PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Reasons Why You Think Your Team Will Meet Your Expectations For The 2011 Season

ko8e24
10-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Some team's fans think that their team is destined to win an NBA Championship in 2011.

Some team's fans think that their team, after not making it to the postseason for so many years, will finally make the postseason in 2011.

Some team's fans think that their team, who used to be good but have broken up their core, will be bound for the lottery in 2011.

Whatever your expectations are for your team, what are the 5 Main Reasons why you feel your team will meet your expectations.

For example:

My team: Los Angeles Lakers

Expectation for 2010-2011: 3-peat, NBA Championship

5 Main Reasons

1) Phil Jackson: His final coaching season. He will do whatever it takes strategic-wise, mental games-wise, and experience-wise to end his career with his 4th 3-peat. He maybe be hiding some tricks that he's discovered throughout the years that he will finally unveil as his head coaching career comes to an end. Phil wins titles in sets of 3's.

2) Kobe Bryant: His quest to be the greatest ever and match Michael Jordan's 6 NBA Championships serves as his main motivation. He also doesn't want to be the guy that couldn't get Phil his last title in his last season as Lakers head coach. Michael got Phil a title in Phil's last season with Chicago, so Kobe should feel obligated in winning Phil a title in Phil's last season with LA. And it would be even sweeter that he wins the championship with this whole Miami Heat fiasco that's going on in South Beach and with his nemesis Shaq joining the hated Boston Celtics.

3) The much improved depth, skill-level, and basketball IQ of the Lakers' bench. With the acquisitions of Steve Blake, Matt Barnes and Theo Ratliff, and the 2 rookies in Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter, the Lakers have probably the most cohesive, high IQ, system-based bench unit in the NBA offensively and defensively.

4) Andrew Bynum: The growth of this young kid will be huge. The beginning of the season is the portion that he will miss (his annual injury bug), and after he gets over that and heels, he will be the healthiest he's been in the last 4 championship runs. His bulk, length, exuberance and skill-level will put the Lakers over the top as the Lakers become even more stacked in the front court with his return and contributions.

5) Loss to Detroit in 2004/Loss to Boston in 2008: Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher know how it feels to lose and get embarrased on the biggest stage that is the NBA Finals. When you have guys like them leading you, and have experienced the bitter taste of defeat (as well as guys like LO, Pau, Sasha in '08 and Luke in '04 & '08), this team has learned from defeat, which has made them one of, if not, potentially the best defensive unit in the NBA. Defensive rebounding is the key, and this team knows how to do it!

So what are the expectations for your ball club, and 5 reasons why you feel your team will meet your expectations for them.

evadatam5150
10-06-2010, 01:17 AM
Yeah I don't know, I'm a bit twisted when it comes to the Lakers.. I guess a lot of it depends on injuries and Bynum, what guy is he going to be if he returns a 100% from his surgery.. Kobe has a knee and finger issue, Walton's always a question mark and Fish is getting older.. I'm not sold on Blake yet and does the addition of Ratliff really help at this stage of his career..?? They're just older and more prone to injury and I am almost positive that Phil won't allow the kids to play as is within his normal operating procedure..

They are obviously still the cream of the crop out West but one has to wonder how they're going to score against some of the tougher defenses in the East especially if Bynum doesn't show up as he is prone to do..

kArSoN RyDaH
10-06-2010, 01:20 AM
ko8e24! welcome back bro!

ko8e24
10-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah I don't know, I'm a bit twisted when it comes to the Lakers.. I guess a lot of it depends on injuries and Bynum, what guy is he going to be if he returns a 100% from his surgery.. Kobe has a knee and finger issue, Walton's always a question mark and Fish is getting older.. I'm not sold on Blake yet and does the addition of Ratliff really help at this stage of his career..?? They're just older and more prone to injury and I am almost positive that Phil won't allow the kids to play as is within his normal operating procedure..

They are obviously still the cream of the crop out West but one has to wonder how they're going to score against some of the tougher defenses in the East especially if Bynum doesn't show up as he is prone to do..

All fair points, but championships are won by contesting shots and defensive rebounding, and limiting offensive opportunities and possessions for the other team. The '04 Pistons weren't the most talented offensive team, but they had the best defense, which is why they won that yr against a heavily favorited, offensively-oriented Lakers team.

And thank you KarsonRydah bro!

gbpackers12
10-06-2010, 01:29 AM
My team won't be very good. If we overachieve, we'll steal a 7 or 8 seed in the East. Other then that, I think we'll barely miss the playoffs and win just enough games to screw ourselves out of a nice draft pick. :shrug: Maybe that's me being pessimistic, but I just have that feeling. We're not good enough to threaten anyone in the playoffs, but we aren't bad enough to be the number 1 overall pick in the draft (without some lottery luck). I don't really have a list of reasons.

evadatam5150
10-06-2010, 01:36 AM
All fair points, but championships are won by contesting shots and defensive rebounding, and limiting offensive opportunities and possessions for the other team. The '04 Pistons weren't the most talented offensive team, but they had the best defense, which is why they won that yr against a heavily favorited, offensively-oriented Lakers team.

And thank you KarsonRydah bro!

Have to agree with the defense statement for sure.. But you still have to score and stay healthy to a certain degree for cohesiveness.. But one thing you can say about this team is that with Kobe, Artest, and Barnes you have 3 tough lock down type defenders and when you have that it certainly get's contagious with the rest of the team.. It's going to be an interesting season for sure..

mully
10-06-2010, 01:36 AM
I expect the Knicks to make it to the playoffs

ko8e24
10-06-2010, 01:37 AM
My team won't be very good. If we overachieve, we'll steal a 7 or 8 seed in the East. Other then that, I think we'll barely miss the playoffs and win just enough games to screw ourselves out of a nice draft pick. :shrug: Maybe that's me being pessimistic, but I just have that feeling. We're not good enough to threaten anyone in the playoffs, but we aren't bad enough to be the number 1 overall pick in the draft (without some lottery luck). I don't really have a list of reasons.

Your organization should look to trade both Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince. Some other teams out their may be 1 or 2 pieces away from contending, and those 2 guys could very well be valuable assets. Plus, you guys will put yourselves in the best position to possibly be the worst team (record-wise) and set up for the #1 pick in 2011 NBA draft. And you retrieve some cap space.

ko8e24
10-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I expect the Knicks to make it to the playoffs

I do as well. Amare will be an offensive beast in D'antoni's system, Wilson Chandler and Gallinari will come into form, and Felton will be a good mentor to a young guy like Toney Douglas. I expect them to get the 8th seed.

evadatam5150
10-06-2010, 01:47 AM
I do as well. Amare will be an offensive beast in D'antoni's system, Wilson Chandler and Gallinari will come into form, and Felton will be a good mentor to a young guy like Toney Douglas. I expect them to get the 8th seed.

Amare has to show up and be a beast in the paint and stop shooting so many jumpers... The Knick's have to have this guy filling up the middle and doing a lot of the dirty work.. They have shooters and they have guy's who can spread the floor out which means Amare can't settle, dude needs to do his work in the paint for the Knick's to succeed..

Hoopsadvocate
10-06-2010, 02:19 AM
I like this thread it lets me sum it all up in one post. Too bad its too long to put in a sig as i get tired of repeating it. But here it goes.

Team: HEAT
Expectations : NBA championship
Reasons:

1. We had a top ranked defensive team last year with a much worse defensive cast: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2010.html As u can see we were ranked 6th out of 30. This year we upgraded emensly at two positions (sf and pf) Our defense should there for be even better. If we were top 6 with beasley and q rich then, with lebron (a first team all nba defender) and chris bosh (>>>beasley defensilvey) top 4 isnt out of the question.

2. There is no way to guard all 3 of the big three at the same time: Wade and James demanded double teams and sometimes even triple teams bosh wasnt usually doubled but he was a good amount of time. Even when other teams rely on these methods it still couldnt stop them individually (though it may have prevented them from scoring a crazy amount) Now that they have each other on the same side there arent enough defenders to guard them efficiently. If you double lebron and double wade u have 1 player left to account for bosh and two other heat players that could be wide open. And with the playmaking ability of lebron and wade this will mean we WILL get our points no matter what.

3. Veteran bench: Most were starters not to long ago ( Haslem 2 years ago and on the 06 championship team, BIg z 2 years ago and when cavs went to the finals, Carlos arroyo last year and for the magic in the 07-08 season, Miller on the wizards and memphis for many years) They know there roles they dont mind taking lesser roles so no confrontation just a bench filled with invaluable experience that is crucial during the playoffs.

4. Perfect role players with lots of varitey: If we need a pg who plays d and stretches the floor we have Chalmers. If we need one who takes care of the ball (2nd best assist to turnover ratio last year) and runs the offense smoothly when wade or lebron dont want to we have Arroyo. If we need players to stretch the floor we have Mike Miller and eddie house. If we need an athletic shot blocker to protect the rim without slowing down the fast breaks we have Joel. If we need a center to stretch the floor and create space while adding offense we have big z. If we need bulk and toughness in the paint for certain players we have magloire (and now pitmann looks as if he can do it too). How about a good defensive pf who can get a double double on any given night in comes Udonis Haslem. Theres not one thing we arent prepared for with out variety of players.

5. Lebron, Wade, Bosh: There talent is undeniable. But talent cant do it all there also unselfish and good playmakers. Maybe if they were greedy ballhogs, who never played with each other, and had no relationship with one another i could see a cause for concern but they dont. There good friends the chemistry is already there, the selflessness is already there. the desire is already there, the talent is already there. All signs point to greatness.

Avenged
10-06-2010, 02:41 AM
1. pg- Fisher
2. sg - Kobe
3. sf- Artest
4. pf- Gasol
5. c- Bynum

Sums it up for a Laker fan ;)

and welcome back ko8e24, keep it together this time.

Hoopsadvocate
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Some team's fans think that their team is destined to win an NBA Championship in 2011.

Some team's fans think that their team, after not making it to the postseason for so many years, will finally make the postseason in 2011.

Some team's fans think that their team, who used to be good but have broken up their core, will be bound for the lottery in 2011.

Whatever your expectations are for your team, what are the 5 Main Reasons why you feel your team will meet your expectations.

For example:

My team: Los Angeles Lakers

Expectation for 2010-2011: 3-peat, NBA Championship

5 Main Reasons

1) Phil Jackson: His final coaching season. He will do whatever it takes strategic-wise, mental games-wise, and experience-wise to end his career with his 4th 3-peat. He maybe be hiding some tricks that he's discovered throughout the years that he will finally unveil as his head coaching career comes to an end. Phil wins titles in sets of 3's.

2) Kobe Bryant: His quest to be the greatest ever and match Michael Jordan's 6 NBA Championships serves as his main motivation. He also doesn't want to be the guy that couldn't get Phil his last title in his last season as Lakers head coach. Michael got Phil a title in Phil's last season with Chicago, so Kobe should feel obligated in winning Phil a title in Phil's last season with LA. And it would be even sweeter that he wins the championship with this whole Miami Heat fiasco that's going on in South Beach and with his nemesis Shaq joining the hated Boston Celtics.

3) The much improved depth, skill-level, and basketball IQ of the Lakers' bench. With the acquisitions of Steve Blake, Matt Barnes and Theo Ratliff, and the 2 rookies in Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter, the Lakers have probably the most cohesive, high IQ, system-based bench unit in the NBA offensively and defensively.

4) Andrew Bynum: The growth of this young kid will be huge. The beginning of the season is the portion that he will miss (his annual injury bug), and after he gets over that and heels, he will be the healthiest he's been in the last 4 championship runs. His bulk, length, exuberance and skill-level will put the Lakers over the top as the Lakers become even more stacked in the front court with his return and contributions.

5) Loss to Detroit in 2004/Loss to Boston in 2008: Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher know how it feels to lose and get embarrased on the biggest stage that is the NBA Finals. When you have guys like them leading you, and have experienced the bitter taste of defeat (as well as guys like LO, Pau, Sasha in '08 and Luke in '04 & '08), this team has learned from defeat, which has made them one of, if not, potentially the best defensive unit in the NBA. Defensive rebounding is the key, and this team knows how to do it!

So what are the expectations for your ball club, and 5 reasons why you feel your team will meet your expectations for them.

A couple flaws in these reasons:

1st bold - This just sounds rediculous... why would he have been hiding something when he was planning on retireing last year. On top of that if he was hiding something that important to help him win a title he would look dumb for hiding it since he should have used it in 08 agains the celtics if that were the case. You cant just say ____ has a secret weapon because hes been saving it. You sound like a 12 y/o kid playing with toys the real world doesnt work that way these guys are professionals they leave it all out on the floor especially in the finals when titles are at stake.

2nd bold - you dont know that. Thats very wishful thinking and to have something like that as a big reason why youd win sounds foolish. ONe can hope of course but thats not a legitmate reason why ur team WILL meet expectations as ur title says. If that were the case anybody could say something they hope will happen and use that as a reason why there team could reach expectations. For example lets say a wolves fan comes in here and said one of the reasons the Wolves will make the playoffs is that michael beasley will avg mvp numbers and help take his team to the finals. Thats wishful thinking and has never happened before so in a reality not likely and not a legit reason. Regardless Bynum has never been "huge" for you guys that credit goes to kobe and gasol your giving him way to much credit for stuff hes never done and expecting him to do things that are exaggerations.

3rd bold (pretty much all of reason 5) this whole statement contradicts it self as a reason. WHy? If your reason for winning it all is that they have experienced defeat before and therefor will not experience it again then why didnt they learn from it the first time they lost in the finals? Whos to say they wont lose this year in the finals also and then u could say next year " a reason they wont lose is because they already lost in 05,08,and 2011 so they learned from all those loses and wont lose now". Or if this was 08 u would have said "they already losed once in the finals in 05 and know how it feels so they wont lose again this year in 08" Youd be wrong as that doesnt matter obviously. People have lost before and that doesnt mean ur impervious to losing again just because u know how it feels.

rockets-fan
10-06-2010, 12:36 PM
houston rockets

i expect the rockets to make the playoffs and advance to the second round or wcf.
why?

1.the return of yao ming- i know that he hasnt played in a while, but yao will get back into it as the season progresses. the reason for his 24 minute game limit is to rest him and heal him untill playoffs. mlast year the rockets went 42-40 without yao and having chuck hayes, a 6 fooot 6 inch player play starting center. yao will bring our top defensive team back along with being able to dominate down low.

2.kevin martin- a full offseason with martin will greatly improve our offense. as everyone knows, hes one of the most effecient scores in the game and with yao and scola kicking it out to him and brooks and battir, our three point game will be sharp as ever.

3.brad miller- finally a real center back up for yao. no more scola or hayes being played at center. his relationship with adleman and his passing ability will increase our points and if yao goes down he have a quality starting center to take his place.

4. great bench- brooks,lee,budinger,hill,patterson will all bring alot of improvement this year and alot of energy which wins games for the rockets. we finally have a backup sg in lee which we greatly needed and our roster is stacked at every position. great for the playoffs.

5.LUCK- if we can get lucky and keep martin and yao healthy, we can compete with anybody

GO ROCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikantsass
10-06-2010, 12:58 PM
1. Doc Rivers- He is a top 3-4 coach in the league. He is great at handling personalities and veterans. Also, he knows the system inside and out.

2. Team chemistry- The core of this team has now been playing together for a few years now. They know each other's stregnths, weaknesses, habbits, moves and all in all have a feel for each other on both ends of the floor. Also, it helps that the big 3 (all vets) have known the other vet additions (Oneal, Oneal, Delonte etc) for years and are friendly with them.

3. Bench depth- Boston has one of the deepest benches in the league. They have guys like big baby, nate, daniels who have been on the team for a couple years and are comfortable in their roles. Once Perkins returns, both Oneals will be coming off the bench to provide some serious frontcourt depth.

4. Defense- The team has made its presence felt on the defensive end for the past 3 years and it will continue as long as KG is the anchor of the team. Even with Thibs in chicago, the C's will still be a top defense team.

5. Rajon Rondo- With all of the vets on this team, Rondo should have his best statistical season in terms of assists. He will be able to set the table so to speak for all of the guys around him. As Rondo keeps getting better, these "old" vets will get a lot of easy looks.

Rafer17
10-06-2010, 04:12 PM
1. Doc Rivers- He is a top 3-4 coach in the league. He is great at handling personalities and veterans. Also, he knows the system inside and out.

2. Team chemistry- The core of this team has now been playing together for a few years now. They know each other's stregnths, weaknesses, habbits, moves and all in all have a feel for each other on both ends of the floor. Also, it helps that the big 3 (all vets) have known the other vet additions (Oneal, Oneal, Delonte etc) for years and are friendly with them.

3. Bench depth- Boston has one of the deepest benches in the league. They have guys like big baby, nate, daniels who have been on the team for a couple years and are comfortable in their roles. Once Perkins returns, both Oneals will be coming off the bench to provide some serious frontcourt depth.

4. Defense- The team has made its presence felt on the defensive end for the past 3 years and it will continue as long as KG is the anchor of the team. Even with Thibs in chicago, the C's will still be a top defense team.

5. Rajon Rondo- With all of the vets on this team, Rondo should have his best statistical season in terms of assists. He will be able to set the table so to speak for all of the guys around him. As Rondo keeps getting better, these "old" vets will get a lot of easy looks.

Put Rondo at #1 and I agree with your list!