PDA

View Full Version : NBA Athleticism today...

sp1derm00
10-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Is freaking SCARY.

Dwight
Josh Smith
Amare
Griffin

Lebron
Gerald Wallace

Wade

Rose
Wall

This is possibly the most hyper-athletes the NBA has seen play together in one generation.

NYKalltheway
10-13-2010, 05:51 PM
It is quite remarkable I guess...

asandhu23
10-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Ellis belongs up there as well.

i.got.the.nutz
10-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Wheres Sasha

Ragun
10-13-2010, 05:56 PM

lol no he doesnt.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-13-2010, 05:57 PM
WHERE THE **** IS ADAM MORRISON...BIG Z? NOT EVEN BRIAN SCALABRINE?!?! what a ****ing joke....close thread

Da Knicks
10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Nate robinson, a. Randolph, jr. Smith, d. Rose

arkanian215
10-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Favors should be up there with Griffin and co. 35.5" max vert.

the_jon
10-13-2010, 06:28 PM
DeMar Derozan!

Netslunatic76
10-13-2010, 06:29 PM

Is Ellis constantly on your mind?

You can't forget Shannon Brown.

Chacarron
10-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Wheres Sasha

Funny dude.

sep11ie
10-13-2010, 06:38 PM
You left out Eddy Curry, Yao, Big Baby, and Chuck Hayes...

JWO35
10-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Where's Joe Alexander aka Young Byrd Jr.

sep11ie
10-13-2010, 06:40 PM
In all honesty it hasn't changed in years. Where you old enough to remember Shawn Kemp, M.J., Dr. J, Stacey Augman, Mugsy, or Clyde the Glide?

DerekRE_3
10-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Is Ellis constantly on your mind?

You can't forget Shannon Brown.

Absolute freak of a jumper.

Klivlend
10-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Is freaking SCARY.

Dwight
Josh Smith
Amare
Griffin

Lebron
Gerald Wallace

Wade

Rose
Wall

This is possibly the most hyper-athletes the NBA has seen play together in one generation.

Nate robinson, a. Randolph, jr. Smith, d. Rose

Reading comprehension, homes. I wonder how low the average reading level is on PSD?

Law25
10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Is freaking SCARY.

Dwight
Josh Smith
Amare
Griffin

Lebron
Gerald Wallace

Wade

Rose
Wall

I get your point but.:

Kobe bryant
Vince Carter
Tracey Mcgrady
Jason Richardson
Baron Davis
Steve Francis
Allen Iverson
Kevin Garnett
Shaq
Ricky Davis
Desmond Mason

This is an few of the early 2000's flight crew who may diagree

sp1derm00
10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
In all honesty it hasn't changed in years. Where you old enough to remember Shawn Kemp, M.J., Dr. J, Stacey Augman, Mugsy, or Clyde the Glide?

I am old enough to remember MJ, Kemp, and Mugsy... don't really remember Augmon but def wasn't old enough to experience Dr. J.

Dr. J wasn't even in the same generation as the rest of the players listed.

My point wasn't the peak of athleticism in each generation (though LBJ has a strong case for most gifted athlete ever). My argument was for the sheer number of hyper athletes we have in today's NBA.

sp1derm00
10-13-2010, 07:06 PM
I get your point but.:

Kobe bryant
Vince Carter
Tracey Mcgrady
Jason Richardson
Baron Davis
Steve Francis
Allen Iverson
Kevin Garnett
Shaq
Ricky Davis
Desmond Mason

This is an few of the early 2000's flight crew who may diagree

Shaq was athletic for his size, he wasn't a hyper athlete with incredible speed, agility, or vertical.

Tmac was athletic, but not a hyper-athlete. He didn't exactly jump out of the building, or perform the most gravity defying dunks. He had a knack for scoring and good handles for someone with his length.

Baron Davis?! Really?!

Also, if we're naming non-stars...

Gerald Green
Shannon Brown
Nate Robinson
Demar Derozan
Barbosa

If you take out the non-stars in the 2000's you've got Kobe, VC, JRich, AI, KG, and Steve Francis. I don't think anyone in that group aside from maybe VC comes close to LBJ, Dwight, and Josh Smith.

Klivlend
10-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Didn't T-Mac dunk over Shawn Bradley? But, then again, a lot of people dunk on Shawn Bradley over the years.

ManRam
10-13-2010, 07:13 PM
I personally think LeBron is #2 all-time, and that's only because I'd vote Wilt #1, and that's mainly just because of how much more athletic he was than anyone else during his NBA playing days.

But the athleticism today is obviously amazing, and the reason above is why. Wilt today wouldn't be oterworldy. He was back in his days.

The athleticism today is definitely the best it has ever been, and it will continue to progress.

DerekRE_3
10-13-2010, 07:14 PM
You might hate LeBron, but how the hell can you justify a list without him on it? Hell, I think it's hard to justify a list with him anywhere but #1 or #2. Dwight and LeBron, then the rest.

LeBron as only been mentioned once :facepalm:

Never ceased to be amazed. I mean, he almost had 70% of the votes amongst the 190 NBA players last year who voted on this.

I personally think he's #2 all-time, and that's only because I'd vote Wilt #1, and that's mainly just because of how much more athletic he was than anyone else during his NBA playing days.

The OP listed Lebron. Nobody else mentioned him in the posts after because people are saying names that they think deserve to be on the OP's list as well.

montazingmvp
10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
lol no he doesnt.

he'got a 35+ inch vert, and he's easily the fastest player in the league without the ball... lol, yes he does, idiot...

ChiBulls91
10-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Shaq was athletic for his size, he wasn't a hyper athlete with incredible speed, agility, or vertical.

Shaq was everything you just said he was not. When shaq started out on the magic he looked like dwight howard with an offensive game. Just because shaq is way past his prime now doesnt mean you can say that he was not a hyper athlete back in his day

Gators123
10-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Terrico white 6'5 and has a 41 inch vertical.

All the scouts said hes the most athletic person out of the 2010 draft.

iFYouSeekAmy
10-13-2010, 11:16 PM

Tmac was athletic, but not a hyper-athlete. He didn't exactly jump out of the building, or perform the most gravity defying dunks. He had a knack for scoring and good handles for someone with his length.

Baron Davis?! Really?!

Gerald Green
Shannon Brown
Nate Robinson
Demar Derozan
Barbosa

If you take out the non-stars in the 2000's you've got Kobe, VC, JRich, AI, KG, and Steve Francis. I don't think anyone in that group aside from maybe VC comes close to LBJ, Dwight, and Josh Smith.

He participated in the dunk contest (I forgot if it was high school or NBA), but he won despite being the smallest out of the group at 6'2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w_1ZEk4mds

I mean, c'mon.

beasted86
10-13-2010, 11:17 PM
How is Igoudala not on the OP's list, nor anybody elses that follows?

SMH.

iFYouSeekAmy
10-13-2010, 11:19 PM
lol no he doesnt.

He had an unbelievable 36+ inch vertical and he is one of the fastest player in the NBA if not the fastest.

DerekRE_3
10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
He had an unbelievable 36+ inch vertical and he is one of the fastest player in the NBA if not the fastest.

A 36 inch vert really isn't that incredible.

kblo247
10-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Didn't T-Mac dunk over Shawn Bradley? But, then again, a lot of people dunk on Shawn Bradley over the years.

Derek Fisher put Bradley in a poster before his foot injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGA5rBrtEf4

kblo247
10-13-2010, 11:27 PM

Baron Davis?! Really?!

Gerald Green
Shannon Brown
Nate Robinson
Demar Derozan
Barbosa

You must have missed the Van Exel, Kobe, Shaq, and EJ Lakers to say that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFM5KL5WwrI

EDIT - I found a better video to help you understand what a freak he was with that group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVnZweSYP6A&feature=player_embedded

tredigs
10-13-2010, 11:35 PM

Baron Davis?! Really?!

Gerald Green
Shannon Brown
Nate Robinson
Demar Derozan
Barbosa

You're scoffing at Baron Davis??? Dude was such a freak athlete/dunker when he came out of UCLA.

Most athletic combo going into the 2010/11 season hasn't even been mentioned yet (unless I missed it). Westbrook and Ibaka (AKA Air Congo). Westbrook is every bit as athletic as Rose, and it's tough finding a big more athletic than Ibaka (super fit/strong, fast, and can dunk from the free throw line).

Edit: And have people mentioned Rudy Gay? Freak of an athlete.

dodie53
10-13-2010, 11:37 PM
freaks of nature

iFYouSeekAmy
10-13-2010, 11:40 PM
A 36 inch vert really isn't that incredible.

Hahah yeah. Might've exaggerated on that one. But saying Monta is 'not at all' athletic doesn't really make much sense either.

DerekRE_3
10-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Hahah yeah. Might've exaggerated on that one. But saying Monta is 'not at all' athletic doesn't really make much sense either.

Well yeah, he's athletic, he's just not one of the most athletic players in the NBA.

kblo247
10-13-2010, 11:50 PM
It that 2nd video in my post Eddie Jones takes off for a layup one foot inside the 3pt line. That is athletic.

Raph12
10-13-2010, 11:58 PM

Those are some of the greatest athletes in the history of the NBA not just from one era. The league today is much more athletic than it was back then. I can name more beast athletes in today's league than you could name all-time.

3RDASYSTEM
10-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Drexler,Shaq,VC,AI,Amare,LeBron,Wade,Kemp,G.Wallac e,Jordan,Wilt,D.Howard,Gay,G.Hill,Barkley,D.Robins on...Its a few more but yall get my drift..Kobe is way more skill than ''freakish'' athlete he's a good athlete, but MJ/AI/LeBron got both equally in my book

TheHoopsProphet
10-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Perhaps that maybe true. But with influx of josh smith clones taking over the nba, the ray allen clones are a dying breed. Pure shooting seems to be a thing of the pass. I suppose that's because how easy it is to get whistles driving to the lane, or how much easier itself it is to drive to the basket because of the defenders unable to touch you.

Still, they said Glavine would be our last 300 game winner. Ray Allen will be our last pure shooter.

tredigs
10-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Perhaps that maybe true. But with influx of josh smith clones taking over the nba, the ray allen clones are a dying breed. Pure shooting seems to be a thing of the pass. I suppose that's because how easy it is to get whistles driving to the lane, or how much easier itself it is to drive to the basket because of the defenders unable to touch you.

Still, they said Glavine would be our last 300 game winner. Ray Allen will be our last pure shooter.

I have someone I think you should meet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=818YaFLwSuM

Both Curry and Morrow are young as hell and AMAZING pure shooters. That talent will always have its niche, don't ya worry.

OBredskin
10-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Andre Miller Baby!!!

Law25
10-14-2010, 02:03 AM

Baron Davis?! Really?!

Gerald Green
Shannon Brown
Nate Robinson
Demar Derozan
Barbosa

You cant be serious. Shaq was able to do 360 dunks, can Dwight? Shaq also jumped almost as high with more power in his younger days. If your saying anyone on your list can out dunk anyone on my list from the small to bigs your nutts. Vince, Kobe and Mcgrady alone were better athletes in their day, all lebron has on them is strenght. Ther were way better in game dunkers back then, rather it be for flash or rather it be dunking on people they were among the best ever. Go on youtube look at what they did. Question, how many big do you see get bashed on by kats on your list, aside from Dwight ther isnt one because they all dunk on smalls these days if at all. All they do today is try to get to the foul line. Back then they wanted to embarrass you because thats how you got cred.

Law25
10-14-2010, 02:26 AM
You must have missed the Van Exel, Kobe, Shaq, and EJ Lakers to say that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFM5KL5WwrI

EDIT - I found a better video to help you understand what a freak he was with that group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVnZweSYP6A&feature=player_embedded

That was one of the deepest teams ever. Del Harris was dumb as hell not to start Kobe dispite the fact that it was widely known Kobe was ther best option at that position. If he was smart enough to bring Eddie Jones off the bench, and put aside his feeling towards veterns that team could have done so much more.

Raph12
10-14-2010, 02:33 AM
You cant be serious. Shaq was able to do 360 dunks, can Dwight? Shaq also jumped almost as high with more power in his younger days. If your saying anyone on your list can out dunk anyone on my list from the small to bigs your nutts. Vince, Kobe and Mcgrady alone were better athletes in their day, all lebron has on them is strenght. Ther were way better in game dunkers back then, rather it be for flash or rather it be dunking on people they were among the best ever. Go on youtube look at what they did. Question, how many big do you see get bashed on by kats on your list, aside from Dwight ther isnt one because they all dunk on smalls these days if at all. All they do today is try to get to the foul line. Back then they wanted to embarrass you because thats how you got cred.

Are you kidding, if Dwight can touch 13' (top of the backboard) and dunk 12' I'm sure he could easily throw down a 360. Let me see Shaq do any of these dunks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIz7sYjp1Sc

Today's league has much more athletic players league-wide, dunks like between-the-legs and from the FT line is considered easy now, hell James White did both at the same time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR2XFpaoOxo

It's really incomparable, even the schlubs can throwdown better than most in the previous eras. If I go through the list of athletes in the league team-by-team, I'd be here all night. The game has evolved, athleticism is no longer a great attribute, it's a given.

dwilly4rilly
10-14-2010, 02:56 AM
It's pretty obvious the human race continues to get bigger, faster, and stronger. Ever wonder why people break world records at every Olympics? The advances in training and diets of athletes, and good'ol evolution make it possible. Yes, naturally there are more athletic players now than ever before.

sp1derm00
10-14-2010, 11:42 AM

If by strength you mean strength in his legs to outrun and outjump (well, not outjump VC) them. Lebron's athleticism is actually being underrated in this thread for some inexplicable reason.

There are many parts of athleticism:

strength
agility
leaping ability
body control
speed

VC has a few of those abilities. Kobe had body control and agility, not really speed, leaping ability, or incredible strength. Tmac had good body control for his length, but he wasn't a very good leaper by today's standards, i wouldn't label him a hyper-athlete. Tmac's most important attribute was being a 6-8 shooting guard which was extremely rare back then.

Lebron has every single one of these attributes in excess of almost any other player in the NBA.

VC might have him beat in leaping ability but would come up way short on just about every other attribute. Kobe has Bron on body control, but will come up short on every single other attribute on the list.

Hawkeye15
10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
LeBron is the obvious choice. There has never been a player with his combination of size, speed, and strength

Heater4life
10-14-2010, 12:01 PM
LeBron is the obvious choice. There has never been a player with his combination of size, speed, and strength

Lebron doesnt jump, the guy freaking flys! No brainer, when it comes athleticism, hes tops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9TAoPPgKQ

:eyebrow:

Gators123
10-14-2010, 12:03 PM
But guys, Kobe can jump over a moving car! :laugh2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIWeEFV59d4

VinceCarter
10-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Favors should be up there with Griffin and co. 35.5" max vert.

Terrence Williams. That's who I thought of when I read the title.

arkanian215
10-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Terrence Williams. That's who I thought of when I read the title.

Jordan Farmar has a 42" vertical? No way...

Top 10 max verts according to draftexpress (older draft classes may be wrong) - only guys who got drafted
Nate Robinson - 2004
Vince Carter - 1998
Speedy Claxton - 2000
Jordan Farmar - 2006
Patrick Ewing - 2008
Al Thornton - 2007
Ronnie Brewer - 2006
JR Rider - 1993
O.J. Mayo - 2008
Troy Bell - 2003

SeoulBeatz
10-14-2010, 02:00 PM

Baron Davis?! Really?!

Gerald Green
Shannon Brown
Nate Robinson
Demar Derozan
Barbosa

huh?

Baron Davis used to THROW IT DOWN man. Have you seen his streetball highlights?

Double_R
10-14-2010, 02:07 PM
How about Vince Carter, I know he is getting up there, but he can still fly with the best of them.

Sly Guy
10-14-2010, 02:08 PM
a testament to biochemical engineering to be sure.

Double_R
10-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Lebron doesnt jump, the guy freaking flys! No brainer, when it comes athleticism, hes tops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9TAoPPgKQ

:eyebrow:

There has never been a guy like Dwight Howard, the size and leaping ability is uncanny....

Lebron and Dwight are the 2 most athletic guys I have ever seen.

AntiG
10-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Don't forget Dominique, Hakeem (who before his knee problems was the most ridiculously athletic center maybe ever), Larry Nance, Cedric Ceballos and Spud Webb amongst many others.

AntiG
10-14-2010, 03:43 PM
There has never been a guy like Dwight Howard, the size and leaping ability is uncanny....

Lebron and Dwight are the 2 most athletic guys I have ever seen.

Young Hakeem and Larry Nance were every bit as athletic and jumped just as high.

Lebron is definitely one of the greatest freak athletes of all time in any sport in terms of ht-wt vs speed-strength-jumping ability measurements, right there with the likes of Vernon Davis, Calvin Johnson, Matt Jones, Mario Williams and Brock Lesnar.

Mplsman
10-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Some freaks in this game.