PDA

View Full Version : It's only preseason, but anyone realize the Magic beat the Hornets by 54?

D Roses Bulls
10-10-2010, 11:32 PM
I just thought this was something you don't see everyday and wondered if anyone noticed this???

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Magic coach Stan Van Gundy knew Sunday night was special, and the evidence was everywhere: a suit, tie, motivational pregame speech. All atypical Van Gundy.

A preseason game? Please. This one meant more.

And his Magic showed it.

Rashard Lewis, J.J. Redick and Ryan Anderson scored 23 points apiece, and the Magic opened the new Amway Center in style with a 135-81 rout of the New Orleans Hornets on Sunday night.

"I did say in the locker room, very briefly right before we were heading out, that it was a very big night for a lot people in our organization," Van Gundy said. "And we need to honor those people by playing very, very hard. That's all we talked about."

It truly was a grand opening.

Orlando built a big lead from the start to kick off an early celebration that was more than a decade in the making. Van Gundy dressed to impress, played his starters big minutes and did everything possible to treat a capacity crowd to a blowout victory.

"If it takes a new arena to get Stan to wear a suit," Orlando's Dwight Howard said, "we're going to have to get one every year."

Peja Stojakovic had 20 points and Emeka Okafor added 13 points for the Hornets, who lost their second straight preseason game in as many nights. Even though it was a preseason game, they took little comfort such a loss.

"Anytime you get beat by 50, it is not a good look," New Orleans forward Trevor Ariza said.

The Magic took a 17-point lead in the first quarter, went ahead by 28 at halftime and 55 in the fourth quarter. Orlando's three big men -- Howard, Marcin Gortat and Lewis -- led the way from inside and out.

And not in the usual order.

Displaying some of his expanded game, Howard banked some face-up shots off the glass, running hooks and -- of course -- those powerful dunks and soaring blocks. Gortat led the way with fast-break dunks, and Lewis went back to his post-up game to highlight the arena's coronation.

The Hornets didn't have a chance.

"I'm sure the fact that it was a new building, they want to get used to it," Okafor said. "A lot of buzz in the air. The crowd was into it. It all helped them out."

The emotion of having their long-sought dream realized was overwhelming for some Magic executives, bringing tears to the eyes of team president Alex Martins -- who, along with senior vice president Charlie Freeman -- was instrumental in getting the funding for the $480 million arena and making sure every detail was built to sparkle. The Magic contributed almost $100 million.

"I'm overwhelmed because everybody has worked so hard and a lot of people deserve a lot of credit," Martins said before tip-off, his voice cracking. "I just think about the next 50 years and all of the great memories that are going to be created in this building."

The downtown arena is quite a change from the bland facility the Magic vacated a few blocks away.

The new arena -- with 18,500 seats and almost three times the square footage of the old -- also houses the team's practices facilities, two levels of luxury suites, wine bars, beer bars, indoor restaurants, outdoor cafes and even a nightclub. There's a play area for kids, retail outlets, food courts and the NBA's largest video screen.

The one thing missing? An NBA championship banner.

"Our main focus was to bring good energy, to show the crowd all this wasn't for a waste," Anderson said. "We want to bring home a championship."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=301010019

lakers4sho
10-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I didn't realize it because it's a preseason game.

D Roses Bulls
10-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I didn't realize it because it's a preseason game.

yea and when was the last time you seen in a preseason game someone lose by 54?

Raps08-09 Champ
10-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Raptors beat the Suns by 51 I think.

And that's the RAPTORS.

D Roses Bulls
10-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Raptors beat the Suns by 51 I think.

And that's the RAPTORS.

when?

Raps08-09 Champ
10-10-2010, 11:39 PM
when?

Thursday.

It's nothing to be honest. It's preseason. It doesn't have much meaning. All it does is give teams time to gel as a unit for the real season.

dhopisthename
10-10-2010, 11:45 PM
who cares its preseason. The only thing I care about in the preseason is injuries.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2010, 11:45 PM
no team that is attempting to contend for the playoffs should ever lose by 50, regardless of circumstances.

D1JM
10-10-2010, 11:47 PM
yeah... Pre-season: Meaningless. Unless you're a heat fan.. Then your pre-season means everything until you lose to the spurs. Then it is only pre-season.

lol

JRisdabest
10-10-2010, 11:48 PM
the clips so far won by 34 lost by 34 the next game..its the preseason it gonna happen

ShaqShoes
10-10-2010, 11:49 PM
no team that is attempting to contend for the playoffs should ever lose by 50, regardless of circumstances.
The Suns did too. One of those two will probably make the playoffs. It really is unimportant.

Avenged
10-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Not much to look into here, although losing by 50 should never really happen to ANY professional team, especially one that has Chris Paul in it.

But then again it's only the preseason.

D Roses Bulls
10-10-2010, 11:54 PM
who cares its preseason. The only thing I care about in the preseason is injuries.

well preseason or not, its a 54 point loss......... obviously its only preseason, thats why its in the title, but if it were the lakers or heat that lost or won, most of you would be making a big deal about it.

D Roses Bulls
10-10-2010, 11:54 PM

agreed...... im sure the hornets are a little embarrassed

dwadefan03
10-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Yeah... pre-season: meaningless. Unless you're a Heat fan.. then your pre-season means everything until you lose to the Spurs. Then it is only pre-season.

why are u such a crybaby? get over yourself all you do is say some full-of-crap-comment about the heat in every single one of ur posts.

kArSoN RyDaH
10-11-2010, 12:02 AM
its just preseason so there is no significance. but 54 points is a lot. and i get what youre trying to say but i dont think anyone should look into it that much.

kArSoN RyDaH
10-11-2010, 12:03 AM
why are u such a crybaby? get over yourself all you do is say some full-of-crap-comment about the heat in every single one of ur posts.

do you really read all of his posts? because im sure theyre not all about the heat.

D Roses Bulls
10-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah... pre-season: meaningless. Unless you're a Heat fan.. then your pre-season means everything until you lose to the Spurs. Then it is only pre-season.

lol

D Roses Bulls
10-11-2010, 12:05 AM
its just preseason so there is no significance. but 54 points is a lot. and i get what youre trying to say but i dont think anyone should look into it that much.

oh im not saying anything about looking into it. I know its only preseason, but 54 points is a lot to lose by regardless. I just thought it was unusual. I wasnt trying to read or get anyone to read anything into it.

Sadds The Gr8
10-11-2010, 12:06 AM
we just beat phoenix by 51 like 2 days ago....

D Roses Bulls
10-11-2010, 12:07 AM
we just beat phoenix by 51 like 2 days ago....

see like i said to someone else, i didnt realize that.

kArSoN RyDaH
10-11-2010, 12:08 AM
oh im not saying anything about looking into it. I know its only preseason, but 54 points is a lot to lose by regardless. I just thought it was unusual. I wasnt trying to read or get anyone to read anything into it.

yeaa i just meant in general.

54 points is a lot. cant say i wouldnt be mad if the lakers lost by 54 in a preseason game. regardless of meaning i think a team has to show some sense of pride.

oh well..:o

NYKSpiritBomb
10-11-2010, 12:12 AM

x2

dwadefan03
10-11-2010, 12:27 AM
do you really read all of his posts? because im sure theyre not all about the heat.

i dnt have to read all his posts, but in the dissucssions i go to he always has something negative to say about them. no one even has to provoke this guy he just goes on these spontaneous rants that just dont make any sense

Geargo Wallace
10-11-2010, 12:29 AM
D Rose needs to MOSSSSSSSSSSS!

adidas2307
10-11-2010, 12:39 AM
i dnt have to read all his posts, but in the dissucssions i go to he always has something negative to say about them. no one even has to provoke this guy he just goes on these spontaneous rants that just dont make any sense

You call "Yeah... pre-season: meaningless. Unless you're a Heat fan.. then your pre-season means everything until you lose to the Spurs. Then it is only pre-season." a rant? And it does make sense.

U MAD?

Bullsfan22
10-11-2010, 12:39 AM
who cares it's preseason..

Sadds The Gr8
10-11-2010, 12:57 AM
d rose needs to mosssssssssss!

+1

gbrl
10-11-2010, 12:58 AM
preseason or not 50pt losses shouldnt be happening

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Not much to look into here, although losing by 50 should never really happen to ANY professional team, especially one that has Chris Paul in it.

Nuggets - Hornets playoff game a year ago

kArSoN RyDaH
10-11-2010, 01:08 AM

well then dont make random assumptions about posters based off of one post.

HouRealCoach
10-11-2010, 01:49 AM
I dont think Hornets management does a good job anyway... The Chandler trade(First One), The Okafor Trade, Trading Collison....

This team is becoming LAC 2.0... CP3 is the only good thing they have

Im not surprised... Plus its just a preseason game and MAgic was making all of their threes

Baller1
10-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Pre-season or not, that's still embarrassing.

Avenged
10-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Nuggets - Hornets playoff game a year ago

And that should really never happen, especially when theres a top 5 player on your team. It's unacceptable.

JnasD
10-11-2010, 02:51 AM
LOL that must be a preseason record to lose like that. The Hornets need to play much better than that though. There are players who are looking to make the team and it looks like none of them showed up.

junion
10-11-2010, 03:30 AM
the lakers beat the warriors by 40+ on day (i think it was like 2005 or something)... the next day, the warriors beat them by 40+

TehSamurai
10-11-2010, 03:43 AM
I could make excuses like "It was the second night of a back-to-back" or "David West didn't play," but I think "It's just preseason" will suffice.

shep33
10-11-2010, 04:16 AM
Preseason... and honestly we have too many of these threads regarding preseason, and too many people overreacting over outcomes. By the pattern we've seen in preseason, the Lakers shouldn't make the playoffs, Blake Griffin is the league MVP, the Raptors are a top team in the east, and the Hornets won't win a game as of this latest result...

People don't understand that preseason has absoultely no impact on the regular season or playoffs... none whatsoever. Teams play in the preseason to do a few things:

-integrate new players into how their system works
-identify who is good enough to make the team
-get people prepared with a game-like atmosphere for the regular season
-work on different offensive sets and defenses

I have never seen so much overreacting over a preseason in any sport and anytime in my life than what I've been seeing on PSD.

Antipod
10-11-2010, 04:29 AM
who cares? only the ones in the regular season/PO count:)

Sandman
10-11-2010, 05:18 AM
I know its just pre-season and I dont want to get excited about the score.

I think Redick played very well, a running off every screen, never stopped moving, stuck to his man like glue and hit shots.

I was impressed by Dwight Howard's passing out of the key. Never seen him do it before. And the plays I saw he hit an open guy fore a good shot.

D Roses Bulls
10-11-2010, 06:09 AM
+1

you probably didnt even know what he meant, lol

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 07:57 AM
the hornets may be in trouble

TheGoodGerman
10-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Says nothing to me. So what ? Hornets looked worse than Magic on paper, before the game, and now ... they proved it. No offense to Hornets-Fans. I don't think it shows what will happen in regular season. And no offense to the Magic, but I would NOT be too happy or enthusiastic about that point difference ... they're a great team with a deep roster, but are still missing a full skilled center. D12 would be even more scary with a more quality offense. And that's what the Magic need, to bring the ring to O-Town. It was no surprise to me that they the smacked New Orleans that way ...

NBAfan47
10-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Yes, he is right. Most of that dude's posts contain Heat hate.

sep11ie
10-11-2010, 08:59 AM
They should get a pre season ring.

Slimsim
10-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Question Did Chris Paul play ?

Scalphunter13
10-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Question Did Chris Paul play ?

yes, the better question is who were the top scores for the magic? Ryan Anderson, JJ and Lewis with 23 pts each. I was at the game, the new arena is unbelievable, the magic's second team played most of the game, they looked pretty deep.

Geargo Wallace
10-11-2010, 10:07 AM
you probably didnt even know what he meant, lol

Ya he did. We boys.

king4day
10-11-2010, 10:11 AM
It's a lot, but even the Suns lost by 51. Hasn't made us feel this season is lost. It's only a few games into the preseason. Both the Hornets and Suns have a lot of new pieces that they are acclimating. Plus, you are playing a bunch of guys who are likley not going to be in the NBA this season.
The Suns went on to beat Dallas the following game.
Sure they didn't have Dirk or Terry, but neither does Toronto.

saintl2510
10-11-2010, 10:27 AM
that goes to show you that the hornets will underachieve this season

MiamiLoyal926
10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
The question is.... did NO play their starters as much as Orlando? If Orlando ran their winning rotation to impress and reward their fan base and management as a thank you for the stadium and NO didn't, then you are comparing apples to oranges. None the less, that is a very bad loss no matter what. You are an nba team with nba caliber players.

Edit: looked at their box scores and both teams ran their starters about the same. I know Orlando had more inspiration and motivation to play hard, but there is no excuse in any game to lose like that with your starters on the floor for that long.

As for that heat comment earlier by tangent12, check the box score and look at the minutes. Only two of the big three played and only played for 12 minutes each. As for the rest of our top 8 man rotation, the inactive list consisted of Wade, M. Miller, Haslem, Chalmers, and Arroyo. And our top two centers played only 4 minutes ( Anthony) and 12 minutes (Ilgauskas).

The spurs starters all played and averaged 20 minutes amongst all. As opposed to our 1st and 2nd string, which was limited to only lebron, bosh, Anthony and ilgauskas at an average of 12 minutes. In addition, the majority of the game for the heat was carried by third stringers and soon to be cut players.

As stated during my NO/Orlando argument, there is no sense in arguing comparisons of apples to oranges. Furthermore, there in so sense in making regular season judgments on teams who do not both compete at full click.

leoncito
10-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Says nothing to me. So what ? Hornets looked worse than Magic on paper, before the game, and now ... they proved it. No offense to Hornets-Fans. I don't think it shows what will happen in regular season. And no offense to the Magic, but I would NOT be too happy or enthusiastic about that point difference ... they're a great team with a deep roster, but are still missing a full skilled center. D12 would be even more scary with a more quality offense. And that's what the Magic need, to bring the ring to O-Town. It was no surprise to me that they the smacked New Orleans that way ...

I guess having the best center in the league isn't good enough who should we trade him for genius.:facepalm:

Ace33Bone
10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Just like the Raptors vs Suns game and the FC Barcelona vs Lakers game I do not really look too far into this because it is still a preseason game... but at the same time I have to give it to the Magic they looked really impressive

saintdrew
10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't look into this at all.

Suns lost by a big margin,
Lakers lost to FC Barcelona,
Hornets lose to a team that's supposed to be competing for the Eastern Conference Title.

Big F-Ing Deal....

If a 50+ point loss occurs in the regular season then it would be appropriate for you to make a thread about this. Otherwise, I think you're just looking for something to talk about.

CHANGO
10-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Preseason... and honestly we have too many of these threads regarding preseason, and too many people overreacting over outcomes. By the pattern we've seen in preseason, the Lakers shouldn't make the playoffs, Blake Griffin is the league MVP, the Raptors are a top team in the east, and the Hornets won't win a game as of this latest result...

People don't understand that preseason has absoultely no impact on the regular season or playoffs... none whatsoever. Teams play in the preseason to do a few things:

I have never seen so much overreacting over a preseason in any sport and anytime in my life than what I've been seeing on PSD.

This...

Byronicle
10-11-2010, 11:58 AM

steve nash lost by 51, im pretty sure nash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cp3 anyday and phoenix>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hornets

well why u wastin ur time responding to his crap. if he was so full of it then just ignore or ur gonna get skid marks all over your lips

see like i said to someone else, i didnt realize that.

u didnt realize because it was preseason

saintdrew
10-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Yeah close this thread. We have our answer right here ^. :clap:

Avenged
10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
steve nash lost by 51, im pretty sure nash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cp3 anyday and phoenix>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hornets

Well you're pretty wrong because CP3 is better than Nash.

If you compare CP3 last time he was healthy, to Nash.. You'll clearly find who's the greater player.

But since you think Nash is waaaay beyond Chris Paul, and the Suns are waaaaay better than the Hornets.. It makes the Suns loss that much more unacceptable.

Anyways, like I said, it's only the preseason, so there's not much to look into here.

Hawkeye15
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM

well why u wastin ur time responding to his crap. if he was so full of it then just ignore or ur gonna get skid marks all over your lips

u didnt realize because it was preseason

did you just say Nash is far better than CP3?

Hurricane H
10-11-2010, 01:53 PM
So when is the PRE-SEASON Championship? I don't want to miss this exciting game of PRE-SEASON.

You guys are funny.

saintdrew
10-11-2010, 02:13 PM
So when is the PRE-SEASON Championship? I don't want to miss this exciting game of PRE-SEASON.

You guys are funny.

This is purely a baiters thread. Posters looking to argue with people. That simple.

D Roses Bulls
10-11-2010, 04:06 PM
This is purely a baiters thread. Posters looking to argue with people. That simple.

so its baiting to point out the magic beat the hornets by a pretty unusual score? :confused: please explain how this is a baiters thread, I would love to hear this one.

RollinDeep
10-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Like an earlier post, Hornets lost by 50+ to the Nuggets in a PLAYOFF game.

So a 50 point loss in preseason is just par for the course yeah?

Rivera
10-11-2010, 04:23 PM
stan van genius

xxcubs22xx
10-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Preseason or not, you should definitely not lose an NBA game by 54. Thats just straight up BAD.

I feel bad for CP3.

AirJordanMJ23
10-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Preseason or not, you should definitely not lose an NBA game by 54.

I just agree...

...DAYYYYUM... by 54 points.. that is hell of a win.. too bad for CP3, Peja & The Gang... :dance:

xxcubs22xx
10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I just agree...

...DAYYYYUM... by 54 points.. that is hell of a win.. too bad for CP3, Peja & The Gang... :dance:

Yeah, and Orlando shot 65% from the field. You can't let opponents shoot that well no matter what. Defense wins games...Lack of defense will make you lose a sh1t ton of them.

Slimsim
10-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah, and Orlando shot 65% from the field. You can't let opponents shoot that well no matter what. Defense wins games...Lack of defense will make you lose a sh1t ton of them.

Actually offense win games. Defense wins championships.