PDA

View Full Version : Waiver Wire drops & pickups for 2010-2011

Sports Illustrator
10-08-2010, 01:36 PM
The 2010-2011 NBA season will be starting very soon. In here we can discuss which players may be in the waiver wire pool throughout the season, players who will begin in the waiver wire pool and then become solid players and etc. We can also use this thread in case if anyone needs help or advice on which players they should pick-up or which players should be dropped and etc. This is a very important part of fantasy basketball and can tremendously help you if you are using it the right way.

theducksmuggler
11-04-2010, 12:59 PM
dont really need a power forward, small forward but just picked up thad young from the sixers on a waiver, was it a good pick up?

ShockerArt
11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
dont really need a power forward, small forward but just picked up thad young from the sixers on a waiver, was it a good pick up?

I've had him the past couple of years. He will go on some good runs where he gets minutes and shoots well and gives you solid scoring and some steals. But watch out for when he goes cold. He can kill your FG% for long stretches.

Sports Illustrator
11-05-2010, 03:06 PM

Well it depends on what your team looks like, how many teams are in the league and how many players per team.

Overall, Thad Young from the Sixers isn't a bad player to pickup at all.

The other question would be who else is available in your league to pick up?

Wilson
11-06-2010, 05:59 AM
In my league I've just dropped Shawn Marion for Udonis Haslem. Thoughts? Haslem should improve my rebounding a little and perhaps even my FG% a little, two areas where I'm struggling. I expect both to pick up more when Kevin Durant and Brandon Roy get into rhythm and when Chris Bosh figures the Heat out (if he even does :pray:), but for now I thought the Haslem for Marion drop was worth doing.

I put Marion on the trade block for a while before doing this thinking that someone might bite and give me something more valuable but no-one did.

Rafer17
11-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Dropped Jose Calderon for Toney Douglas
Droped DeMar DeRozan for Reggie Evans

DenButsu
11-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Fantasy newb here, please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

During wks 1-2, here are moves I made in preparation for wk 3:

dropped George Hill, SA PG to Waivers
added James Jones, Mia SF from Free Agency to Bench

dropped Reggie Williams, GS SF to Waivers
added Glen Davis, Bos PF from Free Agency to Bench

dropped James Jones, Mia SF to Waivers
added Quentin Richardson, Orl SF from Free Agency to Bench

Felt kind of ambivalent about the bolded one, but I feel like it was (hopefully) the right move. And I feel pretty good about turning Hill into QR. We'll see, I guess.

Wilson
11-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm a fantasy newb too :o

I prefer George Hill to Quentin Richardson. I think they'll give similar numbers but Hill has more potential to explode every now and then and give a little extra.

In my league I dropped Udonis Haslem for Serge Ibaka. Like with Hill and Richardson I think they'll give similar production but Ibaka has more potential to give a little extra every now and then.

kEviN21
11-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Richard Jefferson has been doing great!! Pickup of the month??

DenButsu
11-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm a fantasy newb too :o

I prefer George Hill to Quentin Richardson. I think they'll give similar numbers but Hill has more potential to explode every now and then and give a little extra.

In my league I dropped Udonis Haslem for Serge Ibaka. Like with Hill and Richardson I think they'll give similar production but Ibaka has more potential to give a little extra every now and then.

Yeah, I'm early in my fantasy career, but I can already tell that there's going to be an ongoing struggle (in my mind) between *possibly* rising (but as yet unproven and inexperienced) youth and *possibly* fading (but proven and experienced) vets. At the end of the day, though, one of the biggest reasons I like the move I made was simply because I think Q-Rich will end up getting more minutes than Hill.

kEviN21
11-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm early in my fantasy career, but I can already tell that there's going to be an ongoing struggle (in my mind) between *possibly* rising (but as yet unproven and inexperienced) youth and *possibly* fading (but proven and experienced) vets. At the end of the day, though, one of the biggest reasons I like the move I made was simply because I think Q-Rich will end up getting more minutes than Hill.

Qrich is better to have if you plan on playing him a lot. Hill is better to have for bench purposes if you plan on banking on Parker getting injured or so.
So Qrich I see solid stats but nowhere great and Hill with decent stats with the upside of starter production

JCSchwa
11-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Currently in 3 place and have been pretty much all season..I need more assists and steals, i also need 3pt badly ....should i try trading brook lopez for john wall? or stephen jackson?..am i aiming too high with those targets ?
heres my roster...
PG- R.Westbrook (OKC)
SG- O.J. Mayo (Mem)
G- G.Arenas(Was)
SF- L.Odom (LAL)
PF- Pau Gasol (LAL)
F- D.West (NO)
C- B.Lopez (NJ)
Util- Tyrus Thomas (Cha)
Util- JJ.Hickson (Cle)
BN- B. Gordon (Det)
BN- L.Williams (PHI)
BN- D. Favors(NJ)

Rafer17
11-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Dropped Reggie Evans
Dropped Toney Douglas
Picked Up Wes Matthews - Then Dropped Him
Picked up Jose Calderon

Wilson
12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
A few of my recent moves:

Dropped Reggie Evans and added Kris Humphries, then dropped Humphries for Landry Fields: I picked Evans up a while ago when I needed help with my rebounding and he did a great job before the injury :( I picked Humphries up because he was the next leading rebounder who was available in my league. He gave me a few nice games before I decided to drop him in favour of Fields to shake things up a bit. Fields is on a nice run and has already given me a couple of 10 rebound nights.

Dropped Serge Ibaka for Amir Johnson: I considered dumping Humphries and adding Johnson after reading something about him but decided against it, then Johnson went off for 22 & 16 :mad: Ibaka would produce more than Johnson if he got a consistent 30 minutes a game (which would make the Thunder a better team too) but his minutes get yanked around a lot. Johnson should at least give me a consistent ten rebounds per game.

tredigs
12-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Just dropped Amir Johnson myself. I can't deal with the inconsistency that comes with all of his foul trouble. Picked up (the now starting) Brandon Bass in his place. Also finally dropped Troy Murphey in favor of Nick Young (who's going to see an even bigger increase in ppg with Arenas gone) to give me some more guard depth.

Picked up Okur + M. Miller a week or so ago in anticipation of their returns, but now just lost Noah. Gah! Have a trade possibility of B. Jennings for Noah that may end up being a possibility (I'm a little weak in assists with John Wall retiring from basketball after 2 weeks in the league).

Wilson
12-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Just dropped Amir Johnson myself. I can't deal with the inconsistency that comes with all of his foul trouble. Picked up (the now starting) Brandon Bass in his place. Also finally dropped Troy Murphey in favor of Nick Young (who's going to see an even bigger increase in ppg with Arenas gone) to give me some more guard depth.

Picked up Okur + M. Miller a week or so ago in anticipation of their returns, but now just lost Noah. Gah! Have a trade possibility of B. Jennings for Noah that may end up being a possibility (I'm a little weak in assists with John Wall retiring from basketball after 2 weeks in the league).

:laugh2:

The Toronto Raptors in general just seem to be toying with me. I picked up Jose Calderon, then he got hurt and missed a few games. I kept hold of him thinking that he'd be back shortly and put up some assists, then Jerryd Bayless went on a scoring streak and I read that Calderon might end up coming off the bench when he came back. So eventually I replaced Calderon with Bayless, then Calderon comes back, starts and puts up 20 & 12 and Bayless goes 1/7 for 4 points :mad:

DenButsu
12-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Raps and Kings are both unreliable in general because they don'thave their rotations figured out. Too many timeshares. In spite of that, I just dropped Wesley Johnson for Omri Casspi.

Also thinking of proposing a Brook Lopez for Al jefferson trade, but not quite sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on that.

I picked up Taj the day before Noah got injured, thinking Boozer could have further injury troubles down the line (and thinking, well, I had to drop Hakim Warrick for someone, anyhow). That was sure a stroke of good luck. (With apologies to Noah owners).

Wilson
12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
I have DeMarcus Cousins from the Kings so I've had a spell of extra production with him moving to the starting line up.

DenButsu
12-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I have DeMarcus Cousins from the Kings so I've had a spell of extra production with him moving to the starting line up.

Yeah, me too actually...

What do you think? Brook or AJ?

Wilson
12-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah, me too actually...

What do you think? Brook or AJ?

I think Al Jefferson could come on pretty strong around the all-star break as the Jazz will be looking to secure a good spot in the standings. Lopez and the Nets will be a bit more inconsistent though, so I'd take Jefferson.

ESaady
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I have both Brook and AJ on my team, and I hate Brook. AJ is worth keeping when you have a PG like D Will dishing out dimes. Brook on the other hand. His points are up but his rebounding is down. I mean his stats at half today against Memphis 13 points 1 rebound 0 assists 0 blocks 1 turnover and 2 fouls. Gross.

tredigs
12-22-2010, 12:15 AM
:laugh2:

The Toronto Raptors in general just seem to be toying with me. I picked up Jose Calderon, then he got hurt and missed a few games. I kept hold of him thinking that he'd be back shortly and put up some assists, then Jerryd Bayless went on a scoring streak and I read that Calderon might end up coming off the bench when he came back. So eventually I replaced Calderon with Bayless, then Calderon comes back, starts and puts up 20 & 12 and Bayless goes 1/7 for 4 points :mad:

Yup, I've been through the same nonsense with the Raps. I've owned and dropped Kleiza, Amir Johnson and Bayless at different points. They're incredibly frustrating and I've all but sworn them off (Amir's drop was as much to do with his inconsistency as it is the looming return of Reggie Evans).

I actually just dropped Bass as well (my main league that I've been discussing is a 12 team, 16 player deep H2H btw - so it's fairly deep) for a speculative/homer pickup of Epke Udoh. He's seeing a bit more run right now for two reasons: 1) Biedrens is out for the time being (just day to day at this point), and 2) he's finally starting to get into game shape after missing the first few months with the wrist rehab. He's a player that could very well take the vast majority of the minutes Amundson + Radman were getting as a backup to Lee + Biedrens, and I'm not entirely ruling out a starting gig at some point over Beeze. Regardless, in the Warriors system I could see him averaging 7pts 9rbs 2ast 1stl and 2blks per game in ~25-28 minutes of action; which I expect him to start to earn over the coming week or two (with or without a full frontcourt).

Pure speculation on my part, but he's already the Warriors best interior defender and somebody that almost has to see significant minutes on this team. So if you have a struggling waiver-wire addition and are in the mood for a speculative pickup, being a PF/C eligible player in most leagues, he might be a guy worth keeping an eye on.

ESaady
12-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Aaron Brooks is available in my league, should I pick him up?

Wilson
12-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Aaron Brooks is available in my league, should I pick him up?

It depends who you have to drop to get him. I bet he's disappointed the hell out of fantasy owners this season, but he's definitely still worth a spot on the end of your bench if you can afford to drop someone.

ESaady
12-24-2010, 08:40 PM
It depends who you have to drop to get him. I bet he's disappointed the hell out of fantasy owners this season, but he's definitely still worth a spot on the end of your bench if you can afford to drop someone.

Deron Williams, Steph Curry, Rudy Gay, Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez, David West, Luis Scola, Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert and Andre Miller.

Brook is pretty disappointing. Jeff Green and Brook are averaging the same amount of points in my league at 33.2, I usually have one spot on my team in which I drop players, I ended up picking up Andre Miller. IDK :( What do you think?

Wilson
12-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Deron Williams, Steph Curry, Rudy Gay, Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez, David West, Luis Scola, Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert and Andre Miller.

Brook is pretty disappointing. Jeff Green and Brook are averaging the same amount of points in my league at 33.2, I usually have one spot on my team in which I drop players, I ended up picking up Andre Miller. IDK :( What do you think?

Whoever you drop it will be a risk. I would tentatively suggest dropping Jeff Green, I expect Brook Lopez to break out of his slump at some point so you should get a boost from him when that happens.

I have no idea if Aaron Brooks is going to be fully healthy or not this season though, I haven't really looked at him.

ESaady
12-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I feel like Jeff Green is the only one on my team who will stay at that average because he's limited by Kevin Durant and Russel Westbrook. I'll wait a bit, before I make my decision, thanks for the help.

Wilson
12-27-2010, 10:20 AM
I dropped Brandon Roy for Wesley Matthews about a week ago. It's paid off so far, I think it probably will for the rest of the season.

Boozerguy47
12-31-2010, 05:34 AM
Grab T-Mac while you can.

The man might just be back. If you have someone who isn't really helping you on your current roster, this move is for you. Low-risk, high-reward. Rumors are he might see starting time at PG. I just grabbed him in my league after seeing his recent stats and a couple of articles.

Cano4prez
07-14-2011, 07:48 PM
test