PDA

View Full Version : Union to contest officiating crackdown

Gators123
10-14-2010, 08:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-unioncomplains101410

The Players Association plans to contest the NBA’s efforts to curb player complaints about the league’s officiating, union executive director Billy Hunter said Thursday.

“The new unilateral rule changes are an unnecessary and unwarranted overreaction on the league’s behalf,” Hunter said in a statement. “We have not seen any increase in the level of ‘complaining’ to the officials, and we believe that players as a whole have demonstrated appropriate behavior toward the officials.

“Worse yet, to the extent the harsher treatment from the referees leads to a stifling of the players’ passion and exuberance for their work, we fear these changes may actually harm our product. The changes were made without proper consultation with the Players Association, and we intend to file an appropriate legal challenge.”

NBA commissioner David Stern said the league’s market research shows fans want to see a decrease in the on-court complaints and demonstrations by players. Stern has instructed the league’s referees to give players technical fouls for lingering too long to complain or making an overt gesture, including punching the air.

On Wednesday in New York, Boston Celtics center Jermaine O’Neal(notes) drew his second technical in two nights for moderately reacting to a referee’s foul call. Kevin Garnett(notes) was given a technical moments later for trying to show an official how a New York Knicks player had hit him, and was then ejected for laughing over the legitimacy of that technical.

zo#33
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
The new rules are so ********. Apparantly you are not allowed to show emotion in a basketball game anymore

cali72888
10-14-2010, 08:42 PM
If these idiotic technical fouls carry over into the season I will not go to a single Warriors game or watch any basketball this season, its just simply pathetic.

Basketball is one sport that is determined by a refs call, and to make it that much easier for a ref to determine a game by giving **** calls is taking away from the sport itself. The Labrons and Kobes of the game already get every call in the book from the refs enabling them to kick a player out of a game because of a smirk or laugh is disgusting.

Donaghy is telling the truth about the Refs.

td0tsfinest
10-14-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm glad they are cause these new technical foul rules are going a little too far and its only pre-season.

Rego247
10-14-2010, 09:53 PM
good their protesting this rule.

its kinda a raw deal the players have to be perfect, but the refs dont? if a player is demonstrative after a big play, he gets a T. but if a ref blows a huge call, the play stands?

wtf? stern should replace the refs with robots first, before he looks at the players.

Crackadalic
10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Getting a technical because of showing some emotion ok lets give techs to football players showboating after a touchdown lets stop baseball players going crazy after a homerun lets stop the fighting in hockey and all the fuss after a goal come on not just basketball but sports in general is run with emotion i understand if its excessive but these players are still human there not freaking robots let em play and keep it moving if your not throwing a punch or cursing a ref out you shouldn't be getting a tech if a player gets a tech because he raise an eyebrow its not the player that needs to change its the rule and giving to much power to the refs is just gonna destroy the image of the nba

Hoopsadvocate
10-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Good. David stern is a prud taking away all the passion and orginality of the game. Let players be players. I mean it could be much worse it could be like the NFL.

abe_froman
10-15-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm glad they are cause these new technical foul rules are going a little too far and its only pre-season.

its to set the tone,get players in line for the season.i'm cool with emotion,but the reason behind it was sound,players are whiny babies and the vast majority what them to act like men(something i agree with)

HeaTxRipZz
10-15-2010, 01:43 AM
its to set the tone,get players in line for the season.i'm cool with emotion,but the reason behind it was sound,players are whiny babies and the vast majority what them to act like men(something i agree with)

Acting like robots isn't acting like grown men....I'm sorry that's where I disagree with you.

If they want to crack down on the whinning to refs then make a rule for that. Rule: You will recieve a tech if a call is made on you and you run complaining to the ref.

But don't go and take emotion out of the game thinking it'll stop it because it'll make matters worse and fans will lose interests.

Edit: Seen you said you are cool with emotion but still all in all the rules that are put in place shouldn't be. There's no reason you should get a tech because you are talking to yourself or swinging your fists at the air after a tough play

IDB Josh M
10-15-2010, 01:43 AM
I hate refs, but we need them.

hgtiger32
10-15-2010, 02:20 AM
thank god. reminds me of when NBA wanted to use different balls for game. that worked for a little while, until players got upset with them...

1-800-STFU
10-15-2010, 02:27 AM
Emotion is fine, should be allowed 100%, but I'm sick of every ****ing foul someone walking over to the ref and complaining.

The rule should just t up all the whiners and complainers. Grow the hell up already.

Mplsman
10-15-2010, 03:20 AM
This has become crazy.

JiffyMix88
10-15-2010, 03:31 AM
all i've got to say is yessssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sly Guy
10-15-2010, 09:40 AM
I thought last season the arguing with officials had reached shameful proportions, but taking away the ability of the player to actually speak with an official about a call is something I though the refs always did better than other sports. It's one thing if you're LeBron or Kobe looking for a star call and complaining, or if you're 'sheed going nuts over a call that was clearly correct, but another if you're anybody just looking to find out what you did wrong.

Failed attempt by the league to protect the sovereignty of the refs.

mjt20mik
10-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Please bring back the old basketball of the 80s. I hate the way the game is called today, and part of it is how much players complain for calls. I mean if i person taps you, you usually get a call, stop complaining.

tr4shb0t
10-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Stern is just trying to keep his sham under wraps.

Fans don't want top see less complaining moron, they want to see less fake ****. If the players don't have any control over the game what is the point?

WadeKobe
10-17-2010, 01:53 AM
The extent to which the NBA hides its head in the sand is remarkable. The NBA cracks down on the players as if it's their fault without realizing that they (NBA Refs and Execs) are responsible for this whole mess.

Fans are not concerned with a blanket "complaining" that goes on. What we're irritated about is when the Lakers, Cavaliers, Thunder, or (for other people) Heat come to town... they have to watch their player get called for foul after foul on the stars when it's not even close....

And then that same player (Kobe, LBJ, Wade, Gasol, Amar'e) *****es and moans when the ref dares to blow the whistle and give them a foul.

The fact is that the league has created divas and the answer is not to punish the league and its players. The answer is to hold the refs (and yourselves) accountable, call the game fairly and accurately, and tech the hell out of the divas until they get it straight.

This mess is the NBA's fault and they need to take responsibility instead of doing what Stern always does... passing the buck onto someone else.

I'm sick of it and so are other fans.

Sly Guy
10-17-2010, 11:00 AM
The extent to which the NBA hides its head in the sand is remarkable. The NBA cracks down on the players as if it's their fault without realizing that they (NBA Refs and Execs) are responsible for this whole mess.

Fans are not concerned with a blanket "complaining" that goes on. What we're irritated about is when the Lakers, Cavaliers, Thunder, or (for other people) Heat come to town... they have to watch their player get called for foul after foul on the stars when it's not even close....

And then that same player (Kobe, LBJ, Wade, Gasol, Amar'e) *****es and moans when the ref dares to blow the whistle and give them a foul.

The fact is that the league has created divas and the answer is not to punish the league and its players. The answer is to hold the refs (and yourselves) accountable, call the game fairly and accurately, and tech the hell out of the divas until they get it straight.

This mess is the NBA's fault and they need to take responsibility instead of doing what Stern always does... passing the buck onto someone else.

well put.

Khalifa21
10-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Good... These T's are getting a it ridiculous.

Meaze_Gibson
10-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah its gettin out of hand..I saw one on george hill that was outrageous a few days ago..this is no good for the game.

Rafer17
10-17-2010, 01:21 PM
They should go back to the 90s where you can actually touch people without commiting a foul

heatbb
10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Why would the audience be excited and emotional if the players can't be. I understand yelling at the refs and getting too furious on the floor but getting a T for showing/telling your side of the story is just pathetic by NBA. Not talking of positive emotions like after a dunk or a block.

Super.
10-18-2010, 03:59 PM

Excellently put