PDA

View Full Version : Team USA assistant coach impressed with Rondo

ink
10-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Let's try a positive thread about Rondo in the NBA forum. This is not a thread to debate who he's better than, or for people to insult the guy or his team. It's an acknowledgment of his basketball IQ by one of Team USA's assistant coaches, Jay Triano. It's NBA-worthy news because it's about Team USA and it's also about a rising star overall in the PG ranks.

“He’s a very smart basketball player,’’ Triano said. “That surprised me. I wasn’t sure about that before.

“He’s one of the most highly intelligent players in the game right now,’’ added Triano before his Raptors fell, 91-87, to the Celtics last night in an exhibition at TD Garden. “He knows everything. You cannot make a mistake with him. If you screw up on a scouting report, he knows.’’

Celtics coach Doc Rivers has seen that aspect of Rondo the past four seasons. Since it’s new assistant coach Lawrence Frank’s job to draw up the scouting reports this season, Rivers is bracing Frank for the task.

“I’ve alerted Lawrence, this year, you get it right, because the coaches will know and so will Rondo,’’ Rivers said.

Rondo didn’t grow up on hoops, but he studies the game enough to make sure no one knows more than he does.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/10/11/triano_impressed_by_rondo/

Mishmin
10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
My man.

sep11ie
10-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I can't stand Rondo, but I'll give respect where respect is due. He's a helluva point guard, better than I thought the more I saw him play. His style of play(kinda dirty) is just the kind where I hate the dude(unless he's on my team).

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 12:17 PM
When I watched him at Kentucky, and his first season or two in the NBA, I never expected him to develop into what he has become. Use the big 3 all you want as an excuse, but its very difficult to become a top 5 player at a position in the NBA.

TragicallyHip
10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I can't stand Rondo, but I'll give respect where respect is due. He's a helluva point guard, better than I thought the more I saw him play. His style of play(kinda dirty) is just the kind where I hate the dude(unless he's on my team).

How is he a dirty player?

All he does is hustle and exploit mistakes.

The only real altercation he's ever had was with Henirich in the playoffs.

SouthSideRookie
10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Rondo is one of my favorite players in the game. He has grown alot as a player and has shown the nack to deliver in the clutch.

Avenged
10-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Rondo's my "favorite" Celtics player. I can at least tolerate him slightly simply because of all the negativity thrown out on him and the way he has proved and continues to prove everybody wrong. His confidence is also something I like, especially when he was verbally going at it with Chris Paul last season.

sep11ie
10-12-2010, 12:27 PM
How is he a dirty player?

All he does is hustle and exploit mistakes.

The only real altercation he's ever had was with Henirich in the playoffs.

Didn't he slap Brad Miller that series too.

The CP3 incident...

tangent12
10-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Meh, overrated and dirty. Put him in any other team and he'll be exposed. It's easy to get thru the cracks when you have a shooter like Ray on the court ..... with Garnett at one side and Pierce at the other. Neeeeeeeeext!

Rivera
10-12-2010, 12:33 PM

The CP3 incident...

lol i was there when rondo slapped brad miller i started laughin like crazy

asandhu23
10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Lol at Bulls fans going after Rondo. ahahahahahahahaha

Revolu7i9n
10-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Lol at Bulls fans going after Rondo. ahahahahahahahaha

haha! only because most of his few altercations came against Chicago...

DaBUU
10-12-2010, 12:50 PM
just want to point out Slam top 50

#12 DRose Prince of the Chi

#17 Dirty Rondo

just so i stay OT, why would he be impressed with someone who quit on the team right before he was about to get cut?

GodsSon
10-12-2010, 12:54 PM
just want to point out Slam top 50

#12 DRose Prince of the Chi

#17 Dirty Rondo

just so i stay OT, why would he be impressed with someone who quit on the team right before he was about to get cut?

Rose is NOT better than Rondo at this point...and I don't even like Rondo

DaBUU
10-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Fixed...

:hi5:

Avenged
10-12-2010, 12:56 PM
ink your thread failed.

Shame. :pity:

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 12:58 PM
its so pathetic that threads about a handful of players can never be created due to various fan bases out there.

Celtic AL
10-12-2010, 12:58 PM

The CP3 incident...

:facepalm:

yokozuna#1
10-12-2010, 01:00 PM
christ, it's literally embarrassing being a bulls fan on here some time. morons like tangent and da buu jump out of their seat at the opportunity to bash rondo or explain why rose > rondo. how about letting it go for once and letting the topic stay on topic? rondo is a good player, live with it.

CHANGO
10-12-2010, 01:03 PM
its so pathetic that threads about a handful of players can never be created due to various fan bases out there.

THIS...

Rondo is a good player. Period. Better than D-Rose. Period. D-Rose is good too...

Corey
10-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Let's not forget about the *****cat move he pulled on Hinrich by pushing him out of bounds. Rondo is as ghetto as they come.

Definitely, because you know more than an olympic basketball coach that actually gets paid to analyze players, right?

Give me a break.

Celtic AL
10-12-2010, 01:08 PM
im a boston fan who likes Rose! but this Rose vs Rondo gotta stop PSD could creat a penalty for this

YoungOne
10-12-2010, 01:12 PM
what about banning all crap talkin bulls "fans" (better rose "fans") from the nba forum?

Celtic AL
10-12-2010, 01:17 PM
maybe you been lurkin and haven't been posting, but since you're new either way, chill the hell out. If you knew how much bashing crap biased Celtics fans spew about Rose and the unjustified hate of his game, you'd know where the defensiveness comes from regarding this argument. How about you post a little more so we can see where you're coming from and what type of BB knowledge you have before acting like an idiot. An embarrased Bulls fan on here? huh? you're 4 posts in.

for the record no brought up rose untill the rondo bashing begain

Corey
10-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Clean it up and get on topic.

The fact that an olympic assistent is praising Rondo so highly is awesome, because it shows how much he has truly developed since coming into the league.

When he first got to the C's, he was ridiculously immature, and thought he knew everything he needed in order to succeed. Once Doc told him that players don't like him, it finally got through his head. He turned himself into a student of the game, and started soaking up every little bit of coaching he was offered.

This guy works as hard as anyone, and he deserves the praise that he is getting.

Sox72
10-12-2010, 01:38 PM

The fact that an olympic assistent is praising Rondo so highly is awesome, because it shows how much he has truly developed since coming into the league.

When he first got to the C's, he was ridiculously immature, and thought he knew everything he needed in order to succeed. Once Doc told him that players don't like him, it finally got through his head. He turned himself into a student of the game, and started soaking up every little bit of coaching he was offered.

This guy works as hard as anyone, and he deserves the praise that he is getting.

What about the fact that he didn't even make the team? Sure, you can try and tell me that he "chose" to leave, but that's highly unlikely. That coach couldn't be too impressed with his intelligence.

It sounds more like the coach was just being politically correct when being asked about an opposing player.

Corey
10-12-2010, 01:43 PM
What about the fact that he didn't even make the team? Sure, you can try and tell me that he "chose" to leave, but that's highly unlikely. That coach couldn't be too impressed with his intelligence.

It sounds more like the coach was just being politically correct when being asked about an opposing player.

Please feel free to show me one reputable news source that said Rondo was to be cut from the team.

Anyways, it's obvious that his game doen't translate to Fiba. Just like many Euro players don't translate well to the NBA.

What's your point?

JordansBulls
10-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Guys this is not the thread to be discussing who is better than Rondo or who Rondo is better than. If you want to discuss that, then go into the comparison forum -->
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=179
or here
---> http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537391

td0tsfinest
10-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Though I'm not a fan of Rondo, I do acknowledge he's a top PG in the league. He's probably the best defending one. Not only a pesky defender but I think he's got a high ball IQ on the defensive end. He's become a better floor general, thats for sure. It doesn't hurt to have great players but he has set up a lot of good plays. That "Kevin Garnett Roll to the Basket Alley-Oop" is probably their bread and butter.

Rivera
10-12-2010, 02:46 PM
i honestly would expect an assistant coach to say somethin good abt rondo because they dont want to make it seem like there is or ever was an issue

i take jay trianos compliments with a grain of salt because thats protocall u usually dont badmouth a player or anything after they leave on you

now if triano would have said ronods stubborn or he never wanted to be here or somethin negative it would have opened my eyes because the main complaint abt rondo is that he is stubborn n selfish to a point

i love rondo and hes part of the reason y i drive to boston to watch the Cs play
but this kid has his faults its cool to see him grow from someone who couldnt get off the bench on a 15 win team to where he is now

and rondo is not dirty he plays hard for every player u say is dirty i say hes a hard worker and he hustles alot

ink
10-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Totally agree that he deserves the praise. And Triano answered one of the questions that came up a few posts below this. The coach said that Rondo had an outstanding camp and impressed every one of the coaches. The fact of the matter is that in international competition the guards take a lot of 3s and that is just not the style of ball Rondo plays, so he was at a disadvantage.

Give credit where credit is due.

I don't regret starting a thread like this at all. We have to start to be able to talk intelligently and drop our biases and hates in here. We want a quality forum and are not interested in the chippy comments that show up in threads like this.

Rondo is a quality athlete, one of the best PGs in the league, and as intelligent fans we should be able to discuss him even if we don't "like" him. Who cares whether we like him anyway?

It was great to see a coach go out of his way to mention how intelligent Rondo was. Shows that the impression that Rondo left with the coaching staff was very positive.

hard_candy
10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Hmmm, not familiar with the Rondo hate.

Here's what he gives you:
-confidence
-hustle
-enthusiasm

Here's what he gives your opponent:
-the nastiest jump shot on the C's roster
-tons of mistakes since he thinks he's the second coming of michael jordan

He's like the fat ugly guy at the frat party who always gets laid at the end of the night because he doesn't know or care that he's the fat ugly guy at the frat party.

dodie53
10-12-2010, 11:09 PM
imo,
rondo > rose