PDA

View Full Version : Do you sometimes resent/hate some of your own fans???

Broadwayjoe NY
10-06-2010, 05:30 PM
While I was joking around in another forum, I began thinking of one of the most annoying things in all of sports. When your team becomes immensely more popular over night and than tickets are scarce to come by...does this bother you??

Having spent my undergraduate years in Boston and now my Graduate years in Philly, I have always loved going to sporting events, regardless of being a die-hard Yankees/Jets/Knicks/Rangers fan. I loved being able to grab a cheap ticket at the Garden and walk down to the more expensive seats and see the game up close. But than the Cs had to go and get awesome over night and tickets automatically became more expensive and walking down wasn't an option.

Same thing happened to the 76ers as soon as iverson came back this year. I used to be able to get 4 tickets, a few pretzels, the cheerleader calendar as well as get to meet all of them for like 10 bucks...now that's exaggerating, but there was that package for a while for a reasonable price.

Now, I'm not one to be bitter because my team is now great. I would gladly accept 30 million bandwagon fans if the Knicks would win the title. However, my point was that on some level do you start to dislike fans of your own team, because you know how fairweather and bandwagony they are?? How they haven't gone through the down and outs with your team and yet are usually the ones being the most obnoxious when your team wins?? And how because it's now trendy, they are sitting in better seats and making it more difficult for you to get them??

Kashmir13579
10-06-2010, 05:32 PM
yea i feel ya man. interesting post.

Iggz53
10-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I do all the time.

Especially when I hear people in the UC booing John Paxson, Jalen Rose, etc. or because they didn't get their damn Big Macs since we won 95-78. They make me absolutely sick.

Broadwayjoe NY
10-06-2010, 05:51 PM
yea i feel ya man. interesting post.

It's a bit different with us being knicks' fans, as MSG has been pretty fully for as long as I've been alive. Obviously it has to do with the immense size of NYC, but also the reliability of our fans. I've been fortunate enough to know one of the dancers who get tickets, but if not for her I would definitely be going much less.

And don't get me going on the people in the luxury boxes. I got so pissed one time, because half the people in there didn't know our starting 5 nor were they even talking about basketball. I left and grabbed a seat with some exec in the knick' FO. He saw how annoyed I was getting and told me to follow him and he brought me down to where the scouts would sit. Top 5 experiences at a knicks' game ever.

I do all the time.

Especially when I hear people in the UC booing John Paxson, Jalen Rose, etc. or because they didn't get their damn Big Macs since we won 95-78. They make me absolutely sick.

Exactly man. I've said four lettered words to some fellow fans a few times, when I heard them complain about fouling in the last minute of the game, because they had somewhere to be. And we were down by 3 at the time...and wins weren't coming in bunches for us Knicks over the last decade haha

Burkey3472
10-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Yes.....Philly fans do some stupid **** sometimes.

footballer2369
10-06-2010, 05:53 PM
i'm a heat fan : \

Avenged
10-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Laker fans.. :pity:

Thank God I root for the team, not the fans. :p

Broadwayjoe NY
10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
I get it, it's a business and it's awesome for my team to sellout games, their luxury boxes and the expensive seats. But just once, I wish during the games they would ask team questions to some of those fans sitting up close. so, can you name your starting 5?? no, ok can you name three of your starting 5?? ok no, umm your head coach?? jesus man, can you at least tell me your teams' name?? I would pay to see that happen.

smiddy012
10-06-2010, 06:23 PM
There's a select three or four Bulls posters who just mentally-ill or something...

Baller1
10-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Laker fans.. :pity:

Thank God I root for the team, not the fans. :p

Yeah luckily for you... :p

junion
10-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Laker fans... Dammit! There are many illogical and bandwagon fans and homers. This is just as bad as being an illogical and bandwagon hater. I don't like either of them.

But I agree, I'm glad I cheer for the team, not the fans.

ShaqShoes
10-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Never. Toronto has some die hard fans. Not so much for basketball but for hockey.

TheWatcher34
10-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I get it, it's a business and it's awesome for my team to sellout games, their luxury boxes and the expensive seats. But just once, I wish during the games they would ask team questions to some of those fans sitting up close. so, can you name your starting 5?? no, ok can you name three of your starting 5?? ok no, umm your head coach?? jesus man, can you at least tell me your teams' name?? I would pay to see that happen.

someimes these luxury boxes that you mentioned before are used for a business meeting of some corporate institution...or some partnership assoc..whatever. they are simply used for the reason to impress the other bone-head executive in order to help and support negotiations. of course they know nothing about the players nor the game. but for them to sit in the boxes is just to brag, show off, impress and signify their "elite status".
you're from new york, u should know how superficial and materialistic it can get.

jp611
10-06-2010, 07:21 PM
bulls fans can be idiots

Giaps
10-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, I've been getting tickets to Knicks games every year for the past 6 years when they've been dreadful and all of a sudden this year tickets are hard to come by and some games (Lakers, Heat) are triple the price.

That's what annoys me.

heattiltheend94
10-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes. Not because they are bandwaggoners, but because of the tasteless, and stupid comments they make since the Decision.

Bruno
10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
You can't judge any entity by the actions or words of individuals who support it. If that were the case I would have stopped listening to the Grateful Dead years ago. Have you ever sat next to a DeadHead? Just because that guy smells like last weeks trash, doesn't make the music any worse.

Sly Guy
10-06-2010, 07:39 PM
yeah, it bugs me. I remember when I was like 18, the raps 2nd season with vince and t-mac, I went to a game vs sacramento, and it was sold out. I'd been to countless games in seasons before, and sac-town was my fav opponent, but the fair-weather fans pissed me off. Good game tho, one of the all-time classics

Geargo Wallace
10-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Nope I love my fellow Raps fans. Most of us boo former Raps players, which is fun and all. I don't know why ppl say we should let it go. It's all fun and makes being a fan a hell of a lot more fun.

J_M_B
10-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Oh yes, I dislike a lot of them..

As a Heat fan, there are so many more posters in the Heat forum, since "The Decision". They give our fanbase a bad image. I would metion a few names, but that would probably get me an infraction..

PurpleJesus
10-06-2010, 08:16 PM
certain or particular fans...yes, but the fan base...never.

Being a timberwolves fan, it sometimes frustrates me that we have such few fans watching games, or even showing interest, but I know the interest can be there as we consistently put up high attendance numbers in the KG days...but the low numbers as of late are more geared toward the product on the court, as opposed to the fans.

But in any sport, and in any fan base, you can see crude fans...that crudeness represents the individual, not the fan base

Heater4life
10-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Oh yes, I dislike a lot of them..

As a Heat fan, there are so many more posters in the Heat forum, since "The Decision". They give our fanbase a bad image. I would metion a few names, but that would probably get me an infraction..

Theres one in particular thats driving me nuts. funny thing is im sure you know exactly who im talking about.....:eyebrow:

oh well, heres a toast to all the intelligent fans on PSD. May i disagree with you, and your teams fail. :clap: :clap: :clap:

netsgiantsyanks
10-06-2010, 08:32 PM
meh. im pretty neutral on net fans. but im a fan of the team, not the fans.

ManRam
10-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I disagree with a lot of Magic fans very frequently. It's probably because A) I've never been obsessed with Dwight and I don't constantly preach about his awesomeness, mainly because his obvious flaws frustrate me and B) I'm pretty objective. I'm not the type of fan who will gloat and make crazy predictions about my team...and I will predict that they will lose if I feel that way. I guess I'm less of a homer than some of the other guys :shrug:

So yeah...I resent a lot of things Magic fans say sometimes.

AddiX
10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I hate the fact so many Knick fans want to trade for everyone not on our team. But Zeke had something to do with that so I have to give them some lead way.

hotpotato1092
10-06-2010, 08:55 PM
It's definitely more fun to be a fan of an indie team. The "us against the world" feeling is hard to match. There are so few opportunities to root for a team like that, I try to take advantage when I can. I was a huge supporter of the '07 Giants from the middle of november on, and when january came and they just kept winning, eventually knocking off the pats, it was the most rewarding experience I'd ever had as a sports fan. As a Jets fan, I can say this year has been somewhere between 7 and 13% less fun because of the bandwagon fans and the haters. I want to enjoy rooting for my team, not be chastised for it.

dnewguy
10-06-2010, 10:03 PM
oh yes, i dislike a lot of them..

As a heat fan, there are so many more posters in the heat forum, since "the decision". They give our fanbase a bad image. I would metion a few names, but that would probably get me an infraction..

theres one in particular thats driving me nuts. Funny thing is im sure you know exactly who im talking about.....:eyebrow:

Oh well, heres a toast to all the intelligent fans on psd. May i disagree with you, and your teams fail. :clap: :clap: :clap:

u mad?

kArSoN RyDaH
10-06-2010, 10:50 PM
dnewguy is probably one of those heat fans that the heat fans dont like hahahaha

but i dont really dislike or resent laker fans. i love them to death because no matter what they always stick up for the lakers. but its this same thing that i hate. the stereotype that has been placed on laker fans that because we are laker fans we lack the ability to think rationally about things. it kind of gets annoying but im used to it.

Avenged
10-06-2010, 10:57 PM
dnewguy is probably one of those heat fans that the heat fans dont like hahahaha

but i dont really dislike or resent laker fans. i love them to death because no matter what they always stick up for the lakers. but its this same thing that i hate. the stereotype that has been placed on laker fans that because we are laker fans we lack the ability to think rationally about things. it kind of gets annoying but im used to it.

Somewhat true.

Theres a lot of high quality Laker posters, but there are also a lot of irrational Laker homers as well. The same can be said about any fan base though, except that the Lakers fan base has more posters on here than others so of course we get noticed more.

Tell you what though, outside of PSD, every Laker fan is just a regular fan who loves their team like no other while giving respect to others teams and players. It's only here on PSD where it seems like the place is surrounded by middle school kids.

WolvesJagsOs
10-06-2010, 11:26 PM
^agreed. But, Wolves fans on here are pretty knowledgable and know what there talkin about for the most part imo.

Baller1
10-06-2010, 11:53 PM
I just miss my fans. :(

R.I.P. Sonics

Giaps
10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
I just miss my fans. :(

R.I.P. Sonics
The Nets should move to Seattle. They need a team. Maybe you guys will get the Kings.

G-Bay New J
10-07-2010, 01:03 AM
The Nets should move to Seattle. They need a team. Maybe you guys will get the Kings.

I'm down, If my Nets are in the Western Conference that means I can see them more than once a year.

I can understand last year when we weren't fun to watch at all, but I hated it in previous years when there would only be like 900 fans at a game. If I lived close to the Prudential Center I would have season tickets for sure.

blastmasta26
10-07-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't hate other Knick fans, but some of them can be annoying occasionally when they make extremely biased comments. But I think that's present in every fanbase, just more noticeable with the Knicks fans because there are so many of us.

kArSoN RyDaH
10-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Somewhat true.

Theres a lot of high quality Laker posters, but there are also a lot of irrational Laker homers as well. The same can be said about any fan base though, except that the Lakers fan base has more posters on here than others so of course we get noticed more.

Tell you what though, outside of PSD, every Laker fan is just a regular fan who loves their team like no other while giving respect to others teams and players. It's only here on PSD where it seems like the place is surrounded by middle school kids.

yeaah the good posters definately outweigh the bad. but its the bad posters that give laker fans on PSD a bad rep.

yeah i agree. laker fans outside of PSD arent as immature as the ones here but for some reason laker fans have this negative image.

Baller1
10-07-2010, 01:39 AM

Then I wouldn't know what to do. Both teams (New Jersey and OKC) are on the rise, and I'd just look like a bandwagon fan for both; I think?

The problem is, I don't know if it would ever be the same; knowing we got someone else's team and ours is in OKC.

dnewguy
10-07-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't hate other Knick fans, but some of them can be annoying occasionally when they make extremely biased comments. But I think that's present in every fanbase, just more noticeable with the Knicks fans because there are so many of us.

No disrespect, but I don't even know any Knicks fan. Maybe it's due to the fact that I don't really pay attention to fans that I dont have to worry about their team.

mikealike305
10-07-2010, 09:14 AM
im a heat fan :/ nuff said

DenButsu
10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
on some level do you start to dislike fans of your own team, because you know how fairweather and bandwagony they are??

The worst Nuggets fans were the Boykins fans.

And the worst Deadheads were the clappers.

asandhu23
10-07-2010, 09:24 AM
The only Warriors fans I dislike are fans who hate Monta for his overspun out of context by media interview in which he stated that the Curry-Ellis backcourt wasn't going to work which is something everyone said at the time.

DaBUU
10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
There's a select three or four Bulls posters who just mentally-ill or something...

:whistle:

Korman12
10-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes. As a Philly fan, yes.

Absolutely no patience for anything. Not all, but a good amount.

Good thread.