PDA

View Full Version : The Bench

thebusnotjerome
10-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Who has the best bench in the NBA as of now?

To me personally, it comes down to the Celtics and Heat with the edge going to the Celtics.

Celtics Heat
Shaquille O'Neal > Zydrunas Ilgaukas
Glen Davis > Udonis Haslem
Marquise Daniels < Mike Miller
Nate Robinson > Eddie House
Delonte West > Carlos Arroyo
Semih Erden < Jamaal Magloire

SouthSideRookie
10-11-2010, 12:19 PM

To me personally, it comes down to the Celtics and Heat with the edge going to the Celtics.

Celtics Heat

:facepalm:

hugepatsfan
10-11-2010, 12:27 PM
The Heat did a solid job of making a good bench. But it isn't close to the best in the league.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I hate this >, =, < thing

It's pointless, It's all about chemistry

NYKalltheway
10-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Totally agree

sixers247
10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Sixers

Williams
Turner
Nocioni
Meeks
Speights
Battie
Brackins
songaila
kapono

Might as well start the homers now

Shady66
10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Suns, Nuggets, Mavs. Off the top of my head

Corey
10-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Winner.

You can put a bench full of scrubs out there, but if they play well TOGETHER, they could be very effective.

Talent doesn't matter. On the Celtics, their entire second unit either has been, or aspires to be starters.

No one has any clue if that's going to affect anyone moving forward. What happens When Big Baby isn't getting the minutes he wants? What happens when Shaq decides he's more effective than JO, and wants more minutes? What happens when Perk comes back, and wants to go right back into his starter role? What happens when Nate goes on a cold streak?

Talent goes out the window, especially with a bench. They need to have chemistry, and be able to stop opposing benches by playing team defense. Individual matchups don't matter.

Edit: To the OP -- If you're going to do the < / > / = crap, at least provide statistics so it isn't just your opinion. Opinions are worthless when talking about player comparisons.

Edit x2: And calling a turkish rookie center who hasn't played one minute in the NBA regular season (And was the last pick in the second round last year) better than Magloire is silly.

CHANGO
10-11-2010, 01:08 PM
The best bench in the league...

Celtics (The Oneal's, Delonte, Nate, Glen Davis)
Lakers (Steve Blake, Barnes, Odom, Ratliff, Shannon Brown)
Spurs (George Hills, DeJuan Blair, Thiaggo Splitter)
Suns (Goran Dragic, Childress, Turkoglu, Jared Dudley)
Miami (Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, Ilgauzkas, Eddie House)
Pistons (Will Bynum, Ben Gordon, Austin Daye, Villanueva, McGrady)
Magic (Duhon, Redick, Richardson, Jason Williams)
76ers (Turner, Nocioni, Kapono, Lou Williams)
Mavs (Terry, Stevenson, Barea, Chandler, Beabueis?)
Bobcats (Kwame Brown :clap:)

Storch
10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Phx had a bunch of nobodies in their bench and they played SOLID last year. So ranking them based on a NBA 2k ratings-mindset is pointless.

nuggetsyankees
10-11-2010, 01:29 PM
no love for Denver?

Birdman, Al Harrington, JR Smith, Ty Lawson

Avenged
10-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Celtics, Lakers, Mavs come to mind.

But the Heat?? They have a solid bench, nothing great, but still good.. Their bench is very underrated but not quite to say they have the best bench.

mully
10-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Denver, Lakers, Boston, both the last two have better chemistry.

j-bay
10-11-2010, 01:44 PM
washington has a really nice bench

alencp3
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Celtics Heat

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

goeatfish63
10-11-2010, 01:59 PM
i'd actually take haslem over glen davis

sep11ie
10-11-2010, 02:25 PM
The Rockets have a damn good bench.

Kyle Lowry is better than some teams starting PG
Courtney Lee has been a starter on a Magic team the went to the finals.
Chase Budinger is a guy a lot of people will know after this year.
Jordan Hill's potential is soooo high, should be at least decent due to athletic ability alone.
Brad Miller is a seasoned vet that'll log plenty of minutes.
Jermaine Taylor can score in bunches(if only he could play some D).
Chuchwagon Hayes was the smallest center in the leage and still plays some great D on much more "skilled" players.

5ass
10-11-2010, 02:26 PM
The best bench in the league...

Celtics (The Oneal's, Delonte, Nate, Glen Davis)
Lakers (Steve Blake, Barnes, Odom, Ratliff, Shannon Brown)
Spurs (George Hills, DeJuan Blair, Thiaggo Splitter)
Suns (Goran Dragic, Childress, Turkoglu, Jared Dudley)
Miami (Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, Ilgauzkas, Eddie House)
Pistons (Will Bynum, Ben Gordon, Austin Daye, Villanueva, McGrady)
Magic (Duhon, Redick, Richardson, Jason Williams)
76ers (Turner, Nocioni, Kapono, Lou Williams)
Mavs (Terry, Stevenson, Barea, Chandler, Beabueis?)
Bobcats (Kwame Brown :clap:)

wow are you serious? miami over orlando? no way..
pietrus, gortat, duhon, redick, bass can all start on any team in the nba.. miamis bench would not stand a chance against orlandos.. and im not being a homer but if you dont recognize that the magic has one of the best bench if not the best bench you dont know anything about the NBA
i can see how celtics could be 1st, but lakers 2nd? come on lakers bench played like **** last season.. and spurs in 3rd? tiaggo splitter and blair? a rookie and a poor mans big baby davis? really? and how are the mavs that low? mavs are a VERY deep team.. i would place them third

ShaqShoes
10-11-2010, 02:30 PM
^ Lol at Duhon can start on any NBA team.

JLMiles14
10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
pietrus, gortat, duhon, redick, bass can all start on any team in the nba.. miamis bench would not stand a chance against orlandos.. and im not being a homer but if you dont recognize that the magic has one of the best bench if not the best bench you dont know anything about the NBA
i can see how celtics could be 1st, but lakers 2nd? come on lakers bench played like **** last season.. and spurs in 3rd? tiaggo splitter and blair? a rookie and a poor mans big baby davis? really? and how are the mavs that low? mavs are a VERY deep team.. i would place them third

:speechless: lol

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Lakers have a deep bench

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
ya celtics bench is pretty good. heats will only get better as the years roll on

PippensBulls
10-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Toss up between Lakers and Celtics.

If the Celtics have a lot of bigs to throw around, while the Lakers have a good all-around bench that is also versatile.

CHANGO
10-11-2010, 03:03 PM

Excuse me sir, but where you see that I wrote first, second, third etc ... Perhaps there says, the best bench, the Celtics, then the Lakers, or so? I wrote that came to my mind, at any time, order from best to worst or something like that. So please, do not come to insult like you know more than others, when clearly you do not know enough.

And if ranked from best to worst, the bench of the Celtics, Lakers, San Antonio and Miami was better than Orlando. Are you saying that Chris Duhon is better than Nate Robinson, Steve Blake, George Hill and Carlos Arroyo or Mario Chalmers? Really? Are you saying that Bass is better than Glen Davis, Odom, De Juan Blair and Udonis Haslem? Really? Well you do not want to be a homer, but that's what you're showing. These demonstrate that you know nothing about the NBA. In the Magic's bench, the best are Quentin Richardson and Redick and the other is not big deal, so NEVER, will be the best bench (in individual talent.) Please, stop. :cheers:

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 03:25 PM
lakers got the best bench in the league

VinceCarter
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM

No. Definitely no.

VinceCarter
10-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh and the Nets bench seriously is not bad at all. What do you think?

Farmar
TWill
Favors
Damion James
Kris Humphries
Petro

CHANGO
10-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Oh and the Nets bench seriously is not bad at all. What do you think?

Farmar
TWill
Favors
Damion James
Kris Humphries
Petro

Not Bad...

But who started as SG? Anthony Morrow or Terrence Williams? Even so either would be a good replacement.

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 03:49 PM
nets have a decent bench

nuggetsyankees
10-11-2010, 04:34 PM
^dude...your sig is for pedophiles...she's like 13 years old or something

tangent12
10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
ROFL!!!!!!!! The Heat!!! Hahahahahah. I swear I burst out laughing when I read that. :laugh: :laugh:

srfr4life
10-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Thank you!!! It's not as believable when a fan calls out his own team. Boston is just as deep if not more.

Cano4prez
10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
The Heat have an underrated bench but not the 2nd best and i'm a Heat fan not a bandwagon either

CHANGO
10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
For me, I'm a Heat fan...

Celtics
Suns
Lakers
Mavs
Nuggets
Heat
Magic

Order from best to worst.

rockets-fan
10-11-2010, 06:05 PM
no houston?? really??????how is that...they arguably have the best in the league

I am a legend
10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
really...no Houston...Slept on again

leoncito
10-11-2010, 06:34 PM
It's between Orlando and Boston for the bench.

Gortat: got a contract to start for Dallas (was matched)
Redick: got a contract to start for Chicago (was matched)
Peitrus
Anderson
Bass
Duhon: our weekest link on the Bench
Jason Williams: should be the back up

Heater4life
10-11-2010, 06:51 PM
As said before, it is all about chemistry and mere > < does'nt give any indication of whom is better. I believe Phoenix, Boston, and L.A.L have the better benches, followed by S.A, Orlando, Dallas, and Miami.

Heater4life
10-11-2010, 06:56 PM
As Miami goes i think our second units strength will play very well with our offensive schemes and the talents of the starters whom will play alongside them. ex. Udonis Haslem's great pick and roll game w/ Lebron/wades pick and roll game. Millers ability to shoot and also put the ball on the floor (opens up floor spacing). Zeke, Jones, and House outside shooting w/ wade,bron slashing, bosh low post game.

footballer2369
10-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I'd say Phx, Denver, Houston, Dallas in no order...

then Boston probably...

KeithLBC
10-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Why do Houston fans always think they should be included in every conversation? Houston's bench is good, but not close to being in the conversation of "the best".

IMO... top 3

Celtics
Lakers
Mavs or Suns (it's a toss up for me)

davids22
10-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Boston has best bench by far.

Don't forget about the Bucks people. Played very very well together last year, and all they lost was Ridnour.

Michael Redd
Jon Brockman
Carlos Delfino
Ersan Illyasova
Keyon Dooling
Chris Douglas-Roberts
Tiny Gallon
Darington Hobson
Larry Sanders
Luc Richard Mbah A Moute

Warriors0
10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Why do Houston fans always think they should be included in every conversation? Houston's bench is good, but not close to being in the conversation of "the best".

IMO... top 3

Celtics
Lakers

Well we got courtney lee who started last year on the bench
one of the better post defenders in chuck hayes
a great point guard that could start on some teams in Kyle lowry
a talented 4 in jordan hill
a draft steal in chase budinger

Scalphunter13
10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Gortat would start on most teams in the NBA. Please Miami bandwagons don't even try to argue that Joel Anthony is better than gortat.

wadecounty305
10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
i'd actually take haslem over glen davis

very true... by the way i think the rockets have the best bench

rockets-fan
10-11-2010, 10:50 PM

IMO... top 3

Celtics
Lakers

name one bench player on the rockets that isnt a qualioty starter or great back up??

lowry should start over brooks imo
lee started untilln now
budinger is athletic with a sweet jumper
hayes started last year and did really well
miller quality back up which some teams would start

so yea they are in the conversation...houston fans rarely even mention houston as much as other teams...but bench they do have

Wilson
10-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Please excuse me for a homer answer, but I feel better about the Lakers bench this year than I have since I started watching them. We have Lamar Odom who is still one of the best sixth men in the NBA, and Shannon Brown is a great slasher.

This is where it gets speculative with the three new guys. We've replaced Jordan Farmar with Steve Blake (a HUGE upgrade), and added Matt Barnes and Theo Ratliff. That's three tough, hard workers who give us two things we haven't had on the bench:

Tough, hard nosed, but most importantly competent defense.
With Steve Blake, a smart decision maker to move the ball around and spot up.

Steve Blake - Shannon Brown - Matt Barnes - Lamar Odom - Theo Ratliff

Lamar or Theo (most likely Lamar) will start until Andrew Bynum gets healthy, but that is a wonderfully balanced and hard working bench.

Rafer17
10-11-2010, 11:12 PM
ROFL!!!!!!!! The Heat!!! Hahahahahah. I swear I burst out laughing when I read that. :laugh: :laugh:

I didn't burst out laughing but I did chuckle to myself. I even lqtm'd for a few seconds.

bbcmillionaire
10-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Isaid it once I'll say it again respect the bucks and the nets benches

G-Bay New J
10-12-2010, 12:10 AM

Word brotha.

davids22
10-12-2010, 12:12 AM

:clap:

ManOnFire
10-12-2010, 12:22 AM

IMO... top 3

Celtics
Lakers

it might be due to the fact that Houston is one of the few teams that give the lakers problems...we'll see how far the machine, brown, ratliff, and walton get the Lakers with an aging/injured Kobe and injured bynum.

VinceCarter
10-12-2010, 12:25 AM

They definitely need some respect. I'm lovin this team right now.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-12-2010, 12:25 AM
The bench that plays the best together.

Raptors have Dorsey, Amir Johnson, Sonny Weems, Barbosa and Jarrett Jack on the bench and they have great chemistry together.

Not saying they are the best but if they fit right and have great chemistry, they will be effective.

beasted86
10-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Denver Nuggets.

Lawson, JR, Balkman, Harrington, Birdman

kblo247
10-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Denver Nuggets.

Lawson, JR, Balkman, Harrington, Birdman

- Bird is out after knee surgery.
- Al will start with K-Mart out for a while after knee surgery.
- JR, well JR can be a damn fool and cause them to win or lose single handedly

beasted86
10-12-2010, 01:31 AM
- Bird is out after knee surgery.
- Al will start with K-Mart out for a while after knee surgery.
- JR, well JR can be a damn fool and cause them to win or lose single handedly

It's pointless to go into details, specifics, and possibilities because they exist for every team. Those 5 players are what was intended to be the Denver Nuggets bench. On paper that is the best bench in the NBA in my opinion. They have athleticism, scoring, and some defense.

Side note: LMAO at anyone who said Heat or Lakers.

yokozuna#1
10-12-2010, 01:33 AM
heat bench hasnt done anything yet so i dont see how they can even be up there

beasted86
10-12-2010, 01:38 AM
heat bench hasnt done anything yet so i dont see how they can even be up there

:facepalm:

Please feel free to mention even 1 bench rotation that has stayed exactly the same from last year in the entire NBA.

kdspurman
10-12-2010, 09:51 AM

San Antonio had one of the most productive benches all of last year. I believe they were the highest scoring in the league. While I agree with you on Orlando being very, and Dallas, I think you're wrong about the Spurs. Tiago is a rookie, but he's not some rookie coming out of college that hasnt played professional ball. And Blair i wouldnt call a poor mans Big baby. His production he puts in in very limited minutes is pretty darn good. If he got the minutes Davis did, (which he might this year) his numbers are easily better. And either Hill or Manu will be coming off the bench and we know what Manu can do and Hill is on the rise. 2nd in most improved last year. But in terms of Blair... Numbers don't lie..

http://www.82games.com/0910/09SAS14.HTM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/blairde01.html

http://www.82games.com/0910/09BOS15.HTM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisgl01.html

JPHX
10-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Big names mean nothing. All depends on chemistry.