PDA

View Full Version : Kobe gives the nod to Rubio.

Hellcrooner
10-11-2010, 10:10 PM
"This my third time playing against him, and he is definitely ready to play in the NBA," the Lakers' star said. "The kid can play. I felt like in the Olympics he played very well and showed a lot of poise and he reads a lot of things that average players don't."

Minnesota Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/104584644.html?page=3&c=y)

I guess this dude knows one or two things bout talent?

lakers4sho
10-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Minnesota is cold, a small market, and has a permanent seat at the draft lottery in Secaucus, New Jersey.

...or so the writer says...

AI4MVP
10-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Number one, the writer is a ****ing lunatic with no actual knowledge of the situation hes writing about. Rubio has said countless times that he has no problem with playing in Minnesota and that he will be playing in Minnesota after this year. The writer is a ****ing dumbass.

Second of all, Kobe is damn right

Hellcrooner
10-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Number one, the writer is a ****ing lunatic with no actual knowledge of the situation hes writing about. Rubio has said countless times that he has no problem with playing in Minnesota and that he will be playing in Minnesota after this year. The writer is a ****ing dumbass.

Second of all, Kobe is damn right

i didnt even care bout the writer.

Just putting up waht kobe thinks.

Bullsfan22
10-11-2010, 10:25 PM
oh wow nice kobe thinks he's NBA ready..cool

Avenged
10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I want to see this guy play in the NBA already, just to see if he's as good as a lot of people are making him out to be. Hopefully he is though, Minnesota needs something to cheer about.

Raidaz4Life
10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
You've got to imagine that Kobe will end up as a GM one day.

lakers4sho
10-11-2010, 10:29 PM
You've got to imagine that Kobe will end up as a GM one day.

...and trade Andrew Bynum for Jason Kidd.

I'm sorry, I just had to :p

Hellcrooner
10-11-2010, 10:46 PM

dont forget not oging to chicago if Deng was not there...

_KB24_
10-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Still think that he isn't athletic or strong enough to play in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
10-11-2010, 11:09 PM

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507701

i knew that thrad and picks woudl come handy during this year. :D

DerekRE_3
10-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Minnesota Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/104584644.html?page=3&c=y)

I guess this dude knows one or two things bout talent?

Yep, all of the great players become great talent evaluators...

Elgin Baylor was fantastic with the Clippers...Michael Jordan....

Young24
10-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I think he's ready the kid is a great point guard. I think defense will be hard for him but he can work on that. I see him play and the way he passes reminds me of nash..

Hustlenomics
10-11-2010, 11:21 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507701

i knew that thrad and picks woudl come handy during this year. :D

you're comparing a hall of famer to a scrawny soft kid that hasn't proved anything in the league yet..:confused:

lakers4sho
10-11-2010, 11:23 PM
you're comparing a hall of famer to a scrawny soft kid that hasn't proved anything in the league yet..:confused:

He was mainly comparing their body frame, contesting the notion that Rubio can't play in the league because he's "too frail".

Hellcrooner
10-11-2010, 11:26 PM

nope ( their game is nothing alike, rubio is mor ein the kidd mold)

im comparing their frame and body one year before arrival in teh league.

Hustlenomics
10-11-2010, 11:29 PM
He was mainly comparing their body frame, contesting the notion that Rubio can't play in the league because he's "too frail".

he still put them in the same sentence which shouldn't happen ever ! stockton was great rubio ..is NOT

lakers4sho
10-11-2010, 11:33 PM
he still put them in the same sentence which shouldn't happen ever ! stockton was great rubio ..is NOT

You're comparing them in a different context. People can be similar in body structure, can they not?

Hustlenomics
10-11-2010, 11:35 PM
You're comparing them in a different context. People can be similar in body structure, can they not?

doesn't mean anything I can one day have adam morrison's mustache but does that mean i can win 2 championships also? no!

asandhu23
10-11-2010, 11:38 PM
lol the moment i saw the thread title, i knew it was hellcrooner's

lakers4sho
10-11-2010, 11:39 PM
doesn't mean anything I can one day have adam morrison's mustache but does that mean i can win 2 championships also? no!

You just proved my point. Crooner was just talking about a single aspect that they both shared. In no way was he implying anything more than that. In fact, he differentiates between the two.

Hustlenomics
10-11-2010, 11:43 PM
You just proved my point. Crooner was just talking about a single aspect that they both shared. In no way was he implying anything more than that. In fact, he differentiates between the two.

had i not said anything he probably would have compared their games too :rolleyes: He just said something about rubio's game being like Kidd's :facepalm:

Byronicle
10-11-2010, 11:44 PM

instead make it nash, phoenix could use the big, mavs not really

Bausman
10-11-2010, 11:45 PM

Neither was two time MVP steve Nash.

TheHoopsProphet
10-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Is this the same Kobe that wanted to trade Bynum and Lo for Jermaine O'Neal? Or Bynum for Kidd?

mjt20mik
10-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Neither was two time MVP steve Nash.

This ^.

I swear skill and intelligence plays a huge part too.

GspLAL
10-12-2010, 12:18 AM

Kobe has played against him though, that would make a difference.

blue bleeder09
10-12-2010, 12:38 AM

oh,u haven't meet hellcrooner yet?anything from europe he'll fight tooth and nail for .:D

blue bleeder09
10-12-2010, 12:42 AM
lol the moment i saw the thread title, i knew it was hellcrooner's
U took the words out of my mouth :laugh::laugh::laugh:

alencp3
10-12-2010, 12:42 AM
His defence , passing skills and court vision are elite
He doesnt have to worry about being strong and athletic
No one was before their 20th year

blue bleeder09
10-12-2010, 12:45 AM
he would b nothing more than another over hyped euro player that was to come take the league by storm and turns quikly into a bust . IMO

Chi-Town Sports
10-12-2010, 12:48 AM
I believe Rubio will play great in the NBA, the question is what do the Wolves do with Flynn, do they start him at SG bring Rubio off the bench? Flynn and Rubio in the backcourt at the same time = defensive probelms

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 12:49 AM
he would b nothing more than another over hyped euro player that was to come take the league by storm and turns quikly into a bust . IMO

arent you the one that said Pau is a Role player :rolleyes:?

John Walls Era
10-12-2010, 01:36 AM
instead make it nash, phoenix could use the big, mavs not really

Kidd played for the Nets back then.

Kobe always respects his opponents. The best are never great at evaluating other people's talent (see: MJ). Thats not to say Rubio won't be good, but this article doesn't prove anything.

_KB24_
10-12-2010, 02:32 AM
I'll stay on the low and keep an eye on him before further giving any more input. To the few who brought up Nash and Stockton, they were both extremely DURABLE and tough players who are the definitions of IRON MAN, hardly missing any games. Not to mention both amazingly talented shooters. Lets see what the kid does up in the big leagues.

Fireworld
10-12-2010, 02:48 AM
I watched the Lakers VS Barcelona game. He didn't look ready. But its only one game I saw. I would still start Flynn over him.

kArSoN RyDaH
10-12-2010, 07:25 AM
howd i know this was a HC thread. hahahahahaha.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 08:20 AM
had i not said anything he probably would have compared their games too :rolleyes: He just said something about rubio's game being like Kidd's :facepalm:

Kidd came into the league with a poor jump shot and great passing and defensive skills. Rubio will do the same is what he is saying, which isn't out of the realm. So many forget that Rubio would be entering his freshman year of college over here. He is so far advanced, from a pure PG skillset, than any player his age over here.

North Yorker
10-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Does anyone think Minnie would trade Rubio for the right price with Flynn already there?

If so what should be his value?

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Does anyone think Minnie would trade Rubio for the right price with Flynn already there?

If so what should be his value?

Kahn seems infatuated with Rubio. I don't think anything short of an all star caliber player would get it done currently, whether that is stupid or not.

North Yorker
10-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Kahn seems infatuated with Rubio. I don't think anything short of an all star caliber player would get it done currently, whether that is stupid or not.

Do you think that they will bring Rubio off the bench or play them together?
Also I don't know how Kahn's job security is but if he gets fired at the end of the season then that might open up the possibility for the new GM to trade Rubio maybe?
I saw a interview w/ Kahn over the summer and IIRC he believes the more passers on the floor, the better. So I could see why he would be reluctant to move Ricky, whereas a GM with a different philosophy may be willing to move him.

daleja424
10-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I cant wait for this "phenom" to play in the NBA and be a role player t best like just about every other "phenom" that has come over. JCN looked like Michael Jordan in the World Championships...and is a role player here. Rudy looked good in the Olympics...cant even get minutes here. Its sad for Ricky that people are overhyping him, b/c it is already makingh me dislike him.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I cant wait for this "phenom" to play in the NBA and be a role player t best like just about every other "phenom" that has come over. JCN looked like Michael Jordan in the World Championships...and is a role player here. Rudy looked good in the Olympics...cant even get minutes here. Its sad for Ricky that people are overhyping him, b/c it is already makingh me dislike him.

well, then you understand why many don't like the Heat...

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Do you think that they will bring Rubio off the bench or play them together?
Also I don't know how Kahn's job security is but if he gets fired at the end of the season then that might open up the possibility for the new GM to trade Rubio maybe?
I saw a interview w/ Kahn over the summer and IIRC he believes the more passers on the floor, the better. So I could see why he would be reluctant to move Ricky, whereas a GM with a different philosophy may be willing to move him.

nah, either Flynn or Ridnour would be traded, whomever fetched more value. The Wolves have more passers now. Like I said, I think Kahn is just enamored with Rubio, whether that is a good or bad thing. If Kahn gets fired, I would say there is a definate chance Rubio is traded. But I think Kahn is safe for at least 2 more years. The Wolves will be improved this season, so it will buy him more time.

daleja424
10-12-2010, 10:42 AM
actually I dont Hawkeye... b/c those guys have proven to be elite NBA players...

daleja424
10-12-2010, 10:43 AM
...thats like saying, look, big thress fail all the time, why should the HEAT be any different....but that isnt the case... the biggest two threesomes in recent memory have won titles (Boston and San Antonio)...

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Bacuse is his fault that his draft rights were held by Blazers and they hapened ot have a dude named ROY :rolleyes:

Role player?

That deppends on what you value on players.

If you only consider stars the players that make 20PPg yes he will eb arole player.

If you can go beyond ands see how 12ppg 11 Apg and 2 steals and god defense affect a team then thats a different story

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 10:48 AM
actually I dont Hawkeye... b/c those guys have proven to be elite NBA players...

I am comparing the media hype. if the media would just shut up and let Rubio play and not cover everything he does, nobody would care. You stated the hype is what is making you dislike him. He has done nothing in the slightest to deserve hate. Neither have the Heat. I was simply putting it in that context

daleja424
10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
That is true Hawkeye...

I dont think I mean that I actually hate him, more that I expect him to fail and can't stand the people who hype him.

Recent histroy has shown that there is a far greater chance that he fails then he succeeds at becoming an aobve average NBA player.

daleja424
10-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Bacuse is his fault that his draft rights were held by Blazers and they hapened ot have a dude named ROY :rolleyes:

Role player?

That deppends on what you value on players.

If you only consider stars the players that make 20PPg yes he will eb arole player.

If you can go beyond ands see how 12ppg 11 Apg and 2 steals and god defense affect a team then thats a different story

If he is averaging 11 assists in the NBA that will not be simply role player obviously....b/c it means he is a BIG part of setting up the offense. But where are those 12 points coming from?

Problem is this... firstly...he isnt going to average that many assists... secondly...how on earth is he going to score 12 points a game with no jumpshot and limited athleticism?

daleja424
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
...considering he averaged what 7 and 4 in the Euroleague... and you think he is going to more than double his ouput againt better players?

...not to mention th wonderful 35% shooting

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 10:56 AM
That is true Hawkeye...

I dont think I mean that I actually hate him, more that I expect him to fail and can't stand the people who hype him.

Recent histroy has shown that there is a far greater chance that he fails then he succeeds at becoming an aobve average NBA player.

well, watching games like the one against Team USA a couple months ago shows he does hav potential. But then he lays a dud in another game. I love his passing ability, and his defense seems high level. But its impossible to tell how his game will translate over here. I am excited to see him play in a Wolves uniform, but I can't tell you what I expect out of him. Sure, statistics show he won't be more than an average player. But he is also a rare case, playing pro ball at age 15, and holding his own against the world's best at age 17. I am hoping for a 12/11/2 PG, but I am not expecting it.
You can't bash Crooner, or others for hyping him. They watch him a ton more than we do, and have a much better understanding of what skillsets translate into the NBA.
I do think Kahn has set his sights on Rubio, and he is as close to untouchable as it gets. While I am fine with this, how Rubio's career, or what we get for him, goes a loooooong way in defining Kahn's level of success or failure.

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
If he is averaging 11 assists in the NBA that will not be simply role player obviously....b/c it means he is a BIG part of setting up the offense. But where are those 12 points coming

Problem is this... he isnt going to average that many assists... secondly...how on earth is he going to score 12 points a game with no jumpshot and limited athleticism?

He Will give so much assists, he is handing down 6 in europe in 20 minutes ( fiba rules for awarding assists are much tigher than nba rules, bascialy for you to get given an assists the dude must shoot reight when he gets the passs9)

And about the poings, he is developing a jumper, he DRIVS IN frequently and will do MORE often i in the nba since zone defense is not allowed so there will be mroe open spaces.

Payton or Kidd couldnt shoot for hack when they got to the league, and they were 3 years older than rubio wil be when joining the league.

He sitll can learn.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 10:58 AM
...considering he averaged what 7 and 4 in the Euroleague... and you think he is going to more than double his ouput againt better players?

...not to mention th wonderful 35% shooting

go check Jennings stats in Europe. Its totally different. They work way more as a team structure. Their PG's don't get a lot of assists. And its rare that anyone plays 30+ mpg. Its just a different league, with more contact, zone, and stingy statisticaly measures.

daleja424
10-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I dont disagree....he can still learn... but why are we hyping a guy that still needs to learn.

He may very well one day be a really good player...I have no idea. But since when do we annoint people some kind of title or hype when as of right now...they arent that special. How many other Euroleage players averaging 7 and 4 a game are reporters asking Kobe about!?!?

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 11:00 AM
his scoring will bet better, or more efficient. The NBA is wide open, the Euro game forces jumpshots. Hence why players like Iverson, Marbury, etc, thrive in the NBA, and then suck in FIBA. Rubio will be getting to the rim far more often over here, and his foul draw rate will be higher. They actually let you breath on somebody over there

daleja424
10-12-2010, 11:02 AM
go check Jennings stats in Europe. Its totally different. They work way more as a team structure. Their PG's don't get a lot of assists. And its rare that anyone plays 30+ mpg. Its just a different league, with more contact, zone, and stingy statisticaly measures.

jennings has a jumpshot AND athleticism... which made the NBA game for him, in some ways, easier than Europe. Ricky does not have those things. He wont outquick or outjump much of anyone in the NBA and he cant score from the outside (at least not yet)... so how is it even remotely similar to the Jennings situation?

daleja424
10-12-2010, 11:03 AM
his scoring will bet better, or more efficient. The NBA is wide open, the Euro game forces jumpshots. Hence why players like Iverson, Marbury, etc, thrive in the NBA, and then suck in FIBA. Rubio will be getting to the rim far more often over here, and his foul draw rate will be higher. They actually let you breath on somebody over there

I have to disagree. He doesnt have the ability to finish over people...which is CRITICAL in finishing at this level. There are too many elite athletes waiting to block your shot if you cant go up high and finish strong.

daleja424
10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
listen, I am just calling it as I see it. I think Ricky has the mental fortitude to play this game. He is a very good playmaker. But I dont think he has the physical attributes required to be successful in this league (in most cases). There are rare occassions when people of below average athleticism can succeed, but they almost always supliment there game with an elite shooting game... which isnt the case here

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
jennings has a jumpshot AND athleticism... which made the NBA game for him, in some ways, easier than Europe. Ricky does not have those things. He wont outquick or outjump much of anyone in the NBA and he cant score from the outside (at least not yet)... so how is it even remotely similar to the Jennings situation?

Outjump? nope he wont.

Outquick? definetly he will. YOu need to watch him more.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 11:06 AM

Jennings isn't that good of a shooter dude. Average at best. And he is tiny, so he has problems finishing at the rim. My point is, young PG's in the system over there do not produce good numbers. Rubio's quickness with the ball in hand is also very underrated.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 11:06 AM
listen, I am just calling it as I see it. I think Ricky has the mental fortitude to play this game. He is a very good playmaker. But I dont think he has the physical attributes required to be successful in this league (in most cases). There are rare occassions when people of below average athleticism can succeed, but they almost always supliment there game with an elite shooting game... which isnt the case here

you are entitled to your opinion, but you are underrating his athletic ability.

daleja424
10-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I have said this before in th HEAT forum:
average players have one elite trait
good players have a couple elite traits
great players have it all... pretty much elite accross the board

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 11:09 AM

that would be his DEFENSE , passing and his Playmaking skill.

If he develops a decent scoring enough fro 15 a game then he will go into you 4th posiition.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 11:09 AM

passing and anticipation on defense. He is 19 dude. He should be entering his freshman season of ball if he were over here

daleja424
10-12-2010, 11:10 AM
you are entitled to your opinion, but you are underrating his athletic ability.

perhaps... but consider that I have only seen him at his BEST. I havent seen him in these "goose eggs" tht you say he lays regularly. The couple games I have watched him play were games at the World Championships, and he was playing good at those times, and still I didnt see a game that translated particularly well to the NBA.

daleja424
10-12-2010, 11:11 AM
passing and anticipation on defense. He is 19 dude. He should be entering his freshman season of ball if he were over here

very possible!!!

I want to see him guard an NBA guard for 35 minutes a game...and not a european one for 20 minutes....before I evalute his defense though.

so far I see one elite ability... passing. That translates just fine. He has elite court vision...no ifs, ands or buts about that.

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 11:13 AM
perhaps... but consider that I have only seen him at his BEST. I havent seen him in these "goose eggs" tht you say he lays regularly. The couple games I have watched him play were games at the World Championships, and he was playing good at those times, and still I didnt see a game that translated particularly well to the NBA.

in europe sometie his game is lost because he thinks too quick and gives a long quick pass to a dude that i not quick enough to get, or tallented enough to grab and finish.
He wont have that prolem once hie i surronded of talent.
a side efect to him joinign wolves will be the uprise on loves scoring and probably amkig him an allstar and milicic partialy removing the bust label.
He maske thos around better.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 11:15 AM
very possible!!!

I want to see him guard an NBA guard for 35 minutes a game...and not a european one for 20 minutes....before I evalute his defense though.

so far I see one elite ability... passing. That translates just fine. He has elite court vision...no ifs, ands or buts about that.

agree. Look, I appear to be sticking up for Rubio, but the fact is, nobody knows what he will become, and even Wolves fans are sick of all the media attention and hype. Like we really want fans to invade the Wolves forum if Rubio isn't killing it day 1, and I have to defend left and right. Shut up media, and let the dude play, and let's see what he looks like in the NBA after a few years.

daleja424
10-12-2010, 11:17 AM
in europe sometie his game is lost because he thinks too quick and gives a long quick pass to a dude that i not quick enough to get, or tallented enough to grab and finish.
He wont have that prolem once hie i surronded of talent.
a side efect to him joinign wolves will be the uprise on loves scoring and probably amkig him an allstar and milicic partialy removing the bust label.
He maske thos around better.

no one can save darko :D

daleja424
10-12-2010, 11:19 AM
agree. Look, I appear to be sticking up for Rubio, but the fact is, nobody knows what he will become, and even Wolves fans are sick of all the media attention and hype. Like we really want fans to invade the Wolves forum if Rubio isn't killing it day 1, and I have to defend left and right. Shut up media, and let the dude play, and let's see what he looks like in the NBA after a few years.

Thats my point. He can have a successful career without being a star...but not if everyone expects him to be a stud.

blue bleeder09
10-12-2010, 12:26 PM
arent you the one that said Pau is a Role player :rolleyes:?

he is a role player ,on KOBE's TEAM ! :facepalm:

ttam68
10-12-2010, 12:28 PM

Could say that about anyone. I argue the same points on Evan Turner in the Sixer forum. But, Rubio is the one with this thread and the years of anticipation.

Honestly, I think he'll be good. But two lines from Kobe and an overly patriotic foreigner don't add anything to his story. As you said, lets let him play (in 2012)

blue bleeder09
10-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Thats my point. He can have a successful career without being a star...but not if everyone expects him to be a stud.

i agree ,but my problem is people like hellcroomer want to compair him to the likes of john stockton ,steve nash ...:facepalm:

name me 1 euro player that came over here and became a superstar and took the nba by storm ??? u cant and intil 1 does ,they will be over hyped like allways ..

daleja424
10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
dirk is the closest there is...and even he is not really a superstar I guess...

I dont want to belittle players like Dirk and Pau though. That is not my point at all...

i do think it is silly to compare a 17 y/o with no jumpshot to Steve Nash tho...lol

Mplsman
10-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Everybody wants Rubio in the nba after watching that fiba game this summer.

Hellcrooner
i agree ,but my problem is people like hellcroomer want to compair him to the likes of john stockton ,steve nash ...:facepalm:

name me 1 euro player that came over here and became a superstar and took the nba by storm ??? u cant and intil 1 does ,they will be over hyped like allways ..

Parker, Manu (became a pro in europe(), Peja, Dirk, Pau Gasol there you got a starting unit of "european" STARS.

And calling pau a role player is beyond stupid my boy.

Hawkeye15
which is where the Kidd comparisons come into play

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 12:44 PM
and for the last time ive not compared RUbio with NAsh or Stocktn.

what i stated if his FRAME; atetlism, and Strenght wich many peopel doubt is SIMILAR to that of sotockton when coming into the league.

Game wise rubios goal has to be play like KIDD, payton or RONDo given the skills he have.

He has nothing to do with nash ( good shotting, no defense) when he is DEFENSE and passing wiht a normal shooting.

Bruno
10-12-2010, 02:22 PM
I still don't care, Bryant endorsement or not. I'll start paying attention when he's playing games in the NBA.

It seems like he's going to be a great player.

LA_Raiders
10-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Rubio is a grat player, I bet if he comes to the NBA he is a top 10 PG

td0tsfinest
10-12-2010, 02:29 PM

LMAO :laugh2:

We can debate Kobe's ability to tell great talent but I don't think thats the point. No doubt its a great honour to be praised by arguably the best player in the world (on PSD he is ;) ). But I don't think it was ever a question if he was ready to play. It was a great opportunity for Rubio to stay two extra years in Europe but I thought the kid was ready to play in the league the day he was drafted.

John Walls Era
10-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Everybody wants Rubio in the nba after watching that fiba game this summer.

What game were you watching? If you mean the Fiba Worlds held in Turkey then you're wrong. He was brutal (terrible shooting %) and Spain could've gone much further if Jose Calderon was healthy... Heck, Rubio wasn't even a top 3 PG in that tournament. Serbia's Milos Teodosic outplayed him and imo was the best PG in the tournament (no offense to Rose and Westbrook).

WolvesJagsOs
im so sick of this rubio talk. Like hawkeye has said many times, just let the kid play, enough with the stupid media. Its annoying the hell out of me.

Hellcrooner
LMAO :laugh2:

We can debate Kobe's ability to tell great talent but I don't think thats the point. No doubt its a great honour to be praised by arguably the best player in the world (on PSD he is ;) ). But I don't think it was ever a question if he was ready to play. It was a great opportunity for Rubio to stay two extra years in Europe but I thought the kid was ready to play in the league the day he was drafted.

disagree, it would have been disastrous, he still has to plish some things Imo ( i see heim play every weekend) needs to learn :
Shooting
Not to gamble so much for stieals, this can be very dangerous in nba.
be a bit more greedy, sometimes you have to take that shot and passing leads to a TO.
Not gamble so much with some flashy pass attempts.
Improve his leading skills.

I think he wil be ready next year toguh.

Mplsman
10-12-2010, 02:52 PM
What game were you watching? If you mean the Fiba Worlds held in Turkey then you're wrong. He was brutal (terrible shooting %) and Spain could've gone much further if Jose Calderon was healthy... Heck, Rubio wasn't even a top 3 PG in that tournament. Serbia's Milos Teodosic outplayed him and imo was the best PG in the tournament (no offense to Rose and Westbrook).

I was refering to the Usa vs Spain game(not tournament) in which he looked like the best PG on the court.

Hellcrooner
10-12-2010, 02:54 PM
spain as a whole sucked dick in fiba this year.
A big part of it was the horrible Coachin by Scariolo.

Tony_Starks
10-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Im not sure if everyone watched the same worlds I watched but Rubio was garbage. Overdribbling, trying to turn simple passes into hot dog passes resulting in TO's, with no mid-range or 3ball to speak of. He was also voted Spains worst player.

Im not saying he can't or wont improve, I believe he will. But so far to the neutral basketball fan with no vested interest he hasn't been impressive at all.

Hustlenomics
10-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Kidd came into the league with a poor jump shot and great passing and defensive skills. Rubio will do the same is what he is saying, which isn't out of the realm. So many forget that Rubio would be entering his freshman year of college over here. He is so far advanced, from a pure PG skillset, than any player his age over here.

no Rubio will not follow the same path of Jason Kidd not ever :facepalm:

AI led team usa in scoring back in 04 and him and marbury lead the team in assists

td0tsfinest
10-12-2010, 05:29 PM

I really don't see why he wouldn't be able to improve his shot. A lot of players do. Not saying Rubio will be like Kidd but its definitely not out of the unordinary.

AI led team usa in scoring back in 04 and him and marbury lead the team in assists

Sure but they ended up with the bronze. It was such a disaster I think that team was coined as the Nightmare Team.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 05:44 PM

what is with the facepalm? Grow up
How did we do then? When you send PG's who aren't great shooters to the Olympics, bad things happen

Hustlenomics
10-12-2010, 05:54 PM
what is with the facepalm? Grow up
How did we do then? When you send PG's who aren't great shooters to the Olympics, bad things happen

:facepalm::facepalm: big deal it shows my disgust for the posts i quoted has nothing to do with "growing up" and blame it on the guards when the only "PG" there was Marbury the rest were shooting guards and forwards and the team had lebron,wade, and Melo when they were rookies

8kobe24
10-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Talent doesn't always equal success.

Hustlenomics
10-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Talent doesn't always equal success.

yep there's alot of talented players and Hofer's who didn't win a championship

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 10:08 PM
:facepalm::facepalm: big deal it shows my disgust for the posts i quoted has nothing to do with "growing up" and blame it on the guards when the only "PG" there was Marbury the rest were shooting guards and forwards and the team had lebron,wade, and Melo when they were rookies

I have honestly never seen you make a valid point in your posts. You come to this site to bait others. GROW UP