PDA

View Full Version : Amar'e Stoudemire compares Gallinari to Dirk

Swashcuff
10-06-2010, 07:33 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/no-pressure-kid-stoudemire-compares-gallinari-to-nowitzki.php

Amar'e Stoudemire likes what he sees in Danilo Gallinari -- so much so that he paid him maybe the ultimate compliment for a European big man.

And also out a ton of pressure on him. From the twitter account of Alan Hahn of Newsday:
"He reminds me of Dirk [Nowitzki] a lot...He's at that same level as Dirk at the same age if not better."

Stoudemire's point wasn't that Gallo and Dirk have the same game, it's both are similarly versatile and use the jump shot to set up game.

Rego247
10-06-2010, 07:51 PM
kinda apples and oranges, dirks a big man, but gallo is very talented. i think hes gonna have great year this year.

koreancabbage
10-06-2010, 07:58 PM
too bad Amare is not even close to Dirk's level, and comparing his inferior teammate to one of the best centers/power forwards in the game is showing that the lights of NYC is getting to his head.

tangent12
10-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Well I mean you can see why they'd get compared to each other but with all due respect Gallo is nowhere Nowitzki's level. He might get there eventually but for now putting Gallo in the same sentence is kind of disrespectful to Dirk.

xabial
10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Gallinari has an ill shot and hes talented. Expect a big year out of him this year

Burkey3472
10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Gallo is a very nice player but I just don't think he'll be as good as Dirk.

beasted86
10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Gallo can hope to match Kukoc's impact on a team, but he won't ever match Dirk's impact.

llemon
10-06-2010, 08:10 PM
NBA quotewise, Amare is the new Shaq.

Meaning that he talks out of an orifice that doesn't have a tongue.

Wade>You
10-06-2010, 08:12 PM
NBA quotewise, Amare is the new Shaq.

Meaning that he talks out of an orifice that doesn't have a tongue.
Quotewise, I'd say Howard's the new Shaq.

bkmikeyy
10-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Gallo reaching Dirk's level is unlikely... however people have to remember how Dirk was the first few years. Gallo has the potential, the size and the talent to take the next step the way Dirk did....whether he will or not remains to be seen. Many young players have the potential and are compared to similar stars, however most of them do not reach the comparisons. What I can say is that he has a superstar's mentaility, his game is just not there yet and maybe never will be.

Indi23
10-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Amar'e Stoudemire likes what he sees in Danilo Gallinari -- so much so that he paid him maybe the ultimate compliment for a European big man.

And also out a ton of pressure on him. From the twitter account of Alan Hahn of Newsday:
"He reminds me of Dirk [Nowitzki] a lot...He's at that same level as Dirk at the same age if not better."

Stoudemire's point wasn't that Gallo and Dirk have the same game, it's both are similarly versatile and use the jump shot to set up game.

Amare must have gotten schooled by him in practice, which isn't weird at all.

DoJoTheSlasher
10-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Gallinari is leading a team to 50 straight wins in 10 straight years, 10 all nba teams (4 1st), 9 all star selections, 1 MVP and ohhh about 21,000 points away from Dirk's level.

Amare is an idiot and he is a fun player to watch but nothing else. Gallinari MIGHT be an All Star for a few years but won't go past that. Dirk will finish a top 25 player OF ALL TIME while Gallinari might finish top 500.

bkmikeyy
10-06-2010, 08:25 PM
“I think he’s way ahead of my curve,” Nowitzki said of Gallinari. “When I was 20, I was struggling so much. I watched a bunch of games this year, and he looks confident out there. He’s knocking big shots down for them. I think he worked on his drive some, he’s finishing in the paint some, and they’re looking for him to get big baskets. So, definitely ahead of me.”

- Dirk on Gallo last year

Geargo Wallace
10-06-2010, 08:35 PM
“I think he’s way ahead of my curve,” Nowitzki said of Gallinari. “When I was 20, I was struggling so much. I watched a bunch of games this year, and he looks confident out there. He’s knocking big shots down for them. I think he worked on his drive some, he’s finishing in the paint some, and they’re looking for him to get big baskets. So, definitely ahead of me.”

Dirk is very modest. He said the same stuff about Bargs. C'mon when they ask him the question he's not gonna be a dick.

gregd111
10-06-2010, 08:42 PM
yea

Giaps
10-06-2010, 08:46 PM
He didn't directly compare them... he said when Dirk was 22 vs Gallo at 22.

Baller1
10-06-2010, 08:50 PM

At least someone besides myself pick up on this; people need to learn how to read within the context of what's being said.

John Walls Era
10-06-2010, 08:58 PM
How come people think Dirk was bad when he was young? No he was still a really good player who could score with ease.

Amare needs to do his homework.

scutch11
10-06-2010, 09:01 PM
how are people not realizing that amar'e said when dirk was the same age??? hes not comparing gallinari to the dirk that we see now (perennial all star, top big man shooter in the league), hes comparing him to dirk at age 21 (versatile, unproven, talented)

beasted86
10-06-2010, 09:01 PM

At least someone besides myself pick up on this; people need to learn how to read within the context of what's being said.

When Dirk was 22 he was putting up 21.8 PPG, 9.2 REB, 47% FG, 39% 3PT, 1.2 BLK on the way to his first 50+ win season and second round appearance.

We'll see how Gallinari compares at season's end.

Hawkeye15
10-06-2010, 09:04 PM
eh. Don't like the comparison. I think Rashard Lewis will be a closer comparison

Baller1
10-06-2010, 09:04 PM
When Dirk was 22 he was putting up 21.8 PPG, 9.2 REB, 47% FG, 39% 3PT, 1.2 BLK on the way to his first 50+ win season and second round appearance.

We'll see how Gallinari compares at season's end.

I'm not saying I agree with Stoudamire, I'm just simply stating that almost everyone (speaking generally) fails to ready contextually and therefore overreact.

ll_eric_ll
10-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry, but this dude was totally out of line with this Ignorant 4$$ comment. Is really not Dirks style, or talent that makes him great IMO. Theres VERY FEW players, in the history of the NBA that have the nuts to have elevated their game to the level that my man Dirk has elevated his, time after time after time after time. His work ethic and genuine love for the game is what separates him from players that merely have the potential to be decent contributers to an NBA franchise. Hahahahahaha,... what a fucn waste of words, he(Stoudamire) will fit right in with his new found fans(NY).:facepalm:

Giaps
10-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm sorry, but this dude was totally out of line with this Ignorant 4$$ comment. Is really not Dirks style, or talent that makes him great IMO. Theres VERY FEW players, in the history of the NBA that have the nuts to have elevated their game to the level that my man Dirk has elevated his, time after time after time after time. His work ethic and genuine love for the game is what separates him from players that merely have the potential to be decent contributers to an NBA franchise. Hahahahahaha,... what a fucn waste of words, he(Stoudamire) will fit right in with his new found fans(NY).:facepalm:
Um.... :facepalm:

Ebbs
10-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Meh he has a long way to go before matches Dirk's level.

AddiX
10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
First of: He didn't say he's as good as dirk, just that his style is similar and he's on the right path to possibly being something like Dirk.

Second off: you dudes are catching emotions over this like a bunch of groupie females who we're just told the Queen is a hoe. Get a freaking life.

jetsfan89
10-06-2010, 10:25 PM
some really good readers in this thread

D Roses Bulls
10-06-2010, 10:30 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/no-pressure-kid-stoudemire-compares-gallinari-to-nowitzki.php

lmao...... yea what is Amare smoking???? cause I want some of it.

Rafer17
10-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Galo will never be as good as Dirk

ll_eric_ll
10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Um.... :facepalm:

My point exactly

D-Leethal
10-06-2010, 10:55 PM
I recommend this to 99% of you guys

http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Phonics-Learn-Kindergarten-System/dp/1931020299

29$JerZ
10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
You have to love the amount of ignorant responses to one NBA player's opinion, vs. their own.

roshan3ai
10-06-2010, 11:20 PM
some really good readers in this thread

x2. :laugh:

Slimsim
10-06-2010, 11:24 PM
I recommend this to 99% of you guys

http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Phonics-Learn-Kindergarten-System/dp/1931020299

lol

uprightciti
10-06-2010, 11:32 PM
gallo will be one of the names that draws comparison to dirk for all his nba career however his progress might suffer as a result of his role in his game play.

under the correct circumstances i might be so bold to say darko or kaman could have been considered the next dirk.

but lets face it being compared to dirk is not all that great considering he is, well...not a winner, never gonna get a ring

gallo on the other hand...now we are talkin NYK ALLTHEWAY!

Rivera
10-06-2010, 11:36 PM
gallo will be one of the names that draws comparison to dirk for all his nba career however his progress might suffer as a result of his role in his game play.

under the correct circumstances i might be so bold to say darko or kaman could have been considered the next dirk.

but lets face it being compared to dirk is not all that great considering he is, well...not a winner, never gonna get a ring

gallo on the other hand...now we are talkin NYK ALLTHEWAY!

i usually dont say this to people but

I ABSOLUTLEY love ur sig......its so raw but u real....u put some emotion into that sig mannn lmao

MacFitz92
10-06-2010, 11:40 PM

That's coming from Dirk. He's very modest.

When Gallo wins an MVP, and leads a team to 10 straight 50 win seasons then come to me.

Apophis
10-06-2010, 11:55 PM

Exactly...

I was about to ask if anyone actually read the quote.. He is not comparing Gallo to Dirk now.. he is talking about at the age time frame..

Kashmir13579
10-06-2010, 11:59 PM
too bad Amare is not even close to Dirk's level, and comparing his inferior teammate to one of the best centers/power forwards in the game is showing that the lights of NYC is getting to his head.

^^^ obvious hater :rolleyes:

xxcubs22xx
10-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Gallo isn't anywhere near Dirk's level, or achievements.

Kashmir13579
10-07-2010, 12:04 AM
How come people think Dirk was bad when he was young? No he was still a really good player who could score with ease.

Amare needs to do his homework.

you need to do your homework.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=gallida01&y1=2010&p2=nowitdi01&y2=2000

look at per not totals

masTOR_shake1
10-07-2010, 12:06 AM
what a joke. gallo had one good game and the new york media and fans would have you believe he is something special. wonder what amare would have said a year ago off the record if asked that question....

WolvesJagsOs
10-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Gallo does have some characteristics of Dirk, but no he will never be on Dirk's level, and on Dirk's quote, like other people have said, he is modest, he aint gonna be a dick.

Giaps
10-07-2010, 12:42 AM
It's shocking that people are still saying the same bs despite tons of posters pointing out that they can't read. I am starting to believe that's true.

TrueFan420
10-07-2010, 12:45 AM

dirk is not even close to being a center.

NYKSpiritBomb
10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
can't say he will or won't be as good, or even better...noone here can see the future...he's only 22...basketball is a game of confidence...gallo is sick but i think those words were more geared to get people pumped up

NYYCowboys
10-07-2010, 12:58 AM
This thread proves my point that most posters on this site can't read. All these Maverick fans are saying "when he leads his team to all these 50 win seasons blah blah blah," but wait, did Dirk do all this at age 22? No. Amare was just saying he sees similarities between them at the same age. If he would have said Gallo is as good as Dirk now then you could have had the kind of response that most of you have had. Also it's funny how all these bandwagon Heat fans have all these negative things to say about Gallo...what? U MAD?!

LakersMaster24
10-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Wow. Gallo is a good player dont get be wrong, but I think people overrate him too much :/ especially the Knicks fans (no duh) think his like the future lol His nowhere near dirk ! All gallinari does is knock down threes...if we go by that concept then we can compare Ray Allen or D-Fish to Dirk too...

beasted86
10-07-2010, 01:29 AM
This thread proves my point that most posters on this site can't read. All these Maverick fans are saying "when he leads his team to all these 50 win seasons blah blah blah," but wait, did Dirk do all this at age 22? No. Amare was just saying he sees similarities between them at the same age. If he would have said Gallo is as good as Dirk now then you could have had the kind of response that most of you have had. Also it's funny how all these bandwagon Heat fans have all these negative things to say about Gallo...what? U MAD?!

First things first, how much does Stoudemire really know about Dirk at 22 when he wasn't even in the NBA yet? Dirk turned 22 in 00-01. Stoudemire wasn't even drafted until 02-03. He doesn't know any more about Dirk than any of us average fans.

Second up, read my post from above, that pretty much was an "/thread". We'll see what Gallinari does this season to see if he's on pace to be close to Dirk someday.... because right now his game doesn't warrant any type of comparison.

NYK_kidd77
10-07-2010, 01:37 AM
First things first, how much does Stoudemire really know about Dirk at 22 when he wasn't even in the NBA yet? Dirk turned 22 in 00-01. Stoudemire wasn't even drafted until 02-03. He doesn't know any more about Dirk than any of us average fans.

Second up, read my post from above, that pretty much was an "/thread". We'll see what Gallinari does this season to see if he's on pace to be close to Dirk someday.... because right now his game doesn't warrant any type of comparison.

Agree with this. Gallo is a good shooter but has to show alot more this year. Right now the only comparison between the 2 of them is being big and white.

Also comparing them is pretty stupid when Gallo plays SF and dirk playd PF/C.

G-Bay New J
10-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Yi is the Chinese Dirk fa sho.

Bulls_fan90
10-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Dirk at age 14 was better than Gallo now.

Bulls_fan90
10-07-2010, 01:57 AM

I don't usually agree with your posts....but well said.

calibird707
10-07-2010, 02:48 AM
Knick haters!!!!!

Hustla23
10-07-2010, 02:56 AM
It's shocking that people are still saying the same bs despite tons of posters pointing out that they can't read. I am starting to believe that's true.
LOL This is the NBA forum.

Where the exemplary genius of this Earth resides.

Crackadalic
10-07-2010, 03:03 AM
A lot of us knick fans dont compare gallo as the next dirk he has a Similar skillset as dirk but thats it hell he can be at best a hedo type player but its only his 3rd season 2nd if you discount the first cause of injuries ask this question a couple years from now if he can become that type of player

29$JerZ
10-07-2010, 03:07 AM

That was the quote. Why is this being taken out of context? Is reading hard?

G-Bay New J
10-07-2010, 03:15 AM
When Dirk was 22 he was dropping 22 and 10 a game. Gallo is a good scorer, so I could see him getting 20+ a game, but from what I have seen from Gallo, 10 rebounds a night is not gonna happen.

Kashmir13579
10-07-2010, 03:45 AM
That was the quote. Why is this being taken out of context? Is reading hard?

i know, and i even posted the stat comparisons from both their second seasons.
its all good, people love to hate.

Antipod
10-07-2010, 04:33 AM
it`s like comparing Jason Kapono to Ray Allen :)

Knicks21
10-07-2010, 05:31 AM

Cant compare them, two completely different players.

koreancabbage
10-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Cant compare them, two completely different players.

not really comparing them on a player to player basis, more of the NBA stardom level.

Dirk brings more to the game than amare does, that's why they are on different levels.

let alone, we all should know Amare doesn't rebound. he's like the worse all-star true power foward in the rebounding department. and his playoff performances don't help his cause.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
10-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Reading Comprehension is clearly lacking. Look at Dirk and Gallo through two NBA seasons and you will see Amare's comments are not far-fetched in the least.

Da Knicks
10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
At age 22 people, hate, hate, hate!!!

GMEN4EVER
10-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Keep it in context, if you compare Gallo to Dirk at 21 yrs old the comparison isn't so crazy. It's all about wether or not Gallo will take that next step into stardom. That's really the argument to make here. Judging by his swagger i'd say Gallo has the balls to be a star, and he is looking more athletic this year so we'll see. Dirk was never the fastest player out there either, a big part of his success stems from his height, and Gallo is up to 6'11" so the height is there. He obviously needs to develop some more moves but it's not out of the question for him to become a 20+ ppg scorer.

hvg
10-07-2010, 10:41 AM
To echo others' opinions here, I don't think Gallo will ever be as good as Dirk. The comparison is really because they're both European and they can both shoot. At his peak, I see him very similar to a Rudy Gay type in production.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
not really comparing them on a player to player basis, more of the NBA stardom level.

Dirk brings more to the game than amare does, that's why they are on different levels.

let alone, we all should know Amare doesn't rebound. he's like the worse all-star true power foward in the rebounding department. and his playoff performances don't help his cause.

Let's see how well PHX does without him.. They lost JJ, Marion, and didn't miss a beat... Let's see if Nash gets this team that far....

Double_R
10-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Amare is the next Zach Randolph now that he doesn't have Steve Nash.... book it.

yanks19791024
10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
If it turns out to be true GREAT for us:D

beasted86
10-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I always found it kind of interesting how much praise and hype Gallinari gets.

Michael Beasley is possibly the player with the most potential out of all '08 draftees... he puts up 15 PPG, 6 REB, 45% on 30 minutes for a winning team that runs a snail slow pace and we as Heat fans called him an underachiever and most wanted to trade him. Gallinari puts up 15 PPG, 4 REB, 42% on 34 minutes for a losing team that runs a pretty quick pace in comparison, and Knick fans compare him to Dirk and many claim they wouldn't trade him for Carmelo.

I guess it's a whole difference in perception and culture that each team has built up and has as expectations out of it's players.

justheboss
10-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Gallinari is leading a team to 50 straight wins in 10 straight years, 10 all nba teams (4 1st), 9 all star selections, 1 MVP and ohhh about 21,000 points away from Dirk's level.

Amare is an idiot and he is a fun player to watch but nothing else. Gallinari MIGHT be an All Star for a few years but won't go past that. Dirk will finish a top 25 player OF ALL TIME while Gallinari might finish top 500.

Yeah Dirk will finish a top 25 player all time. Hahahahaha smh. You poeple from TX are foolish. Drik isn't even a lock as a top 10 player this next season.

Players already better. Kobe, LJ, Wade, Durant, melo, CP3, D howard. Those guys are better for sure

Maybes
nash(?), d rose(with a big season its over), deron will(more imporant and valueable), rando(think that's the right spelling, a pg that is the new jason kidd. A triple double almost everynight) and I know I'm forgetting people

Dirks good but won't be one of the best 200 of all time. He's an avg all-star that would be forgotten if he was american.

IHeartNY
10-07-2010, 12:55 PM
NEVER ist Gallo on the same level as Dirk in the same age and never will Gallo be a player like Dirk. MVP and things like that you know ...

Gallinari is talented, though he will never be a franchise player like Nowitzki. Period.

SouthSideRookie
10-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Michael Beasley is possibly the player with the most potential out of all '08 draftees... he puts up 15 PPG, 6 REB, 45% on 30 minutes for a winning team that runs a snail slow pace and we as Heat fans called him an underachiever and most wanted to trade him. Gallinari puts up 15 PPG, 4 REB, 42% on 34 minutes for a losing team that runs a pretty quick pace in comparison, and Knick fans compare him to Dirk and many claim they wouldn't trade him for Carmelo.

I guess it's a whole difference in perception and culture that each team has built up and has as expectations out of it's players.

Very good point, there is actually other young players who had somewhat of similar production to Gallo and were in winning teams.

wileyisTOFU
10-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Thats not fair at all, hes hasn't even had the chance to choke in the playoffs are few times..

Giaps
10-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Michael Beasley is possibly the player with the most potential out of all '08 draftees... he puts up 15 PPG, 6 REB, 45% on 30 minutes for a winning team that runs a snail slow pace and we as Heat fans called him an underachiever and most wanted to trade him. Gallinari puts up 15 PPG, 4 REB, 42% on 34 minutes for a losing team that runs a pretty quick pace in comparison
Well, Beasley being the high pick is expected to be better. Also, Beasley was the #2 option on that team. Gallinari was the #4-#5 option for most of the year (Lee, Harrington, McGrady, Chandler/Gallinari). Then there are the numbers:

Gallo: 1,221 points on 927 shots and 334 free throw attempts
Beasley: 1,156 points on 1,040 shots and 240 free throw attempts

So Gallo had more points on less shots and got to the line more. Efficiency.

NYK_kidd77
10-07-2010, 02:12 PM
One comment turns into an attack the knicks and their fans thread?? This is why I like most of the Bulls fans on this site i know how they feel lol.

beasted86
10-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Well, Beasley being the high pick is expected to be better. Also, Beasley was the #2 option on that team. Gallinari was the #4-#5 option for most of the year (Lee, Harrington, McGrady, Chandler/Gallinari). Then there are the numbers:

I'll leave the efficiency debate to the advanced stats forum, because there is a lot more to efficiency than simple shots vs. points. There is overall FG%, assisted %, minutes and TOVs all to consider on who is the more efficient scorer.

Anyway you are kind of skewing the facts. For one, Beasley was the 3rd option on the Heat behind Wade & O'Neal. As far as the Knicks, Harrington basically never started, so it's kind of false to claim Gallinari was in his shadow... and McGrady played only 24 games as a Knick with most of them being injured and Gallinari was still taking more shots than him. In the starting lineup Gallo definitely was 2nd option

I think overall both of them were pretty much the 3rd options in the rotation which makes for a pretty good comparison. As I said their production was similar but they are regarded by their fan bases in two very different ways.

NYsFinest
10-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Exactly, Beasley was drafted #2 overall to be a sidekick and a #2 to one of the best players in the game. Not only does Wade open up the game for others, but Beasley was the clear cut 2nd option, he didn't have to deal with the Al Harringtons, Nate Robinsons, David Lees, Larry Hughes, (incompetent) Duhons and the rest trying to get theirs and theirs only. Gallo also wasn't healthy his first year so he is already a year behind Beasley in terms of experience, so while Beasley did not improve at all on his rookie season, Gallo kept right up with him in numbers in what was essentially his rookie year, coming off back surgery and no training camp or practice before the season started. So next year will really only been year 2 of his experience and growth in the NBA compared to Beasley's third.

Then we look into the numbers and see that Gallo had a MUCH better season than Beasley despite all that. As Giaps pointed out, he scored about 5.5% more points on almost 11% less shot attemps. Gallo took 11.4 shots per game, while Beasley took 13.3. Two extra shots per game to avegare less points does not count as the same season in my eyes. As a matter of fact Beasleys true shooting percentage (which measures efficiency) was a pathetic 50.5% compared to Gallo's 57.5%.

Gallo also doesn't have work ethic and character questions. He has that star quality about him and loves big moments. Beasley on the other hand has already been to rehab, has done absolutely nothing to help Wade and was given away for free so that Miami can sign 30 year old Mike Miller.

NYsFinest
10-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I'll leave the efficiency debate to the advanced stats forum, because there is a lot more to efficiency than simple shots vs. points. There is overall FG%, assisted %, minutes and TOVs all to consider on who is the more efficient scorer.

Anyway you are kind of skewing the facts. For one, Beasley was the 3rd option on the Heat behind Wade & O'Neal. As far as the Knicks, Harrington basically never started, so it's kind of false to claim Gallinari was in his shadow... and McGrady played only 24 games as a Knick with most of them being injured and Gallinari was still taking more shots than him. In the starting lineup Gallo definitely was 2nd option

I think overall both of them were pretty much the 3rd options in the rotation which makes for a pretty good comparison. As I said their production was similar but they are regarded by their fan bases in two very different ways.

A lot wrong with this post....for one O'Neal was only on the Heat for 33 games of Beasley's rookie season :facepalm: Unless you are talking about Jermaine... but he wasn't given as many opportunities as Beasley, plus he scored under 14ppg while taking only 10 shots, not much of a spotlight thief.

Second Harrington may not have started a lot, but he still had one of the most minutes on the team. If you had watched Knick games you would know that regardless what the roster was, it was full of greedy players on their final year that would all make sure they were "the #1 option" when they were out there. To prove he was surrounded by ball hogs, Gallo had a usage of 17.5 compared to Beasleys 23.3. That's a lot more touches for someone who scores less.

Lastly the fact that he attempted 2 more shots PER GAME and still had a higher scoring average.... im pretty sure that means he was more efficient.
But if thats not enough his TS% was 7% higher. You said assisted % mean a lot too... well gallo had a assist rate of 10.3 compared to Beasleys 7.3. If you also want to count TOVs, he had 8.4 rate compared to Beasleys 9.3.

Giaps
10-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Let's also throw in the fact that Beasley had a superstar teammate in Dwayne Wade creating open shots for him and everyone else. It's well known amongst Knick fans that guys would not pass to Gallo when they should have and he often times took shots with a hand in his face.

And stats don't tell the whole story but they tell a big part of it in this situation. To disregard that is just avoiding the reality of the debate IMO.

Dnovakovic099
10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
NY fans shut the hell up. He put up 15 points a game on a team that runs and chucks the ball up. I know what Stoudumbass was saying, but why say it if you aren't implying the future? Stoudumbass is trying to imply that Gallo may potentially be as good as Dirk, and everyone outside of NY knows that is not true. Gallo will NEVER EVER start in an all star game!!!!

Dnovakovic099
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I just remembered that Dirk was an MVP. HAHAHAHAHAH at Gallo ever winning an MVP award.

Giaps
10-07-2010, 03:19 PM
NY fans shut the hell up. He put up 15 points a game on a team that runs and chucks the ball up. I know what Stoudumbass was saying, but why say it if you aren't implying the future? Stoudumbass is trying to imply that Gallo may potentially be as good as Dirk, and everyone outside of NY knows that is not true. Gallo will NEVER EVER start in an all star game!!!!
Dnovakovic099, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

FlakeyFool
10-07-2010, 03:23 PM
in this room?

madiaz3
10-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Dnovakovic099, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

slamfan4life
10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I see the comparison...... both were born in Europe

OTHER THAN THAT, theres......they're both white

I hope Gal puts it together soon

Gators123
10-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Here's a comparison from Dirk's 3rd year to Gallinari's 2nd year.

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 Danilo Gallinari 2009-10 21 81 74 33.9 4.8 11.4 .423 2.3 6.0 .381 3.1 3.8 .818 0.8 4.1 4.9 1.7 0.9 0.7 1.4 2.4 15.1
2 Dirk Nowitzki 2000-01 22 82 82 38.1 7.2 15.2 .474 1.8 4.8 .387 5.5 6.6 .838 1.5 7.7 9.2 2.1 1.0 1.2 1.9 3.0 21.8

Rk Player Season Age G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
1 Danilo Gallinari 2009-10 21 81 2747 14.8 .575 .523 2.6 14.0 8.2 7.6 1.4 1.6 9.4 19.3 113 112 4.1 1.5 5.6 0.098
2 Dirk Nowitzki 2000-01 22 82 3125 22.8 .601 .534 4.4 22.1 13.5 9.4 1.3 2.3 9.5 23.8 118 100 10.3 4.3 14.6 0.224

I highly doubt Gallo will have as good of a 3rd year as Dirk did.

Look at Dirk's WS and PER.

NYsFinest
10-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Except Knicks were like 10th in the NBA in pace... and only had 1 possession per game more than the 15th. A true run and chuck team, the warriors, had almost 7 more possessions per game than the Knicks.

NYsFinest
10-07-2010, 03:42 PM

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 Danilo Gallinari 2009-10 21 81 74 33.9 4.8 11.4 .423 2.3 6.0 .381 3.1 3.8 .818 0.8 4.1 4.9 1.7 0.9 0.7 1.4 2.4 15.1
2 Dirk Nowitzki 2000-01 22 82 82 38.1 7.2 15.2 .474 1.8 4.8 .387 5.5 6.6 .838 1.5 7.7 9.2 2.1 1.0 1.2 1.9 3.0 21.8

Rk Player Season Age G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
1 Danilo Gallinari 2009-10 21 81 2747 14.8 .575 .523 2.6 14.0 8.2 7.6 1.4 1.6 9.4 19.3 113 112 4.1 1.5 5.6 0.098
2 Dirk Nowitzki 2000-01 22 82 3125 22.8 .601 .534 4.4 22.1 13.5 9.4 1.3 2.3 9.5 23.8 118 100 10.3 4.3 14.6 0.224

Gallo is only 100 games into his career... check Dirk 100 games into his. No one said he WILL make the jump, but 100 games in Gallo has actually been better than Dirk was.

Weezy
10-07-2010, 03:44 PM

:laugh2: oh man ... definitely worth being in the hall of fame posts.

Double_R
10-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Gallo is a nice player, but will never be like Dirk. There has never been a player like Dirk before, he is really an anomaly, if you think about it. Really the only thing they have in common is that they are both foreign players and they can both shoot. Dirk has a very unique game that is unmatched right now. Make no mistake, I am not a Dirk fan, nor a Mavericks fan, I could care less about either players, but I'm not gonna sit here and start comparing unicorns to ponies. They are not on the same level, they won't ever be on the same level, they are different types of players, they play in different systems. Now New York fans don't get pissed, I'm not saying that he can't be a good player, or even an allstar, but it is an injustice to Dirk and Gallo to sit hear and compare.

gsgs49
10-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah Dirk will finish a top 25 player all time. Hahahahaha smh. You poeple from TX are foolish. Drik isn't even a lock as a top 10 player this next season.

Players already better. Kobe, LJ, Wade, Durant, melo, CP3, D howard. Those guys are better for sure

Maybes
nash(?), d rose(with a big season its over), deron will(more imporant and valueable), rando(think that's the right spelling, a pg that is the new jason kidd. A triple double almost everynight) and I know I'm forgetting people

Dirks good but won't be one of the best 200 of all time. He's an avg all-star that would be forgotten if he was american.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm: Dirk is now 32 and he had scored 21111 points so he will finish with at least 27000 points that means he will be defenitely top 10 in scoring all time and he will be top 30 in overall all time and top 5 at his position.He is a MVP and he will finish with about 12 all star appearences.I don't see how there is 200 players better than him in basketball history,only if there is basketball players on other planets.And he won't be forgotten because his game style isn't similiar and isn't close to anyone in nba history.

Dnovakovic099
10-07-2010, 04:47 PM
If you New York fans think that Gallo is that good, and you feel like you need to bash my opinion then why don't we make a sig bet? If Gallo has the same amount of ppg and rpg this upcoming year as Nowitzki did when he was 22 you win, if not I win. I will even give you some leeway room. Gallo gets into the all star game you win. Ill even change it a bit if he either gets as many rebounds as Nowitzki or points you win. Anyone down? Or can you say Gallo is just as good as Nowitzki was when he was 21. Which I'm not denying, but why compare the two? There have been numerous players in the NBA that have had bad starts and have become amazing players. That means that they shouldn't be EVER compared to guys who score 15 ppg and have less than 7 rpg. Guys like Gallo first need to put up 20 and 7 or 8 (either apg or rpg) to be even put in a sentence with Dirk Nowitzki. So who wants to make that sig bet?

stoopboy45
10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Let me start by saying I am a life long.....and suffering.....Knicks fan of 42 yrs of age. I have seen alot in my time, but to compare Gallo to Dirk is not fair to either player....especially Dirk. Gallo has the potential be be very good. I think one of the biggest things people forget when talking about him is the fact that he will ONLY be 22 yrs old THIS year!!! He still has a ton of developing ahead and should get better every year. Dirk and Gallo are different players...Dirk is a more psyhical player while Gallo is basically a spot up shooter at this point. As he develops into a driving big, as he has started to show this year, Gallo will get better and score more because he is an excellant foul shooter and will go to the line a lot more if he drives.

DoJoTheSlasher
10-07-2010, 04:55 PM

Maybes

LOL at Dwight, Melo and Paul being better for sure......

Nash lol, Rose LMAO, Williams has a small argument and you can't even spell Rondo's name right......

You are so blind if you can't see how great a player Dirk is. He is a lock for 1st ballod HOF and a lock to be put in as one of the greatest 25 players of all time.

Lloyd Christmas
10-07-2010, 05:19 PM
:laugh2: oh man ... definitely worth being in the hall of fame posts.

Really? I'm all for quoting movies for laughs (See everything about my profile) but hall of fame?

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Facts greater than perception everytime

29$JerZ
10-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Amare is the next Zach Randolph now that he doesn't have Steve Nash.... book it.

A black hole who puts up empty stats that don't equate to wins until just recently?
No

Well Beasly was the 2nd pick and Gallo was the 6th. I think the fact both have similar stats (not advanced stats) shows both have a long way to go in reaching their potential. Beasly had Wade/O;Neal ahead of him while Danilo had Lee/Harrington take a large amount of the shots and didn't have the comfort of a star to open up space for him.

I've seen this used before, glad too see we haven't forgotten this :)

Well Danilo would have to be voted in as a coach pick because LeBron/Wallace/Pierce will be getting the majority of popular fan votes including Granger/Lewis/Smith who if healthy can make it as well.

However your claim is rather pathetic. Deron Williams didn't get to be an all-star for a while because of how stack the Guard position is in the West. Same applies to the forwards in the East. So yeah Gallo may not start for an All-star team but saying he'll never make it is just irrational. Also you fail at nicknames, Stoudumbass? That's not even clever.

It's true. However Gallo has a huge role this yr compared to his first 2 years. So the jury is still out, he can very well get similar stats. I think all NY fans will be grateful if he even plays as well as Dirk, the fact he has some similarities already at age 22 is a huge positive to look forward too.

Gallo is a nice player, but will never be like Dirk. There has never been a player like Dirk before, he is really an anomaly, if you think about it. Really the only thing they have in common is that they are both foreign players and they can both shoot. Dirk has a very unique game that is unmatched right now. Make no mistake, I am not a Dirk fan, nor a Mavericks fan, I could care less about either players, but I'm not gonna sit here and start comparing unicorns to ponies. They are not on the same level, they won't ever be on the same level, they are different types of players, they play in different systems. Now New York fans don't get pissed, I'm not saying that he can't be a good player, or even an allstar, but it is an injustice to Dirk and Gallo to sit hear and compare.

Dirk does look like a once in a life time player. Dirk is more of a mid-range master with the 3 as a secondary while Danilo is a sniper who can slash and does a little bit of everything.

Gallo imo is more along the lines of a Lewis/Peja who are just great shooters. However the fact he is young, has the mindset to complete his game and fix all weaknesses and wants to be vocal shows me he has a higher chance to reach a ceiling like a Dirk rather than just stay a shooter with an above average game.

Evolution23
10-07-2010, 08:40 PM
OMG I can't believe people are comparing Gallo to dirk! Gallo is 5x better than Dirk, no question, no doubt! :D

OG "Dee" LOCc
10-07-2010, 08:56 PM
gallo is no where close to dirks level. gallo is a god among men and if you dare compare him to a mear demi-god like dirk you are sadly mistaken and a confused soul

i bet you believe in santa too!!!

dodie53
10-07-2010, 09:03 PM
new york, new york
where idiotic cpmparisons are made out

hehe

ShadyOne
10-07-2010, 09:42 PM
new york, new york
where idiotic cpmparisons are made out

hehe

Nope..

The PSD NBA forum. Where people can't read, and where anything remotely related to NY is hated on. Really, it's true. And then if you haven't seen enough, go to the MLB boards, and see some more...

This was only turned into a real comparison of the 2, when people didn't read, and felt the need to bash a player..

Giaps
10-07-2010, 09:54 PM
For the record, I actually don't think Gallo will reach Dirk's level. He'll definitely be a good player and I believe he has all-star potential. I'm just here defending Amar'e from people who can't read, which is a whole lot of you.

beasted86
10-07-2010, 10:06 PM
A lot wrong with this post....for one O'Neal was only on the Heat for 33 games of Beasley's rookie season :facepalm: Unless you are talking about Jermaine... but he wasn't given as many opportunities as Beasley, plus he scored under 14ppg while taking only 10 shots, not much of a spotlight thief.

Second Harrington may not have started a lot, but he still had one of the most minutes on the team. If you had watched Knick games you would know that regardless what the roster was, it was full of greedy players on their final year that would all make sure they were "the #1 option" when they were out there. To prove he was surrounded by ball hogs, Gallo had a usage of 17.5 compared to Beasleys 23.3. That's a lot more touches for someone who scores less.

Lastly the fact that he attempted 2 more shots PER GAME and still had a higher scoring average.... im pretty sure that means he was more efficient.
But if thats not enough his TS% was 7% higher. You said assisted % mean a lot too... well gallo had a assist rate of 10.3 compared to Beasleys 7.3. If you also want to count TOVs, he had 8.4 rate compared to Beasleys 9.3.

I think you are confused about a lot. Shaq was never on the same team as Beasley... I'm talking about Jermaine. Jermaine O'Neal was the 2nd option on the Heat. Regardless of whether Beasley took 1 more shot than O'Neal per game the fact is we opened up the game feeding the ball to Jermaine always, not Beasley... and we closed out the game with O'Neal on the floor and Beasley on the bench. Those are clear signs who is the 2nd option and who is not.

2nd, I'll leave all most of the advanced stats discussion for the stats forum because if you search there I've gone over why some stats do not show who is a more efficient shooter or scorer. Anyway, when I said assisted %, that's what I meant, I did not say assist rate. Gallinari was assisted on more field goals than Beasley was. This is one of the various flaws I've gone over with TS% & eFG. If one guy shoots 60% eFG or TS% and is assisted on 90% of his FGs, and another guy shoots 55% eFG or TS% and is assisted on 10% of his FGs, is it not clear that eFG or TS% doesn't tell us anything at all about who is a better shooter?

But I digress from all of this discussion because my main point is both were primary scorers in the team's offense, and both have similar overall impact... maybe Gallo a little better offensively, and Beasley a little better defensively and rebounding... but overall pretty similar. The main point is they are still viewed very differently. One is a supposed franchise savior, and the other is now an outcast.

Angel2Maverick
10-07-2010, 10:15 PM

Maybes

Im speechless

save the knicks
10-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I think you are confused about a lot. Shaq was never on the same team as Beasley... I'm talking about Jermaine. Jermaine O'Neal was the 2nd option on the Heat. Regardless of whether Beasley took 1 more shot than O'Neal per game the fact is we opened up the game feeding the ball to Jermaine always, not Beasley... and we closed out the game with O'Neal on the floor and Beasley on the bench. Those are clear signs who is the 2nd option and who is not.

2nd, I'll leave all most of the advanced stats discussion for the stats forum because if you search there I've gone over why some stats do not show who is a more efficient shooter or scorer. Anyway, when I said assisted %, that's what I meant, I did not say assist rate. Gallinari was assisted on more field goals than Beasley was. This is one of the various flaws I've gone over with TS% & eFG. If one guy shoots 60% eFG or TS% and is assisted on 90% of his FGs, and another guy shoots 55% eFG or TS% and is assisted on 10% of his FGs, is it not clear that eFG or TS% doesn't tell us anything at all about who is a better shooter?

But I digress from all of this discussion because my main point is both were primary scorers in the team's offense, and both have similar overall impact... maybe Gallo a little better offensively, and Beasley a little better defensively and rebounding... but overall pretty similar. The main point is they are still viewed very differently. One is a supposed franchise savior, and the other is now an outcast.

Yeah according to synergy they are are pretty close in almost every category except Gallo has a clear edge in PNR ball hander and surprisingly on post ups. Beasley is clearly better in Isolation and transition. It is interesting that in transition Gallo hits 3s at 59% connecting on 26 of 44 attempts.

Beasley is not an outcast he is just a casualty of the big 3. Hell he will probably have a fine career in Minny. As for Gallo being a franchise saver, i would argue that a number 1 overall draft pick is supposed to be that rather than the 6th. If i were to compile a list of 6th overall picks since the 80s i bet the bust rate would be close to 60%.

and Amare isn't serious, he is just trying to pump that trade value for Mello. The guy is just hyperbolic

anyone know how to import the chart?

csenoner
10-07-2010, 11:00 PM
all these haters. its funny because dirk has said the same thing about gallo. that gallo is better now than dirk was at the same age. so when dirk says it its no even mentioned, yet when amare says it its an excuse to hate on gallo and amare? i mean amare has played heads up against dirk for the last 7 plus years. he knows how good dirk is. this isnt a slight to dirk. its praise of gallo. no one watches the knicks so you think gallo is just a shooter, but he can dominate without even shooting from outsie as he did at the end of the season. he can play 3 positions, maybe even 4 as hes growing and is damn near 6'11" at this point. he has a great basketball mind, he undestands the game, hes a competitor, he want s the pressure, he likes the challenge. he can shoot lights out, he has nasty handles and he has even developed a strong post up game. plus he can play he and he loves to guard the team;s best player. he doesnt shy away from that. fact is their games are not the same, but they are similar. dirk plays inside much more now than he did in his early days. gallo will do the same. i mean really they are both stretch 4s, gallo could be considered a 3, but he will be able to play the 4 with a guy like amare at center often this season. BTW, no one said hes as good as dirk. he said hes as good as or better than dirk was at the same age. thats the key. it shows that he has the potential to be an elite players. ask guys like melo who has gone one on one with gallo and who praises gallo.

QUIT HATING. I am a huge dirk fan, but I see the same promise in gallo. and thats no slight to dirk.

IndiansFan337
10-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Gallinari is not as athletic or as good off the dribble as Dirk was at that age.

Evolution23
10-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Dirk is the poor man's gallo. And gallo is the 2nd coming of larry bird.

Dnovakovic099
10-08-2010, 01:57 AM
For the record, I actually don't think Gallo will reach Dirk's level. He'll definitely be a good player and I believe he has all-star potential. I'm just here defending Amar'e from people who can't read, which is a whole lot of you.

So Stoudimire came in saying the comment with absolutely no intention of implying that Gallo could be something special. He just felt like telling the media that Gallo has the same if not better stats than Dirk when Dirk was his age. That is like LeBron coming out and saying hey Mario Chalmers has better stats then Jason Kidd when Kidd was his age. (Which is not true this is hypothetically speaking!) You think that LeBron would just say that statement without any meaning behind it? So do you think that Stoudimire has some hidden meaning behind that statement because me and 99 percent of the people who replied to this quote that aren't Knicks fans sure do. That is why he is stupid. I understand he is trying to be politically correct and he said it with the utmost respect to Dirk, but please don't put Dirk and Gall in the same sentence only cause they are tall European basketball players. Don't be racist. Compare him Rashard Lewis. So you Knicks fans that keep attacking people for not being able to read you as well as everyone else know that Amare didn't just say that without meaning anything behind it.

Kashmir13579
10-08-2010, 03:58 AM

:clap: how is gallo vs beasley even a debate at this point?

Kashmir13579
10-08-2010, 04:00 AM
So Stoudimire came in saying the comment with absolutely no intention of implying that Gallo could be something special. He just felt like telling the media that Gallo has the same if not better stats than Dirk when Dirk was his age. That is like LeBron coming out and saying hey Mario Chalmers has better stats then Jason Kidd when Kidd was his age. (Which is not true this is hypothetically speaking!) You think that LeBron would just say that statement without any meaning behind it? So do you think that Stoudimire has some hidden meaning behind that statement because me and 99 percent of the people who replied to this quote that aren't Knicks fans sure do. That is why he is stupid. I understand he is trying to be politically correct and he said it with the utmost respect to Dirk, but please don't put Dirk and Gall in the same sentence only cause they are tall European basketball players. Don't be racist. Compare him Rashard Lewis. So you Knicks fans that keep attacking people for not being able to read you as well as everyone else know that Amare didn't just say that without meaning anything behind it.

:laugh2::flag:

Crackadalic
10-08-2010, 05:46 AM
I remember how trash dirk was in the beginning of his career i said the same thing a lot of yall was saying about gallo then he become a mvp and one of the best European big men in nba history and should make the hall of fame my point is gallo has similar skillsets with dirk at around the age were not talking about stats or production just similar skillsets so instead of trying to hate on the guy just let the kid play his game when the season starts and will see if he can be a star or a bust

kgjfan243
10-11-2010, 08:24 AM
haha not even close

JayW_1023
10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Gallo will be really good...borderline all-star. But no superstar like Dirka Dirka.

beasted86
10-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Beasley is not an outcast he is just a casualty of the big 3. Hell he will probably have a fine career in Minny. As for Gallo being a franchise saver, i would argue that a number 1 overall draft pick is supposed to be that rather than the 6th.

Except that's the fundamental difference in perception. I didn't think Beasley would be the Heat franchise savior given his first 2 season's production, and I don't think Gallinari will be the Knicks franchise saviour given his first 2 seasons.

But Knick fans do... clear difference in how they value a good, but not great player.

nycericanguy
10-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Except that's the fundamental difference in perception. I didn't think Beasley would be the Heat franchise savior given his first 2 season's production, and I don't think Gallinari will be the Knicks franchise saviour given his first 2 seasons.

But Knick fans do ... clear difference in how they value a good, but not great player.

:confused: I'm on this forum almost everyday, and I don't think I've ever heard even one knick fan say Gallo will be the franchise savior...at least not in a serious context.

Giaps
10-11-2010, 02:07 PM

But Knick fans do... clear difference in how they value a good, but not great player.
No Knick fan views him as the franchise savior and obviously neither does management. Stoudemire is the clear #1 option... Gallo is the clear #2 (moving up from last year) and the Knicks would obviously love to bring in Melo in free agency over a trade. If that is the case then he would become a #3 so I don't see why you would think that we view him as a savior.

TheGoodGerman
10-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Dirk is very modest. He said the same stuff about Bargs. C'mon when they ask him the question he's not gonna be a dick.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Though, I'm not sure why someone should compare Gallinari to Dirk at age 20-something for any reason ? Compare apples and bananas, too ?

LeGacy is Music
10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Everyone is taking what he said way out of context. He said that Gallo reminds him of Dirk when Dirk was Gallo's Age. He didn't Say now obviously not yet but he has the potential

MacFitz92
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
The only similiarity between Dirk and Gallo is they both have white skin.

heyman321
10-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.

Though, I'm not sure why someone should compare Gallinari to Dirk at age 20-something for any reason ? Compare apples and bananas, too ?

Cause they're both tall jump shooting big men with similar games. It's not apples and bananas, it's apples and apples. You could throw Bargnani in here too, but the two italians will never amount to what Dirk is and has accomplished. Dirk revolutionized the way people look at PFs.

xabial
10-11-2010, 03:52 PM
The way i see it look at the debate this is getting. If gallo was nothing and it looked like he would never amount to nothing, He wouldnt even be in the same breath as dirk let alone as the conversation or thread. Nobody knows anything, Guys remember at one point Dirk was contemplating on returning to Europe because he wasnt cutting it in the NBA, Nobody knows what the future holds, stop hating.

Kashmir13579
10-11-2010, 04:02 PM
The way i see it look at the debate this is getting. If gallo was nothing and it looked like he would never amount to nothing, He wouldnt even be in the same breath as dirk let alone as the conversation or thread. Nobody knows anything, Guys remember at one point Dirk was contemplating on returning to Europe because he wasnt cutting it in the NBA, Nobody knows what the future holds, stop hating.

very true, but haters gon' hate.

mjqusoldier
10-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Who knows but for now lets let my man Gallo be Gallo and help the Knicks win some games

colinskik
10-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Before everyone goes all crazy here let Gallo do his thing this season. His role this year has grown, particularly because of all the greedy players who are no longer on the team.

The reason Knicks fans "overrate" Gallo, according to everyone else in this forum, is because we're the only ones who have watched every Knicks game the past several seasons. And as a guy who has watched Gallo play practically every game I know he has the potential to score at least 20ppg. ... perhaps even have a similar offensive output to Dirk, to bring it back.

Plus, from what I've seen in the first two preseason games and practices it seems like Gallo has been working on his toughness, rebounding and getting into better positions to grab boards. His game is not as one sided as everyone thinks, and with a capable PG (Felton) and a double-team-worthy presence down low (Amare) Gallo will surprise a lot of people with his improvement.

Point being, Gallo isn't the same player as Dirk, although they do have some similarities in their game. Most Knicks fans don't want Gallo to be Dirk but want Gallo to continue to improve and be uniquely Gallo. Since he's shown he can adapt to the way teams play him and continues to work on different parts of his game, I'm confident Gallo will be a big name in the NBA when it's all said and done.

AirJordanMJ23
10-11-2010, 05:01 PM
No.. just no.. Dirk has the swish, the flow, the smoothness of the shoot.. Gallo is kinda weird, but he can develop into one of the league's best 3 pointers

Tony_Starks
10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Is there like some other Dirk we don't know about thats really slow and unathletic and basically just catches and shoots and is extremely limited off the dribble that he is comparing him to?

The Dirk I've watched has waaaaaaaay more abilities than Gallo. Gallo is Radmonivich in Seattle.....

KnicksorBust
10-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Dirk Nowitzki - tall, European, shooter, unathletic, high bball IQ
Career TS% - 58%

Danilo Gallinari - tall, European, shooter, unathletic, high bball IQ
Career TS% - 58%

What a ridiculous comparison! :rolleyes:

Scalphunter13
10-11-2010, 10:44 PM
hey Amar'e I want to see you do something without steve nash teeing you up, you jabronie

NYKNYGNYY
10-11-2010, 11:46 PM

*******....maybe wen they actually win a championship you can say something he was saying a young dirk

beasted86
10-12-2010, 12:43 AM
No Knick fan views him as the franchise savior and obviously neither does management. Stoudemire is the clear #1 option... Gallo is the clear #2 (moving up from last year) and the Knicks would obviously love to bring in Melo in free agency over a trade. If that is the case then he would become a #3 so I don't see why you would think that we view him as a savior.

I've seen more than a handful of Knick fans say they wouldn't trade Gallinari for Carmelo even if they were assured of him signing an extension.

Giaps
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
I've seen more than a handful of Knick fans say they wouldn't trade Gallinari for Carmelo even if they were assured of him signing an extension.
Ya, because they'd rather just sign him outright next summer. Some would gut the team for him but many would rather wait and try to get him in the summer.

beasted86
10-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Ya, because they'd rather just sign him outright next summer. Some would gut the team for him but many would rather wait and try to get him in the summer.

So you would rather keep Gallinari and gamble with no assurance, rather than trade Gallinari, Curry, and a couple picks for an assured signing of Anthony?

Yeah, like I said, clearly different perception between the two fanbases on the value of good, but not great players.

Giaps
10-12-2010, 10:47 AM
So you would rather keep Gallinari and gamble with no assurance, rather than trade Gallinari, Curry, and a couple picks for an assured signing of Anthony?

Yeah, like I said, clearly different perception between the two fanbases on the value of good, but not great players.
Are you the Nuggets GM? Is that the offer the Nuggets want? No.

Reports have come out that it may take Gallinari, Randolph, Chandler (for 1st rounder), Douglas & Curry to get it done. Pass.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=nowitdi01&y1=2000&p2=gallida01&y2=2010

for anyone who cares, this is their year two comparison. Can't compare a prime Dirk with a player who is still growing. I don't think Gallo will become the offensive machine Dirk is personally, but as you can see, its not out of the question.

beasted86
10-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Are you the Nuggets GM? Is that the offer the Nuggets want? No.

Reports have come out that it may take Gallinari, Randolph, Chandler (for 11st rounder), Douglas & Curry to get it done. Pass.

Honestly we don't know what they want because I don't believe any "reports" without a name attached. 24 hours before Wade & Bosh signed "reports" had them going to Chicago 99% sure. I'm also 99% sure that "report" you just claimed is bullcrap since the Nuggets don't have the roster space to do a 4 or 5 for 1 trade. :facepalm:

Anyway back on topic, I'm just saying scenarios I have personally seen from Knick fans that said they were unwilling to trade Gallinari. I've specifically seen more than 1 or 2 or 3 Knick fans say something along the lines of 'I'll give up Chandler, Randolph or whoever else, but not Gallinari' ....clear as day.

HOZ THE KNICK
10-12-2010, 11:06 AM
i see a lot of you never seen gallo play or his potential but with that being said he's not dirk but he will turn some heads this season he will break out

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I keep thinking Rashard Lewis when I watch Gallo. Peja even, but taller.

Giaps
10-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm also 99% sure that "report" you just claimed is bullcrap since the Nuggets don't have the roster space to do a 4 or 5 for 1 trade. :facepalm:
I don't need a report to tell me that it's going to take way more than Gallinari and some 1st rounders to get it done and it's obvious Denver is fishing to get the best deal out there.

And I said Chandler would be shipped for a 1st rounder which would then be sent for Melo. Curry would be waived and Denver can include JR Smith or other throw-ins. No need to spin my post as we both know that it could be possible.

beasted86
10-12-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't need a report to tell me that it's going to take way more than Gallinari and some 1st rounders to get it done and it's obvious Denver is fishing to get the best deal out there.

And I said Chandler would be shipped for a 1st rounder which would then be sent for Melo. Curry would be waived and Denver can include JR Smith or other throw-ins. No need to spin my post as we both know that it could be possible.

Yeah you are getting completely off topic... the point was and still is there are many Knick fans that say they are willing to basically trade away most guys on the roster but not Gallinari even if Melo signed an extension. Many Knick fans value him more than his actual worth is, which means they think he's your franchise savior and will become nearly as good or better than Carmelo by himself. Last season 9 out of 10 Heat fans were willing to trade Beasley for Bosh if it was guaranteed we would get him locked into an extension.

That's the critical difference I've spent the last couple posts trying to explain. So to recap.... Beasley basically = Gallinari in stats and impact. Heat fans thought Beasley was only average, Knick fans believe Gallinari was great. Many Heat fans were willing to trade Beasley, picks, and roster fillers for Bosh. Many Knick fans aren't willing to trade Gallinari, picks, and roster fillers for Carmelo. That about sums up the difference.

Giaps
10-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah you are getting completely off topic... the point was and still is there are many Knick fans that say they are willing to basically trade away most guys on the roster but not Gallinari even if Melo signed an extension. Many Knick fans value him more than his actual worth is, which means they think he's your franchise savior and will become nearly as good or better than Carmelo by himself. Last season 9 out of 10 Heat fans were willing to trade Beasley for Bosh if it was guaranteed we would get him locked into an extension.

That's the critical difference I've spent the last couple posts trying to explain. So to recap.... Beasley basically = Gallinari in stats and impact. Heat fans thought Beasley was only average, Knick fans believe Gallinari was great. Many Heat fans were willing to trade Beasley, picks, and roster fillers for Bosh. Many Knick fans aren't willing to trade Gallinari, picks, and roster fillers for Carmelo. That about sums up the difference.
You cannot compare Beasley to Gallinari and assume everything else is the same because there are variable like where each team stands and what other players are on the team.

Miami had Wade and were already a top 5 team in the East so using Beasley who had so far been a disappointment to get Bosh was an easier decision.

The Knicks only now got Stoudemire and are one of the youngest teams in the league trying to make the playoffs for the 1st time in years. The Knicks are obviously higher on Gallinari than the Heat were on Beasley.

And nobody honestly thinks Gallo will be better than Melo. It has more to do with him being young, cheap and still having the possibility of getting Melo later. That is what it comes down to... if Melo was on a 3 year deal then you would see more fans willing to trade Gallo and whoever else for him.

Mplsman
10-12-2010, 02:00 PM
This is laughable.

beasted86
10-12-2010, 02:09 PM
You cannot compare Beasley to Gallinari and assume everything else is the same because there are variable like where each team stands and what other players are on the team.

Miami had Wade and were already a top 5 team in the East so using Beasley who had so far been a disappointment to get Bosh was an easier decision.

The Knicks only now got Stoudemire and are one of the youngest teams in the league trying to make the playoffs for the 1st time in years. The Knicks are obviously higher on Gallinari than the Heat were on Beasley.

And nobody honestly thinks Gallo will be better than Melo. It has more to do with him being young, cheap and still having the possibility of getting Melo later. That is what it comes down to... if Melo was on a 3 year deal then you would see more fans willing to trade Gallo and whoever else for him.

As I pointed out, some were saying they weren't willing to do the trade even with Carmelo locked into the extension. And for discussion sake the Heat obviously got Bosh without trading Beasley, but I was just pointing out that Heat fans were willing to trade him with full knowledge they could sign Bosh outright in the summer anyway just like the Knicks could do with Carmelo. Many of us knew that a Beasley/Bosh combo couldn't work and somebody would be playing out of position or on the bench... Knick fans view it differently and think Carmelo & Gallo can play SG/SF or SF/PF at the same time. :shrug:

Well... it was just an observation I made on how the two fan bases looked at a similar situation with similar players, but Gallinari is a good player, just like Beasley was... but Miami's gamble paid off, maybe the Knicks will as well, then they can decide what they want to do with Gallinari afterwards.

Tony_Starks
10-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I know the good fans of NY are desperate for a player to be excited about but in all reality Gallo is not that great. If your starving in the desert a bologna sandwhich is going to be the most awesome meal you ever had, but in reality its still just a bologna sandwhich.

With his limited skill set he can progress to being a nice 3rd, maybe 2nd option on a good team(and thats a big maybe). I repeat ON A GOOD TEAM. But to put him in the same breath as Dirk is laughable at best......

Giaps
10-12-2010, 04:48 PM
As I pointed out, some were saying they weren't willing to do the trade even with Carmelo locked into the extension. And for discussion sake the Heat obviously got Bosh without trading Beasley, but I was just pointing out that Heat fans were willing to trade him with full knowledge they could sign Bosh outright in the summer anyway just like the Knicks could do with Carmelo. Many of us knew that a Beasley/Bosh combo couldn't work and somebody would be playing out of position or on the bench... Knick fans view it differently and think Carmelo & Gallo can play SG/SF or SF/PF at the same time. :shrug:

Well... it was just an observation I made on how the two fan bases looked at a similar situation with similar players, but Gallinari is a good player, just like Beasley was... but Miami's gamble paid off, maybe the Knicks will as well, then they can decide what they want to do with Gallinari afterwards.
Well, best case scenario Melo signs with NY (not nearly as many competitors in 2011 as there were in 2010) and if any of the numerous reports are true that he wants to team up with Amar'e in NY then it's entirely possible. Then hopefully our young talent like Gallo, Randolph, Chandler, Douglas etc. improve and improve their trade value paving the way for a blockbuster trade for CP3... wishful thinking but if these young assets get better then it could be a strong package.

Kashmir13579
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=nowitdi01&y1=2000&p2=gallida01&y2=2010

for anyone who cares, this is their year two comparison. Can't compare a prime Dirk with a player who is still growing. I don't think Gallo will become the offensive machine Dirk is personally, but as you can see, its not out of the question.

i posted this 2345 pages back and nobody seemed to take notice. people would rather hate than look at the facts.

Kashmir13579
10-12-2010, 05:02 PM

whatever man. Gallo > Beasley on and off the court. and i'm one that wouldn't trade gallo for melo. melo is crazy overrated and gallo is crazy underrated. plus he loves the knicks, nyc, and playing in the garden. he is no doubt the fan favorite, which could not be said about beasley when he was in miami.

MIKE&IKE's
10-12-2010, 05:20 PM
as hawkeye posted, per 36 min. gallo averaged 1 point less than dirk in each of their first full seasons. so while id say its not out of the question entirely its still a long shot. however, im sure most of you have not seen gallo play on a consistent basis because this kid could game. everyone knows he has the shot, but his game is expanding plus he's already an average to above average defender and no one gives him credit.

uprightciti
10-12-2010, 05:30 PM
The only similiarity between Dirk and Gallo is they both have white skin.

your kidding me right?

FlakeyFool
10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Bargnani is more dirk then gallo. Gallo is rashard lewis 2.0

Becks2307
10-12-2010, 06:48 PM
can't wait for this season, eat em GALLO!

Giaps
10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I'd rather have Gallo than Bargnani.

Kashmir13579
10-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I know the good fans of NY are desperate for a player to be excited about but in all reality Gallo is not that great. If your starving in the desert a bologna sandwhich is going to be the most awesome meal you ever had, but in reality its still just a bologna sandwhich.

With his limited skill set he can progress to being a nice 3rd, maybe 2nd option on a good team(and thats a big maybe). I repeat ON A GOOD TEAM. But to put him in the same breath as Dirk is laughable at best......

the same could be said about Kevin Love so lets not go there. and nobody knew by dirks second season he would turn out to be this good. so its not laughable, in the right context its completely logical.

Tony_Starks
10-12-2010, 08:19 PM
the same could be said about Kevin Love so lets not go there. and nobody knew by dirks second season he would turn out to be this good. so its not laughable, in the right context its completely logical.

Kevin Love has waaaaaaay more skills than Gallo. He can crash boards, shoot, and pass all very well. In limited minutes, mind you. Gallo had all the minutes he wanted on a garbage team and is still basically limited to catch and shoot.

Also Kevin Love is recognized as having game by basically everyone, whereas the majority of people outside of NY are not impressed by Gallo at all....

knicksfan42
10-12-2010, 08:43 PM
In limited minutes, mind you. Gallo had all the minutes he wanted on a garbage team

Kevin Love: 29 MPG (W-L)15-67

Gallo: 34 MPG (W-L) 29-53

Also Kevin Love is recognized as having game by basically everyone, whereas the majority of people outside of NY are not impressed by Gallo at all....

Right, because people like to hate on New York. Your bias for instance, is obvious, as shown in the first quoted portion of my response. You call 29 MPG limited minutes, because you are talking about a non-Knicks player. When talking about a Knicks player however, 34 MPG becomes ''all the minutes he wanted.'' Then you single the Knicks out for having a bad season by calling them a garbage team, you must have forgotten the Wolves won about half as many games as the Knicks. Jesus could be playing for the Knicks leading them to infinite 82 win seasons (and championships) and people outside of New York (you included) wouldn't be impressed.

nycericanguy
10-12-2010, 09:07 PM

yea, no. It took Bargs 3 years to put up the numbers Gallo did in what was basically his rookie season. Gallo is also 2 years younger, when Bargs was 22 he averaged 10ppg, Gallo just turned 22 BTW.

beasted86
10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Kevin Love has waaaaaaay more skills than Gallo. He can crash boards, shoot, and pass all very well. In limited minutes, mind you. Gallo had all the minutes he wanted on a garbage team and is still basically limited to catch and shoot.

Kevin Love has more skills than Gallinari?
News to me.

Maybe my initial assumption was wrong. I guess fans just jump on any particular bandwagon they choose and hold on for dear life. You'd think Gallinari and Love were all-stars listening to some fans, and that Beasley was a D-league player listening to others... when the mere fact is all 3 of these guys are just good/borderline-average and none of them have proven they are a franchise talent yet.

Giaps
10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Kevin Love is good but he's getting props now simply because he got some face time on team USA. The Knicks had little to no face time last year. I expect people will see a lot more from Gallo this year as the Knicks finally have some national exposure.

Evolution23
10-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Kevin Love is comparable to David Lee not Gallo. Gallo is comparable to Turk, Barg, and Lewis. I think when its all said and done Gallo will be the closest thing to Dirk than any of these players. He has the mindset to be successful and the work ethic.

40oz
10-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Well they do have the same amount of rings....

godolphins
10-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Gallanari=Dirk :laugh:
Stoudamire=:facepalm:

Tony_Starks
10-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Kevin Love: 29 MPG (W-L)15-67

Gallo: 34 MPG (W-L) 29-53

Right, because people like to hate on New York. Your bias for instance, is obvious, as shown in the first quoted portion of my response. You call 29 MPG limited minutes, because you are talking about a non-Knicks player. When talking about a Knicks player however, 34 MPG becomes ''all the minutes he wanted.'' Then you single the Knicks out for having a bad season by calling them a garbage team, you must have forgotten the Wolves won about half as many games as the Knicks. Jesus could be playing for the Knicks leading them to infinite 82 win seasons (and championships) and people outside of New York (you included) wouldn't be impressed.

Perhaps I should've said "Gallo started, Love didn't." IMO Gallo had the advantage of being in a 3pt happy (led the league in attempts) offense that caters to his game, and still wasn't that impressive. Love on the other hand came off the bench and its pretty well documented that the majority of the free world outside of Kurt Rhambis couldnt believe he wasn't starting. So when comparing Gallo having free reign vs Love having to fight to stay on the floor it did seem like "all the minutes he wanted," forgive me for not having the stats in hand....

But you are right, the Wolves were a garbage team as well. In the tougher West mind you, but still garbage. But this whole "everybody hates New York" thing please brotha get over it. I got news for you, when teams suck for a long time, people make fun of them. Ask the Clippers. Ask the Wolves. Ask New Jersey..... Its par for the course my friend.

Baller1
10-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Kevin Love is good but he's getting props now simply because he got some face time on team USA. The Knicks had little to no face time last year. I expect people will see a lot more from Gallo this year as the Knicks finally have some national exposure.

Yeah, but now Kevin Love is going to be given a starting role and be a main piece on the T'Wolves this season.

It's not like Minnesota was a getting a bunch of attention last season.

HeaTxRipZz
10-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Perhaps I should've said "Gallo started, Love didn't." IMO Gallo had the advantage of being in a 3pt happy (led the league in attempts) offense that caters to his game, and still wasn't that impressive. Love on the other hand came off the bench and its pretty well documented that the majority of the free world outside of Kurt Rhambis couldnt believe he wasn't starting. So when comparing Gallo having free reign vs Love having to fight to stay on the floor it did seem like "all the minutes he wanted," forgive me for not having the stats in hand....

But you are right, the Wolves were a garbage team as well. In the tougher West mind you, but still garbage. But this whole "everybody hates New York" thing please brotha get over it. I got news for you, when teams suck for a long time, people make fun of them. Ask the Clippers. Ask the Wolves. Ask New Jersey..... Its par for the course my friend.

Damn for a Knicks fan you sure don't seem like it in the NBA forums.....Undercover much? lol I'm just messin around....this thread was getting a bit too serious for no reason

knicksfan42
10-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Right.... Love had to fight to stay on the floor for the Timberwolves last season. Coming off the bench or starting doesn't matter as long as you're getting the minutes, and Kevin was definitely going to get the minutes.

But this whole "everybody hates New York" thing please brotha get over it. I got news for you, when teams suck for a long time, people make fun of them. Ask the Clippers. Ask the Wolves. Ask New Jersey..... Its par for the course my friend.

People making fun of a team is one thing, what I was talking about is blatant bias when commenting on a team.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2010, 09:52 AM
I would take Kevin Love over Gallo all day long. He brings waaaaaaaaaaaaay more to the game.

Slimsim
10-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I would take Kevin Love over Gallo all day long. He brings waaaaaaaaaaaaay more to the game.

As a knicks fan I would take love as well. His rebounding is what we lack and he also has a three point shot. I think Love will have a break out season before Gallo Since amare will take the pressure off him. Beasley and love are the go to guys and will grow faster.

Giaps
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
This went from Gallo vs Dirk to Gallo vs Beasley to Gallo vs Bargnani to Gallo vs Love....

C'mon son.

HOZ THE KNICK
10-13-2010, 11:09 AM
this is hilarious all i have to say is tune in, knicks have a lot of national exposures this season on tv just watch and pay attention than jump on the bandwagon that's all.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2010, 11:12 AM
This went from Gallo vs Dirk to Gallo vs Beasley to Gallo vs Bargnani to Gallo vs Love....

C'mon son.

haha, touche man. Sorry, I just chimed in on the last page of stuff. I will butt out haha

Hawkeye15
10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
this is hilarious all i have to say is tune in, knicks have a lot of national exposures this season on tv just watch and pay attention than jump on the bandwagon that's all.

well, I love Gallo, and I have always liked watching Randolph, so I will catch more than my usual 8-10 Knick games this season.

HOZ THE KNICK
10-13-2010, 11:18 AM
well, I love Gallo, and I have always liked watching Randolph, so I will catch more than my usual 8-10 Knick games this season.

1 thing is for sure he's not going to be dirk but his ceiling should be 15ppg 5 reb 5 ast with solid D with that being said ppl need to just let him be him and belive this or not he will bring a lot to the table especially when amare get doubled down in the post i can't wait for these doubters are proven wrong.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2010, 11:20 AM
1 thing is for sure he's not going to be dirk but his ceiling should be 15ppg 5 reb 5 ast with solid D with that being said ppl need to just let him be him and belive this or not he will bring a lot to the table especially when amare get doubled down in the post i can't wait for these doubters are proven wrong.

I posted pages ago I liken him to Rashard Lewis. Take away Lewis's horrendous contract, and I like him a lot as a player. As Gallo wisens up on shot selection, and how to use screens, he will be deadly on the perimeter. If he can develop a penetration type mentality when closers chase him, he could benefit from a lot of free throws as well. But we need to see if that develops before we throw Dirk in there.

HOZ THE KNICK
10-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I posted pages ago I liken him to Rashard Lewis. Take away Lewis's horrendous contract, and I like him a lot as a player. As Gallo wisens up on shot selection, and how to use screens, he will be deadly on the perimeter. If he can develop a penetration type mentality when closers chase him, he could benefit from a lot of free throws as well. But we need to see if that develops before we throw Dirk in there.

i agree dirk is borderline hall of fame type player that's why i said ppl need to let gallo be gallo until proven otherwise.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2010, 11:31 AM
i agree dirk is borderline hall of fame type player that's why i said ppl need to let gallo be gallo until proven otherwise.

word

Hawkeye15
10-13-2010, 11:32 AM
and really, all this hoopla in this thread is being generated from Amare trying to instill some major self confidence in his teammate, which I find completely fine.