PDA

View Full Version : Are European teams/players underrated?

dnewguy
10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
What are your thoughts about European teams, they've have been putting up a real fight against our best teams/stars in the recent years. The Euro champs beat the Lakers not long ago and another European team is putting up a good fight against the Heat.

Question: Are European teams/players underrated?

ugafan
10-12-2010, 08:24 PM
No, they're just unknown entities. You could get the next Dirk or the next Darko.

DoJoTheSlasher
10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah, Dirk is underrated and he is the best PF in the game.

xxcubs22xx
10-12-2010, 09:12 PM
No, they're just unknown entities. You could get the next Dirk or the next Darko.

precisely.

for what its worth, nobody here knows a thing about European teams/players.

Thats just in general terms, without necessarily referring to this website.

NYKalltheway
10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Europeans even underrate their own teams.

The case with Americans and European teams is that Americans don't know any teams/players in Europe (generally speaking) so they assume that they're not good at all.

Examples:
Papaloukas from 2004 till 2008 was one of the best assistmen in Europe and was highly efficient in defense and scoring as well. He was tried by the Lakers, and got an invite but refused as he didn't wanna leave Europe (he was playing for Russian giants CSKA back then)
Diamantidis, the only player to have won defensive player of the year, which started from 2005 till today, says the NBA does not interest him as he plays for the best team in Greece and one of the best in Europe. This guy blocked Tim Duncan, made a fool out of Lebron and hit a 3 on him and also blocked him in the same game. And this guy is a point guard.

Then we have Ricky Rubio. Overhyped just because he was set on the scene at the age of 17 and did some fancy moves against Jason Kidd and the American team in 2008. The guy is very talented, but he's still a kid. His passing ability is great, but that's about it. He is good in defending, only improving, but other than a fancy lay up, he doesn't have other scoring tricks. Was not even a Top 30 player in Europe when he entered the NBA draft... Now he probably is a Top 15 player (taking all positions into account) Maybe not even Top 15 (Crooner might kill me but I can actually list 15 better players :D)

SteveNash
10-12-2010, 09:49 PM
No, they're overrated. Exhibition games don't mean much at all.

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 10:37 PM
precisely.

For what its worth, nobody here knows a thing about european teams/players.

Thats just in general terms, without necessarily referring to this website.

hi

lakers4sho
10-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Exposure can be a double edged sword though. If they start televising European games here and interest picks up, Nike will surely take advantage and eventually turn European basketball into the 1-on-1 style that has developed in the United States.

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Exposure can be a double edged sword though. If they start televising European games here and interest picks up, Nike will surely take advantage and eventually turn European basketball into the 1-on-1 style that has developed in the United States.

they are already doing that, chinging the rules to mimic more the nba, wich is stupid Imo, because that rules work for Atlheltic dudes and isolation plays whiel fiba is bout unathletic dudes with fundamentals and team play.

bigsams50
10-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Definitely Underrated

NYKalltheway
10-13-2010, 07:51 AM
they are already doing that, chinging the rules to mimic more the nba, wich is stupid Imo, because that rules work for Atlheltic dudes and isolation plays whiel fiba is bout unathletic dudes with fundamentals and team play.

yeah that those rule changes. We'll have to wait and see how they are, then we can complain and force them to change them again :p

I was also gonna reply to the comment that they are overrated :facepalm: but then I realized who posted it so I won't bother :p

TheGoodGerman
10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Teams are not underrated imo. Players are. I'm from Germany, and the german league gets up a bit by now. But, we have tons of american players. So, euro-talent, or especially, german-talent always gets players from other countrys taking their minutes. Games don't have that many minutes like in the NBA and we don't play that much games a year. But, rules get fixed up. Moved 3pt-Line to NBA distance this year f.e. Boumtje-Boumtje was a bust in the NBA and was like "average" here in our league, maybe,that's helpful to see where we are. Dan Dickau was above average ... f.e.

My hometeam plays in the best league of germany, and we got some nice college-guys and good, young american talent, which is fun to watch. Like Quentin Pryor. But, our talents stack behind them. Though, people come to see good ball, and thats what those guys do.

In the past some players took the jump to the NBA like Keith Jennings to Golden State back in the 90's. Or our few german guys, like Dirk or Schrempf (Blab and Welp, too).

footballer2369
10-13-2010, 09:33 AM
It's a few stars, a few future stars and a bunch of players who aren't athletic or talented enough to make it in the NBA...

It's somewhere between the D League and the NBA...

It's better than currently rated by average fans, because they fail to realize the fundamental soundness and the few Euro stars who want to stay in Europe...

There are a lot of Andre Miller types overseas...

NYKalltheway
10-13-2010, 09:40 AM
There are many American players that would have a place in an NBA roster but prefer better roles, contending for trophies, getting better pay while at it! The NBA has a weird setup really which is not player-friendly imo, unlike European setup where players enjoy lots of freedom in terms of contracts and specially the place they sign to play to remains the same unless a buy out clause is met and a new deal(better contract) is signed with the new team... That plays an important role in players' decisions to move/stay here. There are some players who just don't care and want to make the step further, others would not want to go to a certain team/city and wait till they get released/traded elsewhere... Others just don't wanna enter that procedure.

There are lots of late bloomers of course, that's visible everywhere, and usually American late bloomers don't return to the NBA (Anthony Parker is one of a few who have done that)

I will not be surprised if many will start following Jennings' path, but that will kinda kill the domestic players in the long run imo... and not everyone can afford luxury college kids that want to spend one year overseas!

mikantsass
10-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Do people understand that NBA players dont care about meaningless preseason games?

There are two NBA players right now who are from Europe that are top players at their position.... TWO! (Gasol and Dirk) So yes, they are overrated.

DaBUU
10-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Europeans even underrate their own teams.

The case with Americans and European teams is that Americans don't know any teams/players in Europe (generally speaking) so they assume that they're not good at all.

Examples:
Papaloukas from 2004 till 2008 was one of the best assistmen in Europe and was highly efficient in defense and scoring as well. He was tried by the Lakers, and got an invite but refused as he didn't wanna leave Europe (he was playing for Russian giants CSKA back then)Diamantidis, the only player to have won defensive player of the year, which started from 2005 till today, says the NBA does not interest him as he plays for the best team in Greece and one of the best in Europe. This guy blocked Tim Duncan, made a fool out of Lebron and hit a 3 on him and also blocked him in the same game. And this guy is a point guard.

Then we have Ricky Rubio. Overhyped just because he was set on the scene at the age of 17 and did some fancy moves against Jason Kidd and the American team in 2008. The guy is very talented, but he's still a kid. His passing ability is great, but that's about it. He is good in defending, only improving, but other than a fancy lay up, he doesn't have other scoring tricks. Was not even a Top 30 player in Europe when he entered the NBA draft... Now he probably is a Top 15 player (taking all positions into account) Maybe not even Top 15 (Crooner might kill me but I can actually list 15 better players :D)

c'mon lets not lie to ourselves, he probably knew he'd be glued to the bench on the Lakers.

lakers4sho
10-13-2010, 12:27 PM
c'mon lets not lie to ourselves, he probably knew he'd be glued to the bench on the Lakers.

Actually, he would've been better than any of the backup point guards we've had back then.

Rivera
10-13-2010, 12:41 PM
i think the players themselves...most are overrated

but their teams are excellent i love the way how they pass n move the ball on offense

NYKalltheway
10-13-2010, 01:56 PM
i think the players themselves...most are overrated

but their teams are excellent i love the way how they pass n move the ball on offense

You can't do that with average players ;)

Everyone tries, only the best prevail (most of the time)

Basketball is way too tactical here, the way I like it. Make it impossible for the opponent to score a basket (compared to new NBA which is allow the player who's on the drive to just score :eyebrow: )

Can I test you a bit? For overrated/underrated...

Fran Vazquez
Erazem Lorbek
Matiasz Smodis
Kostas Tsartsaris
Dimitris Diamantidis
Milos Teodosic
Viktor Khryapa
Sergio Lull
Aleks Maric
Andrei Vorontsevich
Gasper Vidmar
Drew Nicholas
Terell McIntyre

Overrated or underrated?

Then we'll go see how Tiago Splitter, Luis Scola, Nikola Pekovic and Timo Mozgov were rated 1-2 years before they went to the NBA...

You can't say players are overrated. Only 2 overrated player in Europe I can think of are Ricky Rubio and Milos Teodosic.

First is because all you NBA fans learned about him at the age of 17 and lots of the American NBA fans consider him the second coming of Jesus while in fact he's a great passer and that's about it.
Second is because he's considered (and is) quite better than Rubio so the hype applies to him as well, at least over here.

alencp3
10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Ilyasova is the most underated player in the world

Rivera
10-13-2010, 03:40 PM
You can't do that with average players ;)

Everyone tries, only the best prevail (most of the time)

Basketball is way too tactical here, the way I like it. Make it impossible for the opponent to score a basket (compared to new NBA which is allow the player who's on the drive to just score :eyebrow: )

Can I test you a bit? For overrated/underrated...

Fran Vazquez
Erazem Lorbek
Matiasz Smodis
Kostas Tsartsaris
Dimitris Diamantidis
Milos Teodosic
Viktor Khryapa
Sergio Lull
Aleks Maric
Andrei Vorontsevich
Gasper Vidmar
Drew Nicholas
Terell McIntyre

Overrated or underrated?

Then we'll go see how Tiago Splitter, Luis Scola, Nikola Pekovic and Timo Mozgov were rated 1-2 years before they went to the NBA...

You can't say players are overrated. Only 2 overrated player in Europe I can think of are Ricky Rubio and Milos Teodosic.

First is because all you NBA fans learned about him at the age of 17 and lots of the American NBA fans consider him the second coming of Jesus while in fact he's a great passer and that's about it.
Second is because he's considered (and is) quite better than Rubio so the hype applies to him as well, at least over here.

just because i like u and ur in the Re Draft ima try this list and maybe make myself look like a fool

Fran Vazquez - underrated i like what ive seen from him on barcelona and world championsihps but if u say overrated i would understand y u would say that
Erazem Lorbek - underrated
Matiasz Smodis - overrated
Kostas Tsartsaris - overrated
Dimitris Diamantidis - underrated
Milos Teodosic - underrated
Viktor Khryapa - overrated
Sergio Lull - underrated
Aleks Maric - over rated
Andrei Vorontsevich - underrated
Gasper Vidmar - underrated
Drew Nicholas - overrated
Terell McIntyre - overrated

well hey i tried? :D

NYKalltheway
10-13-2010, 05:43 PM
You got 9 right I guess :p And that's not 8 coz Smodis' knee has deteriorated his condition. 2-3 years ago he was a Top 5 player in Europe and I am not sure if he was involved in NBA draft

SteveNash
10-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Actually, he would've been better than any of the backup point guards we've had back then.

Smush was a better PG than any Euro PG, not that Papaloukas could play PG in the NBA. Or any position really.

NYKalltheway
10-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Smush was a better PG than any Euro PG, not that Papaloukas could play PG in the NBA. Or any position really.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

SteveNash
10-13-2010, 06:09 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Who is better? Spanoulis?

NYKalltheway
10-13-2010, 06:14 PM
If Spanoulis was a PG, maybe....

Hellcrooner
10-14-2010, 03:35 AM
If Spanoulis was a PG, maybe....

dont waste your time :eyebrow:

ink
10-14-2010, 03:45 AM
What are your thoughts about European teams, they've have been putting up a real fight against our best teams/stars in the recent years. The Euro champs beat the Lakers not long ago and another European team is putting up a good fight against the Heat.

Question: Are European teams/players underrated?

Definitely under-rated and disrespected. The problem is often fit in the NBA with non-Euro players and coaches who don't play the game the same way.

abe_froman
10-14-2010, 03:56 AM
i dunno,i guess neither/both?

i feel we are at a crossroads in perception about that and the momentum of belief/acceptance/ect of euro players and teams have come on in recent recent years.to were you'll get other overrating and underrating just as you would of us teams/players/prospects

Wade>You
10-14-2010, 04:38 AM
Clearly the basketball programs outside the USA has made huge leaps since the original Dream Team was coasting through the Olympics.