PDA

View Full Version : Expanding Postseason a Real Possibilty

GoatMilk
10-13-2010, 03:23 AM
Typo Title. my bad

According to a source with Major League Baseball, the proposals being developed to add two wild-card teams to the playoffs include provisions to use an NFL-style tiebreaker system based around head-to-head play to send teams into the playoffs when two or more teams tie for division titles and wild-card spots.

Commissioner Bud Selig has confirmed baseball is studying possibilities to expand the postseason field. Eight teams currently go, but there is strong consideration being given to increasing that number to 10, beginning as soon as 2011. The new games would provide programming for the MLB Network and allow fringe teams to remain competitive deeper into September.

MLB is concerned that the traditional play-in tiebreakers would make a four-tier playoff system impractical because the six division champs would have too much down time before the division series, especially if the wild cards play a best-of-three series. There are proposals being developed to be presented to general managers in November that call for one-game, winner-take-all showdowns — identical to the current Game 163s — and a best-of-three format.

The NFL-style tiebreakers would break ties based first on season series and secondly division record, according to the source.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-rogers-playoff-expansion--20101012,0,172571.column

The Bradley
10-13-2010, 03:39 AM
I don't like the idea. I like the fact that it is so hard to get into the post season in baseball. I wish basketball was more like baseball and let less people in the playoffs. It would make the regular season more interesting.

More-Than-Most
10-13-2010, 04:10 AM
No dammit. If they want to expand the postseason just make the NLDS AND ALDS 7 games... Stop making it so damn easy for teams to get in... Basketball and Hockey have this same problem

MinnesnowtaWild
10-13-2010, 04:15 AM
I agree...in the NHL more teams make the playoffs than not. Now in the NHL, there is a bit more parity and I think this system works but not in MLB. The NHL postseason is so damn long though it gets kinda old after a while (and hockey is my passion). I realize this new proposal wouldn't really extend the playoffs much but I also love how it's very hard for teams to make the playoffs in MLB.

Jeffy25
10-13-2010, 04:29 AM
I agree...in the NHL more teams make the playoffs than not. Now in the NHL, there is a bit more parity and I think this system works but not in MLB. The NHL postseason is so damn long though it gets kinda old after a while (and hockey is my passion). I realize this new proposal wouldn't really extend the playoffs much but I also love how it's very hard for teams to make the playoffs in MLB.

Same with the NBA, it feels like the playoffs take 2 months!

Jeffy25
10-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Allowing fringe teams a shot could be interesting...maybe you change the rules for the wild card, if you are desperate.
(just spitting out an idea that I don't really like here)

You make the top four wild card teams play for the wild card on the 163rd and 164th game days of the season...since those days are off days anyway.

So, for example:

Atlanta, San Diego, St. Louis, and Colorado all have two days to try to win the wild card.

You pair them by seeds, so Atlanta won 91, so they have the first seed, and Colorado won 83, so they have the four seed, so they play each other on day 163, winner plays on day 164.

San Diego has the 2 seed for winning 90 games, and they play the 3 seed St. Louis and their 86 wins as well on day 163. The winner plays on day 164.

Then the winner of day 164 will travel to play the team with the best overall record in the NL, in this case, they travel to Philly for the 5 game series, or, if the interest is to create more games, then best of 7 series.

I don't really like this idea, I have a different idea that I would rather see, but it would allow teams to continue to be competing into the last week, and more teams planning their aces for one last shot going into the end of the season, and eliminates the one game playoff model that currently exits.

Problem you would have is cutting off the 4th seed, what if two teams have identical records and are tied for the 4th seed? What best in division record?

Either way, don't fix it, it doesn't need to be fixed....if you really want to create more games, make the DS series a best of 7, which honestly, I would be fine with.

Jeffy25
10-13-2010, 04:38 AM
Now the playoff system that I really want?

I want two more AL teams, and each league to have 16 teams (or just an even number)

4 divisions, 4 teams in each division, winner of each division makes playoffs for a seeded slot.

MelanconMadness
10-13-2010, 04:55 AM
I dont even like the Yankees sitting out 5 days in between games let alone an entire series and then some. If its expanded, it would have to be 16 but thats too much

Ezekial
10-13-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't think the NHL is watered down in the Playoffs with many teams.

Post-season NHL is the best post-season in US sports.

Jeffy25
10-13-2010, 05:08 AM
I don't think the NHL is watered down in the Playoffs with many teams.

Post-season NHL is the best post-season in Canadian sports.

;)

Ezekial
10-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Born in the USA and my favorite sports rank as such,
1 Football
2 Hockey
3 Basketball
4 Baseball

I do say eh though.

LoveOfTheGame
10-13-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm not a huge fan of another team from each league getting in. I would rather make every series a 7 game series, and eliminate the off days so that each team has to use a full rotation.

YanksNats1987
10-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Not a fan of expanding the playoffs. If a team is 5 games back in the Wild Card then so be it, they missed out.

Pinstripe pride
10-13-2010, 08:41 AM
stupid. the playoffs should not expand. the more exclusive it is the more exciting the season gets. all this will do is water down the season

todu82
10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I like this idea. But if they do it cut the regular season by a week or 2.

Bob Loblaw
10-13-2010, 10:14 AM
No dammit. If they want to expand the postseason just make the NLDS AND ALDS 7 games... Stop making it so damn easy for teams to get in... Basketball and Hockey have this same problem

I see your from Philly so it must have made you upset to see the Flyers qualify in the 7th seed and make it to the Finals?

ManRam
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Same with the NBA, it feels like the playoffs take 2 months!

They feel like they take two months, because they do take 2 months!

LA's first game verse OKC was 4/18. Their last game was 6/17 vs. Boston.

Way too long. Baseball as it right.

Dmac
10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
stupid. the playoffs should not expand. the more exclusive it is the more exciting the season gets. all this will do is water down the season

Actually, it could make the season more meaningful, and make winning your division that much more important.

I don't like expanding the playoffs, but if they are going to add on team per league, it should be a one game playoff. It gives the wild card a serious disadvantage in the post season, which they should be at anyway.

If they had a one game playoff this year, the Yankees would have to face the Red Sox. They would have started Sabathia, so even if they won to advance, he wouldn't be able to start game one in the next round. So, now the wild card is at an even more disadvantage because their ace would have to be used in the one game playoff, and wouldn't be available for the beginning of the LDS series. The series should start the following day as well, so the winner has to immediately fly to whatever team they had to face next.

The other changes they should make is make the first round seven games, and the best record should have home field in the world series, unless they were a wild card team.

jmb8311
10-13-2010, 11:17 AM
How about we start with what is the dumbest part of the playoffs, a best of 5 series, and get it fixed. How the LDS are still a best of five is beyond me. A season that is 162 games long is worried that an extra two games is going to extend the season too long? Give me a break.

PatelJ1010
10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I would love this if they would add all the teams 1-16 in NL and 1-14 in AL!!!But only 1 game determines the result!! SO something like this would be funn
FOR THE NL
1 VS 16
2 VS 15
3 VS 14
4 VS 13
5 VS 12
6 VS 11
7 VS 10
8 VS 9

For the AL
1 VS 14
2 VS 13
3 Vs 12
4 VS 11
5 VS 10
6 VS 9
7 VS 8

VenezuelanMet
10-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Hockey has the same sort of randomness than baseball in a short series, so, even if I think that too many teams make the playoffs they're not boring. Basketball on the other hand, sucks.

I like the current system in baseball, if you're not a top team after 162 games you don't deserve a shot for the trophy, pretty straightforward.

gocubs2118
10-13-2010, 12:17 PM

They would expand them by one team, still nowhere even close to NHL and NBA and still less than the NFL. My god, lets not go overboard on the reaction here.

Tennessee Mav
10-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Nashville and Oklahoma City need 2 teams, so add 2 teams to the American league. Make 4 4 team divisions, just like the NFL. The winner of each division are the 1-4 seeds, then add 2 wildcards, just like the NFL. I think the NFL has the perfect setup of playoffs. Baseball is not enough teams, and NBA and NHL have too many teams. Maybe start the season 1 1/2-2 weeks earlier. So the 3rd or 4th week of March. That way you would still have the playoffs ending the same time as you do now.

misterd
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Hell, I'm not even in favor of "punishing" Wild Card (I never have been, its not just because the Yanks are the WC team) since the WC is often a better team than one or two of the division winners.

North Yorker
10-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Nashville and Oklahoma City need 2 teams, so add 2 teams to the American league. Make 4 4 team divisions, just like the NFL. The winner of each division are the 1-4 seeds, then add 2 wildcards, just like the NFL. I think the NFL has the perfect setup of playoffs. Baseball is not enough teams, and NBA and NHL have too many teams. Maybe start the season 1 1/2-2 weeks earlier. So the 3rd or 4th week of March. That way you would still have the playoffs ending the same time as you do now.

Yea, that would be the best scenario imo. Unfortunately, I doubt that baseball is looking to expand to 32.

Jeffy25
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
They feel like they take two months, because they do take 2 months!

LA's first game verse OKC was 4/18. Their last game was 6/17 vs. Boston.

Way too long. Baseball as it right.

haha, damn, thank you

Jeffy25
10-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I would love this if they would add all the teams 1-16 in NL and 1-14 in AL!!!But only 1 game determines the result!! SO something like this would be funn
FOR THE NL
1 VS 16
2 VS 15
3 VS 14
4 VS 13
5 VS 12
6 VS 11
7 VS 10
8 VS 9

For the AL
1 VS 14
2 VS 13
3 Vs 12
4 VS 11
5 VS 10
6 VS 9
7 VS 8

so, the point of the regular season is?

hoggin88
10-13-2010, 02:30 PM
so, the point of the regular season is?

To get a better seed, duh. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping he was kidding. I'm pretty sure he was.

isuk
10-13-2010, 02:35 PM

I wonder what your thoughts on a salary cap are?:eyebrow: It's easy to say when you're a yankee fan. I am a giants fan though

misterd
10-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I wonder what your thoughts on a salary cap are?:eyebrow: It's easy to say when you're a yankee fan. I am a giants fan though

Not as easy to say when you were a Yankee fan growing up in the 80s and early 90s. ;)

I agree that there are some fans that are desperate to get a chance to win, but I don't see many teams that have made an honest effort to compete fail to reach the post season in the WC era.

Now I will agree that there are imbalances in the regular season that allows some teams to make the post season more often than others, but I don't believe the solution to that is to water down the post season even more.

And no, I'm not fond of a salary cap, but that's not because I'm a Yankees fan - it's because I'm a capitalist.

Rivera
10-13-2010, 03:05 PM
lol this is the great larry luchhino at work cryin that our sox didnt make the playoffs despite are record

i think its an achievement to make the post season n baseball more than any other sport and they need to keep the few things that make baseball prestigious the same

like for instance

replay - they do not want to expand it but it needs to be

playoffs - they want to expand the playoffs when its not necessary it already take abt 6 to 7 months to finish a baseball season n thatss already long enough

avrpatsfan
10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
It would make it less ****** to be a part of the AL East. More playoff baseball? **** yes.

theslick1
10-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Although I think the current system works fine, a way to introduce a 2nd wild card team into the mix would be to force the two wild card winners in each league to play each other in a 3-game series at the home of the team with the best record. That rewards the best record wild card team with home field advantage and penalizes both wild card teams by making them play one additional series. The Japanese leagues currently use this kind of playoff system.

misterd
10-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Although I think the current system works fine, a way to introduce a 2nd wild card team into the mix would be to force the two wild card winners in each league to play each other in a 3-game series at the home of the team with the best record. That rewards the best record wild card team with home field advantage and penalizes both wild card teams by making them play one additional series. The Japanese leagues currently use this kind of playoff system.

Sorry, there are too many years where the wild card team has played better than one or two of the division winners. I also would rather stretch the DS to 7 games than waste another week on a needless exhibition.

gfixer33
10-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Probabaly because red sox didn't make playoffs.now they want rule changes.make it in 4 playoff spots in each league or don't make it at all.if you work you can't catch half of the games now.they have to show them on tnt and every time a big pitch comes up they go to commercial by accident.thanks for letting me vent.lol

Lincecum4CY
10-13-2010, 08:26 PM
this would be a stupid move thats 1/3rd of the teams in baseball you want teams that win 85 games during the year making the playoffs going against teams that won 90-100? it takes away some of the competitiveness.. get selig out before he ****s up the game.

jerseybostonian
10-13-2010, 11:27 PM
It would make it less ****** to be a part of the AL East. More playoff baseball? **** yes.

Dude, we all have to get over that the Red Sox didn't make it. Even if they just accepted the best four records, the same teams would have made it.

But that brings up an interesting question: Should they just accept the best four records?

NYYCowboys
10-13-2010, 11:54 PM
I think it would be pretty cool if they added one more team from each league making the playoffs. So the team 1st and 2nd in the wild card in each league would play a one game playoff to see who advanced to take on the #1 seeded team. It would make winning your division even more important because you'd probably have to throw your ace in that one game playoff, and then your rotation for the series against the #1 seed would be screwed up. So for example the Yankees and Red Sox finished in 1st and 2nd place for the Wild Card respectively in the AL, so imagine a one game playoff at Yankee Stadium, Sabathia vs. Lester. So if the Yanks would have won the one game playoff they would have had to throw Pettitte game 1 Hughes game 2 and Sabathia game 3. This means Sabathia would only get to pitch one time against the Twins which is advantageous towards them since they won their division and the Yanks didn't.

javac0la
10-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Definitely would support this idea...the reason hockey has the best playoffs is because there are always fringe teams that squeak in and make noise. In baseball you've got the same stories year after year.

IBleedPurple
10-14-2010, 12:50 AM
I'd say expand or get a cap. Phils nearly every season the last couple, and the Yankees almost every year is getting old.

Save Mattingly
10-14-2010, 01:12 AM
This why I never wanted the wildcard to begin with. Its never enough, limit to 4 teams and the 5th best whines they deserve a shot. But once you let in 6, #7 cry's. Hell look at college hoops, there are some arguing for 128 teams, I guess losing the 64th seed play in game is a joy we need to spread to 63 more universities.

Professional sports are becomming more and more like the special olympics. Just give everyone a prize and cancel the playoffs so no one is left out, loses or has their feelings hurt. God knows these millionaires just can't handle the agony of being dealt such a lousy hand in the game of life.

koreancabbage
10-14-2010, 02:55 AM
should let in other teams just b/c it's a best out of 5 series anyways in the first round. It'll be amazing seeing fringe teams that never get in, get in. It'll help with the revenue stream as well as merchandise.

of course i agree with cutting the season shorter, which is always way too long.

javac0la
10-14-2010, 03:01 AM
This why I never wanted the wildcard to begin with. Its never enough, limit to 4 teams and the 5th best whines they deserve a shot. But once you let in 6, #7 cry's. Hell look at college hoops, there are some arguing for 128 teams, I guess losing the 64th seed play in game is a joy we need to spread to 63 more universities.

Professional sports are becomming more and more like the special olympics. Just give everyone a prize and cancel the playoffs so no one is left out, loses or has their feelings hurt. God knows these millionaires just can't handle the agony of being dealt such a lousy hand in the game of life.

What the hell? Who said anything about the players' feelings? This is about fan entertainment. Sorry but even as a Phillies fan I'd like to see some new teams be able to squeak in and not have 70% of the league out of it by May. And the guy above me made another great point about revenue. Playoff games are going to generate some decent money even with a so-so fanbase, which in turn allows more competitive balance. It's a great idea all around.

Save Mattingly
10-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Lowering standards doesn't improve competative balance. It just cheapens what the playoffs stand for. Letting pittsburgh in doesn't really give them a chance, but it will be one lousy series.

I thought we learned this through affirmative action. When you lower standards everyone loses.

And again where does it stop? Everyone was happy with one wildcard.......for a few years.

ccugrad1
10-14-2010, 09:53 AM
I like the baseball playoffs as it is now and I think just making the playoffs constitutes a successful season based on the 162 game schedule and only 4 teams from each league making it.

In hockey and basketball, if you DON'T make the playoffs, when you consider how many teams get there, you just flat out suck!

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry shouldn't be making the playoffs.

ChetSteadman
10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
no more wild card teams. Just make the divisional series best of 7

thefeckcampaign
10-14-2010, 10:50 AM
I think it makes the value of winning the division higher. I hate to say it because I hate the WC to begin with, but if you are going to have it this is better than what they currently have.

RapsPlayoffPush
10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
yes to playoff expansion

jerseybostonian
10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Lowering standards doesn't improve competative balance. It just cheapens what the playoffs stand for. Letting pittsburgh in doesn't really give them a chance, but it will be one lousy series.

I thought we learned this through affirmative action. When you lower standards everyone loses.

And again where does it stop? Everyone was happy with one wildcard.......for a few years.

Let me bring up my idea from earlier on the page. Would you be opposed to making the playoffs solely for the teams with the four best records in each league?

Dmac
10-14-2010, 01:39 PM

It's not cheapening anything. It is actually making winning the division that much more important and giving more of a disadvantage to the wild card team. I don't like the idea of adding more playoff teams, but adding one team per league with a one game playoff actually makes sense.

I'm sure the Yankees would have tried alot harder the last few games of the season this year to try and win the division if this was in place this season. Otherwise they would have to use Sabathia in the wild card game instead of saving him for game one against the Twins. If that was to happen, who knows? Maybe the entire Twins series would have turned out totally different.

This proposal will make it a littler harder for wild card teams, and generate more revenue and fan interest. Game 163 is one of the most exciting things in baseball, and you would be getting that every year with a wild card game. Like I said, I hated the fact of adding more teams, but if this is how they do it, I think it is a great idea and makes alot of sense.

the_jon
10-14-2010, 02:01 PM
As a Jays fan, I'd rather see it stay the way it is. It would be way less satisfying to watch the Jays make the playoffs after all these years only because of the expansion. When we make the postseason, it has to be legit.

Definitely in favor of increasing the LDS to 7 games though.

javac0la
10-14-2010, 08:03 PM

So then let's just turn March Madness into 1 game against the top 2 teams in the country. No point in playing the tournament right? Upsets never ever happen.

Save Mattingly
10-14-2010, 09:08 PM
So then let's just turn March Madness into 1 game against the top 2 teams in the country. No point in playing the tournament right? Upsets never ever happen.

Considering no one from the bottom 32 teams has EVER won the tournament, expansion of it is just foolish.

I'm only saying that no matter how many teams are involved in a playoff system, people will argue for more. It just never stops.

Save Mattingly
10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Let me bring up my idea from earlier on the page. Would you be opposed to making the playoffs solely for the teams with the four best records in each league?
I would be more inclined to support the idea of aligning into 4 divisions and just having the winners in the playoffs.

4 best records doesn't do much more than the current system for me, 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I just absolutely don't want anymore teams in the playoffs.

theslick1
10-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Right now, making the playoffs in baseball means your team is one of the best. In the NHL and NBA, making the playoffs means you're not one of the worst. I don't want to see baseball get to that point.