings'' ....Bosh didnt wear number 4 so he could give it to the 2004 Olympian who wore that same number, go figure

dude, i hate the heat but would love to hope what your saying is true. where did you hear that?