PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson's Turkish wishlist. May be ready to sign

spreadeagle
10-10-2010, 12:51 AM
After several months of waiting for a starting gig in the NBA, it appears there’s no market for Allen Iverson in America.

According to Basket Magazine, Turkey might very well be Iverson’s next stop — Besiktas Cola Turka has reportedly made Iverson an offer. The rough translation from The Hoops Market reads, “[The two sides] could be now negotiating the last details of the contract.”

Some reports say the economic terms have already been agreed upon ($1.5-2 million, including large bonuses and a percentage of advertising revenues), and a contract is just undergoing “minor” polishing (AI wants a luxury car, a villa, and to be payed every week, instead of every month).

One of the most dominant players of a generation may soon be taking his talents to the Turkish Basketball League. It’s a changing basketball world, indeed. http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/allen-iverson-headed-to-turkey/

spreadeagle
10-10-2010, 12:53 AM
A.I and his posse kickin it in a Turkish Villa......what a weird scene

Spurred1
10-10-2010, 12:54 AM
You know, I would think that maybe some NBA team would have picked him up by now. There are teams who may be desperate for a scorer.
But at this point, he may be viewed as a player who could come off the bench-and he may see himself differently.

TrueFan420
10-10-2010, 12:55 AM
cant believe this is actually going down... AI playing in turkey.

AI4MVP
10-10-2010, 01:10 AM
so ****ing sad. he said that hed be fine with coming off the bench. if some team picks him up as instant offense off the bench is would be a huge move for that team

ryder78c
10-10-2010, 01:22 AM
my only wish for the blazers is they pickup AI

Camby/Priz eventually Oden/Camby/Priz
LA/Camby/Priz
Batum/Mathews
Roy/AI
Miller/Bayless

Trade Rudy for a PF/C maybe add a 1st and get anthony randolph

Camby/Priz eventually Oden/Camby/Priz
LA/Randolph/Camby
Batum/Mathews
Roy/AI
Miller/Bayless

they wouldnt do it because they'd think AI would ruin team chemistry! but i think he would help

NYKalltheway
10-10-2010, 01:26 AM
Besiktas? Out of all teams possible, Besiktas???? Not even a Euroleague team!! Not even Top 4 in Turkey!!!

That's what you call going down!

Hellcrooner
10-10-2010, 01:46 AM
:facepalm:

he does not even have the guts to join a contender in spain,greece. italy or russia....

btw i give it two months until he bails out of the contract and turkish fans want to make donner kebab with him.

tangent12
10-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Sad.

C-Dub
10-10-2010, 10:40 AM

he does not even have the guts to join a contender in spain,greece. italy or russia....

btw i give it two months until he bails out of the contract and turkish fans want to make donner kebab with him.

HATER ALERT. i dont even know why you come in the AI threads dude, all you do is hate on him, you aint see me in a LBJ or Kobe thread cuz i dont got anything good to say bout them. dang man

C-Dub
10-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Whatever is best for him is what hes gotta do i guess, still hope someone offers him a deal in the NBA before he goes, I aint done watching him quite yet!

Gators123
10-10-2010, 11:54 AM
and to be payed every week, instead of every month

Money problems maybe?

xsilencerx
10-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Iverson should just hang em up

ShaqShoes
10-10-2010, 01:19 PM
HATER ALERT. i dont even know why you come in the AI threads dude, all you do is hate on him, you aint see me in a LBJ or Kobe thread cuz i dont got anything good to say bout them. dang man
Get off his dick already.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Agreed he will not be there the whole season

AI is now a lesser version of Monta Ellis.
And you know how bad monta was last year.

Hustlenomics
10-10-2010, 02:18 PM
how did my post get deleted because I said there would be hate in this thread?

Khalifa21
10-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Poor AI... So horrible to see a guy who was once so great just have his career fizzle out.

Hellcrooner
10-10-2010, 04:02 PM

isnt the thred bout him coming to my continent to play?

and what hate?

im stating an opinion.

AddiX
10-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Poor AI... So horrible to see a guy who was once so great just have his career fizzle out.

I'm a huge AI fan but I realized I can't feel bad for the guy.

If he would accept a lesser role he would be in the NBA. But the guy refuses to do that. I don't hate on him for that, but no one wants him to be a core piece of there team.

If he would accept a 6th man role I guarantee one of the teams that sucks or needs ticket sales would take him on.

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Ohh how the mighty have fallen

Warriors0
10-11-2010, 03:29 PM
yahoo sports reported that allen iverson is close to signing with a team in turkey
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ai1ItYJWx9S6C.j89p9wl50WPKB4?slug=ys-iversonturkey101110

montazingmvp
10-11-2010, 07:32 PM
lol after about 2 months of playing in front of crowds of less than 10 thousand people and little to no mention in the media, iverson will realize that nobody in turkey know's who he is or cares, and he'll come crying back to america, "just let me be your 6th man", to whatever team will listen...

Milos--CCCC
10-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Brian Colangelo BRING HIM TO TORONTO!!

Warriors0
10-11-2010, 09:29 PM
lol after about 2 months of playing in front of crowds of less than 10 thousand people and little to no mention in the media, iverson will realize that nobody in turkey know's who he is or cares, and he'll come crying back to america, "just let me be your 6th man", to whatever team will listen...
hes practically doing that now

NYKalltheway
10-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Nobody knows who he is????

Expect some 10.000 people waiting for his damn airplane to land in Turkey...

montazingmvp
10-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Nobody knows who he is????

Expect some 10.000 people waiting for his damn airplane to land in Turkey...

lol i'd bet you that won't happen...

if they didn't do that for ricardo quaresma or misimovic, they they won't do it for Iverson. Turkey is a soccer/football country...basketball comes second...

dodie53
10-13-2010, 03:24 AM
sad.

NYKalltheway
10-13-2010, 06:55 AM
"One stumbling block to an agreement over the weekend was Iverson’s reluctance to let Besiktas fine him beyond 1 percent of his $1.5 million base salary, a European source told Yahoo! Sports."

:p

(maybe they don't go to airports in Turkey like we do in Greece, I don't know... )

C-Dub
10-13-2010, 09:29 AM
lol i'd bet you that won't happen...

if they didn't do that for ricardo quaresma or misimovic, they they won't do it for Iverson. Turkey is a soccer/football country...basketball comes second...

Who? lol I wont disagree with your statement cuz i know your prolly right, but the only arguement i could make is that AI is a worldwide star, who doesnt know who he is? Like i said tho, just kinda stickin up for both sides on that one

Robbw241
10-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Who? lol I wont disagree with your statement cuz i know your prolly right, but the only arguement i could make is that AI is a worldwide star, who doesnt know who he is? Like i said tho, just kinda stickin up for both sides on that one

Like everyone in Europe doesn't know who he is unless they really follow basketball. I went to Ireland to visit family and they all gave me blank stares when I brought up Derek Jeter :pity:

NYKalltheway
10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Maybe a 2% of Europe follows baseball though.. That might even be a stretch!! I learned who Jeter is from Seinfeld (but didn;t have the resources back then to realize his impact) and from PSD really! I only knew Babe Ruth tbh :p

Basketball is different. Unlike UK & Ireland and Scandinavian countries, most of Europe follows basketball. Either European basketball or NBA/both, they still know the best players of the recent years. For some, Iverson may still be one of the best players in the NBA (coz they've heard of him...) and that's how they'll react if he goes to Turkey!

AsfanSince99
10-13-2010, 02:56 PM
A.I and his posse kickin it in a Turkish Villa......what a weird scene

i hope they don't end up in a turkish prison spread eagle, pun intended. now that would be a weird scene.:clap:

Mplsman
10-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Ai, a Nba career ended too short.

montazingmvp
10-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Maybe a 2% of Europe follows baseball though.. That might even be a stretch!! I learned who Jeter is from Seinfeld (but didn;t have the resources back then to realize his impact) and from PSD really! I only knew Babe Ruth tbh :p

Basketball is different. Unlike UK & Ireland and Scandinavian countries, most of Europe follows basketball. Either European basketball or NBA/both, they still know the best players of the recent years. For some, Iverson may still be one of the best players in the NBA (coz they've heard of him...) and that's how they'll react if he goes to Turkey!

i know you love basketball but you're stretching the truth...basketball is known throughout europe, unlike baseball or A.football but to say most of europe follows basketball is completely wrong. you're from greece? thats one of the biggest basketball countries in europe and soccer is still bigger there...in countries like germany, france, ireland, great britain, sweden, russia basketball is hardly followed at all. probably similar to rubgy here in the states. its played at colleges but not followed at the pro levels at all.

the only countries with lots of people following basketball in europe, are latvia, croatia, greece, spain and maybe serbia along with a few other small eastern european countries. and even in those countries soccer is still bigger than basketball, except for latvia. while living in england people could sometimes name MJ, but other than that were lost as far as bball goes. Spain's soccer league has an attendance avg of 28,000 per game...there bball leagues avg attendance is 6,000 per game. this is the most attended league in all of europe, just to give you an idea of how far bball is behind soccer.

so to say basketball is followed by almost everyone in europe couldn't be farther from the truth. the media in most of these countries wouldn't even give basketball a 20 second bit on the sports news...

Hellcrooner
10-14-2010, 03:48 AM
i know you love basketball but you're stretching the truth...basketball is known throughout europe, unlike baseball or A.football but to say most of europe follows basketball is completely wrong. you're from greece? thats one of the biggest basketball countries in europe and soccer is still bigger there...in countries like germany, france, ireland, great britain, sweden, russia basketball is hardly followed at all. probably similar to rubgy here in the states. its played at colleges but not followed at the pro levels at all.

the only countries with lots of people following basketball in europe, are latvia, croatia, greece, spain and maybe serbia along with a few other small eastern european countries. and even in those countries soccer is still bigger than basketball, except for latvia. while living in england people could sometimes name MJ, but other than that were lost as far as bball goes. Spain's soccer league has an attendance avg of 28,000 per game...there bball leagues avg attendance is 6,000 per game. this is the most attended league in all of europe, just to give you an idea of how far bball is behind soccer.

so to say basketball is followed by almost everyone in europe couldn't be farther from the truth. the media in most of these countries wouldn't even give basketball a 20 second bit on the sports news...

Sad but true.
Basketbal does almost never make the news in spain.
It only makes it when

A) team Spain wins a medal.
B) Pau Gasol wins a ring.
C) SPanish team wins Euroleague.

They dont even care bout the Spanish Acb League finals, nor regular season you ahve to search every info on teh web.

You only know bout basketball if you are interested and search for info in the web or read specialized magazines, and there arent so many ( official Nba magazine and Gigantes del baloncesto)

Given that if you go on teh street and ask people who are not into soccer and ask who any top 40 player is, 90% of the people will know who you are talking bout.

But if you go and ask anybody Not interested in basketball about nba players they will only know Pau Gasol and Kobe Byrant because he is in teh same team ( and they wouldnt even nknow bout odom or bynum or fisher) .
Only 50% of non basketball fans woul know Calderon, Rudy or Marc gasol.
And only a 10% of non basketball fans woudl know who Lebron James is.

Iverson? id be surprised if ANY non basketball fans in spain knew who he is.

NYKalltheway
10-14-2010, 05:11 AM
The rich countries don't play basketball as much anyway (England, Germany)
Germany has started growing in the last 10 years but it's just the beginning.

Lithuania, Latvia, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Greece, Bosnia, Israel, maybe more countries are heavy basketball followers. It's true that it's almost nowhere #1. That's partly because the best players tend to leave for Spain, Italy, Greece and others to the NBA(where they vanish for many years and people only remember them when they play for national teams!!)
Slovenia eg is a huge basketball nation. I doubt that many know who Sasha Vujacic is unless they followed his career. Everyone knows Lakovic and Smodis though

In Greece, basketball was the most popular sport in the 90s by far (because specially from the late 90s till even today football is corrupt there and Greek league and teams were some of the most dominant)

Back to topic, I only see Iverson's transfer as good for European basketball. Turkish basketball will rise to new dimensions and that hopefully will make Italian teams strong again, Russians more interested (there are only a couple of good Russian teams and 1 great team now)

It's lack of interest. Heck, I couldn't find NBA 2k11 in England!! Had to download it from Steam!

Europe usually operates better in sports after crises. So this economic crisis will help sports in most countries. More people start concentrating on sporting careers at times like this as it's an exodus to multimilionaire markets.

I can't honestly even say that basketball is #2 in Europe. Volleyball is very popular as well. Rugby has followers in Britain, France and Italy, but you can't say it's a top 5 sport overall.. Generally, British sports other than football(soccer) are not popular at all. Cricket (lol), Rugby(few big nations), Netball (lol?), Polo(on horseback!!! Water Polo is x20 times more popular)... 3m participate in basketball, be it youth clubs or professionally(semi-professional I guess)
You can't take Britain(England, Scotland, Wales) as a sample for Europe.
Even if Lebron or Kobe transfered over there, it would still take 20 years in order to accept the sport. They play cricket and it's even their national sport ffs :p

Team*Chicago
10-14-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm glad Allen is leaving the NBA to go play in Turkey. I always hated that man and it feels good to see him not play on a NBA team.