PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best Defender in the NBA?

manny620
10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
I would say Shane battier from the Rockets but Artest is up there too. what do you guys think?

DreamShaker
10-07-2010, 12:50 AM
It's hard to compare players from different positions. Like Battier is a tremendous wing defender but you put him in the post against Howard and he's getting dunked on. Probably have to divide it into a few categories. Or do it by position.

_KB24_
10-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Dwight Howard and it's not debatable. Seriously.

DerekRE_3
10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Dwight Howard. He doesn't just defend one person, he defends the entire paint. That's invaluable.

still1ballin
10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Derek Fisher hands down

lakers4sho
10-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Derek Fisher hands down

:laugh:

I think even I can score over him...

LakersMaster24
10-07-2010, 01:08 AM
I would say Shane battier from the Rockets but Artest is up there too. what do you guys think?

I would say Dwight in the paint, but if your looking for a one-on-one defender, then Battier or Artest could be it...BTW your sig is 100% correct

_KB24_
10-07-2010, 01:09 AM
:laugh:

I think even I can score over him...

He would probably flop and get the charge. I will never forget the game we had against the Warriors 2 years ago and Fisher pulled Ellis down and won us the game.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irgc6UGH8E8

asandhu23
Monta Ellis

tredigs
Howard's undeniably the most disruptive and imposing defensive force in the league right now, but I'm not convinced he's the most talented defender. And not to make this a debate about him specifically, but with his back to back DPOY awards (and more probably to come), I really am not hugely impressed with how he compares to great defensive centers of the past.

I feel like he lacks the intuitiveness and dexterity to get many strips off the post or steals from the passing lane (which is probably why he never averages more than 1 spg), and his blocks (which he does well, but not even as impressively as a guy like Ben Wallace in the early-mid 2000's) are not fine tuned by any means; often ending up in the stands when they could've been better placed to a teammate. Also, I think he tries to over-compensate going for blocks at times, and this inevitably pits him in foul trouble game after game (a lot of people say he gets called for weak fouls, but the guys himself admits how many stupid mistakes he makes in that regard), which really hurt them in a few playoff series.

In short, he's great defensively - and there's no doubt that his presence alone in the paint weakens the oppositions FG effeciency - but for a back to back DPOY winner who is widely considered by far the greatest defender of this generation of players, I really have to admit that I'm still a little underwhelmed.

Still, dude's a freak talent and by all accounts a real good guy (even though this is good and bad, if you're a fan of the Magic), so don't take my nit-picking as hating if you're a fan. "Just my 2".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wade and Lebron might actually be the two most talented/athletically prime defenders right now, imo. Guys like Battier and Artest have a fantastic mindset on that end (and both have great/quick hands), but they've started to lose a step. Artest was great against KD (pretty ideal matchup for Artest given where they were at, actually), but I can't give them the top spots anymore.

manny620
10-07-2010, 01:11 AM
I would say Dwight in the paint, but if your looking for a one-on-one defender, then Battier or Artest could be it...BTW your sig is 100% correct

Yup shes the sexiest Girl i have ever seen :D

Bausman
10-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Jose Caleron

Geargo Wallace
10-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Marcus Banks.

lakers4sho
10-07-2010, 01:24 AM
To me, blocks and steals do not equal a good defender. Sure, you can intercept passing lanes and start a fastbreak that gets on ESPN's highlight plays of the night, but there's no replacing the dedication and mindset that guys like Battier or Artest have on actually limiting the opposing player offensively.

G-Bay New J
10-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Sean Williams with any basketball I.Q. at all would be a defensive force.

manny620
10-07-2010, 01:28 AM
To me, blocks and steals do not equal a good defender. Sure, you can intercept passing lanes and start a fastbreak that gets on ESPN's highlight plays of the night, but there's no replacing the dedication and mindset that guys like Battier or Artest have on actually limiting the opposing player offensively.

Agree 100% I have seen Kobe struggle on every shot attempt when Shane was guarding him really a A+ defender Artest too when he was on the Rockets thats why Kobe wanted him on his team lol:eyebrow: The reason i say Kobe because in my opinion Kobe is the best 1 one 1 one pure shooter and Shane really mad it stuff for him to score not with blocks or steals but with fear and frustration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4aDM5d27_w

poleandreel
10-07-2010, 01:34 AM
currently, the best wing defender is sefalosha. he is just doesnt get as much hype or coverage as people like battier or artest bc he is relatively new and on a small market team. but, if i want someone guarding kobe for a 7 game series, im going with him

Raph12
10-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Dwight, easily.

Avenged
10-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Going with Dwight here too..

Shane and Artest have lost a step to consider them the best in the league. It's kind of hard to argue against Dwight considering he has back to back Defensive player of the year awards, but like someone mentioned before, it's kind of hard to compare players from different positions defensively.

NBA-GMaster
10-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Shane battier!!

NBAfan47
10-09-2010, 10:36 PM
post-Dwight
Perimeter-Sefolosha (most underrated defender in the league by miles, pretty sure most PSD people don't watch him).

Khalifa21
10-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Howard's undeniably the most disruptive and imposing defensive force in the league right now, but I'm not convinced he's the most talented defender. And not to make this a debate about him specifically, but with his back to back DPOY awards (and more probably to come), I really am not hugely impressed with how he compares to great defensive centers of the past.

I feel like he lacks the intuitiveness and dexterity to get many strips off the post or steals from the passing lane (which is probably why he never averages more than 1 spg), and his blocks (which he does well, but not even as impressively as a guy like Ben Wallace in the early-mid 2000's) are not fine tuned by any means; often ending up in the stands when they could've been better placed to a teammate. Also, I think he tries to over-compensate going for blocks at times, and this inevitably pits him in foul trouble game after game (a lot of people say he gets called for weak fouls, but the guys himself admits how many stupid mistakes he makes in that regard), which really hurt them in a few playoff series.

In short, he's great defensively - and there's no doubt that his presence alone in the paint weakens the oppositions FG effeciency - but for a back to back DPOY winner who is widely considered by far the greatest defender of this generation of players, I really have to admit that I'm still a little underwhelmed.

Still, dude's a freak talent and by all accounts a real good guy (even though this is good and bad, if you're a fan of the Magic), so don't take my nit-picking as hating if you're a fan. "Just my 2".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wade and Lebron might actually be the two most talented/athletically prime defenders right now, imo. Guys like Battier and Artest have a fantastic mindset on that end (and both have great/quick hands), but they've started to lose a step. Artest was great against KD (pretty ideal matchup for Artest given where they were at, actually), but I can't give them the top spots anymore.

Completely agree with everything here.

I remember seeing a article which valued every block a player made in points saved and Dwight had I think the lowest points saved per block when leading the league in BPG. I can't remember how they worked it out but I think they took into consideration where the ball ended up and what kind of shot was blocked. Duncan had the highest block value in the last decade I think as well, which makes perfect sense.

Ragun
10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
dwight howard...sure, he cant guard wings and PGs but his presence on defense is ALWAYS felt.