PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gwynn diagnosed with cancer

beltran15mets
10-09-2010, 01:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5665646

SAN DIEGO -- Tony Gwynn, the prolific-hitting Hall of Fame outfielder who spent his entire 20-year career with the Padres, has been diagnosed with cancer of a salivary gland.

Gwynn

Gwynn, a 15-time All-Star voted into the Hall in 2007, has had three procedures since 1997 to remove non-cancerous tumors to the largest salivary gland, he told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

But the latest operation last month discovered a malignant growth, he said.

"They took out three lymph nodes and did all the tests and the results showed cancer in the parotid," Gwynn told the newspaper Friday.

The 50-year-old Gwynn faces radiation and chemotherapy treatments. He says doctors have told him they feel they caught the cancer early and "there was not much of it there."

"They say this is a slow moving but aggressive form of cancer," Gwynn told the Union-Tribune from his Poway home. "I'm going to be aggressive and not slow moving in treating this."

Gwynn said he faces up to two months of radiation treatments, which he will undergo five times a week. He said he will have chemotherapy treatments once a week.

"I go in Monday for a consultation and I hope to immediately begin the treatments," Gwynn told the newspaper.

Gwynn said he thought the cancer was most likely related to using chewing tobacco throughout his baseball career.

"I haven't discussed that with the doctors yet, but I'm thinking it's related to dipping," said Gwynn, who said he had failed to drop the habit despite the previous mouth procedures.

Gwynn is San Diego State's baseball coach, and the school confirmed Gwynn's condition to The Associated Press. Gwynn plans to return to his alma mater, which he has coached since 2003.

Gwynn's son, Tony Gwynn Jr., is a reserve outfielder for the Padres in his second full big-league season.

Gwynn, who ranks 19th in MLB history as a career .338 hitter, finished 18th in hits with 3,141.

Gwynn debuted in 1982 and appeared in his first of two World Series two years later during his first full season. The Padres fell to the Detroit Tigers in five games.

San Diego returned to the World Series 14 years later but were swept by the New York Yankees.

Gwynn told the Union-Tribune he had purposely withheld going public with the procedures and was successful thanks to recurring back trouble.

"My back wasn't letting me to do anything and was keeping me away from the ballpark and the TV booth, so it was pretty easy not to say anything," Gwynn said. "Although the back is still an issue, it is getting better. Right now, the back feels good. I can stand up.

"But I had to be upfront with my team about the cancer."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

CHRISDODGERS
10-09-2010, 01:57 PM
what a shame. hope he makes a full recovery but that just shows what dipping can do.

eXpLiiCt
10-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Hope he gets well

MooseWithFleas
10-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Damn, one of my all time favorite players :(. Fight it off Tony. Glad they caught it quick, hope the treatment goes well.

JRisdabest
10-09-2010, 02:03 PM
good luck tony. ITS his falt for dipping though.thses are some of the consequences u face for dipping.

KingsPhillies
10-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Not only was Tony a great player, he was also a class act. A friend of mine had the pleasure of meeting him, and said he was one of the nicest guys he ever met. It always sucks to hear bad things happen to good people, but at least Tony is being honest with himself and admits it probably came from dipping. I'm glad to hear the prognosis is positive, and wish him a thorough and speedy recovery. Hopefully the treatment won't make him too miserable.

ShaqShoes
10-09-2010, 02:11 PM
"They say this is a slow moving but aggressive form of cancer," Gwynn told the Union-Tribune from his Poway home. "I'm going to be aggressive and not slow moving in treating this."
:rimshot:

SFGIANTSFAN32
10-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Good luck Tony, beat this quickly. To the younger kids out there, DO NOT CHEW. Im 35 and still play in local baseball league, I munch on sunflower seeds all game long, much better for you. Just drink extra water so the salt doesnt dehydrate you

yuoke
10-09-2010, 02:34 PM
I hope he gets well soon, and at the same time I hope this is somewhat of a lesson to younger players not to chew.

mdlr52192
10-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Get well soon, hopefully

Rylinkus
10-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Absolutely terrible disease. And Gwynn always seemed like a heck of a guy. I hope he recovers well.

ShinobiNYC
10-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I hope he bats more than .400 to beat it. I'm sure Tony will fight it off.

Sick Of It All
10-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Pray to God that he makes a full recovery asap, he has always been a personal favorite.

MDfootball36
10-09-2010, 03:21 PM
hope the best for him

goldenstater
10-09-2010, 03:25 PM
One of my absolute favorite players of all-time! God bless and get well!

ugadawgsfan17
10-09-2010, 03:33 PM
This is really scary! Hope he's ok!

Am I doing it right?

ElFuturoDeESPN
10-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Welllllllp, I'm quitting dipping! Hopefully Tony recovers soon.

ugadawgsfan17
10-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Dipping = gross, not cool, ****** ****, etc.

the_jon
10-09-2010, 05:04 PM
:rimshot:
You have a ****** sense of humor.

Get better soon Tony.

The L Train
10-09-2010, 05:16 PM
get well soon Tony...

Lincecum4CY
10-09-2010, 05:50 PM
This is horrible news. Praying for you Gwynn get better soon big guy.

ManRam
10-09-2010, 09:13 PM
It's amazing how trendy and "cool" dipping is perceived in high school sports (especially lacrosse and baseball, as I'm most aware, but I'm sure football too). It was seriously "cool" to dip in high school if you were on any sports team.

It's a shame. Best of wishes to him, and hopefully he becomes more public about the adverse consequences of dipping. It's not something talked about or criticized enough.

MinnesnowtaWild
10-09-2010, 10:45 PM
What a bummer! I hope he pulls through and I am sure he will. I know how it feels to have cancer and radiation and chemotherapy are not fun at all...it is going to be a long battle for him and I wish him the best.

ritz
10-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I hope he gets well soon. Cancer is no joke and neither is chemotherapy. Quite frankly it's terrible to watch what it does to a person's body. I had to witness that **** first hand and hope I never have to again.

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
10-10-2010, 09:01 AM
ah, good ol tony gwynn. ive got fond memories of my college days seeing him romp around the SDSU campus on his pimped out golf cart, with the rolls royce hood ornament of course. obviously i would belt out the most obnoxiously loud HEEEEY TOONEEEEEE! he would pretend to be the only person that didnt hear me. but i knew, and he knew i knew he knew that i thought he was awesome... good times

slvr&blck760
10-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Growing up in San Diego, I idolized Tony Gwynn from T-ball, to little league, to high school ball, to now. He is the definition of a baseball player. A class act, didn't chase the money, and played 20 seasons with one MLB team. He played with heart, and could possibly be baseball's purest hitter of all time. My prayers go out for you Mr. San Diego. Godspeed in your recovery. Get well soon!

redbird89
10-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I do hope he gets well, but this part caught my eye.

"I haven't discussed that with the doctors yet, but I'm thinking it's related to dipping," said Gwynn, who resumed the practice of using chewing tobacco after the first two surgeries.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Tony-Gwynn-suspects-his-cancer-comes-from-chewin?urn=mlb-275815

I understand it's an addiction, but why would you pick it back up? Seems like he would have tried to quit.

He's been walking with a cane because of back problems that probably are made worse because of his weight.

Wow.

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Good luck Tony

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 03:08 PM
such a great player in his day

Rivera
10-11-2010, 03:23 PM
get well soon

Mike Oxlong
10-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Hope's for the best and I REALLY need to stop bangin' the Grizzly..

Flamarlins21
10-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Most people don't realize how much dipping is apart of the game. At least 5 guys on each team dips I'd say. (Minor and major league)

baseballguy247
10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Hope tony gets well fast

North Country
10-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Not to be rude, but he kind of brought this on himself. He thinks is because of dipping and he's had previous procedures due to damage from dipping. He's lucky they caught it this early and that his treatment is mild. Going in for chemo once a week for 5 weeks is a piece of cake. Someone very close to me has cancer and they go in for chemo 4-5 times a week and their treatment lasts almost 3 years.

NYKNYGNYY
10-11-2010, 10:59 PM
wish him the best of luck...class act...whats the survivor rate for this type of cancer? anybody know?

Steelers>NFL
10-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Get well Tony. Good luck with treatments.
But more importantly, quit dipping...
Change your diet. And exercise.

redsox12
10-14-2010, 04:02 PM
praying for Tony