PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts so far

OneTuzSea
10-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Trying not to overract...

I'm really liking Taormina. Coaches have faith in him.

Brodeur just shouldn't have been in the last game. No reason for him to be in a double header against a non-division opponent. Although Hedberg didn't look much better. It's mostly our D right now that's failing us more than our goaltending. Don't give up on Marty.

Everyone just seems shaky. The ZIPline is just trying to pass too much. Ya that one from Kovy to Zach worked, but other than just shoot the damn thing.

Defense is bad. Too many mistakes with the puck. We NEED Volchankov to be back and soon. I think they Caps went on that 5-0 run right after he went out. He's pretty huge to us right now with all the young players.

Tallinder looks great. That goal on Saturday was just awesome. Good on D.

Fix the ****ing cap. This is getting rediculous. Package someone with a draft pick if you have to. We're going to get our assess handed to us night after night if this keeps up. I'd be all for waiving Fraser as well.

Elias and Arnott. :clap:

Give it a month. I'd give us at LEAST a month to start panicing, most likely till around Christmas. This team is used to being defense focused and we're shifting to offense. It'll be great when it works, but it'll take time. The defense will mesh in time, we have a lot of talent.

Freekshow187187
10-11-2010, 07:03 PM
No reason to panic at all team needs to gel together and just gotta work out are defense played ok today but third period against pit was are best so far and hopfully they build on that

jakub
10-11-2010, 10:00 PM
We miss Salavdor..

Robbw241
10-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Just trade Zubrus if we have to at this point.

jakub
10-11-2010, 10:24 PM
rolston i hope he goes

OneTuzSea
10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Just trade Zubrus if we have to at this point.

He looked REALLY good tonight. But if it gets us out of the cap hell I'm for it.

Bricklayer
10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
I know the OP said to lay off Marty, but nobdy gets a free pass in my mind. He has been dreadfull. In the N.H.L you simply can not compete if you goaltending lets you down. Brodeur needs to steal a couple games before the season gets out of hand.

OneTuzSea
10-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I know the OP said to lay off Marty, but nobdy gets a free pass in my mind. He has been dreadfull. In the N.H.L you simply can not compete if you goaltending lets you down. Brodeur needs to steal a couple games before the season gets out of hand.

It's three games and the defense is atrocious. There's no reason to call for his head already. Beside a goal that got deflected off Taormina last night, he was vintage Marty.

Bricklayer
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
It's three games and the defense is atrocious. There's no reason to call for his head already. Beside a goal that got deflected off Taormina last night, he was vintage Marty.

I'm not calling for his head, but he needs to be better period. A few more games without a W and Johnny Mac will have a target on him, especially with a guy like Ken Hitchcock readily available to step in.

faridk89
10-12-2010, 03:51 PM
leafs just waived jeff finger, so a cap move could easily be in the works in the next 24 hours with the leafs

Germanator
10-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I think it's really too early to start pointing fingers...

A new coach with a new style with a bunch of new players and rookies takes more than just a few games to gel. I know it isn't very fair to say "well just give me a few more games I PROMISE it'll get better", but that is basically what seems to be happening. Once we get Volchenkov back and the lines have more time to build their chemistry, things will flow alot smoother IMO.

And whoever blames Marty is dumb (to say the least). Marty lives and dies on the way the team plays. With a porous defense like we have had as of lately, he's had to really play out of his style. Also, with a new coach working with a more offensively skilled team, killing the trap system that the Devils have been structured around for years, it will also take time. Marty is a product of the trap system; he IS a great goalie, but to start blaming him for losses is absurd...

Do0msday
10-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Some people are actually blaming Brodeur for this? Really? Did you even watch the games? He let a few that he would probably have gotten to in his younger days, but he's also made some nice saves and looked pretty good. The 2nd start shouldn't really be held against him. It was early in the season, guys are still trying to shake the off season rust off, and he's relied on in back to back games early on. The Caps raped us, but we're playing with a small roster, not to mention some guys are already battling injuries. Let's get Volchenkov back healthy, plus maybe Mair's addition will make a small impact. We need A-Train back healthy, but overall things could have been worse.

Hell, look to the first game of the season. They got off to a red hot start out of the starting gate, but they fizzled down. Marty made some great saves in the first few games and some of the goals really weren't his fault (i.e. deflecting off of his own d-man). Marty may be old and may not even look as good as he used to a few years ago ... but he's still better than most other teams' goalies. Things could be worse. Marty isn't the problem. The cap problem and inconsistent play is the problem. Once the defense starts to click we'll be fine. There's been good puck movement overall. I think the main problem on the offensive end is that some of the guys are too wary to take the shot and they keep passing too much.

Bricklayer
10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
I wish I knew where to get a pair of these rose coloured Marty glasses. :p

Anyways, let me clarify since I have clearly ruffled some feathers.

Is Marty an exeptional goalie? yes
Best Ever? quite possibly
Has he played way below his standards to start the season? yup
Should he be exempt to criticism because he's a living legend? no way

The original poster asked for some thoughts so far, and I gave some, that is all.

Freekshow187187
10-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Let's just see where the team is after ten games especially since we got a big road trip soon so if the team can turn it around great hopfully Lou just does a move so we can get a full roster up and maybe get some young players up but after ten games I think we will get a feel for this team

OneTuzSea
10-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I fully agree with the don't panic mantra. Wish would people would do it, but you go to more active NHL forums and all you see is everyone freaking out. I wasn't really pointing too much at this forum, everyone seems pretty level-headed which is nice.

And as far as Marty goes, he's absolutely one of the best (if not THE best) goalies in the last decade, but he can't save a team like some goalies can. He's only as good as the team is. I just hope his last couple years aren't wasted behind a horrible D, but I have faith it'll be get better at least in a month or so.

Either way, it looks like the NHL is turning away from goalies and defenses like we're used to. Just going to take some adjusting time.

Zubrus is being wasted on that third line with almost no talent. Hopefully finally signing Mair will help. Z definitely has the talent, imo.

Freekshow187187
10-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Anybody get real excited with Fraser and rolston injuries??? Lol sorry not to be mean but now we get a full lineup bring up josefson and corrente I so far watching Fraser last and these first few games have not been impress or even can tolerate Fraser I don't see any upside to him am I the only one he just seems lost and always out of position

Do0msday
10-15-2010, 01:52 AM
He has a tad upside, but it's really nothing special. He really just doesn't fit the team. He reminds me of Arron Asham a few years ago. He'll lay out some hits, spend some minutes in the penalty box, but really offers nothing offensively. He's just too one dimensional and doesn't do much. At least Corrente has a tad offensive upside. Josefson though is the real prize here in my opinion. I just like the guy and have ever since we drafted him. I think he's got a high ceiling and would be capable of putting up solid #'s in a limited role. It's better than anything Rolston could do right now. Don't get me wrong, I like Rolston as a person and back when he was here on his original stint...but ever since we got him back he's just been terrible. It's obvious that he doesn't have much left in the tank. I do hate seeing guys get hurt, but it's kind of 1 of those things where it sucks on a personal level, yet you secretly enjoy it. Rolston's cap hit hurt us way too much now we finally have some fresh guys to give us a little depth. I do miss Salvador a bit though.

OneTuzSea
10-15-2010, 08:14 AM
I like Josefson's upside, but I don't think he's ready and I don't think he'd be called up. He was getting beat around in pre-season and just didn't look big enough. Corrente on the other hand should have started the season on the NHL roster.

Freekshow187187
10-15-2010, 11:38 AM
I like Josefson's upside, but I don't think he's ready and I don't think he'd be called up. He was getting beat around in pre-season and just didn't look big enough. Corrente on the other hand should have started the season on the NHL roster.

Agreed I was actually hoping they bring up palmeri I just think he looks real good he has speed obviously big don't mind using his size and looks like he has the ability to score you put him on the line with zub and clarky and that's a big skillful line but on corrente I wanted him to give him his shot last year I hope he takes advantage of it now

JetsYanksDevils
10-16-2010, 08:40 PM
i dont want to start another trade brodeur thread but if i have too i will lol....im liking the young guys and there offense they just gotta start putting pucks in the net and we'll be back to winning and brodeurs gotta start saving some ****ing pucks

TRUTH-TELLER
10-17-2010, 01:01 AM
john maclean will be fired by december

jakub
10-17-2010, 08:17 PM
john maclean will be fired by december

perfectly said, if not earlier..