PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Rankings by WS/48

arkanian215
10-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Rookies who "qualify" played at least 41 games last season and at least 15 minutes per game.
2007-8

Carl Landry
Luis Scola
Thaddeus Young
Jamario Moon
Joakim Noah
Al Horford
Jared Dudley
Sean Williams
Rodney Stuckey
Kevin Durant
Mike Conley
Juan Carlos Navarro
Al Thornton
Yi Jianlian
Nick Young
Jeff Green
Corey Brewer
Acie Law
Daequan Cook

2008-9

Greg Oden
Rudy Fernandez
Marreese Speights
D.J. Augustin
Kevin Love
Nicolas Batum
Marc Gasol
Brook Lopez
Courtney Lee
Anthony Morrow
Mario Chalmers
Luc Mbah a Moute
Ryan Anderson
JaVale McGee
Eric Gordon
Michael Beasley
George Hill
Derrick Rose
Anthony Randolph
Jason Thompson
Darrell Arthur
O.J. Mayo
Kyle Weaver
Russell Westbrook
Brandon Rush
Mike Taylor

2009-10

DeJuan Blair
Ty Lawson
Serge Ibaka
James Harden
Wesley Matthews
Marcus Thornton
Taj Gibson
Chase Budinger
Toney Douglas
Tyreke Evans
Jonas Jerebko
Stephen Curry
Brandon Jennings
Eric Maynor
Darren Collison
DeMar DeRozan
A.J. Price
Omri Casspi
Sam Young
Jrue Holiday
Wayne Ellington
Jonny Flynn
Terrence Williams

Top 10 in the Past 3 Years

Carl Landry
Greg Oden
Luis Scola
DeJuan Blair
Rudy Fernandez
Marreese Speights
Thaddeus Young
Ty Lawson
Serge Ibaka
D.J. Augustin

Does any of this change how you view who was rookie of the year? If so, why? If not, why not?

DenButsu
10-09-2010, 06:05 AM
I've never really understood what "win shares" really indicate, so I've always shied away from using them. That is to say, I understand what they're supposed to be, I think (the number of wins an individual player earned for his team), but I don't know how that's calculated. I'm not really a believer or disbeliever in them, I just don't know how much stock they deserve to have put in them in comparison to other factors.

I mean, as a Nuggets fans, I'm happy to see Lawson near the top of the 2009-10 list. But seeing Reke and Curry way down there when it's obvious how important they were to their teams (probably more important, in comparison, than Ty was for the Nuggets since he came in behind Billups, for example) makes me at the very least raise my eyebrows.

Put differently, I'd like to see how other lists stack up, based on TS%, rebound rate (for bigs especially), ast rate (for pgs, especially). I don't know if that would necessarily be "better", but it's more tangible to me.

arkanian215
10-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Top Bigs Ordered by Total Rebound % (2007-2010)

Kevin Love
DeJuan Blair
Greg Oden
Al Horford
Anthony Randolph
Serge Ibaka
Carl Landry
Brook Lopez
Jason Thompson
Taj Gibson
Joakim Noah
JaVale McGee
Marc Gasol
Sean Williams
Luis Scola
Darrell Arthur

TS% Rankings for Bigs

Carl Landry
Greg Oden
Marc Gasol
Thaddeus Young
Brook Lopez
DeJuan Blair
Sean Williams
Serge Ibaka
Nicolas Batum
Luis Scola

TS% Rankings for All

Carl Landry
Ty Lawson
Greg Oden
Eric Gordon
Wesley Matthews
Marc Gasol
Anthony Morrow
Rudy Fernandez
D.J. Augustin
Toney Douglas

Assist %

Darren Collison
Eric Maynor
Brandon Jennings
Derrick Rose
Russell Westbrook
Tyreke Evans
Mike Conley
Jonny Flynn
Stephen Curry
Jrue Holiday

abe_froman
10-09-2010, 02:03 PM
I've never really understood what "win shares" really indicate, so I've always shied away from using them. That is to say, I understand what they're supposed to be, I think (the number of wins an individual player earned for his team), but I don't know how that's calculated. I'm not really a believer or disbeliever in them, I just don't know how much stock they deserve to have put in them in comparison to other factors.

I mean, as a Nuggets fans, I'm happy to see Lawson near the top of the 2009-10 list. But seeing Reke and Curry way down there when it's obvious how important they were to their teams (probably more important, in comparison, than Ty was for the Nuggets since he came in behind Billups, for example) makes me at the very least raise my eyebrows.

Put differently, I'd like to see how other lists stack up, based on TS%, rebound rate (for bigs especially), ast rate (for pgs, especially). I don't know if that would necessarily be "better", but it's more tangible to me.
here's the page with the basketball winshare info
http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html

and i to remain somewhat skeptical even in my embrace of it