PDA

View Full Version : Artest rankings: Kobe No. 1, Durant 2, LeBron?

D Roses Bulls
10-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Don't see this on here, if it is, then delete

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- If you ask the Los Angeles Lakers' Ron Artest, the biggest NBA signing of the summer wasn't LeBron James leaving Cleveland to go to Miami as a free agent; it was Kevin Durant extending his contract with the Thunder to stay in Oklahoma City.

"He's the second best player in the NBA," Artest said of Durant, ranking the youngest scoring champion in league history behind only teammate Kobe Bryant.

"Kobe's got five rings, six game winners [last season], 23-straight points in [Game 5 of the Finals] off mostly jump shots," Artest elaborated. "[He's] the biggest shot maker, big shot maker. So, that said, Durant's the second best player in the NBA."

When asked where James ranks on his list, Artest excluded the back-to-back MVP from consideration.

"I only count to two," Artest said. "I've been out of school 15 years, so I only count to two."

Bryant himself said that James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh coming together on the Miami Heat did not raise his motivation level to win another championship, but did manage to raise an eyebrow.

The 15-year guard said his first reaction to the South Beach signings was, "Wow. How did Pat Riley pull that [expletive] off?"

Bryant acknowledged the Heat's potential to be "great" but added that when the Big Three materialized in Miami in the middle of the summer, his thoughts remained with himself and his team.

"I said I've got to get my knee healthy, that's what I said," Bryant added.

Artest's praise of Durant echoes a recent statement made by the Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard. During a radio interview with Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick, Howard was asked who is better, Durant or James? "I'm gonna go with Kevin," replied Howard.

Artest's respect for Durant's abilities on the offensive end has influenced the former Defensive Player of the Year's diet. The Lakers starting small forward has vowed to abstain from alcohol during the season and is putting in extra work to try to get his weight down to 245 pounds by the time Los Angeles could face the 6-foot-9, 230-pound Durant in the playoffs.

"He was a hard cover for me last year," Artest said. "I had to spend a lot of extra energy carrying extra pounds, so this should at least give me more of a chance to run around [guarding him]."

Artest weighs less than 260 pounds now after coming into training camp at 268 a year ago.

"I was a little bit afraid [Durant] would average 40 on me if I came in 270 [again]," Artest said.

When informed by a member of the media that Durant actually shot well below his normal percentage in the first round of the playoffs with Artest marking him primarily (35 percent in the postseason vs. 47.6 percent during the regular season), Artest acted surprised.

"Wow ... good job, Ron," he said.

After admitting last weekend that, "when we get to the championship I'll worry about the big weight guy later, LeBron," like Bryant, Artest was not ready to coronate the Heat on Thursday.

"You never know," Artest said. "Boston got [Shaquille] O'Neal and [Jermaine] O'Neal ... Dallas, they're looking good. And Kevin Durant, don't forget about Kevin Durant."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5686339

Wade>You
10-14-2010, 09:10 PM
He ranks Durant higher because he can actually contain him and that makes him feel proud.

CHItown_23
10-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Dude, you've got to stop posting anit-Lebron anti-Heat articles. We get it.

Gators123
10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Posted by D Roses Bulls, who woulda thought?

D Roses Bulls
10-14-2010, 09:13 PM

omg..... if i didnt post this, someone else would have. why cant people just discuss instead of trying to always talk crap? oh and by the way it was the title of the article on the front page of ESPN. I dont make up my own titles anymore. so if you dont like it, dont comment. you cant restrain yourself or something?

D Roses Bulls
10-14-2010, 09:14 PM
He ranks Durant higher because he can actually contain him and that makes him feel proud.

haha..... I actually agree with you. trust me, I dont think durant is the 2nd best in the NBA. honestly I think wade or kobe are 1A and 1B

D Roses Bulls
10-14-2010, 09:15 PM

I'm trying to become the new JB....... I think im almost there :)

Fmaranesi
10-14-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm trying to become the new JB....... I think im almost there :)

oh you're there

Wade>You
10-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Dude, you've got to stop posting anit-Lebron anti-Heat articles. We get it.Heat fan here. In all fairness, I don't think this is Anti-Heat/LeBron. If Heat fans or other fans turn it into that it will be because they took it too seriously. We're discussing the same topic on the Heat board and no one's taken it to heart.

haha..... I actually agree with you. trust me, I dont think durant is the 2nd best in the NBA. honestly I think wade or kobe are 1A and 1BThanks for being honest.

D Roses Bulls
10-14-2010, 09:21 PM
oh you're there

oh no...... im not there yet, no one does it better then JB right now

D Roses Bulls
10-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Heat fan here. In all fairness, I don't think this is Anti-Heat/LeBron. If Heat fans or other fans turn it into that it will be because they took it too seriously. We're discussing the same topic on the Heat board and no one's taken it to heart.

Thanks for being honest.

oh im always honest. i mean like i said, i dislike some players, but i dont just say someone isnt good or whatever just to hate. if i agreed with artest i would of said so and really believed that. IMO its wade/kobe, Lebron, Durrant. now durrant could surpass lebron this season, but we shall see.

daleja424
10-14-2010, 09:33 PM
are we not bored of these threads yet? :yawn:

justinnum1
10-14-2010, 09:39 PM

:laugh:

kjoke
10-14-2010, 09:45 PM
as much as i love wade , lebron is better, but this isnt about that

artest needs to be quiet cause bron is on a mission.

kswissdaf
10-14-2010, 09:50 PM
he also said when he wasnt on the lakers that brandon roy was the best player in the nba

JRisdabest
10-14-2010, 09:50 PM
artest stfu

Khri
10-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Artest is a clown, he's irrelevant to guys like Lebron James, Lebron could care less if this guy thinks Durant is better.

Knowledge
10-14-2010, 09:53 PM

At one point I thought the Heat would come into the season feeling too good about themselves and that it would take a year for them to win it all. Now with all the people who have talked about them, I think they are all going to come out on a mission and I wouldn't be surprised if they ran through the league. Im still going with LA, but something tells me I should be going with the heat.

RCarlson85
10-14-2010, 09:54 PM
This just reinforces what I already thought about artest...he's an idiot. What a douche.

Ebbs
10-14-2010, 09:55 PM

This...

But he also said Dallas is looking good so Artest can be in my good books.

ManRam
10-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Wait, so D Rose, aren't you baiting? I guess not, since it isn't someone saying LeBron is the best ;)

Wouldn't expect Artest to say anything different honestly. Kobe ahead of LeBron is understandable, but no way can anyone with a sane human brain put Durant ahead of LeBron as is. LeBron has had 2 MVPs, many huge playoff games, far more game winning shots and carried all sorts of teams deep into the playoffs. Durant hasn't accomplished anything yet...except a scoring title, which really isn't terribly significant.

Geargo Wallace
10-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Ummmm I thought his first was that dude from Queens. And #2 was Brandon Roy.

I jk. It seems Ron has been drinking too much crystal or henesy at halt time again.

D Roses Bulls
10-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Wait, so D Rose, aren't you baiting? I guess not, since it isn't someone saying LeBron is the best ;)

Wouldn't expect Artest to say anything different honestly. Kobe ahead of LeBron is understandable, but no way can anyone with a sane human brain put Durant ahead of LeBron as is. LeBron has had 2 MVPs, many huge playoff games, far more game winning shots and carried all sorts of teams deep into the playoffs. Durant hasn't accomplished anything yet...except a scoring title, which really isn't terribly significant.

me bait? of course not ;) but i dont want to get into that on this thread.

by the way manram.... curious to where you think wade belongs on this list?

D Roses Bulls
10-14-2010, 10:07 PM
:laugh:

laugh it up son

D Roses Bulls
10-14-2010, 10:08 PM
are we not bored of these threads yet? :yawn:

ESPN isnt bored of this, so why should we be ;)

SluggeR
10-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Don't know who created this hype machine for durant, but they need to be spayed. skip bayless probably started it, to have his own personal hero to combat lebron. People are building this kid waaaay tooo high, they fall is gonna horrific when they turn on him.

Gibby
10-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Ummmm I thought his first was that dude from Queens. And #2 was Brandon Roy.

I jk. It seems Ron has been drinking too much crystal or henesy at halt time again.

LMAO. I ve noticed your fan of Inside the Nba. haha i am fan a too. c-webb, charles, kenny, ernie were all laughing at him when he said that. they didnt take him seriously and we shouldnt either lol.

Geargo Wallace
10-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Don't know who created this hype machine for durant, but they need to be spayed. skip bayless probably started it, to have his own personal hero to combat lebron. People are building this kid waaaay tooo high, they fall is gonna horrific when they turn on him.

Ummmmmmmm you haven't heard? The man is gonna' be the all-time scorer in NBA history. :rolleyes:

Geargo Wallace
10-14-2010, 10:17 PM
LMAO. I ve noticed your fan of Inside the Nba. haha i am fan a too. c-webb, charles, kenny, ernie were all laughing at him when he said that. they didnt take him seriously and we shouldnt either lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qoSXxWHV7Q&p=3ECFFCD414DC1490&playnext=1&index=31

godolphins
10-14-2010, 10:39 PM

He's just a hater

Avenged
10-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Wouldn't look too into this, it's Artest after all.

Geargo Wallace
10-14-2010, 11:03 PM
he needs to get his psychiatrist to sign off on some more meds. then thank her

drew_ellis_23
10-14-2010, 11:11 PM
This is dumb, as much as I love KD, Lebron is better now. Lets debate this in a couple years, once we see the big 3 in action, and the Thunder as well. Both could be facing off in the finals very soon.

SluggeR
10-14-2010, 11:15 PM
this reminds me of when people was annointing a new MJ every other year, just to turn on the guys when they fell way short.

CLASSOF72
10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
For this up comming season I would say Kobe; LeWanda; Wade; Durrant. Just saying. Can't believe Miami has two of them, but that's how I'd put it.

Baller1
10-14-2010, 11:41 PM
I wish people could learn how to spell Durant.

Ty Fast
10-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Artest is a goof. Didnít he say that Brandon Roy was the best like 2 years ago?

tredigs
10-15-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a feeling the league/fans are going to unleash a monster this season, and I think we all know who I'm talking about.

That's right, Earl Boykins.

Hoopsadvocate
10-15-2010, 12:21 AM
ESPN isnt bored of this, so why should we be ;)

Thats fine just dont :cry: when the HEAT gets other attention either. Even though u dont really have anything positive to say when its something good heat related but when its negative ur all over it and it must be discussed.

WITZ
10-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Don't see a problem with that queen James ain't even #1 on the heat.

xBLAMEITON24x
10-15-2010, 12:54 AM
sounds right to me

daleja424
10-15-2010, 01:07 AM
I will say one thing about this... i cannot understand why people are adding more and more bulliten board material. Lebron/Wade were beasts before people were slighting them...and they are the kind of guys that can get really psyched up to proove people wrong... Im not sure I see the sense in taking shots at these guys before the year even starts...especially when Artest will be guarding him as many as 9-10 times this year...

HeaTxRipZz
10-15-2010, 01:16 AM
hmmmm I can't agree with Artest on that lol. The hype machine is working overtime for KD. He's good I will agree but I would easily put Kobe, Lebron, Wade, CP3 over Durant

D Roses Bulls
10-15-2010, 01:18 AM
I will say one thing about this... i cannot understand why people are adding more and more bulliten board material. Lebron/Wade were beasts before people were slighting them...and they are the kind of guys that can get really psyched up to proove people wrong... Im not sure I see the sense in taking shots at these guys before the year even starts...especially when Artest will be guarding him as many as 9-10 times this year...

yea usually those kind of things do not go well. hopefully all this bulletin board material makes for a good NBA season. now if only boozer will come back and chicago can get melo without giving up noah and then the NBA season will be great. :)

Zefflin
10-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Artest is a goof. Didnít he say that Brandon Roy was the best like 2 years ago?

No, he said that Roy was the hardest to guard...

...then Kobe torched him in the playoffs.

daleja424
10-15-2010, 01:20 AM
lol... that would be a CRAZY eastern conference. non of us would stand a chance against LA b/c we would all be beaten up by eachother

iggypop123
10-15-2010, 01:23 AM
damn how in the hell was artest a mathematics major? is st johns that bad of a school?

D Roses Bulls
10-15-2010, 01:24 AM
lol... that would be a CRAZY eastern conference. non of us would stand a chance against LA b/c we would all be beaten up by eachother

honestly i think miami biggest threat is the magic and how howard comes to play this year. if dwight took anything from hakeem and actually became that unstoppable force, then I think miami could be in big trouble as well as L.A.

Jemikz9Clutch
10-15-2010, 01:47 AM
when artest retires, we'll see him next time sitting besides c-webb, kenny smith, earl and barkley. it would be fun to watch them.

D Roses Bulls
10-15-2010, 02:01 AM
when artest retires, we'll see him next time sitting besides c-webb, kenny smith, earl and barkley. it would be fun to watch them.

and remember when he said "why you staring at me daughter"? well its gonna be "why you staring at me barkley?" that would be so funny

hgtiger32
10-15-2010, 02:19 AM
not a lakers fan, more of a celtics fan..anywho. it's hard not to respect kobe. i find it hard NOT to cheer and root for him. guy has it all...gng out on a limb saying he's better than MJ.:speechless::speechless::speechless:

VillaMaravilla
10-15-2010, 02:33 AM
im a knick fan and also find it hard not to root for kobe and do be honest with you i think Durant is way better the lebron i dont know how can anyone argue that lebron is waaaaaaaaaaay overated and i lost mad respect for him after watching him quit on the cavs in the final playoff game to me his aura has faded

Mplsman
10-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Kb
lj
kd

pd1dish
10-15-2010, 04:09 AM
lol you brought the angry heat fans out

Zefflin
10-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Lebron can't stay in front of KD, he torched him in every first half preseason possession. But after-all, it's only preseason right?

MTar786
10-15-2010, 05:24 AM
u have to remember artest is basing his opinion as a defender.. cuz that's his job. And i would take durants offense over lebrons any day. but lebron is better that durant right now.. but durant is close IMO and will be better than james in 3 or 4 years latest

Heater4life
10-15-2010, 08:01 AM
At one point I thought the Heat would come into the season feeling too good about themselves and that it would take a year for them to win it all. Now with all the people who have talked about them, I think they are all going to come out on a mission and I wouldn't be surprised if they ran through the league. Im still going with LA, but something tells me I should be going with the heat.

I agree with your post 100%, not as a Heat fan, but as a competitor. How can group of players being so highly criticized not use that as motivation? I know i did. Combine that with high level of talent, willingness to work together, and a good foundation of coaching, and that extra motivation IMO is the mortar that builds this brick house.

Ace33Bone
10-15-2010, 08:02 AM
I still think its a toos up between Kobe and LeBron for the 1 and 2 spots. OF course I give it too LeBron because he is my fav player but you can make and argument for each and still have my respect. I feel that KD is right behind these 2 at the 3 spot and then you can talk D Wade and Carmelo

Heater4life
10-15-2010, 08:15 AM
im a knick fan and also find it hard not to root for kobe and do be honest with you i think Durant is way better the lebron i dont know how can anyone argue that lebron is waaaaaaaaaaay overated and i lost mad respect for him after watching him quit on the cavs in the final playoff game to me his aura has faded

:rolleyes:..... you cant overate physical talent; speed, quickness, size, athleticism, strength second to none. Sprinkle in very good ball handling, exceptional court vision (best at his position, top 5 in league), and the ability to finish at the rim at will.

Ill go out on a limb and say he's NOT overrated.

TheTakeOver24
10-15-2010, 08:35 AM
His psychiatrist is horrible.
Pretending your greatest fears(lebron/wade) dont exist, will not make those fears go away.

Hawkeye15
10-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Lebron can't stay in front of KD, he torched him in every first half preseason possession. But after-all, it's only preseason right?

Durant is coming off worlds, and in game shape and skill currently. And yes, its preseason.

Did anyone expect Artest to say anything differently?

krest213
10-15-2010, 08:49 AM

a Milli:clap:

Da Knicks
10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
time for your meds ron!!!!!

NYKNYGNYY
10-15-2010, 10:25 AM
obviously hes gonna say his teammates the best, as much as i hate lebron its absurd to say that any one is better than him hes so dominate hes like a basketball god

lavilevi23
10-15-2010, 10:27 AM
oh no...... im not there yet, no one does it better then JB right now

Does what better? Hate on the Heat? oh ok...

lavilevi23
10-15-2010, 10:35 AM
yea usually those kind of things do not go well. hopefully all this bulletin board material makes for a good NBA season. now if only boozer will come back and chicago can get melo without giving up noah and then the NBA season will be great. :)

yea and if only the Heat can get Chris Paul, Melo and Brook Lopez without giving up any of their 8 man rotation players then the NBA season will be great. :rolleyes:

Byronicle
10-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I would rank Durant over Lebron right now because as of right now Durant is the MAIN guy of his team whereas Lebron is playing second to Wade

lavilevi23
10-15-2010, 10:49 AM

100% agreed. He might be one of the best scorers but his game is not as complete as LeBron's Kobe's or Wade's. I'm sick of this hype over Durant. He plays below average D, doesn't get his team involved and doesn't play as good in the playoffs. My current rankings are :

LeBron
Kobe
Wade
CP3
Dwight
Melo
Durant
Dirk
Deron
Gasol

lavilevi23
10-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I would rank Durant over Lebron right now because as of right now Durant is the MAIN guy of his team whereas Lebron is playing second to Wade

Put LeBron on OKC instead of Durant and watch em get to the Finals.

basketfan4life
10-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Put LeBron on OKC instead of Durant and watch em get to the Finals.

oh,please, gimme a break...then heat should have to win it all this year no matter what, because their biggest treat is lakers and you think lebron can beat la when westbrook is his best teammate,now he has wade and bosh.

lakers would get past that match up easily when healthy.

dodie53
10-15-2010, 05:48 PM
can only count up to two.
hehe

daveb16
10-15-2010, 06:06 PM
I still think its a toos up between Kobe and LeBron for the 1 and 2 spots. OF course I give it too LeBron because he is my fav player but you can make and argument for each and still have my respect. I feel that KD is right behind these 2 at the 3 spot and then you can talk D Wade and Carmelo

Please stop with this. Lebron and Wade are both top 3. Just because Wade and Bron are on the same team now, it doesn't mean you have to downplay how good Wade is. Wade is a better player, in general, plus the ring. Durant can't play defense close to as good as Wade. This KD hype is really getting ridiculous and its pissing me off. The guy knows how to score but it's not like he's light years ahead of Wade in that category either. You guys are automatically comparing Durant and Bron but when that's done you go ahead and shoe in Durant at 3, while in reality Wade is still much better. The guy has proved a lot less than either Wade or Bron yet he's put together with them?....put him with Carmelo, where he belongs.

daveb16
10-15-2010, 06:09 PM

Do you know how little sense that makes when comparing how good players are?.

D Roses Bulls
10-15-2010, 06:12 PM
yea and if only the Heat can get Chris Paul, Melo and Brook Lopez without giving up any of their 8 man rotation players then the NBA season will be great. :rolleyes:

the one i said is way more likely to happen then what you just said

Bank$23
10-15-2010, 06:15 PM
artest funny

LeGacy is Music
10-15-2010, 06:52 PM

stop bron is on a mission garbage artest is the toughest defender in the nba ask detriot

LeGacy is Music
10-15-2010, 06:54 PM
time for your meds ron!!!!!

Yo I am a Knick Fan and whenever they bring up Kobe or the Lakers you bash. U MAD??

sp1derm00
10-15-2010, 06:59 PM
How bout this?

Players 1-3 are smushed into one: LeKobe Wade

#4 is most likely going to be Dwight
#5 is probably debatable between Durant and CP3.

Sixerlover
10-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I read these threads, and it just continues to amaze me how people's opinions on LeBron change after one summer. To me, he is still the most talented and best player in the league. The only dispute to that argument is the "rings", but we'll see what he does with great talent on his team this year.

He wasn't everybody in the league's favorite player before this summer, but after this summer he is naturally the guy to hate on just because.

stawka
10-15-2010, 07:11 PM
When has anyone taken what this baboon says seriously? He's a good defender but that's it. And for anyone saying "Ron will shut LeBron down" or whatever BS you believe... Did you watch the Christmas game last year, the same game that LeBron wiped the Lakers floor with Artest's ***, and wiped his own *** with Artest's face

John Walls Era
10-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Everyone is loving Durant right now (rightfully so). But I still think Lebron, Wade and Kobe are better than him (gap is closing). I understand why Artest would say this, there are just 2 kinds of [Heat] opponents right now: Those who act like the Heat are the ones to beat (to give them pressure or to mess with their heads) and those who discredit them until they win.

John Walls Era
10-15-2010, 07:19 PM
I read these threads, and it just continues to amaze me how people's opinions on LeBron change after one summer. To me, he is still the most talented and best player in the league. The only dispute to that argument is the "rings", but we'll see what he does with great talent on his team this year.

He wasn't everybody in the league's favorite player before this summer, but after this summer he is naturally the guy to hate on just because.

Exactly. Everyone loved Lebron (majority). Now ever since "the decision" people jumped off his bandwagon and jumped onto the KD bandwagon. I never liked Lebron, but I still gave him credit.

arkanian215
10-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Nah Durant has been more efficient against Artest than LeBron has.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=artesro01
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=artesro01&p2=duranke01

So maybe in his own experience, Artest has a harder time stopping Durant given that Durant makes his shots at a higher rate against Artest than LeBron does.

Kobe is #1 cuz he owned Artest
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=artesro01&p2=bryanko01

justinnum1
10-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Durant:

I am NOT in the top 2 players in the NBA...I haven't done anything yet...I'm trying tho!!!

THE MTL
10-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Lebron is the one guy in the league who Artest fat @$$ cant guard thats why. Lebron is going to SKEET all over him this season.

Btw, Artest could only manage to count to 2 cause on 3 on is he goes back to sucking Kobe's dick.