PDA

View Full Version : MLB Players "On Loan" for Postseason Play

LeBitteNoir
10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Watching the post season got me thinking about an inefficiency present in baseball as it is currently configured.

- 8 teams make the playoffs every season.
- As every team has a 25-man roster, only 200 players get to play on a playoff team.
- 22 teams are shut out of the playoffs.
- Assuming 25-man rosters, more than 500 players are left to go fishing or watch games from their couch.
- Many of these players are all-stars, if not superstars. Many others are pieces many of the playoff teams could use to either solidify their bullpen or provide an extra bat off the bench.

Why not allow playoff teams to "rent" players from non-playoff teams? We could configure it so that each team could protect a certain number of superstars while allowing the rest to be bid on by the playoff teams. If the owning team agrees to place their chosen player(s) on loan, we could either set a rule that he could be award to the highest bidder or raffled between the teams that bid over a set price (price would be blind. No other team would know what other teams bid). We could also limit every playoff team to 1 or 2 rentals.

After the playoffs, the players on loan would return to their "home" teams.

What do you guys think?

10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
It would make MLB a joke and a circus. Would anyone take the sport seriously anymore?

Bronzbomba
10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
lol...no.

2009mvp
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
:laugh2:

we could either set a rule that he could be award to the highest bidder

Brilliant. Just in case the payroll advantages weren't enough in the regular season, let's create a system that helps big market teams in the playoffs as well.

tbone2171
10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Dumbest idea I've ever heard

t327
10-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm going to respectfully say no to this idea.

vict1019
10-12-2010, 10:55 PM
lol

Kings Analyst
10-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Dumbest idea I've ever heard

Sums up my thoughts.

LeBitteNoir
10-12-2010, 11:01 PM
:laugh2:

Brilliant. Just in case the payroll advantages weren't enough in the regular season, let's create a system that helps big market teams in the playoffs as well.

Come on, man, place things in the appropriate context.

Highest bidder . . .
. . . or raffled between the teams that bid over a set price (price would be blind. No other team would know what other teams bid). We could also limit every playoff team to 1 or 2 rentals.

Havoc Wreaker
10-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Watching the post season got me thinking about an inefficiency present in baseball as it is currently configured.

- As every team has a 25-man roster, only 200 players get to play on a playoff team.
- Assuming 25-man rosters, more than 500 players are left to go fishing or watch games from their couch.
- Many of these players are all-stars, if not superstars. Many others are pieces many of the playoff teams could use to either solidify their bullpen or provide an extra bat off the bench.

Why not allow playoff teams to "rent" players from non-playoff teams? We could configure it so that each team could protect a certain number of superstars while allowing the rest to be bid on by the playoff teams. If the owning team agrees to place their chosen player(s) on loan, we could either set a rule that he could be award to the highest bidder or raffled between the teams that bid over a set price (price would be blind. No other team would know what other teams bid). We could also limit every playoff team to 1 or 2 rentals.

What do you guys think?

You, my friend, need to stop doing that. :pity:

10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Come on, man, place things in the appropriate context.

Highest bidder . . .
. . . or raffled between the teams that bid over a set price (price would be blind. No other team would know what other teams bid). We could also limit every playoff team to 1 or 2 rentals.

Who cares if he took it out of context. The whole concept is ridiculous, there is nothing you can say to make it sound good.

hugh1130
10-12-2010, 11:03 PM
i love this idea

ill get to see the yankees win 50 world championships in my life time!

B-Ray
10-12-2010, 11:04 PM
This would be such a big distraction in the weeks coming up to the playoffs

lincecum=future
10-12-2010, 11:05 PM
do you like nascar?

el_primo_nano
10-12-2010, 11:10 PM

What do you guys think?

i'm not gonna lie i have thought about this alot, fantasized about this:D, but it would never happen. lol. why? i used\ the 2007 Yanlees as a prime example. The players who took the team to the playoffs that year were bench warmers such as Gradner and Melky if I am not wrong. What happened come the playoffs? The "greatest lineup ever" occured and players that were part of the team for most of the year had to sit in the bench for guys like Sheffield who started at 1st base :facepalm: My point is, the TEAM is in the playoffs, and bringing in outsiders would break up that fraternity that most teams have. so while that may not be the main reason as to why the MLB wouldnt do it, it could be one reason as to why i wouldnt work.. I could fantasize though, imagine Pujols batting behind A-Rod rite now :D

ThisIsTheYear
10-12-2010, 11:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOxY_nHdew

xabial
10-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Watch Soccer. Loaning= Epic Fail Whats the point of Trades then, if you can just Loan a great player?

I like that your thinking but its a stupid idea. No matter how you try to spin it off, this will KILL/Downgrade trades in MLB. Mark my words.

CHRISDODGERS
10-12-2010, 11:19 PM
nope.

dfritz03
10-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Well I'm not going to sit here and trash you for your thoughts but I don't think this is a good idea. Loaning players would honestly ruin the integrity of the game and would just benefit the big markets teams even more than the system in place does now. The whole point is to build a team that can contend in the postseason and win a title, putting players on postseason teams would throw off the competitive balance.

sfg554828
10-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Hahahahahaha.
That being said, I admire your use of the first amendment.

misterd
10-12-2010, 11:34 PM
I like how you say players are "shut out" of the post season, like its their birthright or something. The game outside the game has its flaws right now, but not having enough teams in the postseason isn't one of them.

LeBitteNoir
10-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Well, to be fair, I wasn't thinking of loaning players like Pujols, Hanley, etc. I was thinking of loaning set-up men, lefty utility bats, etc. That's why I mentioned of a team being able to "protect" its superstars from being lent by refusing to allow teams to bid for them. The risk of injury is probably too high for teams to be willing to loan their stars.

I think a problem with the trade deadline is that sometimes trades simply don't get done, either because the team with the player in question feels fine holding out for draft picks or because the teams can't come to an agreement of players to come back, or because time runs out, etc. Trades require more time to get done because they are deals that you can't take back after you make them. When you loan a player you would literally have him back weeks later. This would be a player for cash swap for a temporary period. I think it helps fill the gap between failed trades and needs to supplement teams with an extra arm or bat.

LeBitteNoir
10-12-2010, 11:39 PM
I like how you say players are "shut out" of the post season, like its their birthright or something.

My argument does not stem from birthrights and other bull like that. I think adding better players to playoff rosters would make the game more fun to watch from a fan's perspective.

stupidmop
10-13-2010, 12:14 AM

What do you guys think?

Instead of just being an jerk and dismissing you, I'm going to explain why I don't think it is a good idea.

Championships would be meaningless. The team that won the World Series would be just an amalgamation of guys who never played on the team during the regular season to even get to the playoffs in the first place. Yes, in-season trades occur, but there is an (ableit somewhat soft) deadline.

I really want my Giants to go deep this year. I've ben living and dying with them over the course of this entire season. Pujols, awesome as he is, is not a Giant. If my team somehow managed to win the World Series (after 56 freaking years), I want to see Sandoval, Huff, Lincecum, Posey, and all the others who scraped and fought throughout the year celebrating on the field. Not someone who wore another uniform the ENTIRE season with another team.

Jeffy25
10-13-2010, 12:15 AM
It would make MLB a joke and a circus. Would anyone take the sport seriously anymore?

This.

Sorry, love hearing new ideas, but it would be a joke.....which team would get Pujols? What if Pujols got hurt? and what would David Ortiz think about Pujols taking his spot?

No, sorry, awful.

richiesaurus310
10-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Lol this is really dumb, but baseball needs to do something to its playoff so more teams can get in. Also a salary cap and floor need to be put in.

LeBitteNoir
10-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Again guys, this wouldn't involve Pujols or Ortiz or Hanley. It would involve second tier guys. Teams would not loan their stars. The risk of injury would be too high.

iggypop123
10-13-2010, 01:11 AM
if the OP is suddenly banned i wouldn't complain

ChaseTheMVP
10-13-2010, 01:33 AM
This might be the dumbest thread I've ever seen, on any internet forum.

Pittz
10-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Very ridiculous lol. I think I'm going to save it, it's so funny.

Whoever posted the Billy Madison scene, clutch.

CAIN=FUTURE
10-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Wow.

bringbackfredex
10-13-2010, 02:10 AM

This.

Professional baseball isn't fantasy baseball, you're basically just making every team in the playoffs better than they already are. Words cannot even describe how dumb of an idea this is.

While were at it, lets try this great new system in the NFL too. Shotty Patrick Willis and Adrian Peterson if the Eagles make the playoffs.

srchmaster
10-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Let's play 162 games and win the division only for some superstars to take over your spot when the playoffs start.

SFGiants4life
10-13-2010, 03:13 AM
ummmmmmmmmmm not a chance in hell, i would quit watching baseball all together

jbeezy
10-13-2010, 01:56 PM
No offense but this is the stupidest idea I have ever heard.

VenezuelanMet
10-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Lol no, they do it in Winter Baseball and it's a joke.
Last year, the star player of my team was chosen by our biggest rival, he would be the MVP of the finals in their uniform, I'm still pissed!

Could you imagine David Wright being "chosen" by the Phillies and then winning the WS MVP? Yeah... excuse me while I go puke.

sep11ie
10-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Wow, just wow.

ManningToTyree
10-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

utahjazzno12fan
10-13-2010, 02:18 PM
8 New York Yankees teams? LOL... No thanks.

It is a joke, btw. I know the Yankees are legit, but I am comparing them to just buying players. It is a joke.

utahjazzno12fan
10-13-2010, 02:21 PM
We could just do an All Star team tournament, haha...

More-Than-Most
10-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Phillies rent King Felix and Fat Albert for the world series

Halladay/Felix/Oswalt/Hamels

Rollins
Polanco
Utley
Fat Albert
Howard
Werth
Ibanez
Victorino
Ruiz

I just wet myself.

Fred
10-13-2010, 02:51 PM
uhhhh, no, just no....would STL put Albert up for auction? What happens if he suffers a career-ending injury? you would see everyone (yes, everyone) that lives in StLouis jump from the arch....

....ideas are good, just think before you send them to make sure that they are valid...

Joe88
10-13-2010, 02:54 PM
did you even read what you typed?

hugepatsfan
10-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Greatest. Thread. Ever. lol

Rivera
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM
i would call ur thread dumb or i would call u an idiot for making this type of idea but im one infraction away from a ban and i still have an active infraction for a month so ima refrain myself from doing that

:D

but y dont they do this for all sports??

how do the other players feel that were on the team the whole season to be benched because of a "loaned player" it wouldnt be fair to them

^^ ok theirs an acceptable mod response :D

and no mods i am not baiting you guys i just got to get my thoughts 2gether b4 i get banned again :D

rkelly7
10-13-2010, 05:32 PM

What do you guys think?

No no no, horrible idea, there already is "Renting" it's just called trading, and it is permanent, Mariners rented Cliff Lee for Justin Smoak and others, why would you want this btw? Make zero sense

skymin5
10-14-2010, 01:49 AM
We could eliminate the playoffs and have an end of season All-star game!

baseballguy247
10-14-2010, 01:54 PM
aaahhh Not a good idea:confused:

DodgerB24
10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Did your mom drop you on your head as a child?

Twins Fan 7
10-14-2010, 03:11 PM
That would be a joke. It would only ruin baseball to a further degree.

But I wouldn't mind loaning players to the minor leagues for rehab purposes. For example, before Morneau got shut down at the end of September, he was looking for at-bats. Problem is: the Twins minor league teams were awful this year and they were all done in the first week of Sept., leaving him only the instructional league. Just because meaningless minor league teams suck, shouldn't mean a player can't rehab and face live pitchers who are older than 18. It'd boost attendance in minor league parks and it'd help the rehabbing player.

DieHardColtsfan
10-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm at a loss of words at the moment.

NYKNYGNYY
10-14-2010, 03:44 PM
this is the stupidest thread ive ever read in my life, 4 pages telling you so...

NYKNYGNYY
10-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Did your mom drop you on your head as a child?

little bit harsh :laugh2:

NYKNYGNYY
10-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Again guys, this wouldn't involve Pujols or Ortiz or Hanley. It would involve second tier guys. Teams would not loan their stars. The risk of injury would be too high.

:facepalm: u were talking about adding superstars to rosters, but not some of the best players in the game, this does not make any sense what so ever

NYKNYGNYY
10-14-2010, 03:52 PM

:clap: great movie!

Super.
10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

(Mines better and in HD :D)

mavwar53
10-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Stupid

MattColby
10-14-2010, 07:39 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going.

joefx21
10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Somebody should run this idea by Mat Latos.

yankeesown69
10-14-2010, 08:01 PM
This is awful.

metfan4life775
10-14-2010, 08:09 PM
stupidest thing i ever heard

javac0la
10-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Sorry to keep beating a dead horse here but this is by far the worst idea I've ever heard.

Skippy15
10-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Seriously?

LAcowBOMBER
10-14-2010, 08:44 PM
I didn't read all the posts, but did anyone other than the OP think this was a good idea?

sixer04fan
10-14-2010, 08:54 PM
wow... go home.

D-Will4Prez
10-14-2010, 09:16 PM
I have an idea, lets just kick every small market team out of the MLB. Phils/Yanks WS every year anyone?

LeBitteNoir
10-15-2010, 04:04 AM
And Galileo has the entire f-ing Catholic Church calling for his head. The more we change, the more we stay the same.

Gigantes4Life
10-15-2010, 04:44 AM
Instead of the playoffs, we should have a tea party with the best 8 teams in baseball involved. There will be cake too.

hans dolo
10-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Instead of the playoffs, we should have a tea party with the best 8 teams in baseball involved. There will be cake too.

ummm tea and cake? can you include that fans can come eat up some yummy cakey wakey with the teams?? .... YAY great idea.

avrpatsfan
10-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Worst thread in a while.

1908_Cubs
10-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Best idea we've ever read. I have a feeling if this were ever presented to the GM and the Owners that not only would they jump at the idea but it'd be enacted by next playoffs.

This will revolutionize the game! I'm really mind ****ed trying to think that before this, no one had ever thought of this. I'm all for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....By the way, to all of you idiots out there. This post is brought to you by sarcasm. Sarcasm: making the world go around and around.

DieHardColtsfan
10-15-2010, 09:07 AM
This may be the worst thread ever, but it surely is picking up steam...

sox_fan_35_2000
10-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Lol

Sabresfan63
10-15-2010, 09:42 AM
How bout the mlb instead of bargaining for them make it a silent auction! Just plastic wrap each player put some gifties in a basket with them maybe some bed bath and beyond or some excess of popcorn something nice. And then each skipper and owner can buy tickets and see who's the luckiest!!

That seems straight legitt.

Wait! Anddd JOSE CANCSECO will host the auction!

Sabresfan63
10-15-2010, 09:43 AM
No but really my friend don't smoke a jeffery before posting something.