PDA

View Full Version : Pat Riley eyeing up Doc Rivers for Heat coaching job

spreadeagle
10-09-2010, 03:05 PM
For the longest time, there’s been a belief that Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers planned to stay on the job until the Big Three had grown too old, until this champion run completed. He would return to his Florida home, reboot a season with a TV job and thrust himself onto the market as the NBA’s most desirable coaching candidate. Rivers could pick his contender, name his price.

And that could’ve come with the Miami Heat, with a team president, Pat Riley, whom sources say has Rivers at the top of his list should he ever choose to replace young coach Erik Spoelstra. In the final season of a contract that’ll pay him $6.5 million this season, Rivers came to the preseason with something else on his mind: Why would he ever want to leave general manager Danny Ainge, who gives him so much trust and talent, and an ownership that’s gone so deep into the luxury tax in this championship arms race? more http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ak3qTq9yntJVI9N25JxsrBq8vLYF?slug=aw-riversceltics100810

daleja424
10-09-2010, 03:19 PM
PURE speculation. Riley has the upmost faith in Eric, and he would never publicly say anything different. Riley is about as tight lipped as it comes, which is why whenever something comes out about the HEAT it is almost aways wrong.

Sly Guy
10-09-2010, 03:38 PM
well if the heat fail to win the championship this year, there's a *possibility* I can see them firing eric.

spreadeagle
10-09-2010, 03:44 PM
well if the heat fail to win the championship this year, there's a *possibility* I can see them firing eric.

Exactly.If they dont win and Doc leaves the Celts,could see this going down.Riley would be the next Phil Jackson

daleja424
10-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Im not saying it doesnt make sense. I am saying that there is very very small chance that Riley has even begun thinking about who he could replace eric with...and a zero percent chance that he has made any kind of list or anything and shared it with anyone.

dwadefan03
10-09-2010, 03:57 PM
spo will show everyone that he is a more than capable coach, just give the guy some time

sep11ie
10-09-2010, 04:08 PM
spo will show everyone that he is a more than capable coach, just give the guy some time

C'mon man. Hellen Keller could draw up plays for that team.

daleja424
10-09-2010, 04:28 PM
its th defensive schemes that are impressive actully...

the heat had a top 5 defense last year and didnt really have many good individual defenders...

this year the schemes could lock teams down with the athletes the heat now have

ShaqShoes
10-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm surprised he would say this.

Russollini
10-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Eric is an awful coach, can not handle a rotation, can not develop talent and is OF schemes are by far the worst in the league, but having 3 1st Team NBA players on your roster negates most of that. Thank God we have no talent left to develop. The issue I see is when the stars stop listening.

daleja424
10-09-2010, 04:38 PM
^ ask Wade who he credits with becoming a superstar...

and then get back to me about developing talent...

abe_froman
10-09-2010, 04:48 PM
way to early to be speculating about this

Byronicle
10-09-2010, 05:05 PM
give any coach a big 3 whether it was the experience Pierce, Allen and Garnett trio or the Lebron, Wade and Bosh trio and they will make that coach look amazing despite the fact that their coaching skills have not won them games when they only had a single star

i don't get it why anyone would think these guys are good coaches. does it make sense to you? how does that make him a great coach when they couldn't do jack before? how are they a great coach when they are full loaded with stars?

if these guys were great coaches, there would never been the need to keep getting more and more stars. look at greg popovich and what he does with new players coming in all the time, or alvin gentry who took a team's reigns after it's philosophy was hacked up and is using his players as tools appropriately

these coaches win games because their players win them, not the coaches

Byronicle
10-09-2010, 05:07 PM
^ ask Wade who he credits with becoming a superstar...

and then get back to me about developing talent...

what does that have to do with coaching a team to be better? its different, its a group vs an individual, you are not managing just a single player but an entire team and have to use certain weapons at your disposal at the right time.

that Heat team last year was CARRIED by WADE alone, everyone else just focused their energy on defense because Wade won them the games, not spoelstra. how is he even a great coach when all his plays involves giving Wade the ball and the rest save ur energy on def?

Hellcrooner
10-09-2010, 05:08 PM
mmmm talkin bout coaches already on contract......no tampering concussion or anything like that?

stern remove the mascared allow them to go salary cap less vs the rest of the teams hcving to follow the rules.

NBAfan47
10-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Spo will be the coach IMO. And Pat Riley would NEVER share his thoughts with anyone on the media. He is the smartest brain in nba and he knows how to keep his plans secret. This is a pure specualtion just because Doc is a close of Pat and he lives in Floirda.

If anyone should replace Spo, that's Pat himself.

LeBitteNoir
10-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Spo will get it done.

Better question: does Riley pull Spo after the HEAT have won their 6th championship so that Spo doesn't tie or surpass Pat in # of rings?

avrpatsfan
10-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Don't do it Doc.

Russollini
10-09-2010, 06:25 PM
what does that have to do with coaching a team to be better? its different, its a group vs an individual, you are not managing just a single player but an entire team and have to use certain weapons at your disposal at the right time.

that Heat team last year was CARRIED by WADE alone, everyone else just focused their energy on defense because Wade won them the games, not spoelstra. how is he even a great coach when all his plays involves giving Wade the ball and the rest save ur energy on def?

EXACTLY!! Wade showed flashes of greatness to start with and very mature as well.

Cook, Beas, Mario, Wright et all digressed and looked very bad last year while the entire team was reduced to spectator and Wade was the team. We could have beaten the Cs if anyone on the team would have stepped up even a little. That series could have been 2-2 with only a few more buckets.

beasted86
10-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Eric can not handle a rotation, and his OF schemes are bad, but having 3 all-star NBA players on your roster negates most of that. The issue I see is when the stars stop listening.

Modified, and agreed.

kArSoN RyDaH
10-10-2010, 12:32 AM
uh-oh trouble down in south beach?

if i were eric spoelstra i wouldnt be too pleased with this.

rrttyy
10-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in. Letís
Facelift bar!
= = = = = http://www.surprisefirms.com = = = = =
Air Jordan (1-24) shoes $33
UGG BOOT $50
Nike shox (R4, NZ, OZ, TL1, TL2, TL3) $33
Handbags ( Coach Lv fendi D&G) $36
T-shirts (polo, ed hardy, lacoste) $16
Jean (True Religion, ed hardy, coogi)$30
Sunglasses ( Oakey, coach, Gucci, Armaini)$16
New era cap $16
Bikini (Ed hardy, polo) $18
Accept paypal
FREE SHIPPING
= = = http://www.surprisefirms.com = = =

ElMarroAfamado
10-10-2010, 08:39 PM
the Heat dont need Doc Rivers....the heat are winning 6 titles in a row remember?
cant wait

Rafer17
10-10-2010, 08:56 PM
No way Doc leaves for Miami. He was very close to retiring this year, so I dont think he wants to abruptly move teams when hes close to retiring...

h2r09
10-10-2010, 09:03 PM
coming from a guy who has been to a season ticket holder event for the heat where spo spoke, he isnt going anywhere. he is one of the most prepred and best coaches in the league. there arent words to describe the kind of coach he is. very impressive in person. there is a reason he has gone from video assistant to head coach of a historic team.

j-bay
10-10-2010, 09:20 PM
tampering tampering tampering
miami has tampered with everyone

LeBitteNoir
10-10-2010, 09:29 PM
tampon tampon tampon
miami will make everyone wear a tampon

:clap:

j-bay
10-10-2010, 09:51 PM
http://sportsrealtalk.com/image.axd?picture=2010%2F7%2Flebron-james-is-a-crying-baby.jpg

Super.
10-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Doc isn't going to coach another team after the Celtics until his kids are out of school. So this would be something in the very long term.

I could see it happening in 3-5 years. But I doubt Doc comes out of retirement anyways

NBAfan47
10-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Miami won't need Doc Rivers. Spo will do just fine. He is a brilliant young coach who has been under Riley for 14 years now. Good enough to be able to coach a team to championship.

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 08:09 AM
spo will crumble under the pressure. riley will need to intervene and may have to look for other options whether it be doc or some other coach.

HiphopRelated
10-11-2010, 08:27 AM
"sources close to Riley" don't exist

Badluck33
10-11-2010, 08:34 AM
i see riley taking the job before doc rivers.