PDA

View Full Version : What would your team offer Oden as an FA?

tyfreaks brotha
10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I strongly believe Oden, when healthy, is the overall best defensive center since Dikembe Motumbo. Yep. I think when healthy he makes a great impact defensivley than the likes of Dwight Howard...then when Alonzo Mourning was playing etc and etc....I think he can be that good. You add in a little low post action and when healthy he should be a top 2-3 center in the league.

Obviously the key words here and "if healthy".

With that being the case I think teams who are deep at center, or could be deep at center, should only take a risk on him. On top of that those teams would need to have some free agency money and are fairly desperate for a defensive minded big etc.

Finally, I would explore the notion of trying to only play Oden for around 20 MPG, and not on back to backs. Play him to start the game and to finish it. Then let him play more minutes in the playoffs and/or crutial games down the stretch. So obviously teams would need to be deep at the 5 to explore such a notion.

Lastly...if one were to sign Oden, it couldn't be for more than a 2-year deal around 20-25 million. Unsure if Portland matches (I believe if he shows some signs this year, what's 20 million more to Paul Allen).

I still think the following teams with some cap space could take the risk on Greg for such a deal this off-season:

Washington: The Wizards are extremely weak on defensive rebounding and with interior D. They do have McGee and if they can sign another vet center (Joel Pryzbilla), perhaps they would be deep enough to explore the above risk. Also, after 2 years if Oden shows enough promise Washington will have even mroe cap space (Hinrich's deal comes off the books) to sign or match a long contract offer.

Indiana: The Pacers may be saving their money for a legit PF like Gasol, Horford or Landry...but with Hibbert in place perhaps the team is also deep enough to explore this risk.

Charlotte: The Bobcats could certainly use Oden in an LB system. They may already be talented enough to sneak into the playoffs and Oden can allow them to steal a series or 2.

Cleveland: They seem quite desperate...perhaps enough to explore a high risk-high reward venture such as Mr. Oden.

dnewguy
10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Vet minimum....because of his age, o wait

Geargo Wallace
10-14-2010, 11:01 PM
10 mil 2 years. Could be aighttttt

jerseybostonian
10-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Perkins brings $4.4 million off the books next year. Oden's had injury problems since 7th grade, so good luck to him in getting that much.

Forbo
10-14-2010, 11:03 PM
4 years 20 million