PDA

View Full Version : Players who you respect the most

kArSoN RyDaH
10-10-2010, 02:12 AM
which player in the nba do you respect the most and why?

Wiz kids
10-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Kevin Durant. As much as I wanted him to leave and come back home to D.C., he showed his loyalty and will be in it for the long haul in Oklahoma.

John Walls Era
10-10-2010, 02:17 AM
Steve Nash and Yao because they do a lot of charity work. And not just donating money, but they really care about the less fortunate.

_KB24_
10-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Kobe- His work ethic is second to none, maybe ever.
Durant- Seems to be Jesus. Is he ever going to slip up? :o
Nash- From my yearly visits to Vancouver, the guy has done a TON of work up their and is looked up to by everyone.
Dwight- Another real humble cat
Jarret Jack- Met this guy in Toronto and he was so friendly and down-to-earth, he hooked me up with free tickets and came too see me at the game as well. Real cool guy and respect him a lot for being so laid back.

tangent12
10-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Derrick Rose and Noah.

And I have absolutely no respect for anyone else in the league except Nash (and all the Bulls players of course).

shep33
10-10-2010, 02:33 AM
They don't play anymore but, Dikembe and Hakeem... love how these guys help others in need, nothing better than that.

Guys playing right now... Kobe, cause he seems to be the last "old-school" type of superstar in this league.

Nash because his loyalty to franchises that treat him good.

Grant Hill for never giving up, and could've easily called it quits after those injuries.

Durant for being a humble superstar.

Tim Duncan for being a class act and possibly the most quiet superstar in the history of the game. Doesn't say much, but is well spoken and just dominates on the court.

Ron Artest for seeking psychiatric help... i just love Ron.

ink
10-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Now: Nash, Duncan, Hill, Howard, Gasol, Ray Allen, Durant.

Before: Magic, Russell, Kareem, Ainge, Kerr, Barkley, Hakeem.

BaustinSali08
10-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Grant Hill

Ovratd1up
10-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Chris Richards.

NBAfan47
10-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Dwyane Wade, Alonzo Mourning, Tim Duncan, and Steve Nash.

All time: Hakeem Olajuwon (Talk about a pure class act, a perfect gentleman.)

LakersMaster24
10-10-2010, 03:33 AM
I will try to use no Lakers players in this one.

Kevin Durant - At this young age his not cocky, really humble and laid back.
Kevin Garnett - as much as a dirty player he is, he earned my respect when he was in Minny and the kind of leadership he has, and how hard he works day in and day out.
Tim Duncan - Being one of the greatest big men to ever play he doesnt really become cocky couse of that, even after playing for so many years ( unlike this Big Shamrock in Celtics guy or w.e his name is...)

D-Will4Prez
10-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Tim Duncan. There's a reason they call him "The Big Fundamental", he plays the game how it's supposed to be played, he's not a shooter and isn't overly athletic/strong but he gets the job done like very few others ever could. Classy guy.

BirdIsTheWord
10-10-2010, 04:12 AM
Chauncey Billups, good basketballer and seems like a genuinely nice guy

Kashmir13579
10-10-2010, 04:32 AM
Rondo
he's dirty, he's gritty, he's cheap; whatever you want to call it, he wants to win, and he plays the best defense in basketball. can't wait to see him taking over games this year.

D Roses Bulls
10-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Now: Nash, Duncan, Hill, Howard, Gasol, Ray Allen, Durant.

Before: Magic, Russell, Kareem, Ainge, Kerr, Barkley, Hakeem.

no jordan???? and you put kerr on the list over him? :facepalm: wow......

Bullsfan22
10-10-2010, 04:40 AM
This won't be popular but Lebron is a player you have to respect. he's a great basketball player and a class act off the court. Most of todays athletes wouldn't be able to handle the stardom he has gained without getting into some kind of trouble.

Antipod
10-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Steve Nash... would`ve loved for him to play for Knicks for at least 1-2 years ...

D Roses Bulls
10-10-2010, 04:46 AM
This won't be popular but Lebron is a player you have to respect. he's a great basketball player and a class act off the court. Most of todays athletes wouldn't be able to handle the stardom he has gained without getting into some kind of trouble.

a guy who dances during games and picks fights with players who are resting on the bench is a class act??? as a bulls fan, you should know better

jimbobjarree
10-10-2010, 04:57 AM
Timmy D, everything you want from a player

Bullsfan22
10-10-2010, 05:27 AM
a guy who dances during games and picks fights with players who are resting on the bench is a class act?http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135?? as a bulls fan, you should know better

If you read my post correctly you would see that when I referred to him being a class act I was talking about off the court. Not much people remain civil when in the Kind of lime light he's been in since he stepped foot on an NBA court.

I read you're post and you gave someone a face palm for not mentioning MJ? Seriously he's the Goat BUT he was NO ANGEL off or on the court. So Lebron danced and maybe talking crap? Who cares MJ picked fights and talked crap to players all the time. If it wasn't for guys like oak, Bill, and Horace MJ probably would have gotten slaughtered for all the crap he talked. As a Bulls fan you should know better.

someone dances on your home court make him stop doing it by playing him tougher.

29$JerZ
10-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Jamal Crawford. Did some good work for charity in NY and seems to be a classy guy.

TheWatcher34
10-10-2010, 06:09 AM
i respect Dirk for the fact that he doesnt play because of the money.

mynameismo
10-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Steve Nash, Grant Hill and Ray Allen

Raidaz4Life
10-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Kevin Durant easily, the guy is my hero. I hope he never lets the fame get to his head.

Jemikz9Clutch
10-10-2010, 07:41 AM
michael jordan. there i said it.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Larry Bird was my all time favorite

netsgiantsyanks
10-10-2010, 10:11 AM
kevin durant:just down to earth, laid back, cool guy
steve nash:funny, smart, and his presence on the court makes his team better. just ask amare stoudemaire. :rolleyes:
dwight howard:just a funny, cool guy.

MrfadeawayJB
10-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Now: Kevin Durant (humble, good teammate, loyal to okc)

Before: Reggie Miller (He is a super nice guy, he talked to me on twitter, and he is loyal to indiana.)

netsgiantsyanks
10-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Jamal Crawford. Did some good work for charity in NY and seems to be a classy guy.

:pity:

eXpLiiCt
10-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Kevin dURANT

Sly Guy
10-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Nash- From my yearly visits to Vancouver, the guy has done a TON of work up their and is looked up to by everyone.
Jarret Jack- Met this guy in Toronto and he was so friendly and down-to-earth, he hooked me up with free tickets and came too see me at the game as well. Real cool guy and respect him a lot for being so laid back.

that's pretty cool.

ManningToTyree
10-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Tim Duncan. The most humble superstar on planet Earth

Stuckey#3
10-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Kobe (in the last few years) because he has really matured and succeeded amidst the overhype of other players. Ben Wallace, because he is just a bad dude and is always willing to mentor younger players. Kevin Durant, because he hasn't punked out on his team and seems to genuinely care about winning; he also emulates good sportsmanship.

adidas2307
10-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Eddy Curry.
Ron Artest.
Gilbert Arenas.
Portland Jail Blazers.
Delonte West.
Bill Walton.

kjoke
10-10-2010, 11:37 AM
all because they all can whoop my ***

CHANGO
10-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I will write the names of the players who earned my respect, playing on the court, because I can not see outside nor the know to see if they are good people or not. But inside the court, with their actions.

Kevin Durant
Steve Nash
Chauncey Billups
RIP Hamilton
Prince
Rodney Stuckey
Anderson Varejao
Ilgauzkas
Dwyane Wade
Lebron James
Dirk
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
etc...
EDIT: Udonis Haslem, CP3

Hero93
10-10-2010, 11:45 AM
durant
dirk
wall
arenas BEFORE the gun accident and how he is trying to change himself post gun accident

FadeAwayLikeMJ
10-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Walter Ray Allen

class act

Gators123
10-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Ben Wallace
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Antonio Mcdyess

Cano4prez
10-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Currently: Udonis Haslem, KD, Wade, Timmy D, and Ray Allen

VinceCarter
10-10-2010, 01:29 PM

:speechless: That's awesome!!

Chacarron
10-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Steve Nash and Antonio McDyess.

Avenged
10-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Tim Duncan.

I think everyone (if they have a list of respect) should have Duncan at the top of the list. He's a champion/proven winner, keeps to himself, and stays humble throughout. Durant looks to be headed in the same direction, all he needs is some championships.

JakeDelbreezy
10-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Gerald Wallace, guy plays hard no matter the score and does as much charity work in the community as any athlete in the Carolinas.

LeBitteNoir
10-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Dwyane Wade
LeBron James
Chris Bosh
Mike Miller

D Roses Bulls
10-10-2010, 02:17 PM
If you read my post correctly you would see that when I referred to him being a class act I was talking about off the court. Not much people remain civil when in the Kind of lime light he's been in since he stepped foot on an NBA court.

I read you're post and you gave someone a face palm for not mentioning MJ? Seriously he's the Goat BUT he was NO ANGEL off or on the court. So Lebron danced and maybe talking crap? Who cares MJ picked fights and talked crap to players all the time. If it wasn't for guys like oak, Bill, and Horace MJ probably would have gotten slaughtered for all the crap he talked. As a Bulls fan you should know better.

someone dances on your home court make him stop doing it by playing him tougher.

wait wait wait...... he picked fights with his teammates in practice and he did that when they werent practicing or playing hard. now why is that a problem? one of those guys he got into a bad fight with was steve kerr and if you noticed kerr was at MJ's hall of fame ceremony. now if he's a player jordan picked on in practice respected him enough to be there then why would a fan not respect him the most out of anybody in the NBA? the guy played hard all the time, won the franchise 6 championships, didnt dance on the floor during games, respected the game on and off the court. oh and talking crap was part of the game, the nicest guys in the game talk crap. and most of those guys that started it were the guys like starks, riley, miller, russel, and so on. why do you think jordan would have his biggest games against those guys? I dont know how you can be a fan of the game and not respect the guy. if it wasnt for him, basketball would not be no where near as popular as it is today and since he retired it still hasnt been as popular as it was. so think about that. oh and by the way, jordan is the only player to have his number retired by another franchise he didnt even play for. thats how much he is respected.

Korman12
10-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Shane Battier, Ben Wallace, Ray Allen, Brandon Roy, Kevin Durant, Grant Hill

Khalifa21
10-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Tim Duncan and Chris Paul.

I also respect LeBron a huge amount, but he's probably the last person to be mentioned in this thread.

bahama0811
10-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Kevin Durant
Chauncey Billups

KeepMonta#8
10-10-2010, 03:29 PM
d-wade. chris paul, steve nash, udonis haslem , steph curry

ink
10-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Chauncey Billups, good basketballer and seems like a genuinely nice guy

Agreed. Forgot him.

camador22
10-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Lebron, for leaving millions and his home for his desire to win.

Avenged
10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Derek Fisher as well, he isn't a superstar but I respect what he's done for the Lakers organization and everything he had to go through concerning his daughter.

Storch
10-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Dfish

Wilson
10-10-2010, 07:07 PM
There are a lot of great guys and hard workers in the NBA so I will forget some here :p

The first one that always comes to mind for me is Tim Duncan. I admire how he has been so successful but has continued to value humility. Kevin Durant appears to be going in the same direction which is great.

Someone mentioned Ron Artest for seeing a psychiatrist, I second this. He did some terrible things in the past but he worked to make himself a better person, I really do respect him for that. I also respect and like him for not being afraid to show his pure joy at winning a championship, it wasn't toned down like a lot of other things in sports in these times.

This one is going to hurt: The Celtics, because despite the modern rules they're not afraid to get in your face and push you around. I prefer to see a really physical, hard fought slug-fest than 48 minutes of lay-up drills. Just to be clear though, I respect them, I do not like them...:p

asandhu23
10-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Erving, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Monta Ellis

TylerSL
10-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Duncan-The guy is arguably the best PF of all time and the most respectful player in the NBA

Kobe-I dont like him, but I respect him. He does have 5 rings.

Nash-A true Hard A

Garnett-Probably the toughest player in the NBA IMO

B. Wallace-One of the best defenders all time IMO

Lebron-accually leaving his home state and having everybody hate him for a chance to win, do you know how hard that would be?

Allen-One of the greatest 3 point shooter ever (IMO its either him or Nash)

Wade-the guy is one of the most respectable and respectful players in the league

James Posey-Very hard worker and clutch 3 point shooter

Udonis Halsem-The guy is one of the hardest workers in the NBA, and has taken less money at leat 2 times to stay with his team.

btw this is in no particular order

LeBitteNoir
10-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Lebron, for leaving millions and his home for his desire to win.

:clap::clap::clap:

zambo4president
10-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant and Scottie Pippen.

Baller1
10-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Shane Battier, Ben Wallace, Ray Allen, Brandon Roy, Kevin Durant, Grant Hill

Pretty nice list right here.

I'd throw in LeBron as well.

CityofChaos
10-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Respect: Kevin Durant

Don't Respect: Stephen Jackson

OA SLAY
10-11-2010, 03:02 AM
rasheed wallace...classy as can be

dodie53
10-11-2010, 03:25 AM
nash
and
hill

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm sorry but I can respect Kobe the player but not Kobe the man. I'll go with Ray Allen and Steve Nash.

TheGoodGerman
10-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Definitely: Dirk Nowitzki (if it's about active players)

I just realize that I have way more respect for players from the past, than for players from the present though ...

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I think that people are finding that they admire more people from the past than now because their is more of a focus on individual play in today's game. Also, info is much more readily available so players nowadays can't hide anything they have done

Ace33Bone
10-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Kevin Durant- Finds a way to stay away from all of the glamour and glitz and focuses on what really matters to him which is the game of basketball

JayW_1023
10-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Chauncey Billups, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Kevin Durant, Shane Battier, Yao Ming, Pau Gasol, Steve Nash, Derek Fisher.

Just classy guys who do whatever it takes to win and don't worry about numbers.

Dnovakovic099
10-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Steve Nash - Toughness/Charity
Yao Ming - Charity
Kobe - Toughness
Duncan/Dirk - Both took pay cuts to improve their team and both love the game.
All time favorite Vlade Divac - A ton of humanitarian charity work. Plus, just to see what other players that played with him used to say and still do about him is amazing. The first thing that they all mention is a friend. This guy is just a good person. I have not come across anything negative he has done, besides smoke two packs a day and drink a ton of liquor and still be a starting center in the NBA. lol

Double_R
10-11-2010, 11:57 AM
To those who keep saying Grant Hill, WRONG....I met Grant Hill, one of the biggest douches ever... I thought he would be cool and super nice, but he sucked... Steve Franchise was cool(not wasted), him, DH, and Pat Garrity. They came and sat next to me and a few of my boys at a bar/restaurant in Jacksonville; Stevie was talking about dunking on people and how Dwight was an athletic freak and cracking jokes about Garrity for renting a mini van that they all came in. DH and Garrity were both talking and joking as well. Then there was Grant Hill, who was like "stop talking to these dudes, I'm too cool to look your direction, just acted like a tool. He sucks.

Knickfan78
10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
John Starks. The man was bagging groceries before he made it to the NBA

Scalphunter13
10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Shaq because of his hatred for Chris Bosh, the RuPaul of basketball. Seriously since when did Chris Bosh become cool.

dnewguy
10-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Wade, Lebron and Bosh for taking less pay to be on a contending team. Kobe and Shaq couldn't sacrifice a dollar.

Double_R
10-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Wade, Lebron and Bosh for taking less pay to be on a contending team. Kobe and Shaq couldn't sacrifice a dollar.

HAHA, yea they really sacrificed... they won't get any attention or endorsements for joining forces...I bet losing out on the max 125mil and just taking a 110 mil contract really hurt them... good post broski

http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2010/09/chris-boshs-new-12-million-house-in-miami-pics/

http://www.mediatakeout.com/42310/dayummmm_check_out_lebrons_new_big_house____with_l ong_hallways____its_got_11_bathrooms_so_he_can_st_ all_day.html

dnewguy
10-11-2010, 03:02 PM
HAHA, yea they really sacrificed... they won't get any attention or endorsements for joining forces...I bet losing out on the max 125mil and just taking a 110 mil contract really hurt them... good post broski

http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2010/09/chris-boshs-new-12-million-house-in-miami-pics/

http://www.mediatakeout.com/42310/dayummmm_check_out_lebrons_new_big_house____with_l ong_hallways____its_got_11_bathrooms_so_he_can_st_ all_day.html

Would you leave 15 million on the table? Sorry, I meant 15 dollars.

AirJordanMJ23
10-11-2010, 05:20 PM
If I respect a player, I respect him as a man, but for his playing abilities as well..
I respect players that aren't the "I'm famous, Imma **** all the b*tches in NYC/LA", but they are just normal and they play the game for the passion...

Inactives: Kareem, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Stockton..
Actives: Durant, Shaq, Wade

Why them? Kareem was a "Mr. Player" type.. the one that had the respect, but he respected others as well.. Magic was a crazy famous type a bit, but I respect him just for the things he did for Lakers, for the loyalty to the team, for the passion presented on the floor.. the same about Larry.. well he wasn't the crazy type, but he was hell of a player... Jordan was the same like Kareem.. Stockton.. the same like Kareem & MJ

The actives? Why Durant? He has the fame, and everything, but he wants to develop himself into a multiple MVP on the first place, and money, contracts, everything is on the second place. He has the loyalty for the team, which I strongly respect.

Shaq is a legend. I respect legends like him. Wade is/was (before LBJ came in) a fame type Miami role model, but he is a good guy... Not the one that gets drunk and smashes the city, not the one driving high on the highway.. you know what I mean.. and he is a really good player.. I was born in Miami (I live in Europe), and I just know that the city loves him and we, Miami fans would be more sad if Wade goes anywhere, than if LBJ, Bosh, Z, Spo' and the guys go away..

That is my opinion guys ^_^

DenButsu
10-11-2010, 05:43 PM
To sum it up in one sentence, I'd say they're the guys who work their ***es off and don't squander or take for granted the extraordinary gifts and good fortune they're so lucky to have.

Right now the player who tops this list for me is Arron Afflalo.

Basketash
10-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Tim Duncan
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Garnett
Gilbert Arenas
Ben Wallace
Ron Artest
Brandon Roy
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant

DoJoTheSlasher
10-11-2010, 06:05 PM

At what point in your life will you be in the situation to get 15 mil? 1 mil? 500 k?

LeBron gets 15 mil for walking up to a McDonalds, I'm sure he can live without that extra 15mil........

And since when does the 5th best PF need a house that good? Do something on the court before buying that nice of a house.

ManRam
10-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Tim Duncan is THE answer to this question.

I also respect the **** out of Grant Hill. I've actually met Grant too, and have a very differing opinion than Double R.

Gators123
10-11-2010, 06:17 PM

I also respect the **** out of Grant Hill.

Another good one.

8kobe24
10-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I respect hard work and dedication, so I respect any player who will bust their arses just to be the best/champs.

DMasta718
10-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Steve Nash
Shane Battier
Tim Duncan
John Starks
Ron Artest
Sebastian Telfair

I know I'm missing some but this is just some off the top.

ChiSox219
10-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Robert Horry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdik09RGJI

footballer2369
10-11-2010, 06:53 PM
At what point in your life will you be in the situation to get 15 mil? 1 mil? 500 k?

LeBron gets 15 mil for walking up to a McDonalds, I'm sure he can live without that extra 15mil........

And since when does the 5th best PF need a house that good? Do something on the court before buying that nice of a house.

:clap:

I am now enlightened...

lakers4sho
10-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher

Rego247
10-11-2010, 07:31 PM
steve nash. the most down to earth guy in the league.

BirdIsTheWord
10-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Denver fans will know what i'm talking about when i say Arron Afflalo. Really worked hard this offseason, the guy just wants to play ball.

jiggin
10-11-2010, 08:40 PM
any player that doesn't act like a thug, treats it like a job and then stays out of the headlines for negative reasons.

its a small list. :(

DreamShaker
10-11-2010, 08:43 PM
I respect Nash a whole lot. He is a class act and a guy who has worked tirelessly to hone his craft.

Same with Duncan. He is one of the greatest ever but you rarely hear anything out of him. He played all 4 years at Wake Forrest and has stayed with the Spurs his entire career. Also, a buddy of mine used to work for the Spurs as a ball boy and said Duncan was the nicest guy you would ever want to meet.

I respect Durant for the way he presents himself. He comes off as very humble and team oriented. He's what America would like every young superstar to be ideally...even though they love to complain about guys like Kobe and Lebron who are percieved as selfish and arrogant.

Of guys in the past...I respect no superstars any more than Dikembe, Hakeem, and David Robinson. 3 humble men of faith and selflessness. Pillars in the community and charitable, giving dudes. Worked hard on the court and never caused any issues. Well, when Hakeem was Akeem he had a bit of an attitude, but we all know the man he seemingly has become. Helping out guys like Yao, Kobe, Howard, and others just as Moses Malone and others did for him.

Role players I respect-
Luis Scola- Loyalty and constant hustle and effort.

Shane Battier- From what i've seen from him, classy guy who is much more than just a "jock". Smart and humble guy with solid perspective.

Tony Massenburg-Never minded being on a different team every few months and played his heart out for all of them.

Malik Rose- Heard he was one of the nicest guys in his era.

Horace Grant- Same. Plus he was a huge talent who never minded taking a back seat to guys like Shaq, Kobe, and MJ.

Sean Elliot- Many trials in his life but never failed to overcome them and be a truly likeable guy.

LayZbone
10-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Dwyane Wade, Alonzo Mourning, Udonis Haslem. The great true warriors in HEAT history.

Scalphunter13
10-11-2010, 10:37 PM

obviously your not aware that Florida doesn't have state income tax, now I'm not going to do the math but I'm sure they will make the same if not more after taxes playing in Florida.

Zefflin
10-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Nash, Timmy D, Kobes, Paul Pierce, J Kidd...to name a few

Rafer17
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
[Old veteran here]

PurpleJesus
10-11-2010, 11:51 PM
kobe

CB29
10-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Jermaine o Neal... He knocked a dude out on an nba court. but i guess thats a different type of respect...

Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, Pierce, Garnett --> Dude played ball to feed his family when he was young... & The big Fundamental

k24springs
10-12-2010, 01:15 AM
Dwight Howard - he always has a smile on his face I never seen a guy of his size, strength, and speed dominate on the court and he still is smiling even though lately he's pretty serious.

Kobe Bryant: Love him or hate him he is probably the most skilled player in the league today every year he always seem to add something different to his game. Not to mention he played with a broken pinkie, a bum knee and ankle, and he still dropped 27 points a game last season. Any person who plays through those injuries is a guy you have to respect.

Derrick Rose: He is like the silent assassin on the court he never changes expressions on the court. He is humble and he has a chance to be the best PG in the coming years.

Manu Ginobilli: I have never seen a player of his caliber play with the kind of passion that he does. He hustles, he plays through injuries, he will do whatever it takes to win even weaving his way through a defense and finish over a seven footer. Oh and he's the first in history to win a gold medal and a NBA championship as well the guy is a straight winner.

Kevin Durant: Even though he says that he is not the Anti-LeBron he is the Anti-LeBron if you know what I mean. He never gets to high on himself he is alot like Tim Duncan with the quiet demeanor but, this guy has the killer instinct and the NBA is in pretty good shape with D12 and KD. I just love watching this guy play.

Fireworld
10-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Duncan, Kidd, Kobe, Nash. The rest is cheese./

swaddell13
10-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Magic Johnson, Steve Nash, Grant Hill

edit: oh and Bird, Jordan and Kobe deserve a hat tip as well ;)

Fireworld
10-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Dwyane Wade, Alonzo Mourning, Udonis Haslem. The great true warriors in HEAT history.

:pity:

Double_R
10-12-2010, 11:47 AM

I also respect the **** out of Grant Hill. I've actually met Grant too, and have a very differing opinion than Double R.

Really, I just don't get what is to respect; ok say I did catch him on a bad night, even though the rest of the stars were cool as could be; but he also left the Magic in a terrible situation, by sitting on the bench just collecting all of our cap, but I can even look past that bc stuff happens, but then as soon as he got healthy, he bailed on the Magic, a team that paid him 100 million to sit on the bench and he can't even stay for a similar deal to what the Suns offered him. I laugh every year when I see we are better than the Suns because of Grant Hill leaving us after we did so much for him and he did absolutely nothing for us. Also, I had a friend that used to valet at this nice hotel/restaurant downtown Orl and he said that Grant was always short and not real friendly. What is it that makes you respect Grant Hill so much?????

heatbb
10-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Nash, Grant Hill and Alonzo Mourning. They all do much more than they're expected to.(not just donating money, but actually taking care of the lesser) And that's why I respect them.

disgruntledbull
10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
luol deng. the work he does in sudan is awesome

DenButsu
10-12-2010, 06:58 PM
luol deng. the work he does in sudan is awesome

Very true. I've said a lot through all the Melo rumors that I don't want the Nuggets to take on his contract, but in terms of character, he's one of the highest quality of character guys in the league for sure, a true humanitarian.

Gators123
10-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm not a big fan of Charlie Villanueva on the court, but off of the court he does a lot of charity work. I read this on fanhouse...

Villanueva has alopecia areata, a skin disorder that effects millions of Americans. Before each game, Charlie talks to young kids who suffer from the same disorder and goes out of his way to inspire them.

It's pretty cool he meets with kids before every game in every city. You don't hear about many athletes that do that.

heathonater
10-12-2010, 08:34 PM
for a non blazer player i respect kobe the most. although im not a huge fan of his, he does his business in the right way. he's become much more of a team player in these past few years and his work ethic is second to none.

Evolution23
10-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Lebron cause hes the most humble player.

Patsfreak1776
10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
As a Celtics fan I hate to say this...Kobe. He's stayed true to LA.
Shaq. The guy has done a lot of good in this world.
KG. He comes to play every night. Never a half hearted effort.

Forbo
10-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Grant Hill = class act

smiddy012
10-12-2010, 10:59 PM
For a non-Bull, I want to say Deron Williams, but that is still a homer answer. So I'll go with Nash, first and foremost. I mean I had a dream the other day where I talked to the guy, trying to get him to "collude" in coming in Chicago. It was an odd dream. He seemed to respond positively to the sales pitch though (for what its worth haha).

Oh yeah, plus the guy is as tough as they come, and used to be a soccer player as I once was, so apparently I feel like I know the guy. Seems like a very down to earth type of guy.

Oh yeah and Artest is really cool too. Even when he was having issues he was still a likable and passionate guy/player IMO. Artest kind of reminds me of Rodman, but a lot brighter and better of a human being.

MJ-BULLS
10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
kobe and durant.

Gambeezy
10-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Wade, for staying loyal to Miami when he could have joined his family and a very great, young team in Chicago.

jasondrobinson
10-12-2010, 11:53 PM
the admiral david robinson, thats why he's my favorite player of all time.

John Walls Era
10-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Shaq because of his hatred for Chris Bosh, the RuPaul of basketball. Seriously since when did Chris Bosh become cool.

Its come to this hasn't it....

DenButsu
10-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Wade, for staying loyal to Miami when he could have joined his family and a very great, young team in Chicago.

Ummm... :rolleyes:

When he knew LBJ and Bosh would join him in Miami, there really no longer was any decision to make - it became a no-brainer at that point. If you respect Wade, you respect him, and that's fine of course, but I think he made the easy, not the tough decision, in this case.

o0jmadr0x0o
10-13-2010, 12:11 AM
ginobili, he seems like he is always going all out

SA5195
10-13-2010, 12:15 AM
B-Roy, Kobe, Durant, Grant Hill

krazylegz
10-13-2010, 01:41 AM
kevin durant...dude is top 3 in the league and you wouldnt know it by his attitude..plus he seems loyal to okie city,which is sweet

Mplsman
10-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Kobe Durant Nash

Sadds The Gr8
10-13-2010, 02:25 AM
Delonte West...to get in the pants of your best teammate's mother? have to respect his game.

JRisdabest
10-13-2010, 02:53 AM
delonte west...to get in the pants of your best teammate's mother? Have to respect his game.

amen

Ollie Tabooger
10-13-2010, 09:19 AM
JR Smith because he's a good role model.

Unruly Fan
10-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Tim Duncan.

I think everyone (if they have a list of respect) should have Duncan at the top of the list. He's a champion/proven winner, keeps to himself, and stays humble throughout. Durant looks to be headed in the same direction, all he needs is some championships.

I think Durant is way to young to make that kind of assumption just yet.

ManRam
10-13-2010, 10:24 AM
I think 4-5 years ago, many of us would have said the same thing about LeBron that we are saying now about Durant. He was very soft-spoken, humble and seemed to be the consummate teammate. Now, everyone's opinions have changed. Let's crown Durant when he deserves it, not after 3 years in the NBA.

CostanzaNumba0
10-13-2010, 10:38 AM
ray allen is the best conditioned athlete ive ever seen, so prob ray, kobe and durant loil @ ppl saying gilbert

Drosethetruth
10-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Manute Bol, not alive anymore but had the heart of a champion and dedicated his life to helping others during and after his career

Lo Porto
10-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I respect LeBron for "The Decision" because he raised so much money for a good cause.

I respect John Stockton most all time because he came to work everyday, never had injuries, was a team guy, gave to the community and never asked for publicity. He was the best true point guard of all time for that reason.

Michael Jordan is the player I least respect in NBA history. 1996-1998 he wouldn't play for the Bulls unless they paid him $36 million each season while Pippen was only making $3. His demand for money has led the NBA to the probable lockout next season because players started making way too much. Star treatment by the refs went from tolerable to out of control in his day. You couldn't look at the guy wrong without sending him to the line. And his HOF Induction showed you how much of a pompous ***** he is. And have you ever heard of MJ making any huge charitable donation although he has more money than he knows what to do with? MJ was a great player, but there is little more reason to respect the guy.

justinnum1
10-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Udonis Haslem. Guy is a warrior and left $$$ on the table. Twice.

jiggin
10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
I respect LeBron for "The Decision" because he raised so much money for a good cause.

I respect John Stockton most all time because he came to work everyday, never had injuries, was a team guy, gave to the community and never asked for publicity. He was the best true point guard of all time for that reason.

Michael Jordan is the player I least respect in NBA history. 1996-1998 he wouldn't play for the Bulls unless they paid him $36 million each season while Pippen was only making $3. His demand for money has led the NBA to the probable lockout next season because players started making way too much. Star treatment by the refs went from tolerable to out of control in his day. You couldn't look at the guy wrong without sending him to the line. And his HOF Induction showed you how much of a pompous ***** he is. And have you ever heard of MJ making any huge charitable donation although he has more money than he knows what to do with? MJ was a great player, but there is little more reason to respect the guy.

wow you hate on jordon...seems you have some bad info on him as well, or at least have formed such a negative opinion that its preventing you from doing any research on the subject.

Michael Jordan is involved with a variety of charities including the Boys' and Girls' Clubs of America, UNCF/College Fund, Special Olympics and a number of other charitable organizations that support children and families.

Read more: http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/527-michael-jordan#ixzz12FlJEdxf

Michael Jordan's Celebrity Golf Helps Charity

Jordan, the Foundationís Chief Wish Ambassador, presented the donation to Make-A-Wish representatives at Kerzner Internationalís Atlantis, Paradise Island resort in the Bahamas last week. The Make-A-Wish Foundation, James R. Jordan Foundation and Butch Kerzner Summit Foundation are the main beneficiaries of the ninth-annual charity golf event, which will distribute more than $500,000 to selected charities this year.

Read more: http://www.looktothestars.org/news/3754-michael-jordans-celebrity-golf-helps-charity#ixzz12FmBIJWJ

Which Athletes Give The Most To Charity?

Michael Jordan: The NBA legend gave $5 million last year to Hales Franciscan High School, a historically black all-boys school in Chicago.

http://www.lifewhile.com/celebrity/18044314/detail.html

Jordan has been involved with numerous charities, including the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, UNCF/College Fund, Special Olympics, and a variety of charitable organizations that support children and families. Michael Jordan also hosts the Michael Jordan Charity International Golf Tournament.

In 1994 Michael Jordan founded the James R. Jordan Boys and Girls Club and Family Life Center, named after his father. The Center, in Chicago, Illinois, opened to the public after receiving a $5 million donation from the Chicago Bulls and a $ 2 million personal donation from Jordan. Every week more than 1,000 people come to the center, from senior citizens to teenagers to toddlers and infants. Some visitors do homework; others play pool, play basketball, or just enjoy relaxing in a safe environment.

Michael Jordan has been honored for his charitable involvement. He was honored by the Jackie Robinson Foundation. The United States Senate also honored him after his retirement, not only for being a great basketball but also for being a goodwill ambassador throughout the world, and his humanitarian efforts.

In addition to his other charitable involvement, various items, including personally autographed Air Jordan shoes have been auctioned off to generate money for charity.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/91308/michael_jordan_the_greatest_basketball.html?cat=14

Michael Jordan and the Charlotte Bobcats are chipping in to ensure kids aren't asked to cover costs to play middle-school sports.

On Monday, the basketball legend pledged $250,000 to the athletic programs of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system, which earlier this year slashed $1.25 million from its annual budget.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/30/michael-jordan-donates_n_699583.html

these are just a few from simply googling the info and looking around.

it would appear Jordan has donated way more than Lebron to charity...

if you think Jordon is a self indulging pompous ego maniac, I would imagine based on the facts that you would hate LBJ more than anyone in the NBA...unless you for some reason have built him up and jordon down based on your personal bias opinion not on facts.

Look it up, it seems somehow when forming your opinion, you were fed bad info or didn't research much.

jiggin
10-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Delonte West...to get in the pants of your best teammate's mother? have to respect his game.

I don't respect anyone that would hook up with a chick like that, she is nasty!

Lets just put it this way...we have seen how "smart" LBJ is, its a good thing for him and his family that he is good at basketball, cause otherwise he would be working at Kenny's shoes; looks and brains don't run in that family.

LBJ is the spokes person for staying in school after HS.

jiggin
10-13-2010, 11:51 AM
did you know that LBJ signed a 110 million dollar contract and he and espn made MILLIONS with his "decision" show...yet he only gave $2 million to charity from that? oh sorry, 3 million if you consider the computer equipment purchased and given to them.

Each club will get 16 Hewlett-Packard computers and an $8,000 credit for Nike fitness and recreation equipment

each boys and girls club will receive around 165,000 a piece.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/10/ne_ohio_boys_and_girls_clubs_t.html

pebloemer
10-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Steve Nash. And not just because he is Canadian.

Loyal teammate.
Invests himself fully in anything he does.
Involved in lots of charity work.
Respectful to others on and off the court.
Wear's his heart on the floor.
Always well conditioned. Works harder than most.

Edit: Not sure if anyone has mentioned Mutombo yet.

Sadds The Gr8
10-13-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't respect anyone that would hook up with a chick like that, she is nasty!

Lets just put it this way...we have seen how "smart" LBJ is, its a good thing for him and his family that he is good at basketball, cause otherwise he would be working at Kenny's shoes; looks and brains don't run in that family.

LBJ is the spokes person for staying in school after HS.

haha his standards might be low as hell, but that's still a pretty big accomplishment if u think about it.

Jarvo
10-13-2010, 01:11 PM
iPicked These Players Because They're Not Cocky, Show Off, Or Really Show That They Are Pissed Off At They're Team, Or Never Really Lash Out.

Nash
Duncan
Dirk
Durant
Wade
KG
Ray Allen
Pierce

tbone2171
10-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Laughing that anyone with a straight face can actually say they truly respect Kobe. Those flying elbows and cheating on your wife are great reasons for respect.

northsider
10-13-2010, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=jiggin;15193737]wow you hate on jordon...seems you have some bad info on him as well, or at least have formed such a negative opinion that its preventing you from doing any research on the subject.

It's funny cause as soon as I read his post I knew it was just a hate post just as you did I simply googled Jordan Charity and you get a **** ton of results. Just cause a rich person doesn't flaunt there generosity or ask for publicity coverage of it doesn't mean they don't do it.

disgruntledbull
10-13-2010, 02:01 PM
tyrus thomas just won a nobel prize for public work as well, the charity work he does is amazing. these are things i respect much more than what they do on the court. much more important to society than playing a game

Klivlend
10-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Laughing that anyone with a straight face can actually say they truly respect Kobe. Those flying elbows and cheating on your wife are great reasons for respect.

Ha. Remember when he used to kick his leg out when he shot to try and draw a foul? That use to piss me off too.

tbone2171
10-13-2010, 02:08 PM
tyrus thomas just won a nobel prize for public work as well, the charity work he does is amazing. these are things i respect much more than what they do on the court. much more important to society than playing a game

Lol..It's not actually a Nobel Prize. It's a Jefferson Award, one the nation's top honors for community service. They call it the "Nobel Prize" of public service. But good for him, that's pretty cool.

Rivera
10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
adam morrison

Lo Porto
10-13-2010, 02:31 PM
wow you hate on jordon...seems you have some bad info on him as well, or at least have formed such a negative opinion that its preventing you from doing any research on the subject.

it would appear Jordan has donated way more than Lebron to charity...

if you think Jordon is a self indulging pompous ego maniac, I would imagine based on the facts that you would hate LBJ more than anyone in the NBA...unless you for some reason have built him up and jordon down based on your personal bias opinion not on facts.

Look it up, it seems somehow when forming your opinion, you were fed bad info or didn't research much.

Good post. He gives more than I've ever seen reported so good for MJ. I'm glad he's doing something with his fortune. So maybe I respect him a smidge more. But I'd still bet that he spends more money gambling than he does on charity. But that might be a bad bet. I'm not sure.

But I still don't have a lot of respect for him due the adoration by the media and fans. He doesn't deserve to be called the best ever and he should be brought up to blame for current labor issues in the league. His greed led to a culture where player salaries are spiraling out of control. MJ was great for the NBA when he played, but he's cursed it since.

disgruntledbull
10-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Good post. He gives more than I've ever seen reported so good for MJ. I'm glad he's doing something with his fortune. So maybe I respect him a smidge more. But I'd still bet that he spends more money gambling than he does on charity. But that might be a bad bet. I'm not sure.

But I still don't have a lot of respect for him due the adoration by the media and fans. He doesn't deserve to be called the best ever and he should be brought up to blame for current labor issues in the league. His greed led to a culture where player salaries are spiraling out of control. MJ was great for the NBA when he played, but he's cursed it since.

joirdan made 90 mil in his career, 66% being his last 2 seasons with the bulls, and if the bulls didnt pay him that, another team would have

jiggin
10-13-2010, 02:54 PM

sorry not going to blame jordon for other athletes being greedy and demanding money.

Who is the best player to play the game in your opinion, if its not jordon? Does money have anything to do with ability and skill? Why does jordan's ability and skill get damaged based on his money and contracts?

Why does his 90 million over his entire career somehow dwarf the 110 million dollar contract over 6 years that LBJ just got? I don't get it.

Speaking of gambling over charity, LBJ had his own casino built into his house...rather than giving to charity. So....

Lebron's new home is under construction. The 35,000 square foot Ohio mansion will reportedly include a casino, two-lane bowling alley, barber shop, aquarium, sports bar and a recording studio.

35,000 sqft is larger than the Best Buy in the same town...to give you some perspective.

he also had a statue chiseled of himself, which includes his headband he wears in games.

not trying to attack you, just don't see the reason for the hate for a player that was amazing yet the free pass for todays misguided thugs who represent the game that Jordan helped put on the map in this day and age of the game.

deaner
10-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I've gotta go with 2 classy guys:

Steve Nash
Anthony Parker

dukejazz
10-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Couldn't of said it better myself. :) Also karl malone i respected alot. Was great teammate and donated alot to charity. Didnt he even give his hall of fame jacket to a kid in a wheelchair?

smiddy012
10-14-2010, 04:50 PM
MJ was a great player, but there is little more reason to respect the guy.

MJ was just great player? How old are you? 15?

You see, a statement like this simply proves you dont know **** about basketball and you never consistently watched the guy play.

I mean MJ was such a show-boater! And OMG all those tatoos! What a thug, the guy wouldnt have come back to basketball/Chicago AFTER HIS FATHERS DEATH if it werent for the money (and to those who say this I say **** you).

Lebron is such a class act compared to MJ! I mean Lebron makes MJ look like a lazy, entitled brat. Lebron is such a hard worker! I mean he's going to win 7+ championships! Me I prefer someone who can talk the talk, who cares if they can walk the walk?

And btw guys, not that you were in the know then, but when MJ was getting paid Buku buck, there wasnt a fan or critic in Chicago who thought he deserved less.

Yeah, I dont respect one of the greatest athletes and hardest workers of all time. Why? Because I suck at my job and have no hops. I have a pathetic life so I rag on one of the most successful athletes in history.

I mean who is on MJs level? Muhammad Ali, Pele, who else? Nobody in basketball, thats for sure.

People just like to hate on Michael because he set the bar for excellence in the NBA, and it will likely never be risen.

smiddy012
10-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Star treatment by the refs went from tolerable to out of control in his day. You couldn't look at the guy wrong without sending him to the line.

So the refs were out of control in his day? Then what are they now? Because it was a tougher league back then in all respects, and when you say "his day," you say it like you weren't there to see it.

And btw there are MANY people Im sure who dont like MJ. But ANYONE who's ever known the guy will tell you they respect him. Youre obviously out of the loop.