PDA

View Full Version : Messier to coach for Hockey Canada

letsgorangers27
10-12-2010, 04:55 PM
0Share
NHL Hall of Famer Mark Messier will go behind the bench for the first time when he coaches Canada's teams at the 2010 Deutschland Cup and 2010 Spengler Cup.

Messier, a special assistant to the president of the New York Rangers, was GM of Canada's team at the 2010 World Championship.

"I am excited for this opportunity to coach Canada on the world stage," Messier said. "I have always taken pride in representing Canada at an international level as a player, and look forward to the challenges in front of us at the Deutschland Cup and Spengler Cup."

"Hockey Canada is thrilled that Mark Messier has agreed to step behind the bench," said Brad Pascall, vice-president of hockey operations/national teams for Hockey Canada. "With his tremendous hockey background and his leadership skills, we feel that Mark will be a great coach as we strive to continue Canada's winning tradition."

Messier's assistant coaches will be Rich Chernomaz, who coaches professionally in Germany, and Doug Shedden, who coaches in Switzerland. Both are former NHL players.

The Deutschland Cup will be held in Munich, Germany, from Nov. 12-14. Canada won the gold medal at its last appearance at the tournament, in 2008. Joining Canada at the event will be national teams from Germany, Switzerland and Slovakia.

The Spengler Cup will be held Dec. 26-31 in Davos, Switzerland, and feature five other European teams -- HC Davos (Swiss National League), SKA St. Petersburg (KHL), Spartak Moscow (KHL), Sparta Prague (Czech Elite League) and Servette Geneva (Swiss National League).
NHL (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=540346)

congrats mess!! always thought he'd make a better coach than gm. hes a guy who players respect and his intensity and passion would be good behind the bench. i'd like him to be behind our bench when he's ready

Bleeds MSG
10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
congrats mess!! always thought he'd make a better coach than gm. hes a guy who players respect and his intensity and passion would be good behind the bench. i'd like him to be behind our bench when he's ready

Agreed...I'm glad our coaching staff is utilizing him with our current roster like last week when he took the centers aside to work on faceoffs. He seems to have more of a coach's personality than Gretzky too.

bsi
10-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I'd love to see him behind the bench sometime, not sure if he's ready for the job just yet though, has he ever coached pro hockey before? I think this is more of an appeasment job since Canada never sends any decent players over for the SPengler cup and the international community wanting some good press for their tournament, they've sent Messier over as their "it" guy. I think it's great though, it'll give him some experience for sure! These types of guys who answer the call for their country no matter what are what we need more of, not the money obsessed players and agents of today. Go Mess!
BleedsMSG- Gretzky was a good coach, if they had of left him there until their players matured things would have looked different. A buddy of mine in their organization said that the players wanted Gretz to stay, it was just an unfortunate situation.

Bleeds MSG
10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Not saying Gretzky was a bad coach, just that Messier has a personality that IMO seems like it is more of an ideal fit for coaching. Obviously the circumstances w Gretzky and PHO were unique when he left there, not totally related to his performance or ability.

bsi
10-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Bleeds- for sure, I agree with ya totally. Funny thing is that I've always found that less skilled guys make for better coaches(Messier is highly skilled, not what I'm saying but Messier learned how to play both ends of the ice, he scored, worked the PK, PP as well as did things usually reserved for your third liners, he hit, he fought and he intimidated) because they understand the game as a whole better. Yzerman and Sakic are two others I would consider people that could be a good coach after being excellent players, but for the most part it's the grinders that make the best coaches IMO. It also doesn't hurt Mess that when he tells you something you listen, and you have no reason not to, he's done it all and has done it all at the highest level.

j/m_ets
10-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Thats crazy