PDA

View Full Version : If Kobe and LeBron play, we all win (not a bad read for ESPN)

D Roses Bulls
10-13-2010, 08:47 PM
If this has been posted, then just delete.

If you have the correct answer to the following question, you can be part of the largest pay-per-view sporting event in American history: Who would win in a one-on-one game between Kobe Bryant and LeBron James?

Kobe Bryant (in London last week): I'd win. That's what I do. One-on-one -- that's easy for me. One-on-one is how I grew up playing. It's, like, my thing. LeBron is more like a Magic Johnson. He's a great passer and plays an all-around game. At the core of me, I'm a one-on-one player. I'd do that in my sleep.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban: It depends on the rules. Is it, "no blood, no foul"?

Yes, the players would call their own fouls. There would be no referee. Who uses refs in one-on-one?

Cuban: Then I take LeBron. He's too big. Regular refs, I take Kobe.

Note: James is 2 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Bryant.

Cuban: Because if you let them call their own fouls, then the audience gets to make their own judgments, and that makes it more interesting.

Yes, they'd call their own fouls. So how much would you pay for Bryant versus James on your HDNet?

Cuban: A lot.

Denver Nuggets guard Chauncey Billups: I think Kobe is probably a better one-on-one player, but just in a one-on-one game, I think Bron is probably too big and strong. So Bron would probably win.

Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony: [laughs] I have no clue, man. It'd be a good game, though.

Note: James and Anthony are about the same size, and Anthony has fared well one-on-one versus Bryant.

ABA/NBA legend Rick Barry: I'd say Kobe would beat him. Kobe has more moves. And Kobe's the better shooter. LeBron might beat him in one game, if LeBron got hot with outside shooting. Would there be "three seconds"?

There would be no ref, so it would be up to the players to call three seconds. And in the entire history of one-on-one basketball, nobody has ever been weenie enough to call three seconds.

Barry: Well, then, Kobe would be in trouble. Because LeBron's a beast.

Isn't it true that you played one-on-one versus George "Iceman" Gervin at Trump's hotel in Atlantic City?

Barry: Yeah, George edged me, but I was sick. And Kareem played Dr. J and beat him. J never could shoot from the outside.

Former L.A. Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy: I'd pick Kobe because of his shooting and defending. He moves his feet better. He'd force LeBron to shoot from the outside. LeBron's a freight train in the open court, but there wouldn't be any open court.

Note: Bryant and James have played head-to-head 13 times. In those games, James has outscored Bryant eight times and beaten Kobe's team eight times.

Former NBA star Jalen Rose: Kobe Bryant is one of the all-time greats, but beating LBJ at one-on-one after a summer of knee surgery while heading into his 15th year ... I don't think so!

Note: Bryant is 32 years old. James is 25. Bryant is coming off arthroscopic surgery to his right knee in July.

Trainer Tim Grover (Attack Athletics in Chicago), who has trained Bryant, James and Michael Jordan: Hard to say. Kobe could back LeBron down, too. He's that strong. Don't put me in this spot. I'm not picking.

How about Jordan versus either man?

Grover: Oh, Michael. No question. From a physical and mental standpoint, he's the best I've ever seen. If he were playing now, with the way the refs call everything, and with all the padding these guys wear, he'd average 40 or 50 a night if he wanted.

Saint Louis University coach Rick Majerus: If there's no ref, then I pick LeBron. He's bigger, stronger and longer. Kobe would brace up and get more charges, but who calls charges in one-on-one? LeBron's length will bother Kobe, too. He'll block shots from behind. He's got that huge tight end body.

If there's a ref, I pick Kobe because he's relentless and because of his heart. Kobe wouldn't take a possession off. LeBron might. LeBron doesn't always treat the game with the seriousness and determination that Kobe does. Kobe is the ultimate in efficiency. He has the most beautiful economy of motion.

People! No refs! Sheeesh.

Steve in Los Angeles: Would there be 3-pointers?

Yes. And although both players shoot about the same from the field (Bryant shoots 45.5 percent, James 47.5 percent), Bryant is the better 3-point shooter -- 34 percent to James' 32.9 percent. Slight advantage to Kobe.

Note: In the Nike ad with the puppets, LeBron seems to get the best of Kobe.

Bill P. from Denver: Would it be make-it-take-it or alternating possessions?

Oh. My. God. Make it take it! Who plays alternating possessions in one-on-one? Where are you from, Sweden?

Bill P.: Then I pick Kobe because he'd get hot and never give the ball back. But if it's alternating possessions, then I'd pick LeBron. Kobe would get tired out having to guard the larger man every other time.

Note: In a recent Slamonline.com poll, readers picked Bryant 71 percent to 29 percent.

Former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy: I have no idea of who would win, but this is exactly what the All-Star Game needs. Forget the dunk contest, the rookie-sophomore game, the skills challenge, the 3-point thing, give us Kobe and LeBron to 21 and they call their own fouls. Get sponsorship and give money to charity. You have to get this done!

Sorry, the money is much bigger with PPV. Besides, I already called the NBA, and the league wouldn't bite on it.

Kevin Grigg, Detroit Pistons media guy: Do you have to win by two?

Yes, you must win by two. Because of the higher point value for baskets, the games would be to 35. Best of five. Coin flip to determine who gets the ball first, then winner gets ball out each game thereafter.

Grigg: In that case, the game might never end.

The one-on-one show's undercard would be:

* Steve Nash versus Chris Paul
* Shaquille O'Neal versus Nate Robinson
* Kevin Durant versus Carmelo Anthony
* Jordan versus Magic

Dunleavy: Man, I'd pay to see that.

Which is what we're counting on.

Consider that both players are fans of the Boys & Girls Club of America. In fact, when LeBron announced his decision to play for the Miami Heat, he sold it as a fundraiser and made them more than $2 million. That would be couch-cushion change compared to this.

At $50 per head, 5 million viewers would produce $250 million. If the average cost of building a Boys & Girls Club is $10 million, the proceeds would build 25 clubs around the country.

So the answer to the question: Who would win in a one-on-one game between Kobe Bryant and LeBron James? It's neither Kobe nor LeBron it's kids. July 4, 2011, work for you two?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5680638

kswissdaf
10-13-2010, 09:04 PM
But the thing is if they play 1 on 1 it takes away brons best attribute his passing

HoopsDrive
10-13-2010, 09:10 PM
IT would be awesome

LeBitteNoir
10-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Bron would wipe the floor with Kobe

el_primo_nano
10-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Bron would first have to make a show called the decision 2 before making any final commitments to playing against Kobe, and in the end he would come out saying that he preferred Melo to Kobe because it was the best matchup for him to win.

D Roses Bulls
10-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Bron would first have to make a show called the decision 2 before making any final commitments to playing against Kobe, and in the end he would come out saying that he preferred Melo to Kobe because it was the best matchup for him to win.

:clap: this is true

King Koopa
10-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I love Lebron but Kobe is like the guy at the park that you would never play 1v1 just because you know you don't have a chance. Dude can do it all. Lebron is just a game changer, and can out do kobe in 2v2's, 3v3's, 4v4's and 5v5's.

But 1v1 i got Kobe.

Chacarron
10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Kobe's offensive arsenal is very ample. Lebron would have many exciting dunks, but at the end I have Kobe due to his unmatched ability to create his own shot.

Avenged
10-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Like I said in the Lakers forum, it would depend on which of the two dictates their style of play first and remains with it. Kobe has the ability to create his own shot in any angle and can shoot from anywhere on the floor. Lebron being the athletic freak that he is, on top of being so strong, could just drive to the lane and get his easy points.

hgtiger32
10-13-2010, 10:13 PM
that be awesome to see...

MoBASS
10-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Like I said in the Lakers forum, it would depend on which of the two dictates their style of play first and remains with it. Kobe has the ability to create his own shot in any angle and can shoot from anywhere on the floor. Lebron being the athletic freak that he is, on top of being so strong, could just drive to the lane and get his easy points.

If Kobe guards Lebron from the top of the key, LeBron won't just drive through the lane. Advantage Kobe.

Avenged
10-13-2010, 10:54 PM
If Kobe guards Lebron from the top of the key, LeBron won't just drive through the lane. Advantage Kobe.

Maybe, but Lebron can get inside the paint with practically every player that guards him. If that were the case, we'd see Kobe guarding Lebron at all times when their teams face each other and Lebron would probably scoreless.. That doesn't happen because he's just that good. Kobe though, is more creative and can shoot it from anywhere which should give him the advantage 1 on 1.

Kakaroach
10-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Would be insanely exciting to watch, and if it was PPV the ratings would be crazy. I don't see it happening, but it would be sick.

kArSoN RyDaH
10-13-2010, 11:25 PM
i think everyone in the world would pay to watch this match up. it would be up there with the superbowl. all of china would watch because of Kobe.

dodie53
10-13-2010, 11:31 PM
i'd go with LBJ,
too strong for kobe imo.

LeBitteNoir
10-14-2010, 12:06 AM
LeBron would win. But Bosh is better than both of them combined.

jerellh528
10-14-2010, 12:07 AM
For people to even choose kobe, who is 7 years older and 2 inches and 30lbs smaller must say alot about kobe's skill. I know when I play 1v1 against guys that much bigger I feel a huge disadvantage. With that being said..I choose Kobe. :cool:

Raph12
10-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Kobe would rape him, Lebron's a beast in the open floor because of his athleticism and passing, but in a half-court set, Kobe 9 times out of 10.

rleg4305
10-14-2010, 12:32 AM
They should play All-Star weekend. That would be way more exciting than any other event that weekend!

Ebbs
10-14-2010, 02:22 AM
I think easily Lebron is the better player in the NBA. But despite size, and age I think Kobe could take him 1 on 1.

Also Paul will beat Nash because Steve is a less all around player. Better shooter, playmaker, and transition player. But defensively chris wipes the floor with him.

I think Melo takes it to Durant and shuts everybody up.

Nate hammers it home on grandpa Shaq.

And Michael still takes it to Magic.

Seriously awesome idea would be so cool.

RaiderLakersA's
10-14-2010, 11:45 AM
You guys are looking at this all wrong. The man who plays best when injured wins this one.

A no fouls streetball scenario would mean that someone is going to get hurt. If Kobe could elbow crazy *** Artest in the throat, he'll definitely have no problems doing the same to LeBron. And LeBron "speeding locomotive to the rim" James would definitely use his bulk and height to try to steamroll Kobe. The physicality will be off the charts.

But the difference is that Kobe thrives on that. We've all been witnesses to that already. How far did LeBron's mysterious elbow injury get him against the Celtics? Now compare that to Kobe's knee, ankle, fingers, and a few other injuries that he played with against the Celtics in the Finals.

First call the press, then call the paramedics, because we all know who has the stronger will to fight through injuries and get the job done. Kobe, Kobe, Kobe and Kobe again.

Chronz
10-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Wait so how do you stop Bron from getting into the paint without a plethora of 7 footers around you? People bring up Kobes defense but what defense is there when the guy doesnt have to fear refs or a shot clock? Couldnt he just back down Kobe face up back him down again all the way to the rim. At which point he could just explode over the top of Kobe.

I mean how does Kobe have a chance? Why does his jumper give him the edge over a dunk? 1 on 1 you take away the biggest defensive strength any team has on Bron, the fact that you can put a wall in front of the rim and hope he shoots. Kobe cant do that alone.

Chronz
10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
You guys are looking at this all wrong. The man who plays best when injured wins this one.

A no fouls streetball scenario would mean that someone is going to get hurt. If Kobe could elbow crazy *** Artest in the throat, he'll definitely have no problems doing the same to LeBron. And LeBron "speeding locomotive to the rim" James would definitely use his bulk and height to try to steamroll Kobe. The physicality will be off the charts.

But the difference is that Kobe thrives on that. We've all been witnesses to that already. How far did LeBron's mysterious elbow injury get him against the Celtics? Now compare that to Kobe's knee, ankle, fingers, and a few other injuries that he played with against the Celtics in the Finals.

First call the press, then call the paramedics, because we all know who has the stronger will to fight through injuries and get the job done. Kobe, Kobe, Kobe and Kobe again.

I didnt believe any of this, sounds like your Kobes promoter whos trying to spin injuries in a positive way. Hey Kobe being hurt will help him because Bron sucks when hes hurt. LMFAO Yes because how Bron/Kobe performed against the Celtics was totally up them and had nothing to do with their teammates.

Kobe doesnt thrive on being posted up, it takes alot out of him. Why do you think you guys hated having him on Melo. Imagine that magnified without Refs or a time limit. Kobe would be gassed as soon as Bron started banging. LOL thrives on it.

John Walls Era
10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I think a lot of money would have to go to the winner in order for this to really happen. Pride plays a small role compared with cash.

daleja424
10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Id go Kobe. I feel like he would just stroke it from outside and lebron may not get the ball... lol

da wood
10-14-2010, 12:09 PM
chronz if that were the case bron would do that to alot of people.......but the reality of it all is the fact that bron has no post game so he wouldnt back kobe down down. it would be a good game and you mention that kobe have no 7 footer and refs i think that goes the same for kobe having to guard bron he wouldnt have to worry bout fouling out.

da wood
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I didnt believe any of this, sounds like your Kobes promoter whos trying to spin injuries in a positive way. Hey Kobe being hurt will help him because Bron sucks when hes hurt. LMFAO Yes because how Bron/Kobe performed against the Celtics was totally up them and had nothing to do with their teammates.

Kobe doesnt thrive on being posted up, it takes alot out of him. Why do you think you guys hated having him on Melo. Imagine that magnified without Refs or a time limit. Kobe would be gassed as soon as Bron started banging. LOL thrives on it.

dont compare brons post up game to melo matter of fact kobe is one of three guys in the nba with a complete game and another one is melo the third guy is not bron.

RaiderLakersA's
10-14-2010, 12:14 PM

I'm not a Kobe promoter, I'm a Lakers promoter.

But that said, read that part in bold again and you tell me which one of them QUIT in their series against the Celtics? One of them flat out quit and it had nothing to do with their teammates.

Sometimes it's the will of the man, and not just the skill of the man.

footballer2369
10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
chronz if that were the case bron would do that to alot of people.......but the reality of it all is the fact that bron has no post game so he wouldnt back kobe down down. it would be a good game and you mention that kobe have no 7 footer and refs i think that goes the same for kobe having to guard bron he wouldnt have to worry bout fouling out.

dont compare brons post up game to melo matter of fact kobe is one of three guys in the nba with a complete game and another one is melo the third guy is not bron.

You haven't watched this preseason have you?

Lebron has added the post game as an integral part of his game...

da wood
10-14-2010, 12:20 PM
he does that in the pre season but he wont be able to go to that like melo can

Chronz
10-14-2010, 12:34 PM
chronz if that were the case bron would do that to alot of people.......
No because the reality is he plays a game with rules and regulations. He cant do it because the rules prevent it.

but the reality of it all is the fact that bron has no post game so he wouldnt back kobe down down.
Backing someone down isnt a post skill, I have a friend whos 7"5 and has never played basketball, Im absolutely positive he can post up Allen Iverson and score. Does that make sense?

it would be a good game and you mention that kobe have no 7 footer and refs i think that goes the same for kobe having to guard bron he wouldnt have to worry bout fouling out.
If you let the 2 get physical the bigger and brutish force will benefit most.

Zefflin
10-14-2010, 02:30 PM
People arguing about size...have you ever played basketball one on one before? haha Some of you noobs are actually acting as if Kobe or any NBA player for that matter really would worry about size playing one on one. I know I don't. I'm 6 feet tall 175 and I play my buddy 6'3 215 one on one all the time. Although he has beaten me, I am the better player, and will win 7 out of 10 times...just like Kobe would.

carterrose
10-14-2010, 03:02 PM
yeh, no body know the answer except they did ...

KnicksorBust
10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I've been hoping for some kind of ncaa tournament of nba 1 on 1's for a while now (even though I've come to accept the absurdity of players actually agreeing to it). Those of you that have been on the site might have remembered that I actually did a PSD vote of the top 64 players all the way through. Took for everyone but was REALLY interesting because it had a lot of random matchups like Brandon Roy vs. Dirk in the Sweet 16, to classics like Chris Paul vs. Steve Nash in round 1.

godolphins
10-14-2010, 06:45 PM
One on one i'll take Lebron due to his power and athleticism.

Klivlend
10-14-2010, 06:53 PM
No because the reality is he plays a game with rules and regulations. He cant do it because the rules prevent it.

Backing someone down isnt a post skill, I have a friend whos 7"5 and has never played basketball, Im absolutely positive he can post up Allen Iverson and score. Does that make sense?

If you let the 2 get physical the bigger and brutish force will benefit most.

That's the part that doesn't make sense! 7'5''! Holy crap! How does he not play ball?! He could be a millionaire based off of potential. Go play overseas and make 6 figures for a few years.

HoopsDrive
10-14-2010, 07:06 PM
What makes me doubt that LeBron would win is the fact that only pride on the line won't be enough to make LeBron go all out on Kobe with his superior physicality. Sort of like how nobody takes the ASG seriously so they don't risk injuries, etc. Both players would settle for jumpers on many possessions and I'd give the edge to Kobe based on that.

Article has a valid point though. I'd pay to watch this **** any day of the week.

jerellh528
10-14-2010, 11:08 PM
People arguing about size...have you ever played basketball one on one before? haha Some of you noobs are actually acting as if Kobe or any NBA player for that matter really would worry about size playing one on one. I know I don't. I'm 6 feet tall 175 and I play my buddy 6'3 215 one on one all the time. Although he has beaten me, I am the better player, and will win 7 out of 10 times...just like Kobe would.

NOT!
that means your friend must be way less skilled than you, someone who knows how to use that size and is around as skilled as you should win 7 out of 10 times.
I think however, kobe' skill makes up for his lack of size = victory.