PDA

View Full Version : Should the Blue Jays go after Yu Darvish

Gibby
10-13-2010, 09:20 PM
My first thought was yes after hearing the diamondbacks were bidding for him. then i came to the realization this would stray away from AA's plan. This would be basically be the same as big FA signing which AA has said he will wait till jays are closing to contending.

Dice K cost close to 110 million over 6 years for the Sox. Most likely Darvish will cost over 20 million a year (including the posting fee which is said to be around 80 million)

Obviously he is way better than Dice K but should the jays go after Yu Darvish?

ah nuts
10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
4.4 billion reasons to say yes.

nstojic
10-13-2010, 09:36 PM
hell, why not.. we just missed out on chapman...

nstojic
10-13-2010, 09:36 PM
give it to reggie inside, they'll never see it coming.. :D

nithanyo
10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Is he really better than Dice K. They made it seem like Dice K was the best thing to come out from that side of the world since Nintendo

nstojic
10-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Is he really better than Dice K. They made it seem like Dice K was the best thing to come out from that side of the world since Nintendo

wait....you're telling me he CAN'T throw a gyroball??? that's news to me

nithanyo
10-13-2010, 10:28 PM
wait....you're telling me he CAN'T throw a gyroball??? that's news to me

I used Dice-K MLB 2k10 and he didnt have the gyro ball.... i mighta missed sarcasm

Gibby
10-13-2010, 10:42 PM

His numbers are way better than Dice-K at same age playing in NPB. Dice-K was 27 when came to the mlb and had ton innings on his arm. Yu Darvish will be only 22 and already dominant.

The following season, 2006, is when Darvish really grew into his own and never looked back through to 2009. Here are his stats over that period:

2006 (19): 25 GP, 12 – 5, 2.89 ERA, 149.2 IP, 115 Ks, 64 walks, 1.28 whip
2007 (20): 26 GP, 15 – 5, 1.82 ERA, 207.2 IP, 210 Ks, 49 walks, 0.83 whip
2008 (21): 25 GP, 16 – 4, 1.88 ERA, 200.2 IP, 208 Ks, 44 walks, 0.90 whip
2009 (22): 23 GP, 15 – 5, 1.73 ERA, 182 IP, 167 Ks, 45 walks, 0.90 whip
You may ask yourself, so how does this play up if he should come to the U.S.? Well, I’ll compare these stats to Dice-K’s at the same ages while he was playing for Seibu of the same league:

2000 (19): 25 GP, 14 – 7, 3.97 ERA, 167.2 IP, 144 Ks, 95 walks, 1.35 whip
Dice was injured and missed all of 2001
2002 (21): 14 GP, 6 – 2, 3.68 ERA, 73.1 IP, 78 Ks, 15 walks, 1.02 whip
2003 (22): 29 GP, 16 – 7, 2.83 ERA, 194 IP, 215 Ks, 63 walks, 1.18 whip

He was also dominant in WBC. 5 G, 2 GS, 2 W, 1 L, 13 IP, 2.08 ERA, 20 Ks, 1.00 WHIP

Gibby
10-13-2010, 10:46 PM
hell, why not.. we just missed out on chapman...

Chapman only signed for 6 year/30 million and he didnt have a posting fee. The posting for Darvish is said to be around 80 Million and plus contract it would cost the jays more than 110 million over 6 year that it did with Dice K for the red soxs.

lovingTO
10-13-2010, 10:59 PM
98mph heater, great movement on his curve, throws a ton of different pitches that are plus, and has shown the composure to pitch out of tough situations. Sounds like a good promising young pitcher to me. The only problem is the DOLLARS. For the roughly 20million a season it's going to cost, you're better off going after Cliff Lee.

I trust AA will look into it, get his scouts to help him set a figure for how much they figure he's worth to the team, and if they can't get him for that number then pass. Let some other team put all their money on red.

StealingSigns
10-13-2010, 11:19 PM
If the Jays are truly interested in competing in the AL East, they have to make strong, competitive bids for these types of players when they become available.

AA said his biggest regret of the season (during the post game wrap up after the final game) was not going harder after Aroldis Chapman. I think the Jays will be in on Darvish.

Sure, Dice K might not have worked out for the Red Sox as they had planned, but look at how Ichiro has surpassed expectations. You don't hear too many Mariners fans bemoaning the (then record) posting fee, which seemed like a huge gamble to some at the time.

Gibby
10-14-2010, 01:14 AM
If the Jays are truly interested in competing in the AL East, they have to make strong, competitive bids for these types of players when they become available.

AA said his biggest regret of the season (during the post game wrap up after the final game) was not going harder after Aroldis Chapman. I think the Jays will be in on Darvish.

Sure, Dice K might not have worked out for the Red Sox as they had planned, but look at how Ichiro has surpassed expectations. You don't hear too many Mariners fans bemoaning the (then record) posting fee, which seemed like a huge gamble to some at the time.

I agree they will probably have to make signings like this but is this the time, when they are not close to contention. Remember AA he will make those big FA signings when it will push them into contention. At this time will Darvish do that for the Jays.

Arolidis Chapman was much differrent he was more of a raw talent there he could be had for cheaper because of the uncertainty. It was sort of like investing in a prospect. I am all for deals signing guys like Chapman or Hech

Signing Darvish would be equivalent of what the yankees did by signing CC.

StealingSigns
10-14-2010, 03:29 AM
I agree they will probably have to make signings like this but is this the time, when they are not close to contention. Remember AA he will make those big FA signings when it will push them into contention. At this time will Darvish do that for the Jays.

Arolidis Chapman was much differrent he was more of a raw talent there he could be had for cheaper because of the uncertainty. It was sort of like investing in a prospect. I am all for deals signing guys like Chapman or Hech

Signing Darvish would be equivalent of what the yankees did by signing CC.

Yep. Except CC wasn't 22 years old, nor did he cost the signing team compensation (i.e draft picks).

This will be settled by the various teams scouting departments. As long as the Jays are in on the process and are competitive (and if they bow out, give their rationalization) I am good with it. Lately I like the Jays chances against other teams scouting departments....

nstojic
10-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Chapman only signed for 6 year/30 million and he didnt have a posting fee. The posting for Darvish is said to be around 80 Million and plus contract it would cost the jays more than 110 million over 6 year that it did with Dice K for the red soxs.

yeah but this guy comes more complete than chapman ever will... chapman was 30 mil for THE fastball of all fastballs...

wamco
10-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Isn't cliff lee a free agent? Throw the money at him instead

scaramantula
10-14-2010, 10:44 AM

cliff lee will cost us a pick

DiPasquale7
10-14-2010, 11:37 AM
cliff lee will cost us a pick

Not to mention Darvish could grow with our young elite pitching core where Lee has a smaller window for our team to win with (since he's 10 years older than Darvish):

Morrow (26)
Romero (25)
Cecil (24)
Drabek (22)
Dirvish (22)

It's scary how dominant that core could be for the next decade. It gives us flexibility to potentially move assets like Marcum, Rzep, Litsch, Mills, Richmond, Ray, Jenkins, McGuire, Sanchez, etc for elite fielding prospects.

Johann
10-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Sure, having a young dominant 5 man rotation seems awesome, but the BS of having no leader may cost us. Cliff Lee is prob the best option for leadership/ shutdown pitcher. He came to Texas and brought leadership to a younger Texas rotation; now hes 2-0 with a 1.15 ERA in the playoffs...
Sure, our pitchers may be very good, but they are too young. An older vet is the best thing for the team.

Bob_at_york
10-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Sure, having a young dominant 5 man rotation seems awesome, but the BS of having no leader may cost us. Cliff Lee is prob the best option for leadership/ shutdown pitcher. He came to Texas and brought leadership to a younger Texas rotation; now hes 2-0 with a 1.15 ERA in the playoffs...
Sure, our pitchers may be very good, but they are too young. An older vet is the best thing for the team.

Marcum is the leader and he is getting older. He isn't ever going to be as good as Lee but he can bring leadership. He learned from one of the best.

DiPasquale7
10-14-2010, 12:14 PM

I don't know about that... I think the leadership will come with the growth. Someone will take on the roll and develop the leadership skills to make this team better. I'd love Lee but with Lee the teams window to compete is 3-5 years. With Darvish that window is expanded to 10-15 years. I'm not saying I don't want Lee, it's just why would he come here over NY? Darvish on the other hand would be putting himself into one of the biggest East Asian communities (outside of Asia) and growing with a young core.

Shifty1 69
10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
^^^ If they brought in Bobby V to manage... then that may pursuade a prize Japanese FA to come to Toronto.

Unless I remember wrong, I recall reading in Sports Illustrated a few years ago about how Bobby V is/was almost godlike in Japan....

Eagles4Lyfe
10-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Not to mention Darvish could grow with our young elite pitching core where Lee has a smaller window for our team to win with (since he's 10 years older than Darvish):

Morrow (26)
Romero (25)
Cecil (24)
Drabek (22)
Dirvish (22)

It's scary how dominant that core could be for the next decade. It gives us flexibility to potentially move assets like Marcum, Rzep, Litsch, Mills, Richmond, Ray, Jenkins, McGuire, Sanchez, etc for elite fielding prospects.
yes yes and more yes...Couldn't have said it myself a 22 year old pitcher who has amazing stamina can apparantly pitch 15 innings if you need him to, has a bunch of good out pitches and already pitching to high competition kept himself composed and did a good job...If were going to think about competiting yes we have to, if the diamondbacks of all teams are going hard after him why cant we after all rogers said they are commited to winning and this is the best investment possible..

nithanyo
10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
I jus saw a youtube video on this kid from 2 yeas ago. The guy has sum dirty stuff..... He remins me of limcecum without the herky jerky delivery.... And he has sumwhere between 7-11 pitches. We would also atract the huge asian population with this kid. I say we go get him... Even if its dice-k money. Better spend it on him rather than Lee who is gonna come down soon

BlueJayFanDan
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
This could be a huge move if we do so. It would cost a ton but suddenly everyone in Asia is a Jays fan if we do so. Not to mention the young elite rotation we would have. If we really want to compete with the money spenders and the Rays soon we need to do something. Were getting closer and closer and we could have made the playoffs this year but it's clear we need more consistency out of our players and a better group of hitters to go around Escobar, Lind, Hill, Wells, Bautista, Snider.

FlakeyFool
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
^^^ If they brought in Bobby V to manage... then that may pursuade a prize Japanese FA to come to Toronto.

Unless I remember wrong, I recall reading in Sports Illustrated a few years ago about how Bobby V is/was almost godlike in Japan....

you raise a very interesting point

nithanyo
10-14-2010, 02:20 PM
This could be a huge move if we do so. It would cost a ton but suddenly everyone in Asia is a Jays fan if we do so. Not to mention the young elite rotation we would have. If we really want to compete with the money spenders and the Rays soon we need to do something. Were getting closer and closer and we could have made the playoffs this year but it's clear we need more consistency out of our players and a better group of hitters to go around Escobar, Lind, Hill, Wells, Bautista, Snider.

Thats 6 starters that could be on a championship team. We could upgrade at 3B/Rf depending on where bautista and we can upgrade at first base/DH depending on where lind wants to play. Im fine with the Buck/Molina or Arencibia/Molina combo at catcher. We arent that far away.

I say we move Snider to right, get a leadoff hitting left fielder, and a power hittng DH. We are pretty set with that lineup.

Get in a real closer and we are a really good team.

BlueJayFanDan
10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Thats 6 starters that could be on a championship team. We could upgrade at 3B/Rf depending on where bautista and we can upgrade at first base/DH depending on where lind wants to play. Im fine with the Buck/Molina or Arencibia/Molina combo at catcher. We arent that far away.

I say we move Snider to right, get a leadoff hitting left fielder, and a power hittng DH. We are pretty set with that lineup.

Get in a real closer and we are a really good team.

I pretty much agree with all of that.

StayOnBoard
10-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Lee is WAY older and would cost a draft pick.... it would be silly to sign him.

Morrow (26)
Romero (25)
Cecil (24)
Drabek (22)
Dirvish (22)

Couldn't agree more... this would be a SICK rotation (though Dirvish would be higher on that list but that doesn't matter) :)

I would love nothing more than the Jays to make a strong run here - but I dont see it happening. Then again, they DO have money to spend... hell - if nothing else - they can use the money from Ryan and Halladay to afford the annual salary (and Im sure Rodgers will front the negotiation price).

I'd love it but not getting my hopes up.... Im VERY curious what direction this team takes this offseason.

North Yorker
10-14-2010, 03:13 PM
If we got him would a whole bunch of Asians start showing up to Jays games? Or at his starts at least? If so then we might actually sell out some home games that aren't the home opener/Doc return/NYY.

2009mvp
10-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Lee is WAY older and would cost a draft pick.... it would be silly to sign him.

Couldn't agree more... this would be a SICK rotation (though Dirvish would be higher on that list but that doesn't matter) :)

I would love nothing more than the Jays to make a strong run here - but I dont see it happening. Then again, they DO have money to spend... hell - if nothing else - they can use the money from Ryan and Halladay to afford the annual salary (and Im sure Rodgers will front the negotiation price).

I'd love it but not getting my hopes up.... Im VERY curious what direction this team takes this offseason.

What does that mean? Front the negotiation price? Where did you think the rest would have to come from?

Johann
10-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Marcum is the leader and he is getting older. He isn't ever going to be as good as Lee but he can bring leadership. He learned from one of the best.

First off, what is considered a leader of a pitching rotation?
The ace?? Maybe..but to me, its the player with the most experiences, and one who everyone can learn from.
Shaun Marcum is 28 years old... although that is one of the older starters on the team, he has been injured a whole lot, and has only played 3 full seasons in the league.
Here, you get Cliff Lee. Hes had his ups and downs, playing in Cleveland, winning his Cy Young. Sure, he got injured, but he bounced back. He has a load of playoff experience and is a leader in Texas now.
Marcum has only 1 and a bit more years exp than Romero...
You cant really have co-leaders lead... I think its one, or no leader at all...

@DiPas
Even if he does have a 3-5 year window, that will be ample time for the immature, young Jays staff to live up to their potential, and hopefully get into the post season.

Even If we do decide to take a stab at Darvish, we could pull a Phillies and a Ranger, and pick Lee up at the deadline come the playoffs

Bob_at_york
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
First off, what is considered a leader of a pitching rotation?
The ace?? Maybe..but to me, its the player with the most experiences, and one who everyone can learn from.
Shaun Marcum is 28 years old... although that is one of the older starters on the team, he has been injured a whole lot, and has only played 3 full seasons in the league.
Marcum was the leader this year. He might have been hurt last year but over the years he has learned a lot from Doc and he has been the leader of the staff even when his stats were worse than the others. The guys are learning from him. I am trying to find articles talking about how he was a leader on the team but all I can find is little things like this:

Shaun Marcum: Bounced back well after elbow surgery and embraced leadership role with Roy Halladay gone from staff that far exceeded expectations. B+

Link: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/baseball/toronto-blue-jays-2010-report-card-104313184.html

dtmagnet
10-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I hope we're in on him, he's a superstar in Japan and I think he'll do well here.

Johann
10-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Marcum was the leader this year. He might have been hurt last year but over the years he has learned a lot from Doc and he has been the leader of the staff even when his stats were worse than the others. The guys are learning from him. I am trying to find articles talking about how he was a leader on the team but all I can find is little things like this:

Link: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/baseball/toronto-blue-jays-2010-report-card-104313184.html

but from what I saw when Morrow, Marcum and Romero were interviewed together (on sportsnet i think), they all noted that they were all leaders of the pitching rotation...which just didnt make sense. If one player doesnt step up and say "yes, i am the leader. hear me roar", there is no leader. If Lee came to the club, he would be the leader ie. the ace.
Im not sayin anythin bad on Marcum. If he does step up from last years good season, he could be the leader. But as of now, there is no 100% leader on the Jays

Bob_at_york
10-14-2010, 04:14 PM
but from what I saw when Morrow, Marcum and Romero were interviewed together (on sportsnet i think), they all noted that they were all leaders of the pitching rotation...which just didnt make sense. If one player doesnt step up and say "yes, i am the leader. hear me roar", there is no leader. If Lee came to the club, he would be the leader ie. the ace.
i saw many articles and such that said the opposite. They were not all leaders.

Im not sayin anythin bad on Marcum. If he does step up from last years good season, he could be the leader. But as of now, there is no 100% leader on the Jays
I know you aren't saying anything bad. But I am still saying that he took over the leadership role this season and the other pitchers followed his lead.

ah nuts
10-14-2010, 04:36 PM
shouldn't the pitching coach be enough as a leader.

on field Leaders are important usually to end slumps, but all these kids have great stuff to stop slumps.

So I wouldn't be worried.

do it - do it - do it ... sign him! I'd love to see an asian in a jays uniform. I love to see another wave of passionate fans.

Johann
10-14-2010, 04:36 PM
i saw many articles and such that said the opposite. They were not all leaders.

I know you aren't saying anything bad. But I am still saying that he took over the leadership role this season and the other pitchers followed his lead.

But did you see that Sportsnet interview of Marcum, Romero, Morrow and Cecil? Because I cant find it...

Maybe marcum was considered a 'leader' unofficially... but he really wasnt the best. Sure he started the dominoes, but the whole staff had a somewhat 'breakout' season, or coming of age season...

When the Jays were losing... Marcum didnt step up and stop the bleeding...
like with the august 10-11...they lost prior to his start 7-5, then when he started they lost 11-0... A leader would, if not win, not lose 0-11

Johann
10-14-2010, 04:41 PM
heres the vid.. i didnt watch it, so i could be wrong :P

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/36651949001/40415880001/Jays-rotation-exclusive-Pt1/page/5

part 2 is somewhere there too

jon32
10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
A big hell no for me.......Even if he is as good as ppl say hed be a 20 game winner for well over 100 mill .....could that not be spent to get two real good arms too?? even if they were 12-15 game winners? thats accounts for more wins............i dunno enough about him i guess, is he a big game pitcher?

Nofear
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
I'd rather spend 110 million towards a new stadium

Nofear
10-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Only aging centerfielders should be worth 100 million contracts

Johann
10-14-2010, 05:04 PM
A big hell no for me.......Even if he is as good as ppl say hed be a 20 game winner for well over 100 mill .....could that not be spent to get two real good arms too?? even if they were 12-15 game winners? thats accounts for more wins............i dunno enough about him i guess, is he a big game pitcher?

More fans (asian perspective), a good pitching future, more coverage from overseas and USA (for havin a big prospect, like with DiceK)

Sask101
10-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I dont see how we dont go after him the dollars are basically a wassh with all the extra earnings that come with bring him over. As long as he can stay in the bigs with use it shouldnt cost us any thing and he could become great.

With all the young guy breaking out this year, and put up good start to have the bullpen lose them. We dont need a lead we could use one more great arm in the starting 5 but the leader ship in the starters was great and the hole team embraced it. We need the leadership in pen, from the closer.

No one had any confidence in our pen. Thats were we need to find our lead, the guy that goes in and every is excited because we know the game is ours. Not that old hear we go again.

town123
10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Only aging centerfielders should be worth 100 million contracts

You crack me up. Maybe Rogers could create a new channel that would help pay for Darvish.

town123
10-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Or how about the Jays do a 'Jim Balsilie' and get deposits from all potential Asian season ticket holders..... kapow!

FlakeyFool
10-14-2010, 05:58 PM
If rogers wants attendence up, this will drastically help.

Nofear
10-14-2010, 06:08 PM
You crack me up. Maybe Rogers could create a new channel that would help pay for Darvish.

Sportsnet 110m?

DiPasquale7
10-14-2010, 06:48 PM

You know what Toronto organization adopted that policy one season? The Leafs. Remember when we could have had Zdeno Chara but we ended up with Hall Gill and Pavel Kubina instead because he thought 2 good were better then 1 elite? How did that pan out...

Would you rather have Roy Halladay or John Lackey and Mark Buehrle?

I think most of us would take the elite player every time. Why? Because good players are easy to come by. They flood the free agent pools every summer. Elite players aren't easy to come by. It usually costs a ton of money or prospects or both to get them. If you get a chance to add a 22 year old potential ace to your core and all it costs is money, you do it.

Now is Dirvish a Cy Young candidate? I don't know. But he was known as one of the best 3 pitchers not in the MLB last year. The other 2? Strasburg and Chapman. Let's just say if you can add a player with that kind of potential at 22 and it doesn't even cost you a draft pick, you get that player every time.

Blind Melon
10-14-2010, 07:02 PM
I dont see why not. Spend the money, im not getting any younger

Pride
10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
You know what Toronto organization adopted that policy one season? The Leafs. Remember when we could have had Zdeno Chara but we ended up with Hall Gill and Pavel Kubina instead because he thought 2 good were better then 1 elite? How did that pan out...

I think most of us would take the elite player every time. Why? Because good players are easy to come by. They flood the free agent pools every summer. Elite players aren't easy to come by. It usually costs a ton of money or prospects or both to get them. If you get a chance to add a 22 year old potential ace to your core and all it costs is money, you do it.

Now is Dirvish a Cy Young candidate? I don't know. But he was known as one of the best 3 pitchers not in the MLB last year. The other 2? Strasburg and Chapman. Let's just say if you can add a player with that kind of potential at 22 and it doesn't even cost you a draft pick, you get that player every time.

Not if it costs you around 100 million. That's like Cliff Lee money.

adid727
10-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I'd rather spend 110 million towards a new stadium

thank you. And the rest of the money on someone like lee 5 year/100 million.

Both problems solved. But sign someone like lee only when we are planing to compete.

jon32
10-14-2010, 08:05 PM

Now is Dirvish a Cy Young candidate? I don't know. But he was known as one of the best 3 pitchers not in the MLB last year. The other 2? Strasburg and Chapman. Let's just say if you can add a player with that kind of potential at 22 an it doesn't even cost you a draft pick, you get that player every time.

110 million for someone whos putting up great numbers against alright players, for that much money id hope hes a cy young candidate every year. But not to say the league isnt good.....but we all know the story with Dice Ks dominance over seas and now look at him. Id much rather see the money on someone proven than to gamble like the bo sox did.

H-MYK
10-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't see a reason why not, we should give it a shot.

T.O. Fan
10-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Where are people are seeing the expected $100 mil posting fee?

I've only read that it will be aound $25 mil or possibly as high as $80 mil

http://www.metsblog.com/2010/09/30/yu-darvish-could-be-up-for-grabs/

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/report-the-diamondbacks-are-prepared-to-unload-the-money-truck-on-yu-darvish.php

If you have a source that says it will be anywhere near $100 mil please post the link.

StealingSigns
10-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Where are people are seeing the expected $100 mil posting fee?

I've only read that it will be aound $25 mil or possibly as high as $80 mil

http://www.metsblog.com/2010/09/30/yu-darvish-could-be-up-for-grabs/

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/report-the-diamondbacks-are-prepared-to-unload-the-money-truck-on-yu-darvish.php

If you have a source that says it will be anywhere near $100 mil please post the link.

According to that second link, 80 million is for posting fee AND contract.

kingmatsundin
10-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Why Does Everyone Keep Saying This Guy is 22years Old....he's 24 years Old.
With Phenomenal Stuff.

6th man
10-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Sign Darvish ($80M + $30/5yrs)
Sign Crawford ($125/8yrs)
Sign Victor Martinez ($15M/2yrs)
Sign Rafael Soriano($34M/4yrs)
sign Stairs($700K)

Trade for Ichiro.
Just adding Ichiro to what we have, because i am not sure who we'd have to give up.

OF- Snider/Crawford, Wells/Crawford, Ichiro
IF - Bautista, Escobar, Hill, Lind
C - Victor Martinez
DH - Snider/Wells

Utility
McDonald, Molina, Stairs

Rotation
Romero, Cecil, Darvish, Marcum, Morrow

Bullpen
Draybek, Mills, Janssen, Richmond, Rzepczynski, McGowan, Camp(Setup), Soriano(Closer)

Lineup
Ichiro(L)
Escobar(R)
Crawford(L)
Bautista(R)
Hill(R)
Wells(R)
Lind(L)
Martinez(S)
Snider(L)

or

Ichiro/Crawford
Crawford/Ichiro
Bautista
Wells
Hill
Martinez
Lind
Escobar
Snider

2009mvp
10-14-2010, 09:46 PM
^^:laugh2:

StealingSigns
10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
^^:laugh2:

x2

Gibby
10-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Why Does Everyone Keep Saying This Guy is 22years Old....he's 24 years Old.
With Phenomenal Stuff.

ya my bad. he still 3 years younger than dice-k when he came to the mlb.

Volkeswagon
10-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Definitly not. Not with the ridiculous posting fee. They'd have to be ******** to spend 80 million or even 50 just for the right to negotiate. Cliff lee would be cheaper and at least we know what we'd be getting.

StealingSigns
10-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Definitly not. Not with the ridiculous posting fee. They'd have to be ******** to spend 80 million or even 50 just for the right to negotiate. Cliff lee would be cheaper and at least we know what we'd be getting.

You do realize the 80 million is posting fee + contract? And yeah, we know what to expect from Cliff Lee. Diminishing returns.

DiPasquale7
10-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Cliff lee won't come here.

The Yankees will outbid us and there is no way he'd take a discount to come to Toronto. We need to get that through our heads.

And Darvish is $80 million for the posting fee and the contract. Not just the posting fee.

Shifty1 69
10-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Is Lincecum jumping up and roaring?? Cain? Sanchez? Bumgartner?
Leadership is overrated....
Those that command respect in the clubhouse will assume a leadership role... players will draw what they need from them, but when it comes down to it, these are all major league players, those that want to work at their craft and get better will do so... those with 10cent heads get claimed off waivers by the White Sox.;):D

I would take 5 #2 starters over 1 CC Sabathia and 4 uh-ohs in a row.....

Shifty1 69
10-15-2010, 08:34 AM
I dont see why not. Spend the money, im not getting any younger

HAHAHAHA.... well put.:clap::D

StayOnBoard
10-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Sign Darvish ($80M + $30/5yrs)
Sign Crawford ($125/8yrs)
Sign Victor Martinez ($15M/2yrs)
Sign Rafael Soriano($34M/4yrs)
sign Stairs($700K)

Trade for Ichiro.
Just adding Ichiro to what we have, because i am not sure who we'd have to give up.

OF- Snider/Crawford, Wells/Crawford, Ichiro
IF - Bautista, Escobar, Hill, Lind
C - Victor Martinez
DH - Snider/Wells

Utility
McDonald, Molina, Stairs

Rotation
Romero, Cecil, Darvish, Marcum, Morrow

Bullpen
Draybek, Mills, Janssen, Richmond, Rzepczynski, McGowan, Camp(Setup), Soriano(Closer)

Lineup
Ichiro(L)
Escobar(R)
Crawford(L)
Bautista(R)
Hill(R)
Wells(R)
Lind(L)
Martinez(S)
Snider(L)

or

Ichiro/Crawford
Crawford/Ichiro
Bautista
Wells
Hill
Martinez
Lind
Escobar
Snider

I want to add to this...

Let's trade Snider+Drabek+Prospect for Pujols...
And - we may as well trade Stewart+JPA for Prince Fielder...

then we can put one at 1st and one at DH - and our lineup would be insane....

And then.... the power went out - and MLB 2010 the Show stopped playing :(

Asham
10-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I want to add to this...

Let's trade Snider+Drabek+Prospect for Pujols...
And - we may as well trade Stewart+JPA for Prince Fielder...

then we can put one at 1st and one at DH - and our lineup would be insane....

And then.... the power went out - and MLB 2010 the Show stopped playing :(

Let's Go back in time and bring back Willie mays, Babe ruth, lou gehrig and hank aaron in their prime

StayOnBoard
10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Let's Go back in time and bring back Willie mays, Babe ruth, lou gehrig and hank aaron in their prime

Agreed! I think one of the MLB versions has a "historic" mode....

Might be able to pull it off! Hey, if anyone can - it's AA :cool:

j-mart
10-15-2010, 07:45 PM
^^ Cliff Lee is 32 years old. I would go with youth.

McJoe
10-15-2010, 10:47 PM
The posting fee would likely be upwards of 60 million which is all up front and not worth it. He'll go to Boston or New York.

ah nuts
10-16-2010, 03:46 PM
again, I trust AA and staff.

if they deem him has ACE-ish material - it's worth it.

simply, we need to own the best in this division(and keep our draft picks). And Rogers should have the bucks.

ryhno
10-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I think AA will at least try to get him. No harm in trying. Im sure the Jays have the money, as stated in the past if they need to use it , they will but, for the right cause. In this case It would be the cause lol.

Im sure AA is aware of Yu Darvish, and like I said AA will take a shot at him, just like we seen in the past.

If he does sign him, I will give him credit , but if not i will still respect the man.

Gibby
10-16-2010, 05:33 PM
You do realize the 80 million is posting fee + contract? And yeah, we know what to expect from Cliff Lee. Diminishing returns.

if its 80 million for postign fee + contract, thats seems like good deal. But i am not sure. this guy was supposed to be better than dice-k so why wont he get more $$.

I ve been reading some other stuff.

There is speculation that Darvish’s posting fee will be $25 million, and that he’ll seek a five year deal in America.

LINK (http://www.nasorb.com/2010/10/05/fixing-the-2011-seattle-mariners-yu-darvish/)

25 million posting fee would be great and a 5 year deal means he will be here for the long run.

Johann
10-16-2010, 10:19 PM
if its 80 million for postign fee + contract, thats seems like good deal. But i am not sure. this guy was supposed to be better than dice-k so why wont he get more $$.

LINK (http://www.nasorb.com/2010/10/05/fixing-the-2011-seattle-mariners-yu-darvish/)

25 million posting fee would be great and a 5 year deal means he will be here for the long run.

well we can scratch the Jays off his list. He said 'America'. lol

StealingSigns
10-16-2010, 10:43 PM

Yes, it prabably will be more. I was trying to illustrate it isn't an 80 million dollar posting fee as some posters have suggested.

dtmagnet
10-16-2010, 11:46 PM

Toronto is basically America.

nithanyo
10-17-2010, 12:01 AM
One thing ive learned from watching baseball is that money can buy you anything when it comes to this sport. Yu Darvish will see the dollars being offered to him and he will break.

Eagles4Lyfe
10-17-2010, 10:07 AM

ya meaning north america and isnt that where canada is??

B2B
10-17-2010, 10:16 AM
One thing ive learned from watching baseball is that money can buy you anything when it comes to this sport. Yu Darvish will see the dollars being offered to him and he will break.

+1 as apposed to Basketball that has a hard cap. Yet the Raptors look to free agency more than the Jays.

Johann
10-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Toronto is basically America.

ya meaning north america and isnt that where canada is??

what does lol after a sentence mean nowadays???

Eagles4Lyfe
10-17-2010, 08:37 PM
what does lol after a sentence mean nowadays???

take it from me absolutely NOTHING..to many cry babies around so i figured why not join in on the fun

jaysfan4ever
10-17-2010, 08:38 PM
It's a tough question, actually, because he's mostly unknown. The biggest question for me is his injury risk, as he's got a very whip-like action, and he's also very slim. This is usually why young pitchers don't cost massive amounts of money like Yu would cost.

I'd rather we spent the money on someone more sure, to be honest. I'm in the why not Cliff Lee, boat. In other news, I've read that Greinke is available via trade...

Johann
10-17-2010, 11:05 PM
take it from me absolutely NOTHING..to many cry babies around so i figured why not join in on the fun

aye aye aye

the link says America, not North America.
they be talkin bout USA, not the continent
"America **** ya. (music)....america **** ya"

EDIT:

LOL... My IDIOCIES are not needed...ma baad

StayOnBoard
10-19-2010, 09:10 PM
It's a tough question, actually, because he's mostly unknown. The biggest question for me is his injury risk, as he's got a very whip-like action, and he's also very slim. This is usually why young pitchers don't cost massive amounts of money like Yu would cost.

I'd rather we spent the money on someone more sure, to be honest. I'm in the why not Cliff Lee, boat. In other news, I've read that Greinke is available via trade...

The problem with Lee is he'll cost even MORE money and also a draft pick.

But your right - its hard to gamble so much on an unknown. Still, MLB isn't like the NFL for example where you have a salary cap - but I'd hate to have another Vernon Wells type contract on our hands.

I would support it either way because it's my team. :)

T.O. Fan
10-19-2010, 09:31 PM
He's not coming over this season.

http://ameblo.jp/darvish-yu-blog/entry-10681654380.html

http://www.npbtracker.com/2010/10/darvish-denies-mlb-move/#content

http://twitter.com/JCoskrey/status/27826328567

StealingSigns
10-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Damn.

jaysnraptors44
10-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I just heard hes decided to stay in Japan