PDA

View Full Version : How much will Jose Banktista?

masTOR_shake1
10-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, what do you guys think will be the terms of Jose's next contract assuming he signs an extention in the off-season?. All indications,speculations and hunches are welcomed including what he would land on the open market even if he comes back down to earth next season :up:.

Jays Claw
10-05-2010, 05:05 PM
He's already stated that he wouldn't mind going through arbitration with us.

masTOR_shake1
10-05-2010, 05:08 PM
/ what will he land if arbetration goes down?

JaysFan87
10-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey guys, what do you guys think will be the terms of Jose's next contract assuming he signs an extention in the off-season?. All indications,speculations and hunches are welcomed including what he would land on the open market even if he comes back down to earth next season :up:.

pretty much what carlos pena got after the 2007 season. 3/24 seems fari and reasonable for both sides. assuming both want a long term contract.(not a given)

JaysFan87
10-05-2010, 05:12 PM

5M minimum.

JetLi
10-05-2010, 05:26 PM
pretty much what carlos pena got after the 2007 season. 3/24 seems fari and reasonable for both sides. assuming both want a long term contract.(not a given)

I agree, I think it will be about 3/$24 or so. I'd be willing to make the first 2 years a slightly heavier on the contract (ie: 8.5/8.5/7/10 (option year)) in case we need to trade him in a few years and a team option year that's a little higher to make it more to make it fair with a $1.5 buyout - giving him $8.5 for 3 straight years as his worse case scenario. If he continues to kick butt for the next 3 years, he's guaranteed we'll pick up the 4th year, if he struggles a little we can trade him or use him to get assets.

With Halladay and Ryan coming off the books, we should have money, why not make one or two contracts slightly more top heavy to give us long term flexibility?

wowzman
10-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Buster Olney video blog on Jose

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5650684&categoryid=2378529

Gibby
10-05-2010, 11:09 PM

In olney video posted below he says 5-6 Million and most likely they will go into arb and not sign him to an exstention.

statquo
10-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Keep in mind that GM Alex Anthopoulos has never gone to an arbitration hearing, either as GM or when he worked on arbitration cases under J.P. Ricciardi. The Blue Jays have successfully avoided hearings since 1997, but if they do go to arbitration, the team figures to submit an offer of $7.5-8MM, Vlessides said.

The Bottom Line

Bautista’s ‘true value’ in arbitration (not to be confused with what he’d earn as a free agent) is below $10MM and likely sits around $8-9MM, Vlessides said.

Keeping Bautista Long-Term

A long-term deal for Bautista could take on many different shapes, depending on the team's willingness to offer guaranteed money and Bautista's eagerness to capitalize on his big season. Per team policy, the Blue Jays declined to comment on the team’s interest in reaching a multi-year deal.

The first year of the deal would likely be worth $8MM or so and the following seasons could be worth $14-17MM. Beyond that, there are many variables, but Vlessides can imagine the sides agreeing on a two-year deal worth $25MM including buyouts for vesting options.

That depends, of course, on the Blue Jays’ faith in Bautista to approach or replicate his 2010 level of production and their desire to please the fan base with a feel-good move. Don’t forget that Bautista became a fan favorite in Toronto, where crowds greeted him with ‘MVP’ chants and showered him with standing ovations.

So while Bautista hasn’t set himself up for a Ryan Howard or Alex Rodriguez-esque deal, those 54 homers seem to have ensured him an $8MM payday next season. Not bad for a guy who was supposed to be a utility player.

mlbtraderumours

I think 7 or 8 is fair. How long would 'long term' be?

wamco
10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
let next season play out as we have the option to do so, then make a determination of how much he is worth.

2009mvp
10-14-2010, 02:31 PM
but Vlessides can imagine the sides agreeing on a two-year deal worth $25MM including buyouts for vesting options

I wouldn't hate that, just because we don't have anyone at 3B who he'd be blocking. Even if he sucks the next two years it's not killing the team longterm payroll-wise, and if he continues to perform being under contract can only help his trade value.

Bob Loblaw
10-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Not money related but, Bautista just had Sports Hernia Surgery eventhough it had been bothering him since MAY!!! no wonder he had a down year lol

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=338183

GNick
10-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I predict a 3/30 million type contract. Biggest increase in homeruns in MLB history has sold me on Bautista.