PDA

View Full Version : Arenas plans to show Wall the ropes then move on

spreadeagle
10-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Here’s how Gilbert Arenas(notes) looks at his role with the Washington Wizards: show top pick John Wall(notes) the ropes, then “move on.”

Arenas spoke after the Wizards’ preseason opener against the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday night, the first time he was met with reporters since his brief comments on the eve of training camp. He was again expressionless, maintaining the serious demeanor he presented to the public throughout camp.
Related Coverage

* Play Fantasy Basketball '09

“Right now I’m out there to hit open shots, teach John the ins and the outs of the game, and then eventually go on and move on—on my way,” Arenas said. “This is the NBA. There’s few players that stay in the same city, so right now the city is John’s. I’m not here to fight anybody. I’m here to play alongside of him.”

Arenas is attempting a comeback after a felony conviction for bringing guns into the locker room landed him a 50-game suspension and a month in a halfway house last season. The legal trouble was preceded by knee problems, limiting the former three-time All-Star to 47 games over the last three seasons.

Arenas became an embarrassment to the Wizards, who removed his jersey from the team stores and took down his banners and posters from virtually every nook and cranny of the Verizon Center. He is still on the roster largely because the team signed him to a six-year, $111 million contract in the summer of 2008, making any sort of trade unfeasible.

The new face of the franchise is No. 1 overall pick Wall, and Arenas has conceded as much. Wall and Arenas both started Tuesday night; Wall had 21 points and nine assists, while Arenas scored 12 points with one assist and didn’t get to the free-throw line.

“He’s Batman, I’m Robin,” Arenas said. “When I came in, Larry (Hughes) moved aside for me to become a star, and I’m moving aside for (Wall) to become a star.”

Arenas used to be one of the most colorful characters in the game. He explained his new serious side, which he kept up even as he was greeted warmly before the game by several former Wizards teammates who now play for the Mavericks.

“It’s a double-headed sword,” Arenas said. “I guess at this point I’m at that point where people are going to nitpick everything I do just because I got in trouble, so … I’ve just got to be serious and worry about what I’m doing.”

“I lost all feeling a long time ago,” he said. “Basketball is basketball now, no matter what floor I’m on" http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wizards-arenas

How weird a dynamic it must be on that team.Cant see them moving that contract anytime soon,and you know management doesn't want Arenas anywhere near Wall.

jimbobjarree
10-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I still expect him to come into the season all guns blazing

spreadeagle
10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
i still expect him to come into the season all guns blazing

zing

Ace33Bone
10-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Yeah I think that the announcers for the Wizard's Midnight madness put it best when they said "The Wizards will only go as far as Gibert takes them." John Wall is the new face of the city but he does not have the experience and end of the game heroics that Gilbert has built his career around. John Wall will be expected to do certain things this year but I think the majority of the pressure will be on Gilbert who I feel has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. He is still currently the best player on that roster and if they can get him and Wall on the same page with the help of Hinrich, Blatch, McGee and Howard this team can have a great season

BALLER R
10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
watching that interview he seems so depressed man..like he has no left to live for im not use to arenas like that

effen5
10-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Trade him to the Cavs

Weezy
10-07-2010, 10:40 AM
He has a horrific contract...

tangent12
10-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I really think he's going to have a great year and be that star for them that he once was. I really believe that.

And the Wizards have a sleeper team, to me they're going to be one of the surprises this year. Wouldn't be the least shocked if they made the playoffs.

PrettyBoyJ
10-07-2010, 11:10 AM
John Wall is a good player but still unproven in the NBA level, Arenas is a proven leader and a star in the league, its only going to take a few weeks before Arenas is going to start taking over the share of the ball handling, until they trade him which will probably be harder to do with his contract. But hands down this is wall's team now but he is no where near as good as arenas..

llemon
10-07-2010, 12:04 PM
John Wall is a good player but still unproven in the NBA level, Arenas is a proven leader and a star in the league, its only going to take a few weeks before Arenas is going to start taking over the share of the ball handling, until they trade him which will probably be harder to do with his contract. But hands down this is wall's team now but he is no where near as good as arenas..

Arenas is a leader? When did that happen?

Arenas is about Arenas.

$80 mil over 4 years for a shooting PG with a bad attitude and a criminal record isn't going to be easy to trade.

JayW_1023
10-11-2010, 12:27 PM
It's not Arenas I'm worried about. I actually feel sorry for the dude and I hope he bounces back in form this season.

It's that knucklehead Andray Blatche who is the real cancer on that Wizards team.

LA_Raiders
10-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Arenas is a hell of a shooter, the combo should work on Offence but on D they will shoke big time...

tr3ymill3r
10-11-2010, 02:15 PM
So Gilbert is going to teach him how to hold a gun and be a malcontent. Oh and not live up to potential and be consistently bounced early in the playoffs.

Antipod
10-11-2010, 02:40 PM
What ropes? How to trick metal detector? :D

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Wall is gonna be so good

Hustlenomics
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Wall's jumper isn't consistent Gilbert should teach him how to shoot

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I can already see it now